Page 417 of 417 FirstFirst ... 317 367 407 413 414 415 416 417
Results 20,801 to 20,843 of 20843
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Nice ride in for some delivery. Shift is almost over, one delivery left for a good tip. I take it. The skies open up on me and I get absolutely drenched. Storm passes as fast as it came in. Continued to rain on and off the rest of the afternoon. Finished the day at the bike shop and rode home. Sunny skies, warm, and you could hardly tell that it rained for most of the afternoon.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 2913/6000

mtbr member
    Smoke from the California fires filled the valley this morning. And I found a tire iron on the ride home, you can never have too many tire irons! lol

2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    A coworker rushed up and asked "is your BMX red and gold?" after she saw a guy pedal away on one today. Thankfully, no, mine is black and white, and still at the bike rack when I got out. And it had a note rolled up through the stem...from said red and gold BMX guy whose bike I have seen but have not met. He works in the same building, he is hoping to get some local BMX racing going. Cool, even though I am not a racer.

Good rides on it today, grabbed it because rain/thunderstorms forecast the rest of the week. No commute Tuesday - what, you don't have Bennington Battle day off?!?! - tsk tsk
    You ride your BMX to work? I used to race back in the day, and I still have my old bike, some of the components are super rare apparently I was going to take some pictures and put them up in the rare parts thread here but I keep forgetting.
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Yes, usually I ride the BMX 1 day/week in non-winter, it is fun, and surprisingly fast on the 16 mi RT. Good rides today on the cross bike. The overnight thunderstorms really took a toll on some roads. The last mile uphill was just littered with chunks of asphalt, with potholes/washouts to match. Someone said it was 2" in 1/2 hour.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by jbandt View Post
    This happened
    Attachment 1088660
    Dang that sucks. At least you had a backup and a ride?

Some routes are just like that. I've had to dodge glass, pieces of aluminum siding, nails, etc but I ultimately decided that wasn't worth saving 3 miles each way and take a more cushiony route.

Today was good. Mostly just cruising easy. First day it hasn't rained in a while.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

since 4/10/2009
    On my way home today, I stopped at the local brewery for a growler fill. An order of stuff also came in at the shop, so I had my 2nd kitty litter tub pannier on for my merch. My other kitty litter tub had my work shoes and u-lock in them. So I was loaded. I took the MUP home, and saw about half a dozen bikes using the short 1.5mi stretch that I used. That's more than I've seen at one time in awhile.

I rolled onto the path behind a roadie in his kit who was headed my direction. I followed him for a bit at about 18mph and noticed he started slowing when the path tilted up just a hair. So I passed him and we greeted each other as I rode by. I was going somewhere in the 18-19mph range (loaded down, mind you) and noticed that this guy was drafting me for about a mile before we reached the end of the path and headed opposite directions. Made me chuckle.

When I got home, I realized that I've got this Sunday off, which happens to be the same day as a big cancer charity ride that happens on a day that I've always had to work for the past few years. So I decided sorta last minute to sign up for the century. I raised money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society this year for a century in June that I had to shorten for severe weather. So I'm going to do my century this weekend. This one is fully supported, unlike the one in June, at least. I've got the route plotted out for my Garmin and ready to go.

weirdo
    I had a spare tube with me didn't think it would make 12 miles with a gouge in the tire. Sucks because tires only have about 150 miles on them.
    Attachment 1088660
    That makes me think "tire boot", though I have only carried them around for just in case, never actually used one. I hope somebody with boot experience speaks up. Are they reliable as a permanent fix for a small slice like that, or mostly just an emergency escape plan? Maybe a good booting could save that tire for the rest of its natural life?

EDIT TO ADD: It rained at my house for a few minutes this afternoon for the first time since May. Smelled good
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    This happened a mile into my 13 mile ride home yesterday. Don't know what I hit but it went clean through the tire and completely through the tube. Had to get a ride. I had a spare tube with me didn't think it would make 12 miles with a gouge in the tire. Sucks because tires only have about 150 miles on them.
    That's a downer. My guess would be a broken bottle but who knows. Following on from Rodars suggestion maybe a boot and some patch glue might work that...

Ride home yesterday was just plain hardwork, headwind city. Pissed me off tbh.

This morning was pleasant despite me not getting up until shortly before I needed to leave (becoming a habit unfortunately) but I organise in the evening so up, dress, pint of water and on the road.
    2016 - 2189/3000 commute miles as of 17/08/16

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    That makes me think "tire boot", though I have only carried them around for just in case, never actually used one.
    Didn't CB report using a dollar bill to reinforce a tire to get home?

mtbr member
    Good luck on the century, Harold!

More woodland creatures on my commute today: sandhill cranes. I'm not sure Disney has ever used them in a movie before though. Maybe I should give them a call.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    That makes me think "tire boot", though I have only carried them around for just in case, never actually used one. I hope somebody with boot experience speaks up. Are they reliable as a permanent fix for a small slice like that, or mostly just an emergency escape plan? Maybe a good booting could save that tire for the rest of its natural life?

EDIT TO ADD: It rained at my house for a few minutes this afternoon for the first time since May. Smelled good
    I had never even heard of a tire boot til yesterday when I went to LBS to get more tubes and told the story. The guy explained that a boot will work temporarily but it's not meant to be a long term fix. I picked up a 3 pack and I now carry one with me JIC.

New tires are in the way!!
    Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    No commute for me today. Early meeting to get to plus my turn to deliver the little one to kindergarten... Took the train.
    Biking tomorrow though.
    Just pulled the trigger on a pair of Vittoria Open Corsa G+ in 28mm for the roadie. Managed to kill my rear Vittoria Open Pave in 1100km. No issues with the tyre as such yet, but the tread is completely gone and whats left is starting to look a bit ropey.

Note to self; racing clinchers are no good as commuting tyres...

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Did he? That's golden. Makes sense as long as you can fold it enough times.

mtbr member
    Had to google what a tire boot is - looks neat as an emergency solution for this kind of thing. Will probably order a few to add to my emergency kit. Can not imagine that a dollar bill would do the same trick, especially when it gets wet. But hey, CB apparently tried, he should know. And speaking of CB, where is he actually??

Commute was nice again today. Refreshing in the morning, nice in the afternoon. Last commute this month, I am off now until early September. Will try to make some rides when I am off.

Harold, good luck for your century this weekend

since 4/10/2009
    Nice this morning, and a cool rain for the evening ride home. Glad I had a waterproof pannier for my wallet, phone, and keys.

20160819_191517 by Nate, on Flickr
    Last edited by Harold; 4 Days Ago at 06:29 AM. Reason: added the pic

I'd rather be on my bike
    It was a pretty crappy ride in. I don't know why, just wasn't feeling it today. Same for the ride home. One of those days where no matter which direction you were headed there was a dang head wind. Hate hate hate those days. Taking the car in tomorrow as the forecast for the day gets progressively worse.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Started with a new commuting setup. Waterproof panniers for carrying gear instead of backpack with important stuff in plastic bags or saddlebags with plastic bags.

Axion Typhoon. Pretty cool and sturdy, no bouncing around on the rails and banging against the back wheel. I've been practicing increasing the weight and finding a good cadence. I've got text books, extra clothes, two bike locks, tubes, hand pump, etc in there and did a comfy 14.5 mph on the way home tonight. Probably could have pushed it but I'm wanting to work up to doing long distance, multi-day rides, so busting hump doesn't make too much sense I guess.

How was your commute today?-uploadfromtaptalk1471752910634.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Great weather out here today. Had to take full advantage. After getting home on my commute, I rode 30 miles to my wife's work to drive her home.

since 4/10/2009
    Amazing weather today for my century. Completed it, and it was tough. Really stiff west wind, and I had one long stretch of about 6 miles heading straight into it through corn tunnels. It was HOWLING.

https://www.strava.com/activities/684337662

Didn't get a pic, but it also belongs in the roadside treasure thread. On the outbound leg, I found a HUGE old-fashioned lollipop still in the wrapper. No way I could have hauled it out in a jersey pocket, even.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice work, Harold, congrats!

