Page 434 of 442 FirstFirst ... 334384424430431432433434435436437438 ... LastLast
Results 21,651 to 21,700 of 22059
    Pcyclo
    Around 0C again yesterdaymorning. On the way to the farewell party I tried the navigation app "komoot", worked pretty well but it didnt recalculate the route when I wanted to another, quieter, parallel road. Maybe just a matter of practice, we will see. It was a nice ride, river view and a nice orange sunset from behind.

Today both rides were the same except for the direction -1C and light wind. Tomorrow morning is forecasted to be -4C and from there it is expected to go up to +8C and rain on monday lets hope they are wrong....

mtbr member
    ^ We have a similar forecast, maybe not so much with the rain though. We'll see.

Last night had me don the waterproof to act as a windstopper, glad I did as it was piercing, that said I did have to drop the zip to halfway halfway home to get some air...

This morning was lightly overcast and frosty, just below freezing. Roads were clear but everything else was white.
    2017 - 868/4000 commute miles

Pcyclo
    Forecast looks better here now too.

-3C on the way in today with a slight tailwind. Exactly 0.0C on my speedometer when I came home. Horrible day somehow, I think I am getting sick. Had a day off planned for Monday, will need it probably as a recovery day rather than the planned activity day.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am thinking one more commute before the procedure on my leg possibly Saturday. Will need to drive Sunday so I can stop on the way home and get groceries for the week. Still grey here, and I think the sun was out for 15 minutes about a week ago. Snow mixed with rain and cold temps forecasted.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 924.6/5000

mtbr member
    Hope the surgery went well Tenspeed and you have a good and speedy recovery!

Ride this morning saw me in shorts for the first time in months as the temp was about 6C! Wet, muddy and grimy even with guards though.

Quiet on here of late, are most of the North American contingent still struggling with temps? Hope everyone is ok.

CB of the East
    Man it IS quiet around here. My excuse is I've been on vacation last week but back now. Struggling with temps? Nah. I did miss a week of warm weather and it's supposed to be 4F tomorrow but I guess that's what I get for spending a week where it was 80F.

The trails are awesome right now but better than that is the crust that lets you ride anywhere. I did a few extra loops on the way into work. No reason to rush back to the grind. That's the news from here. Almost time to go for another ride....

NDD
    Baby boy
    I've been commuting on the single speed lately. Haven't much since switching to 52/18 gearing. I kinda regret it. Sometimes I want to get from point A to B without feeling like I'm doing apart my wimp legs. It's also been too warm. Mid 40's to low 60's. In January!?!

Here's to a good recovery Tenspeed.
    dang

I'd rather be on my bike
    Thanks for all the well wishes. Procedure went pretty well yesterday. Obviously no commute as I am off the bike now for a week. They had to do quite a bit more to my leg than initially thought as it has progressed much faster than they thought it would. Everything is alright minus the sore feeling and the start of the bruising. Glad it is not summer so wearing waist high compression stuff is "in" right now. Will be reading more and probably posting less while this heals up. A couple inches of snow here last night, would be ideal for the fat bike which has seen 2 rides now I think.

mtbr member
    Weird I just posted something and nothing happened oh well. I haven't rode to work in 4 days, last week because cold and I didn't feel like it, now I woke yesterday with the flu! Taking a day or 2 of sick days then I hope will be rolling again.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Get well soon TenSpeed!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

Bedwards Of The West
    Howdy guys and gals.... checking in from the north pole. TenSpeed, heal up man! That doesn't sound fun. Heck of a winter around here on the east slope of the northern sierras..... The fatbike is seeing some great action. I live up a sort of a canyon.... the road turns to dirt about a half mile above my house and becomes forest roads/logging roads, which (on a good snow year) are all a part of a snowmobile park network that starts off of a highway maybe 6 miles in a straight line away from here... enough snow on my road that the neighbors don't have to drive to the trailhead... just blasting up the road on the snow machines. The groomer came down to the edge of the woods, so I literally have groomed fatbike terrain a half mile from the house. It climbs 1500 feet in about 4 miles, but it's somethin'! Here's a 'find the fatbike' pic on the road up above the house from Friday, and today's sunrise pic from my new fancy camera.

Hope you all are fighting the good fight through the winter Freezing fog and lower teens for me this morning.

How was your commute today?-16299387_10210443761881895_8876118382351051964_n.jpeg

How was your commute today?-16406757_10210474222203384_912937951191949450_n.jpeg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Pcyclo
    Get well Tenspeed and Eugene!

Great Pics CB! And nice to see you're still riding!

Well I know why I felt so horrible last Friday: I was simply sick. Took it easy over the weekend, had a day off yesterday anyway, and everything ok today.

