Page 424 of 433 FirstFirst ... 324374414420421422423424425426427428 ... LastLast
Results 21,151 to 21,200 of 21639
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    Too late!

Bad news; What has seen cannot be unseen...

Good news; I don't think that is my issue. I think it is more like too narrow a saddle on my road bike pushing on some soft squishy bits and trapping them between the saddle and sit bone.

Funnily enough, the ride in today was actually pain free... Without changing the saddle, the saddle position or my position on the bike...
    Lucky you....move the seat forward and/or purchase a wider seat....what you describe can certainly cause a rectal access.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Damn straight, honez. This sounds like someone at you place of work has a dislike of cycling and cyclists. Fight the power, brother!

JeffScott, Its strange, the ride home today was pain free too. But I did notice that because Im getting back my fitness after riding while sick for a few weeks that Im on the rivet much more than I have been. It could well be that I wasnt pressing as hard on the pedals, so putting more weight on my ass and my saddle has been an ass hatchet from day one. I was just distributing my weight more away from my butt by pedaling like a damn sexy hero guy when I was healthy.
    My subsequent feeble soft pedaling thanks to being sick with a chest cold put more pressure on my rear as my legs were not taking the weight as much?

Im going for a saddle fitat a nearby bike shop soon, they have a digital gizmo that measures sit bone width, pelvis rotation, differential pressure over the whole ass and many other wonderful things. Could be a real ass saver!

Oh, and my cheap crap chinese carbon cx bike is finally finished! After much filing, sweating and swearing the seat post fitted! Cant wait to swing a leg over it tomorrow to see if it rides as poorly as it was manufactured! Hopefully I dont end up in the ER...

No one calls me Maurice.
    Ghost, hope you're ride goes better than the build.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    rectal access.
    Oh my that might be even worse! j/k
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Nice bike bedwards! That's what I'm in the market for next year, a 27.5+ fs bike. I was looking at the Salsa Pony Rustler but I heard people have been snatching them all up quick! Maybe they will build more next year.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Oh my that might be even worse! j/k
    Hahahaha. Hoooo doggy!

Same old same old lately. Everything is going peachy. The bike commute has been my sanity time more than ever this week. 4 straight 12 hour days, a slightly shorter day tomorrow and then probably at least 6-8 hours in on Saturday and Sunday.

It's cool, I'll just save weight by losing all of my hair.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

Moderator Moderator
    Good rides in bad weather. Rain at 35F then 2" of heavy wet snow by the time I got home - and windy- and the power is blinking. Planning on losing some branches overnight, but home safe. Wait, is it still October?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sorry Bedwards - I totally forgot to congratulate you on your #newbikeday! With those + tyres and full sus it must tackle pretty much everything you can throw at it, huh?

My home yesterday was fraught with danger, excitement and other things that aren't boring... Had a front tyre blow out going round a downhill bend in the road. Managed to keep the bike upright and pulled into the side of the road no problem. Kinda crapped myself a little bit, though...

After close inspection a small flint (half a mm thick and about 5 mm long) had somehow managed to go straight through the center of the tread and spear in to the tube. POOF! it said. Lucky for me I never leave home without a spare toob.

I can't imagine that there is any sort of puncture protection at all in these Vittoria Corsas - I ran Open Pavés for a few months and had not one puncture. Less than two months on Corsas and I've had three...

Craplet actually rides really very nicely. Surprisingly nicely. It proceeds in a forwardly direction when I pedal, shifts gears on demand and stops when I pull the brakes. Even though I (silly me) bought mtb BB7s and not the road version with shorter pull. The levers feel is a little mushy, but the wheels lock up before I run out of pull.

