Page 432 of 439 FirstFirst ... 332382422428429430431432433434435436 ... LastLast
Results 21,551 to 21,600 of 21927
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yup I would agree expontially worse at -5F (-20C )....and by -35C about twice as worse again.

Really no solutions, just partial fixes....other than waiting for summer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I design build in the oil biz...

We reduce productivity by half at -20C and really don't work much below -30C....except in emergencies...

Which of course happen more when it is cold.

mtbr member
    First commute this year for me and also first real ride in over two weeks.

It was about 2C but felt cold and especially this morning, the bike felt very sluggish and slow. In my case though, I think it was more being out of training AND enjoy a lot of good food over the Christmas period. I gained around 2kg

Ride home was the same. Forgot my buff in the office and didnt bother to go back. Well, froze almost my ears off. At 3C I figured it couldnt be that dangerous, I'm just not used to it.

Again I would like to express my respect for people that regularly commute at -10C or even much lower...but I always thought that friction decreases when approaching absolute zero

CB of the East
    Thanks. Now I'm interested in trying the grease to see if it helps. The teflon stuff says it is excellent to -30C and rated to -51C from what I have found. I've certainly ridden in temps this low before but today seemed to be the biggest drag. -28C is my record so far and -35C may never happen...waiting for summer. Actually, the snow biking is pretty good right now. I'd love to do some at a nice moderate temperature a few degrees below freezing.
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 01-09-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Unit conversion :)

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Again I would like to express my respect for people that regularly commute at -10C or even much lower...but I always thought that friction decreases when approaching absolute zero
    Yes, I need to get a set of those Shimano superconducting magnetic bearings.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    This fatbike seems to suffer from cold related slowness more than any other bike I've owned. I literally stopped and spun the wheels to see if they still spun 3 times this ride because it seemed like they wheels were barely turning. They don't spin as long but it hardly seems like they should be offering as much drag as they are.

I may investigate pulling the "sealed" bearings apart and putting in some low temp grease.

Opinions?

Attachment 1114699
    OPINION #1 Leave early and don't look at a clock or timer. Be one with the slowness.
    OPINION #2 Also, does the BB spin OK with the chain off? That one crept up on me super slowly (more resistance, why m I so slow/this feel so hard) until pedaling just locked up mid-ride.

How much slower than "normal"? Almost double would not surprise me.

Moderator Moderator
    Skipped the bikecommute for a fast fatbike ride this afternoon on the snowmo trails. Glad to get it in before the forecast warmup. 3 people, 1 crash, 1 broken chain/bent hanger, 1 bent handlebar. Great conditions except for that icy spot after the fast downhill. I am less daredevilish and did not crash but I also had the benefit of watching him go down first.

Protip - he always puts 2 quicklinks in the chain instead of 1, so 1 is handy if the chain breaks. Despite the 5F, he was able to fix it quickly and ride back home.

Training for the Darwin's
    This fatbike seems to suffer from cold related slowness more than any other bike I've owned. I literally stopped and spun the wheels to see if they still spun 3 times this ride because it seemed like they wheels were barely turning. They don't spin as long but it hardly seems like they should be offering as much drag as they are.

I may investigate pulling the "sealed" bearings apart and putting in some low temp grease.

Opinions?
    Low temp grease might do the trick. There's not much grease there, but you might check the seals too. A little goopy grease there could slow things a lot. My last cold friction issue turned out to be bad bearings in the rear wheel and BB.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

I'd rather be on my bike
    0 commutes so far in 2017 and we are 9 days in. This is pretty sad. Temps hovering around freezing with snow/rain mix for the rest of the week. I don't know if I will ride yet or not.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 644.5/5000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Again I would like to express my respect for people that regularly commute at -10C or even much lower.
    Yep, same here too.

It was a wet ride home last night. Stepped outside to unlock etc and it was light rain. 60:40 in favour of not wearing waterproofs, just too warm. Ride was ok but I was wet through by the time I got home. Still the reight decision though as I would have been wet either way.

