Page 438 of 439 FirstFirst ... 338388428434435436437438439 LastLast
Results 21,851 to 21,900 of 21924
    CB of the East
    Hey bewards, that sounds like a wet ride..... (I'm talking to myself here. I remember when this place this place was just all atwitter with activity)

Still damp this morning so I took the rain bike again. I'm so ready for some nice weather. my body's tired of pushing these heavy bikes around every day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I remember when this place this place was just all atwitter with activity.
    I know all about it. Its not the same since BW of the west and I-cant-decide-between-woodchipper-and-Midge-Newfangled dont show up anymore here. GhostHTX turned into a ghost and Slipspace slipped away - am I the only European here at the moment?

So the rides today and yesterday were the same. 5C in the morning and already a steady 10kt head/crosswind from the west. 10C on the way home with a gusty 20kt tail/crosswind, made buff and thin gloves necessary.

I also have a creeping flat on my front wheel. Yesterday afternoon it was a bit soft so I pumped up some air and rode home. Checked it this morning after getting up and it was still ok. This afternoon though it was soft again so I put again some air in. Brought the bike in the lab already for diagnosis and treatment tonight => Patch if I can find the leak, otherwise change the tube. A new tube wont harm anyway, the tube is 3years old by now.

This week I rode 5 out of 5 days again

Nice weekend y'all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    S0ckeyous are you doing allright again?
    Yeah, almost back to normal. I got a trail ride in last week, but I was definitely not 100%. I'm almost back to normal now with barely any soreness left.

I'm going soft. Temps this morning were in the upper 30s, and it felt cold. 30s for the lows aren't that unusual in April around here, but this year has been so warm. It will be in the 50s on the way home.

CB of the East
    And Rodar and blochphi and harold and Kleebs and jeffscott and gettocruiser and Bike Colorado and AlexCuse and not even much from MTXB.

Y'all have a good weekend. One more ride home for me and I'm taking a day off.

NDD
    Baby boy
    I'll admit, I haven't had the opportunity to ride much. The first year and a half of my Master's, besides riding the bus for a month after busting my finger, I think I drove/got a ride maybe ten times. This last semester, I've been slacking (well...at biking). The reasons being that there are 2 days I rarely commute, and I stay home and write, I'm usually pretty mentally exhausted and feeling sapped (stress), and I've been taking the time to do a little more botany (keep in mind I never bought a parking pass for the uni, so I park 1 - 2 miles out and hike through the woods or walk the bike path to get to my building).

I'll be headed to Indiana a few weeks after graduation for a seasonal job, and will be only commuting about 2.5 - 3.0 miles each way, so I'll probably have nothing to write home about. Then again, my commutes have never been mondo exciting, but I'll take that as a good thing.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    No mention of my name, so that is good, and bad I guess. Good commute to the bike shop for me. Massive flooding has a road closed right off the park that I will cut through and today it was nice to have traffic blocked for that one block I go on that road. Lots of headwind for my super short 4.4 mile commute to the bike shop to work. Had a great day, still recovering from a nasty cold but it felt pretty good to be on the fixed gear. We had snow Wednesday but that is all but gone now. Temps to be on the rise for the upcoming week so I will be riding a lot. Will try to keep the posting up here if that is what is wanted. Ride home was nice, just a jersey and sleeves and 51F with the sun still out at 6PM. C'mon summer, I see you just around the corner.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 644.5/5000

mtbr member
    Hey dutchman Ghost is still out there I see on strava he's back to commuting the last week or so after a long hiatus.

Everything's pretty boring here, I've been taking little different ways on the rides home to mix it up, sometimes I get so bored I start to zone out and not pay attention.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    Up early today, working the bike shop and then the hospital. Temps will vary from 54F and sunny to 27F and breezy later. Hate having to take more stuff with me because it will not all fit in my messenger bag. Should be a beautiful day to ride. Swapped out my front wheel last night just for giggles. I have an Aerospoke front wheel and even though it is heavy, I love how it rolls and how it feels on the bike. Going to give that a shot today and have some fun with it. Seriously contemplating going back to narrow risers and pulling the bullhorns off again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Seriously contemplating going back to narrow risers and pulling the bullhorns off again.
    Oh oh another bar swapper rising...