This is what Craplet looks like;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-img_1097.jpg  

How was your commute today?-img_1096.jpg  

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Nice bike bedwards! That's what I'm in the market for next year, a 27.5+ fs bike. I was looking at the Salsa Pony Rustler but I heard people have been snatching them all up quick! Maybe they will build more next year.
    Be careful! A 27.5+ was on my one year horizon and one really good deal later it is in my basement! I couldn't be happier about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Good rides in bad weather. Rain at 35F then 2" of heavy wet snow by the time I got home - and windy- and the power is blinking. Planning on losing some branches overnight, but home safe. Wait, is it still October?
    The real wind is supposed to come in tomorrow, at least here closer to the coast.

I had a chance to catch a ride home last night, nah, it's not raining yet. 10 minutes into the ride it started pouring. By the time I got home I was pouring; Pouring out my shoes, poring out my gloves. No rain gear, just soaked to the bone.

This morning I planned for the rain and it was much better.

mtbr member
    Oh man oh man just a week and two new bikes here. Probably it will take one more week before I get my Rohloff back.

But nice looking bikes, Bedwards and Ghost! Ghost, I think that it is riding pretty good is mostly because of your wrenching skills. Craplets frame only must be straight and within certain tolerances at some points. So I hope it wont fall apart on you anytime soon...

I'd rather be on my bike
    Sorry Bedwards - I totally forgot to congratulate you on your #newbikeday! With those + tyres and full sus it must tackle pretty much everything you can throw at it, huh?

My home yesterday was fraught with danger, excitement and other things that aren't boring... Had a front tyre blow out going round a downhill bend in the road. Managed to keep the bike upright and pulled into the side of the road no problem. Kinda crapped myself a little bit, though...

After close inspection a small flint (half a mm thick and about 5 mm long) had somehow managed to go straight through the center of the tread and spear in to the tube. POOF! it said. Lucky for me I never leave home without a spare toob.

I can't imagine that there is any sort of puncture protection at all in these Vittoria Corsas - I ran Open Pavés for a few months and had not one puncture. Less than two months on Corsas and I've had three...

Craplet actually rides really very nicely. Surprisingly nicely. It proceeds in a forwardly direction when I pedal, shifts gears on demand and stops when I pull the brakes. Even though I (silly me) bought mtb BB7s and not the road version with shorter pull. The levers feel is a little mushy, but the wheels lock up before I run out of pull.

This is what Craplet looks like;
    Looks really good!! What kind of bar tape is that? I have a mostly black with white accent bike that might need this tape.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 66.34/5000

CB of the East
    Yes, Like you tire said: Poof - I am a better mountain biker.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Softer...

Hi everyone, just added a Fabric Cell to my Troll last week.

How was your commute today?-img_1856.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_1863.jpg

The Brooks B17 changed my ideas about saddles a few years ago, I found them very comfortable. However my Troll is my car and it gets ridden to work rain, hail or shine. So in the wet I was always worried about it.

When I changed to a Jones bar awhile back I found it hard to get the saddle setback right. I had a Brooks Cambium and found a good setup with it.

When I first viewed the Fabric Cell the outline of the saddle looked right for me, and the air spring idea seemed promising. A LBS had one and for a small outlay it was worth a try.

Well it does everything it said on the tin, I find the Cell very comfortable, it has the feel of a worn in Brooks. Its moves a little as you ride but still fells firm.

My longest ride so far was about 35KM and over that distance it was more comfortable than the Cambium.

The top of the saddle is very grippy, which I like some might find it too sticky.

I now have a spare Brooks B17 and Cambium that won't be back on the Troll anytime soon.

The Fabric is well worth a look if you liked this shape and width of saddle.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Today was a beautiful day for a commute and I have been trying to dial my road bike in so I took that. Decided to go all out and match the bike wearing all black and white. Since I was doing that, I made sure to have a visible front and rear blinker. Don't always run the front but decided that it would be a good idea today. Went to the bike shop because it was one of those days where when the sun came out, it was blazing hot. Once it disappeared behind the clouds, it was immediately freezing. Decided that the sleeves would come off and I would talk to my buddy more about dialing in the cockpit of this bike. The shop is exactly half way between my apartment and the hospital.

