Page 418 of 418 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418
Results 20,851 to 20,878 of 20878
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Quite ****ty weather on my way home. rained like hell. I didnt care though. since my bike has golden fenders! I was wearing swimming shorts I got just as wet as if i had taken a swim. People were loading up their bikes on a trailer at work today. apparantly some competition this weekend.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Weights on the bike has a double effect, I find. On the one hand you are slower to get up to speed/climb but faster on the descents and hold speed easier on the flat. Swings and roundabouts, as they say.

Speaking of roundabouts, I had my second off of the season today... Driver blocked the round about and I decided to go around. It had one of those slippery decorative kerb things in the middle. I came at it at an oblique angle and the front wheel tracked up and over the kerb ok, the back not so much... It slid along the kerb edge and ended up throwing me off the bike. It was peeing down rain you see... Left knee, right thigh are a bit bruised but my bike is a-ok. My pride took the biggest hit, though...

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Quite ****ty weather on my way home. rained like hell. I didnt care though. since my bike has golden fenders! I was wearing swimming shorts I got just as wet as if i had taken a swim. People were loading up their bikes on a trailer at work today. apparantly some competition this weekend.
    I thought I was the only one around these parts to wear swim shorts when it rains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    Weights on the bike has a double effect, I find. On the one hand you are slower to get up to speed/climb but faster on the descents and hold speed easier on the flat. Swings and roundabouts, as they say.

Speaking of roundabouts, I had my second off of the season today... Driver blocked the round about and I decided to go around. It had one of those slippery decorative kerb things in the middle. I came at it at an oblique angle and the front wheel tracked up and over the kerb ok, the back not so much... It slid along the kerb edge and ended up throwing me off the bike. It was peeing down rain you see... Left knee, right thigh are a bit bruised but my bike is a-ok. My pride took the biggest hit, though...
    Take care of yourself now!

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Nice vid CB!

I dont wear swimshorts on the bike but similar quick drying stuff, like outdoor zip-off pants etc. When it rains and it is warm enough I just get wet and let it dry again or changebat the end.of the ride. This way I am not hauling around my raingear all summer and I get wet only 1-2 times a year (rain radars rule).

~ B A D A S S ~
    I get wet a lot. But i dont care. its only water. I like the winter though. it can't rain when its below 0C then it snows.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the 1st place Bedwards! Cool video CB, and good thing the bike is Ok Ghost! That sucks on the crash, I nearly wiped out the other day on one of those slipery metal utility covers on a sidewalk today. Local police on dual sport motorcycles have been cracking down on the tweakers living on the trail and in the tunnels/bridges. Bout time! It was getting bad. One on a bridge today was in cuffs and the cop was rummaging through his shopping cart full of crap. They are making a mess of everything leaving mattresses and furniture and garbage and human waste all over the place, it's really gross.

NDD what are your plans for the bikepacking? I think it's a blast.
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

NDD
    Baby boy
    ^ Eugene, I'm thinking about taking a couple days to bike around the Missouri Ozarks this autumn. Got a new pannier setup, tent, and hammock.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

since 4/10/2009
    Don't think I'm going to bike in this morning. Real gully washer of a storm with pretty vigorous lightning, and yet another tornado.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    They let you in church with the music that you listen to?

I loved the video. Especially how the music stops in the middle, nice touch. Who's the artist? Did you get the song I posted to one of your Strava rides?

RollingRunner of the west, I like it. Speaking of THAT and triathlons that you don't have to swim in... RollingRunner & CB of the east swept The Great Adventure Challenge (2.5 Mile Kayak, 16 mile MTB and 2 mile run with 1300' of gain then loss). My quads still hurt. I took first overall, she took first woman overall. Woot!
    2016 Race Results | The Great Adventure Challenge

Commute was good as always. It has been a perfect summer to be in Maine!

Video music: NEEDTOBREATHE, "Don't Bring that Trouble" off the new album HARDLOVE. Great band.

Totally dug that song you linked on Strava... that backbeat stomp kind of stuff just works for me. I could almost enjoy running if I had that song on the iPod.

Major result on the adventure tri thing! Dang! Don't go expecting that on this side of the country this weekend...haha.

Question: What do you do about shoes/pedals? Changing shoes sounds like a drag... I'm thinking about putting flats on for the relatively short bike (7 miles).... is that stupid? The bike leg of this is on a twisty bike-path kind of thing.... not going to be fast or even really road bike friendly. I'm riding the 'cross bike.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I get wet a lot. But i dont care. its only water. I like the winter though. it can't rain when its below 0C then it snows.
    Just out of curiosity:
    I guesstimate you are located somewhere pretty far up north? No need to be very specific, but I have the impression that you are in a pretty harsh climate: Lots of rain in summer, very cold in winter. Would let me guess somewhere like Norwegian or Alaska coastal area.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the first place Bedwards and RR!