Ride in started chilly as my gear didn't fully dry overnight, despite being on the radiator. Otherwise ok. Since my off last week I've been seriously considering going to flats bars with ends rather than the drops I'm on at the moment. As I think about the handling it seems that a 100mm stem then riding the hoods on relatively narrow bars makes my steering input sluggish. I'll see what I have kicking around and ponder some more.
    2017 - 615/4000 commute miles

No Bueno today. Pulled the new fatbike off the hook for it's inaugural commute and noticed that it was raining lightly right at 32F. I can overlook the lack of traction if it's dry and the rain if it's not slick (hard to warm up riding carefully), but the combination of both with reduced visibility at 5 am was more than I was willing to risk.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The ice finally got me. Was turning out of my neighborhood, apparently on some black ice and went down.

Ripped my jacket, broke my light mount into a half dozen pieces, sheared the bolt holding my rack to the seat stay.

Walked back home and my wife drove me in to work.

CB of the East
    TenSpeed - Bummer, I didn't get on the bike until Jan 5th and I felt like I was slacking, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    OPINION #1 Leave early and don't look at a clock or timer. Be one with the slowness.
    OPINION #2 Also, does the BB spin OK with the chain off? That one crept up on me super slowly (more resistance, why m I so slow/this feel so hard) until pedaling just locked up mid-ride.

How much slower than "normal"? Almost double would not surprise me.
    Option 1, not an option. If it was leaving late; that might be do-able.
    Option 2, haven't' checked the BB but the bike seems like it is dragging on downhills with no peddling.

How much slower? Today was slightly warmer (-4F vs -8F when I left) and I took my 27.5+ bike. 9.2MPH vs 7.3MPH. That might not sounds like a lot but I would call today's slowness normal. Compared to yesterday it felt like I was flying. I think there is something going on with the fatty when it gets cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Low temp grease might do the trick. There's not much grease there, but you might check the seals too. A little goopy grease there could slow things a lot. My last cold friction issue turned out to be bad bearings in the rear wheel and BB.
    The rear wheel bearing are new...which makes them suspect. The whole bike only has about 600 miles on it.

I'll check it out this weekend. In the meantime:
    How was your commute today?-goodmorning.jpg
    Good Morning!
    How was your commute today?-18_5lbsclothes.jpg
    18.5lbs of Clothes and gear!

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    The ice finally got me. Was turning out of my neighborhood, apparently on some black ice and went down.

Ripped my jacket, broke my light mount into a half dozen pieces, sheared the bolt holding my rack to the seat stay.

Walked back home and my wife drove me in to work.
    I have some very nice Nokian Gazza Extreme 29er tires for sale. It sounds like you might be in the market. I home nothing else was hurt but your pride. Black ice is sneaky sneaky sneaky. Never underestimate the sneakiness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've had studded tires on my Amazon wish list for a couple winters now, and I keep putting them off

I think I'm pretty okay, right knee is a little stiff. Studied martial arts for a while, don't know if I can fight but they did a good job teaching us how to fall. My head never touched the ground, so that's a win. New mount for the light is on the way, working on finding a replacement spacer for my rack, hoping I can patch my jacket and life will go on.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Honestly, I have not been too keen on commuting at this point. Was put on a work restriction due to my legs. Appointment on the 30th for the right leg to have the sapphenous vein removed. I am only off that day and back to work the rest of the week. They do not want me laying around the house, that is when you are the most prone to throwing a clot or DVT. Off the bike at that point for a week and then they specifically want me back on riding again. My restriction says I cannot stand in one place for more than 30 minutes. My job is 90% on your feet, but there is a lot of walking involved except for one certain slot, which I have been removed from. People are already asking questions and murmuring about me riding and still being able to walk and that I only need one day off. They don't seem to understand how this works, and I am in the medical field. They of all people should understand. They just see restriction, oh, but he can ride his bike. Uh, yeah, constant movement is helpful in preventing a DVT.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rode in on the Tallboy this morning..3 inch x 27.5 tires pumped up hard...

Partially to test Bedward's comments, partially to help out with the car snot....

I only ever planned to ride this bike to work when snow became a problem.

Anyway, bike road through car snot like it wasn't there. due to the width of the tire and I think the round profile of the tire. I have some Nokians 2.5 inch wide but they have a very flat profile....

But on the hardpack or black top the tire rolling resistance was very noticeable....again near that doubling of work.

