Page 433 of 439 FirstFirst ... 333383423429430431432433434435436437 ... LastLast
Results 21,601 to 21,650 of 21928
    Training for the Darwin's
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    ^^super tip!! I have a similar vest (Craft high-viz) and tomorrow will be -6C - will test that combination right away.
    Yup, and I only had to commute 25 years to figure it out This year I actually replaced my large PI vest with an XL to extend the protection further down the torso. I also find that I have to keep from working too hard on climbs in really cold conditions. The combination of that much cold air in my chest, and getting my body overheated means I pay hell on the descent. Typically I spin a low gear early in the ride to warm things up, then I try to keep my heart rate at 80% VO2Mx during the ride to stay warm but not hot. I've come up on my minimum riding temp, now riding no colder than 8F with minimal wind chill. Apparently I'm not the hellion at 54 I was at 24.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    You guys and your low temps. Sometimes I feel a little jealous that We don't get that weather to need spiked tyres and have to consider all layering stuff here in the UK. Mostly though I think I'm just grateful! I would however like some snow to play in for maybe a week or so.

I was late this morning, probably should have come in the car to be on time for work but thought screw it, i'm biking, work'll be ok. They were; tbh no-one even noticed... We had a lot of rain yesterday so the roads were wet, and muddy on the lanes. Overall quite pleasant, no idea on temps but minimum of 5C I would say.
    2017 - 615/4000 commute miles

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well, I just picked up my tubeless set up CX bike from the shop. Looking forward massively to the ride home. -3C and sunny here tody, so reasonably nice conditions.

About the vest thing; I've been riding all winter (nothing less than -10C) with the following set up;

1. Wool base layer (long sleeve for anything below -3C or so, otherwise a regular short sleeve base layer)
    2. Castelli Gabba short sleeve
    3. Castelli Nanoflex arm warmers
    4. Castelli Perfetto vest (only if it's really cold or even mildly humid)
    5. Endura Windchill 2 vest
    6. Wool long underwear
    7. Craft fleece lined leg warmers
    8. Regular Bib shorts
    9. Regular thick tube socks
    10. Belgian Booties over the shoes
    11. Craft neoprene overshoes
    12. Buff (around the throat / over the ears)
    13. Skull cap under the helmet

This layering system has three effects;

1. I can swap in or out parts of the outfit to tailor my clothing to the conditions - if it's warm, I can drop the Perfetto / swap out the Gabba with a regular cycling shirt. If it's wet, I can add my Specialized Goretex rain jacket on top and so on...

2. It takes me at least ten times longer to dress and undress than in summer.

3. I do a heck of a lot more laundry...

I cannot recommend the Endura Windchill vest enough - it is really very good. The best way to describe it would be a good quality cycling jacket without the sleeves. It fits nicely, it is toasty warm, but not so that you overheat, it has three good sized back pockets and a zipper chest pocket with a glass cleaning swab. It won't pack away (I have the Perfetto for days where I might need to strip down a layer) so you need to have it on the whole trip, but this is a first world problem.

Designed by Edinburgh, Scotland too

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    -6C in driving snow this morning. Should be dropping to ~ -12C for the rest of the week apparently

I ducked out of bike commuting last week and used the train as there was 30+cm of snow - guess I might do the same if it gets really icy and cold. Still recovering from my DH inspired broken wrist at the end of last year - the cold really seems to cause it to ache.
    2016 Cannondale SuperX
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2016 Scott Voltage FR 730
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

I'd rather be on my bike
    Another couple of days of no commuting here. Sunday was exactly as I thought, really nice on the way in, and the roads were damp and slick on the way home with a freezing mist. Opted to drive and was glad. Today? Freezing rain advisory until tomorrow morning now I think it is. Not really feeling that so I will drive again. Thursday and Friday really look ideal and then the weekend will be just shy of 50 and sunny. Hoping to get some serious miles in on at least Saturday.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 644.5/5000

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Kinda makes the first Gen Pugsly look even better.
    MTXB has never had a Pugsley. But yes, the 1st gen pugs was a tank. It still wasn't nearly as fun to ride as the fatboy and that's what really counts. Speaking of that. I took everything apart and all the bearings seem fine. I rode it this weekend in the 20Fs and all was good. This morning at 10F it was seeming slow but not as bad as it was at -8F. When I stopped both wheels spun unloaded but not as long as they do when warm. The bike just doesn't' like the cold.

Other than that it was still a great ride. I got in about 20+ miles of trails this weekend on the fatbike and 9 miles of ice skating. Life is good.

Good tip on the vest with the mesh back under the jacket.

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Tell me more about the PI jackets? Size? Interested.
    They're both L but probably not a good fit for you. The heavier duty (pro something) one keeps me plenty warm with just a Tshirt down to 0F. The other (pro 180) I haven't decided if I'll sell or not. That one actually sort of breathes.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=Ghost_HTX;12998910]Well, I just picked up my tubeless set up CX bike from the shop. Looking forward massively to the ride home. [QUOTE]

Wow that is a lot of clothes for -10C...

-8C this morning winter boots normal socks.

bike shorts and bike tights

cotton tee

light sweater

jacket

winter helmet

mitts

I'd rather be on my bike
    I had actually considered going car free when my lease was up, but I bought the car because I love it. Public transportation stops here at 11, and I get out of work at 11:30. This is why I own a car. Drive, yes, drive home, was terrible. Steady rain with sleet and slush building up steadily on the roads. It was slippery as all get out in some spots with the temps hovering right at freezing. The parking lot of my complex is a skating rink right now, and even walking could be deadly. There is no way that I would have ridden home in that even on studded tires. Tuesday calls for a 100% chance of rain again and similar temps.

mtbr member
    Car free is a big step however committed you are to cycling, sometimes you just need a motor, as your recent weather shows.

Got buzzed by a Barn Owl on the way home last night. Riding along the lanes, just me, no cars, not even near one of the occasional farms. Suddenly spotted a white shape appear over my visor, damn that made me jump. It flew ahead a bit, at just over head height, must have been there for 10 seconds or so before it peeled off over the field. Wonderful, a real privilege!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Another day off the bike. Woke up to fog, freezing rain, and the faint sound of thunder. Rain to continue through the day with temps slightly above freezing but ground temps are still enough to cause ice. Several school closings here and cautions thrown up on social media. I'm not sure that this is January still.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Train again for me too - woke to another day of blizzards, 40cm standing snow and -8C. Late meetings that would mean I couldn't ride home until 9pm when it is meant to hit -12C.
    2016 Cannondale SuperX
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

CB of the East
    Owls are cool!

Another day off the bike. Woke up to fog, freezing rain, and the faint sound of thunder. Rain to continue through the day with temps slightly above freezing but ground temps are still enough to cause ice. Several school closings here and cautions thrown up on social media. I'm not sure that this is January still.
    You need some studs to open up all these icy days as possibilities!

Last nights ride was awesome! I shed some layers and rode hard through the trails. It was fast and fun. I rode the "skinny" bike today. Some pics from this morning. (Babbling brook video too.)
    The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Owls are cool!

You need some studs to open up all these icy days as possibilities!

Last nights ride was awesome! I shed some layers and rode hard through the trails. It was fast and fun. I rode the "skinny" bike today. Some pics from this morning. (Babbling brook video too.)
    The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration
    I have a set sitting here, but I refuse to ride in ice and freezing rain. My body cannot take that kind of punishment. They helped a little bit when I rode them but still the bike felt very loose and like it would come out on me at any moment.

CB of the East
    I don't blame you for not wanting to ride in rain around freezing.

As for the loose ride I'd recommend trying a lower pressure. Enough so the studs don't push into the tire but low enough so the tire doesn't' bounce off imperfections in the ice. That momentary loss of traction when the stud doesn't have enough force to grip the ice can be very disconcerting. I wouldn't ride across a frozen lake every day if the bike could come out on me at any moment.

mtbr member
    May 2006

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    As for the loose ride I'd recommend trying a lower pressure. Enough so the studs don't push into the tire but low enough so the tire doesn't' bounce off imperfections in the ice. That momentary loss of traction when the stud doesn't have enough force to grip the ice can be very disconcerting. I wouldn't ride across a frozen lake every day if the bike could come out on me at any moment.
    I takes more than a little practice to get fully comfortable with how well studs work...

A few years back I was riding up some hard glare ice, as I got further up the hill the risk increased, finally I said time to get off and push just to be safe....

As soon as I stepped off the bike I slipped fell and slid all the way to the bottom of the hill, into a snow bank.....After that I trust studs.

mtbr member
    Cant blaim you Tenspeed, that sounds dangerous. Overhere there are lots of slippery spots that I have to avoid.
    Yesterday and today were 2 days of -8C in the morning and -2C on the way home. Beautiful days actually, no wind and clear sky. Just cold in the morning but the correct clothing does the job.
    and for me that is at -8C:
    heavy merinowool longsleeve (~260gr)
    Windstopper jacket with fleece liner inside
    normal socks + warm merinosocks, normal shoes and shoecovers
    normal pants + warm padded pants (I believe it is Craghoppers
    winter lined pants)
    Helmet with blinkie and self sewn cover
    Buff over Nose, Mouth and ears
    Glasses
    padded goretex mitts (used Army stuff 8Ä).

Compared to Jeffscott that is a lot. I wonder the difference but I think that the body adapts when living in Alaska or so. Over here, we seldomly have those temps so one can not really get used to it. End of next week it is predicted to be +8C again....

Forumsoftware is going nuts again. When typing, the entire text is moving up and down like somebody is putting in / deleting empty lines all the time..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Compared to Jeffscott that is a lot. I wonder the difference but I think that the body adapts when living in Alaska or so. Over here, we seldomly have those temps so one can not really get used to it. End of next week it is predicted to be +8C again....
    For sure you get acclimated over the winter.

mtbr member
    I guess so. I admit though that I was sweating this morning, will try a thinner longsleeve tomorrow. And the padded pants are only for -8C, for the way home at -1C I brought my thin windstopper pants. And maybe I am sensible to cold. My collegue rides the same stretch in lycra shorts with rainpants and NO helmet/hat for that his hands are always cold in thick.gloves where I still have the thin windstopper gloves on. So might be me or a bit of both

Jeff, I.wonder though that you are wearing a cotton tee, doesnt that get wet and cold after a while?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Got buzzed by a Barn Owl on the way home last night. Riding along the lanes, just me, no cars, not even near one of the occasional farms. Suddenly spotted a white shape appear over my visor, damn that made me jump. It flew ahead a bit, at just over head height, must have been there for 10 seconds or so before it peeled off over the field. Wonderful, a real privilege!
    Cool sighting!

NDD
    Baby boy
    Reminds me of the time I was hit by a bat while biking home. It flew right into my shoulder.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    That's awesome. I had to brake for a Great Horned Owl on the trail one night. I thought it was a cat at first because it was all hunched over. Then it turned it's head around, looked at me, and flew straight up in the air with whatever it was eating. Just a few weeks ago on a hike, my wife and I were within 10 feet of a Barred Owl. I caught it all on camera. Encounters with owls are special.

After a cold streak and rides in the single digits a week or so ago, we haven't dipped below freezing. I think we're at 8 straight days above freezing and might not get down below until February. I've never commuted in shorts so much in January or been hot in a short-sleeved shirt at 7AM. Yesterday morning was 62. I had to skip the bike ride this morning because my youngest son woke up right as I was getting ready to walk out the door. I took the car instead of being hopelessly late.

mtbr member
    Peace and quiet foggy morning.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPaMVN2B1ba/

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

I'd rather be on my bike
    There is a local mtb trail here that has a well known owl that watches over the trail. I was riding this trail one day with my now ex wife who was following me a ways back. I made the turn, and I hear this whoosh whoosh and then bam! my helmet is trying to jump off my head. Well, not really, it was just the owl swooping down and trying to pick me up off the bike. Had the talon marks on the helmet to prove it. It realized that it couldn't pick me up and took off, right over my head. Had a huge wingspan and no joke, it scared the hell out of me. I stopped, and she came up and was like whats wrong? I was shaking a bit, really was not expecting that at all. Not sure she believed me until I showed her the back/top of the helmet. That and the goosebumps on my arm and the look in my eyes apparently was enough.

BTW - rain has stopped, and temps are on the rise. Supposed to be mostly sunny and in the mid to upper 40's Thursday, so I get to commute again!!!

CB of the East
    ^^That is one of the strongest arguments for wearing a helmet that I have heard! Those talons are sharp. Having an owl try to tear your head off could certainly leave you rattled.

No ride for me today. Fresh snow over icy trails with now hidden ruts, no thanks.

mtbr member
    Well, looks like my commuting may be a limited for some time. A number of factors leading to this:
    1) My oldest is a freshman in college and lives at home. She is on the running team and now has to be at practice at 7:00 in the morning twice a week and the bus doesn't really allow for this without a huge wait time. Also, her last classes of the day but right up to the last bus of the day, so if she misses her connection... Thus I am driving her.
    2) Injured my knee on Sunday on a run. I actually think that the injury is more of a repetitive use injury spurred by a change to pedals I made three weeks back when I destroyed yet another set of egg beaters. Swapped to some Shimano that move my feet out about a half inch on each side and have no float. The run was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
    3) It's da*ned cold here - 24 below 0 F at my house this AM. Supposed to remain arctic cold for the foreseeable future. Nope. I'll not be riding in that this year...

mtbr member
    Temps are going up here too. Only -4C this morning and -2C on the way back home. Tomorrow will be the last day of freezing for a while and its about time that all those black ice spots and thick chunks melt away.

Saw a mouse running crossing the path this morning just in front of my wheel. It missed me luckily, I wouldnt have tried to swerve around it on that part of the road, still white and frosty there. Lucky for him, there was no owl around.

I once read a book of a touring cyclist which wrote that the kids in Australia paint big eyes on the back of their helmet to avoid birds attacking them. Maybe that would help you Tenspeed! And good that you can start your hunt for the 5000 this year!

mtbr member
    ^^Nobody except me on the world commuted today?

Well temps dropped below freezing again tonight but will be definitely above freezing as of tomorrow afternoon. I wont ride tomorrow since I have to go into town after work. Wife will drive me to work and will take bus and subway in the evening.

Forster: I tried the vest-jacket combination twice this week but somehow it didnt work very well for me. Maybe not cold enough - temps around -4C. The vest is a very thin one, do you have a thicker one with a thin jacket or the other way around?

CB of the East
    ^^I did but it was via truck. How was it? Plowed the driveway on the way out but the roads were mostly clear. I might not have another commute for over a week because I am on V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N next week and the trails for a commute tomorrow are probably not clear.

mtbr member
    It was 39 below 0 at my house this AM. That is in F. I can't remember any time in the recent past when I've been more happy to be not bike commuting for a while. Brrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    It was 39 below 0 at my house this AM. That is in F. I can't remember any time in the recent past when I've been more happy to be not bike commuting for a while. Brrrr.
    That's 7 degrees colder than I've ever even been in, Yikes.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

^^Nobody except me on the world commuted today?

Well temps dropped below freezing again tonight but will be definitely above freezing as of tomorrow afternoon. I wont ride tomorrow since I have to go into town after work. Wife will drive me to work and will take bus and subway in the evening.

Forster: I tried the vest-jacket combination twice this week but somehow it didnt work very well for me. Maybe not cold enough - temps around -4C. The vest is a very thin one, do you have a thicker one with a thin jacket or the other way around?
    I typically run a light cycling jacket (with breathable back) over a thermal liner or heavy jersey down to 25F and add the vest down to 15F at which point I go to an uninsulated parka over the thermal liner. Since the parka doesn't breath at all, I don't need the vest. The advantage of the vest over the liner (but under the riding jacket) is that my chest stays warm while my arms don't overheat and I can change temps with a couple zipper pulls.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Got the fixed gear out for a commute finally. Roads were pretty dried up by the time I went in. Saw this bright thing in the sky for a bit today. Was weird, have not seen that in a long while now. They said that it produces heat of some sort. Dunno. Was in the mid 30's but felt much colder. New coworker also rides in, much shorter distance and comes from the other side of work. We walked out together to the bike rack tonight. He runs no lights, wears dark clothes, no helmet, and darts out into the road off the grass and hops the curb. Yeah, that's not a good idea, not at all.

mtbr member
    I missed a bit over the last coupla days by the looks of it. Thanks for sharing the owl stories, as said above, owls are cool. However, Tenspeed, that is one scary arse owl!! ....and NDD, how the hell did you get hit by a bat?! They're pretty nimble little critters.

