Page 429 of 620 FirstFirst ... 329 379 419 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 439 479 529 ... LastLast
Results 10,701 to 10,725 of 15490
    Moderator Moderator
    I did something today I have not done in about 15 years. I rode my bike without my helmet. I got to my park-n-ride (by car) and realized it was back at home. I survived!

I think the bottom feeders might have less mercury than the top predators like shark, since it bioaccumulates up the food chain.

mtbr member
    Things have finally dried up and warmed up around here.

I've been riding my 1x9 a fair bit recently, and this morning I had the derailleur seize up. One of the pulley bushings was full of crud and wouldn't spin, so it was an easy fix, but it always amazes me how those things happen. I took that bike for two three hour rides over the weekend with no problems, when I started out this morning it was fine, but then 10 minutes in the shifting gets flaky, and a little while later a clickety-clacking tells me it is time to stop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I've been riding my 1x9 a fair bit recently, and this morning I had the derailleur seize up. One of the pulley bushings was full of crud and wouldn't spin, so it was an easy fix, but it always amazes me how those things happen. I took that bike for two three hour rides over the weekend with no problems, when I started out this morning it was fine, but then 10 minutes in the shifting gets flaky, and a little while later a clickety-clacking tells me it is time to stop.
    I had some string from one of those sewn bags (likely floating in the breeze above the pull tape on the road) wrap itself into an idler. Quick but greasy fix.

mtbr member
    Thanks Brian. There was a fair bit of black thread in there that I'd suspected was the culprit, even though I had no idea where it came from.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I must be feeling very sociable this summer. Just got to meet and ride with Xplorer and Bedwards, now I have a trip booked to Seattle and will hopefully get to to the same with Mr and Mrs Woodway.
    Hoping the timing works out so I can show rodar one of my favorite rides!

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Thanks Brian. There was a fair bit of black thread in there that I'd suspected was the culprit, even though I had no idea where it came from.
    I had something similar happen to me last year. Except that black thread was inconveniently woven into the shape of a sock that got sucked up into my derailleur and ripped it off my bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Commuted home with some tadpoles today but not nearly as exciting as the carp. Just put them in a little bottle, screwed on the lid, and off I went. A few years ago my oldest boy got this little frog habitat, where you could send off for a free tadpole as long as you paid the eight dollars shipping. Well, that didn't happen. In addition to the eight dollars being pricey for one tadpole, worried it'd arrive dead. Have kept my eyes peeled at fish shops over the last few years for tadpoles. Nothing. Doing some work in a wash today I found a few. Kids were happy to get more critters. Once they turn into frogs I will release them back into the wash.

Gorgeous morning commute and same-old, same-old commute home. Even with cool down in August (average high about 105, I believe), I am just flat tired of the heat. And with fires messing with my camping trip schedule this year, even worse. . .no cool down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It was wet which was unusual for me, but the rain didn't slow me down, in fact today was my fastest ride to or from work so far!

mtbr member
    Wet morning in the northland. We need the rain so I'm not going to complain at all. Looks like it'll be raining the rest of the day, which is also fine by me.

I learned a good lesson yesterday about the bus portion of my commute - don't even bother trying to get on the 4:10 bus unless I can get on at the first stop. I was going to hit it up at the second stop to try and get home a bit earlier in the day. However, the 4:10 bus was packed and, as there is a new driver, he's not realized it is more efficient to have our wheel-chair bound passenger ride on the passenger side rather than the driver's side (removing 4 seats rather than 5). I could have gotten on the 4:10 but didn't want to pack my bike into an already crowded bus.

mtbr member
    Today was day 3 in a row, which is rare for me. I'm trying to step up my commuting. Since my wife and I bought a house and rescued a dog, I have far less time to ride recreationally. I need to get the dog trained to mountain bike with me!

