Page 435 of 435 FirstFirst ... 335385425431432433434435
Results 21,701 to 21,742 of 21742
    I'd rather be on my bike
    First commute in almost 2.5 weeks or so. Felt great to be back on the bike. 50% of rain for the ride home, but we will get to that in a minute. Took it fairly easy, had to really, with the dang headwind and all. 44F and partly sunny so I couldn't complain. Was huffing and puffing when I rolled into work, and I could feel those days off of the bike in my chest. Ride home? 36F and rain. Took the right stuff with me however, so it wasn't too bad. Feet were soaked so I still need to work that out, but hands were alright in Showers Pass gloves but a bit cold and my Novara jacket worked perfectly at keeping my upper body dry as a bone. Should be able to commute a bit more this week as we are supposed to dry out and warm up a bit.

Using Strava and my Garmin EDGE 810 along with the Garmin Connect app on my iPhone to track mileage now. This really is an ideal way to keep track of stuff.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 232.7/5000

mtbr member
    Thanks Dutchman, understood. Looking at the streaks on the guards I think most of it leaks out the sides before it gets to the flap, they're a bit tight for the tyre I reckon. TBH I'm too lazy to do much about it until I have too..

We actually had some snow lay over saturday night. Amazed really, we were out til 10 pm and I would not have said it was that cold. Mostly gone by afternoon sunday, except the snowman my daughter made..

This morning was bright and clear. Cold northeasterly but it was at my back so that was ok.
    2017 - 414/4000 commute miles
    2016 - 3357/3000 commute miles

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Overall it's been a mild winter but this is the 2nd time I've ridden in 45+mph winds.

Not cool mother nature, not cool.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Overall it's been a mild winter but this is the 2nd time I've ridden in 45+mph winds.

Not cool mother nature, not cool.
    Yeah we've got the same thing here. We have maybe had a few days with a high below freezing. Crazy stuff. Been spring warm since January basically...hrmph.

That said the wind was in my favor today so I'm not going to complain. Felt good.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    Windy here as well and it kicked my a55 on the way in. Seemed to be in my face on the ride home no matter which direction I went in. Leg feels great on the bike so far so that is good. Having a dry spell here so in for as many miles as I can get right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've ridden trails twice this winter in shorts. Usually, I have to ride at night when the trails are frozen. It's rare we have warm weather and rideable trails, but this year is full of opportunity. I have a hub being replaced at the moment, so my main ride is out of commission. The rebound went out on my old mtb and has been relegated to the trainer. I'm dying here.

I drove all last week because of a bad cold. This week's rides have mostly consisted of trying not to choke on my own snot. Fun times.

mtbr member
    Nice weather yesterday and today. -6C in the morning, yesterday it was -1C on the way home, today +4C. In addition the weather was so nice today that I made a 5km detour on the way home just to enjoy cycling.

Rest of the week is looking good too. Another 2 sunny days with temps upto 8C during the day, after that still 8C but cloudy and rainy. We'll see. Time to put on the hardshells again I think, but also for the thinner longsleeves.

It has been a strange winter so far. On average quite mild but with temp cycles going up and down between -10C and +5C within a week, and that almost all the time since December.

CB of the East
    Glad you are back on the bike TenSpeed. At this rate it might be 2.5 weeks before I get to do a bike commute. We've got somewhere around 36" of snow in the last week with a possibility for another 12" tomorrow. After that it looks pretty clear so hopefully Friday. If no snowmobiles have packed a trail across the lake that is going to suck!

Speaking of the lake I did go out and snowshoe it last weekend and it appears that the car is gone. (either that or it is buried, didn't get that close.)

mtbr member
    Take it easy TS, dont overreact now 45mph winds I would consider dangerous....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Sunny and 43F for the ride in. Not envious of anyone out east right now bedwards - you especially. Today was all about me pissing everyone off apparently. Guy in a van pulled up alongside me while I was taking the right lane of a 2 lane in each direction road with parallel parking on it. Told me I should be moving over to that where there are no cars parked. That advice is horrible if you ask me. You need to be consistent in your lane placement and not moving back and forth out of the lane. Told him that I am all set and waved him off. Further down the road, the Ford Escape behind me absolutely could not stand going 23 mph in a 25 mph zone and decided to just lay on the horn. We were about 30 feet from the entrance of the hospital parking ramp. I pulled in and proceeded to slide to the left so I could find out what the driver was so impatient about. They flew by me into the ramp not even looking my way. Thought about confronting them but decided against it.