Yesterday it had snowed quite a bit but at +1C everything turned to slush that was still partly there this morning. Had to plow my way through in some places but it worked. Everything melted away during the day so ride home was noticeably faster. For the rest it was very uneventful and grey.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Howdy guys and gals.... checking in from the north pole. TenSpeed, heal up man! That doesn't sound fun. Heck of a winter around here on the east slope of the northern sierras..... The fatbike is seeing some great action. I live up a sort of a canyon.... the road turns to dirt about a half mile above my house and becomes forest roads/logging roads, which (on a good snow year) are all a part of a snowmobile park network that starts off of a highway maybe 6 miles in a straight line away from here... enough snow on my road that the neighbors don't have to drive to the trailhead... just blasting up the road on the snow machines. The groomer came down to the edge of the woods, so I literally have groomed fatbike terrain a half mile from the house. It climbs 1500 feet in about 4 miles, but it's somethin'! Here's a 'find the fatbike' pic on the road up above the house from Friday, and today's sunrise pic from my new fancy camera.

Hope you all are fighting the good fight through the winter Freezing fog and lower teens for me this morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16299387_10210443761881895_8876118382351051964_n.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	1118898

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16406757_10210474222203384_912937951191949450_n.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	1118899
    Amazing pictures. Jealous of that scenery!

CB of the East
    Here's to healing up fast 10-speed.

Commuter Boy, what's up? You bought a fatbike AND you get snow too, amazing!

We haven't had a particularly snowy winter but what we have had has been great. Right now there are a few trails that haven't had any snowmobile traffic since a coating of snow then ice. I'd say they are the fastest trails I have ever ridden and seem to roll faster than pavement. Snow is due tomorrow which will bring us back to just very good conditions.

Fatbike yesterday, skinny(er) bike today they are both rolling just fine on the trails.

mtbr member
    CB those pictures look like a pretty damn fine place to be!

We must have a had a lot of rain overnight; the back roads had a lot of water laying on them, and the mud. Warm enough for shorts though at 7C but even with mudguards the resulting tidemark on my legs when I got changed was funny.

Pcyclo
    Shorts at 7C

had around 0C this morning and a little breeze. 2C on the way home but a tough headwind on the first half, from the side on the last stretch. Thats the downside of the mild winter here, as soon as we are above freezing, its windy.

I know, no politics here but I think the Americans are so quiet because that new guy in the white house is overtrumpeting everything

And what also came to my mind: Are Shimanoparts getting more expensive than SRAM/AVID parts??

I would say, dont be impressed too much, life rides on.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    And what also came to my mind: Are Shimanoparts getting more expensive than SRAM/AVID parts??
    Haven't they always been? It seems like I'm always replacing parts with SRAM because Shimano costs more.

Snapped this on the ride home. Actually it was a long 60 seconds exposure (not quite as quick as a "Snap") Anyway, I was trying to get the moon with the planet beside it but the shutter was open so long that it caught a shooting star too.
    How was your commute today?-mioonplanet-shootingstars.jpg
    Shamefully I drove today because my legs were tired from playing hard on the awesome trails Monday & Tuesday. I was going to use the snow as an excuse but we got < 1 inch.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Finally got dinged yesterday

Making a right hand corner into an alley at slow speed...

A car was coming at slow speed and I could see she was not looking at me...

Tried to bale further right on to thick glare ice...didn't want to push it cause if the bike slides out I am going under the wheels....

She hit my front tire with her left front....I was four feet from he curb...

Taco the wheel and disc....I hurt my knee when I hit the ground...

Solution take the side walk, half a block earlier....I do this sometimes but not often enough.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Weather update - sun came out here for the first time in 10 days. Would have been a nice day to ride, was 30°F this morning and stayed there most of the day. A few light flurries and that is it. Was nice to see the grey disappear even if it was only for a little while.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Dang jeffscott. Glad you presumably made it out in one piece. I hope the driver at least stopped and helped you up.
    dang

Pcyclo
    Ow jeffscott that sounds terrible! Hope you are ok..did she at least help you?

Wow bedwards, nice pic!!

I am driving thursday and friday, so only 2 days of riding this week :-/

Moderator Moderator
    Great photos, Bedwards & CB! Sorry to hear about the collision Jeffscott, hope your knee injury is not too bad. Must have been scary to see it coming.

Rode at 0F earlier in the week. Was pleased with my gear and the sunshine. Hub overhaul fixed that problem I had where the drivetrain was in "neutral".

CB of the East
    Jeffscott, hopefully you got her insurance info to fix the wheel. Heal up!

Howdy MTXB stranger. I'm assuming the trails around you are as prime as they are here!

This morning's commute had an inch of fresh powder over a very firm base. So Quiet.
    How was your commute today?-deer.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks to everyone

Got insurance, got quotes, got police report...

Left knee hurt pretty good from landing on a sharp projection of glare ice, but that will heal up.

Gonna turn right on to the sidewalk early from now on.

Rode in today.

mtbr member
    Great pic Bedwards!

Jeffscott, I like the resigned inevitability of your opener 'finally got dinged', not so much the occurrence. Glad you're ok.

4-5C and sunny this morning, shorts again Dutchman ;-) I could do with a long sleeve tee as I had sweated to much in the jacket. Probably won't coz I'm cheap but my operating temperature is generally pretty warm.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Howdy MTXB stranger. I'm assuming the trails around you are as prime as they are here!
    Yes, trails are nice. Nursing a sore tailbone from a skijor crash with only a few inches of snow over ice, though.

mtbr member
    Cooled down again, 3C this morning. Nice and bright and dry though, and I left early enough to get in a few extra miles which is the first time this year. Taking into account holidays etc I need to do that some more as I'm behind on where I need to be already to get the years commute target by about 25%. This week won't help as I probably need to car twice..

CB of the East
    You can't fix stupid. I think the pictures say it all: The Candid Cyclist: You Can't Fix Stupid

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ never understood why anyone would ever want to drive a car out on a frozen lake. When I was a high school kid, my buddy drove his '79 Monte Carlo out on the lake and we did some donuts. Every turn of the tire had my brain thinking that we would end up at the bottom of the lake. Was so glad when we got back off the ice and onto solid ground.

Pcyclo
    Whoa bedwards, hope nobody got hurt. Didnt they see the bad spot? I guess they emptied those little bottles before they drove onto the ice?

Shorts SS? Extra windstopper pants for me as usual.

Finally had a normal they at work today. Could go home after 8 hrs and rode home in daylight. 1C but a nasty cold wind from the east today. Forecast says dropping temps to -7C in the morning and even below freezing during the day.

mtbr member
    Daft as it was for sure, I gotta say I thought that the lake was deeper than that Bedwards. Why does that part never freeze though?

Tenspeed, how's the recovery doing?

Nope, sorry Dutchman, double guessed myself and wimped out on the shorts this morning. Should have gone with my gut, I was roasting when I got to work and stopped.

mtbr member
    This pretty much sums up my ride this morning. 10 miles or so on the road produced this tidemark. 700/28c tyres with full guards and extension on the front one. Bike is constantly crudded up, definitely benefit being SS.

How was your commute today?-legs.jpg

CB of the East
    ^^ Nice spray on tan.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Daft as it was for sure, I gotta say I thought that the lake was deeper than that Bedwards. Why does that part never freeze though?
    The lake IS deeper and that is why it doesn't freeze in that spot. There is a sandbar that comes out from a point there between 2 sections of the lake. There is a small current in the lake from the inlet to the outlet. I'm guessing the warmer deep water gets churned to the surface there. A good part of the lake isn't all that deep which is why if freezes early.

The car was up on the ice but not that far away from the hole. I would have thought that they would have tried to drag it off the lake before this snow storm which will make it a royal pain in the ass to move it now. They had a another car out there yesterday to get it out. They could have easily pulled it off the ice. It is also supposed to hit 50F tomorrow and that open spot is quite dynamic with temperature. I'm pretty sure we aren't dealing with the brightest bulbs here.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    -29 C Roads plowed.

With a 25 kph bike speed that is -44 C

-47F

Didn't go with the third layer....toes were tingly.

mtbr member
    ^ Damn........!

Pcyclo
    Around freezing level here today and a freakin cold wind again. Glad I have to take the bus tomorrow.

And glad I am not in jeffscott's place!

Bedwards, I think you are right. Millions of sperms and they were the fastest??

Pcyclo
    SlipSpace,

There is no fender on the market that is long enough. I made my own set with a 2nd set of fenders: Cut it to length and glued it on the ends of the front fender. Front part attached to the lowrider.

A pic is here:
    https://goo.gl/photos/61vxm44WPWj1veHU7

Before I did this, I could see the dirt coming out of the fender horizontally, turning around about 10cm in front of it and flying back onto my lamp, pants and shoes.

However, I even put a longer piece on the lower end: The end of the SKS Spoiler is now only 5cm above the ground and finally my front chainring and BB are staying clean.

Probably I will make the rear fender longer too, but only because the kid's trailer gets dirty when its not perfect dry summer weather.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    58F for my ride in, high for the day is 63F.

It's going to snow tonight, up to 6" accumulation.

What is happening?

CB of the East
    ^^Same here but slightly lower highs. We got 6" yesterday, now we're supposed to hit 48F today and then get 6" of snow tomorrow, then 6" over the weekend.

Slogged my way through the snow on the way home which was quite a bit of work on the trails. I was almost home on a side street with almost no traffic (I saw 4 cars in 3 miles). I'm doing about 5mph keeping as right as I can and a car comes up behind me and follows me for what seems like forever. I keep inching right trying to encourage a pass until finally my wheel catches the shoulder making me swerve. I'm sure at that moment the all of the drivers caution was justified and I was just another stupid biker on the roads. face-palm.

In a vehicle today, maybe for the rest of the week.

mtbr member
    SlipSpace,

There is no fender on the market that is long enough. I made my own set with a 2nd set of fenders: Cut it to length and glued it on the ends of the front fender. Front part attached to the lowrider.

A pic is here:
    https://goo.gl/photos/61vxm44WPWj1veHU7

Before I did this, I could see the dirt coming out of the fender horizontally, turning around about 10cm in front of it and flying back onto my lamp, pants and shoes.

However, I even put a longer piece on the lower end: The end of the SKS Spoiler is now only 5cm above the ground and finally my front chainring and BB are staying clean.

Probably I will make the rear fender longer too, but only because the kid's trailer gets dirty when its not perfect dry summer weather.
    That's a good solution, thanks for the info/pic! Not thought about it coming back at me from the top but it makes sense, there's usually a good deal of mud at the leading few inches at that point. I've extended the bottom with a section from a plastic milk carton, maybe need to be longer...

mtbr member
    Nice ride into the train station this morning. My wife keeps telling me that I will get hit by a car if I keep commuting. I hope she is wrong. I have a bright, flashing red light, as well as lots of reflective stickers on my helmet and bike. I love commuting because its really enjoyable to get out of a car and enjoy nature.

mtbr member
    Tanker Selfie

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Bedwards that car on the lake reminded me of some crazy times in my youth and yes it involved alot of beer and whiskey too lol.

First commute in a week and a half today. Perfect weather 53f in the morning 70f on the way home no wind, sunshine, awesome!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

Training for the Darwin's
    Same here. Missed 11 days of riding due to a cold, but today it was 16F riding in and snowy. Decent temp and really nice snow fall to ride in. Practically a heat wave after work at 21F.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Ride in this morning around 8:30 was at about 40 degrees. Ride home about 17:00 it was about 28. Considering we've seen 55 to 65 degrees around here that almost seemed cold!

Almost thought about putting my pedals back on the mtb, but realized it has a flat tire. Thought about fixing it but got to reading about statistics and then where does the night go?
    dang

CB of the East
    Nice tanker selfie.
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Bedwards that car on the lake reminded me of some crazy times in my youth and yes it involved alot of beer and whiskey too lol.
    ...and being stupid? The fact that they found the only hole in the lake to drive into was dumb but not towing it off the lake once it was out and the lake was clear was dumber. The forecast here is for snow, snow, snow and snow. Every storm will make it harder to get it out of there. We're mid storm and I wasn't sure if the trails were packed so I drove again today so I've got no update on the car.

Pcyclo
    I guess you have a light on your handlebar? My light is directly over the fender so the lightbeam reflects perfectly on all the mud that is flying out.

At the back of the front wheel: Draw an imaginary line between the contact point of the wheel and the lowest part of your biggest chainring. To stay clean, the fender has to intersect that line. Put simply: Your fender should almost touch the ground. To keep your feet clean as well, you need a mudflap that is much wider than the fender.

Nice tanker selfie BC!

Bedwards, keep us posted concerning the continuing car story! Issue will be solved when spring is coming at the latest

-4C this morning and still darn windy. The way home wasnt any better, -2C and still windy.

Tomorrow will be a bit warmer, but windgusts upto 40kph/20mph. Windchill is kicking in.

Pcyclo
    ^^ everybody stuck in the snowstorm? Its even on the news here.

Again -4C and windy today. Checked my windchilltable and dressed for -9C and that was spot on. -2C on the way home so not much difference.

Rode 4 out of 5 days this week and did some indoor sport on the day I didnt ride. I actually likd the break, will maybe do it again next week. We'll see then.

Good luck for everyone in the storm. Hope you get through ok.

CB of the East
    Not stuck but the storms have been too frequent to pack the trails or clear the roads enough to bike. We had a storm Wednesday, Friday and have them predicted for Saturday, Sunday into Monday (another big one) and then potentially next Wednesday.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Again -4C and windy today. Checked my windchilltable and dressed for -9C and that was spot on. -2C on the way home so not much difference.
    I approach windchill a little different. On a bike the windchill is sometimes a lot lower than quoted, because if the wind speed is less than your riding speed. It is gonna be riding speed that controls...the actual windchill.

I dress for the actual temp not windchill...

I also dress to eliminate windchill...obviously at -9C not too critical to completely shield the face but you get the drift...wind tight tights with a porous rear.

As it gets colder I get more thorough hiding form the wind.

Members who have read this thread: 220