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Amazing weather today for my century. Completed it, and it was tough. Really stiff west wind, and I had one long stretch of about 6 miles heading straight into it through corn tunnels. It was HOWLING.

https://www.strava.com/activities/684337662

Didn't get a pic, but it also belongs in the roadside treasure thread. On the outbound leg, I found a HUGE old-fashioned lollipop still in the wrapper. No way I could have hauled it out in a jersey pocket, even.
    Still in the wrapper you say? What road was this on, I've got time to kill on my commute. Think I can make it there from sw IL in about three hours?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I only ride one bike, it has some 60000 km and eleven years on it. I ride it in the mountains and for the commute.

On a mountain ride the upper jockey wheel came loose, wrapped the RD around the chainstay.

Got home got it all fixed up, but the chainstay dropout holder is getting weaker and weaker, after many straightenings.

So time to get a new bike.

I bought a Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, it is set up for 29 or 27.5 inch up to 3 inch wide, for winter semi fats. I will ride this trails only.

I will continue to commute winter summer on the old bike, it should have at least 3 more years doing that in it. I have pitting on the downtube bottom bracket area from worn out paint and winter salt, the frame doesn't have long.

End of an ERA.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Major bummer jeffscott. I'm glad you still get to use the old rig for a while anyway.

It's...Autumn like today. Borderline chilly riding home last night and this morning. I love it!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Still in the wrapper you say? What road was this on, I've got time to kill on my commute. Think I can make it there from sw IL in about three hours?
    I provided my route. Just ride it and go find it. :-)

IIRC, it was on E. CR 1025N in Hendricks County, IN, between CR 75E and CR 275E, but I may be wrong. It may have also been on CR 75S.

CB of the East
    I've used the dollar bill method. No folding necessary, just wrap the tube in the area of the cut. I replaced it with fiberglass tape and continued to ride the tire even though it isn't recommended. I've never bought "real" boots.

Congrats on the Century Harold.

I'm just back from a week of camping. I'll post some pics in the blog when I dig out. The commute in was good despite having sore stumps for legs after a race this weekend that involved running down a mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^Yes, usually I ride the BMX 1 day/week in non-winter, it is fun, and surprisingly fast on the 16 mi RT.
    Here's a crappy pic of my old trophy winner, check out all the chrome!

2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

No one calls me Maurice.
    Good ride in, head on a swivel on the ride home. At least 30 cars that ran red light right turns with out looking. I'm gonna get a paint ball gun.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Here's a crappy pic of my old trophy winner, check out all the chrome!

Nice, chrome rules! And a shock fork, haven't seen many of those.

Moderator Moderator
    Enjoy the Tallboy, Jeffscott!

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Good ride in, head on a swivel on the ride home. At least 30 cars that ran red light right turns with out looking. I'm gonna get a paint ball gun.
    Yeah, the semester started today. Been biking to campus all summer, no problems. Today I need to get into the left turn lane. Someone's behind me, I make my hand signal and right as I start get over this guy gets into the oncoming lane to pass me and cuts across the turn lane to keep going straight. It'd have been a lot easier to let me get over and just keep going straight past me, but your average college attendee doesn't understand logic or the mathematics that explain why doing what he did saves no time.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I've used the dollar bill method. No folding necessary, just wrap the tube in the area of the cut. I replaced it with fiberglass tape and continued to ride the tire even though it isn't recommended. I've never bought "real" boots.

Congrats on the Century Harold.

I'm just back from a week of camping. I'll post some pics in the blog when I dig out. The commute in was good despite having sore stumps for legs after a race this weekend that involved running down a mountain.
    Good to know!