Now, let's talk about the ride home. At 9pm, it rained which turned into an icy mix. A cold front blew in with some decent winds. It was 34F when I left work. The roads were wet and everything was fine. My bike and clothing choices were not ideal. Carbon road bike with no fenders, and bibs. OK, lets go. Everything was alright until I came out of the neighborhood and turned right to go down the hill. As I started picking up speed, everything turned to ice. I swore in 17 different languages as I half coasted half braked the whole way down. Made it to the bottom somehow without falling. It was at this point that I realized that I had f*&ked up. Should have stayed on the main roads which had much more traffic on the roads. MUP was officially a sheet of ice. Side road that is a short cut was the same. Said screw it, and walked. Just under 2.5 miles walking my bike in bike shoes on ice/snow. Never fell even when I was walking.

Screw this damn weather.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi Guys,

Just thought I would check in - not a lot of riding for me lately for lots of random and crappy reasons.

You see, my grandfather had a stroke the first Sunday in January - he survived but apparently it was an "oh sh-t" kinda stroke.

The sort that you don't normally survive.

Thank the big man for the neurosurgery department at the Western General Hospital, Edinburgh. They pulled a big clot from his brain stem and re started his brain. Literally. He has almost full control of his arms and legs (just some slight coordination issues with his right hand and altered sensation in his feet) he can talk (a little slurred but improving all the time) he can understand us and seems to have all his cognitive functions in place (his sense of humor survived too) and his vision is OK too - quite frankly a miracle. He should be in hospital getting rehab until Easter, then it is slowly slowly from there.

So I've been home to the "old country" visiting.

I also picked up a hell of a chest infection when I was there, so I had to get over that too.

So, I have managed one and a half commutes this year so far.

And then this happened;

How was your commute today?-img_1535.jpgHow was your commute today?-img_1536.jpg

This is my China Carbon CX. The story goes like this:

I had the bike in at the LBS for a tubeless set up (which seems to be awesome) and the mechanic offered to "have a look" at the shifting - I figured that although the shifting was OK it was about time for the initial set up and check, as all the new bits were probably broken in, after doing about 300 km or so.

SO - I get the bike back and the rear shifting is more or less the same. Yesterday I tried the front shifting for the first time since the "check"...

I wish I hadn't.

The chain jumped inwards (I was shifting from inner ring to outer so I have no idea how this happened), caught up on the inside of the inner ring and tried to eat the frame. It took out a big chunk of the epoxy filler on the chain stay / BB junction.

After a close inspection, it looks like the carbon matrix is undamaged - it just de-bonded from the Epoxy filler. I'm not sure what to do, though...

Should I take the bike to the LBS and ask them to fix it / give me a refund for the "service" or should I just never ever go there again and fix it myself?

I think the fix is going to be quite easy - but I am not a happy camper that this mechanic ruined my bike. The only thing that could cause this is a poorly adjusted front mech. I know it was adjusted ok before it went into him, I did it myself.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    All the best for your grandfather Ghost!
    TBH that on your bike looks severe - seems to be quite a chunk broken off there. Did you check if the front derailer was wrongly adjusted? Could be a coincidence and they didnt touch it, but I admit, the thought came to my mind too. I would simply ask the LBS first if they recall what they did exactly and if it turns out they did readjust it, confront them. A new frame wont be in it since you didnt buy it there but who knows what they can offer you.
    In general I have to admit that I have had several issues with multiple shops already by now that make me wonder what kind of mechanics they have nowadays. Seems to me that even big shops that sell very expensive bikes often have mechanics that apparently do not know anything about those high-end parts or anything that is not chain gearing (like my Rohloff.....) By now I do almost everything myself except for bottom bracket, a-headset, pedal axles and wheel truing. And all of it mostly because I do it so seldomly that it is not worth buying the appropriate tools for it.