In my kayaking club we have the same thing every year but as many people got kids the last years, it turned more into some kind of family gathering. Some pics are here of the last time I could join (I am the only one bringing a kid this time)
    Wassersport-Verein Süderelbe - Kanusport in Hamburg-Harburg und Wilhelmsburg - Paddler-Triathlon 2014 | Berichte Leistungssport

Who organised it? Did you have to bring your own gear?

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Video music: NEEDTOBREATHE, "Don't Bring that Trouble" off the new album HARDLOVE. Great band.
    Thanks, I typed in the lyrics and found them on my own and realized that they were a Christian rock band which made my comment even funnier. I like the song, I like it even more with your video.

Totally dug that song you linked on Strava... that backbeat stomp kind of stuff just works for me. I could almost enjoy running if I had that song on the iPod.
    You should appreciate this too. I listened to it without the intro and just couldn't place it even though I knew all the words. This is a fun version. All their stuff is worth a listen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T9qzicML0c

Major result on the adventure tri thing! Dang! Don't go expecting that on this side of the country this weekend...haha.

Question: What do you do about shoes/pedals? Changing shoes sounds like a drag... I'm thinking about putting flats on for the relatively short bike (7 miles).... is that stupid? The bike leg of this is on a twisty bike-path kind of thing.... not going to be fast or even really road bike friendly. I'm riding the 'cross bike.
    Nobody faster than me showed up. The field varies so much. People finishing in the 4+ hour range look at the people in the front of the pack like they are Gods.

I've thought of switching to flats but this year I just did the hike in my MTB shoes and that was great. I've got a pair of Shimano shoes that are good off the bike. The bike course in my race varies from tared road to a rocky descent that a lot of people walk. I like to stay clipped to keep me and the bike together. (RollingRunner knows this from embedding a chainring in her calf this morning on her MTB, her left calf) In your case I would think flats would be the best way to go. I recently road my road bike that is up for sale with pegged flats and turned out one of my fastest commutes ever. I think being clipped is over-rated.

Good Luck Man! Same to RR of the West.

mtbr member
    Commuted for the first time ever today to work, though, I'm a long time mountain biker. I had "I don't think you're ready for this jelly" stuck in my head but I was smiling and laughing all the way to work.

CB of the East
    Smiling & Laughing on the way to work, imagine how happy you will be on the way home!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Congrats on the first place Bedwards and RR!

In my kayaking club we have the same thing every year but as many people got kids the last years, it turned more into some kind of family gathering. Some pics are here of the last time I could join (I am the only one bringing a kid this time)
    Wassersport-Verein Süderelbe - Kanusport in Hamburg-Harburg und Wilhelmsburg - Paddler-Triathlon 2014 | Berichte Leistungssport

Who organised it? Did you have to bring your own gear?
    Couldn't read a word of that but the pics looked good.

This race is a fundraiser for adults with learning disabilities. The race director is great and devotes his summer to putting on the race. Yes, you have to bring all your own gear. People in the Epic Surfski kayaks have a huge advantage in the kayak leg. I'll post some links when they are done.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I didn't mean for it to happen like this. I left the house today to ride to the bike shop to work all day. Somehow I guess I kitted myself up pretty well because when I got there, the manager (my friend) said I looked absolutely "pro af". I felt pretty good on the ride in, even gave a little chase to a guy who was really hauling in the bike lane. He ended up running a red light and I stopped so I never caught back up to him. The ride home was really good and when I left the shop I looked at myself in the window and you know, I did look pretty pro. Not sure how it happened, just grabbed a jersey, shorts and socks and it just all happened to match colorwise and brand as well.

I really wish that I could deliver in just spandex shorts for Jimmy John's but there is no way that is happening. Dress code says black athletic or khaki shorts are to be worn over spandex if you wear those. If they made JJ bibs I would wear those if I could. Feels so much cooler in just one pair of shorts instead of two.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 2963/6000

Moderator Moderator
    I loved the video. Especially how the music stops in the middle, nice touch.

Speaking of THAT and triathlons that you don't have to swim in... RollingRunner & CB of the east swept The Great Adventure Challenge (2.5 Mile Kayak, 16 mile MTB and 2 mile run with 1300' of gain then loss). My quads still hurt. I took first overall, she took first woman overall. Woot!
    +1 on your video, CB, great idea on stopping the music!
    Wow, that is super-impressive bedwards & rollingrunner, you 2 are crazy fit.

Moderator Moderator
    Some good rides this week, but bikecommuting was complicated by:
    a) Friend's truck lost brakes so I gave him a lift
    b) Took Wednesday off to go paddling and swimming and loonwatching on a beautiful day
    c) No running water. I found a leak in the basement (pressure tank) and had to turn off the water pump until it is fixed.
    d) Court for work on Friday

A couple pix my friend took at Green River Reservoir
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-loon.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

CB of the East
    Some pictures from our camping weekend. There were a ton of pictures taken at the event but they aren't posted yet.