I'd rather be on my bike
    I think it maybe hit 75F today if that. Was nice and cool this morning for delivery. College students are filtering their way back into town so vehicular and foot traffic is increasing. So many people riding on the sidewalk when there is a nice bike lane right there makes me sad. Ride home was cool but nice.

mtbr member
    Commute is about 5 minutes, might time it tomorrow I'm curious.
    Quiet street most of the way. Very chill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Commuting has been good lately - the rain has mainly stayed away, just the odd shower here and there - so I've mostly been on the road bike.

Have had to yell at a couple of drivers lately for the usual crap - passing too closely, pulling out in front of me and that crap. but it's been good fun pretty much all the way lately.

Even had the time to add some extra distance to my commute, nothing like cycling just for fun, not because you need to get somewhere...

I have also decided to reinstate my drop bar mtb back to a regular flat bar / hard tail. I figure that it would be a better proposition to build up a china carbon CX disc frame from scratch, it would ride better, I have a lot of bits laying around and I would also have three (yes THREE) bikes instead of two! Wheeeeeee!

Got my eye on this one;

N603 Toray Carbon Frameset Full Carbon Cyclocross Bike Disc Brake Frame Fork | eBay

I figure that it will be a more relaxed ride than my twitchy racer, more comfortable and with discs I don't need to curse myself every time I brake in the rain (the sound of tortured carbon rim is forever etched in my mind...)

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Works like a charm. I just folded it in half once. Friend just used a Nature Valley Fig Bar wrapper a week or two ago, and that worked well too. It doesn't take much. Dollar Bills are tough suckers.

Hi guys. Long time...long summer. I'm sort of back. Big developments in my little world. A couple years ago I went from teaching full time to teaching part time and working part time on staff at my church. Didn't really advertise the church job around here much because religion and the internet are like oil and water

This summer the opportunity came up to go down to one employer, so I bailed from the part time teaching gig... This will be great for time, family, etc... everything except the 0-dark-30 winter bike commute. My mileage will suffer, but I'm going to try to establish some routine Brian-style commutes to and from my own house. Hopefully I can keep it in the 80-90 mile/week range still. We'll see. Anyway, major shake-up and that's why I've been scarce. I'll try to keep checking in. I miss getting to the job I don't really like and jumping on the internet to distract myself .

OH, I'm doing a cool triathlon this weekend... 3 mile Run/7 mile Bike/4 mile Kayak. Should be sufficiently painful.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

NDD
    Baby boy
    Gotta be the fig bar though.

Raining late this morning so no singletrack on the ride home today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Hi guys. Long time...long summer. I'm sort of back. Big developments in my little world. A couple years ago I went from teaching full time to teaching part time and working part time on staff at my church. Didn't really advertise the church job around here much because religion and the internet are like oil and water
    I know what you mean - but I would have thought the guys here (especially in this thread - it does seem the this is where the sane ones hang out) would have been cool with it - each to their own and so forth.

This summer the opportunity came up to go down to one employer, so I bailed from the part time teaching gig... This will be great for time, family, etc... everything except the 0-dark-30 winter bike commute. My mileage will suffer, but I'm going to try to establish some routine Brian-style commutes to and from my own house. Hopefully I can keep it in the 80-90 mile/week range still. We'll see. Anyway, major shake-up and that's why I've been scarce. I'll try to keep checking in. I miss getting to the job I don't really like and jumping on the internet to distract myself .
    O snap! I do the same thing - first thing in the morning; coffee, net for 20 mins or so then down to work - kinda like a warm up for the soul.

OH, I'm doing a cool triathlon this weekend... 3 mile Run/7 mile Bike/4 mile Kayak. Should be sufficiently painful.
    That sounds great fun - especially the part where you don't have to swim (intentionally, at least, if the kayak goes over... well... yeah... I hate swimming - not the sport in of itself, just me swimming.

My commutes have been great lately - have any of you guys tried relive.cc? As far as I can tell it is a service offered by Strava (or in cooperation with Strava) - it takes your Strava data and pops out a nice little movie of your ride. Well, more of a visualization of your ride than an actual movie.

