Page 398 of 631 FirstFirst ... 298 348 388 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 408 448 498 ... LastLast
Results 9,926 to 9,950 of 15765
    Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    40K Miles!!! I don't think I've broken the 25K mark yet in my lifetime!
    Yeah, he's got >600 miles just for May so far, and I have also seen him show up at trailwork having ridden 7(or is it more ?) miles to trailwork with a heavy axe, doing trailwork, and riding home again.

weirdo
    Very windy outide right now, I hear each gust howl and whistle around my eves. Hope it calms down before I leave for work.

I wish I knew how many lifetime miles I`ve ridden. I couldn`t even begin to guess. I`d be REALLY interrested to know what my mileage was like as a kid. Between commutes (school), paper route, going to and from friends` houses, and countless hours of JRA, my old 3-speed really earned its keep.
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    I eased up to the light, and stopped in an almost perfect track stand. They looked over at me in curiosity, just then the light turns, and I go for broke. They both mashed on the gas so hard they peeled out at the light.
    Whoo!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    It is fascinating to me that it adds an extra mile round trip to my commute to park my bike in the on-site parking garage instead of at the uncovered racks by the front door.
    That is a big difference. When a little dirt short cut on my way in/out of the plant is muddy, I have to go around through the main entrance, which adds .3 miles each way. That was enough to be kind of surprising for me. The worst part about losing my short cut is that it gives me a traffic light. Left turn on the way home, and it`s a very short cycle light, so can be a bit tight waiting for all the people crossing straight across and still trying to get my own butt through before my side goes red.
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    Just fitted new cables, housing, and bar tape the commuter, which means we will probably get record-breaking rain today.
    No two ways about it. I`ll listen from here and maybe will hear your sonic boom!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Going back and forth trying to find the magic amount of chain tension is kind of a pain though...
    ...38t gearing is nice but I have a feeling I will be looking at a smaller cog soon, or trying to fit a bigger chainring.
    And then start all over playing with the tension, I assume. And possibly a longer chain? I have to wonder about the chain situation for SSers and fixed riders who frequently change around gearing. Do you guys also need to keep a stash of chains in various lengths, or is there usually enough play in your dropuouts to cover all that?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    First time back on the bike since last Monday. After work errands and a late week camping trip kept the bike parked. Cool 62f for the ride in and about 98f for the ride home. Windy ride home, too. Seven days off the bike had me dragging on my way home.

Getting a crown tomorrow, which will keep me off the bike then too. Don't have time to leave work and make it to dentist before dentist closes if I ride my bike. So far, this tooth thing has costed me three commuting days and almost four hundred dollars (even with insurance).

Moderator Moderator
    The hills were rough on my commute home - the hike Saturday, yard work Sunday, 2 days of cross bike standing-climbing and work craziness resulting in my having breakfast at lunchtime took their toll. On the plus side I beat this nasty thunder and lightning and rain home. Also, my MTB has it's new fork on and I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow and try it out, although the trails may close with this rain.

mtbr member

Re: How was your commute today?

The eccentric hub actually gives more movement than I'd expect, but I used an old chain that was lying around. Once I settle on a gearing I like may splurge on a new one.

I like a fairly consistent wheel position on my main mtb so keep 2 chains. 1 sized for 32x20 slammed forward and 19 a little ways back, and another for 22 and 21 cogs. Starting to really love the 19 though, may see how far I can move it forward, halflink or otherwise.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Another enjoyable ride in this AM. 40F at the house, so I decided to go with shorts this morning. Good choice.

Last night as I was putting the bike away I noticed a bit of play in my rear wheel. Took it off and realized the hub was loose. Really loose. Hopefully this is not the start of a repeat of the early winter when I had to get a replacement due to the hub refusing to stay adjusted. Of course REI was super-cool about the whole thing, giving me a whole new wheel as the hub would have taken a week or more to get in from the outside. I adjusted it up and so far it seems like it is staying put, but I'll be checking it daily to keep an eye on it. May just run over and let the REI shop take a look at it this afternoon so that they are aware of the issue in case it continues.

Last night was a nice commute. Ended up riding a completely different trail and a different direction - had to go meet the fam at a track meet my son was participating in. Elementary school track meets are funny things. Lots of lost shoes and walking...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    First day this week on 2 wheels. No packable food in the house on Monday, and thunderstorms yesterday right as I was putting on my shoes. I tried to ride anyways but the mrs. wasn't having it. Supposed to be stormy the rest of the week (today included) so I'm sure I'll regret it, but I couldn't stand just driving the whole week.

weirdo
    I endo`d today, arriving at work.
    The last bit of my commute is a short cut through a gate in the fence followed by a fun little run down a road cut and a sharp right across a miniature wooden foot bridge. I went into the ST portion a bit hot, front tire started to wash out, and I couldn`t hold my line. Was faced with the otions of either plow into the hand rails on the bridge or go even wider and roll into a scraggly sage brush. The brush won, and sent me OTB. Good time was had by all

