Page 428 of 428 FirstFirst ... 328378418424425426427428
Results 21,351 to 21,380 of 21380
    Bedwards Of The West
    You know what's good "core" exercise?? Throwing heavy things at people who give you advice on how to deal with your back issues!!
    I've actually only had issues a couple times, and I've found stretching to be HUGE in helping it to go away... then it goes away and I stop stretching, and then complain in a year when I get a hint of back pain again...

...can't wait to master the creepy mirror selfie with the new camera!! That's a goal for sure...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Ghost htx: I have very good experience during the last 10years with this proline antiflat stuff. Comes in several sizes to fit your road tires as well.
    https://www.bike24.com/p216437.html
    (took me ages to find an english shop that has it).
    That allows you to ride any tire you like instead of those heavy marathon plus models that roll like a bag of potatoes.

CB, nice to hear from you again. Take care.

mtbr member
    Back at it today. A brisk -2F when I left the house. A bit warmer in town with temps in the single digits. I've also bitten the bullet and dropped a wad of cash on winter cycling boots. I ended up going with the Wolvhammers as I was able to get them at REI locally so that if something were to go wrong with them in the next year I can easily return them. Just tucking in for lunch right now, then will take them on their virgin excursion as I take the long way from my office to my client site for an afternoon meeting. We'll see how they do. This AM my feet were ice by the time I got to the office, so I'm hopeful. Of course most rides it's not until a hour or so has past that I start to get cold feet, so today won't be the best test.

Bit sore the past few days. Took a nice spill on Friday and bruised some ribs, possibly dislocated one - at least the pop the next night from the rib area leads me to believe that is what happened... Nice scrapes all along my left side as well. Got a bit over confident while riding some trails and went down hard. Ouch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I received my new HotShot Pro 150 tail light yesterday, and yep it's pretty bright. Beam pattern is a bit wider than my original HotShot which isn't a bad thing. Putting it to good use today with it being dark and raining.

Also got a new headlight, 1500 lumens is probably too much for the road, but the lower setting give me a lot more run time. Always fun getting new gear.

mtbr member
    Ghost - chasing e-bikes at 40km/hr, glad you're fighting fit again!

Bedwards - great looking bike, lucky lady! Nice snow covering too

CB - Yes stretching and mobility are your friends. I have similar issue in my shoulder from a torn rotator cuff years ago. Have to lightly work it a couple times a week or it plays up. Great Eagle pic too!

Dutchman - minus 8C. That's pretty chilly, is that a regular low for Germany?

Blockphi - minus 2F. That's really bloody chilly!! Kudos for riding still, and while battered.

-1C here this morning, beard didn't freeze but it felt colder due to the headwind.
    2016 - 3245/3000 commute miles as of 02/11/16

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Ghost htx: I have very good experience during the last 10years with this proline antiflat stuff. Comes in several sizes to fit your road tires as well.
    https://www.bike24.com/p216437.html
    (took me ages to find an english shop that has it).
    That allows you to ride any tire you like instead of those heavy marathon plus models that roll like a bag of potatoes.

CB, nice to hear from you again. Take care.
    Oh! This looks like something I need! I've used Bike24 before too - not a bad web shop by any means.

Purchased!

Many thanks!

I'd rather be on my bike
    First commute in over a week for me. This is pretty sad.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3984/6000

mtbr member
    Crap ride this AM. -6F at my house. Cold enough that it reminds me of all of the moving parts that I haven't re-lubed with winter-weight grease. Sluggish.

Add to that that my ribs hurt worse and worse instead of getting better. On every bump I hit I hear a pop or crack, as if I were cracking my back, but coming from the ribs. Hmmm, Dr. may be in order. Or at least a rib girdle to keep things in check for a bit.

On the positive side, my feet stayed warm on both sides of the bus commute and were even warm on the bus. I am thinking of exchanging for a smaller size though. I went with a 50 when the 48 fit with room for layers of socks. My initial thoughts were that having the extra room would be good on those coldest of cold days, but now I'm not sure that it is needed and the extra large boots do make for some odd feeling on the bike. It's almost like I can't feel the peddles at all. Definitely different than the shoes I'm used to.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Crap ride this AM. -6F at my house. Cold enough that it reminds me of all of the moving parts that I haven't re-lubed with winter-weight grease. Sluggish.

Add to that that my ribs hurt worse and worse instead of getting better. On every bump I hit I hear a pop or crack, as if I were cracking my back, but coming from the ribs. Hmmm, Dr. may be in order. Or at least a rib girdle to keep things in check for a bit.

On the positive side, my feet stayed warm on both sides of the bus commute and were even warm on the bus. I am thinking of exchanging for a smaller size though. I went with a 50 when the 48 fit with room for layers of socks. My initial thoughts were that having the extra room would be good on those coldest of cold days, but now I'm not sure that it is needed and the extra large boots do make for some odd feeling on the bike. It's almost like I can't feel the peddles at all. Definitely different than the shoes I'm used to.
    Wow, we won't see temps like that for 2 more months here in tropical Maine! Is that low for this time of year? Report in on the Wolvhammers once you get a few more cold rides in. The extra $100+ over the Lakes was too much for me. The other thing I have noticed about boots that are too big (my lakes are one size too large for socks) is that sometimes clicking out quickly sometimes doesn't' happen. Your foot twists inside the boot instead of your boot twisting in the cleat. I'd probably drop down a size if I had it to do again.

I feel sorry for you when you sneeze. My rib is just feeling close to normal from my crash a month ago.

The ride in was OK even though I'm fending off a cold. Based on the car off in the ditch I just missed the black ice. Good thing because I wasn't even considering it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Wow, we won't see temps like that for 2 more months here in tropical Maine! Is that low for this time of year? Report in on the Wolvhammers once you get a few more cold rides in. The extra $100+ over the Lakes was too much for me. The other thing I have noticed about boots that are too big (my lakes are one size too large for socks) is that sometimes clicking out quickly sometimes doesn't' happen. Your foot twists inside the boot instead of your boot twisting in the cleat. I'd probably drop down a size if I had it to do again.
    Yup, these are close to normal temps for this time of year here. In the next couple of weeks we'll start seeing lows in the negative teens to negative twenties - at least we should - then after the solstice we will start to slowly warm up again. Generally. The problem now is that we haven't had any real snow yet. Supposed to get some today and tomorrow, but less than three inches. We won't see any snow until after the new year, then, I'd wager, if the temps stay low.

I can already see where clipping out may be an issue. My first ride on them yesterday I didn't cinch down the laces as tight as I could and almost was unable to unclip at a stop light. Plan to exchange tomorrow and then see what's what. I was so close to going with the Lake's, but figured I'd need a bit more insulation than they offer and with the Wolvehammer's being leather and nylon I figured they'd last just as long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Abnormal temps here, it hit 60 today. Of course the rain came with the warm weather but it looks like the rain shifted just west of us for my ride home. Jackpot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    We have had a little warm period here (well, +3C) and then cold again and a little dusting on snow.

This is all irrelevant to me as I have used the train the last two days - massive head ache yesterday added to staying up to watch Magnus Carlsen win last night...

As I write this I am tucking into a large piece of marzipan cake (colleagues 25 year work anniversary) - so I need to get back on the bike tomorrow! :P

mtbr member
    Car today. Probably the warmest day so far this week but as the night started above 0C and damp the freeze later on meant it was more slippery. Not why I drove though, just tired and quads hurt for some reason. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    first real snow of the year...maybe 0.5 inch....

will put studs on the rear....just cause I haven't mounted the studs on a suitable rim yet.

mtbr member
    I'm feeling bummed today. There's 2.5 or so inches of fresh snow and a heatwave with 18F temps in Anchorage this AM and I am not on my bike out in it. The combination of the ribs and the fact that I need to run a number of errands today made me opt for the car route. And not even the all wheel drive car, meaning that the drive home could be interesting... Hopefully I can get out of town before the rest of the yahoos get on the highway. Of course, the question becomes do I come into town tomorrow for 4 hours of work and then 3 to 4 of sitting around waiting for the bus or do I just work from home and then go get me some single track in the afternoon? I guess a lot depends on the ribs. I'm going crazy wanting to run and bike, but then when I get on the bike it is just horrible, very bad, no fun. #frustration.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Got a cold. 33 F and sunny though so I biked it today hacking up phlegm and such. Worth it I guess, but I'm definitely not feeling top notch.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    a balmy 5C this morning and relatively bright. Legs feel ok.

Not so for my cycling colleague. Apparently he took a tumble on the way home down the unlit country roads on weds night. He phoned in but is off so I don't know if it was wet leaves, ice or another vehicle involved. A passing off duty Policeman attended to him apparently.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post

I feel sorry for you when you sneeze. My rib is just feeling close to normal from my crash a month ago.

The ride in was OK even though I'm fending off a cold. Based on the car off in the ditch I just missed the black ice. Good thing because I wasn't even considering it.
    I bought the Lake 145 in 50 (which is a size and a half too large), because the 48s were too small with regular socks (even though I'm a 48). I added a wool felt insole (designed to insulate other hiking boots) below the regular insole to take up space and haven't had issues unclipping. I run eggbeaters though so it may just be differences in pedals. The Lakes work well down to 15F by themselves and with toe covers down to 10F. I can keep my glasses clear and eyes from getting windburn below that, so I didn't buy the 345s.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Deleted (double post)
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 3 Days Ago at 07:38 AM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Ghost_HTX;12935332]Oh! This looks like something I need!

Purchased!

[\QUOTE]

You are welcome! Glad I could help and thanks for the rep!! is very much appreciated!

Take some time when mounting it. When it is mounted for the first time, it is still a bit stiff and not cooperative. If you want to change a tire later, it is set a bit in the curve of tire.

Some experience and also what I have read from German reviews below. Note that my own experience is only with the wider versions in orange (26") and green (28"). I can also imagine that the narrower versions are maybe a bit thinner. The orange and green ones I have are ~1.5mm thick.

-It protects agains small glass splitter, sharp stones etc etc, not against big/long nails etc.
    -Do not cut the ends but let them overlap
    -Make sure that it is exactly in the middle of the tire.
    -Take your time when installing it.
    -Some people report that it sticks a bit to the tire after a while and that it rubs off some tire rubber on the inside. I am riding mostly Conti tires and did not have any problem.
    -A mechanic in a local shop once told me that with lower pressures, the antiplatt could start walking/moving inside and rub through the tube. However on my MTB I rode my rear tire with just below 2 bar and never had an issue with this.

I got this stuff 10 years ago when I bought a new MTB with Racing Ralph tires in 26x2,5". I invented soon the name "sneaky leak". Those are leaks you do not notice during the ride, but when grabbing the bike a day or a weekend later, both tires were flat. This is annoying³³ because I missed my appointment with my buddies. I then went to an LBS and they sold me a set of Conti Explorer Supersonic for 75€. The Snake Skin was told to be much more flat resistant. The flatting however went on and another LBS sold me the antiplatt stuff. SAVED!! Since then, I have had no flats in 2500km MTBiking in the woods. After that had a flat again, the thorn went directly next to the antiplatt somehow. Well after 2 years and 2500km I could live with it. When fixing it, I noticed how much stones and thornes were sticking into the tire. In some little holes you could even see the cotton webbing of the tire. If every one of them would have caused a flat, I would have stopped cycling a long time ago.

Now good luck and keep us informed on how you are doing. As I said most experience and reviews concerns wider versions but I do not see why it should not apply to road versions.
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 3 Days Ago at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Hm Ghost, can not rep you back yet.

Secondly, do you folks see the smileys just as big as I do? They are as wide as the entire text pane.

And last but not least: Somehow the Quote function is not working (not taking all text) and the advanced editor throws away more than half of the text when previewing a post...

#firstworldproblems

#keepsmiling

#keepriding!!

CB of the East
    Those smileys are distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    ...I added a wool felt insole (designed to insulate other hiking boots) below the regular insole to take up space and haven't had issues unclipping....
    Good advice, I'll try that. I run Time ATAC which unclip well without oversize shoes.

Still sick but not quite as worn down as yesterday. And it IS Friday!

mtbr member
    Good ride in this AM. Lots of fresh snow - about six inches of powder. Set first tracks for the first half of the commute. Took about fifty minutes to make the 5.5 miles from the bus stop to the office. Good times.

Swapped down to size 48 on the Wolvhammers and I think that was the right move. Toes stayed plenty warm and didn't have issues with feet sliding around or heel strikes.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Good ride in today. Stopped at the bike shop to attempt a fix for this creaking. Started with the pedals and saddle. Thought it might be those. Test ride in the parking lot was silent. Installed new 3T stem on my 3T bars. Looks pretty epic. Tightening the face plate down, wanted to make sure it was good. One last quarter turn......snap. Right in between the 3 and the T it snaps. It's structurally fine, but I think it looks like garbage. Searching for an eBay replacement. Ride to work was fine. Creaking is still there. Has to be the bottom bracket. That's next on the agenda, just ran out of time today. Ride home was actually pretty nice minus the creaking and a squeak that has now developed that I think might be a cleat issue.

Decided that I really don't like riding a bike with gears. Feels like I putz around with the shifting constantly which is funny because I prefer a manual for a car and have one. No commute Sunday I don't think - haven't decided yet.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3984/6000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Decided that I really don't like riding a bike with gears. Feels like I putz around with the shifting constantly which is funny because I prefer a manual for a car and have one.
    Yep, I hear ya, much the same here. Free not fixed for me though.

-3C, dry and bright this morning. Beard froze again. I know it's a common thing for a lot of you guys but it still amuses me.

mtbr member
    Well, looks like I'm last man standing at my work. My colleague who had the off last week is in. Spoke to him earlier. He's ok. Black ice was to blame. He remembers riding, and then picking himself up. Big wound on his cheek which produced much blood, bruised leg and shoulder and a swollen wrist but otherwise pretty lucky. Mangled pedal too. He reckons he was probably only doing 12mph tops. Passing police van took him to A&E. Probably be the new year before he's (allowed by his missus) to be back on the bike, temperature dependent....

mtbr member
    Dont talk about creaking bottom brackets Something down there started creaking on my bike too on the way home....

SS, how do you have year beard freeze up at only -3C? I have been riding in -8C two times now and the buff I wear to cover my mouth, nose and cheeks only gets wet but doesnt freeze. Always wanted to have frozen selfie. Maybe I should grow a beard too.

Again -8C and foggy on the way in this morning. Streets white and crisp with hoar frost but not slippery, at least not at the straight stretches where I tested it. Only -2C on the way home, sweated a lot. I am getting used to it but they are forecasting rain and +9C for the end of the week. Really going up and down the last weeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    SS, how do you have year beard freeze up at only -3C? I have been riding in -8C two times now and the buff I wear to cover my mouth, nose and cheeks only gets wet but doesnt freeze. Always wanted to have frozen selfie. Maybe I should grow a beard too.

Again -8C and foggy on the way in this morning. Streets white and crisp with hoar frost but not slippery, at least not at the straight stretches where I tested it. Only -2C on the way home, sweated a lot. I am getting used to it but they are forecasting rain and +9C for the end of the week. Really going up and down the last weeks.
    Don't know to be honest, it's longer than I've had it before, sides are trimmed but goat is maybe 3", I don't wear a buff. Perhaps I don't ride fast enough..... -8C would definitely do it though

Looks set to rise in temp similarly here too, be just shorts by the end of week.

mtbr member
    A chilly ride in this AM. -4F at my house. -8F at the office. Massive beardcicles. The feet stayed absolutely warm, though. I do think, though, that I am going to make an executive decision that any day that is colder than 12 below zero is a driving day. I've actually got some cracked and bleeding bits on the inside of my nose from the cold. Not fun and a bit gross.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    bluebird day at -14C biting northwest wind.

Back to trying to get the studs to go tubeless....that way the work with the summer set-ups with no tube changes.