Diagnosed my front tube with a small puncture. Strange, the tire liner should prevent it? Also a coincidence that it happened shortly after the tire change. I reckon something small got between liner and tire, or I put the liner not in the middle where it belongs.

mtbr member
    Good to hear that Ghost is still riding, maybe he'll check in here again. And good that you're ok too S0ckeyeus!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Brisk ride in with a headwind. Good day overall at the shop, and then a good ride to the hospital. Headwind for the ride home but snuck in a few extra miles on campus including a parking ramp. Wasn't feeling it in my legs today so I headed home. We have a lot of flooding right now and I will get some pictures on the way in on Sunday. Supposed to hit 71F by the time I go to work. LOVING this!!!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Still lots of flooding especially on campus. Absolutely beautiful day to ride in. 73F and lots of headwind but not many complaints. Broke a sweat on the way into work. Left work at 11:30 PM. It was still 64F and really nice out so I headed further west to the capital and then rode around the business part of downtown which was a ghost town. Did a parking ramp and tried to get some good pics but they didn't turn out well. Blasted east and hit the campus to check out some of the flooding which is really bad. Baseball field is completely submerged and the water is up to the stands it looks like. Rode around a bit and then headed home. Ended up doing 15.5 miles on the return trip. Storms forecast to roll in on Monday specifically around the time I would leave for work so the car will see some duty. We definitely do not need the rain but we will get it anyway.

CB of the East
    No mention of my name, so that is good, and bad I guess.
    Nah, you are a regular at this point.

We're on tap to get some of that magic weather that TenSpeed is enjoying now. It's supposed to be above 70F today and tomorrow (Up to 77F???) which should break both records. Average high temp for this time of year is about 50.

After being on the fatbike, studded commuter & rain commuter my carbon cross bike felt like a rocket today. Spring fever is starting to set in.

mtbr member
    I was confronted by two geese this morning. The one came hissing at me and both took flight right at me. I had one of them directly in front of me, and the other was to my right. I didn't really know what to do, so I hissed back at them. They both backed off after that. If these geese only knew who they were messing with.

mtbr member
    We had a very good day yesterday, really summerlike. Warm, clear sky and little wind. Went paddling with my family and got the first sunburn of this year.

Big temp drop today. 10C, cloudy and a firm 15kt breeze in the afternoon. Even a rainshower just before I left work, sat it out in the foyer of the building for 10 minutes. Weather is going to be like that for at lrast a week, so no family rides over the long upcoming easter weekend I guess.

mtbr member
    I'm still here in spirit. On holiday at the moment, Krakow in Poland. What a beautiful city! Brilliant cycling infrastructure too, but no chance for me to use it, my family are not cyclists despite my best efforts... Intend to be a regular when I'm back to work but that's a week away yet fortunately.
    2017 - 615/4000 commute miles

Moderator Moderator
    Summer hit yesterday with a crazy 76F! Sunday was nice too, about 55F, so I took the studs off for a little road ride on the MTB commuter. Did good 26 miles from E Barre to Chelsea, which includes the endless Washington hill. It felt good, especially after missing a few too many bikecommutes lately. 70 again today, but chance of thunderstorms.

I've been considering a new CX bike, really wanting discs, and the components and paint are reaching end of life, so it might be time. So of course Bedwards mentions his rocket carbon one. Thoughts on the ride vs aluminum/carbon fork? The comfort of the Fort is the only reason I'm not 100% sold on the new bike vs. rehab.

CB of the East
    ^^I would definitely recommend a new or lightly used bike. Most of the bike I buy are 1 year old which tends to drop the price in half. The carbon works for me. I like an ultra rigid bike which is why I ride the cross bike instead of the road bike most of the time. I also like the ruggedness of it and the 28c tires over broken pavement. If you are really on the fence, RollingRunner has a Focus cross bike that has all those features. If you wanted to come to Maine I'm sure she'd let you borrow it and we could do a ride. I think it is a 54cm.

