Page 431 of 439 FirstFirst ... 331381421427428429430431432433434435 ... LastLast
Results 21,501 to 21,550 of 21924
    mtbr member

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I've given myself a new rule on the commutes, 34F and colder I'm going to drive, it doesn't happen often here. I always feel like I'm catching a cold after riding in that weather and I can't miss any work because short staffed.

Is that a Scotsman living in Norway using Spanglish slang? haha

'17 Giant Trance 2, my first fs bike, I can't believe I waited this long....
    34F! Really?

LOL

Nice bike! Welcome to the world of full squish. I'm on my third. (actually I still own them all)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    34F! Really?

LOL

Nice bike! Welcome to the world of full squish. I'm on my third. (actually I still own them all)
    Haha yep we're wussies here, our bodies are more acclimated to the 118 summer Temps than the cold!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

CB of the East
    ^^Adapting to the cold is a funny thing. Just one month ago 34F felt friggin freezin. Now 34F is a warm day. It was 38F today and I still had my bar mits on from when it was -7F last week. My hands were getting mighty sweaty!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Doing alright here. Crazy weather we have had. Yesterday hit 55F and rain, then this morning the temp had dropped 27 and was still dropping. Light snow possibly today. If there is no accumulation, and it appears that the roads have completely dried up, I will be getting the fixed gear out and riding that tomorrow. Thursday is calling for snow mixed with rain so I will probably pass, and Friday looks alright. My goal won't be met this year which I am OK with. I slacked a lot and chose to drive on some days where I could have ridden.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 644.5/5000

CB of the East
    ^^Sounds like our weather but a day earlier. Yesterday AM was 2F. This AM was 38F and it has warmed to 50F now! Thursday they are calling for a foot of snow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Got my first puncture in my Schwalbe Marathons...
    while it's 34F and raining

In their defense, it was an impressive piece of glass and it mounted back up fairly easily considering I couldn't feel my hands.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Yesterday was great. Took the fixed gear out finally and it felt kind of strange. Been a bit since I was on that bike. Only incident I had was with a car full of high college/high school students who passed me and the passenger screamed out for me to get on the sidewalk. Was hard to hear him over the smell of weed pouring out of the car. I politely told him to f off in a low voice while I waved.

Moderator Moderator
    A fine ride in, it was not snowing yet, and figured I could take the bus bailout to my car at the parknpedal if it got too greasy. Got out and changed by 5:40, a sketchy ride 1 mile downhill to the bus stop, then wait... If the 6pm bus was not there till 6:40, why didn't I catch the 5:30 at 6??? Anyhow, then had to clear off the car (8" or so) and get the remaining 4 miles uphill, got home at 7:30. So 2 hours for 8 miles, not so hot, but home safe.

Yesterday I had a state plow buzz me when they could have passed safely in the empty center lane. It wasn't plowing at the time but those wing plows still go by at head level. I retold on VTRANs facebook with specific time/place and got an apology and promise to inform the district supers of the problem and need for training/caution. About as much as can be hoped for I guess.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Friday will round out the year for me as far as commutes go. Hoping that it is just flurries and the temps hold up. There is already a group ride planned for the 1st as it is forecasted to be sunny and in the mid 30's which sounds miserable, unless you live in Michigan and it is January.

CB of the East
    I guess my commuting year is rounded out already. We got over 2 feet of snow overnight so I'm in the truck. There will be plenty of snow out there for them to groom the trails now but they'll probably still be too soft tomorrow so my 2017 (edit) 2016 biking is likely complete.

Happy New Year All!
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 12-30-2016 at 09:00 AM.

NDD
    Baby boy
    so my 2017 biking is likely complete.

Happy New Year All!
    Wow you're taking a whole year off of biking? That's unpresidented!

i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

CB of the East
    Details, details.

Training for the Darwin's
    Finished on a relatively warm day (25F going in and 44F on the way home). Next ride is a club ride on New Year's Day.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    2317 commuter miles for the year for me, plus about a hundred on the Ghost mtb before I got this bike & computer mid-January so let's say 2417 . Want to go for more next year, will extend my rides home more often and take some sidetrips on the way home for things here and there. Happy New Year folks!

2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    Windy, cold, and I was a little overconfident in how warm I would get by the time I got to work. Not sure it broke 30F today but like a crazy man, I wore a jersey and thermal sleeves. Ride home had the wind at my back for most of the trip. Lots of traffic which always has me on edge. Fell way short of my goal but am overall pretty happy with my total.

Sunday it starts all over again.

mtbr member
    So Industrial.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Moderator Moderator
    I'm at 1825 commuter miles on the computer for 2016. Gonna call it 2000 though as I couldn't bear to put a computer on the BMX, which I rode once a week throughout good weather.