The Candid Cyclist: Camping Century, Mount Chocorua & The Great Adventure Challenge

~ B A D A S S ~
    my reading comprehesion sucks apparantly.....

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Just out of curiosity:
    I guesstimate you are located somewhere pretty far up north? No need to be very specific, but I have the impression that you are in a pretty harsh climate: Lots of rain in summer, very cold in winter. Would let me guess somewhere like Norwegian or Alaska coastal area.
    We're on the same continent.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey Car Bone, if youre from the same place as me (Norway) then the competition could be Birkebeinerittet? 94 km gravel/xc race? If not, then probably something else...

I just pulled the trigger on my china carbon disc cx frameset (to build up a winter commuter) today. May god, the bank manager and my wife forgive me!

mtbr member
    We're on the same continent.
    Thanks - thats enough ;o))

I'd rather be on my bike
    Missed a huge huge huge storm by about 45 minutes. Weather looked horrible on the radar but outside, nothing. Leave to ride to the bike shop, and of course, you know what happens next. It starts to rain. OK, knew the possibility was there. Not more than a heavier sprinkle I would say. Get to the shop still dry enough. Sky starts to clear up, and then it gets dark, and unloads on us again. Manager walks to go get some pizza, and he comes back in the worst of it, downpour with lightning and thunder. He opens the door and walks in as a crack of thunder goes off. It was like out of a movie. We turn to look and he is just there, in a dark rain coat, head down, with the hood up. The only thing not scary about it is he is carrying a pizza box and stopped to get some ice cream on the way back. It was absolutely comical.

Stopped raining early enough so that the humidity was the only thing that caused me to be drenched as I got home. Reminiscent of a Louisiana swamp out there right now. Half expecting to see some gators out in the pond behind my building.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Thanks - thats enough ;o))
    Me and HTX are almost neighbours

Specialized sucks ass.

Bedwards Of The West
    Thanks, I typed in the lyrics and found them on my own and realized that they were a Christian rock band which made my comment even funnier. I like the song, I like it even more with your video.
    I'd call them more of a rock band that has Christians in it and that sneaks out from time to time... they get with it and then they also get it, if you get me.

You should appreciate this too. I listened to it without the intro and just couldn't place it even though I knew all the words. This is a fun version. All their stuff is worth a listen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T9qzicML0c
    OK that was pretty awesome. That one naughty word or that would make my facebook wall... That transports me straight back to college in SoCal.

Good Luck Man! Same to RR of the West.
    Thanks... survived. I think I was 7th in my age group? something like 43rd overall (including 3 person teams, so better among individuals). Somewhere around 200 entries. So a solid upper mid-pack finish. haha. I could have been faster on the bike and the kayak... wasn't sure how kayaking would feel after biking, and never really biked after running before... after a few minutes on the kayak I realized I could have completely destroyed myself on the bike and not really been any slower on the kayak. Need some better equipment there also... I borrowed a not-so-fast kayak. That's a fairly important piece of equipment, turns out.

RR of the West was 2nd in her age group among the ladies. I think 7th female finisher overall? I married up...

Super fun event though. I'll be back...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Two Wheeled Terror
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Missed a huge huge huge storm by about 45 minutes. Weather looked horrible on the radar but outside, nothing. Leave to ride to the bike shop, and of course, you know what happens next. It starts to rain. OK, knew the possibility was there. Not more than a heavier sprinkle I would say. Get to the shop still dry enough. Sky starts to clear up, and then it gets dark, and unloads on us again. Manager walks to go get some pizza, and he comes back in the worst of it, downpour with lightning and thunder. He opens the door and walks in as a crack of thunder goes off. It was like out of a movie. We turn to look and he is just there, in a dark rain coat, head down, with the hood up. The only thing not scary about it is he is carrying a pizza box and stopped to get some ice cream on the way back. It was absolutely comical.

Stopped raining early enough so that the humidity was the only thing that caused me to be drenched as I got home. Reminiscent of a Louisiana swamp out there right now. Half expecting to see some gators out in the pond behind my building.
    I was fortunate enough to have the day off yesterday so I was trying to skim coat some walls inside the house. I thought the rain was done and then it just dumped everywhere. Glad you weren't trying to deliver dry sandwiches at that moment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'd rather be on my bike
    Today was hot and sticky humid. Extra delivery shift since this is the last weekend before the college starts up and it is welcome weekend. The forum doesn't have enough bandwidth for me to list the near misses and stupid actions by drivers and pedestrians alike that I experienced in a 4 hour shift. Ride home this evening was nothing to write home about. Drunk people everywhere and lots of drivers simply not paying attention.

CB of the East
    Thanks... survived. I think I was 7th in my age group? something like 43rd overall (including 3 person teams, so better among individuals).
    Teams are "cheaters"!

Upper mid pack is where I usually finish. I think there are a lot of events going on the same weekend that poach a lot of the faster riders away from this event.

Way to go RR of the west!