Page 448 of 620 FirstFirst ... 348 398 438 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 458 498 548 ... LastLast
Results 11,176 to 11,200 of 15490
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Two days and two flats.
    Happened to me this summer...turned out I didn't slowly feel all the way around the tire for anything sharp or rough good enough.

Sure enough after the second flat, I did, and found a very small piece of wire just sticking through so it irrittated the tube till it leaked...about 30 minutes of riding.

mtbr member
    Some dumb lady in an SUV ran her red light nearly creaming me.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

I Ride for Donuts
    ... spend twelve point two minutes pumping it up to an acceptable pressure ...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Whoa, separated headtube !?! Scarry!
    Wow, that`s a view, Woodway!
    No close calls for me yesterday. If I saw any vehicles on the road, I don`t remember them. Seriously windy, though. Still in shorts + jacket, but not for long. Will probably take my thin `clava and a pair of gloves with me today in case I want them for the ride home tonight, probably add long johns soon. And this morning I had to smoke on the sunny side of hte house- wasn`t long ago I was looking for shade.

twelve point two minutes
    Somebody needs to sell a fat pump to make a little dough off you fat riders. Maybe like one of those matress pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    She slows down next to me, pulls out the iPhone and takes a picture of me. I'm now expecting her husband to run me off the road with his F-350, I'm actually legitimately nervous.
    Don`t worry. She`s probably just going to use it as an inspirational screen saver
    Recalculating....

local trails rider
    Leaving work, the sun was shining - and then there was a short flurry of teeny tiny miniature snowballs. Too compact to call flakes, too soft to call hailstones

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    there was a short flurry of teeny tiny miniature snowballs. Too compact to call flakes, too soft to call hailstones
    It sounds like you really got graupelled on - Graupel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    On a recent commute home from work on a busy road a passenger in a car screams out to me "Get a Car!". It sparks a soap box style rant in my head. What's the message there??? Be sedentary? Use up fossil fuels? Increase your carbon footprint? I finally let it go...or, did I?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingRunner View Post
    On a recent commute home from work on a busy road a passenger in a car screams out to me "Get a Car!". It sparks a soap box style rant in my head. What's the message there??? Be sedentary? Use up fossil fuels? Increase your carbon footprint? I finally let it go...or, did I?
    Haha, I do the same thing. I picture what I WANT to say, but never do. I can never think of a response quickly enough.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Block, time to go tubeless and get some monkey nuts!

Moderator Moderator
    I saw some new bikers this morning, seriously safety concious with full reflective gear and helmets. They were going really, really, slow, probably due to their seriously out of true wheels, so I managed to get a pic of one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1020519.jpg  

mtbr member
    I had a great ride in today. My new route added a mile each way but was so worth it. 45 degrees in the morning, 65 degrees in the afternoon and sunny! Not many more of these kind of days left.
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er

mtbr member
    Got new tires from UPS yesterday and out 'em on. What happens 2.5 miles into the commute? Flat. Nasty metal shard embedded deep into the new rubber. Other than that, it's been good. Chilly in the morning but bearable. Tomorrow will be another try with the new tires.

weirdo
    I walked out to my bike today to leave for work and saw a goat head sticking out of the front tire. Pulled it out and heard an instant PPPSSSS. Crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    They were going really, really, slow, probably due to their seriously out of true wheels, so I managed to get a pic of one...
    Ah, yeah- those new low spoke count wheels, I see. Almost new and already out of true.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Awesome commute today! My first MTB Trail commute since I startied commuting in July. A fun, slightly muddy, really beautiful way to start the day. The ride finishes along a corn field. So cool!

MTB, Road, Commuting

Cross Bike Trail Commute

This corn is aMAIZEingly tall.
    How was your commute today?-2013-09-25-18.02.47.jpgHow was your commute today?-2013-09-25-18.07.12.jpg

I took rolling runner on her first trail commute this morning, same trail, different bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    This corn is aMAIZEingly tall.
    *shakes head*

I Ride for Donuts
    Corny, bedwards. Corny

I Ride for Donuts
    I had some tubeless drama yesterday... I use old valve stems cut out of presta tubes, and they work great for tubeless use, until eventually the metal 'stem' part separates from the little bit of rubber part that you leave attached, which is what forms a seal against the inside of the rim... I've had a couple of them separate over the past 4 or 5 years, and it's always when you go to add air and you wiggle it or move it.

