Page 394 of 421 FirstFirst ... 294344384390391392393394395396397398404 ... LastLast
Results 19,651 to 19,700 of 21009
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Went to the doctors yesterday.

Went home the back way, across a side hill I ran into an ice patch...made it with the slicks on. Pretty rotten ice though.

Bedwards Of The West

How was your commute today?-12798983_10207614370188871_6880571597736399102_n.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12798983_10207614370188871_6880571597736399102_n.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	1056154
    Damn that's a bunch of Gortex! Congrats!

CB of the East
    They work down to 32.1F and then turn off like a switch. 32.2F is comfy. 31.9F and my hands freeze like I'm not wearing anything. Strangest thing.
    How was your commute today?-20160311_135513.jpg

Bedwards Of The West
    But look at what they're replacing

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-03-11-11.32.28-am.jpg

Actually, cool story there. I have good "Level 3" super cold weather gloves, and I knew I wanted new "level 2" gloves... I was told I could basically pick whatever gear I wanted, up to $800 from the Gore-Tex website. Gloves were last, and the "winstopper" version of the gloves I wanted would have put me right at $800. But I really wanted the Gore-Tex version rather than the windstopper ones. I sent them both options, and they came back and said "oh don't worry, we're putting you in all Gore-Tex. So I wound up at a bit over $800 with the Gore-Tex version of the gloves. Curious to see what temp range they are comfortable in, but I'm counting on the "level 2" status. Hoping for mid 20's, but that could be a bit ambitious if they shut off like a switch .

But a definite improvement over what I've been using.

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-03-11-11.32.47-am.jpg

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-03-11-11.33.02-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Congrats CB! Now you dont have to fear the weather anymore. And your gloves look even worse than mine when I replaced them

Rides: same as the last 2 days.

I just noticed the first tick on our cat. Spring is coming.

mtbr member
    But I really wanted the Gore-Tex version rather than the windstopper ones.
    I've got some windstopper shell gloves, and they are remarkably useless on a bike. I'm not sure what the technology is actually supposed to do, but above 5mph it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Cold starting out, temp only 35F and a slight breeze. After making a few deliveries, the windbreaker came off. A few more later and the sleeves came off. Just right in shorts and a jersey. 48F and I am breaking a sweat. What in the hell am I going to do when it is 95F out?
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3262/6000

Moderator Moderator
    Nice goretex collection, CB, awesome!

The biking has been fine, but the ice fishermen and snowmobilers have been dropping like flies this winter. Yesterday a game warden fell through while checking out what looked like some boots sticking up out on the ice. The game warden was rescued - after 25 minutes in the water - the other guy not good. Body pulled from Shelburne Pond, warden rescued

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Dang, bummer. Be safe Bedwards.

Celebratory Gore-Tex ride in the rain this afternoon

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-03-11-4.15.01-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    You know the ride home is gonna be tough when you set a record top speed on the first decent grade outbound. I tried to beat up into the wind before the butt-head in the tradesman's van passed me on the blind hill and cut back in about 30 feet from the stop sign. I was tempted to throw my water bottle at the back of the van.

Nice to bask in the glow of all that Gore-Tex haul, CB!

Came across this and if MTBXplorer feels she warrante the label there is a women's version, too!

https://fabrily.com/oldman-bicycle

weirdo
    Enough Gore in ShoeBoy`s house to film a NorCal Chainsaw Massacre movie!

Stay off the ice, MtbX.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Cool pic CB! Wish you lots of rain during your commutes! (never thought I would say that to.anyone..... )

I'd rather be on my bike
    Beautiful day for a commute and delivery. Picked up a few hours for a buddy and rolled in 31 miles for the day. 55F and mostly sunny. Forgot to post this from yesterdays delivery run.

Moderator Moderator

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 4.15.01 PM.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	359.8 KB 
ID:	1056216
    Lookin' good - and dry!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    You know the ride home is gonna be tough when you set a record top speed on the first decent grade outbound. I tried to beat up into the wind before the butt-head in the tradesman's van passed me on the blind hill and cut back in about 30 feet from the stop sign. I was tempted to throw my water bottle at the back of the van.

Nice to bask in the glow of all that Gore-Tex haul, CB!

Came across this and if MTBXplorer feels she warrante the label there is a women's version, too!

https://fabrily.com/oldman-bicycle
    Glad you are getting out! I like the T, funny and true!

CB of the East
    ^^ Dang, bummer. Be safe Bedwards.

No Worries, I shan't be riding across the ice any more this year. Exhibit A:
    How was your commute today?-20160313_111432.jpg
    Fastest ice-out ever. I crossed it Tuesday morning. Temps well below freezing. Didn't trust it by Tuesday afternoon and by Sunday the ice was gone.

CB, you be careful too. If I tried that I'd be on my azz.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ That's crazy.

"Winter storm warning" through this morning, and I was supposed to be facing snowy rain and crazy winds... it was going to be a perfect morning to really test drive the Gore-Tex super suit, but it sorta petered out over night... everything was wet and there was a little grainy snow spitting here and there, but basically just a ripping tailwind for about half of the ride. Still took full advantage of the uncanny magic ability of that stuff to let sweat evaporate while still being totally wind and water proof. Everything I got is the Gore-Tex "active" fabric...which is the latest greatest "high intensity" sweat-friendly stuff.

Granted, I'm comparing to my $16 pricepoint.com rain jacket here... but my base layer stuff was shockingly dry when I got to work this morning.

One thing I'm not thrilled about is the liner glove design within the gloves... it felt like the gore-tex liner part of the glove was sliding around a bit in there, taking away from your grip a little. You notice that with the windstopper ones Bedwards? I could see it wearing your hands out on a long ride, because with just a light grip on the bars you slide around a little inside the gloves.

And I think I finally killed my PB Superflash tail light. 5 bucks at an REI garage sale probably 10 years ago, so it's served me well but at the end of last week I thought the batteries had died. That became important this morning on the first post-time-change commute. I put new batteries in, and it wouldn't come on. Whacked it on the counter a few times, and I finally got it to come on in solid mode, but it wouldn't go blinky. And it wouldn't shut off. So I threw it on the bike and pulled the batteries back out when I got to work. May be time to replace it finally.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Today was slow with lots of dense fog. It also didn't help that we set our clocks back. You can't ride very fast when you can only see 10 feet in front of yourself.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Today was slow with lots of dense fog. It also didn't help that we set our clocks back. You can't ride very fast when you can only see 10 feet in front of yourself.
    Same here!

The last 10 miles were brutally slow
    I spent most of the time coasting. I couldn't see anything past the front tire.

guy
    No ride for me today. I'm quite sore from riding this weekend. My wife had a bridal shower in the finger lakes on Sunday and wanted a chauffeur. I had 3 hours to kill once we got there so I brought my road bike and went for a 45 mile ride around the lake. It was quite an adventure.

I had mapped everything out beforehand, but I forgot to check the elevation profile. I made the poor assumption that a straight road on the map was probably not going to be too steep. "The crazy climbing sections would probably have some switchbacks", I thought to myself...around mile 13 the road tilted upward...and upward...and upward. 3.8 mile climb of 1,200 ft with grades up to 37% and it turned to gravel halfway up. I made it most of the way but I am not ashamed to admit there was some hike a bike. That is approximately 10 commutes worth of climbing for me. I'm a flatlander. The decent down the otherside was 1,000 ft in 1.7 miles, average grade of -12% with a stretch at -28%, all gravel on my 25mm road tires with rim brakes. There was much clenching.

I spent the rest of the ride hoping there were no more surprises around the next bend. