Page 438 of 584 FirstFirst ... 338 388 428 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 448 488 538 ... LastLast
Results 10,926 to 10,950 of 14587
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    That means you must buy a Fatbike!!! ;p
    +1

A fatbike, definitely a fatbike, yeah. Yeah. Fatbike.

Cool and windy in the valley this AM, cool and rainy in Anchorage. I'm with Jordy - bring on the snow. I'm sick of being wet!

I Ride for Donuts
    Aaah, you guys are killing me. I'm coming back around to the thinking that the fatbike is a 'novelty bike' (which I would still love to have and want to ride all winter), but when it comes down to it, I'm a mountain biker and it's time for a new mountain bike. No final decision made...but I'm leaning towards a new trailbike.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Wouldn`t you rather have a whole novelty bike than a novelty wheel size?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Aaah, you guys are killing me. I'm coming back around to the thinking that the fatbike is a 'novelty bike' (which I would still love to have and want to ride all winter), but when it comes down to it, I'm a mountain biker and it's time for a new mountain bike. No final decision made...but I'm leaning towards a new trailbike.

A fattie isn't a novelty bike at all. I guess depending on what type of trail you ride, it would make a difference, but I bomb my Pugs on lots of trails up here in Alaska and have found it quite capable - in fact, I can clear things on it that I never could on my FS. I ride everything from XC ski trails in the summer (steep, sharp up and downs) to single track, to road, to MUP for the daily commute. It's just pure good times fun. The weight might be seen as an issue - I'm still rocking the LM double-wall rims, but I'm a big enough guy that it's not that much of an issue. I say go test ride one on a mix of what you normally ride and see what you think.

I Ride for Donuts
    I know, I know.... I'm sure I'd ride the wheels off of it all year long. I would truly love to have one. I only meant 'novelty' in contrast to a full suspension trailbike. What excites me most about it other than winter capabilities is trail-less woods exploration stuff... I've got hundreds of square miles of squishy pine needles that are just begging to be explored.

I've even thought I could get a Pugs and then use a spare 29er wheelset for fair weather commutes... so many options...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Since the dead keep their secrets and no personal damage was mentioned, I assume the turner either let you go, if a bit late, or you waited until the idiots got out of your way. Every no-contact commute is a good one. Sort of like landings a pilot walks away from.
    The first guy was just far enough in front that I could catch his brake lights and could slow down so it wouldn't develop anything. The unexpected part was the tailgater.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I, personally, would buy both

If I had none and I had to choose 1 I would go for a FS trail bike over the fatty. If I'm going to go out and ride 20 miles of trails I never go to the fatbike. Even though it is fun on the trails it is too much work for long hauls.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Fatbike CB. You know you want it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    The first guy was just far enough in front that I could catch his brake lights and could slow down so it wouldn't develop anything. The unexpected part was the tailgater.
    Yes. In Indiana, passing a left turning vehicle on the shoulder is legal. A large vehicle turning left with a smaller tailgating one behind, sets up a 'dodge right and run over the cyclist they did not know was there' situation (assuming that the road they can't see is clear). Lucky to be looking in the mirror to see that one shaping up and take the ditch or if not seen, that the driver does not panic and takes the ditch rather than kill someone.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I, personally, would buy both

If I had none and I had to choose 1 I would go for a FS trail bike over the fatty. If I'm going to go out and ride 20 miles of trails I never go to the fatbike. Even though it is fun on the trails it is too much work for long hauls.
    See, and the entire motivation behind getting a new bike is being tired of the hardtail for going out and riding 20 miles of trails.

...you know how these things develop though. I'll proably buy a mountain bike, sell the hardtail, buy a fatbike, sell the commuter, buy something else...I'll have a whole new stable, be content for a year or so, and then start over

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Definitely sell the hardtail and buy a FS trail bike and a "hardtail" fatbike. There's your plan. Which one you buy first might depend on what deals you can find.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Wouldn`t you rather have a whole novelty bike than a novelty wheel size?
    This was funny. Well played, good sir.

... I'm looking for a 27.5 with a threaded headset, square taper BB, and rim brakes, but most of the ones I'm finding are road bikes??

Natural Born Killer

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Yes. In Indiana, passing a left turning vehicle on the shoulder is legal. A large vehicle turning left with a smaller tailgating one behind, sets up a 'dodge right and run over the cyclist they did not know was there' situation (assuming that the road they can't see is clear). Lucky to be looking in the mirror to see that one shaping up and take the ditch or if not seen, that the driver does not panic and takes the ditch rather than kill someone.
    ^^Probably the most likely, deadly scenario I face on a daily basis. There are a couple spots on my commute I have to watch for this. Yesterday, at one of those spots there was a string of cars behind a semi turning left and no one was willing to go around on the wide shoulder. So here I come cruising up on the shoulder, cringing as I carefully pass the cars while simultaneously trying to watch my mirror for someone to come blasting along from behind at 60 mph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    ^^ Nemhed. This scenario is one of the main reasons I was concerned about daytime visible lighting. The sooner they see you the better. I have had worrisome cross traffic ahead simultaneous with the left hand turn by a truck blocking traffic behind me. A bad situation in the offing. You almost feel like stopping in the ditch until it all clears. A similar scenario killed a Kentucky cyclist in the right lane of a multilane when a driver gunned it right around a semi into the lane he could not see and ran the cyclist over. I always "peek" before committing when driving. Could be anything there if the semi is left of the right lane. Saves all that time with police and in court and a weight on your conscience.

mtbr member
    Good ride today. The 170mm cranks I put on are gonna take some getting used to but the price was right. They help me spin a little faster downhill so now I gotta get some clipless pedals.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Moderator Moderator
    How was your commute today?-p1020402-768x1024-.jpg

Just back from NYC where my Dad had a carotid artery de-clogging operation (he is OK).

Saw tons of bikes...my favorite was a guy on a little pink girl's bike salmoning down 1st ave with a cigarette in hand. Also saw a bike towing a regular sized hand-truck, set up kind of like that Burley Travoy. It was stabilized by a stickball bat (broomstick) lashed to the frame and extending behind the bike. It had a good-sized box lashed to it. Many bike take-out delivery guys sporting their newly required safety vests and plates. Square-sided heavy chains were the lock of choice for even the lowliest of bikes.

I grabbed my push scooter at the last minute leaving VT and it was great for going from a more distant cheaper parking lot (1.5 miles, $40 total for Tue-Th) to my Dad's apartment and for a quick portable zoom out for coffee (carried it in, no lock worries), exercise and sightseeing before going to the hospital, and was easy to store in their apartment. Citibikes' popularity is not flagging, noticed that they have pretty decent lights (maybe a little low in the rear) that come on automatically when un-stabled.
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 08-30-2013 at 05:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Rode home and noticed my rear wheel was all wonky and untrue. Took it to my lbs and had a broken spoke.

They had a Fargo 2 there i fell in love with. Such an awesome looking bike. Checks off everything on my list of needs/ wants and is on my short list for my spring bike shopping list. Its actually lighter than i thought it would be. And the woodchipper bars seem real comfy.

any commuter here ride a fargo?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Took a break from commuting today and drove the Jeep. Almost immediately I saw three commuters doing their thing and regretted driving. Regretted it even more on the way home while I was stuck in traffic. Fact is, though, I needed to give my body a rest. Summer commuting is pretty rough. Have lost ten pounds this month peddling the Vegas heat. Wake up every morning sore, too. The problem this week, I believe, is that I mountain biked on Saturday and Sunday. I usually take Sundays away from bikes and this lets me enter the commuting week well rested. Well, off tomorrow, so a four day weekend is in store. Gonna try and hit the mountain bike trails at least three of these days. Riding the Monocog is addictive. Can't seem to get enough of it. Looks like fall is already upon us. . .where did this year go. Bout time to get the long, cold winter commute forum going again.

mtbr member
    School started around here this week. Amazing how many more close calls I have when school is in session. Tons of people coming closer than 3' to me. Usually only 1 or 2 per ride, now it's like 5+. Had a landscaping truck pull out in front of me this morning too, he had a stop sign, I did not. Right after he pulled out, he sat in a line of traffic. He got flipped off. I had my headlight flashing so I was hard to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Took a break from commuting today and drove the Jeep
    What Jeep do ya have? I drive a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited when not on my bike.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Just back from NYC where my Dad had a carotid artery de-clogging operation (he is OK).