Not a great deal of use but fun none the less... It gives you an indication of where your top speed was reached and other little bits too.

Two Wheeled Terror
    Back from the dead although I feel like death. No rest for the wicked.

Man what a summer.......Hardly any commutes or bike riding period although I did some kayaking lol.

Got forced out of a rental due to the property changing hands. Probably a good thing. I didn't like the mobile home park much anyway. Theft and drama everywhere and that's no good with the wife and kiddos spending a lot of time by themselves there.

Got a much better place albeit more expensive. Interior walls need work so the landlord cuts me deals on the rent while I work and he pays for materials.

Picked up a new piece of gear. The wife said no more bikes inside the house so I ended up buying this thing. Pretty nifty and it's handy. Weatherproof but we shall see how it does during the winter.

Some pics of my summertime activities lol.

New digs. A little bigger and a lot more quiet.

The view....I see a hammock in my future.

Kayaking up by Grayling michigan

Wall destructor repair.

My bike garage is in the background

Here's a link to the item. Seems fairly sturdy and my bikes haven't self destruct ed yet. Only holds two bikes though.

The YardStash III: Space Saving Outdoor Bike Storage, Garden Storage and Pool Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAD3FCY..._MWuVxbEM7XSXK

School is starting again and although now I'm farther out biking during the day is still fairly safe. Biking at night is mostly out of the question due to how narrow the roads are....and how prevalent the beer cans are on the side of the road....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    I know what you mean - but I would have thought the guys here (especially in this thread - it does seem the this is where the sane ones hang out) would have been cool with it - each to their own and so forth.
    Sane!?! Speak for yourself.

As long as he's not working for Joel Osteen I won't joke about it! For real though it's always good to find a full time job you like. Good on you, CB.

mtbr member
    No commutes for me lately since I am off for 2 weeks but today I managed to make a 40k/25m ride which connected some minor errands. So 1 hr after I got home, the water tap worked again, the waterpump in the garden as well and I hid in the "cool" living room painting the walls, to avoid being out in 30C/86F. Its going to hit that temp every day now until Sunday. Perfect weather to wrench around in the bike lab in the basement.

Kudos on the new job decision CB! As long as you feel ok, it is ok.

Your Dollar-Bill-Tire-Repair-Tip made it also on Max' Blog in the bikehacks as #30:
    https://maxthecyclist.wordpress.com/...ing-lifehacks/

Bedwards Of The West

As long as he's not working for Joel Osteen I won't joke about it!
    Beautiful.

Thanks guys... definitely bringing the sanity level of my schedule into a more normal range.

Looking forward to the Triathlon with no swimming for sure! RollingRunner of the west talked me into it. If I can hang with her through the running portion I should be able to finish fairly strong.

The local boys have instituted 'Shuttle Tuesdays' around here this summer. Good times for a bunch of non-shuttle types. Dude driving the van is fresh off of a national championship XC win at Mammoth last month. Thought you guys would enjoy the vid I threw together for the club:

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

since 4/10/2009
    No commute today, and good I didn't. Storms rolled through and dropped at least 3 tornadoes in the city, one of which came within a couple miles of the shop and got us to lock the doors so we could go into the basement.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ saw that while I was on break at work. I am usually peeled to the Weather Channel on my breaks if no one else minds. Indiana was like a war zone today!

Up here in Michigan we had these strange little pocket storms just pop up and dump an inch or so of rain and disappear. I got caught out in that today delivering and got drenched. Standing water on the streets at one point an inch or so deep. Great tips today so I am not mad at all. Decided that I am going to public shame delivery trucks and what not that park in the bike lane, even if "just for a second while I run in" on my Twitter page. Nailed a good pic of the FedEX truck with its hazards on, in the bike lane, right in front of City Hall. The police station is at the end of the block. I was pretty perturbed with the whole situation.

Ended up riding home to get a quick shower to wash the road grime off of me and grab the car. More weather was forecasted for the rest of the day but nothing materialized from it.