Record breaking temps are forecast again today!

mtbr member
    Yesterday was windy as usual but at least it was dry. Last night it rained but this morning it was dry again, could rain without the raingear and the unpaved section was in a reasonable state, not as muddy as expected after several hours of rain. During the afternoon the rain started and I had to ride with full rain gear on the way home. At least it worked, I forgot to bring any rainproof gloves but the windstopper gloves didnt get too wet so fingers remained warm. Tomorrow will by mostly dry, maybe a rainshower but probably avoidable. For that the wind will increase to 20kts with gusts upto 35kts :-/

Friday and Monday are public holidays here so we have a 4day weekend. Not much riding planned but I hope to be able to get in at least a longer ride. Probably the first ride that is not a commute or errand run.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Errand ride here today as I am off of work luckily. Beautiful day to be on the bike. Traffic was minimal, partially due to my route. Bike was very minimal. Fixed gear, no brake. It was eye opening.

mtbr member
    Fixed gear, no brake. It was eye opening.
    I don't think I could ride one of those.

Ride home was good, there's a farmer's market on Weds that I can easily swing by. Got some onions, avocados, potatoes and a loaf of bread. Going to try and make it a weekly thing. AND there was a dude dressed up like Darth Vader playing the drums.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I don't think I could ride one of those.

Ride home was good, there's a farmer's market on Weds that I can easily swing by. Got some onions, avocados, potatoes and a loaf of bread. Going to try and make it a weekly thing. AND there was a dude dressed up like Darth Vader playing the drums.
    Never thought I would ever ride it either, but now that I have, I love it. Makes you ride completely different and it keeps your attention that is for sure. And the farmers market sounds good. Wish that I could find one that was open on my way home.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^I would definitely recommend a new or lightly used bike. Most of the bike I buy are 1 year old which tends to drop the price in half. The carbon works for me. I like an ultra rigid bike which is why I ride the cross bike instead of the road bike most of the time. I also like the ruggedness of it and the 28c tires over broken pavement. If you are really on the fence, RollingRunner has a Focus cross bike that has all those features. If you wanted to come to Maine I'm sure she'd let you borrow it and we could do a ride. I think it is a 54cm.

Record breaking temps are forecast again today!
    Thanks bedwards! I think I will take a look at the Norco Threshold at the LBS. There's a killer discount on 1/yr for trail crew. Anybody have one?

CB of the East
    Oh, like the Threshold Carbon with hydro disks! Looks very nice. Pump the brakes a few times after hanging it before you descend a steep driveway.

It was only 36F this morning in contrast to the summerish weather we've been having. But I'm in shorts mode and can't go back now.

mtbr member
    what a day. Nice ride in this morning although quite windy already. Found a pen along the way but when I picked it up, it appeared to be broken. Somebody already rode over it :-/ Since there was somebody coming my way, I stuffed the parts in my jacket and threw them in a waste bin at a crowded bus stop, so that I was not only an ambassador for cyclists, but also everybody could see that

Made a detour on the way home which added about 5km, making the ride 28km for today. Winds were blowing with 25kt, gusts 35kt. When leaving the plant, I came around a building and had the wind blowing around a corner in my face, bringing me almost to a full stop. After leaving the plant, the wind was from the side at first, the last 7km were a tailwind that made me go really fast - which is ~30kph/20mph. Some will laugh but on that heavy beast on unpaved roads....

Rode 4 of 4 days this week - Friday and Monday I am off. Happy Easter weekend every1!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I've been considering a new CX bike, really wanting discs, and the components and paint are reaching end of life, so it might be time.
    MTBX - you might also consider a TI bike...I must have over 30K miles on my habenaro CX bike (carbon fork). The guys at Habcycles are great to deal with and will sell you a frame and fork if you want to build yourself or a prebuilt bike of you don't!

Habanero Cycles Cross / Touring frames and bikes

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I do love my old ti Litepeed Unicoi, a great commuter now winter or summer.

Moderator Moderator
    cyclingdutch, I was pretty sure that story was going to end with ink all over!

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    MTBX - you might also consider a TI bike...I must have over 30K miles on my habenaro CX bike (carbon fork). The guys at Habcycles are great to deal with and will sell you a frame and fork if you want to build yourself or a prebuilt bike of you don't!

Habanero Cycles Cross / Touring frames and bikes
    I keep considering a TI bike as a commuter/all weather bike. I'd strip the parts from the Cross Check frame.

I squeezed one more trail ride in between snow season and mud season with temps around 28F. Things were mostly solid. There was one spot where my wheel broke through some thin ice to the thicker ice below so I got off my bike and promptly broke through up to my knees. There's still snow in them there woods.

How was your commute today?-media.jpg

I'd rather be on my bike
    Great ride into the shop to work, then the hospital. Ride home was a race against a storm. Did an extra lap in the complex when the rain started. Hoping to do the same tomorrow but not working the shop. Supposed to hit 80F by the afternoon.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Blazing hot for April in Michigan at a face of the sun 82F and lots of head wind. Going was slow, and I almost got put into the curb by a crosswind - it was that strong. Took the fendered cx bike today because the forecast for the ride home was uncertain. Storms are coming but they did not really amount to anything to warrant fenders. I hate fenders, with a passion. HATE them. Ride home was interesting with a huge wind at my back - part of the time. The rest had it swirling from the south, sometimes making it in front of me which would be the east. It was 70F when I left this evening at 11:30. Took a slightly different route home and avoided the downtown area with the bars and more than likely drunk students. It was a really nice night to be on the bike.

I'd rather be on my bike
    2nd day this week going fully car free. Grocery store run and Bed Bath & Beyond. The bag is full, and it was really heavy. Trying hard to do bike only grocery store runs now that it is nice out. Kind of limited with no racks or a trailer. Maybe this is how I will give up drinking soda?

http://i.imgur.com/OA46nRZ.jpg
    Last edited by TenSpeed; 1 Week Ago at 10:16 PM.

CB of the East
    Hey TenSpeed, you are talking to an empty room apparently. The pic didn't make it.

Our stint of way above normal temps is over. Today is still nice but the rest of the week looks pretty drab. I found the Easter Bunny on my way to work. My dogs will have a great time ripping it to shreds!
    How was your commute today?-media.jpg

mtbr member
    No real rides for me during the last 4 days...but the easter bunny unexpectedly brought my son a 20" MTB. He already got a big present Saturday (Bunny was early ;o)) ) and in the evening the MTB popped up in the local ads. So we went for a testride and after some negociating, we got it for 30% less of the usual 2nd hand market price
    So we took it for a spin through the woods this afternoon, 10km/6m and enjoyed every second of it.

Bedwards: On the pic of your fatbike further above, there is a bag with a red taillight on it on the ground. Is that a saddlebag with a blinkie on the back? Or a backpack that you put on the ground?

And I didnt have anything to ride here so far but I did check and I have seen Tenspeed's pic (cant see it anymore now ?? ) it was his red SS, with a flat handlebar, leaning against a big black messenger bag. So where did it go?

"cold" weather expected the next days, barely above freezing tomorrow and a bit below on the next mornings. But as long as it is dry, I'll take it.

CB of the East
    ^^
    How old is your son? 6m is a good first mountain bike.

Helmet with a blinkie being used as a kickstand.

Can it BE 5:00 already?

mtbr member
    He is 5 and will be 6 in may. So I did push him here and there, we walked the steepest parts and we were not fast. It was my goal to let him discover the woods and hills and to practice with the new bike. Shifting, steering, braking, all good. Braking was a concern for me, because he is used to coaster brake and a v brake with the lever on the right. Now he has a freewheel, 2 brakelevers with the rear brake on the right. Luckily, he figured it out correctly when necessary.

A helmet! I could and should have known....

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/J8jd12_24Ng

For.anyone who is interested, this is a 7min vid with the highlights. Nevermind the german comments/instructions

Its just a wacky phone vid,dont.expect anything professional when filming and riding singlehanded

mtbr member
    That's awesome Dutchman! He was killing that singletrack
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    I dunno what happened with my pic on here. It worked when I posted it. Changed it to a direct link instead of embedding it. Commute today was awesome. 67 and sunny which was about perfect. Traffic was cooperative so that was a bonus.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    https://youtu.be/J8jd12_24Ng

For.anyone who is interested, this is a 7min vid with the highlights. Nevermind the german comments/instructions

Its just a wacky phone vid,dont.expect anything professional when filming and riding singlehanded
    He's a natural! In 10 years you won't be able to keep up.

Good rides with little to report. I took the long way home yesterday for a total of about 33 miles. I haven't been inspired to do anything longer. Today my wife left a little ahead of me so I was in pursuit mode until I caught her.