Left the shop and headed west into a fairly strong headwind. Lights are both blinking, Cygolite Metro 320 up front and Cateye Rapid X3 (100 lumens) on the back both in daytime mode. They are both bright so I felt like cars were giving me plenty of room. The bike lane ends, you go under the overpass and then continue on. I used to turn off into the neighborhood because the main street was like a pot hole ridden war zone. It has since been repaved and it really makes the ride in nice. This is where my last incident took place, and I was told that I need to chill out and that I was too angry. Well.......

The road is two lanes each way, center turn lane, and then street parking on both sides. No bike lane was put in even though there is room. Visually, it appears like the right lane is super wide because the parking doesn't get used everywhere up and down the street. I ride in the right lane, just right of the center of the lane to prevent a same lane pass. The speed limit is 30mph. I am moving along just in the mid 20's or so riding properly, not swerving or acting up. Most cars gave me plenty of room and I noticed that a few even dropped wheels into that turn lane to make sure I had room. Not sure if I drifted a bit to the right, but I got passed in my lane by a car. Well, not just a car, but a Sears Driving School car. No passenger, so I assume it was an instructor. There is a Sears that I pass right before the highway underpass and I assume it was from there. This is absolute bullsheet in my opinion. There is no way that a driving instructor should be passing a bike like that. That rear light is very visible and the flash mode that I use draws attention to it as it has two different flashes. I throw my arms up in disbelief, you know the move, we all do it. Like really? You really just did that????

Car passing me in the left lane doesn't like what I did apparently, and the passenger let me know as they passed me with his window down telling me to get off the road. That isn't gonna fly. Catch them at the light and decide to confront since the window was down. I tell him that bikes don't belong on the sidewalk, right as a guy on a bike goes by on the sidewalk. Horrible horrible timing but whatever. They are sure to point that out to me, and I tell them that the guy is in the wrong. He should be in the road. Guy tells me that is what I get for riding in the road. Like it is my fault that a car almost hit me as it passed. This continue on and the light goes green. They are still harassing me from the car and I am ignoring them. As we approach the hospital, I see a city cop waiting to pull out heading west. I re-engage them, and the yelling goes back and forth, and I am getting angry now. Hoping to draw the attention of the cop. As we get to the hospital, they try to speed off. Sure enough, cop passes me, but the light up ahead is red. I decide this is it, gonna end this. Pull up on the passenger side of the cop, and he drops the window. He already knew, but I told him that two cars up, they were harassing me about riding in the road. He nods and pulls in front of me and pulls up along side of them. The conversation starts....light turns green. They pull in front of him, and they both turn off on a side road. Now, I don't know what happened after that as I hopped onto the sidewalk and walked into the hospital parking lot to lock up. Hopefully some education was handed out to these guys.

Not sure what pisses me off more, the pass or the harassment. Now, you can all tell me to calm down, and I am pretty calm right now, but I wasn't earlier when I was locking up at work. I did nothing wrong at all, had my helmet on, was riding responsibly, had proper lighting, obeying speed and traffic laws, etc. Am I wrong here?

NDD
    Baby boy
    I speak for myself when I say I'm usually just kidding about it Tenspeed.

You were right, you tried to reason with those that were wrong. Not saying you should or shouldn't have but it's futile. They'll never get it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Nah TenSpeed, in my opinion you are not in the wrong here. Close passes are ilegal and gesturing / yelling is the cyclists only communication option. We dont tend to have a loud electrical horn. If the guy didnt like your reaction then he shouldnt have given you reason to react. Simple. I would have (and have regularly) avted as you did. Some guys just beg to be yelled at.