Thanks for the reminder to reset the history in it for 2017, it will start 2017 off right. Yours may be smarter, but mine only does a Total, or history by day or week, not year.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I keep track on my Garmin but also keep a rolling document in my Dropbox that I update every night when I get home. I have all of my bikes listed with individual miles, notable temps like warmest/coldest commute, fastest, etc. I like to see where my mileage for each bike ends up and even though this sweet Garmin can do all of that, I will often forget to change the bike I am riding on there. For 2017 I am going to try to split the data up to keep commute miles completely separate.

Was using Strava earlier on in the year but grew tired of the games it would play with me by not logging commutes correctly and often times not even registering that I was riding. Walked away from that app and probably will never look back.

My miles are very lopsided with 3246 being on the fixed gear and the rest a mix of my other bikes.

mtbr member
    Its 2017 minus 3 hrs here. Happy and healthy new (commute) year!!

And stay safe out there!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Happy New Year fellow commuters. Monday looks like a wash for me, with rain and snow in the forecast turning into possible thunderstorms and low 30's. I did that once, back in '16. Never again. Made up for it today by getting out for a nice ride with some of the Friday night people that I ride with. It was 41F and not a cloud in the sky, just that beautiful sun. It felt so good beating down on me!!!

I will be tracking my mileage much closer this year, hence the .1 in my sig. I would either round up or down depending on where the daily miles ended up. Figured it would all even out. Will be interesting to see how that affects my record keeping.

We're tracking on freezing rain for Monday too. I don't work Monday so It's not a miss unless it hangs around until Tuesday. Did manage a club breakfast ride with some 16 miles total in 25F temps. Pretty balmy for a Jan 1 ride.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Back to minus 20C....

working in the field for the week so no rides.

mtbr member
    First commute of '17 was great. I picked a new long way home route that's still all mup, so I'm going to try and take that at least 2 times a week. The last section before home is called "soccer mom slalom"
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Happy New Year all! Good to see everyone keen to get going for 2017.

I finished 2016 on 3357 based on a target of 3000. The last couple of weeks to work were a bust. That and the longer commute for the full year ahead made me decide to aim for 4000 this year.

First time on a bike in two weeks today, the morning was cold. Quite a haw frost, not sure on actual temp, wind in my face with a big chill to it, wore a buff over my face for the first time this winter.
    2017 - 615/4000 commute miles

mtbr member
    56F this morning and rainy. It was misty when I rode in, but the road was super wet. I was quickly reminded that I need to get my bike with fenders out. It's been on the trainer since last year. I just bought a new mtb a couple weeks ago, which means my old mtb will probably get relegated to the basement. I'm definitely looking forward to colder temps. It's been too warm here to get more than one trail ride in. Lows will be in the teens this weekend.

Moderator Moderator
    Squeaked out the bikecommute without the forecast 1/3" of freezing rain, yay! It was wet and just above freezing, but not icy. I was more concerned about the drive up my hill with AWD than I was about pedaling with the Ice Spikers. A pic from tonight:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tough day only because I underdressed for the wind chill. 25-30 mile-per-hour winds in the face on a 15F day. Yuk.

mtbr member
    That's a pretty awesome rear light you have there MTBEx, what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Tough day only because I underdressed for the wind chill. 25-30 mile-per-hour winds in the face on a 15F day. Yuk.
    Tough day indeed! Well done!

Mine was about 5C/40F with maybe a 15mph headwind and light rain. Seems the cleaning etc I did over the break is now undone by the wet muddy roads.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Squeaked out the bikecommute without the forecast 1/3" of freezing rain, yay! It was wet and just above freezing, but not icy. I was more concerned about the drive up my hill with AWD than I was about pedaling with the Ice Spikers. A pic from tonight:
    Yeah, studded bike tires work better than cars on ice. Based on that it would have been a good day to ride but I've been sick enough that bike commuting seems like too much of an effort. I'm still up to zero miles this year. I better get well if I want to approach last years efforts: The Candid Cyclist: Year End Review 2016 (I was too sick to come up with much of a year end review too)

Maybe tomorrow I'll ride my bike.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    That's a pretty awesome rear light you have there MTBEx, what is it?
    That's a Dinotte, as is the yellow front blinkie. Pricey but super bright and super reliable. A NH company, and I know they back up what they sell. Red Taillights & Amber Headlights – DiNotte Lighting USA Online Store

Moderator Moderator
    Good rides today.

New hazard observed this morning: Just riding along and suddenly a hubcap was rolling at high speed across the lanes, over a snowbank, curb, and sidewalk, before disappearing from view. The van ahead of me pulled into a tire shop, and sure enough I saw it was missing a hubcap. Yelled but he didn't hear. Called the shop from work and asked them to tell the driver where to hunt for it. They said they would.

On the way home, just the reassuring hum of studs on ice. And 2 slices of pizza.

NDD
    Baby boy
    I haven't had much reason to commute lately. I've been working from home, but starting tomorrow I have meetings at uni but won't be even going up there every day. I'll be writing my thesis this semester and would much prefer working from home where possible.

Tomorrow I'm riding though and we're supposed to be getting snow. I' looking forward to it.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Look out for hub caps and ufo's y'all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    That's a Dinotte, as is the yellow front blinkie. Pricey but super bright and super reliable. A NH company, and I know they back up what they sell. Red Taillights & Amber Headlights – DiNotte Lighting USA Online Store
    Thanks for the link. Look great but beyond my budget tbh. I didn't clock the amber front, what's the thinking on that one? Most lights seem to be bright white these days.

Ride home yesterday was uneventful but cold. Didn't eat enough during the day (must mark that one on the calendar!) so struggled a bit towards the end.

This morning was about 2C, bright and damp. I cut across a supermarket car park to avoid some lights on my route. Said car park was a skating rink this morning, really unexpected, just looked wet like everywhere else. It was that unexpected that when the front end felt wrong I assumed it was a problem with the bike rather than ice. My first slide along the asphalt in years. A woman exiting her car shouted to ask if I was alright, when I responded positively she said she was glad as she really didn't want to walk over as the whole place was treacherous. She was right too. Slowly walked it to the road and rode on, feeling ok after my off.

About a mile and a half further I was off again, saw it coming this time, although too late to stop it, down on the same side. Picked myself up and walked a bit then rode on. The country lane was ok for the most part but the last mile or so to work was lethal. I bottled it and walked the grass verge. Getting to the verge my legs and bike all wanted to go separate ways. Even the cars were crawling past on this bit. Got to work 20 mins later than usual. My normal 40 minute commute took 60 minutes.

The worst part of the whole thing, my new Ortliebs have road rash

Hope it clears before hometime!
    Last edited by SlipSpace; 01-05-2017 at 06:01 AM.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Slip - glad you are alright after that ride home - and yeah, I agree with you on the lights. I never knew they were that expensive. Not sure I would get those just based on the price.

mtbr member
    Thanks Ten, couple of sore spots but otherwise ok.

Ride back was tentative to say the least. Dark, it had been warm enough to melt the ice during the day (just) but was just at that turning point. Is the sparkle wet or ice? Got home with no drama fortunately. Bike feels weird but nothing seems untoward, i'll have a better look at the weekend.

Conditions today were similar to yesterday so I used the car.

mtbr member
    I've gotten cut off twice this week, once by an older man who was trying to turn left into me and once this morning by someone who squeezed out a right on red directly in front of me like I wasn't there and the bright lights flashing around him were just a random occurrence. Both had the same stiff neck, refusing to acknowledge the guy on a bike yelling at them. I try to be gracious to people who honestly make a mistake, but it was clear by the way these guys drove that they were just not wanting to stop for me. Pretty frustrating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I try to be gracious to people who honestly make a mistake, but it was clear by the way these guys drove that they were just not wanting to stop for me. Pretty frustrating.
    Some do not see us because they are not looking for cyclists. They filter us out. Bright flashing lights do cut through some of that, but not for everyone. Startling them with a shouting angry cyclist may help them see the error of their ways. Some who drive less than 3,000 miles a year as just so out of practice that they can't help but screw it up. Motorcyclists get this kind of unsafe driving response too. The realization that they did not see you because they were not looking for you doesn't make it any better, but helps to realize they are not all psychopaths.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Some do not see us because they are not looking for cyclists. They filter us out. Bright flashing lights do cut through some of that, but not for everyone. Startling them with a shouting angry cyclist may help them see the error of their ways. Some who drive less than 3,000 miles a year as just so out of practice that they can't help but screw it up. Motorcyclists get this kind of unsafe driving response too. The realization that they did not see you because they were not looking for you doesn't make it any better, but helps to realize they are not all psychopaths.
    I get that, but people who angle the corner unnaturally or speed up and roll through a red light are typically people who aren't completely innocent. Also, people who didn't see you tend to react when a person shouts at them, or at least react in some fashion other than tensing up and pretending not to notice the person in their rear view mirror. Plus, if you don't stop at a stop sign or red light and don't look before turning, your driving habits deserve to be questioned and you probably deserve to get yelled at by a guy trying to make it work or back home in one piece.