Nothing much to report apart from some glorious sunrises. Days have been bright clear and cold. My cheapo chinese cycle computer seemed to object to the -3C this morning, (it also objected to the water that got in it last week too). Maybe a bit more investment next time I think. At least it was dry cold so the roads were ok.

He runs no lights, wears dark clothes, no helmet, and darts out into the road off the grass and hops the curb. Yeah, that's not a good idea, not at all.
    Bike Ninja. We've got a few here too. Knew one who was killed crossing against the light early morning two years ago. Pretty upsetting when it costs very little to be seen and nothing to stop at a major intersection. I suppose Team Darwin needs a few cyclists too.

NDD
    Baby boy
    I missed a bit over the last coupla days by the looks of it. Thanks for sharing the owl stories, as said above, owls are cool. However, Tenspeed, that is one scary arse owl!! ....and NDD, how the hell did you get hit by a bat?! They're pretty nimble little critters.
    I was riding and it flew into me head on. This was around dusk and my light was on. He flew just outside of the periphery of my light so I only saw him at the last second. I'm guessing I probably impaired his vision with my light.

Yesterday rained sheets all morning. I skipped out if anything to save maintenance on my bike.

mtbr mumbler
    There is a local mtb trail here that has a well known owl that watches over the trail. I was riding this trail one day with my now ex wife who was following me a ways back. I made the turn, and I hear this whoosh whoosh and then bam! my helmet is trying to jump off my head. Well, not really, it was just the owl swooping down and trying to pick me up off the bike. Had the talon marks on the helmet to prove it. It realized that it couldn't pick me up and took off, right over my head. Had a huge wingspan and no joke, it scared the hell out of me. I stopped, and she came up and was like whats wrong? I was shaking a bit, really was not expecting that at all. Not sure she believed me until I showed her the back/top of the helmet. That and the goosebumps on my arm and the look in my eyes apparently was enough.

BTW - rain has stopped, and temps are on the rise. Supposed to be mostly sunny and in the mid to upper 40's Thursday, so I get to commute again!!!
    When I lived in Japan, I was riding along the road and suddenly felt something grab my head (wasn't wearing a helmet). I turned around and found a raven flying right on top of me. Ducked down and sped up and he/she gave up the chase, or decided I was successfully chased off.
    2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29
    2005 Jamis Dragon
    2003 Jamis Dakota XC converted to single speed

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Jeff, I.wonder though that you are wearing a cotton tee, doesnt that get wet and cold after a while?
    Sorry for the lack of response. I have been retiring and skiing.

Cold weather is all about thermal management, so basically don't sweat or sweat just a bit.

I can open hemet vents, open jacket, open pit vents, open sweater neck, take off helmet ear muffs, take off mitts, take of tights, take off jacket....

Or I can just go a little faster or slower, to reduce heating.

When I get it just right, I am on the verge of sweating at about 75% to 80% of full power.

All the stuff I remove can fit in my jacket pockets....and I can wrap the jacket around the handlebars in a figure of eight and tie off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    45+ mph wind gusts make things interesting, like a game of trying to stay upright, ride a straight line and moving forward in general.

At least I'm riding a singlespeed

mtbr member
    jefscott: Thanks. I will reevaluate my clothing layers. Started already with a thinner jacket this morning.

F4S: 45+ mph winds is pretty severy. My route would not be suitable for that I guess, risk of being blown onto the street is too big in my judgement....I can imagine you had a hard time moving forward.

My commute was pretty much as usual. Rode in in dusk but it was quite foggy and -2C. Ride home was the same in dawn...

NDD
    Baby boy
    Good rides today. Windy, but not too bad. Far too warm. In the upper 40's F today, tomorrow will be closer to 60. I think we've only had a handful of days totally below freezing.