As for the bar tape; I cant say the brand exactly, I think it was called "Bike Components" or some such. It was cheap and feels it. It even had manfacturing faults (thin and holed sections in the tape). Pretty nasty cheap chinese stuff. The bar end plugs are some SRAM ones I had laying around too, as the ones from the kit didnt hold in the bars at all, they just dropped out straight away. Were I you I would go for the Cinelli Zebra stripe stuff. I could only find it on line and it aint exactly cheap, but the quality will be a million times better.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Today was unbelievable. Huge home college football rivalry game at noon. Started delivering at 11 and worked until 4. Busy doesn't even begin to describe where we were today. Just inside the store was jam packed pretty much all afternoon with college students. The deliveries were pouring in. The store was doing really really well even when I left. Reached absolute exhaustion by 3:50 and that was it. Thought about staying until 6 or so but that just wasn't going to happen. Set a new personal record for deliveries, speed of a single delivery off campus and tips. Led all drivers with the most deliveries at the end of my shift.

Almost got hit 3 times by cars not paying attention. 15 people throughout the shift walked out in front of me from the sidewalk. 7 cars blocking the bike lane in various spots on campus. 1 person puked outside the store. Broken glass on almost every street. Temp reached 68°F at one point.

Texted a guy I work with, and he said it is still going strong. Manager was hoping to set a new single store record for sales in one day. I think it might happen. We are in the top 5 busiest corporate stores in the country as of last year. A mix of dedicated regular customers and drunk college kids living in the neighborhood behind the store really helps us.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Anyone want their area to be colder? Yesterday I biked about 40 miles of commuting because I did a family favor and then had to bike to university to get work done. It was 80 degrees, which is just too warm for the end of October. It's projected to stay about 70 to 80 through this first week of November. Man I hope they're wrong.

mtbr member
    Hi Folks, back from a week off. Looks like I missed a bit!

- Nice ride Ghost, that looks pretty stealth! Glad you haven't got bot rot....
    - Tenspeed, man you do seem to attract them
    - Honez, Like your style, that's some cool content in your complaint, their response will be interesting for sure.
    - Bedwards, Nice ride there too, Scott make some sweet looking rides.

Been warm here for the last week, I've been in T-shirt most days. Today is the same although the ride in was foggy. Had my jacket on which I think was a good choice. I was literally steaming when I was locking my bike.

Clocks went back Saturday night so it'll be dark when I leave work. Be my first rural commute in the dark so we'll see how that goes and if my lights are up to the job.
    2017 - 180/4000 commute miles
    2016 - 3357/3000 commute miles

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Anyone want their area to be colder? Yesterday I biked about 40 miles of commuting because I did a family favor and then had to bike to university to get work done. It was 80 degrees, which is just too warm for the end of October. It's projected to stay about 70 to 80 through this first week of November. Man I hope they're wrong.
    I will trade you. It is currently 31°F right now. I will be leaving in about an hour and a half. Only supposed to hit low 50's today and be mostly cloudy. Really love riding in shorts and a short sleeve jersey vs what I will have on today to deliver.

No one calls me Maurice.
    I'll take anything above 30 and be happy. I ride down to 10F, but it's not my preferred temp range. As I get older I find my tolerance for sub-zero conditions (and the associated ice) to be less each year. Honestly, what I'd prefer is to keep the afternoon temp within 10 degrees of the morning commute (whatever it is/was) so I don't have to pack my stuff home.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I will trade you. It is currently 31°F right now. I will be leaving in about an hour and a half. Only supposed to hit low 50's today and be mostly cloudy. Really love riding in shorts and a short sleeve jersey vs what I will have on today to deliver.
    Sold. Get ready for the St. Louis area to send you some weather.

I'm ok between 0 and 100F, so I can't really complain but I'm just thinking it's usually a bit cooler by now.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    0C misty rainy....snow in the mountains

mtbr member
    Good ride in this AM. Heatwave. 42F at my house. 36 in town. A little bit icy in spots, but nothing much in the way of excitement or adventure. Just another day of riding.

I'd rather be on my bike
    You should try some of my commutes as we get closer to winter. I will have entirely different outfits sometimes for the ride home. Leaving in the afternoon sounds like it would be good, but really it causes some issues because the temp change can often be almost 30° or more depending on the day/weather.

mtbr member
    Temperatures hit 18C / 65F here yesterday. When I left at 6pm in the dark it was still 12C / 54F. I already know I'm in the car tomorrow but it is supposed to be down to 2C / 36F in the morning and the following days.

Light does the job, could do with a little more focus but was plenty good enough for the unlit roads.

mtbr member
    weather was so nice this morning in New Jersey but I need to find my skullcap! I also traded in my fatbike for the road bike today to change it up a little (and go 2x as fast!)
    Feel the Bern!!!

mtbr member
    Meh. Temps were decent, but windy in the Valley.

Worse - my quads are a bit blown-up still after a 10K run on Sunday night with the first 5K all uphill (just under 1k feet of climb) followed by 5K of descent. I find that when it's been a while since I've done sustained downhill running that it takes my quads a few days to recover. The last time was a bit more extreme - 3k feet of climb in about 3 miles followed by the same back down) it took me a good week and a half to recover completely. So the ride has been less enjoyable than it should be. Oh well. Quite icy in spots and even with studs almost went down this morning on a tight curve on my route. Good times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    No ice here in Oslo yet. It has been greasy and wet - the sort of weather that turns road crud into a fine grinding paste that gets into all your mechanical bits...

We are set to drop below zero tonight for the first time this year (in this area). Lucky me that my delivery of wood for the oven in the kitchen / fire in the lounge comes this evening - I was running out!

Been commuting on my beloved carbon Craplet lately - I just couldn't bring my self to torture my road bike with the soggy conditions. Plus I curse myself every time I brake in the wet on my carbon rims (the sound is horrible - much like the stopping power).

Slightly soggy ride in this morning, but the ride home should be clear and slightly warmer (well, 5C to 6C or so which beats 2C this morning).

But tomorrow shall be below zero and looks set to stay that way! Snow is forecast over the weekend too. Almost time for the studs to come out!

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Meh. Temps were decent, but windy in the Valley.

Worse - my quads are a bit blown-up still after a 10K run on Sunday night with the first 5K all uphill (just under 1k feet of climb) followed by 5K of descent. I find that when it's been a while since I've done sustained downhill running that it takes my quads a few days to recover. The last time was a bit more extreme - 3k feet of climb in about 3 miles followed by the same back down) it took me a good week and a half to recover completely. So the ride has been less enjoyable than it should be. Oh well. Quite icy in spots and even with studs almost went down this morning on a tight curve on my route. Good times.
    Running downhill sucks, especially for us non-runners. That sounds similar to the "run" up the mountain at the end of the tri I do every year. The quads scream for a while after that.

How was my commute today? More painful than I hoped for because of this:
    The Candid Cyclist: Got the Crash on the New Bike Out of the Way Early

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute for me. Rain and storms this afternoon and into the evening. Getting soft over here.

mtbr member
    Sorry about the rib(s) and the race, Bedwards. Could have been worse. No face plant into a tree trunk.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Well, today was a great day to skip a commute and drive in. As I got about half way to work, the skies opened up and dumped inches of rain. The streets started to flood with how much rain we got. Lightning and thunder and the wind picked up. Visibility in the car was down to about a block if that. There is no way that I would feel safe on a bike. Rained pretty much all day, and then when I got out of work, yeah, it was still raining.

mtbr member
    Trees make pretty tough crash mats Bedwards, kudos for still commuting in the next day.

Sounds like that was a good call Tenspeed

First properly cold (for UK) commute this year. 1C / 33F. I could really do with sorting some longs/tights if this continues which seems likely for the immediate future.

Also the rear brake cable broke about a mile out. Not too bad, I can work with that. When the front one broke a while back the bike was pretty unstoppable on just the rear brake, although I have swapped out components since then. Still, it'll have to do till the weekend, no bike shop in this reasonable size town where I work that I've been able to find yet...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sounds biblical, TenSpeed. The thing with riding in that sort of weather is that you need to concentrate on avoiding the slippy as eff road markings AND the eejit drivers who can't see but won't slow down because they are drivers, dammit!

Had two round-about related incidents lately. Yesterday on the way home and today on the way in.

Yesterdays round about fun was just dumb - there is one road on the way home where these is a nicely demarcated cycle lane.
    But... it pops in and out of existence - it stops at junctions only to start again after and completely disappears just before the round about at the end of the road...
    So - I was in the cycle lane, just coming up to the round about - I was going right, 1st exit, so I kept myself over to the right and signaled. I looked over my left shoulder, as I could hear a car coming up on me. Fast. Yes - it was indicating right and was edging closer and closer - it was obvious that they had planned to try to squeeze past me on the round about.
    A dic*head move that would have squeezed me into the kerb. I ducked down and looked into the driver window and yelled "you can f*king well wait your turn". The middle aged woman driving didn't look too happy at that, but she bloody well waited to go by me until after we had cleared the round about. Yes - she roared past me (fair enough giving me a wide berth) only to be cycled past again when she met the traffic that always forms at rush hour on that road...

This morning was pretty much the same - big round about with two lanes + cycle lane. I was in the cycle lane (which is over on the right) and planning on going straight ahead. I move out on the the round about, because the traffic on 1st exit has stopped, only for an idiot in a black BMW X5 to come roaring round me in the inside lane (for going left, last exit) and then decide that he wants to go right. Completely cut me up and then had to brake hard because the traffic on the 1st exit was standing still (i.e. stopping right in front of me). I had to brake hard to avoid t-boning him and go around, whilst cursing him out in two languages...

Other than that it's all good. My back aches from carrying 21 40kg bags of wood last night (I ordered 20 bags, received 21 bags and paid for 24.5 bags - these wood delivery guys are really very special people) took the roadie today because it is dry and sunny and only -3C. Set to warm up a little later in the day then drop like a stone until spring...
    Snow is forecast this evening... Time for the studs to come out, me thinks!

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Also the rear brake cable broke about a mile out. Not too bad, I can work with that. When the front one broke a while back the bike was pretty unstoppable on just the rear brake, although I have swapped out components since then. Still, it'll have to do till the weekend, no bike shop in this reasonable size town where I work that I've been able to find yet...
    I can honestly say I've never let a brake cable go till the point that it breaks. Usually they get so much friction ahead of that point that they get replaced. That's some impressive neglect.

Hey Ghost, must have been the day for it. Somebody passed me and immediately took a right in front of me into a gas (petrol) station. I followed him in and asked if those 2 seconds were that important to him. By the end he admitted he was wrong, probably just trying to get rid of me.

Didn't ride today. I'm going to give the ribs a rest day and then determine if I can race on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I feel you bedwards - I actually get the urge to do bodily damage, to actually beat on these people with my mini pump. I'm not a violent guy, but when someone nearly breaks one of my beloved bikes just because they are inattentive / stupid / in a hurry and really think that saving two seconds by cutting me up in their 1500kg steel box is gonna make a big difference then all bets are off. Everybody out of the pool. I'm going to loose my sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Didn't see this - lucky break for you, huh? Baboom tsh!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Ghost - traffic circles there sound like a nightmare. I only encounter one of those on my commute luckily. Not sure if it is the driver education or the layout of how the circle works that is just dumb.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Last night I checked the forecast. Small chance of rain. I can deal with that. I rode out, lots of lightning and very little spitting rain. Got to about 3.5 miles from home when the sky opened up. Totally soaked, no visibility, lightning everywhere. It was a trip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    On the trip home today I get passed by a black Audi station wagon on a flipping
    round-about!!! He is weaving around and coming into my lane. I take a good look at the driver and guess what? Yepp, driving one handed with his cell glued to his earhole. Twunt that he is.

Caught a few snowflakes too, and quite a pretty sunset, so not all bad...

CB of the East
    I think the predictive text on my phone is starting to get to know me.
    How was your commute today?-2782.jpg

NDD
    Baby boy
    ^ oh you and your clean mouthed predictive text. Mine isn't smart, otherwise it'd be a botanical glossary with cuss words in it.

