Page 432 of 608 FirstFirst ... 332 382 422 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 442 482 532 ... LastLast
Results 10,776 to 10,800 of 15179
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    It was 110F outside today, but I needed to pay my Verizon cellphone bill. GF's car was in shop, so I had to commute 6 miles to my local Best Buy. I was done and back home, within 35 minutes....FASTEST commute run yet!

Yes, I could have payed for it online...but when you have a hybrid/commuter like mine - you tend to FIND excuses to ride it:

2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra~
    That's one cool looking bike!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Megabummer about losing out on your land speed record. I didn`t think any modern bike computers still needed to be manually started and stopped for each ride.
    There you go assuming it is modern. It's about 30 years old on that bike. They don't make them like they use to.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I don't know how people with large stables balance their ride time? I've got 3 bikes, and something always seems neglected. Last year I barely rode my hardtail at all. This year, my newly rebuilt hardtail is monopolizing most of my time while my 29er is suffering. There just aren't enough rides in a week.
    Use 'em or loose 'em: The Candid Cyclist: 7 Bikes in 7 Days The newest (newly rebuilt) bike usually gets the most attention. I'm pretty happy to have 2 mountain bikes because my 26er has been down for a month now as I replace 1 piece of the drivetrain at a time only to find that the next one is worn out. The last piece(I hope) arrives today. Otherwise I've been pretty good at balancing them.
    Bike - Miles
    Univega - 554
    Surly "CC" -990
    GT 9er Ex - 525
    Bridgestone - 248
    GT 1.0 - 227
    Scott -107
    Pugsley - 375

I've been traveling for work the last few days. Today I'm taking it easy to save my legs for this: The Great Adventure Challenge at Pleasant Mountain
    Then I'm off for a camping week next week.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Nice ride in. Creaking from the bottom bracket and a little side to side play. After about 1500 miles the Walmart Street Cruiser might need a little work. Can't believe this trusty bike has held up so well. Originally this bike was purchased to be a comfortable neighborhood rider with the wife and kids. Cause I'm usually broke (wife stays home with kids), I had to make this my commuter when I couldn't afford new shocks for my Fisher, thus making the Haro the go to mountain bike instead of the planned commuter. Anyway, not a bad little bike, all and all.

Ride home was warm. Last week's mild reprieve is waning. Kind of chilly in the morning though.
    Probably loose bearing and cups on a Wally bike. Get out your grease, lube it up, retighten and you'll be golden.

mtbr member
    First day of school for my kiddos - first time I've not been there to see them off, but that's okay. They're in middle and high school and really don't want dad around too much anyway...

The bike ride was good. I'm tired. Trying to get used to getting up earlier to hop on the early bus is taking its toll. I may switch back to leaving on a slightly later bus, but haven't decided yet. I like getting to work and have some time to myself.

The bus was late this AM by a few minutes, which pushed my schedule back a bit, but nothing worrisome. Must get a booklight! Too dark to read in the mornings now. Sad.

I Ride for Donuts
    Hi kids,

Can't say I'm thrilled to be back at work today, but it was refreshing to get up with the sunrise and be back on the bike. Not that I was really off of it this summer. Heck of a summer.

But enough of that... back to the grind today. I'll read back a few pages and try to catch up...

1st ride of a zero drive year?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Good to see you back, CB! Extracted this picture from last week's farm market ride:

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Reviewing ride videos can be a learning experience. On the way back from the market last week, I was 3/4 of the way through a left turn into the cross street with a semi unloading and taking part of my lane just after the intersection. So I was about in the middle of the street to clear the driver ahead of me. Just as I was about to cross the crosswalk, I had a fast-walking pedestrian coming from my left. We made eye contact, I went to the right some and she slowed so we cleared by about 2 strides. I was puzzled. I could not understand how it was I did not see her approaching the crosswalk or why she would walk so aggressively into the path of a vehicle in the intersection and about to exit across her path. The video showed that she was under store awnings in the shadows about a store away from the crosswalk and pretty well camouflaged against window displays when I began my turn. Then a store's sidewalk sign completely blocked her from view. Traffic, especially left turning slow moving traffic like me, could not see her as she remained blocked as the relative angles kept her behind the sign, the in the shadow of the last building. She had not seen me either by her reaction. She was so into her power walk she must not have seen me in the intersection about to cross the crosswalk until our eyes met. That sign blocked her view, too. At about 120 pounds and me at about 12 mph with bike and produce over 300, it could have been quite ugly. No harm, no foul, but is shows how these things can sneak up on you when you are trying to be safe out there.

