Page 433 of 632 FirstFirst ... 333 383 423 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 443 483 533 ... LastLast
Results 10,801 to 10,825 of 15792
    Back in the Saddle Again
    I decided to take the Mule in to work today since I hadn't rode it since the Ratbike was finished. I have to say, I didn't enjoy it as much. Part might have been the drag from the tires needing some air but I noticed the weight and the slowness.

I think, unless I'm on a cargo run, Ratbike is going to be my primary.
    Live, Learn, and Upgrade when possible.
    ----------------
    2009 Jamis Venture Sport SS (Ratbike)
    2013 Surly 1X1 Polo bike
    2009 Globe Vienna (Mule)

local trails rider
    Pretty good. Everybody was driving and riding "by the book" (including me): nobody ran red lights or cut me off at street corners; even the one taxi I saw obeyed the Yield sign (which does not have any text in Europe).

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby. View Post
    Bikers cleared this track within a few days of the Feb event and have been threatened with a $5000 fine if caught using it by the disaster capitalists ever since.
    Lovely. WTF is the deal with that?

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    1st ride of a zero drive year?
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    It would help to keep those trails packed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I have seen a few fatties on CL, but they disappear almost instantly.
    Good thing you know the way to Scheels. Are you going back down today, or wait until next week?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lovely. WTF is the deal with that?
    The central government using emergency powers declared large areas of the city red zones and barred access. Some hills residents are still waiting to know if they can live in their homes so this section of ancient crater rim is considered low priority, even though only a small piece of it has anything resembling a rock fall hazard.
    It's puts a big hole in what was a very popular traverse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Man oh man. Finally got around to getting the tools for my BB job on my Walmart cruiser. Four necessary tools, including the crank puller. Bought the crank puller yesterday and had to order the other three. $65 in tools to fix a $100 bike. After some very, very careful deliberation, I decided to just buy the damn tools. Figured I'll be doing this BB again after another 1000 miles or so anyway and I absolutely hate taking my bikes to the LBS for work. And beside, it never hurts to add more tools to your home arsenal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

How was your commute today?

I've a question: I recently moved to NY and I have a mtn bike which is my daily commute to work. I was wondering when winter hits, will I be able to use it? I mean with snow. Thanks for the reply

using Tapatalk

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by amkmeco90 View Post
    mtn bike ... when winter hits, will I be able to use it? I mean with snow.
    All snow is not created equal. You need some local knowledge, for real information.

When you have cars rolling over/through the snow, the result varies with temperatures, humidity, methods of clearing snow and ice from streets, etc.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've a question: I recently moved to NY and I have a mtn bike which is my daily commute to work. I was wondering when winter hits, will I be able to use it? I mean with snow. Thanks for the reply

using Tapatalk
    Nothing to add from Vegas. Last time we got snow that stuck was 2008. And even then, it melted in like two days.

Two Wheeled Terror

Re: How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Nothing to add from Vegas. Last time we got snow that stuck was 2008. And even then, it melted in like two days.
    Awww cmon you could give him odds of getting hit by a car or something lol.

Looking forward to biking again. I've been taking apart and putting back together my truck fixing it up for sale.

Beamed from my dumbphone

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Found another commuting hazard: funeral processions

Police officer had stopped traffic but stood at the double yellow line -- effectively hiding himself from the bike lane. The light turned green when I was about 50-70 ft from the intersection and I didn't see him until I was in the crosswalk going about 20 MPH just as the hearse entered the intersection.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Back from a weeks vacation. Hiking, biking and fishing in that little slice of heaven called the Methow Valley in North-Central Washington. Had a close encounter with a black bear while mountain biking but lucky for me we seemed to have scared the crap out of each other and we both came away unscathed.

Back to the old grind this morning. Almost 60 degrees on the commute to work. Sunrise is after 6:00 now so I am pretty much in the dark almost all the way to the office.

mtbr member

using Tapatalk
    Here's what I found over my first two winters of commuting in Anchorage AK. Yes, you can ride a standard MTB year round, regardless of what anyone tries to tell you. It can be done.

That said, there are some big caveates:

1) More than two inches of fresh powder and you best plan on hike a biking

2) Take whatever your normal commute time is by bike and multiply it by 1.5 for most days, double it for days with fresh snow

3) Depending on your route, studs may or may not be a requirement - I was lucky that I rode on an MUP for 90% of my daily commute so studs were not necessarily a requirement, but I went with them to ensure that I had the control of the bike I needed to keep myself out of harms way on the 10% of my commute where I was on city streets.

4) Get low... ride the lowest possibly air pressure you can without pinch flatting out - Wider footprint equals better float and control in soft conditions.

The bike I rode during my first two winter commutes was a 2004 Giant NRS - full sus, lovely bike. In Anchorage, the year of my first commute, we ended up with record snowfalls. There were days when I would have to walk part or all of my route because the bike just couldn't get through. That said, I'm now on a Pugsley and last winter I also had a couple of days where, while I wasn't walking the bike, I was peddling no faster than what I could have walked it and burning a lot more energy to do so.

Give it a go and just know that you'll be learning something new about the ride every day. I, personally, love riding in the winter and in the snow because it always is a new challenge. Just keep in mind, it is a lot more work than summer riding - by spring your legs'll be ripped.

My commute today was good-ish. Sciatic pain is back. Trying to figure out what I did to make it flare up again after a good few months without any.

I missed the rain on the way in to work. I guess at about 6:30 it started downpouring and looks like it is still coming down. Good times.

I ended our City's Summer Bike Commute Challenge with 100% of my commutes by bike/bus. Which isn't that interesting, really, as I've been doing 100% bike commute to work for three years now. What is interesting is that even though my co-workers know I'm a bike commuter, they don't seem to realize that I never drive until they see it published somewhere. Because that makes it legit. I guess it goes back to my rant about bike to work day - those of us who bike commute all the time in all weather tend to get marked as loony, but those who do it that one day a year are labeled heroes or something. Bah Humbug.

mtbr member
    May 2006

using Tapatalk
    yes of course

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    $65 in tools to fix a $100 bike.
    Haha! That`s okay, Vegas- the same tools will still work with the next several thousand Dollars worth of bikes. Um... as long as you don`t buy any of those WEIRD bikes with outboard bearings or funky press-in shells
    So, besides the crank puller, what did you get? I can only think of one more you`d need for cartridge BBs or two in the case of loose ball BBs (and I usually fake it for at least one of those two).

I was wondering when winter hits, will I be able to use it? I mean with snow.
    Yes. Exactly how you go about it will be a little different depending on situation and the budget you`re willing to spend (studs are make it a lot easier, but they`re expensive if you buy ready made), but give it a it a go and you`ll learn what techniques/equipment works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    Found another commuting hazard: funeral processions
    As the king of bizarre commuting obstacles, that one is pretty tame for you. Still, I think you`re the first here to post about that particular snag-

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Back from a weeks vacation. Hiking, biking and fishing in that little slice of heaven called the Methow Valley in North-Central Washington.
    Whoohoo! How was the weather for you? Pixels?

I did my first unloaded tour over the weekend. I stayed with my sister, so only had to carry a enough crap to get me through a few long stretches without services, no camping gear. Few miles, lots of elevation, three passes and one thunderstorm. Veeeery slow going. Boy, am I out of shape! Disclaimer: the grade with the sign saying 9% for 8 miles really was nasty, but the sign was a serious overstatement.
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Oh boy, I forgot my shoes today. In retrospect, this alone makes it fortunate I went with MTB shoes over road shoes.

Still got that scuffing sound, I think I'm going to remove my rear fender for a (dry) commute day and see if the sound goes away. It was fixed for a while after I futzed with the rear fender recently so I'm betting yes.

Two Wheeled Terror
    Wow rodar........amazing pics. Looks peaceful and like a good amount of fun....except for the 8% grade part. I could skip that lol

Beamed from my dumbphone

I Ride for Donuts
    Are you getting smoke from the American River fire? Looking at satelite shots, it looks like it keeps going right by you after it passes me.
    Today is the first day when it's really noticeable. From here for the past few days, it looks like it's bad out towards Herlong/Doyle...obviously smoky where you're at if you get up on any hill and look that way, but we've been lucky.
    Today it's finally getting pretty hazy/smelly out there... no ash or anything.

The Pugs is going to have to wait... I am itching to move from the hardtail 29er back to a full suspension mountain bike. It's been a good few years on the hardtail, but a mountain bike purchase is on the list before the fatbike...unless I find something else to sell real quick...

Edit: Nice pics!!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice pics, Rodar. Looks like great fun. The other tools were an adjustable cup wrench, lock ring spanner, and a box end wrench (Park HCW-4). I honestly think I could've probably used my 12" wrench in place of the cup wrench and box end wrench, but it really wasn't the right tool for the right job, and I didn't want to strip out and mangle the cheap parts on this bike. My wife has the same type of Walmart cruiser, so I can use the tools on her bike as well. Originally purchased cruisers for casual neighborhood riding with the family. Never meant to be my commuter. Now that it is my commuter, I'm kind of on a quest to see how long and how many miles I can push this Walmart bike along. As a single speed, I'm thinking forever.

Commute in was dark, humid, and pretty enjoyable. Temps in the seventies. Commute home was humid, warm but not really hot, and mildly enjoyable. Looking forward to winter and fall commuting.

Moderator Moderator
    Super scenic tour Rodar, thanks for the photos!

Before heading out for his gruelathon race, Schott hooked me up with a rental at Burke Bike Park Saturday for a day of downhill fun with about 25 other women. I noticed the reservation tag on the bike had "Barb Mtbxplorer" on it. I'm still in one piece and had a real good time. Alone in the woods is more my thing as a rule, but good fun for something different and good people for sure. The bike, a Norco Truax was super fun too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    morning was good but not memorable

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

As the king of bizarre commuting obstacles, that one is pretty tame for you. Still, I think you`re the first here to post about that particular snag-
    I only post the interesting/unusual stuff. I figured no one wants to know about mundane stuff like trolley tracks or glass on the street.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I only post the interesting/unusual stuff. I figured no one wants to know about mundane stuff like trolley tracks or glass on the street.

I ride on a bed of glass to and from work everyday, when its not entire bottles on the shoulder.
    .....going at a rate of about two patch kits a month. My tubes are actually dotted at this point. But they are holding air so I haven't replaced them

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
    I ride on a bed of glass to and from work everyday, when its not entire bottles on the shoulder.
    .....going at a rate of about two patch kits a month. My tubes are actually dotted at this point. But they are holding air so I haven't replaced them
    Knock on wood, but I've had maybe 4 flats over a period of 2-1/2 years. One of those was due to the rim strip moving out of place.

Would tougher tires help?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Knock on wood, but I've had maybe 4 flats over a period of 2-1/2 years. One of those was due to the rim strip moving out of place.

Would tougher tires help?
    Most likely, I'm still busy wearing out the stockers. Looking at 70 bucks for more road oriented rubber, at least, which I figure buys a butt load of patch kits.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Nice pics rodar. I don't have any to share from my vacation, left the camera alone and just enjoyed the days. I've got fingers crossed for good weather when you arrive up here in Seattle. Still good to go for the Orcas ride.