Page 394 of 592 FirstFirst ... 294 344 384 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 404 444 494 ... LastLast
Results 9,826 to 9,850 of 14788
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I wipe,lube,rewipe my chain after a rainy spell, but that isn`t very often for me. Otherwise, I do the same W,L,W when it starts making noise or misbehaving somehow. Now only clean the chainrings when I do a more intensive maintenance. 2000 miles shouldn`t be a lot of wear to your bike with mostly on road riding- chain may or may not be worn in that time, but the rest of the bike ought to be fine. Well, maybe a bit of adjustment to compensate for cable stretch, but no other wear. I measure the chain with a ruler- for some reason, it looks like Sheldon doesn`t have pics of his description (???), but there are a few Youtube vids on it. For what its worth, I find it easier to line up the edge of a plate with one of the ruler marks and check against the same edge of another plate at the othe end. Since my ruler only goes to 12, I actually only measure 10 inches worth, but still use 1/16 stretch as my "replace" mark. Octalink BBs pull just like regular square tapers- in fact, I used the same tool to pull an Octalink that I use for squares, but I don`t know if all pullers are multipurpose or just some of them. What conditions produce roughness for you? Under power, coasting, soft pedaling?
    Under power. As before, it's generally worse when the bike's been out in the rain in the last few days. I do hope it's the pedals since I'll be replacing them soon, but my gut says otherwise. Regarding the crank removal, I was confused by the cap that I guess is hiding the actual crank bolt. On all the square taper cranks I've done previously the cap just pops out with some screwdriver prodding, but according to the internet I suppose the cap on octalink (or at least Sora) threads in, which explains why my screwdriver prying did nothing. More tools to buy to displease the wife, I suppose.

Regarding the actual topic of the thread, today's ride in was cold. Had to try to dig out all the winter stuff my wife just put away. Stupid weather better not damage the cherries this season.

mtbr member
    Normal ride in and back. Got an email back from BikesDirect on an inquiry on the rear spacing of the Turino Disc model. They say the spacing is 135mm, and that they plan on introducing "several more road disc models in the 4th quarter". Since I gotta wait to see if they ever restock that model to any size beyond small, I think I'll wait to see what else they come up with. Still no word back from Pro-Lite Oz on their international shipping cost (if they do it at all).

On a different note, for those of you who like manga (Japanese comics) here's a fairly entertaining one so far; Yowamushi Pedal and can be found here free Manga Traders - Yowamushi Pedal .
    It's about a kid in school who wants to start a club and gets pulled into road cycle racing. It's a little far fetched but it's funny, nice and safe for both work and kid friendly.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Moderator Moderator
    Back down below freezing this morning, but it warmed to 35F by the time I had to leave. A beautiful morning but blustery headwinds kept me on my toes. I liked these black clouds over the white, and spied this merganser sunning on a rock in the river.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1010549.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1010543.jpg  

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ Yeah, I underestimated the cold wind and wished I had worn the full fingered gloves. 4 hours and a hot shower later and my hands and feet are still cold and I still have a chill.

Rodar et. al. I finally got the pictures posted of riding in The Dominican Republic. Full blog here:
    EL Choco Loco Tour

Teaser Pic Here:
    How was your commute today?-bodega.jpg

mtbr member
    Another day, another ride. A good ride this AM. Only one small remaining snow patch on the way in. 41F and light rain for the ride. Had the rain jacket on and remembered just why I try to avoid it whenever possible - I end up clammy because it just doesn't breath enough and has no pit zips, so to vent I have to cape it out at the bottom and then the overspray from the front wheel soaks my belly. Looks like the weather man is saying it's going to be a bit damp all week. Better than snow, for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I wasn't blown away last week, but I've got no idea where noises/lack of smoothness could be coming from at this point since there's a lot of bearings and parts in the drivetrain and frankly as I cross 2k miles on the bike I expect to start seeing some of them fail. I tried checking for chain stretch last week but I don't think I measured right. Need to figure out how to pull an octalink crank so I can check out the bottom bracket too.
    Grab both pedals and try to wiggle the crank back and forth sideways...this will highlight any play and thus possible noise sources....do this on all your suspect bearings.

mtbr member
    Rolling on the floorboard!... Brian, did you just do the habitat ride again? Looks like it. You mentioned it comming up, but I didn`t think it was so soon! No mishaps this time?
    Rode again. Dropped a water bottle battery, A pack with rain gear, tools, various items, two headlights and taillights, rack, fenders, and bell. About 10 pounds, I guess as I was heavier, though I dropped 10 on the ride.