CB of the East
    Back on the bike yesterday and today after some weather and sick related days off. Blah. The trails are riding really well now, so that's good. Here is a picture of my wife commuting into work behind me. Snowmobile trails the whole way. (Ride in in the dark, ride home in the dark, winter is here.)
    How was your commute today?-20170106_063321.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I get that, but people who angle the corner unnaturally or speed up and roll through a red light are typically people who aren't completely innocent. Also, people who didn't see you tend to react when a person shouts at them, or at least react in some fashion other than tensing up and pretending not to notice the person in their rear view mirror. Plus, if you don't stop at a stop sign or red light and don't look before turning, your driving habits deserve to be questioned and you probably deserve to get yelled at by a guy trying to make it work or back home in one piece.
    Yes, well those idiots piss me off when driving in the car and on the bike I yell a lot at them, too. They are an "accident" waiting to happen.

mtbr member
    Well today was really quite mild, 6C/43F, not raining but wet, moderate feeling head/cross wind. I was a bit overdressed for it tbh. I think I really lost a lot of allround fitness over december, biking, running and body type stuff. Time to get that back on track.

CB of the East

Supah Cold This Morning.

This fatbike seems to suffer from cold related slowness more than any other bike I've owned. I literally stopped and spun the wheels to see if they still spun 3 times this ride because it seemed like they wheels were barely turning. They don't spin as long but it hardly seems like they should be offering as much drag as they are.

I may investigate pulling the "sealed" bearings apart and putting in some low temp grease.

Opinions?

How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Around 17F this morning, lingering snow and ice from the weekend on non-studded 700x35s. Surprisingly not much trouble getting in, took my time, walked through one snow drift.

Found my limit for Bar Mitts, honestly I think my mittens are warmer than Bar Mitts with gloves.

mtbr member
    First commute of the new year for me today. And it was... fun.

-5F (-20.5C - so much colder in C...) at the house and between 3 and -3F in town. Legs were sore from a cold ride on Saturday and a hilly run yesterday, but the trails in town were in awesome shape, so I can't complain.

Good to be back at it after a bit of a break.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Been working in the field so no commutes very cold...

First commute -23C 3 inches new snow on top of hardpack...

6.5 km of slippery car snot. 1,25 km of plowed.

mtbr member
    This fatbike seems to suffer from cold related slowness more than any other bike I've owned. I literally stopped and spun the wheels to see if they still spun 3 times this ride because it seemed like they wheels were barely turning. They don't spin as long but it hardly seems like they should be offering as much drag as they are.

I may investigate pulling the "sealed" bearings apart and putting in some low temp grease.

Opinions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	1114699
    I've experienced the same thing and, while the lube does make a difference, I think it is more to do with the snow itself. As the snow gets colder it seems to almost become velcro - the big wheels just stick and stick and stick to it. Awesome for railing single-track corners, but not so much for other riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Opinions?
    Cold as many effects has you suggest the sealed bearings are not a big one.

First the tire must flex a little when rolling when it is cold this sucks up a lot more energy.

Second the air is heavier so any speed starts to suck energy

Third the extra clothes cause a lot more friction and sucks energy.

Fourth you wont tend to push as hard because the snot flows and the throat can feel it in the cold.

On the other had suspension freezes up so does not suck energy but that just increases tire flex that does.

I could go on but you get the picture.

I would leave the bearings alone, or pack with grease, or phil's tenacious oil, more to protect form corrosion than to reduce friction.

CB of the East
    Thanks for the replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    I've experienced the same thing and, while the lube does make a difference, I think it is more to do with the snow itself. As the snow gets colder it seems to almost become velcro - the big wheels just stick and stick and stick to it. Awesome for railing single-track corners, but not so much for other riding.
    I was thinking that until I hit a short section of road and it still felt like riding through peanut butter.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Cold as many effects has you suggest the sealed bearings are not a big one.
    I don't know, that is the only thing I can't rationalize.

First the tire must flex a little when rolling when it is cold this sucks up a lot more energy.
    Could be some tire flex but I went with relatively high pressure knowing they would loose a lot in the cold. But you're right, the tires are probably one of the biggest variables.

Second the air is heavier so any speed starts to suck energy
    I was not able to attain any speed. Grinding away on a flat where I would usually go 10 I was going 6.

Third the extra clothes cause a lot more friction and sucks energy.
    Same wardrobe as +15F.

Fourth you wont tend to push as hard because the snot flows and the throat can feel it in the cold.
    Possibly. It's my legs that feel it the most.

On the other had suspension freezes up so does not suck energy but that just increases tire flex that does.
    Ridged.

I could go on but you get the picture.
    Yup, probably a combination of all. But, it seems to get exponentially worse below about 5F. I'd swear it took twice as much effort to ride the same distance today as it did last week at 15F

I would leave the bearings alone, or pack with grease, or phil's tenacious oil, more to protect form corrosion than to reduce friction.
    I'm sure they have grease in them, the rears have less that 50 miles on them. If I do repack them I was going to use Finish Line Extreme Flouro Teflon grease.

Then again, it is supposed to be 40F in 2 days and I'll forget all about it until it gets cold again. Repeat as necessary.