Page 443 of 606 FirstFirst ... 343 393 433 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 453 493 543 ... LastLast
Results 11,051 to 11,075 of 15135
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Been good riding here lately. With the summer monsoons in full swing, we've been significantly cooler. My peddle home wasn't even in the 90s. My ride in this morning was 70F. I suspect I'm getting ready to put behind me my toughest stretch of the commuting year while many of you might be starting yours. . .however, I do realize that many of you actually enjoy cold, winter commuting. The coldest it got in Las Vegas last winter was 23F and 25F on two respective mornings. I did not ride these mornings--chickened out cause I don't really have the clothes for this type of cold. I did ride several 29F mornings but felt that was pushing my limits. I decided 25F was my cutoff without the proper clothes, especially considering bike problems could put me in the cold longer than the normal commute. This year I'll get some better clothes so I won't be sidelined should this kind of cold return this winter. My coldest commute home last winter was 43F in December, which is a large contrast to my hottest peddle home this summer which I believe was 115F. Sanity had me sitting out several 120F+ days.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    School bus? They're awful drivers.
    Nope, good ol' Cap Metro. It always amazes me what professional driver will do in their work vehicles. Good thing I have the supervisors number.

I Ride for Donuts
    Here's a new one. Peacocks.

How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Natural Born Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Here's a new one. Peacocks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	831381
    Katy Perry - Peacock (Music Video) - YouTube

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    A great ride in this AM. No rain, a bit chilly, but wonderful. If it stays nice, I might just have to ditch out of work a bit early and go for a ride...

nehmed, you know, that video's not that bad with the sound turned off!

Moderator Moderator
    Not sure why someone would be driving through a parking lot in the wrong lane at a high rate of speed, that is, in the lane I was using to exit the lot - but he came too close for comfort! Next, I stopped on Main St to let a pedestrian cross at the crosswalk. After I stopped, a car sped by before the ped could cross. The walker then got safely across, and as I accelerated, trying to stay out of the door zone, the school bus behind me decided he just had to squeeze by as a tractor trailer approached from the opposite direction. It was so close I could’ve kissed it, but I yelled not nice words at it instead.

No other bikes in the rack today, .8” forecast for the afternoon. A bad batch just went through and it got bedtime dark, but it is getting brigher now, so maybe I'll luck out again today on the ride home.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ "Raleigh Girl" (or probably something else) headed out of work and into one of the heaviest thunderstorms I've seen in a while. It was raining inches/hour while she was out there. I've been doing this 5 years and I think she might have me beat for the heaviest rain commute. Oh, and she's coming back to pick me up 'cause we're going out to a concert tonight. Good thing too, it's still pouring. I expect she'll be making her debut here soon.

My AM commute was good, I drafted a truck up to 38MPH for about 1/3 mile.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Nice! Trial by fire. errrr, water. And I love a good draftin' story.

I've got a regular 'stay in town' deal going on Thursdays, so I wind up riding home after dark... weird for me. Usually all winter I ride in to work in the dark, and have the daylight ride home to look forward too... on the ride in there's a hint of things getting brighter as I get closer to work, but with this night time deal, there's no hope of that

Feeling for you guys who do the dark both ways all the time. It's a novelty at first, but it gets old! Not looking forward to the ride home tonight. I'm thinking I'll invest in some better off-road lighting and take the trail at night, just to spice things up. My current headlight (Planet Bike Blaze) is great on the road, but the beam is too narrow for the trail.

mtbr member
    I'm on my weekend right now so of course it was clear as a bell last night, and beautiful all day today, but calling for rain on saturday night (my monday).

Currently debating what shoes to get for my foray into clipless realm, since the new bike is on hold again. Decent sales on Nashbar, PricePoint, and Performance today and tomorrow. Funny part is for the 3-4 different shoes I'm looking at, pedals and multi-directional release spd cleats, the price is within $5 for all three sites and Amazon (and no LBS's in my area don't carry shoes except as special order).
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good commute today. High 60s for the ride in and low-to-mid 80s for the ride home. Another fast commute too (by singlespeed, cruiser standards). Summer heat back in the forecast. Supposed to be climbing close to the 100s again. Fall starts about mid-to-late October in Vegas.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Currently debating what shoes to get for my foray into clipless realm, since the new bike is on hold again. Decent sales on Nashbar, PricePoint, and Performance today and tomorrow. Funny part is for the 3-4 different shoes I'm looking at, pedals and multi-directional release spd cleats, the price is within $5 for all three sites and Amazon (and no LBS's in my area don't carry shoes except as special order).
    My only advice would be to get the MTB version of a clipless shoe. Really no loss in performance or ease of clip-in, and you can walk like a regular person when off the bike and even have some traction on a steep grass embankment like I had to walk down today when I got to work. Otherwise, fit will be the only issue, so maybe see if they run narrow/wide/big/small if you can. If some have velcro and some have some of the ratchet attachers, I like the ratchet thingies.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^ "Raleigh Girl" (or probably something else) headed out of work and into one of the heaviest thunderstorms I've seen in a while. It was raining inches/hour while she was out there. I've been doing this 5 years and I think she might have me beat for the heaviest rain commute. Oh, and she's coming back to pick me up 'cause we're going out to a concert tonight. Good thing too, it's still pouring. I expect she'll be making her debut here soon.

