Page 431 of 620 FirstFirst ... 331 381 421 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 441 481 531 ... LastLast
Results 10,751 to 10,775 of 15490
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice ride in. Took a slightly modified way to shake up monotony. Not sure if I liked it. I am a creature of routine. Even though the route I took in is the EXACT route I take home, felt wrong doing it in the morning instead of afternoon. Actually felt a little chilly this morning with temps in the low seventies. Subtle signs of the summer battling it out with the oncoming fall taking place in the early morning.

Rode the Monocog on Sunday. Did 16 miles of single track and loved every second of it. Almost did the eight mile loop for the third time but thought I should be getting home. Did experience one flat on the trail and had two more by the time I got home. All of my bikes have 5x thorn resistant tubes with slime and tire liners. Wanting to keep the Monocog more on the light side, I wanted to see if I could just run "plain old tubes." Mistake. Bought 5x Slime tubes and tire liners yesterday and will put in tires before next weekend's ride. Goatheads litter the single tracks in my area. I think weight tradeoff makes sense here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Going to try stopping by Lowe's after work today to pick up an online order (for a bottle of wood glue). We'll see if they object to walking the bike in with me.
    I only had a problem at one store. A fifty mile round trip. Last minute health food store stop and I left my cable and lock at home. I should have walked the narrow aisles with it but leaned it out to the way to the side of one cash register where the owner was doing weekly books. She said I could lock it up to the 10" x 10" posts supporting the front overhang. I said yep, I could if I had brought 10 pounds of locks on a 50 mile round trip. I wasn't her typical cyclist customer from in town and I drop a lot os money there each month. Nobody else has said squat.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Oh, and I have seen a picture of a rabbit that "won" or at least the bike lost. The rabbit had got jammed between the fork and the brake calipers of a carbon fork and done some serious damage. Probably stopped the bike pretty quick too.
    There was a whole photo series of similar carnage (more similar to your memory than to BrianMc`s correction) on the NV forum a long time ago. A cottontail was wedged between the spokes and the fork uppers, had to be euthanized. Somehow, no damage to the bike or rider came of the incedent. I tried to search it back up again a few years back, but drew a blank.

Megabummer about losing out on your land speed record. I didn`t think any modern bike computers still needed to be manually started and stopped for each ride.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I had a root canal follow-up this morning, so I drove in. The good news is, I'll ride home.
    Now there`s a brave soul! The LAST thing I ever want after a dental ordeal is any kind of exercise to help the throbbing along. How`s life with the new addition treating you?
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Some nice riding and trailwork with Keeper yesterday.
    How was your commute today?-p1020293.jpg

If you take enough blind action shots, eventually you will like one. I wish I had on white socks too.
    How was your commute today?-best-paw-forward.jpg

He was hilarious when I used the McLeod to work on drainage, he came over a few times and dug furiously at the spot.
    How was your commute today?-p1020300.jpg

We also saw this crazy caterpillar - you can see it is huge and it tried to steal my car.
    How was your commute today?-p1020304.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    \
    We also saw this crazy caterpillar - you can see it is huge and it tried to steal my car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020304.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	823224
    I saw one of those outside work the other day! Can't figure out what it was exactly.

mtbr member
    Good commute this AM. I do hate this time of year, though. It is dark enough to need lights in the morning, but because there is no snow to help reflect the light, they seem to just die right in front of me and don't really do anything. Not that I have a hugely powerful light set up, but it works excellent well in the winter. I use the Princton Tec Apex headlamp on my helmet - 200 lumens on high, and a cheap Rocky Mountain flashlight mounted to the bars - 100 lumens.

Legs felt a bit dead today. Though I know why - over the weekend I finally set up the weight machine that I bought for the family before we closed on the house and I started lifting yesterday following a four day a week program that just happened to start with the legs. Squats kick my booty. The rest are simple enough, but the extra leg work was felt today. I hope that the strength training helps kick in some additional weight loss. I'd love to get down to 220 or so. I suppose that means I should figure out exactly where I'm at right now. Last I checked it was around 260, but who knows? I go up and down quite a bit throughout the year. Usually I weigh quite a bit less at the end of the winter and then slowly pack it on during the summer - too much beer and too many hot dogs on the grill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Hard work when you haven't got opposable thumbs. Looks like a member of the Sphinx moth family, larva stage. Doesn't have the horns of a tomato worm, though. They're slower than a spotted salamander, BTW.

Moderator Moderator
    Rainy, 60F, but a nice ride in after driving yesterday (a beautiful day, of course). One annoying senior driver going so slow that even I was tailgating. Another apparently had a “Tractor Supply Emergency” and had to cut me off to take a right turn into the store’s lot. I got the first monthly bikecommuter schwag packet from the new “Capital Commuters” campaign, and it included a $10 gift card to the LBS/outdoor store, which I can definitely use, and some restaurant/fitness discounts I am less likely to use.

Back in the Saddle Again
    Got my Jamis single speed project on the road and took it out on my morning route, to the LB/CS to work and will be taking my trip home for lunch soon. It's odd feeling because I am used to shifting up and down hills, so more coasting so far. I am going to switch out cogs to find the best option.

I had to make due with a pair of mtb brake pads and found that they squeal at the pitch and volume of a bottle rocket, no joke. I found that it works wonderful for a horn as it easily gets peoples attention.

How was your commute today?-img_20130813_142930.jpg

I still need to get the tape on the bars and waiting on a headset cap but it's road worthy. I am no used to such a light bike.
    Live, Learn, and Upgrade when possible.
    ----------------
    2009 Jamis Venture Sport SS (Ratbike)
    2013 Surly 1X1 Polo bike
    2009 Globe Vienna (Mule)

Ride Everything
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    When will people learn????

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Gorgeous ride in. Pretty much dark now when I start with light breaking when I get to work. Mid-seventies. Ride home a toasty 109F. I don't want to come across as a poacher, but I did transport a red eared slider turtle home on my bike today. Caught this guy in the wash soon to be lined in concrete. Just stuck him in the ice chest I brought the fish home in, added a splash of water, and a pretty easy commute actually. He's cruising my backyard pond as I type.

Very bummed out to hear a cyclist got killed in Boulder. But it should remind all of us that what we do is pretty dangerous. . .no matter how careful we are.

Moderator Moderator
    Sorry to hear about that Mark, safe travels.

I looked at the street view of the location, and it doesn't seem to be a tough place to see oncoming cyclists. I believe the truck was going left into this driveway, and the cyclist was oncoming with the right of way. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CC8Q8gEwAA

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about this Boulder cyclist. He is my age! Riding with another and still not seen? At least the truck driver has a tentative charge and they aren't trying to blame the cyclist.

Natural Born Killer
    After a brief period when it seemed like summer again, the unseasonably cool weather has returned. Its was 49 degrees when I left the house at 6:30 this morning. Our high today is supposed to be 74. Our average highs should be in the mid 80's. Last year at this time we were suffering through record breaking drought and high temps. Go figure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Well we're actually getting what feels like summer, after the monsoons of June and the fake-fall of July. Yesterday I realized that I've gone for lunchhour rides almost every day this month, when I did maybe 2 in all of June and July.

I don't know how people with large stables balance their ride time? I've got 3 bikes, and something always seems neglected. Last year I barely rode my hardtail at all. This year, my newly rebuilt hardtail is monopolizing most of my time while my 29er is suffering. There just aren't enough rides in a week.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Flat tire this morning....maybe a pinch flat off a grating??

Pulled the 1.25 tire off, and stuffed a 2.2 inch tube inside, inflated and away I went...

No tire levers either.

weirdo
    I`ve been hot, but the temps really aren`t that bad. This week`s past and forecasted future shows a very limited range- highs from 89 to 91 and lows from 51 to 53. Dry as a bone, windy every afternoon. The fire season hasn`t been as bad as it really should be- currently getting a lot of smoke though from a burn between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I don't know how people with large stables balance their ride time? I've got 3 bikes, and something always seems neglected.
    I have trouble with that too, and don`t have a huge stable. This year, as usual, I`ve been mostly riding two bikes (one gets the lions share of my riding every year, the "second bike" sort of rotates from year to year). Those are both ready to roll at any time, but the tandem and a few others that rarely get used always seem to get grungy and need a preride clean/lube before I can take them out. I think if they were better sheltered they`d fare better.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Good commute this AM. A bit tired after not getting home until late last night after running errands in town. I am starting to like the 5:10 bus. It's not terribly crowded and it gets me to work by 6:15 by the time I get changed and logged into my computer. I like having about two hours of near silence in which to work before the rest of the drones get here.

Back in the Saddle Again
    After my commute yesterday and out to the LBS this morning, I decided I needed to drop a cog size on the SS Jamis from a 21T to 18T. The ride to work, home and back to work went better, so I think I found the right ratio.
    Live, Learn, and Upgrade when possible.
    ----------------
    2009 Jamis Venture Sport SS (Ratbike)
    2013 Surly 1X1 Polo bike
    2009 Globe Vienna (Mule)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Now there`s a brave soul! The LAST thing I ever want after a dental ordeal is any kind of exercise to help the throbbing along. How`s life with the new addition treating you?
    Well...it was a 6-month follow-up, so no pain this time. The little guy is doing well. He's pretty good at messing diapers and keeping us awake at night.

mtbr member
    Had to drive for the second day in a row (okay, didn't HAVE TO). Yesterday there were severe thunderstorms forecasted (of course it barely rained) and today one of my employees asked me for a ride from the place he's getting his Jeep worked on.

Moderator Moderator
    Bummed that I've been missing my GPS for about a week. I thought I left it in my helmet on the coatrack at work for a couple days while I used a work car for fieldwork, but I am hoping it will turn up in my car, house, etc. I suppose it could have fallen off the bike or out of a car (my sunglasses did that last week and I was lucky to see them before I ran them over), but who knows. I will probably switch to a bike computer I have kicking around as I tend not to get lost and need the GPS for commuting, but I do like it for hiking, skiing, MTB'g and exploring.

Nice rides today, upper 50's or 60F both ways. It rained on my work group walk (um... group of 1 today) but no rain on the bike.

Tomorrow is "Friday", because we have Bennington Battle Day off! I should see Schott at Burke Saturday as I signed up for some downhilling with She Flows the Burke Bike Park and will be renting a bike. Hoping to have fun and walk away in one piece.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice ride in. Creaking from the bottom bracket and a little side to side play. After about 1500 miles the Walmart Street Cruiser might need a little work. Can't believe this trusty bike has held up so well. Originally this bike was purchased to be a comfortable neighborhood rider with the wife and kids. Cause I'm usually broke (wife stays home with kids), I had to make this my commuter when I couldn't afford new shocks for my Fisher, thus making the Haro the go to mountain bike instead of the planned commuter. Anyway, not a bad little bike, all and all.

Ride home was warm. Last week's mild reprieve is waning. Kind of chilly in the morning though.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    It was 110F outside today, but I needed to pay my Verizon cellphone bill. GF's car was in shop, so I had to commute 6 miles to my local Best Buy. I was done and back home, within 35 minutes....FASTEST commute run yet!

Yes, I could have payed for it online...but when you have a hybrid/commuter like mine - you tend to FIND excuses to ride it:

2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra~
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"