Up until then I was doing very well. The usual west wind has been blowing from the E-NE this week, so instead of headwinds in and tailwinds home, I`ve been cooking on the way in and lagging on the home stretch. Still made the inbound today in under 11 minutes, where my "summer uniform" average is about 13. Doesn`t sound like much difference, but anything under 12 is pretty rare.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Sounds like the better choice on landing zones, hope you don't feel beat up later. That is a nice speedy trip in.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    40K Miles!!! I don't think I've broken the 25K mark yet in my lifetime! It was pretty muggy here yesterday too.
    Yeah, he's got >600 miles just for May so far, and I have also seen him show up at trailwork having ridden 7(or is it more ?) miles to trailwork with a heavy axe, doing trailwork, and riding home again.
    Sounds like my kinda riding buddy. I'm yet to get a single frame over 25k miles, hoping the Ogre will fare better.

FWIW, I'm sitting on 55,400 miles since Jan 2009, 911 mi this month (It's been a good month until this week, when it started pouring with rain*). I didn't track it before that, but I was a pretty avid cyclist as a kid, and spent one summer riding up and down the beach (rifraf will know what I'm talking about - Joondalup to Scarborough beach & back, twice a day, with a swim and a run at the beach when I got there).

* almost all of the miles there are done on my heavy ass 29er Rohloff Surly Ogre. The warranty is for 2 years, unlimited miles. Of course I'm going to ride as much as I can in that 2 years on the Rohloff!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I'm sure I'll regret it
    Was regretting hard on the ride home. The canal trail (~7 miles) was thick with bugs and it had gotten too dark to wear my sunglasses, the only eye cover I had on me. Rode with my head down as much as possible, still had several bugs in each eye and a few bites surrounding the eye. I don't know if it's possible to get bites on your eyeball but it sure felt like it last night. Got off the canal trail for the ~4 miles and what do I see in the distance, bearing down on my house? A storm, complete with a downpour and flashes of lightning. Raced the storm, won, was covered in enough sweat that I might as well have been rained on.

local trails rider
    Yesterday and today, the mornings were nice and sunny, and I left home in shorts and T shirt. Coming back home the situation was a bit different: yesterday it rained enough to get me soaked, today the rain was so light that the ground was dry under even the smallest trees.

I knew there was a high probability of rain in the afternoons but decided that it didn't matter as I'd be on the way home.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    On the plus side I beat this nasty thunder and lightning and rain home.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I endo`d today, arriving at work. Good time was had by all Still made the inbound today in under 11 minutes, where my "summer uniform" average is about 13. Doesn`t sound like much difference, but anything under 12 is pretty rare.
    Raced the storm, won, was covered in enough sweat that I might as well have been rained on.
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Yesterday ... it rained enough to get me soaked, today the rain was so light that the ground was dry under even the smallest trees.
    Surviving mishaps relatively unscathed, and not endo-ing up late, avoiding rain and/or lightning or not, all is well. Sometimes you beat the rain, sometimes it beats on us.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Excellent ride in this morning. 43F and sunny after light rain most of the night.

Last night I tacked on 11.5 miles to my total commute. Was an awesome evening for a ride. Just killed it. Average speed of 15 mph. Not too shabby. Can't wait for the ride home tonight. Looks to be a glorious day out there. Spring might have finally made it to the greatland for reals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great commute today, 49 Degrees. Lots of people out Golfing today thru the South Platte River Trail.

Back in the Saddle Again
    It was a learning exp for me today. Got my first real arse chewing from a rather attractive jeeper who was unhappy that she had to slow down across a bridge. She for a wave and kiss blown for her troubles.

Stopped in to the local truck stop to get mud washed off the side walls and found I had broken a rear spoke at some point. Had an onlooker watching the extraction process, likely wondering what I was up to. Glad it didn't give me further problems.

Rain gear is a double edged blade. I think I had more water inside from my sweat than I had on the outside from the small amount of rain this morning.

That I will forever have a head wind going home.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ugh. Something about this 4 way stop near my house makes drivers stupid. They pass nice and wide but too close to the stop to finish the pass (since I happen to actually be moving), but since they don't want to be in the opposite lane at the sign they just cut back over and run me sort of off the road. Was it too much to ask to just wait the five seconds?

mtbr member
    Yes! Yes it is! You should know by now that you have no right to be on THEIR road on YOUR stupid little bicycle! Hang your head in shame!

Had to swap back from my leather saddle to my WTB Speed V, since the quick release for my saddlebag won't fit past the springs. Might take this opportunity to try a different leather saddle. Might not be a bad thing, but now I gotta go through the whole adjust the saddle process all over again.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Moderator Moderator
    Ugh. Something about this 4 way stop near my house makes drivers stupid. They pass nice and wide but too close to the stop to finish the pass (since I happen to actually be moving), but since they don't want to be in the opposite lane at the sign they just cut back over and run me sort of off the road. Was it too much to ask to just wait the five seconds?
    Not sure if I'm picturing it right, but it sounds like you may need to "take the lane", or as I prefer, "hog the lane" to block out the cars from making bad decisions. I have to do this at the roundabout or else they get halfway through and realize "now what??". I also have to do this at an intersection where I'm going forward and my lane is marked with both straight and right turn arrows. I used to try to let cars by on my right to turn up toward the highway, but one too many decided it was an invitation to drag race by on my right. Now I stop or roll dead center. There is still room for right-turners if they want to use the shoulder, but if they want to go forward like me, they have to wait. There is also a straight-only arrow lane to my left.

mtbr member
    ^^ Yes. Hog the lane. I have a T intersection 3-way at the top of a hill 0.7 miles from home. Blind hill. In Indiana, it is a reckless driving charge to pass and not complete it before 100' of an intersection, also one for passing up a blind hill. So I take the lane to force them to think about passing in the left 'lane' (no centerline) when it would feel so wrong to the average motorist. I get out of the saddle and make it obvious I am working hard. I put my hand out at 45 degree down angle fingers splayed in a "don't pass" if I see oncoming traffic if I have someone threatening to pass me. I have left a lady stuck in the left lane facing a car stopped across the intersection when she ignored that signal. Adrenaline helps acceleration I find. I seem to have educated most local drivers. Part of that is being highly visible. Visiting dolts are still possible. So I also have an escape and watch to see I need to use it. I am now ready to take the lawn and pass the SOB's on the right. Their right mirror may get adjusted.

BrianMc

Back in the Saddle Again
    Saw this at the LBS and had to get it because I am an aggressive rider when needed. Normally I get no noticible flak, tho yesterday I got an earfull from a Jeeper.

How was your commute today?-lane.jpg

Last night I was as happy as a kid in a candy store. I had a tailwind on my way home!!! Easiest ride I have had in a while, even the sections of rolling hills I normally granny gear through. I was amazed at how happy I was about it too. It was odd to find myelf in a windless pocket when I matched speeds.

weirdo
    I used to try to let cars by on my right to turn up toward the highway, but one too many decided it was an invitation to drag race by on my right. Now I stop or roll dead center.
    Oh, wow. I almost always move over like that to let right turners get around when I stop at a light with the right lane being straight-or-turn. Glad my local drivers haven`t started abusing the priveledge!

I still think roundabouts suck for driving through, but they`re kinda fun to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddCelt View Post
    I had a tailwind on my way home!!! Easiest ride I have had in a while, even the sections of rolling hills I normally granny gear through. I was amazed at how happy I was about it too.
    There`s something to be said for riding with a tailwind
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    0 C and raining......starting to get cold again.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    It was one of those: rain coat is wetter on the inside than the outside commutes for me too. But I wanted the rain coat because we are supposed to get steady rain with falling temps throughout the day.

I let cars to my right to make right turns too. Usually it's in places where if they started to drag they would be in somebody's yard so it works out.

Hunter, those are some crazy miles. (I had typed a reply before but I must have hit preview but not submit, whatever I said was probably profound)

I accomplished another amazing bicycling first for me. 7 bikes in 7 days..

BTW, I'm really glad it's Friday - looking forward to the long weekend. The hills seemed a little extra steep this morning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Not sure if I'm picturing it right, but it sounds like you may need to "take the lane", or as I prefer, "hog the lane" to block out the cars from making bad decisions. I have to do this at the roundabout or else they get halfway through and realize "now what??". I also have to do this at an intersection where I'm going forward and my lane is marked with both straight and right turn arrows. I used to try to let cars by on my right to turn up toward the highway, but one too many decided it was an invitation to drag race by on my right. Now I stop or roll dead center. There is still room for right-turners if they want to use the shoulder, but if they want to go forward like me, they have to wait. There is also a straight-only arrow lane to my left.
    I normally ride about 1/4 to 1/3 into the lane on the right side. It's enough to push people over so that just about everyone passes safely with more than enough room, but it doesn't help them figure out how to pass while approaching the stop. I guess next time I'll go for the full positional block + hand-waving if I see them trying to overtake. Many drivers do actually wait, and I try to show appreciation with a wave and a "thank you!" but I'm never sure how many people can hear, or can hear just enough to hear "____ you!" and fill in the blank with the wrong word.

Today's ride was wet. Light rain/heavy fog the whole way, with some extra distance at the start to swing by the library and drop off returns. Feet stayed mostly dryish until I went through the tall grass behind my office.