NDD
    Baby boy
    2nd day this week going fully car free. Grocery store run and Bed Bath & Beyond. The bag is full, and it was really heavy. Trying hard to do bike only grocery store runs now that it is nice out. Kind of limited with no racks or a trailer. Maybe this is how I will give up drinking soda?

http://i.imgur.com/OA46nRZ.jpg
    If I bike to get groceries, I always use racks and bags. I hate having that much weight on my back. Don't love the slow acceleration but coasting downhill and keeping more momentum is great! All said, it's a worthwhile investment to get at least a rear rack for a geared bike. Used to use my single speed as a grocery getter and I think it was a good challenge but not worth it.

Looking forward to returning to bike commuting after next week. It's been a little while.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    If I bike to get groceries, I always use racks and bags. I hate having that much weight on my back. Don't love the slow acceleration but coasting downhill and keeping more momentum is great! All said, it's a worthwhile investment to get at least a rear rack for a geared bike. Used to use my single speed as a grocery getter and I think it was a good challenge but not worth it.

Looking forward to returning to bike commuting after next week. It's been a little while.
    It's only a mile to the grocery store so it wasn't too bad. Welcome back to commuting!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the compliments guys!

Back on the bike today. 2C and a stiff headwind this morning. 7C and the same cold wind from behind on the way home. It was dry today but the wind was really cold. The next days it will be below freezing level in the morning. I have "won" a customer meeting on thursday so will have to show up in a suit. Will probably take the bus that day, if the dresscode is taken strictly.

NDD
    Baby boy
    It's only a mile to the grocery store so it wasn't too bad. Welcome back to commuting!!
    Oh yeah that's not shabby. I used to do 9 miles each way. Purposefully low gearing - 39/18 - made it pretty easy but when I was unloaded I felt like I maxed out on spinning pretty easily.

Thanks! I've missed it, and mentally/emotionally I've probably paid the price for lack of exercise. Not good.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Took the long way in on what will probably be the nicest day of the year. Sunny and 64F with a nice breeze. Tried out a modified route that had me cut through a good portion of the campus, but it had its drawbacks. Most of the cut through is on a sidewalk/bike path/MUP. College kids don't really give two rats behinds about traffic and who has the right of way, etc. Will reserve this route for my late night ride home. Good chance of rain and storms tomorrow, but I will be on the fendered cx bike. Working down at the shop then off to the other job. Really trying this whole car light thing as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Very nice day to ride again today. Very cold this morning, just above freezing but there were icy patches on the road. Farmers were spraying their apple trees with water over night. That packs the blossoms in ice and as long as there is fresh water coming on it, temp within the iceblock remains exactly 0C. Anything below would ruin the blossom and thus the harvest later this spring. Unfortunately lots of water landed on the road as well and was frozen over so had to be really careful at some spots.

Took a different route home which added only 4km but the scenery is very nice. Also scouted a small canal on the route for a place where I could drag my kayak over the street. Unfortunately everything around the canal was secured with a high strong fence, no way to get over that. So the dream of paddling to work will remain a dream. Will have to stick to pedaling.

CB of the East
    Paddling to work, that would be fun. I've tried to think of how I could do that across the lake with the bike but there is nowhere to park the canoe. It would be a pain. Speaking of the lake. There is a new site that gives you a crows eye view of your rides. Unfortunately they stopped doing it if you check the commute box in Strava so this one is from last week. You can see the lake that I now go around when it zooms out at the end.
    https://www.relive.cc/view/937467802

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Today is the 3rd day in a row of biking to work with my dog on the cargo bike. Between the extra weight of the cargo bike and the dog, I'm probably 100 pounds or more heavier than my usual ride. Legs are starting to feel it.

Going to try to do it again tomorrow

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Started my new job fulltime this week. I've been transitioning over the last month, so have been riding to the new office a couple of times/week. This week is my first week of fulltime riding. The commute is rather short at 18 miles RT. I've mapped out a nice alternate route that will get me about 34 miles RT. I've been tempted to start riding that route but want to ease into things, so I plan a couple of fulltime weeks and then will start upping the mileage.

Other than the constant rain we have been having here, it's just so awesome to be back into bike commuting. I knew I missed it, but did not realize how much...

GLTA!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Today is the 3rd day in a row of biking to work with my dog on the cargo bike. Between the extra weight of the cargo bike and the dog, I'm probably 100 pounds or more heavier than my usual ride. Legs are starting to feel it.

Going to try to do it again tomorrow
    I love this.