Great rides today. Tonight coming home was a bit chilly. Just right for me.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Great commute all around. No incidents with cars. Ride home was a bit chilly for me as well. Supposed to be nice now for the next week. Time to get some miles in.

mtbr member
    Rode part of the way home with a colleague, he was commenting on the brightness of my light compared to his on the unlit country roads. Not sure what exactly but he's running two little Cateye rechargeable things. I said they must be reasonable so covered mine with my hand. OMG, it was dreadful! I think the torch on my smartphone puts out more light. Like trying to drive your car on sidelights only rather than main beam. I told him he was brave and bid him good luck as our ways parted soon after.

A little warmer than yesterday this morning, rain set to move in through the day.

mtbr member

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

I'd rather be on my bike
    Chilly ride home this evening. Arm warmers that I absolutely loved when I got them went in the trash when I got home. They lost their elasticity and were pretty much garbage after the first day I used them. 20° temperature difference from the time I rode in to the time I rode home. Mid 60's in November in Michigan? OK, I will take that.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Chilly ride home this evening. Arm warmers that I absolutely loved when I got them went in the trash when I got home. They lost their elasticity and were pretty much garbage after the first day I used them. 20° temperature difference from the time I rode in to the time I rode home. Mid 60's in November in Michigan? OK, I will take that.
    I've never had much luck with arm warmers either. I did see that Bontrager just came out with a jacket with removable arms and a removable back panel. I haven't seen one in person yet, but it could be feasible.

CB of the East
    Same here. 45F on the way in and closer to 25F on the way home with an icy headwind.

Moderator Moderator
    Good rides here, but it's been a wet stretch. I don't think I've ever used the heavier Showers Pass jacket as much as this year. It's perfect for wet weather if the temp is around freezing, but too hot much above that.

Roundabouts have been problematic lately here too. Drivers stopping mid-roundabout when they have the right of way, etc. etc.

I put some alpaca insoles in the 5.10's, and they are noticeably cozier, at least when new.

Put a little Infini Lava USB rechargeable blinkie on the helmet, it is really nice. Never heard of them, but the LBS recommended it.

mtbr member
    I rode only last Thursday, 1 day in the whole week. My bike is still not back. The Rohloff Hub was back in the LBS on Thursday and they suddenly realized that they need to order the correct spokes for me. They could have done that during the last 3 weeks already but they didn't. With that kind of German efficiency I always wonder how those big shops survive. So I guess my bike will be ready to go by the end of next week. Could very well be that I have no time to pick it up during the evening this week and have to wait until Saturday morning. We'll see. Anyway it is 3 weeks without bike now and I really feel pretty crappy. Feel less awake when I get to work and last week I started to wake up during the night several times without any reason.
    Today I got the 2nd bike rideable but it is still missing rack and lights. Especially lights are an issue by now. At least some day it will be ready, if my main bike is breaking down again I will have a spare and will not be grounded.
    How do you guys cope when you have no bike available??

At least I am still reading here.

Bedwards: At least you didn't loose another tooth....get well soon!

Tenspeed: Not nice to hear that. I just got a pair of neon yellow Gore Armwarmers for 50% off. Hope they last longer than one ride. Did you not have any warranty on them anymore?

Slipspace: I see more and more roadies here that have a front wheel with a dynamohub and corresponding lights. I have a B&M Cyo something with 80lux that does the job very well. B&M even has a 100+ lux lamp now, apparently the first one to go through the 100lux barrier. Might want to advise that to your collegue. A good battery light with the same light output can not be that much cheaper and you dont have to worry about charging the light anymore.

Last but not least:

QUESTION TO EVERYONE:
    I am looking for a helmet with following features:
    -Bug netting at the front ventilation holes
    -Blinking light on the back of the helmet
    -MIPS system.

My current helmet ticks first 2 boxes but I havent found a helmet that has all features.

Suggestions are welcome.

Keep riding and stay safe everyone!