My AM commute was good, I drafted a truck up to 38MPH for about 1/3 mile.
    All kinds of awesome, give the Thunder-gal a high-five for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    My only advice would be to get the MTB version of a clipless shoe. Really no loss in performance or ease of clip-in, and you can walk like a regular person when off the bike and even have some traction on a steep grass embankment like I had to walk down today when I got to work. Otherwise, fit will be the only issue, so maybe see if they run narrow/wide/big/small if you can. If some have velcro and some have some of the ratchet attachers, I like the ratchet thingies.
    Yeah, that's what I've been looking at. I've narrowed down to a couple of Pearl Izumi's, or Shimano's with a set of Shimano A530s. Really just a question of who I want to buy from, as they all have the size I need.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    ^^ I can highly recommend these: http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-X-.../dp/B005925UKO I got them for cross racing in the hopes that they would help on the runups (they do) but now I wear them on basically any ride that isn't super technical and under 50 miles. They are *great* for walking around.

My trunk bag had to be sent back to topeak for a warranty issue, so I've been using a backpack lately :-/ Decided this morning to ride my cross bike in, since it was looking a bit forlorn (it used to be my #1 commuting bike now it is a sorry #3) and damn I forgot how harsh an aluminum rear triangle is on my back if I'm wearing a backpack, at least on the road. Guess its gonna be off road duty only for that bike once I get that lemond back.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Natural Born Killer
    What a change! It was 54 degrees on my way in this morning, had to put on the long sleeve jersey. That's a full 20 degrees cooler than yesterday. The high today might make it to 70, our high on Wednesday was 96! Ah, the good ol' Midwest! I will add that there wasn't a single cloud in the sky and the sunrise was beautiful over the fields and trees that are starting to change color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    30C/86F here yesterday, and should get close to that again today. And the mornings are still pretty warm - certainly warmer than stupid July was.

I helped setup a bike at the co-op last night, and when we were finished I realized we'd reversed the brakes cables. Oops. I told her it was a quick fix, but she really liked that the cables crossed, which is something I never would have assigned any aesthetic value to. So I told her that if she ever rides someone else's bike she can be all pretentious and say "Sorry, but I'm only used to English brakes," and off she went.

I Ride for Donuts
    Sunrise was kickin' this morning through the amber glasses.

How was your commute today?-g0027657.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I helped setup a bike at the co-op last night, and when we were finished I realized we'd reversed the brakes cables. Oops. I told her it was a quick fix, but she really liked that the cables crossed, which is something I never would have assigned any aesthetic value to. So I told her that if she ever rides someone else's bike she can be all pretentious and say "Sorry, but I'm only used to English brakes," and off she went.
    Sheldon Brown liked them this way and I do too. Panic braking a borrowed bike got me an OTB because I was used to mine.

mtbr member
    ^ Considering that legal handsignals were designed for the left hand, it sure would make sense to have your right brake as your front. Plus most people being right-handed. I've thought about switching mine, but didn't want to be pretentious.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Sweet pic CB!

We got clouds this morning for my commute, high 50's for temp. Pretty comfortable for shirtsleeves and shorts actually. Supposed to burn off to sunshine this afternoon.

No commuting for me on monday - there has been a rodar sighting here in Seattle and we are scheduled to meet up for a little ride in the islands.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Sunrise was kickin' this morning through the amber glasses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0027657.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	831618
    Cool pic!
    Rain here and temps dropping from 60F this a.m. to maybe 50 for the ride home. I treated myself to tunes for the ride in the rain.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Funny, I usually skip the tunes in the rain because ipods are hyper-intolerant of getting wet. I also like the sound of the rain if I'm not near cars. My Generation 2 ipod nano just died a few days ago, not water related. Everything works except the keypad, so it's kind of hard to start the music.

We've had a LOT of rain. They're still promising that tomorrow will be clear.

mtbr member
    This mornings commute was interrupted by a flooded river, which is starting to become a theme lately....

How was your commute today?-flood-6.jpg

How was your commute today?-flood-8.jpg

Doesn't look so bad in the photos but it's chest deep and moving fast- no, I didn't try to ride it.

mtbr member
    AlexCuse, I ordered those same shoes last night, along with a set of sh56 so I can unclip in either direction. Though for some reason Amazon didn't want to ship the pedals to my house, even though they had no problem with the rest of the order...weird. Wound up getting the pedals from Nashbar, which worked out to be $6 less with free shipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Sheldon Brown liked them this way and I do too. Panic braking a borrowed bike got me an OTB because I was used to mine.
    Been riding mine that way for years as well - no reason why for me other than that it feels like I have a bit more on-trail control of my braking with the front under my right hand.

Wet commute this AM again. Of course, when I left my house it was only lightly raining so I just had on the wool and no rain jacket. Got to town and it was downpouring, but I didn't bother with stopping to put on the rain jacket- silly me. Looks sunny out now, so maybe a nice ride home tonight.