Overall ride much faster cause car snot dominated the ride.

mtbr member
    F4S glad that you are ok and look after that knee. Maybe give it a bit of rest?

Tenspeed, dont make an issue of it. No one except you knows what is going on in your body.

Rides today again uneventful but enjoying the renewed MUP every day. Lots of rain is forecasted for tomorrow, we'll see. Been wearing the rainjacket already 2 days and the rainpants are at hand.

Moderator Moderator
    [QUOTE=bedwards1000;12990821]I think there is something going on with the fatty when it gets cold.
    The rear wheel bearing are new...which makes them suspect. The whole bike only has about 600 miles on it. [end of bedwards' quote]

This was posted locally in reference to Mukluks and Norcos, but this hub problem is surely not limited to their bikes: The problem you may have experienced has been happening with a lot of manufacturers mid level wheels. Some hubs manufactured by Novatec. Sometimes they have the Novatec logo, sometimes they were made to be a house brand hub for other companies.

The longer axles are a part of the problem (fat bike hubs). In the instance of the Novatec hub, they've kept the same basic freehub design while stretching the axle, the issue is that in a fat bike wheel there is a bit more hub and axle flex, the freehub is a common place of weakness, and in this case can create failure. I've had amazing luck with the DT Swiss fatbike hub as a replacement, the Hope hub is good too.

mtbr member
    Pleasant ride home last night, still water left from the rain but generally dry. Sky was clear and a bright full moon (or nearly) was lighting things up nicely. Could have run without lights if I had to.

This morning, bright, clear and dry again, about 9-10C with a 5C feel.

Bedwards, I see you changed your sig and reminded me; your distance for last year was impressive but the climbing, wow, legs of steel!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi guys! I am back in the saddle after a wee weather induced break...

I also fitted a new pair of tyres to my China CX; Challenge Strada Biancha (30mm wide "gravel tyres"). Perfect for poor asphalt / gravel etc in Norway, I thought...

No.

I managed 5 km before puncturing with a stone straight through the top of the tread.

Since they are so effing difficult to fit, they were equally difficult to remove again. In the rain. With a temp of +3C. From which one must deduct wind chill... So difficult to remove and subsequently replace were they that I snapped a tyre lever. In the rain.

Oh, and after fixing the puncture I managed another 5 km or so before the same thing happened on to the other tyre... With no spare tubes left I had no option but to run. In the rain. I was effing freezing...

When I got to work, I had a look at the tyres. Check the state of these, after only 10 km or so riding...

I regret not fitting the "Anti Platt" things now... I thought the ones I had would be too narrow, so I ordered the wider ones today...

Happy days...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-img_1432.jpg  

How was your commute today?-img_1431.jpg  

How was your commute today?-img_1428.jpg  

How was your commute today?-img_1430.jpg  

How was your commute today?-img_1429.jpg  

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Honestly, I have not been too keen on commuting at this point. Was put on a work restriction due to my legs. Appointment on the 30th for the right leg to have the sapphenous vein removed. I am only off that day and back to work the rest of the week. They do not want me laying around the house, that is when you are the most prone to throwing a clot or DVT. Off the bike at that point for a week and then they specifically want me back on riding again. My restriction says I cannot stand in one place for more than 30 minutes. My job is 90% on your feet, but there is a lot of walking involved except for one certain slot, which I have been removed from. People are already asking questions and murmuring about me riding and still being able to walk and that I only need one day off. They don't seem to understand how this works, and I am in the medical field. They of all people should understand. They just see restriction, oh, but he can ride his bike. Uh, yeah, constant movement is helpful in preventing a DVT.
    Honestly if your medically trained co-workers cannot understand the restriction, then they're just dang clueless.

Did not bike yesterday, wind sustained around 25 - 30 mph but gusting as high as 59 mph (quite often, too).
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Sh*t TenSpeed - sorry I didn't see this and respond; I just scanned the thread and plowed on with my own story...

I wish all the best for you, man - it is good that you can ride still! Best of luck with your operation, man, and good health from then onward!

mtbr member
    Windy here too. I avoided the worst of it but got slammed with a few nice gusts on my way home. I also dodged the rain so far this week. We'll see if that luck continues. Temps are mild though.