...I grabbed my push scooter at the last minute leaving VT ...
    Glad to hear dad's OK. I think your scooter story belongs in the Scooter Commuter sub forum.

The old wonky wheel spoke thing. Broken spokes are like flat tires for me. Sometimes I'll get a few in a row on different bikes and then go years without breaking one and I never know why they break. I also always buy a few extras to throw in the toolbox for every size spoke I need to buy.

I encountered not 1 but 2 salmon on last nights commute riding side by side. And one of these salmon was as wide as 2 . They seemed to have no idea that I might need to use part of the road that they were kind of blocking, clueless.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    I knew I liked you guys.

How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    I have a 2000 XJ Freedom Edition. Bought it off my sister to tow our camping trailer. No off-road duty for her though as she's only a 2X4. Sister sold it to me for $3300, which was, at the time, nearly two thousand lower than Blue Book. With such a deep discount, I swallowed the fact that it's a 2X4. With the trailer brakes, HD radiator, and an extra leaf spring added, this XJ is a pretty capable tow vehicle. Towed my 4000 lb. trailer up to an elevation of 7500' with not too much effort and with a broken electric fan to boot.

When necessary, I use my '92 Isuzu Rodeo for off-road detail.

weirdo
    CB, that`s a nice picture of your brute, but you can`t see the coolest aspect- the lime flavored steering wheel.

I`ve been playing with my fancy-pants new camera for a few weeks now, and I think I have all the controls and options that I plan to use all figured out. Sweet lens! Ready to put it to the test with an innaugural vacation. Not such good luck with teh cell phone. I`ve been anxiously watching the UPS tracking, and it finally shows arriving at my local distribution point, out for delivery. But we`re way out of town in the wrong direction, so deliveries always come in the late afternoon, too late to save me from a weekend of house arrest. Figuring that I stil need to have it activated and program it (??), there`s very little hope of providing the brass with a new contact number today.

Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Looks like fall is already upon us.
    YES!!! October is my favorite time of day!
    Though it does seem like summer sort of flew by this year. I think part of it has to do with how early the rugrats go back to class these days. Already been back for weeks and we`re just now finishing up Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Saw tons of bikes...my favorite was a guy on a little pink girl's bike salmoning down 1st ave with a cigarette in hand. Also saw a bike towing a regular sized hand-truck, set up kind of like that Burley Travoy. It was stabilized by a stickball bat (broomstick) lashed to the frame and extending behind the bike. It had a good-sized box lashed to it.

I grabbed my push scooter at the last minute leaving VT...
    Oh, for a picture of your salmon rider! The broom stick and hand truck dolly must have been quite a sight too. To think that you saw it on Mulberry Street.

Your scooter sounds like a good idea- much more compact and quicker to employ than my folding bike. Yours looks a lot more stable (big platform, monster wheels) and robust than the ones I`ve risked my own butt on.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I encountered not 1 but 2 salmon on last nights commute riding side by side.
    It must take a lot of huevos to double salmon. Wow.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Oh, for a picture of your salmon rider! The broom stick and hand truck dolly must have been quite a sight too. To think that you saw it on Mulberry Street.

Your scooter sounds like a good idea- much more compact and quicker to employ than my folding bike. Yours looks a lot more stable (big platform, monster wheels) and robust than the ones I`ve risked my own butt on.
    How did you know I grew up a block away from the south end of Mulberry Street?

The big scooter wheels make a huge difference on cracks, stones, and other uneven surfaces. Only on cobblestones did I opt to walk it. I also learned that if you walk it carelessly up an unramped curb, the tail end is apt to kick out and hit you in the ankle bone - lesson learned!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Fatbike CB. You know you want it.
    More fatbike froth:

salsacycles.com/culture/beargrease_carbon_xx1_wins_eurobike_award