Page 429 of 439 FirstFirst ... 329379419425426427428429430431432433 ... LastLast
Results 21,401 to 21,450 of 21913
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Too cold for this old man today (10F with a -2 Windchill). Still sorting out how to protect my nose without fogging my goggles.

Check out snowmobile googles with the nose shield

DRAGON MDX POLARIZED SNOW GOGGLE

It works way all the way to -40.

I wear a open face balaclava with a nose protector googles...I can easy do more than 1 hour at -35C.... no frost...no frostbite. This is a picture of me at -30C (have forgotten the temp but it was very cold)...after a 40 min commute. pretty good wind as well.

I tried all sorts of jury rigs to put on other googles put the store bought is well worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-darth.jpg  

How was your commute today?-dcam0026.jpg  

mtbr member
    Ive been looking at that kind of googles a long time already. I only find ones with coloured glasses and I think they are no good in the dark?

For me normal sports glasses (swisseye f16) work ok as long as I ride. When I have to stop I have to take them off otherwise they fog up and once they do, it is hard to get them clear again.

CB of the East
    ^^These don't provide the coverage or full protection that the snowmobile ones do but they are very fog free to -20C or so. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Ive been looking at that kind of googles a long time already. I only find ones with coloured glasses and I think they are no good in the dark?
    Yellow is not too bad at night....

They have special night skiing lenses.

I put googles on somewhere below 15 C

Training for the Darwin's
    I'll have to revisit that balaclava. I own one but I think I need to open up the nose a little and maybe the breathing ports. It's always been a little hit and miss with the goggles, but that could be a fit adjustment thing. After 33 winters of commuting, I've learned that my limits are what they are. At 54, I still feel pretty lucky to be able to ride the 38 mile loop at all, regardless of temp.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How was your commute today?-novara-mazama-31250_9.jpg

Had to stop and get a photo with this guy on my commute home this afternoon. Mid 60's here in SoCal and feelin great

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Check out snowmobile googles with the nose shield

DRAGON MDX POLARIZED SNOW GOGGLE

It works way all the way to -40.

I wear a open face balaclava with a nose protector googles...I can easy do more than 1 hour at -35C.... no frost...no frostbite. This is a picture of me at -30C (have forgotten the temp but it was very cold)...after a 40 min commute. pretty good wind as well.

I tried all sorts of jury rigs to put on other googles put the store bought is well worth it.
    Link says they're sold out. I'll look around though, that looks like the ticket.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Coldest commute in a while tonight at just a hair under 20 F. Hey it was windy! Warm enough to keep riding. Tomorrow morning the commute is supposed to be around 17 F so -8 C.

We did an exercise in my biology labs where we had to go outside this morning. It was about 25 F and there was a bit of a wind but they also had been warned. Some students were griping and I said "please, I rode my bike 11.5 miles to get here this morning, so it's not too cold if you're prepared". In other news I've taken on the role of resident grumpus in the biology department here. It's a shame this will be my last semester ever at this school in the spring.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    The amber lenses on my goggles are not bad at all at night and actually reduce some of the headlight glare. Opted for Oakley since they are supposed to be one of the best? Those will be making an appearance soon as the nighttime lows are supposed to be getting into the single digits towards the end of the month. Hoping to ride Friday to work just because I am feeling it.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 565.1/5000

CB of the East
    Sweet dinosaur!

I'll have to revisit that balaclava. I own one but I think I need to open up the nose a little and maybe the breathing ports...
    I've got some cheaper balaclavas that are guaranteed to fog glasses because the breathing holes are too small. I took some scissors to them and they are better.

I did the dismount and walk around a school bus technique this morning. The bus had just stopped and the kids were SLOWLY getting out of their warm cars that had shuttled them 1/8 mile down to the bus stop. (insert when I was a kid story here) It looked like the boarding process was going to take a minute so I hopped off, walked by the kids and the bus and hopped back on ahead of it. Didn't see the bus again until the school 2 miles away.

Not a big fan of driving kids to the bus stop. We live in the country and my son (from kindergarten until football started in the 9th grade) walked to the curb (1000 ft) and waited either outside or in the hut we build for rainy days and days when the wind-chill was dangerous. I think parents take too much struggle away from their children, to their detriment.

mtbr member
    Ooo when I was a kid bus stories! Nah I won't bore you with them haha.