CB of the East
    Thanks Ghost, I'll put those tires on the never buy list. I vote for Gatorskins. They are a little heavy but pretty darn tough. I've got a wire bead set that I have worn square. There is a nice fresh set of folding bead ones waiting to go on for next season. Last summer I finished a 100 mile ride and noticed a huge staple had gone through the tread and out the sidewall and I never knew it. I'm not sure if the puncture protection re-routed it or if I was just lucky.
    The longer axles are a part of the problem (fat bike hubs).
    Yup, I've read a few threads about that. The fantastic new wide format is just plain weaker. The Pigsley went 3 years without a problem.
    I've had amazing luck with the DT Swiss fatbike hub as a replacement, the Hope hub is good too.
    You probably dress out little lighter than 190.5
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Bedwards, I see you changed your sig and reminded me; your distance for last year was impressive but the climbing, wow, legs of steel!
    Oh stop it, it's going to go to my head! I get about 1000'/day on my commute weather I want it or not. Veloviewer updates the signature for me whenever I log in.

No ride for me today. It want from -4F yesterday to +40F today! The trails and lake are too soft. I could have gone on the very sloppy road but I chose sleep. I'm slacking! I turned 50 over the weekend so I'm blaming everything on that.

mtbr member
    Decent commute in today. -6F at the house and -3 in town. Freezing fog in town, so the -3 felt a lot colder with the dampness.

Edit: Just went out to feel the temps to see about taking a ride over lunch and found my bike looking like:

How was your commute today?-20170111_102259.jpg

How was your commute today?-20170111_102228.jpg

A bit damp and cold.

mtbr member
    H0ly cr4p Ghost, that is really incredible for such new tires. Didnt you find any reviews about the quality? Or are the norwegian roads that bad??

Dry rides both way for me today against expectations. Rainfront came in 1 hr later as predicted and had passed around 5pm already. Temps around 2C in the morning and 6C on the way home. Today it was windy but it was a tailwind this morning. During the day we have had 17kts wind with gusts 25. By the time I went home winds had calmed down to around steady 10kts. At 5pm the last signs of sunset were in the west and a full moon was rising on the east - simply wonderful.

On a small road I scared off a roe deer, it jumped over the ditch and went away between the trees.

Edit: blockphi, rep added 2u for that picture!! And to the guy on the other bike!!
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 01-12-2017 at 10:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That has to be frustrating Ghost. I found I need heavy, puncture resistant tires or else I will flat every 5-10 miles on my commute. So much glass on the side of the roads here it's ridiculous. Hope you find something that works for you.

Got back on the bike after yesterdays spill, temps are above freezing so not as bad but still a few sections of ice. Walked a couple times and rode through some grass to stay off a long stretch of glare ice. Luckily bike seems to be fine and my injuries seem to have amounted to just a skinned knee and elbow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah, Im astounded about the durability. I have fired off a refund request to Wiggle and complained to Challenge too, for good measure. This was on wet asphalt with some small shingle/gravel coverage here and there. My Vittoria Corsa G+ have a very similar construction, but are a-ok after a few hundred kms on the same roads, so god knows what the issue is with these tyres. I had read that these were a bit weak on puncture protection, but garbage after 10km? Not acceptable...

I was so pissed that I decided to take the bike into the LBS. I am not willing to take this chance again, so Im going for WTC Crosswolfs in32c set up tubeless.

mtbr member
    Just me riding to work.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPIHL6OhU-j/

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Overdressed for the ride in and underdressed for the ride home. Amazing how much 12 degrees and a little wind can change things.

mtbr member
    Wow Ghost that sucks especially when it's hard to get the stupid tires off. There's always alot of glass on my trail it is everywhere, I've had great luck with the Spesh Nimbus, only 1 flat in over a year and that was from a freak drywall screw that even gouged my rim. When I'm not paying attention I occasionally heard a crunch of glass.

blockphi nice pic! How do you ride after that? Just take off or get the ice scraper out from under the seat?

Good luck on the surg Tenspeed keep moving!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    Just me riding to work.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPIHL6OhU-j/

I hate to be too critical...but that could be one of the dullest videos I've ever seen. It might be worth some free Gore-Tex.

