Page 428 of 631 FirstFirst ... 328 378 418 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 438 478 528 ... LastLast
Results 10,676 to 10,700 of 15775
    Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Woodway, PM.
    Just responded, rodar. Did not see the little notification thingie up top.

vegascruiser, your fish story gave me a good laugh. Thanks for posting more detail. I really enjoyed the imagery of a fish in a cooler in your pannier...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So I shattered my previous speed record home.

This morning was cool and not really humid, I didn't eat either enough or the right crap last night so I wasn't really feeling any real power.

About half way a dude I haven't seen before on a roadie pulled out in front of me, I was on a decent roll so I caught up quickly, stop next to him at a light nodded at each other, and stood up straight sprint mode for the next two miles, I couldn't get past him but he couldn't drop me either (this is two clydes with big ass back packs on going to work ) He broke off a light before my turn off waved...and that was that.

There are two hills that are both relatively (for south Jersey) steep and long on my way home, and they have been kicking my ass for the last month. This afternoon I said the hell with it got off the saddle and mashed it up both or them. My top average had been 14.7mph and I wasn't getting any faster at it. This afternoon I only caught one light (for a change) and averaged 16.5mph.

Considering I was having a hard time keeping up 12mph 6 weeks ago I'm kind of stoked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I bet he`s bored and wants to go for another bike ride! Yeah, transportation issues can really suck some times. Hope your current truck keeps on hanging in there for you until you get the replacement. Whatever you end up doing for the weekend, keep it cool!
    He ain't going for a bike ride anytime soon. I'm actually thinking it's a carp and not a koi now. I saw smaller versions of this guy in the wash today in a non-concrete section and think I might let this sucker go if he doesn't start getting more interesting.

Biggest issue with the Jeep is towing the trailer on steep grades. Without something behind it, it runs just fine.

Will stay cool by staying in the AC.

No commute today. Took the Jeep to work. Woke up today feeling kind of stiff. As I usually go mt. biking every Saturday morning, I figured I could use this "off" day before my ride tomorrow.

Two Wheeled Terror

Re: How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    He ain't going for a bike ride anytime soon. I'm actually thinking it's a carp and not a koi now. I saw smaller versions of this guy in the wash today in a non-concrete section and think I might let this sucker go if he doesn't start getting more interesting.

Biggest issue with the Jeep is towing the trailer on steep grades. Without something behind it, it runs just fine.

Will stay cool by staying in the AC.

No commute today. Took the Jeep to work. Woke up today feeling kind of stiff. As I usually go mt. biking every Saturday morning, I figured I could use this "off" day before my ride tomorrow.
    Remember if you figure out he's a carp they are edible. Nail it to a nice piece of cedar and bake for 1 hour at 350 or until golden brown. Then remove the carp from the board and serve the cedar in 2x2" servings. Enjoy

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ride Everything
    Look what I found on the commute home today:

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Remember if you figure out he's a carp they are edible. Nail it to a nice piece of cedar and bake for 1 hour at 350 or until golden brown. Then remove the carp from the board and serve the cedar in 2x2" servings. Enjoy

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Lucky for the fish, he's less skittish now, took to the diurnal schedule like all the other fish, and has adjusted to aquarium living just fine. I'll hang on to him for a while and then release him where no fishing is permitted.

This forum sure dries up during the weekend. I guess all of us must be on M-F schedules, or just very busy on weekends.

Went on my mountain bike ride with a buddy from work Saturday. This guy's a maniac (the good kind) on a mt. bike. Came with a single speed (32x16) 2006 Redline Monocog and destroyed the trails, hills and all. Spent mostly the entire ride standing on his peddles as he hammered up hill after hill. He's the triathlon type and hasn't lost much for not doing them for a few years.

I bought this bike off of him at the end of the ride for $100. He picked it up for his sister a few months ago, for whatever reason he ended up with it again, and it didn't really fit him too well. I suspect I might've overpaid, but I've been eyeing Monocog's for a while now (Surlys are too expensive for my budget) as an introductory single speed. Not interested in a single speed conversion, as I wanted the single speed geometry. I suspect the geometry is set up for out-of-saddle peddling, as my buddy didn't lose traction on any hills out-of-the-saddle.

Bike looks fresh from the farm though. Couple of dents on the top tube, but welds are solid. Looks like the bike spent sometime outdoors and in the rain. Some rust here and there, etc. Spent this morning cleaning the bike up with some lube and grease. Chain pretty rusty and a soak didn't help it much, but I'll roll with the bike as is until things start breaking. That's the proper approach, in my opinion, to a farm fresh, one-hundred dollar bike. Been wanting a single speed mt. bike for some time now--so glad to have this one fall in my lap. Wife was pretty upset about another bike in the stable though. We're only up to four now--geez, and the Joshua 3 is basically just a frame at this point.

mtbr member
    Nice ride out Sunday almost windless for most of it then it kicked up for the ride home. Not one for the record books. Saw two recreational riders (5 mph, cruisers, and no helmets). I waved as I went past but no reaction, I guess I look too serious/weird (they were crossing the 4-lane and passed behind me).

BrianMc

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Fall seems to be here. We mostly skipped over summer. This morning was cool, crisp and breezy. My wife did her third bike commute in 2 weeks. I think we may have a convert.

This weekend's bike solo bike tour: The Candid Cyclist: "I'll Be Back in Three Hours"

mtbr member
    This morning was a wake-up call for sure. At 5:25 AM there was no sun to speak of. Summer is officially over and now we begin the long slide into darkness. It was shocking; I was up at midnight on Saturday evening and it was dark out. Like full on dark. Would need headlights on dark. Soon, too very soon, it will be dark at 10 in the morning and the sun will set at 3:30. I'm not prepared for that - mentally. Too much left to accomplish yet.

The commute was, apart from the darkness, good. Uneventful.

I cleaned up the drive train over the weekend and found that the mounting bolts for my small chainring were all loose, which might explain some of the creaking I was experiencing last week. It's crazy how a nicely greased chain makes the ride so much nicer - quieter. I think I have come to the conclusion, though, that if I ride trails up in the valley that I need to clean and relube directly afterwards. The glacial silt of our soil up there makes a fine scouring powder. Not so good for the longevity of parts, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Fall seems to be here. We mostly skipped over summer. This morning was cool, crisp and breezy.
    Yeah, what's that all about? Had to start out with a jacket and stop halfway to take it off.

I just read your blog, that looks like an awesome ride!

mtbr member

Another thing to watch for

Thursday, I discovered the ramp just off the video to the right, closed. I often turn onto this road just north of the exchange on my bike as the overpass and roads approaching it are a bit dangerous and there is a less used alternate route. Still not something we see too often. Pigs next?

The trucker was forced off by another driver and caught the embankment for a launch into space. He and young son came through OK. Figured as it was near to where I ride it was not too far OT.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 08-09-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    This weekend's bike solo bike tour: The Candid Cyclist: "I'll Be Back in Three Hours"
    Nice pics and story bedwards.

Rain riding 102: Go with the Showers Pass Club shoe covers. That's what I use. Be aware that the zippers need to be treated with care and zip them off before walking any distance or they won't last. I wore mine every day last winter (even when it was dry - they keep my feet warm) and they made it through the winter beat-up but intact. I'll probably buy a new pair for this winter and keep the old ones as a backup.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Thanks for the tips on the shoe covers. I've been thinking I need them for a year but it's best not to rush into these things. Although I've probably added 3 bikes in the meantime. I was also thinking that they would add a layer of insulation in the winter.

Sorry to hear that you are headed back to darkness blockphi. We've got a few more months but it is coming. It gets dark at 8:00 instead of 9:00, not long and it will be 7:00...6...5...4 that's about the earliest it gets dark here but it's enough so that all of the light hours are while you are at work.

Moderator Moderator
    Fall seems to be here. We mostly skipped over summer. This morning was cool, crisp and breezy. My wife did her third bike commute in 2 weeks. I think we may have a convert.

Yay wife (and Mom too!). Nice tour and pix. Evergreen cemetery on the cross bike must have been interesting, I used to ride some of that ledge at lunch and seem to recall both an endo and a bloody chaining tattoo as I returned to the office.

Lovely commute today, as instead of going to work I hiked Mt Abe with the new dog and friends. Crazy windy on top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1020210.jpg  

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    Look what I found on the commute home today:
    Nice. Very Southwestie

Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Went on my mountain bike ride with a buddy from work Saturday...

...I bought this bike off of him at the end of the ride for $100.
    I hope you found somewhere cool (-er than Vegas) to ride. Head up Charleston? $100 for a working bike can`t be too far wrong. Have fun with it.

As for carp, I`ve never attempted to eat it, but people from some cultures do. Then again, that doesn`t say much.
    My wife did her third bike commute in 2 weeks. I think we may have a convert.

This weekend's bike solo bike tour: "Wrong! I forgot to consider riding on trails is a lot slower, riding on unknown trails that aren't well marked is even slower and somehow that 35 miles turned to 58."
    Good job to Mrs Bedwards Now if you can get her to register here...

Been there. Er... been there, elsewhere. No railroad ties, though- I bet you were happy to be done with that part.

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Soon, too very soon, it will be dark at 10 in the morning and the sun will set at 3:30.
    Blech. Long, dark winter. I don`t know if I could deal with that.
    It gets dark at 8:00 instead of 9:00, not long and it will be 7:00...6...5...4 that's about the earliest it gets dark here but it's enough so that all of the light hours are while you are at work.
    All the light while you`re at work is better than no dark while you`re trying to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Lovely commute today, as instead of going to work I hiked Mt Abe with the new dog and friends. Crazy windy on top.
    Glad you`re putting him to good use!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Rodar,

Didn't make it to Charleston. I drive up to Blue Diamond (small little town about 20 miles from Vegas) on Saturdays and peddle the single track in the Red Rock Conservation area. Well over a hundred miles of single track there. Usually start peddling at 5 a.m. and done by eight or nine. Usually about ten degrees cooler than Vegas too.

-----------

Uneventful commute. Ride in wonderful. Ride home I pay for the wonderful ride in. I am very ready for fall.

Moderator Moderator
    As for carp, I`ve never attempted to eat it, but people from some cultures do. Then again, that doesn`t say much.
    Good job to Mrs Bedwards Now if you can get her to register here...
    I have had delicious whole carp served at a Chinese restaurant, although I once saw an unfortunate offering on the menu of "Steamed Crap".

MTB, Road, Commuting
    And now for some morning Haiku and a photo.
    The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration

All the light while you`re at work is better than no dark while you`re trying to sleep.
    So True! And Mrs bedwards has talked about joining in here. I'm not sure if we have any husband and wife teams here yet.

Nice mountain view there MTXB. We're going to climb Washington when we're camping in a few weeks.

The commute was darn chilly this morning. I wore a windbreaker but didn't realize it was only 45. Um, hello? It's the beginning of August!

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I have had delicious whole carp served at a Chinese restaurant, although I once saw an unfortunate offering on the menu of "Steamed Crap".
    My local Chinese place has crap Rangoon, one of my favorites. Aren't carp considered dirty fish, as they are bottom feeders...which is where a lot of the bad stuff we put in the water seems to settle?

mtbr member
    It was a damn chilly morning for August. Wore the jacket for the whole ride. My hands were even cold for half my ride. What's the deal with the cold August weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    My local Chinese place has crap Rangoon, one of my favorites. Aren't carp considered dirty fish, as they are bottom feeders...which is where a lot of the bad stuff we put in the water seems to settle?
    Best we have is Chicken Phuket and Chicken Prick King. I usually order the latter. It's tasty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Also true of catfish, but still tasty when fried in cornmeal.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    How was your commute today?-9452959790_75ec76f15f_c.jpg

Beautiful morning. Beautiful ride. A bit breezy, but with fall and winter coming, I need to prepare for that, I guess. Generally can't complain about the commutes lately. Yup, this is the life.

weirdo
    ^^Love it, Blockphi!
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Best we have is Chicken Phuket and Chicken Prick King. I usually order the latter. It's tasty.
    Haha! Valdez, AK has (at least HAD, about 15 years ago) a place called the "Fu King Restaurant". None of the locals would eat there.
    And besides catfish, I believe halibut is also a bottom feeder. It`s my very favorite seafood, but so crazy expensive these days that I`m lucky if I eat it once a year.

I must be feeling very sociable this summer. Just got to meet and ride with Xplorer and Bedwards, now I have a trip booked to Seattle and will hopefully get to to the same with Mr and Mrs Woodway.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Cool! It looks like they have some beautiful country to ride up there too.

Catfish is awesome. I throw caution to the wind and buy the swai (straight from the dirty rivers of Thailand) from Walmart for $3/lb. It probably has enough mercury in it to make me crap thermometers but it's a tasty fish.

mtbr member
    ^^Love it, Blockphi!
    Haha! Valdez, AK has (at least HAD, about 15 years ago) a place called the "Fu King Restaurant". None of the locals would eat there.
    And besides catfish, I believe halibut is also a bottom feeder. It`s my very favorite seafood, but so crazy expensive these days that I`m lucky if I eat it once a year.
    Fu King actually, up until a few months ago, turned into a bit of a chain resturant up here. There were at least three in Anchorage. They've all changed names now. No longer fu king. Sad days we're living in...

Lot's of good to eat fish are bottom feeders. I think a lot of the prejudice against eating carp has more to do with it's origins than with the fish itself. Invasive species, introduced from Asia at a time when Asians were not particularly welcomed here unless they were building rail roads, often starved out other, native species of fish, etc. etc.