Mostly, I see I react to drivers, who on reviewing the video, are barely pushing the limits of safety. Coming barely within 3 feet or threatening to left hook out of a driveway. I interpret that as being not excessively paranoid about the ones I can see, just appropriately attentive. It was also gratifying that one driver learned to look a bit better and yield before backing out into a street with an oncoming cyclist.

weirdo
    Welcome "home", CB. Zero Drive starts with One Ride- good luck!

Hemmed and hawed, talked myself out of it, changed my mind, round and round, finally parted with $260 for the camera that I don`t need. I was planning to buy myself a very schnazzy new sleeping bag directly from the manufacturer when in Seattle next month- now had better reconsider that luxury. If I skip on the bag because of the camera purchase, I`ll be able to count the camera as a savings. Nothing wrong wtih my justification system

Going to try my first "pansy" tour this weekend: bike in truck, drive ~1 hr and park, ride an unloaded climbfest to my sister`s house, sleep, ride back to truck (more climbing), drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I thought I left it in my helmet on the coatrack at work for a couple days while I used a work car for fieldwork, but I am hoping it will turn up in my car, house, etc.
    Uh-oh. Fingers crossed.
    Yes, please do get home in one piece from the downhill day. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra~
    Hybrids by nature usually aren`t very exciting, but C-dale sure packed some sexy into those babies

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Just as I was about to cross the crosswalk, I had a fast-walking pedestrian coming from my left...

No harm, no foul, but is shows how these things can sneak up on you when you are trying to be safe out there.
    Haha! For all the times that drivers miscalculate a cyclist`s speed (they roll at 5 to 8 MPH, right?), I still plug in the same slow assumed speed for all pedestrians when I calculating the apparent path and projected crossing of my own path. Might be time to rethink! Good job on the forensic study.
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    It appears the upgraded network filter system is making it harder for me to attach pictures. Trying it this way...

How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg

Sweet, that works. That is this morning's "back in the saddle" commute.

mtbr member
    Got an email this morning at work with a "healthy living" survey. Looks like they might improve the gym, locker rooms, add some activity clubs (cycling club was on the list) and give us a bit more time for exercise during the day. Great news since we sit in cubicles all day!

mtbr member
    Haha! For all the times that drivers miscalculate a cyclist`s speed (they roll at 5 to 8 MPH, right?), I still plug in the same slow assumed speed for all pedestrians when I calculating the apparent path and projected crossing of my own path. Might be time to rethink! Good job on the forensic study.
    I saw her midway through the stride (fast) into the crosswalk and calculated a collision was imminent with her second one. So nothing wrong with that part, but you have to see 'em to avoid 'em! I may have a word with the store owner about that sign if it is still there this week.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    It appears the upgraded network filter system is making it harder for me to attach pictures. Trying it this way...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	823956 That is this morning's "back in the saddle" commute.
    These fish-eye lenses can be fun. It looks like you are son-of-elastigirl!

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Got an email this morning at work with a "healthy living" survey. Looks like they might improve the gym, locker rooms, add some activity clubs (cycling club was on the list) and give us a bit more time for exercise during the day. Great news since we sit in cubicles all day!
    All employers with staff who sit a lot, should, as they are damaging their employees health:

Sitting risks: How harmful is too much sitting? - MayoClinic.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good ride in. Took a slightly different route in this morning. On both Tuesday and Wednesday some dude in a pick up truck I don't know honked at me and waved. He basically saw me on the two longest stretches of my commute, so he has a good idea of my route now. Something just told me to switch it up today. So I listened to the internal voice. I'm sure the guy's just friendly, but you never know. I actually have lots of options on my commute, so I'll start switching my commutes up a little.

Ride home hot (110F) and a little muggy.

As for BB, I was thinking the same thing, Schott. Now I gotta go buy all the tools now.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    It rained yesterday afternoon, when I was riding home. It was quite OK, once I no longer needed to worry about GETTING wet.
    Funny how that works. For all the comments about how dry my area is, I have actually had that happen. Don`t think it`s ever been on a bike ride, though. Hope your helmet got a good rinsing so your eyes won`t have to deal with the salt bath next time.
    It seems that the previous soaking was enough to get all the salt out of the helmet...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I don't know what kind of crack August is smoking, but I like it! Temps have been awesome. August is usually hot and muggy, but not this year. We were cool and muggy for a while, but now we're just nice. Lows have been in the 50s and low 60s this week and highs have only been up near 80. I actually had to wear gloves to work because my hands were getting cold.