January thaw going on here. I took the roads in. Boo!

mtbr member
    Very windy ride this morning. 2C and a steady 20kts headwind on the 2nd half this morning. Had a lower average as usual but who cares - for me its not a race, its the way to work.

On the way home wind calmed down a bit and the rising full moon was visible too. Tailwind was nice on the first half and did not bother much on the last half of the ride.

During the night and the morning there is some snow predicted. Usually, 10mm of snow brings everything to a total standstill here, so I am looking forward to ride and having the bikepaths totally deserted as usual.

mtbr member
    I have ridden by this spot at least 50 times and only noticed this morning a faded graffiti cyclists tribute. Cyclists are people too!
    #cyclistsarepeopletoo #lifebehindbars #bicyclecommute

I'd rather be on my bike
    Almost 2 weeks into the new year and I still have not commuted. We had warmer (lol like 36) temps and rain Wednesday night, and then the temp dropped, and the ice pellets fell. Roads were still sketch when I drove to work Thursday. Off for the 13th and hoping to get a commute in on Saturday. Supposed to be clear and no precipitation until next week now. I am sure that the MUP is wrecked so just getting out of my complex might be an issue.

mtbr member
    That sucks Ten, hope you get some miles in soon...

Ride in yesterday was dry, about 6C with a cold headwind. The snowpocalypse (about 2cm) was predicted for the afternoon. Turned out to be just rain. Ride home was about 1-2C, wet and still windy. It moved a bit from the morning but was at worst a crosswind.. Actually glad of the waterproof.

So the prediction for last night was freezing, which it was. I had planned for the car as the forecast had said to expect strong winds as the day progresses, 45mph with gusts to 65mph! Left my house in the car and it was cold and surprisingly dry considering the rain last night. By the time I got to work it was snowing. Barely any wind at the moment and I wish I'd biked. We'll see if the wind turns up and if that sentiment stands.

mtbr member
    I hate to be too critical...but that could be one of the dullest videos I've ever seen. It might be worth some free Gore-Tex.

January thaw going on here. I took the roads in. Boo!
    Keep it real. I'll take the Gore-Tex.

Last edited by bikeCOLORADO; 01-13-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Decent ride in today, but I over dressed and had a horrible calf cramp when I got to work. Hoping the ride home is better.

mtbr member
    It.snowed here overnight and this morning, but it was 1C and it.was quite slushy. Rode anyway and it went surprisingly well. Needed a few minutes more but thst was it. Most of it melted during the day but the leftover chunks started to freeze when I left work. Roads were mostly free but still had icy/chunky spots which made it quite tricky. The first time I braked the rear wheel locked up immediately so I was alarmed right away and in some spots I even thought it would have been better to take the bus.

But I made it home again in one piece and without scratches. That makes 5 commuting days this week.

Next week is going to be colder apparently. Forecast is going down to -9C so that would be a new record for me. And temps are supposed to.stay below 0C even during the day for s week or so, really very unusual for here.

Tenspeed sounds like your weather is similar, so I can fully understand you. Hope you are back on the bike soon!

Human Test Subject
    I nearly froze to death riding home from class the other night. It was -4F when I got home. My record is -22F so I wasn't concerned beforehand, but this ride was 2 hours long, not 45 like my record.

I climbed a hill that I should have walked and overheated. My googles iced up immediately and soon after my core got too sweaty. It was all downhill from there. My forearms sweat too much in that jacket for long cold exposure too, so my hands got cold in gloves in Revelate Designs pogies.

I regret not taking my temp when I got home. My stomach and chest were cold to the touch. I ordered a (hopefully) more breathable jacket though! When I rode to class I didn't zip it up, which was another mistake.

CB of the East
    ^^That's a long time for that cold. I hear you on the goggles icing after a big effort. Once they ice there's no fixing them until you get in a warm place.

No jackets breath enough for riding hard in the cold. If you find one, let me know. Everything I've tried leaves me clammy underneath.

Human Test Subject
    I ordered a 45nrth Naughtvind. Sounds like the softshell fabric is of higher quality. There are vents too to extend the temp range, so hopefully I can sell off my two Pearl Izumi jackets to help pay for it.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Tell me more about the PI jackets? Size? Interested.

