Page 429 of 429 FirstFirst ... 329379419425426427428429
Results 21,401 to 21,413 of 21413
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Too cold for this old man today (10F with a -2 Windchill). Still sorting out how to protect my nose without fogging my goggles.

Check out snowmobile googles with the nose shield

DRAGON MDX POLARIZED SNOW GOGGLE

It works way all the way to -40.

I wear a open face balaclava with a nose protector googles...I can easy do more than 1 hour at -35C.... no frost...no frostbite. This is a picture of me at -30C (have forgotten the temp but it was very cold)...after a 40 min commute. pretty good wind as well.

I tried all sorts of jury rigs to put on other googles put the store bought is well worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-darth.jpg  

How was your commute today?-dcam0026.jpg  

mtbr member
    Ive been looking at that kind of googles a long time already. I only find ones with coloured glasses and I think they are no good in the dark?

For me normal sports glasses (swisseye f16) work ok as long as I ride. When I have to stop I have to take them off otherwise they fog up and once they do, it is hard to get them clear again.

CB of the East
    ^^These don't provide the coverage or full protection that the snowmobile ones do but they are very fog free to -20C or so. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Ive been looking at that kind of googles a long time already. I only find ones with coloured glasses and I think they are no good in the dark?
    Yellow is not too bad at night....

They have special night skiing lenses.

I put googles on somewhere below 15 C

No one calls me Maurice.
    I'll have to revisit that balaclava. I own one but I think I need to open up the nose a little and maybe the breathing ports. It's always been a little hit and miss with the goggles, but that could be a fit adjustment thing. After 33 winters of commuting, I've learned that my limits are what they are. At 54, I still feel pretty lucky to be able to ride the 38 mile loop at all, regardless of temp.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How was your commute today?-novara-mazama-31250_9.jpg

Had to stop and get a photo with this guy on my commute home this afternoon. Mid 60's here in SoCal and feelin great

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Check out snowmobile googles with the nose shield

DRAGON MDX POLARIZED SNOW GOGGLE

It works way all the way to -40.

I wear a open face balaclava with a nose protector googles...I can easy do more than 1 hour at -35C.... no frost...no frostbite. This is a picture of me at -30C (have forgotten the temp but it was very cold)...after a 40 min commute. pretty good wind as well.

I tried all sorts of jury rigs to put on other googles put the store bought is well worth it.
    Link says they're sold out. I'll look around though, that looks like the ticket.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Coldest commute in a while tonight at just a hair under 20 F. Hey it was windy! Warm enough to keep riding. Tomorrow morning the commute is supposed to be around 17 F so -8 C.

We did an exercise in my biology labs where we had to go outside this morning. It was about 25 F and there was a bit of a wind but they also had been warned. Some students were griping and I said "please, I rode my bike 11.5 miles to get here this morning, so it's not too cold if you're prepared". In other news I've taken on the role of resident grumpus in the biology department here. It's a shame this will be my last semester ever at this school in the spring.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    The amber lenses on my goggles are not bad at all at night and actually reduce some of the headlight glare. Opted for Oakley since they are supposed to be one of the best? Those will be making an appearance soon as the nighttime lows are supposed to be getting into the single digits towards the end of the month. Hoping to ride Friday to work just because I am feeling it.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 4035/6000

CB of the East
    Sweet dinosaur!

Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I'll have to revisit that balaclava. I own one but I think I need to open up the nose a little and maybe the breathing ports...
    I've got some cheaper balaclavas that are guaranteed to fog glasses because the breathing holes are too small. I took some scissors to them and they are better.

I did the dismount and walk around a school bus technique this morning. The bus had just stopped and the kids were SLOWLY getting out of their warm cars that had shuttled them 1/8 mile down to the bus stop. (insert when I was a kid story here) It looked like the boarding process was going to take a minute so I hopped off, walked by the kids and the bus and hopped back on ahead of it. Didn't see the bus again until the school 2 miles away.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Not a big fan of driving kids to the bus stop. We live in the country and my son (from kindergarten until football started in the 9th grade) walked to the curb (1000 ft) and waited either outside or in the hut we build for rainy days and days when the wind-chill was dangerous. I think parents take too much struggle away from their children, to their detriment.

mtbr member
    Ooo when I was a kid bus stories! Nah I won't bore you with them haha.

Wussed out 2 days this week commuting because cold. Relative cold for me anyway not you guys. Supposed to get super cold next week right? Polar vortex thing again?? Going to dig out some warmer clothes to get ready!
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    Today was pretty cold but still nice. Headwind from the west proceeded to kick my ass the entire way in. Icy in some spots but manageable. Getting out of my complex is often the struggle with 2 good ways and 1 non ideal way. This often limits my commute unfortunately. Took the CX bike and it feels really good. Dropped an 80mm stem on there from the 90 it came with and it feels great!! BB is not creaking so I dunno what the hell is going on. Ride home was really nice even though it was 22F and felt like 12F with the wind chill. Storm is coming Saturday night into Sunday and then some more on Sunday night. Forecast is for several inches of snow but it's still unknown if it will get us like they are saying. I hope not.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 4035/6000