Page 444 of 632 FirstFirst ... 344 394 434 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 454 494 544 ... LastLast
Results 11,076 to 11,100 of 15776
    I Ride for Donuts
    I ride dirt bikes too, and I STILL can't make myself switch the ones on my mountian bike

I transition instantly without thinking about it, but it would be a disaster if I switched the brakes on the MTB to match the right hand front thing of the dirt bike.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    No commute today. Feeling tired and wanted a recovery day before Blue Diamond mt. biking this weekend.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Doesn't look so bad in the photos but it's chest deep and moving fast- no, I didn't try to ride it.
    Good call, stay safe out there. Whereabouts are you?

One Colorful Rider

9 9 ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Good call, stay safe out there. Whereabouts are you?

SW New Mexico.

mtbr member
    Flat tires, wobbly rear hub and no "oomph" describes my commuting this week perfectly. It has not been an enjoyable week.

mtbr member
    This morning I felt like I was flying to work, I checked my computer when I got here, it was actually a relatively slow commute. Tomorrow morning is going to be in the low 40's when I leave for work, will be the coldest day of the year so far. The following morning will be high 30's, but I'll be in Maine for 5 days, so just 2 commutes this week.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Hey Normbilt, we haven't seen you around these parts for a while. Nice pics.

I made up for my lack of commuting on Friday with a 66 mile group ride on Saturday and a few hours of MTB with wifey on Sunday. I put some road friendly but still knobby cross tires on the new Felt and rode that with the group. It was nothing short of awesome to ride over rough pavement, sand, grass and trails with almost no penalty. The rain held off for the weekend.

The rain came back for this morning's commute.

I Ride for Donuts
    The hands were cold this morning...1st time. Considering 'level 2' gloves. They weren't numb, just cold, so I think I'll hold out.

mtbr member
    36F when I left the house this AM. Hat and fleece gloves times are here again. Chilly, but not overly so. The ride was quick and, most importantly, dry.

mtbr member
    Still really warm this morning at about 60F, and it's supposed to get to 80F. That's pretty unseasonable, and it looks like the temperatures will be heading down to normal starting tomorrow.

Last week I decided that my 29er had passed "nicely dirty for a mountain bike" a long time ago, and was now somewhere around "zero pride of ownership." It got a full wash&wax, and so of course today it's supposed to rain for the first time in forever.

Moderator Moderator
    I guess I have not really gotten the hang of this new "drive part way" bikecommute which I have been doing since I adopted a dog... I say this because on Friday I locked not one but two sets of car keys in the car (of course I did not discover this until I pedaled back to the car after work), and today I forgot my helmet at home (again!). Other than that it's been fine, though wet again this morning. I was pleasantly surprised when a coworker who passed me in her car later said "I saw that guy cut you off at Kinney Drugs".

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Just like phi: 36, Sunny, Icy Bridges, Loving these Fall commutes!

Broke out the "level-3" gloves, could have gone with "level-2" but like the added warmth. Wool long underwear, wool hoody, wool socks, wool hat, jersey and shorts. Cold to start but toasty warm after a mile. Love my wool!!! ;p

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Raised my seat height about a 1/4 inch....

Noticable difference for the knees and butt...

Think I will leave it this way for a while.

Natural Born Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I guess I have not really gotten the hang of this new "drive part way" bikecommute which I have been doing since I adopted a dog... I say this because on Friday I locked not one but two sets of car keys in the car (of course I did not discover this until I pedaled back to the car after work), and today I forgot my helmet at home (again!). Other than that it's been fine, though wet again this morning. I was pleasantly surprised when a coworker who passed me in her car later said "I saw that guy cut you off at Kinney Drugs".
    Don't worry, you"ll get the hang of the "drive part way". I have to have my truck for work, so I drive in Monday morning and drive back home Friday afternoon, commute by bike in between. For the longest time I was always forgetting something vital either for driving or for riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Last week it felt like fall was taking hold--this week, well, feels like summer is attempting its final stand. Close to 80F for the ride in and about 103F for the ride home. Last week unseasonably cool and this week unseasonably warm. Think the winds are supposed to kick in tomorrow and blow this hot air out of here. Rest of week should be low 90s on the peddle home. Can't believe some of you are peddling to work in the 30s.

mtbr member
    Hey Jeff, you're pretty happy with your duckbill skigoggles right? Anything you'd do differently if you were buying another pair?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Met up with rodar today and we went for a ride on Orcas Island. Unfortunately the weather was crap and I drug him all the way to the top of Mt. Constitution for the view of fog. rodar was a good sport about it and we still managed to enjoy our day. He's touring for a few more days...the weather is supposed to improved for him...I hope so, he deserves it. Here he is on the way up the mountain.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Nice!!
    Rodar has really covered some ground, pedaling in both the far northeast and the far northwest of the US over the past couple months.