Well, my first commute of the year is under the belt. It kind of sucked. Getting out of the complex was the issue. First mile of my ride? I walked it. Ice everywhere in the park. Once out, the ride was pretty good on the fixed gear. Had a girl try to squeeze me out entering a roundabout but I firmly stood my ground and put my hand up to hold her back. Ride home? Well, that got interesting. 19F which isn't too bad, however, while the roads were not completely wet, they were not completely dry either. Bike lanes had various spots of visible ice so I took the lane which was fine since the traffic that late at night was almost none. There was a super light mist in the air, and it was sketching me out big time. Did get a compliment waiting at the light. Cute couple in a car was just blown away that I was riding. They gave me kudos which made the rest of the ride home seem like nothing. The further into the back streets I got, the slicker it got. The roads were starting to frost. Debated on taking a longer way and hoping for dry roads, but in the end decided to hoof it through the park. Shortest commute I think I have ever done from this apartment. Weather to be the exact same on Sunday so I am undecided as to my mode of transportation to work. Supposed to warm up a bit and some rain in the forecast so hopefully the ice disappears. They are saying 48F and mild by next Sunday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I nearly froze to death riding home from class the other night. It was -4F when I got home. My record is -22F so I wasn't concerned beforehand, but this ride was 2 hours long, not 45 like my record.

I climbed a hill that I should have walked and overheated. My googles iced up immediately and soon after my core got too sweaty. It was all downhill from there. My forearms sweat too much in that jacket for long cold exposure too, so my hands got cold in gloves in Revelate Designs pogies.

I regret not taking my temp when I got home. My stomach and chest were cold to the touch. I ordered a (hopefully) more breathable jacket though! When I rode to class I didn't zip it up, which was another mistake.
    My jacket does the same, but I under line it with a wind vest (back is all mesh). Keeps my chest and stomach warmer without making the rest of the jacket too warm. Plus I can unzip the jacket to vent and still protect my chest while riding.

Moderator Moderator
    A couple tough rides this week. One morning was 5F and when I stopped at a light at about mile 3, the freehub froze up and put the drivetrain into neutral; the pedals turn, the cassette turns, but the wheel wouldn't turn. Bummer! I started to "scooter" it to the next bus stop, but I tried pedaling again and got it to catch. A few brief slips on the remaining 5 miles, but I tried to keep the pressure even, held my breath at the lights, and it kept going.

The next morning it warmed up and I decided to ride the CX bike. Had to drop the car off for a recall repair, and the 3 mile ride down the hill on a busy road from the dealer to town was a white knuckler. Gusty winds, black ice, and packed slush made it uncomfortably scary. I was also missing the disc brakes, the cantis just did not make the grade. I was wondering if I would be able to stop at the light at the bottom, but luckily I just got through on the yellow.

A couple tough rides this week. One morning was 5F and when I stopped at a light at about mile 3, the freehub froze up and put the drivetrain into neutral; the pedals turn, the cassette turns, but the wheel wouldn't turn. Bummer! I started to "scooter" it to the next bus stop, but I tried pedaling again and got it to catch. A few brief slips on the remaining 5 miles, but I tried to keep the pressure even, held my breath at the lights, and it kept going.

The next morning it warmed up and I decided to ride the CX bike. Had to drop the car off for a recall repair, and the 3 mile ride down the hill on a busy road from the dealer to town was a white knuckler. Gusty winds, black ice, and packed slush made it uncomfortably scary. I was also missing the disc brakes, the cantis just did not make the grade. I was wondering if I would be able to stop at the light at the bottom, but luckily I just got through on the yellow.
    Kinda makes the first Gen Pugsly look even better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    My jacket does the same, but I under line it with a wind vest (back is all mesh). Keeps my chest and stomach warmer without making the rest of the jacket too warm. Plus I can unzip the jacket to vent and still protect my chest while riding.
    ^^super tip!! I have a similar vest (Craft high-viz) and tomorrow will be -6C - will test that combination right away.

mtbr member

Glad you made it MTBX!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post

Thermal management is critical