Mishaps? Who me? Need to keep us entertained here, right? I discovered a crack in the body of the left brifter a couple of months after the accident last fall. It did not seem to do any harm, so I ignored it. Bad move. It started shifting poorly, then disintegrated on the stand messing with it. So we switched to DT friction and old style lever to complete the ride. New brifter body is on its way. Campy lets you rebuild them. $60 instead of nearly $200 for a set of Brifters.

Several of us were climbing a mild grade after 70 miles of riding about 2 miles from our accommodations on the second day. We were doing about 13 mph and two bozos passed four of us against a close oncoming SUV. Passed too close, too fast, and forced the oncoming vehicle to a standstill. I don't understand why that driver did not lay on the horns for these buttheads. Would have cost them maybe 30 seconds to do it legally and safely.

On a brief connection through a town, I was doing 18-20 mph. Had a 'Blue Hair' in a late model Buick pass in town acroos a double yellow against a whole string of oncoming traffic barely missing the first bumper and cutting me off. She surprised me by that pass. Caught her a half block later. Big time saver of a move! Shouted "Nice Move!" (Riding for Habitat requires me to be politer than if this happened on my turf). Elderly passenger stared straight ahead obviously scared. Maybe playing 'chicken' with oncoming traffic was the cause.

Most other drivers were courteous. I pulled over on a couple of twisty hilly roads to get traffic by when they were patient and the road was not cooperating to get them by. Waved others by as soon as I got a sight line. So the idiots stand out as being extreme compared to the 99.9% (the rest).

Spring weather prevented most from enough preparation. I was hoping to drop 10-15 pounds and be stronger. Day four had me barely able to walk the hilly church camp where we stayed. Strength training, and spinning classes helped last year, it seems.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Looks like hot and windy for me all week. It`s been beautiful for the first few hours after sunrise, pretty nice (except still windy) in the evenings. I got in about two hours riding to and from a community cleanup project Sat morning, then back to back Mothers Day with my wife`s family and my family- well fed, but no more riding.

Nice, Bedwards! That store sure is proud of its Alka Seltzer distribution license, eh? It looks like just you and your wife plus the guide on the bike trip? Can`t beat that.

Sanath, only under power pretty much eliminates anything in the wheels. My guess is that you`re barking up the right tree by thinking BB. I found a thread on another bike forum about the tool for removing what you probably have- see posts 12 and 13 for sure.
    Shimano dust cap removal tool - BentRider Online Forums
    Hopefully Jeff`s or Xplorer`s ideas will turn out a culprit before you even have to "go there". If not, it doesn`t sound like a big deal to remove.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I hate to brag... Nah, that's a lie. I love to brag and let me tell you what, the weather this morning was something to brag about. Left at 7am and it was probably 70F and little to no wind. Absolutely gorgeous.

I retire from the Navy in about a year and the wife and I are moving back to FL to be close to family. I'm going to miss San Diego weather something fierce.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Good mishap stories BrianMC. Sometimes mishaps are the most memorable, luckily none of them were too bad.

Oh, yeah, I should have mentioned that it was just the 2 of us and the guide. Alka Selzer and Presidente I tried the latter but not the former.

Santh, one other possible very easy place to look for creaks under load is the seat post. I had one only made noise under load and sounded like a BB or suspension creak that I couldn't find. I cleaned & greased it and the sound went away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sanath,

How does the non-drive side crank arm attach? On my road bike I had a horrible creak after getting caught in the rain a few times commuting. I had the pedals off and regreased. Then rebuilt them(Speedplay Zeros). Went through the seat and seat post with grease and a torque wrench and was about to tear into the BB when I took the non-drive side crank arm off. There was not a hint of grease on the spindle. I put some assembly grease on the spindle, tightened the arm on and voila. No more creak. Hope it's something that simple for you...

