Page 421 of 421 FirstFirst ... 321371411417418419420421
Results 21,001 to 21,018 of 21018
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honez1414 View Post
    It's a shower area that no one uses but me...it's awesome to have. But the site administrator decided that if all 500 employees did the same thing...we'd have a problem. I know take my riding clothes and towel out to my bike (front and center to entrance) and hang everything out to dry. My long term goal is to make it look like I'm homeless so that the plant manager asks about the riff raff outside.
    Ah! The solution looking for a problem! Someone messing up his nice neat shower facility by actually using it. Made me wonder if there was room for you to place your own personal rack in there. Your solution is nice. Does the plant get visited by anyone higher up than the plant manager who will see your "drying rack"? If so, and the plant manager does not see the error of the decision, he likely will have it pointed out.

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Ah! The solution looking for a problem! Someone messing up his nice neat shower facility by actually using it. Made me wonder if there was room for you to place your own personal rack in there. Your solution is nice. Does the plant get visited by anyone higher up than the plant manager who will see your "drying rack"? If so, and the plant manager does not see the error of the decision, he likely will have it pointed out.
    You're definitely wise to my plan.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bedwards Of The West
    Came super close to hitting a little Bambi this morning... two fawns and mom were grazing on the shoulder (between the road and a big wall-o-bushes that they couldn't get through) ...mom and one baby just hugged up against the bushes as I came up to them, but baby #2 took off paralleling me along the shoulder, then SCREAMED LIKE A GOAT I KID YOU NOT WHO KNEW DEER COULD MAKE GOAT NOISES!!! ...and it almost veered into my front tire while in goat mode. I locked up the rear and I think the sound scared it back down toward the bushes...it slowed, I passed, and peace returned to the commute.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Came super close to hitting a little Bambi this morning... two fawns and mom were grazing on the shoulder (between the road and a big wall-o-bushes that they couldn't get through) ...mom and one baby just hugged up against the bushes as I came up to them, but baby #2 took off paralleling me along the shoulder, then SCREAMED LIKE A GOAT I KID YOU NOT WHO KNEW DEER COULD MAKE GOAT NOISES!!! ...and it almost veered into my front tire while in goat mode. I locked up the rear and I think the sound scared it back down toward the bushes...it slowed, I passed, and peace returned to the commute.
    I was mountain biking years ago when I came across a baby deer and there was no sign of it's momma anywhere. I spoke sweetly to it and it seemed to really like the attention. Pretty sure I didn't pet him/her or anything. Anyway, I get going on my ride and about a half kilometer away I sense something behind me. It's the fawn! I keep going...it keeps following. When I got back to my car it had followed me all the way to the parking lot. I felt terrible as I loaded up my bike and drove away. Knowing that either it was orphaned and alone or that somehow it had followed me quite some distance and perhaps become lost from its mother. There's a lot of cougars where I live so I'm guessing things didn't end well for the cute little fella.

For those wondering about the "throat punch" incident it was actually an accidental collision with a tourist who wandered into the bike path (while staring at his phone) where several of us were going quite quickly. I ended up colliding with them but fortunately had scrubbed off most of my speed that injuries on both of our parts were minor. I did, somehow, get him in the throat though and it took him a couple of minutes to be able to talk and breathe normally. He didn't speak much English but we shared a somewhat embarrased few minutes ensuring each other was ok. Eventually I went on my way and yelled "go back to where you came from, ya daft twat!" Just kidding, I just gave him a friendly wave.
    Bike angry.

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    Does anyone try to incorporate interval training into their commute? My ride is 15 miles one way and I was thinking of adding some "time crunched cyclist" intervals to help out the xc racing.

CB of the East
    Like this? Where are you commuting from/to.

mtbr member
    Uff Bedwards, I had the same tooth issue once - that suxx big time. Good luck with that.

CB: Speaking of Bambi's, I saw a roe deer this morning for the first time after a long time. Haven't seen any boars for a long time too.

Commutes are quite ok. Weather was fairly calm so far, quite sunny und little or no winds. Tomorrow however its gonna get cloudy, chance of rain and quite windy, forecast says gusts upto 70kmh / 35mph. Had to happen some day....but I will miss those easy sunny commutes that scream for a detour.

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Like this? Where are you commuting from/to.
    Commuting to and from work. Thinking of adding the intervals to the morning ride. Usually on the bike before 5 am with very little traffic. I wouldn't try it during the afternoon ride home because volume of traffic. I do the commute just to stay in riding shape for weekend trail rides. Commuting via singletrack would be heaven.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by honez1414 View Post
    Does anyone try to incorporate interval training into their commute? My ride is 15 miles one way and I was thinking of adding some "time crunched cyclist" intervals to help out the xc racing.