Chilly at 31F when I got up, but sunny on my hill and 35F by the time I left. Once off the hill though, the rest of the ride was in a chilly fog. Another uphill on the work end (although not high enough to emerge from the fog again), leaving me with an overwarm top half but cold toes from the mesh shoes.

mtbr member
    Yesterday's ride home was infuriating. 3 close calls in the first third of my ride:

-First was the worst. I was just going straight, a lady driving a 10-12 passenger van was taking a left to head in the same direction as me. She had PLENTY of time to pull out ahead of me, but she waited until I was right there and very slowly pulled out until I was next to her. She then drifted so far to the right she almost pushed me off the road. I had to get on my brakes to avoid being hit. She then immediately got stuck at a red light. I went around her and gave her a staredown. She first was looking away, but I persisted until she made eye contact. Then she started yelling, but her windows were all up so I couldn't tell what she was saying. I didn't bother saying anything. I'm sure most people would think I was a jerk, 30 year old guy yelling at a 65-70 year old lady. The horror!

Second, I was passing a line of traffic in downtown Natick (where I'm always very careful). A lady tried taking a right on the main street I was travelling on, but could only pull out a couple feet because the traffic. she had a clear view of me coming, but pulled out in front of me anyway. I passed her and she was on her phone with her child standing next to her trying to show her what appeared to be a bag of candy. Yes, she was driving and her child was STANDING next to her (minivan, so there was room for her to stand) distracting her.

Third: Similar to above, woman pulls out in front of me into traffic in her massive Ford Excursion when she had a clear view of me coming. Again, she couldn't pull out all the way because of the stopped traffic so she completely blocked me.

This morning's commute was by far the coldest of the year. Even with thick wool socks my feet were cold with my regular shoes. It was a nice change though.

When I went to the locker room to shower, I got in and there was a guy in one of the two showers. I got undressed, showered, dried off and was completely dressed before he was finished showering. I never knew any guys took that long.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Last week I decided that my 29er had passed "nicely dirty for a mountain bike" a long time ago, and was now somewhere around "zero pride of ownership." It got a full wash&wax, and so of course today it's supposed to rain for the first time in forever.
    Your classifications made me laugh, just because in the back of my head I do the same thing Washed a few of the bikes two weekends ago because the commuter was beginning to look like I don't care about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    When I went to the locker room to shower, I got in and there was a guy in one of the two showers. I got undressed, showered, dried off and was completely dressed before he was finished showering. I never knew any guys took that long.
    I see the same thing at the gym I shower at. This morning I walked into the locker room as a guy I normally see there gets out of the shower. In the time it took me to undress, shower, and dress for work, he had managed to dry off and put on underwear.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^My showers take anywhere from 45 seconds if I'm late to 5 minutes if I'm shaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Met up with rodar today and we went for a ride on Orcas Island. Unfortunately the weather was crap and I drug him all the way to the top of Mt. Constitution for the view of fog. rodar was a good sport about it and we still managed to enjoy our day. He's touring for a few more days...the weather is supposed to improved for him...I hope so, he deserves it. Here he is on the way up the mountain.

Nice! We drug him up a few hills around here too but the views were pretty good.

Pretty chilly here this morning and more of the same for tomorrow. 'twas the wife's coldest commute yet. She's going to have to get her own account setup so I don't have to keep proxy posting

I Ride for Donuts
    I live 75 miles from Rodar and I've never met the guy

I love a 20 minute shower. Don't judge

Straz, I can identify with story #1...not enough traffic around here for the other two, but I hate it when people look/act like they're going to wait for you, then they go ahead and pull out to make their turn right at the worst possible moment, leaving you to wonder if they're going to just keep drifting over and push you right off of the road. I put my foot on the hood of a honda in a very similar situation one time.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Hey Jeff, you're pretty happy with your duckbill skigoggles right? Anything you'd do differently if you were buying another pair?
    Yup I would use the bag to protect the lens every day or at least a hat stand for the bike helmet...

I need to start looking around for all that crap pretty soon.

mtbr member
    I always assume I am more or less invisible to cars, drivers will look right through you (looking for other cars) and even if they do see you they rarely judge your speed correctly. When I see drivers waiting to turn onto a road do my best to make eye contact and then start assessing my bail options.