Oh yeah - the rides today. Well -5C this morning but not windy anymore. Highest temp was +10C today! Made an extensive after-lunch walk. When I left work it was 7.5C but during the 35min ride it dropped to 3.5C when I got home. Very nice though and I was very fast, no idea whether the bike functions so well when it is warmer or the muscles....

And by now I am not riding in the dark anymore, but usually during sunrise/sunset. Very nice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks, I'm sure my grandfather will be OK, it'll just take some time. Lots of time. Patience and rehabilitation and time. It's a miracle he survived, so any progress at all is fantastic. That he can function at all is just too much to hope for, but he can. We are very, very lucky.

As for the bike; I inspected it and it looks like the carbon is in fact untouched. So I sanded, cleaned with meths and put on the first layer of Epoxy last night. The first layer is hardening as we speak.

Tonight, if it is hard enough I will rub down and put on a new layer, then repeat until the damage is filled in. Then I will sand flush and paint it black / put a protective plate on top and it should be good enough to use as a poor weather commuter (which is why I bought it in the first place).

I am never, never NEVER going anywhere near an LBS again. Ever. From now on all works will be done by these two hands.

CB of the East
    Good news on your grandfather!

My experience with LBS is about the same as yours. I did find one with a mechanic I liked that was good and they fired him. It seems to be hit or miss if you get somebody that knows their shit. That said, it could be a coincidence. Sometimes mis-shift happens. Protective plate, since you are epoxying anyway.

Still no riding for me! The foot of snow/day finished up this morning. Maybe tomorrow I'll get to wade through the snow on the lake and see about a trail commute. In the meantime...
    How was your commute today?-snow.jpg
    How was your commute today?-snow2.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yep - eff the LBS, that's what I say. If they can't provide the service then they don't deserve the business.

Wow - in Norwegian we call that "Bltime" Bluetime or the Blue hour. That's a lot of the white stuff.

I was thinking of cutting up a soda can to use as a protector plate - but if anyone can point me toward a good "universal" fit protector I would be very grateful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm lucky with my LBS, the owner basically does everything himself and he knows his stuff. Really good guy, never tries to sell me anything (I do that on my own), decent prices for parts, online is cheaper but his service is great. More than once he's made adjustments for me for no charge, and when he quotes something the price never goes up after the work is done, which I appreciate and has earned him my business for as long as he's around.

mtbr member
    I have the same experience, there was one LBS with a mechanic that apparently knew his job but apparently he left and instead there is some guy that looks like an (ex-)junkie. Owner is pretty cool though. Its a small shop and its the only shop where I feel welcome. In all other shops I have the feeling they dont need me. There is one other LBS that might be good too, owners seem to be some freaks that started building trikes in the 80ies and have their own shop ever since. It is just a bit unconvenient to reach in my situation that is why I usually go somewhere else..

Nice rides today. Weird temp cycle though this morning, left with +4.5C, dropped to -1.5C halfway, 2.6C at work when I arrived. Way home was very nice, about 7C and bike felt really fast. Havent found a chain lube that works well at -10C apparently...

Training for the Darwin's
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Good news on your grandfather!

My experience with LBS is about the same as yours. I did find one with a mechanic I liked that was good and they fired him. It seems to be hit or miss if you get somebody that knows their shit. That said, it could be a coincidence. Sometimes mis-shift happens. Protective plate, since you are epoxying anyway.
    Alternately, you could use some pick-up truck bed liner on the BB and chainstay.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Ghost glad to hear grandpa will be ok. I saw you pop up on strava for a day, thought you might have given up the commutes.

On my MUP the city is in the process of putting new giant markers and stuff so people know where to go even though it's pretty obvious. I was tempted to put handprints in the concrete.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    Ride in was good. Ride home was good. Cold, but good. Clear weather, light wind on the ride home, really cannot complain for February. This weekend will be some pretty good riding, that is all I will say.

mtbr member
    Ghost, all the best for your family. The frame damage sucks, some sort of plate is a good idea, I guess a can could work, maybe some inner tube such as you'd do on mtb chainstays although I doubt you'll have much clearance.

Bedwards that looks pretty.

Dutchman that's some crazy odd temperature variation.

Not much to report. Lowest temp all week of riding has been about 5C I think. I'm tired though, busy at work and home. One car in my garage where I'm doing an engine rebuild otherwise I probably would have driven today. Glad I did ride, even if it was initially forced.

Second time this month I've been fighting off the same cold during unseasonably warm temps. I don't typically ride when I'm fighting off a cold with symptoms in the chest or below the neck. I've worked myself into pneumonia and bronchitis enough times to know it's less fun than getting in another week of riding during a cold. Ugh. On the plus side (I guess) the temperatures are forecast lower next week which typically means I'll be good to ride (because the warm winter weather usually comes when I'm sick).
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Forster, a doc once explained to me that your resistance is like an army: If its fighting a cold it is occupied and can not free up forces that you need for commuting. So it will drain your energy over time and eventually you might get even more sick. So very good thing to take a rest until you cured out that cold.

This morning it was 5C and raining. At least it was moderate rain that was worth putting on the raingear. In addition, the rain gives a cooling effect on the hardshell clothing that prevents from overheating (would happen if I wear the raingear in dry conditions). The ride home was the same except dry. Had the hardshell jacket on with the pitzips and collor open. Luckily I brought the windstopper pants. I only buy paclite-like stuff so everything fits in the pannier.

Had a 20.5kph average on the round trip - almost as fast as summer. Amazing that difference to the bike at -5C and +5C. Oh yeah and the birds were singing this morning. Next week is expected to be windy, 9C and rainy. For Hamburg, I would say summer's almost there

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Forster, a doc once explained to me that your resistance is like an army: If its fighting a cold it is occupied and can not free up forces that you need for commuting. So it will drain your energy over time and eventually you might get even more sick. So very good thing to take a rest until you cured out that cold.
    Doc says it's a bacterial lung/sinus thing. Should be good to go by Monday.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Was supposed to be in Chicago today to surprise visit my nephew. Sister texted me to tell me brother in law has a nasty case of strep throat. Decided to pass, so I will miss out on the 60F temp on Saturday. Only supposed to be sunny and 57F here.

Will be riding Saturday and Sunday just for fun. Thinking about trying to do a century while staying on the campus of the university possibly hitting every road on it at least once. Will post up what I come up with.

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commutes this weekend but did get some good miles in. Happy that I nearly doubled this years mileage in the past week. Between my leg procedure and the weather, riding has not happened much so it felt really good to get out this weekend and put some miles on. Sunny and mid 60's all weekend with hardly a cloud in the sky. Might be paying for this later on in the month, but the forecast for the rest of the week looks to be in the upper 40's and low 50's and only one day with some rain. February. It is still February, in Michigan. I dunno what is going on, but I love it.

mtbr member
    a balmy 11C this morning! Windy but it was from the SW so not cold. Meant that after a mile or so I shed the jacket and was in shorts and tee for the rest. Nice!

mtbr member
    Nice to see that your leg is doing good and that you are making miles again TS!

Forster: Hope you're ok by now?

SS: We didnt quite get in the double digits but we got stuck at 9C..

and we had 5C in the morning already. I made it in just before the rain, had to lock my bike in a hurry as it just started to rain. It got windy during the day and we had some heavy drizzle or light rain. On the way home it was a difficult decision what to wear. Had the hardshell jacket on anyway, that Altura Night Vision EVO is holding up pretty well for a 70 jacket. Put on the my rainpants and it was the wrong decision. Tailwind the first part, almost dry on the last part so by the time I got home my pants got pretty wet with sweat. Tomorrow is going to be the same, will try the windstopper pants then. And from tomorrow on a lot of wind is going to be forecasted. We'll see.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Unseasonably HOT weekend took care of all the remaining snow/ice so I threw my summer wheels on...thank goodness. Instant 6 minute time savings. 30c tires are just plain slow

