Page 424 of 632 FirstFirst ... 324 374 414 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 434 474 524 ... LastLast
Results 10,576 to 10,600 of 15795
    mtbr member
    We had a long downpour this morning that thankfully ended just before I headed to work. But that kiboshes the ride I'd been planning tonight, since the trails were already gross yesterday - at one point I put a foot down, and sank into the mud past my knee, and barely escaped with my shoe.

Followed a couple of ebikes on the paved trails for a bit yesterday. Maybe a km of uphill, downhill, and flats, and all with zero pedaling. I sympathize with novice cyclists that even a gentle incline can make a nice ride pretty unpleasant, and I'd hoped that ebikes would help overcome that. But nope, apparently some people just want two-wheeled golfcarts.

Here's my contribution to dog cuteness:

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good commute today. Monsoon moisture is keeping it cooler. Didn't even break one hundred today. Humidity, however, was close to 50% for ride in and about 30% for ride home. Still a good riding day though. Gotta take advantage of these days in July when mother nature passes them out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Had a great day for a ride this morning, took my time and stayed in the bicycle lane all the way to work, it is a bit of a detour but I enjoy the bike lanes. A car drove by me and pulled over about 20 feet ahead and came to a stop right in the bike lane. As I went by I noticed he was texting on his cell phone - I said good morning as I passed

~Disc~Golf~
    thought y'all would like this one(if you haven't seen it)

Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    LOL thats bad timing for driving like that - costly

Two Wheeled Terror

Re: How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    LOL thats bad timing for driving like that - costly
    Man bike lanes look nice. Wish they'd do that around here.

That's a good environmentally friendly philanthropist. They cut him off for donating regularly so he makes additional contributions through moving violations.

Hand typed and Telegraphed

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Hey newfangled, is that your muddy pup? Our dog use to do the "Swamp Dance" charging through the muddiest, muckiest stuff and having a blast.

As of this weekend it wasn't even supposed to rain today but it was raining. Oh Boy was it raining, about 1" per hour for the whole commute. The kind of rain where everybody I see in the office says "You didn't ride today, did you?" It was pretty awesome actually. I just embraced the fact that I was going to get wet, listened to the rain in the woods and peddled on.

mtbr member
    Had two decent commutes last two days finally. Been raining every day, but not for all that long, but the lightning has been EVERY day! Kinda frustrating when there's no rain, but with electricity in the sky I'm not gonna take a chance (I'm a chicken ).

Still can't help but wonder about the lock up philosophy of my co-workers, when 4-5 bikes on the rack, everybody Else's bikes are cabled just through the front wheel (with quick releases no less) or around the bars, then mine with u-lock and cable through both wheels and seat. Only thing that keeps me from feeling paranoid about it is that if someone stole my bike I'd have to walk 3 times as far as the next farthest commuter (14 miles) or cough up $20 for a taxi.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    What a cute new puppy, mtbxploer! I absolutely love his beard!

I was worn out last week from 3 days in a row in 95 degree heat + headwinds, but so far our forecast looks beautiful this week and I had a nice easy ride in this morning with a gentle breeze at my back. My right knee is starting to get a little achy right in the middle of my knee cap. I'm spinning, not mashing at the pedals. Any other ideas for cause of pain?

mtbr member

Porting a Portly Puss

Last night, a hound meet's joint barking about a mile away made him a bit leery at the start, but he got into it.

How was your commute today?-img_0245.jpg
    How was your commute today?-img_0247.jpg

He is 13 pounds and long but can scrunch up when he wants to!

I am thinking of a DIY 'ghetto' engineered answer with a wire top so he gets a 360 view.

In the fashion of this: Small Dog Up to 13 lbs Pet Wicker Bike Basket Bicycle Carrier Safety Cage | eBay

mtbr member
    Had a long commute home last night. An hour on the bus stuck in traffic. This morning my normal bus never showed, so I ended up a bit later than usual in getting to work.

I've had some squeaking on the bike, which I think I mentioned before, and I've rebuilt the rear hub, but still had some squeaking. Last night I checked bolts and tightened things. It has reduced quite a bit, but still there... On the right I stopped to check my brake caliper on the rear and realized that the caliper was hitting the rotor when I put the power to the peddles - the mounting bolt was just a touch loose. So that took care of another bit of the noise, but I still get some squeaking when under power. Getting closer to figuring it out.

Starting to think about the weekend already...taking some time off and I think I'm going to go camp and do some clamming. Nothing better than fresh-dug razor clams. Yum, yum. The other option is to go north and try to get more fish. Not sure which way we'll end up, but good food will be the result. *edit* Just realized that if I go clamming it is a damned good excuse to get the fattie out on the beach for some sand riding - clamming by bike. Yeah, I think I'll go there.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    What a cute new puppy, mtbxploer! I absolutely love his beard!
    I was worn out last week from 3 days in a row in 95 degree heat + headwinds, but so far our forecast looks beautiful this week and I had a nice easy ride in this morning with a gentle breeze at my back. My right knee is starting to get a little achy right in the middle of my knee cap. I'm spinning, not mashing at the pedals. Any other ideas for cause of pain?
    My knee pain comes and goes. It usually comes on when I ride further or harder than normal but then it wanes away. As much as I hate to admit it, glucosamine seems to help. Not like a magic bullet but if I stop taking it the pain seems to come more frequently. Of course it could very well be psychosomatic.

Junior, as long as the slightly locked bikes are of a similar quality to yours I think you have a nice insurance policy there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    ...I still get some squeaking when under power. Getting closer to figuring it out.
    See if it is with power applied on one leg or both, if so, check the crank arms for tightness (if older square drive, remove grease, and retighten). My clipless pedal clamps get noisy when they need a drop of oil, too. A slightly out of flat chain wheel can make the chain touch once an RPM against the front DR cage. Trimming the front a bit will fix that as you roll. Once it was my shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    My knee pain comes and goes. ...

Junior, as long as the slightly locked bikes are of a similar quality to yours I think you have a nice insurance policy there.
    I found fish oil did the trick for me and helped the BP, too! I agree about the insurance policy. Unless someone pulls up with a grinder and a van for a volume deal, you are golden.

mtbr member
    My right knee is starting to get a little achy right in the middle of my knee cap. I'm spinning, not mashing at the pedals. Any other ideas for cause of pain?
    There are probably a million possible causes and a million possible solutions.

But if my knee starts acting up, I try to brush it against the toptube as I'm pedaling. I think I got that from Sheldon Brown:

Something the doctors don't seem to think of suggesting, but which really helped me a lot, is to make a concious effort to avoid lateral knee movement during the pedal stroke. Watch your knees as you ride (in a low-traffic setting!) They should move up and down as you pedal, with no sideward motion. Many cyclists have a sideways hitch in their pedaling motion, which I believe is a major contributor to chondromalacia. If you pay occasional attention to this, it doesn't take long to train yourself to keep the knees in line.
    So I actually deliberately overcorrect, but that helps remind me not to flail my knees all over the place. And after a day or two I'm usually fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Mother nature delivered again today with a 98 degree high, instead of the usual 115 for this time of year. Overcast for the ride home. Only downfall was the mugginess. A good, solid commute today otherwise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    There are probably a million possible causes and a million possible solutions.

But if my knee starts acting up, I try to brush it against the toptube as I'm pedaling. I think I got that from Sheldon Brown:

So I actually deliberately overcorrect, but that helps remind me not to flail my knees all over the place. And after a day or two I'm usually fine.
    Yeah, I know there could be ten million things I could be doing wrong, but I figured I would ask anyway

I did watch my knees for lateral movement on my way home. Does going clipless tend to help this, or no?

Moderator Moderator
    My top 3 causes of knee pain:

#1 (by far) Adding too much mileage or difficulty too quickly. Solution - rest & then dial back. Aim to build up mileage base about 10%/week (max mileage per ride and total mileage per week) for fewer problems.

#2 Saddle to high or low.

#3 Saddle too far fore or aft.

For 2 or 3, either research and adjust, or go to a bike-fitter.

#4 Hills are too steep. Sorry, can't fix that!

Moderator Moderator
    Tried a multi-modal commute so far this week so the new dog would not be home alone so long. So far I've driven about 4 miles to a regional office near the bottom of the hill, parked, and ridden the remaining 8+/- miles. Cutting off 4 miles of uphill on the way home saves pokey me a significant amount of time. Sadly, I also miss the exciting downhill on the way in. I might mix it up and drive in to work, bike all the way home, and the next day ride in and drive home.

mtbr member
    Does going clipless tend to help this, or no?
    I've got pretty terrible knees from when I used to run, and I've deliberately stayed away from clipless. There are plenty of stories of bad clipless setups leading to repetitive use injuries. Obviously clipless can be set up well too, but good flats have given me almost no trouble, so I figure why mess with it?

Long answer short: limited/incorrect float can cause problems.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    My knees are one of my weak links and I ride mostly clipless now. I didn't notice any change when I swapped over from toe clips. All of my pedals are mountain style, either SPD or Time ATAC which offer a lot of float. The time allows you to slide your foot laterally too.

FAST commute in today. I almost broke the 1/2 hour barrier with an average speed of 20.5 on the hilly route.

mtbr member
    Lots of puppies. Might as well add pictures of mine. We rescued her about 7 weeks ago, she's a 6 month old black lab mix (not sure what she's mixed with, 35lbs and the vet doesn't think she's going to get much bigger). Just finished 2 weeks of obedience training. She's doing awesome. Has tons of energy, she'll be a great dog to bring on the trails once her training is complete (darth vader voice).

How was your commute today?-jenny1.jpgHow was your commute today?-jenny2.jpgHow was your commute today?-jenny3.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^good looking dog.

Today the legs were wooden and the 5:55 bus was a no show again. Other than that, great commute. Beautiful weather - sunny and in the mid 50's. Love it.

Two Wheeled Terror
    Man oh man. Best way to wear that dog out is to let the dog drag you down the trails!!

Good commute this morning though. Nice weather and its cooling down.

Hand typed and Telegraphed

mtbr member
    Thanks for the knee advice! (Running never bothers my knees, but it certainly messed up my hip, which is why I am here now!)

I'm sure I'm ramping up the miles too quickly (370 miles in for July so far.) The problem is that cardio and muscle wise, I could bike all day. I have been fiddling with my seat lately, trying to minimize the butt pain. I think I've found a decent position at the moment, so I'm leaving it for the time being. I'm sure the knees are a combination of everything.

I had a lovely ride in today, although I was actually cold. Time to break out the arm warmers for the morning if the temperatures remain like this.

mtbr member
    I did my first commute today. I really enjoyed being outside in the fresh air and seeing the beautiful Arizona landscapes in the morning. I rode to a bus stop and then took the bus the rest of the way. Its a great way to start out the day....really a great way to wake up and destress before going to work. The only thing I worry about is some kid driver texting and taking me out. But, I guess there is risk in everything.