Sure, why not. Is hammering out Strava segments considered interval training? If so then yes. Don't believe the crap that you can't train on a commute. 90% of my riding is commuting and 0% of my riding is "training" but I can hold my own against a lot of the local racers. The most important thing is to mix it up. Ride hard one day, ride really easy another, do some intervals on another.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Commuting has been ok lately - no throat punches, screaming goat children or anything of the sort, really. Monday saw me get my second puncture of the year. I was on the mtb and came out at the end of the working day to a completely flat front tyre. Must have picked up something on the way in. I had a spare tube with me. A 700c x 19 - 28mm one. My mtb is a 26er.

I just used my trusty mini pump to get some air in it - it held - and I rode like heck to get back before the thing went soft again. By the end of the 20 km ride there was considerable slop in the handling and way more rolling resistance than normal...

The little one had a fever yesterday so I stayed home - it was nice - just chilling out watching Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, Dora the Explorer, Winnie the Pooh (Ole Brum to us Scandinavian types), reading books, playing with kids toys... Good times.

Had a storm last night - crazy wind and rain, but this morning was nice and sunny. Took the roadie (still haven't mended my mtb puncture) and played "jump the fallen branch - avoid the wet slippy leaves"" on the way to work - went ok, too.

I also ordered the last parts for my China Carbon Craplet commuter. All I need now its bar tape and time to build the thing - then I can put the roadie to bed for the winter.

One more thing - is white and black tiger stripe bar tape a cool thing? Or a wee bit too "Mario Cippolini"?

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I picked one of the first rainy days all summer to pick up bike commuting again. I must say I continue to be disappointed in what biking gear makers call "waterproof". Here are some definitions:
    Water Resistant: Garment will not dissolve
    Water Repellent: Water will be repelled to the inside of the garment.
    Waterproof: Garment will not soak through in less than 15 minutes
    Extremely Waterproof: Garment will not soak through in less than 16 minutes
    Rain Gear: Garment will become wetter on the inside than the rain on the outside.
    Too funny! So true. I will say my new panniers have lived up to waterproof, meaning that after a solid 45 minutes of getting rained on during the commute, I was relieved to find everything in the bags was dry. Me in my rain gear...not so much.

Today purdy dang windy. I'm guessing the wind will shift before tonight and set me up for a headwind both ways. Always feels that way.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    One more thing - is white and black tiger stripe bar tape a cool thing? Or a wee bit too "Mario Cippolini"?
    I am using this on a gloss black carbon bike with some white accents on it. Is it cool? Absolutely!!!!! Lizard Skins DSP 2.5mm btw (not my picture)

Commute in was good. Delivery was good - tips were good. Worked at the bike shop until 6. Light rain and mist for the ride home. Getting darker earlier and much cooler. Could have used some sleeves for the ride home.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3281/6000

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    playing with kids toys... Good times.

All I need now its bar tape and time to build the thing - then I can put the roadie to bed for the winter.

For whoever is old enough to remember the fuzzy "tiger tail" things you could get at an Esso station to hang on your bike handlebars, I think those were much cooler, but tigers never go out of style!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    For whoever is old enough to remember the fuzzy "tiger tail" things you could get at an Esso station to hang on your bike handlebars, I think those were much cooler, but tigers never go out of style!
    Saw one of those "Put a Tiger in Your Tank" at a gas station this summer in Ohio.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ok! Black and white tiger (zebra, if you will) stripe bar tape it is, then!
    This is going on a raw carbon (so basically black) finish bike, with a white saddle.
    Probably not the best color combination for a winter commuter bike, but that's why we have lights, right?

No riding for me today - took the bus. I have a Contract, Procurement, Purchasing, Legal, Risk Management seminar type thing this afternoon.

It's raining quite a bit outside anyway, so no big loss...

mtbr member
    Post a pic when you are done Ghost!

Change of weather here. Still fairly warm, 16C in the morning, ~20C in the afternoon. But we got 20kts wind by now with gusts up to 35kts. Had to ride against that a while on the way home today and yesterday, but most of the route is more or less sheltered, so it didnt bother me too much. And this evening, it even RAINED for 5 minutes.

I am seeing progress on the construction site I am riding through every day at the moment. They teared out the small MUP already and start to rebuild it. If I interprete everything correctly, it will get about 30cm/1ft wider than before. I hope it is finished and rideable in about 2-3 weeks.

mtbr member
    First commute in about a week for me, had a terrible cold, I didn't know my body was capable of producing so much snot. Now time for a 3 day weekend and some playtime on the mtb!
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

NDD
    Baby boy
    First day in 6 weeks I didn't ride home. Feeling sick and exhausted. It was raining and I got a ride. Did get a flat on my ride in. Put in a new tube and made it with only minutes to spare.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm