Page 398 of 420 FirstFirst ... 298348388394395396397398399400401402408 ... LastLast
Results 19,851 to 19,900 of 21000
    Two Wheeled Terror
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Have heard that laptops don`t do well with the bumps and jolts associated with riding on a bicycle rack, better off in a backpack or messenger bag. No first hand experience with either option though, just hearsay from the forums. You`re down in Palm Springs though, aren`t you? The thought of wearing any kind of big heavy sweat bag on my body down there doesn`t exactly sound appealing either.
    Here's the load strapped down btw. Crossing the bungee improves the stability a lot and while it's tight enough to hold it all in one spot it's not so tight that I'm worried about crushing anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'd rather be on my bike
    Colder than a witches nipple. Broke out the tights for the ride to deliver. Froze my a-- off!!! It was like 25F and windy, no sun, just drab clouds. Michigan really sucks right now, it just sucks. The wind makes it feel so much colder than the actual temp. Blew my calf muscle up today, hurts like hell. Not sure what happened, it just "popped" when I went to take off from a light. Limped it back, nursed it a bit today and hope it feels better for tomorrow.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3262/6000

weirdo
    Hope your leg straightens out okay, 10Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Might want to check your subtraction there... Lol
    Whoops. Please don`t tell my wife the next time I razz her about what she`s done to the check register!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    you know what i dont like or havent gotten used to? having a load on my front rack. the weight up front makes the bike so twitchy. i think i'm gonna put a rack on the rear.
    You can get used to it to a degree, but IMO, they really don`t like heavy loads. Probably better with some front geometries than others, but the easy fix is a rear rack.

Speaking of...
    ...good luck with your rack endeavors, Kryptorox.
    Recalculating....

NDD
    Baby boy
    Whoops. Please don`t tell my wife the next time I razz her about what she`s done to the check register!
    But me and your wife have a relationship built on honesty.

TenSpeed, mind that leg of yours. It's not worth over exerting it until it is better.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Colder than a witches nipple. Broke out the tights for the ride to deliver. Froze my a-- off!!! It was like 25F and windy, no sun, just drab clouds. Michigan really sucks right now, it just sucks. The wind makes it feel so much colder than the actual temp. Blew my calf muscle up today, hurts like hell. Not sure what happened, it just "popped" when I went to take off from a light. Limped it back, nursed it a bit today and hope it feels better for tomorrow.
    I hear ya! I broke out all the winter gear again including the second layer of pants & balaclava. 15F yesterday with a high of 23F with snow and similar temps this morning. The coves of the lake are starting to freeze over again. I'll be riding across in no time. I broke out the studs again this morning because it seemed like all that melted and frozen snow might be a problem. Nope.

Sometimes those "popped" muscles feel better almost as fast as they feel bad. Others take a while to heal. I wouldn't use the "Shut Up Legs" motto for a few days.

I'd rather be on my bike
    It is funny because the only thing that doesn't hurt is to ride. My car is a manual so using that clutch yesterday on the way to the second job, oof. That had my leg talking a little. Going to take it easy and just ride a nice pace to work today. Forecast is supposed to go to hell the next couple of days and it is supposed to be sunny and 40F later. Motrin on board and that seems to help quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Careful Tenspeed you need that leg later. Replacement Legs can not be just bought yet.

Flat day today, no change of weather/temp whatsoever over the entire day. Calm winds, 10C/50F and overcast with slight rain. Just another good day on the bike.

Two Wheeled Terror
    Kinda cold today but my gloves at least keep the warmth in. Only bad part is the gloves don't wick sweat away so when I get where I'm going washing my hands is a good idea as well as finding a place to flip my gloves inside out.

Other than that it's pretty out.

That was from Sunday but still that spring weather is making everything grow.

Bedwards Of The West
    Hi guys... playing catch-up. I had last week off for Spring Break. Only rode the bike once last week... but it looked like this, so it's all good:

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-04-05-1.43.28-pm.jpg

Spent most of the week digging... putting in a garden, so leveling ground for raised beds, and digging post holes for the obligatory deer fence... turns out the house I moved into is sitting on the rockiest piece of land this side of anywhere. Basically I've been prying giant rocks out of the ground with a 30 pound steel bar for the past week. The commute this morning was a nice break
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    ^^Bah, I can dig a 1 sq foot hole and get 2 sq ft of rocks out of it on my property. The garden is mostly free after about 16 (18, 20?) years there. But some rocks still appear every year when I till.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ I'm getting 2 square feet of rock in one single rock! It would be like trying to till a parking lot I've been complaining all week to my wife about how she HAD to buy a house on the side of a mountain... not getting a lot of sympathy...

In other news, the GPS thing I won with the Gore-Tex contest made a quick eBay turn-around, and I just spent a portion of the winnings on a frame bag for the Ogre (LBS had ordered the wrong size for someone's Ice Cream Truck, and it fit the Ogre perfectly... dealer cost ) So I've joined the dark side... carrying things strapped to the bike. Never thought I'd go there. But I love it on the fat bike, so I'm looking forward to distributing the load and taking some looooong rides on the Ogre this summer with no camelbak.

weirdo
    Dag-nabbit, NDD- see if I buy you an ice cream cone next time you pass through my neighborhood! Maybe my wife will treat you to a tofu sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Bah, I can dig a 1 sq foot hole and get 2 sq ft of rocks out of it on my property.
    ...and the split it into a 4 foot fence post!!!

Welcome to the world of enLIGHTened backs, CB. GPS thing?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Riding in that kind of weather sucks. I got heat stroke once doing that and I was drinking enough water and electrolytes. It was doing the commute 4x a day that got me. Gotta watch yourself in that stuff.

Will be studying prevention of that for sure in the near future, can't imagine doing it 4x a day!
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

Bedwards Of The West

Welcome to the world of enLIGHTened backs, CB. GPS thing?

The prize was head-to-toe Gore-Tex, AND a DeLorme InReach Explorer... which would be awesome on my next arctic expedition, but who am I kidding? It's like a combo GPS/Spot Tracker/Emergency beacon/text message/email device. Awesome for communications in emergency situations when you're off the grid, but my most epic adventures are generally gonna be pretty close to on the grid, at least until my kids are older. This thing has a monthly subscription fee if you want to use it (Sat phone technology) and I just couldn't justify it. Turns out it's worth $379, so I cashed out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Hi guys... playing catch-up. I had last week off for Spring Break. Only rode the bike once last week... but it looked like this, so it's all good:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 1.43.28 PM.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	1062071

Spent most of the week digging... putting in a garden, so leveling ground for raised beds, and digging post holes for the obligatory deer fence... turns out the house I moved into is sitting on the rockiest piece of land this side of anywhere. Basically I've been prying giant rocks out of the ground with a 30 pound steel bar for the past week. The commute this morning was a nice break
    Nice pic! Where were you there??

NDD
    Baby boy
    Dag-nabbit, NDD- see if I buy you an ice cream cone next time you pass through my neighborhood! Maybe my wife will treat you to a tofu sandwich.
    Aw man, tofu is just some funky stuff. Dug myself a hole there but I couldn't resist.

Commute today was weird. Running a little late (not that I had a deadline, I just wanted to be there at a certain time to work on things) so I took what I thought would be a shortcut and ended up riding an extra mile and a half. Don't really know what I was thinking when I decided that...

Commute home was a battle against a headwind that was, if anything, persistent. One of those rides that make me wonder why my main commuter is set up as a fixed gear with a 52/20 gear ratio and loaded with bags and all that. Don't really know what I was thinking when I decided that...

Two Wheeled Terror
    Riding home in the dark sure is difficult at times. Very glad I don't ride a road bike home. I hit a lot of bumps I can't necessarily see in the dark even with a headlight.

All in all not a bad ride. I had forgotten how much I can think on the way home vs. when I drive.

I'd rather be on my bike
    How can there be a headwind both ways? HOW???? Cold but sunny. Leg felt really good on the bike today so that was good. Raced the rain/sleet/snow mix that was coming on the way home. I won, this time. Was on the fixed gear with Gatorskin 23's. Not exactly what I like to get caught out on for inclement weather.

Got the SS ready for delivery Wednesday. It started raining and is hovering around freezing. Studded/Nobby Nic came off with a fight, and the Continental CityRide's are back on. Forgot how light this bike was. Forgot I had the narrow Cinelli bar on there. Forgot how much fun this is going to be to ride again. Forgot how good the Chris King hub sounds!!! Forgot I got a huge SKS clip on XL fender on there. Forgot how much I love this bike!!

Two Wheeled Terror
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    How can there be a headwind both ways? HOW???? Cold but sunny. Leg felt really good on the bike today so that was good. Raced the rain/sleet/snow mix that was coming on the way home. I won, this time. Was on the fixed gear with Gatorskin 23's. Not exactly what I like to get caught out on for inclement weather.

Got the SS ready for delivery Wednesday. It started raining and is hovering around freezing. Studded/Nobby Nic came off with a fight, and the Continental CityRide's are back on. Forgot how light this bike was. Forgot I had the narrow Cinelli bar on there. Forgot how much fun this is going to be to ride again. Forgot how good the Chris King hub sounds!!! Forgot I got a huge SKS clip on XL fender on there. Forgot how much I love this bike!!
    I was just about to comment on gale force winds. Of course I had no warning at all. It started when I wheeled outside and was turning my lights on. It dropped a lot off my speed but I gritted and bore it. Biking wakes me up and gives me a little time to think before everything hots for the day.

Temp was about 50ish if it were still.

I am also really happy about the weight in my bike. Granted it's still around 20 lbs the rigid fork helps a lot. Especially when I toss 30lbs of books on the back and start riding everywhere. When it's empty I can really cruise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hope the calf is in better condition, TenSpeed?

My ride in today was great! Grey, blustery winds and damp roads with a balmy 6 Celsius...

I think I've found my legs again after a looooong winter lay up. Made it to work (15 and a bit km) in 32 minutes. It did help that I sat behind a big diesel of a gentleman for a good few of those km. This guy was seriously trucking - which was nothing but an advantage for me - when he lifted the pace to go past slower cyclists I had to sprint out of the saddle to keep with him - a real Hardman he was.

In other news I had to remove my Cinelli Ram from my roadie build project - I just completely miscalculated the stem length and reach of the bars (the reach is effing long). There was no way in hell I was riding that any distance without getting a prolapse! I'm sticking it on Finn.no (think Ebay for Norwegians) so I should get something back for it. It now has a Deda Elementi Superleggero stem and a 3T Ergosum 400mm bar with ergo drops. Very comfy and the bike now actually fits me...

Just the gear and brakes to adjust and the bar tape to fit before I await a dry day for her maiden voyage!

Which better be soon - I just signed up to do a 145km sportive on 5th June...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Shorts light sweater and a Tee.....pretty much standard except for the dog days of summer.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Nice pic! Where were you there??
    Quincy, CA

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    my commute in this morning was BADASS!!

why? my wife came along! she rode to work. i drop her off and went on my way. my distance is double hers. i'll do the reverse this evening. i'll pick her up and go home.

her road awareness is very suspect at this point and i just want to bring her up to speed. she thinks more "sidewalk/crosswalk" than "bike-lane". safety first.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Cool!

I ride part way with a guy sometimes who rides to work occasionally, and he's totally in the pedestrian mindset...except where riding on the wrong side of the street might be more convenient, etc... it's awkward I've tried to explain "be a car"... it's weird how people default to not using the road like a vehicle after so many years of it just feeling normal. Train your lady in the ways of the cyclist

Here's the Ogre with the new frame bag:

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-04-06-8.34.28-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    my commute in this morning was BADASS!!

why? my wife came along! she rode to work. i drop her off and went on my way. my distance is double hers. i'll do the reverse this evening. i'll pick her up and go home.

her road awareness is very suspect at this point and i just want to bring her up to speed. she thinks more "sidewalk/crosswalk" than "bike-lane". safety first.
    What worked for me was letting my fiance ride in front of me, this let's her set the pace and I can give her instructions as we ride.

Sometimes it would be to announce an upcoming turn, other times it's reminding her of things that I take for granted like using the road instead of the sidewalk. I think it's part just reassurance that she was doing the right thing.

In my case she got pretty comfortable with it pretty quickly and when it's nice outside she'll try to ride a couple days a week with me. It's totally worth the learning curve.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks for the riding lesson tips!!!

Sent via Jedi mind trick.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Hey very good boomchakabowow! Way to go and make sure she keeps on riding!

My commute is going back to normal. 5C/41F this morning and 12C/54F on the way home. It will be like that for the next days as well, in addition winds are going to be around 20mph gusts up to 30mph. That will make for a few tough rides home the next days.

NDD
    Baby boy

Here's the Ogre with the new frame bag:

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 8.34.28 AM.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	297.5 KB 
ID:	1062198
    Now that's sexy, but I still can't believe that you'd even post this. You ought to have a frame bag in secret, since you've been so adamant against weight on the frame. Ha!

But really, that's probably the best spot for it (but I can only imagine, I've never had a frame bag). Having weight over the rear wheel gets old fast.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Well, it started out alright. Roads were wet from an overnight rain but the rain had stopped. Halfway into my shift, it started again, just light rain. Wind picked up a bit and made riding kind of miserable. Temps started to rise, so I am stuck. Take the windbreaker off and get wet, or keep it on and sweat. Kept it on and just went with it. Rain picked up enough that they let me leave early. Made awesome money today so no complaints. By the time I got home, the shoes were wet, but not totally soaked. Socks were semi dry so my feet didn't get cold.

Drove the car to the second job because the forecast said that the rains would increase, and they were right. By the time I drove to the second job, it was steadily raining and 36F. No way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Unexpectedly seemed to be first day of spring yesterday... and I managed to wear my full winter kit as it was raining in the morning! So nice to ride in the sunshine, giving me hope that I'll be able to ditch the wet weather gear properly next week!

Had a virus for the last few weeks that's really drained my energy - it's been a few weeks of super slow 'scenery rides' just getting to and from work - hopefully I'll be back on form soon.
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD (29er)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

Two Wheeled Terror
    I rode home in the rain last night. Just needed a jacket but staying kind of dry was my inspiration to lay down some power and push it up the hills. Sadly I don't really. I gain 100ft. riding in even though I have only 2 or 3 miles but it's all up and down so it's almost the same going home.

Good commutes yesterday. Took the car today. Big statistics exam today so every minute counts.

Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 04-07-2016 at 07:51 AM.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I gain 1000ft. riding in even though I have only 2 or 3 miles but it's all up and down so it's almost the same going home.

1000 feet in 2-3 miles is like...riding up a mountain.

Winter is hanging on way too late, woke up to a coating of snow. Supposed to rain cats and dogs this afternoon. I ordered some Gore-Tex gloves when I got to work because I want to be more like Commuterboy. That and I still haven't found the right pair of waterproof gloves.

Seriously, I probably own 50 pair of gloves and they all suck. What is wrong with me?
    These will fix it: http://smile.amazon.com/Seirus-Innov...ilpage_o01_s00
    - Guaranteed to keep your hands dry
    Guaranteed!!!!! Wheeeeee!!

weirdo
    I ordered some Gore-Tex gloves when I got to work because I want to be more like Commuterboy.
    You know you`ll have to sell off the Viva Sport, don`t you? Five years worth of vacation every year wouldn`t be too bad, though!
    Recalculating....

Two Wheeled Terror

Winter is hanging on way too late, woke up to a coating of snow. Supposed to rain cats and dogs this afternoon. I ordered some Gore-Tex gloves when I got to work because I want to be more like Commuterboy. That and I still haven't found the right pair of waterproof gloves.

Seriously, I probably own 50 pair of gloves and they all suck. What is wrong with me?
    These will fix it: http://smile.amazon.com/Seirus-Innov...ilpage_o01_s00
    - Guaranteed to keep your hands dry
    Guaranteed!!!!! Wheeeeee!!
    Eek myself. Damn my fat fingers. I added an extra zero without seeing it. Yes 1000 feet in 2 or 3 miles would be way worse. It's 100.

CB of the East
    You know you`ll have to sell off the Viva Sport, don`t you? Five years worth of vacation every year wouldn`t be too bad, though!
    Sell it for $450 That would be going too far.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Winter is still hanging on here in Michigan. Currently snow flurries mixed with light rain, and hovering just above freezing. I think I am going to drive today.

weirdo
    Sell it for $450 That would be going too far.
    Damn, both of `em too big for me.
    Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    Hey I'm gettin' offers over here it's all about finding the one guy that can't live without it....

Way to go on the Gore-Tex bedwards. That's a great price compared to the Gore-Tex website also... they sure are proud of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Now that's sexy, but I still can't believe that you'd even post this. You ought to have a frame bag in secret, since you've been so adamant against weight on the frame. Ha!
    I'm expanding my horizons
    I'm all in with the frame bag, we'll see how it feels after an extended trial period. At least I'll be able to say I gave it a full blown effort. I'm even thinking about a complementary 'gas tank' bag to go with it because they look so cool.

Bedwards Of The West

We've got one of those. It's all logging roads. Did it on the commute home once... nice once in a while when you have the choice, but I'd quit riding to work if this was between me and the desk

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-04-07-11.06.56-am.png

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-04-07-11.10.09-am.png

mtbr member
    Very windy again today but at least it was dry and sunny. Temps are creeping up to 15C/60F again in the afternoon - slowly but steadily spring is arriving.

There was an accident on my route this morning. On the way in I was overtaken by police cars racing towards it and when I got there they had blocked the entire crossing already. Big chaos and a lot of angry people, that turned into angry AND jealous people when they noticed the traffic jam hardly slowed me down :P

CB of the East
    We've got one of those. It's all logging roads. Did it on the commute home once... nice once in a while when you have the choice, but I'd quit riding to work if this was between me and the desk

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.06.56 AM.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	1062430

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.10.09 AM.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	1062431
    How can you stand to be last on the leaderboard? By 1 second out of over an hour.

I'd love to try that but not every day.

Bedwards Of The West
    You'll note that my ride happened first. I was KOM with that time. Then all those punks came along and improved their times and bumped me down. Having been on the top of the giant leaderboard of 5 guys, I'm cool with giving them their moment in the sun.... one day I'll hit that thing as hard as I can... and probably wind up with a time lower than my PR to retain last place

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Been off this site for awhile. Got back on the bike after a nasty turned ankle. Got back too soon and had to take last week off after it swelled up again. Back on bike again this week and the universe feels back in order. And ankle still feels fine. I really hate driving to work. Especially cause it's only about 4.5 miles from home.

Two Wheeled Terror
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Been off this site for awhile. Got back on the bike after a nasty turned ankle. Got back too soon and had to take last week off after it swelled up again. Back on bike again this week and the universe feels back in order. And ankle still feels fine. I really hate driving to work. Especially cause it's only about 4.5 miles from home.
    I'm right there with you man!

mtbr member
    I don't think anyone will ever top bedwards glowing-snowball picture from a few months ago, but I thought this giant snowball was cool.

mtbr member
    Nice picture newfangled!

And which do bar you have on the bike today? ))

CB of the East
    (Had to install ad-blocker to use the site today - doubleclick intercepted all clicks)
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I don't think anyone will ever top bedwards glowing-snowball picture from a few months ago, but I thought this giant snowball was cool.

Nice ice cube. I wouldn't want it in my drink though. (Indecently, the one I posted would have been fine in a cocktail. Sebago lake is the water supply for the area. We use it untreated at the family camp)

CB, I expect you to address that little leaderboard problem by the end of the weekend. I'm not expecting first but last is unacceptable.

Commute was slow, my back is inexplicably strained. #HelloOldAge

mtbr member
    Some good rides lately. Cool mornings, decent afternoons. Dry. Slightly breezy, but not windy. And... I just topped 1k miles for the year this morning. A bit of a slow start, but no worries. I really don't have a mileage goal this year. Just enjoying the riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    .... Just enjoying the riding.
    Full ack - should be just like that.

Rode with my son to Kindergarten first this morning, then to work after I dropped him off. Nice tailwind on the way in and a little rain but not worth putting on the rain gear. The wind died during the day and so I hardly had any wind on the way home.

Been tweaking with my handlebar position the last two weeks and I think I have it now back in about the same position as it was before. I guess I'll leave it at that point. For now. Until I start experimenting again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    And which do bar you have on the bike today? ))
    I'm not actually that bad. That's my Gryphon, and it's had the same Gary Sweep on it for about a year now, because that bar is amazing. And my fixie has had a midge for 2~3 years now.

It's just the woodchipper that I have a love/hate relationship with. Currently in "hate" mode, because I'm actually really digging a normal dropbar on bike #3.

No commute for me. Dentist, and then ride with the dog.