Ride Everything
    It was 63f when I left the house at 6:30 this morning. First morning commute with bare knees in a very long while. Lots of MTB'ers on the singletrack, but surprisingly few road riders on the paved roads.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice ride in. 72F @ 5 a.m. Hot ride home. Display on dash of work truck claimed 106F at quitting time (3 p.m.). However, I have to question that cause the ride didn't feel THAT hot. I'm think around 101-102F. Nevertheless, hot times are here again. My schedule won't allow me to commute again until next Monday so that will give these unseasonably high temps a chance to clear out. Only supposed to be in low nineties right now.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^ Yeah, I underestimated the cold wind and wished I had worn the full fingered gloves. 4 hours and a hot shower later and my hands and feet are still cold and I still have a chill.
    Brrrrr...no-finger gloves this morning = no fingers.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    OK that was crazy. Tailwind on the dead flat MUP. Rode for almost a mile at 29MPH. Now I know what the peloton feels like

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Rode again. Dropped a water bottle battery, A pack with rain gear, tools, various items, two headlights and taillights, rack, fenders, and bell. About 10 pounds, I guess as I was heavier, though I dropped 10 on the ride.

Mishaps? Who me? Need to keep us entertained here, right? I discovered a crack in the body of the left brifter a couple of months after the accident last fall. It did not seem to do any harm, so I ignored it. Bad move. It started shifting poorly, then disintegrated on the stand messing with it. So we switched to DT friction and old style lever to complete the ride. New brifter body is on its way. Campy lets you rebuild them. $60 instead of nearly $200 for a set of Brifters.

Spring weather prevented most from enough preparation. I was hoping to drop 10-15 pounds and be stronger. Day four had me barely able to walk the hilly church camp where we stayed. Strength training, and spinning classes helped last year, it seems.
    Allright, ya done confused me. You had wanted to drop ten pounds from yourself and didn`t make it, but DID drop ten pounds from The Duchess? How did that feel? Good, I bet.

Sorry about the dead shifter, but you`re right- I would have been disappointed if something like that hadn`t happened
    Glad it was only plastic that got injusred this time.

Cracked body can be rebuilt, or something in the guts broke?
    BTW, I love this picture. That`s the kind of road that makes a ride
    How was your commute today?-file4233.jpg
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats on the habitat ride Brian. One day charity rides are one thing, getting up the next few days and doing it again is another. Glad you wee able to leave a few pounds behind, both at the start and the finish.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I smahtened up this morning. My hands were even kind of sweaty. That was the only change to my wardrobe, the temp was the same or lower and I got to work feeling fine. I've been riding the Viva Sport the last few days and road bikes are just faster than other bikes.

I Ride for Donuts
    Well yesterday turned out rather epic... I had a meeting at a far-flung office (actually not far from my house, but I had to do the regular commute first, which turned the commute map into a sort of giant "U" shape. I took my extendo trail route in the morning since the meeting started later than my normal day, did my errands at work, and then lived the dream by jumping right back on my bike and leaving. Wound up with just over 15 miles for the morning commute, and I wore shorts for the first time. Actually ditched the long sleeves after the first stop, so first ride in shorts/short sleeves in the morning also.

It was my first commute to this other office...no idea on parking situation, changing situation (I mean I knew there was a bathroom)... it all worked out OK, and I found a place inside to stash the bike, but I had to stuff the sweaty clothes into the backpack so they were damp at the end of the day...

but the day ended early, which was huge... back into the damp clothes, and with a couple hours to kill before the rest of the fam got home, I headed for a monster mountian ride that I haven't done in a while...screaming headwind on the highway, but it was calm in the woods. I was on the drop bar ogre, with a very full backpack... clothes, paperwork, iPad, plus all the normal commute stuff...probably 15 pounds of fun in the backpack. This ride is a monster... got high enough that I was able to stop and stuff my helmet vents full of snow to cool off. Strava said 2700 feet of elevation gain and just under 18 miles. (not the paved grade Rodar, logging roads on my side of there)

So I finished the day with over 3000 feet of elevation and 33 miles of riding. A solid Monday.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudge13 View Post
    I retire from the Navy in about a year and the wife and I are moving back to FL to be close to family. I'm going to miss San Diego weather something fierce.
    Outstanding!!! Was at N.A.S. Miramar back in 93', used to be a good place to be. Nice to see another squid doing well.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Allright, ya done confused me. You had wanted to drop ten pounds from yourself and didn`t make it, but DID drop ten pounds from The Duchess? How did that feel? Good, I bet.
    I did not ride locally before this year's ride with the tools, rain gear, and assorted support items I hauled last year or the double water bottles. The bike was much lighter than last year but only maybe 6 pounds lighter than I was riding it two weeks ago. So it did not feel as amazingly light as I had hoped. I had more than enough to be getting up hills with this year, I can't imagine struggling up with that last year's load. I still out coasted everyone I was near on downhills. Partly the potential energy of my road hugging weight, partly Campy bearings. On the stand, one person on the ride jokingly asked if the front wheel (Campy Chorus hub) had a motor, as it took so long to stop spinning once spun. Of course the Deep Vee Rims are about 60 grams heavier than say the A23 rims and that heavier again than the carbon-aluminum aero rims most had, and the 32mm tires are about 120 grams heavier than the 23 mm tires some used. So about 3 oz more flywheel effect, and 36 spokes too. The strong rims needed for my streets are stiff. So 28 mm is about as small as I'll go with these rims as some of the pavement was very rough, especially at the end of Day 2. So though I sucked at climbing, I excelled at downhills!

Sorry about the dead shifter, but you`re right- I would have been disappointed if something like that hadn`t happened Glad it was only plastic that got injured this time. Cracked body can be rebuilt, or something in the guts broke?
    Yes, just the body allowing the pivot to move as the plastic flexed and screw up the cable pull. Pushed too hard, the plastic broke instead of flexing. The part is on the way, and I have the pdf manual in how to rebuild it. So my knowledge of the mysteries of the index/friction left (front) brighter is about to increase a quantum level or three.

BTW, I love this picture. That`s the kind of road that makes a ride
    There was just enough sand, gravel and moisture on that descent to keep me from a full tuck no brake descent or the scenery would be a bit more blurred. I did it last year that way. Woo-Hoo! What a trip! There were three similar descents. One ends up flattening and straightening with 1000 feet to a stop and an ascent to the left. All that speed lost in heat, as the corner was blind. Bummer. Numerous perfect roller coasters where I went hell bent for leather spun out about halfway down as tucked as I get, and not getting down to cranking speed until at least half way up the next and cresting either side of 20 mph. Some long less steep descents where 28-30 mph for what seemed like miles was possible. Sections where I held 18-21 mph for miles of road (cloudy, un-pretty day, or I'd have included the ride through the or beside the woods.

I had trouble with the cameras (one died might be under warranty yet) and the iBike power supply so I don't have a record or my speed in a descent where I was leading about 6 cars in a 40 mph zone close to spinning out in top gear (48-13), each corner leading to another on a similar narrow road. I wish I had the power of 30 years ago for that 53 tooth chain wheel on the Campy triple that used to be on the Duchess! I had to pay for that exertion with a walk up most of the corresponding next climb as i had nothing left and needed to recover. I was smiling inside though.

I have the gradient graphs I could scan in for all but the last day (not much climbing or descent that day) if anyone is interested.

We had experienced tour riders from several other states who conceded this was a very challenging ride. Though none likely had much experience riding in the rockies, so take that assessment with a grain of salt.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    So I finished the day with over 3000 feet of elevation and 33 miles of riding. A solid Monday.
    We had pavement and someone said a 55 mile 4000 feet day. So what I said about a respectable but not a Rocky Mountain ride seems to be valid comparing to your ride yesterday. Rodar's 300 miles, and a day like yours with backpack are awesome. All that really matters though is that we enjoy our biking adventures and keep the rubber side down.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Outstanding!!! Was at N.A.S. Miramar back in 93', used to be a good place to be. Nice to see another squid doing well.
    I got to Point Loma for "A" School in 94'. I keep coming back. 94'-96' "A" School/"C" School at FASW. 03'-08' TTGP on the hill in Point Loma and finally 11'-14' at TSC 32nd St...

mtbr member
    A good ride this AM. 34F when I left the house. No snow on the trail at all now, but icy in some spots. Made good time and felt nice and relaxed when I got into the office.

Almost hit a moose on the way home yesterday. Was blasting down a hill that also happens to be a corner and he was standing just on the edge of the trail. His hackles were up, but he couldn't react as I came by, which is a good thing. Had he, I might have been seriously injured. Keeps the commute interesting...

I Ride for Donuts
    I still can't fathom riding by a moose at close quarters. I've been close to one in a Jeep, and that was intimidating enough
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)