This past summer I got some Stan's stems for my mountain bike, and they totally eliminate this potential issue, but I haven't gotten around to getting them for the commuter.... maybe I will now I put some air in the commuter tires in the morning, rode to work, and then the rear was strangely low after work. No issues in the morning. It had enough air to limp down the road to do the errand I was going to do, and then I went to put air in it... got the pump on there, a couple pumps, and then woooosh. I was meeting the wife anyway, so I walked the rest of the way rather than mess with my spare tube.

I took the opportunity to rotate my tires last night, which I've been meaning to do, and in the process I realized that it was past time to add sealant anyway. I ALSO found about 6 pokey little goathead spikes sticking down into the tires when I ran my fingers along the inside...the heads had long since broken off. Glad I didn't put a tube in...wouldn't have lasted long

mtbr member
    Had finally got the new A-530 clipless pedals, and the platform sides are.....lacking. Good sized for the purpose but so little grip that any shoe will slip off wet or dry. Gonna have to do the pin modifications that are recommended. Also checked out a weird lumpy feeling in my rear tire when rolling (not flat and no bubbles but it felt like there was a lump in the tire), when I took the treads off the rim the tube was covered in rubber dust. Not sure what it means, so I just swapped tires from the 29x60's I had on to the old 29x40's I had in the parts bin. I forgot how the narrower the tire the more twitchy and less stable the bike gets (had the biggun's on for more than a year now), but she is definitely lighter and faster to accelerate.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Corny, bedwards. Corny
    I rode the Felt "CornThief" It is a field of cow corn so I don't think it is going to be good eatin corn.

How was your commute today?-2013-09-25-19.06.37.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Block, time to go tubeless and get some monkey nuts!
    I'm really toying with the idea of ghetto tubeless, just haven't quite committed to making the leap yet. The funny part is that it had been over a year since my last flat. Pulled the tire last night and couldn't find anything in the tire that should be causing flats, but both tubes had the hole in the same area of the tube. Maybe when I changed it out yesterday morning I knocked whatever it was out of the tire. I also lined the tire itself with Anti-monkey butt powder (Don't have standard talcum and I prefer my tires to have a bit of a mentholated scent) and gave the inside of the tire a good rubdown last night before remounting and airing up. So far, so good. No tire issues this AM. Plenty of other issues though. I must be losing my mind or something.

Forgot my badge for work, my ID card for the bus, and, most importantly, my bike lock. I normally leave that on the rack at work, but yesterday I got a ride home as I had to pick up some parts for my furnace in town so the wife came in to town and we ran the errands. I had grabbed the lock to lock the bike to the rack, but ended up just throwing it in the back seat, where it sits still. Good think Freddy's is just across the street.

Pretty darned sad that even in a building with massive security presence, so much so that if they see you on camera talking on your cell while driving in the lot or driving without a seatbelt, they will give you a ticket, bikes get stolen in broad daylight from the rack out front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I rode the Felt "CornThief" It is a field of cow corn so I don't think it is going to be good eatin corn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-09-25 19.06.37.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	834864
    Most definitely NOT good eating. Though when I was young and growing up around farms in the midwest, we'd use the kernels for sling shot ammo. Fun times.

mtbr member
    Just got back from a 30 mile (+/-) ride with errands. That @#$*&^$ FSA crank bolt came loose on me again 3 times even though it was torqued down when I replaced it. Gonna have to go to the Loctite, even though I don't like using it. Great products but if natural tension won't keep a bolt tight, I tend to believe there's a larger problem... like a design flaw.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Yesterday, WET, today, WET, Just snow already!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingRunner View Post
    Awesome commute today! My first MTB Trail commute since I startied commuting in July. A fun, slightly muddy, really beautiful way to start the day. The ride finishes along a corn field. So cool!
    Welcome RollingRunner!