Gotta say, I like the cold.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Gotta say, I like the cold.
    +1. Today was just above 0C and fog/drizzle

made a detour to a big bikeshop and rode with two other collegues. I had to spend 65Ä for my collegue who is retiring. This was a leftover from a collection from which we bought him already a voucher for a long weekend of MTBing. Got him 3 megapackages of bikecleaning/degreaser/oil stuff includingbrushes. Had a tough time putting it all my bag but I got it all home.

On the way home I had a true near-miss. I was on an unpaved road with deep tractor tracks in it. My frontwheel got in a deep track and started slipping along the edge. Put my right foot on the ground and hopped a few times and nearly fell in some deep waterhole scared the crap out of me. I would have been able to get out but still...
    The rest of the day was uneventful.

Collegue will get his presents tomorrow evening. Probably will not be surprised and expecting bikestuff. But pretty sad for us and him, the guy was wonderful to work with and he's been in the company for (hold your breath ) 48!! years. Even for Europe/Germany, that is very unusual...

mtbr member
    Forgot my helmet, didn't notice until I was wondering why my head was so cold! Oh well, made it back after work without a broken skull. Then at lunch saw my back tire was flat, dug 2 sharp glass shards out of the outside of the tire, it's been raining here all day the last few days and that always brings out the crap in the roads. Might freeze overnight here this week.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    #CyclingTreasures!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

I'd rather be on my bike
    4th dreary and grey day in a row here and it is depressing. Started taking Vitamin D because I know I have SAD, I can feel it. Sunday I had to get out for a ride just because I was going stir crazy. Monday was another rainy and foggy day, but Tuesday let up a little. Decided that I am going all out and created another Strava account since I think I deleted the other one. Took the fendered cross bike today because I am not going to clean a bike if I don't have to. Set 7 PR's compared to the ride I did Sunday. Welcomed myself into the 21st century by finally syncing my Garmin EDGE 810, the Garmin Connect app, and my iPhone. Works flawlessly. The great thing about that is that you do not need to run the Strava app itself on the phone if you don't want. You can upload the ride from the Garmin via the phone and a Bluetooth connection. What?

Ride home tonight was cold but the rain held off all day and it put a bit of a smile on my face. Almost, and I mean almost took a KOM tonight as well. On my cross bike. With fenders. On a cold night. Oh boy, I cannot wait for spring and either my fixed gear or the carbon roadie that is sitting here just waiting.

mtbr member
    Good to see you fired up again Tenspeed

Close one Dutchman, never nice to land in the water, best take a life preserver next time

48 years is impressive. When I was an apprentice (20 yrs ago) there were a few lifers who managed that sort of time period, retirement was mandatory at 65 then. I doubt anyone will achieve that now, seems a few years is significant for some people

First commute this week for me been bright and sunny so far but today I'm sharing the Dutchmans weather, right around 0C with wet fog. First proper ride on the reconfigured bike too. Took the dropped 'racer' bars off and put on some flats with stubby ends. Been thinking on it for a while but my off the other week made me realise just how limited my manoeuvrability was on the drops, feels a bit odd but I'll give it some time. Also realised over the winter how much harder it seemed to be getting pushing the 17 tooth gear, cadence seemed low. Mental thing maybe but dropped to the 18. We'll see how it all goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    First commute of the week for me as -10C is just too cold these days, but today was meant to be a bit warmer.

Started to snow as I set off. Showed -12C on my Garmin. Took me 30 mins to defrost when I got to work.
    2016 Cannondale SuperX
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Decided to ride the Bullitt today for no real reason, reminded me it's a lot of fun to ride despite the weight.

Wind and the rain have passed at this point. Sunny and with a high of 52F today.

This is winter?

mtbr member
    Well my take on the new flatbar setup is Ďdamn!í The bars flex, the stem flexs, the frame and for flex. I guess where my weight was previously on the hood of the drops it wasnít so apparent. (bear in mind this is a 1990 steel frame 'racer' 25" frame, 1" steerer, 1" bar diameter even at the clamp and it all starts to make sense) The flex is all fine for most things I guess itís the higher speed uneven corners where it feels a bit unnerving. Iíll get used to it but certainly strange for now. I suppose mountain bikes used to feel like that.

Ride home was ok. Ride in was about 0C with wind to -5C and gloomy.