Wussed out 2 days this week commuting because cold. Relative cold for me anyway not you guys. Supposed to get super cold next week right? Polar vortex thing again?? Going to dig out some warmer clothes to get ready!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    Today was pretty cold but still nice. Headwind from the west proceeded to kick my ass the entire way in. Icy in some spots but manageable. Getting out of my complex is often the struggle with 2 good ways and 1 non ideal way. This often limits my commute unfortunately. Took the CX bike and it feels really good. Dropped an 80mm stem on there from the 90 it came with and it feels great!! BB is not creaking so I dunno what the hell is going on. Ride home was really nice even though it was 22F and felt like 12F with the wind chill. Storm is coming Saturday night into Sunday and then some more on Sunday night. Forecast is for several inches of snow but it's still unknown if it will get us like they are saying. I hope not.

Moderator Moderator
    A bunch of snow and cold and ice this week. Rides were good, but taking longer, making it tougher to get in the dog walk in the woods after the later and later sunrise and still get out the door on time. Thursday night it was icy, and those Winter Contis did great, though I still avoided the black ice where possible, and was conservative on the downhill. Rode the 8 miles without incident, then leaned the bike against my car, put my stuff in the passenger seat, and wiped out on a little ice river as I walked around the car. My feet went out sideways and my right arm caught the back bumper, which kept me from going all the way down but it is still sore.

I'd rather be on my bike
    New commuter bike day. Pics coming shortly. Eating lunch first then I need to start dialing it in, swapping the saddle/pedals out.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    My feet went out sideways and my right arm caught the back bumper, which kept me from going all the way down but it is still sore.
    I hate falling when you think you're in the clear. I spent about a month off the bike two years ago after falling on ice when I thought I'd cleared the threat.

Should have ridden today, was running chores and picked up a speeding ticket.

NDD
    Baby boy
    A bunch of snow and cold and ice this week. Rides were good, but taking longer, making it tougher to get in the dog walk in the woods after the later and later sunrise and still get out the door on time. Thursday night it was icy, and those Winter Contis did great, though I still avoided the black ice where possible, and was conservative on the downhill. Rode the 8 miles without incident, then leaned the bike against my car, put my stuff in the passenger seat, and wiped out on a little ice river as I walked around the car. My feet went out sideways and my right arm caught the back bumper, which kept me from going all the way down but it is still sore.
    Officially more stable on two wheels than two feet? Becoming one with the bike...

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Yes! Although the metal cleats and not super grippy bike shoes probably didn't help either. My arm feels better already, yay!

NDD
    Baby boy
    ^ There is the slippery shoe problem. Good about feeling better.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Wish me luck everyone. Heading out to deliver and then to work. We got about 8.5" of snow over the weekend. Cleanup has started but I am currently unsure of the conditions leaving my complex. NBD came and no pictures came. Stock photo:

Carbon fork, thru axle front and rear, 26x4.8 fattie tires, hydraulic disc brakes, 1x10 Shimano SLX

CB of the East
    ^^ Nice looking ride. You didn't say if you were riding or driving in the new snow. Even a pretty fatbike isn't a match for 8.5" of snow.
    ^^Yes! Although the metal cleats and not super grippy bike shoes probably didn't help either. My arm feels better already, yay!
    Yup, I've crashed going down wet hardwood stairs in my bike shoes.

We're mid-storm so I'm in my truck. Probably tomorrow too until it gets cleared up.

mtbr member
    Nice bike tenspeed! Are you going to deliver on it too?

Good that your arm is getting better mtbx!

Nothing much to add for today. 5C, dry and little winds on both rides. Cloudy and thus dark despite almost full moon.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Put some miles in today, 25 in all between commutes and delivering, and yeah, I rode that fatty. Mix of hard pack, ice, snow, slush and dry pavement. My clothes, the bike, and my bag are an absolute mess. Salt stains everywhere. Bike is drip drying now and I will clean it up in the am. Roads were mostly plowed which was surprising. The ice was the kicker. So much had frozen over, and by the time I came home tonight it was a rink on most of the back roads. MUP was a mix of dry pavement, icy spots and hard pack. The bike rides really nicely. Unsure of the wide bars, and they will probably get cut down a bit.

mtbr member
    Looks like the Fattie arrived just in time TenSpeed!

Not sure on temps this morning but it was warm enough for shorts and jacket, comfortably so, so at least 7C I would say. Wet though. Not anticipating snow here anytime soon.
    2017 - 615/4000 commute miles

Moderator Moderator
    Quite a workout yesterday in the snow. Road conditions were iffy, but I decided to take it block by block and mile by mile, and bail for the bus if necessary. Some parts were great, where only an inch or so of fresh snow had accumulated on the shoulder since plowing. Other parts where it was brown churn were not so good. I walked about 100 yards to the roundabout, knowing a sidewalk plow had likely been through after that. Yes! Proceeded on that with caution.

Stopped at one point to check on a motorist. He came down a steep sidestreet hill and could not stop, then slid across route 302 (busy road that goes all the way to Bedwards'), somehow without getting hit or hitting someone, and landed in a ditch on the other side. I didn't see it happen, but nobody had stopped to help. One wheel was spinning uselessly about a foot above the snow. He was fine and decided to call a wrecker when I told him the tire was in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Put some miles in today, 25 in all between commutes and delivering, and yeah, I rode that fatty. Mix of hard pack, ice, snow, slush and dry pavement. My clothes, the bike, and my bag are an absolute mess. Salt stains everywhere. Bike is drip drying now and I will clean it up in the am. Roads were mostly plowed which was surprising. The ice was the kicker. So much had frozen over, and by the time I came home tonight it was a rink on most of the back roads. MUP was a mix of dry pavement, icy spots and hard pack. The bike rides really nicely. Unsure of the wide bars, and they will probably get cut down a bit.
    I've done that at some point with almost all my bars. I find the most comfortable position riding, move the grips to confirm, then out comes the pipe cutter. Even my Woodchippers are cut (wasn't using the last 1.5" and I was clipping stuff while riding).

mtbr member
    That's a sexy bike TenSpeed!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    Thank you everyone!! The bar is a stout 740mm wide and that is just too wide for me. I know this is the new fad with a 50/60mm stem and the super wide bars. I prefer to go a bit narrower so that will be happening soon. Bike shop has a vice and a cutter so at some point, I will be in there cutting. Today the car is going to see some duty. Temps are about 40 colder this week than last year. Wind chill later will be just under 0F. I will be riding tomorrow and delivering for my last day before a planned leave of absence. It is currently finals week and there are a metric ton of orders to the library which I usually take since I can get there in about a minute and it takes a car almost 7 due to one way streets. The ski helmet and goggles might be making an appearance before 2017.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Spent Sunday having x-rays and treatment after a big fall while DH'ing on Saturday... but I was not to be deterred! -2C, fog, bruised ribs and sore wrist... but got there in the end!
    2016 Cannondale SuperX
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2016 Scott Voltage FR 730
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member
    Bonjour Marc,

that doesnt sound very good. Sounds tough that you rode today. Take care and get well soon!

Dry ride again in the morning, but damp and a bit foggy. 5C all day and slight rain on the way home.

My Altura Night Vision Jacket that I bought early this year seems to do the job although it could use a new repellant treatment. Same for my Windstopper pants, so I ordered Grangers 2in1 wash/repellent today. I hope it works since all repellents have to be activated in the dryer, which we dont have :-/ So I will try ironing everything with a towel between iron and textile.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Anyone else experiencing really cold temps right now? The wind chill here is making things unbearable. Going to do an all time first on Wednesday. Drive down to the bike shop with my bike in the car, park the car, ride my bike to deliver, put the bike in the car, drive to work, then home. Wind chill forecasted for -8F Wednesday night and that is just too cold for me. Wind combined with a good chance of a bit of accumulation and that will make for a miserable ride home. Monday night took me almost an hour on the fat bike, partially due to back road conditions, partially the gearing on the bike.

Kudos to those of you beating these cold temps.

mtbr member
    I don't blame you Tenspeed, that's cold.

Similar here Dutchman, damp, misty, grey and grimy this morning, about 8C.

CB of the East
    Anyone else experiencing really cold temps right now? The wind chill here is making things unbearable. Going to do an all time first on Wednesday. Drive down to the bike shop with my bike in the car, park the car, ride my bike to deliver, put the bike in the car, drive to work, then home. Wind chill forecasted for -8F Wednesday night and that is just too cold for me. Wind combined with a good chance of a bit of accumulation and that will make for a miserable ride home. Monday night took me almost an hour on the fat bike, partially due to back road conditions, partially the gearing on the bike.

Kudos to those of you beating these cold temps.
    Not yet but it is coming. We have -1F last weekend but I wasn't' riding. We have -1F forecast again for Friday morning with winds that will push the windchill to about -25. I may bail because the roads are still shite...

Dropped off my vehicle for service and rode 8 miles in. The roads were mostly clear with some ass puckering stretches of deep slushy slop covering the entire shoulder. Not a fan.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=TenSpeed;12954801]Anyone else experiencing really cold temps right now? The wind chill here is making things unbearable. [QUOTE]

We went through 2 weeks below -20C (no wind chill)...Just add -10C to wind chill cause that is about 30 kph.

You dress for the temp without windchill.....winter biking you must have a proper and well thought out wind barrier....

I use a front only system to break the wind.

The temps broke on the week end....-16C today

I wore winter helmet (skiing) open face balaclava...(can't find my nose protector)...

triple layer gortex ski shell, light merino wool sweater, cotton tee shirt.

bike shorts, wind proof tights, thick soaks and winter boots...

Felt cold till I got going, but a little bit of sweat by the time I got in at about 70% power.

For -24 C I go with a thermal long sleeve tee and another layer of wind proof tights.

mtbr member
    5C and I am riding with a Buff over my nose, cheeks and ears....AND I always wear my swisseye F16 sportsglasses.

This morning I misjudged the rain and put on the windstopper pants. Big mistake, when I got to work, my pants underneath were soaked on the knees and on the inside of my thighs. Looked like I p'd in my pants....fortunately it dried within an hour or so. Time to get out the real rainpants I guess. It turned into a foggy and damp day, dull outside and dull in the office :-/ The ride home was dry enough to stay dry, at least.

My water repellent will arrive tomorrow, will try it out over the weekend.

AND I got my forumcharger from somebody from a german forum today, who builds them semi-professional. Pretty excited to try it out over the weekend to see if it keeps my phone charged when riding with navigation apps running.

mtbr member
    It hasn't been super cold here, but we're getting down around 10F tomorrow. It will be 60F on Saturday and maybe snowy on Sunday. Riding the roller coaster...

pillage! plunder! 4 parts

Mine went okay except my shoes finally fell apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    don't question why you ride but rather why you don't ride more.

^^little shoe goo and they're good as new^^

pillage! plunder! 4 parts
    Haha. Unfortunate it was brittle and ended up in pieces all over the place. I guess it's time for some new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    don't question why you ride but rather why you don't ride more.

mtbr member
    Dang I haven't heard of shoe goo since my skater punk days lol, stuff worked wonders.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Something wacky happened on my way into work this morning, I was riding through this medical clinic place that's part of the mup and a lady jumps out of her car waving her arms frantically towards me so I stop.

Are you a police officer?

What? Nope just riding my bike to work.

Oh I thought you were a cop patrolling the grounds. Sorry!

Well are you ok? Do you need help?

No I was just wondering what time clinic opened, I figured you would know. Thanks anyway.

ffs really? I guess I kinda look like a renta cop guy. Black bike and bags and bright yellow bits here and there. And are cops like walmart greeters or something to some people wow!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

NDD
    Baby boy
    Tried to skimp on the gloves on the ride in. Not groovy. The doctor said my finger that got smashed earlier this year would be sensitive to cold...he was right. About three miles in it was painful and its good I brought my other warm gloves. Funny, I don't feel anything in that finger except pain apparently.

On the ride home I think I passed a group run. About 20 people in reflective vests with flashing headlamps. Kinda fun.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Well, today mistakes were made. I took the cx bike in the car down to the shop to deliver. Mistake 1. Snow started and I am on Continental City Rides. Super slick, snow covered ice and slushy roads. Mistake 2. Forgot a pen. Delivery guys/girls need pens and a lot of them. I always have at least 4 just in case. Mistake 3. Should have worn snowboard helmet/goggles. Wind nearly knocked me off the bike several times. Face was numb from the wind even though I had a wool buff on. Hands were surprisingly alright.

So today was my last day delivering until winter passes. I took a leave of absence which we are allowed to do. Having some work done on my leg in January so I will be off the bike but would like to keep the job. Finals week is now and then there is a huge lull until after the first of the year. If I am cleared, and the weather breaks early, will definitely be back at it. Until then, just commutes and recreational rides.

Drove the car to work and I am glad that I did. We got another 2" or so and the wind is just blowing snow everywhere. Weather app shows 10F feels like -9F with 14mph winds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    22F when I left the house, wind chill said 2F, didn't think much of the big gap in temps until I started riding into the wind. Apparently we are getting 35mph sustained winds, gusting into the 40mph range. More unusual is the heavy wind in the morning, we get windy in the winter, but usually is the ride home that gets me.

Short version: Slightly uphill, 35mph on an upright single speed. Closest I've come to getting off the bike and walking in a long time.

mtbr member
    car again today (seem to be writing that more and more at the moment) as a long day planned in the office. Deadlines Won't get to see much of the family today or tomorrow anyway so the cycle had to lose out.

Why didn't I plan for deadlines? I did.

Why didn't I plan for contingency in my deadlines? I did, been and gone!!

Why can the customer change their requirement at the last minute and still expect to meet the original deadline? Coz they're the customer and my management said yes

CB of the East
    ^^Sounds like a typical work day: an unrelenting stream of problems that need immediate attention.

TenSpeed, congrats on getting some time off. <where is that jealous emoji (not so much on the leg work) >

formula4speed, reason #58 why I own 8 bikes and no single speeds.

THE LAKE IS FROZEN! Not only that but it froze before the snow last weekend, it has cold and it is getting colder tomorrow. It should be plenty safe for crossing any time. We are getting more snow over the weekend so I'm not sure if it will be passable but it will be safe.

I'd rather be on my bike
    No one will be jealous of what I get done to my leg. Saphenous vein in my right light is being removed. SOB stopped working. Been having all kinds of pain and swelling associated with excess blood in my leg since the vein that is supposed to pump it back out pretty much stopped working. It throbs, itches, swells, causes overheating in my legs, looks very unsightly, makes my leg restless at night.... you get the picture here.

Seriously considering a bike commute on the fatty for Friday. Supposed to be bitter cold and snowing with accumulation of almost 4". This is almost ideal for that bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Tried to skimp on the gloves on the ride in. Not groovy. The doctor said my finger that got smashed earlier this year would be sensitive to cold...he was right. About three miles in it was painful and its good I brought my other warm gloves. Funny, I don't feel anything in that finger except pain apparently.
    What did you do to your finger? I botched a wall ride in October and got my index finger caught in between the boards (it was a lot of fun riding down the rest of the DH type trail with a very sore and swollen braking finger). The cold still makes my knuckle stiff and decreases the range of motion.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    What did you do to your finger? I botched a wall ride in October and got my index finger caught in between the boards (it was a lot of fun riding down the rest of the DH type trail with a very sore and swollen braking finger). The cold still makes my knuckle stiff and decreases the range of motion.
    I smashed it between a wooden pile and a tractor back in April. I won't share pics but there's a scar thread in the OC forum if you want it. My fingertip was basically like a busted grape, but they saved most of it (though after having gotten hospital bills I'd rather have taken the whiskey and machete option).

Basically if I touch anything with it, I only feel pressure towards the base of the finger. If it gets cold or accidentally smack it on something it hurts.

mtbr member
    The wide bars take some getting used to, but I can promise you when you get some deep snow and are rolling slow that the wider they are, the better. I'm running a set of 780mm wide bars and may step up to 800 if I can find one.

Decent ride in this AM after some time away again. 8F at the house and 13F in town. Legs felt a bit dead - likely from the run I did yesterday afternoon with the dog.