Moderator Moderator
    I donít know what gets into drivers. At one light there are 2 lanes for westbound traffic: a right turn only lane and a straightaway lane. I maneuvered from the right side of the road to the white line between the 2 lanes, so that cars turning right could proceed unimpeded. There were 2 cars at the light in the straight only lane (which had just turned green, so I was accelerating), and nobody in the right turn lane,. But did the right turning van take my invitation and go in the right turn lane like he normally would? No, he has to zoom by me then cut in front of me to make the right turn. Not sure why he thought that was better or faster. This kind of driving usually makes me decide to hog the lane, when it really should not be necessary.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    blockphi, do you just wheel your bike right up and onto the bus? Sounds like a PITA. I poked around your blog and didn't find the answer. I did find "I am Collosus", interesting mix of dubstep and deathmetal (or whatever you kids call it these days) I like the former but not the latter.

Wow, I forgot how much riding the fatbike for the 24 (plus little singletrack) mile commute wears me out. That sucker is heavy compared to the road bikes. That was yesterday.

Today I'm planning an extended ride around Sebago Lake for the trip home.

MTXB, don't try to understand cars. You'll hurt yourself. I like it when traffic it backed up and once it starts to move all the cars will race at 40MPH until they stop again and I ride by at my constant pace. Repeat 4-5 times over a 5 mile stretch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    MTXB, don't try to understand cars. You'll hurt yourself. I like it when traffic it backed up and once it starts to move all the cars will race at 40MPH until they stop again and I ride by at my constant pace. Repeat 4-5 times over a 5 mile stretch.
    Cars aren't hard to understand. Its their drivers that can make one crazy.

We have lights that if you drive the stretch much, you know they will change soon and you can save a bit of fuel coasting up so that you can roll out with the stopped traffic on the green light. Sort of blending into the flow. A few drivers following me over the years pick up on the fact that we kept rolling and were just as fast as screaming up to a stop. It may take them three or four lights in a row, but they get it and stop following too close. Some don't get it at all and either tail gate me or scream by and cut me off to get in front. Their bad pass saves me being rear ended. I am not sure how much gas I save, but we get great mileage out of the front discs. I've wondered what percent of the slow on the uptake and heavy on the throttle drivers bend their rides before they see a fraction of that many miles. You can't do the smooth driving thing if you are busy texting, either.

Moderator Moderator

I have some of that cat-n-mouse on rte 302 here and I find it quite entertaining to roll up beside the same vehicle over and over!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice ride in. Dark enough now where I'm actually using my headlight to see the road in certain spots instead of as a flasher for the entire ride to work like I've done since early summer. Getting darker in the morning everyday now. Darker and cooler.

Ride home today was pretty nice as well, except for the headwind. Haven't looked at the weather report yet, but I bet it didn't break one hundred today.

All this means is that pretty soon I'll be complaining about how cold it is, even though the two coldest mornings in Vegas last winter occurred in January and were only 23F and 25F. Winter commuting in Vegas is pretty good indeed.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I have some of that cat-n-mouse on rte 302 here and I find it quite entertaining to roll up beside the same vehicle over and over!
    It must be a RT-302 thing. That's where I get it too.

I had a great ride around the lake last night. After a stop for a visit I had my first after dark ride of the year. It was nice as a novelty but I'm not ready to do it full time. The forum is being persnickety about uploading pictures so I'll have to link to it: Sunset Ride

local trails rider
    It rained yesterday afternoon, when I was riding home. It was quite OK, once I no longer needed to worry about GETTING wet.

A strange thing happened during the rain: after about 15 minutes, my eyes started stinging. I had to stop about a dozen times during the last 2 or 3 kilometers because I couldn't keep my eyes open! After a couple of stops I tasted salt on my upper lip....

What must have happened is: during a few months of use (it is my "easy streets riding" helmet) the helmet had accumulated same salt (read: dried sweat); the rain got inside the helmet and soaked the salt out of the helmet padding.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

weirdo
    Double shot of animal weirdness yesterday for me. On my way to work I pass through a totally undeveloped area for about a half mile- nothing but the road with scrubby desert bushes on either side. The road going through drops into a long, shallow gully, then gradually climbs out again before it disappears around a curve way up in the distance. Yesterday afternoon I could see something out towards the middle of that stretch that first looked like a white grocery bag in the middle of the lane. But when an approaching car came up on it, the bag moved over into my lane. A few hundred feet out I thought "Man, if not for being out so far from any houses, I would say that looked like a chicken". A hundred feet out: "I`ll be danged- it IS a chicken!") 30 feet out, it wandered/scurried/breakdanced off the side and hid (badly) in a bush, watching me go by. I`m rooting for the silly gal to somehow get to saftey, but my money is on Wile E.

Comming home last night, two blocks out of work in a residential neighborhood, I met my old pal Mr Fluffy White Cat. I often see FWC wandering around in that area in the middle of the night, but we`d never had any interactions before. Last night, I guess he was hanging out under a parked car, and when I rode past that car, he shot out in the same direction of travel as I was headed. Not like he was running from me or even trying to chase me, but pretty much even with me, about ten feet over. He paced me like that for about 5 to 10 seconds (seemed like a long time), then peeled off and rounded the corner onto the next side street at full speed. Funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    There were 2 cars at the light in the straight only lane (which had just turned green, so I was accelerating), and nobody in the right turn lane,. But did the right turning van take my invitation and go in the right turn lane like he normally would? No, he has to zoom by me then cut in front of me to make the right turn.
    (Insert "shakes head in wonder" emoticon here. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    A few drivers following me over the years pick up on the fact that we kept rolling and were just as fast as screaming up to a stop.
    They`ve figured it out? Now, THAT is amazing

Phew! From what you wrote previously, I thought you were going to loop your lake on the fatty. Not ready for lights as a non-novelty? Sorry to hear that. I love riding in the dark of night.

Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    It rained yesterday afternoon, when I was riding home. It was quite OK, once I no longer needed to worry about GETTING wet.
    Funny how that works. For all the comments about how dry my area is, I have actually had that happen. Don`t think it`s ever been on a bike ride, though. Hope your helmet got a good rinsing so your eyes won`t have to deal with the salt bath next time.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. Broke my pannier bag, so bungies came in handy. Full details at me blog, mates. Apart from that, nothing too eventful. Got a bit wet as the rain started pouring down just as I arrived at the office. Thank goodness it's my Friday today. I am ready for the weekend!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    A lil write-up on me went live today: I Bike Anchorage ? Jordan Blackson: Year-round fat-bike commuter by Tim Woody

Disliking the lack of light in the early mornings and late nights. If its gonna be dark, LET IT SNOW! ;p

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice! Great tip for beginners too!

Moderator Moderator
    Rodar, the chicken and the fluffy white cat were clearly attracted by your animal magnetism.

Bedwards, nice Sebago pic on the blog, was the whole lake that calm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Another animal catching day in the washes. Caught five turtles (four softshell and one slider) today. The natural dirt wash is going to be converted to concrete in the next six months to a year. So turtles needed to go or be killed once construction starts. These turtles were caught with an excavator. Just scooped up by the bucket. Brought them home to the kids and put them in our little pond/water garden. Did not take them home on bike, however.

Excellent ride in this morning and pretty nice ride home. Little cool down keeping it about 100F for ride home. Headwinds sucked, but seems like I get some sort of wind everyday now.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

I had an odd animal encounter yesterday too. I was riding the rail trail to Gorham fairly early (early enough for no ATVs to be out scaring off the wildlife). It was a ways up, but was either the smallest bear cub I've ever seen, or the largest cat I've ever seen. I stopped about 25 yards from it, and it scampered back the way it came. Only thing for sure is it had a stubby tail. I hauled tookus right by after that, just in case it was a baby bear...with a mama near by.

Ride Everything
    Almost ran into/over this guy on the way home:

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Two Wheeled Terror
    With our collective animal findings we could open up a zoo!! Been too busy fir commuting since I'm at work from 0300 to when it gets done.

I have been using this thread as encouragement and entertainment when I get the chance. I've been using the cool weather for engine swapping and painting of my older than dirt yota pickup. Its my project but I am sure thankful when I'm just working on my bike....much lighter and usually cleaner too lol. I should be back to riding Monday!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4