Moderator Moderator
    Hope to get back on the bike this week after some time with too much snow, too many dogs visiting, and too much other life stuff. With the warm weather Saturday and Sunday, though, I can now use my front door again - it had about 3" of ice blocking the storm door, plus a ton of snow that slid off the roof. A short fatbike for fun today, it was pretty bumpy from the foot traffic during the warmup, so not great. I leashed the dog after he started a scuffle with a co-worker's chow, and I was glad I did because we came upon a gigantic raccoon on the last (frozen over) quarry before the parking lot. I'm sure he would have grabbed it, and it would not have been pretty.

mtbr member
    This morning it was raining when I got up but it stopped by the time I left the house. Calm wind in the morning and it turned into a beautiful sunny day, although windy. At least it was a tailwind on the way home.

As from tomorrow it will be very windy, Thursday a storm with gusts upto 40mph is forecasted. I am not sure if I will ride, will decide in the morning of the day depending on the forecast.

CB of the East
    Back on the bike after a forced hiatus. It looks like I might get one of two days on the trails and then they will be too soft due to a stretch of above freezing temp punctuated by rain over the weekend. Jeeze, this winter just can't make up its mind. I'm not sure what shape the trails will be in when it is all over.

This morning is was only 11F with chunky bumpy trails and this afternoon is about 40F which should make some soft smooshy trails. But that sounds too much like I'm complaining. At least I am on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's been in the 60s/70s the past 3 days of commuting. I didn't even have a head wind yesterday. Suffering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    It's been in the 60s/70s the past 3 days of commuting. I didn't even have a head wind yesterday. Suffering.
    Haha same here, the struggle is real!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

Yup, missed last week and today 39F on the ride in and 77F in the afternoon. Should have worn my HTFU cap to show how dedicated I am to riding. Doubled my ride going home just for fun.

NDD
    Baby boy
    No commute today. Training and testing for pesticide licensing and then went to an old friend's wake.

So glad I got into botany and bicycles rather than heroin. So sad.

Actually no bike commute tomorrow either, the roads by the convention center are too crowded and the town is not cyclist friendly. Boo. It would be pretty cathartic. Might do a little work on the bikes though.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Wow NDD that doesn't sound good for your friend.

Heavy rain this morning but acceptable winds with around 10mph. Dry and 15mph winds on the way home.

Tomorrow I'll take the bus. For the afternoon gusts upto 45mph are expected and from my right, so I have the risk of being blown into the lane. Nope not for me. In addition I took Friday off, thats only 3 days of riding for me this week. Bike will go to the LBS to have them have a thorough look at the BB and crankset, since the creaking is getting worse since it started 3 weeks ago. BB, cranks and A-Headset are the few things I am reluctant to do myself.

Moderator Moderator
    Good rides last 2 days, except for 1 driver yelling at me at a light for no reason. He was not even going the same way, he was going right on red and I was waiting in the center lane to go straight. Just being a jerk, claimed I was not following the right of way blah blah blah. I said "try again" before he turned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The biggest apparel decision I've had to make the past couple days is whether or not to wear my light gloves. It was 60F this morning. Tomorrow we'll get near 80F and likely set the record high temperature for February. I believe today will set the record for the most days over 70 in February.

Other than being super warm, this month marks my 10th year riding to work. I started on an old 8-speed Schwinn mountain bike I got in 8th grade. I bought a new mountain bike later that year and started trail riding in addition to bike commuting. While it was a matter of necessity at the time, riding to work was one of the best decisions I've made, and trail riding has become what will likely be a life-long addiction.

Snowy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-fatbike2-copy.jpg  

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ dang. I thought that you and I had similar weather. We definitely don't have that right now. Random flurries and a chance of snow today.

I think the bulk of that storm went north of me and south of you. I did enjoy the commuting in snow/slush/ice test with the Surly Nates. They're alright in that element. I think they're too narrow and aggressive for either groomed trails or deeper snow than you can ride through with your wheels on the ground, but in 3-6" stuff I only lost traction when I his really powdery snow over ice. I probably need to rig a mini fender to protect the front der though.