My new handlebar/stem combo is working out so far. My old Cannondale put the bars really low and kind of far out. Now I have a slightly more modern mtb feel so I can play a bit more on my commute. There is an awesome curved curb where I exit the MUP in to a parking lot I like to ride, and now I'm considering tackling some large rocks on the side of the path. I can clear them on my main mtb, but I don't know if I'll have enough chainring clearance to make it over on this bike.

mtbr member
    Cool one this morning - 48 and humid. Should have worn a hat under the helmet as the ear canals don't like anything below 50. I like the bus on Friday morning - not many riders at all. I almost had decided to wait for the later bus, but decided I was up anyway, might as well get in to town early and then be able to leave a bit earlier this afternoon.

I Ride for Donuts
    Here we go... figuring out this GoPro angle.

I have vowed to ride the trail route as much as possible this year. I'm on a mission to keep it packed and rideable through the winter.

How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg

Ride Everything
    Not too shabby...

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    So muggy this morning. I'm used to 0% humidity.

At the co-op last night someone brought in a bike with Shimano Positron shifting:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3392/...1db77a99_o.jpg

http://velobase.com/CompImages/Shift...3AFBD1553.jpeg

It's early index shifting with a dual cable to the rear (the shifter photo is backwards because its from downunder). Weird.

Huckin' trails

So muggy this morning. I'm used to 0% humidity.

At the co-op last night someone brought in a bike with Shimano Positron shifting:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3392/...1db77a99_o.jpg

http://velobase.com/CompImages/Shift...3AFBD1553.jpeg

It's early index shifting with a dual cable to the rear (the shifter photo is backwards because its from downunder). Weird.
    Hey we had one of these show up too at my local bike co-op earlier this spring. I was the only guy in the place able to figured it out and sent the poor guy back on the road. I really like the design, just not the fact that it's a single shift cable that runs the whole length (you have to get the tandem 3.5m long ones and usually nobody stock them) and that the thumb shifter used a set screw to pinch the cable in place, enhancing fraying and breakage issues.

However I think the one he had was a Suntour, not a Shimano, but I'm not sure anymore. I'll see that guy again in a month or so, I'll take pics too
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

I Ride for Donuts
    Rodar, have you seen that red Pugsley in Scheels? Oh man it was hard to leave without that thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

We had a big earthquake yesterday so the traffic was gridlocked. Luckily I was riding so I could slice through easily and get home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Perfect ride in. I'm actually enjoying my new commute route. First part is through the rich neighborhoods and second leg is through the ghetto. Nice contrast.

Ride home sucked. Hot (110F) and muggy. Even hit a little rainy patch. Knew it wouldn't last long though--down pours in the bright sunlight never seem to last.

Did some tinkering on the Monocog and am ready for my Blue Diamond ride tomorrow. Funny how quickly the week flies by. . .

mtbr member
    Had the bike in the shop since Tuesday for work that I can't do so I've been out of riding for 4 days and I'm going a little nutty. Sounds odd, but I'm Jonesing for a ride . It's a problem with only having 1 bike, something I'm hoping to remedy soon enough. The break though has brought me perspective and realize how integral riding has become to my mental well-being. Hey, at least the EPL starts tomorrow so that will keep me occupied.

weirdo
    Man, nasty shift at work tonight- I had the same assembly apart I don`t know how many times. It would all work fine in bits and pieces, but when I put the stuff into the shell and tightened it all up, it kept binding. Finally got it going and took it upstairs to install, then had to rip it up again because it wasn`t in sync with the mirror imaged part on the other end of the machine. I was very happy to see my bike when it was all over.

Really smokey still, and now we have ash added in. Glad I`ll be weekending downwind of the fire

Neato. I`d heard of Positron, but didn`t realize it used twin cables. Did you guys call David C over to fix it?

Rodar, have you seen that red Pugsley in Scheels? Oh man it was hard to leave without that thing.
    Sorry, I`ve only been there a few times since they opened, most recently probably close to two years ago. I have seen a few fatties on CL, but they disappear almost instantly.

Are you getting smoke from the American River fire? Looking at satelite shots, it looks like it keeps going right by you after it passes me.

Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    We had a big earthquake yesterday so the traffic was gridlocked. Luckily I was riding so I could slice through easily and get home.
    I heard about that. Sounds like it wasn`t quite as bad as the one you had a couple years ago?
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    It would help to keep those trails packed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I heard about that. Sounds like it wasn`t quite as bad as the one you had a couple years ago?
    That was a series three major ones in Christchurch, Sept 2010, Feb 2011 & a big pair within a couple of hours in June, waking to the first is the scariest thing I've experienced.
    Biking in the last big one wasn't as hard as I'd imagined it would be.
    Bikers cleared this track within a few days of the Feb event and have been threatened with a $5000 fine if caught using it by the disaster capitalists ever since.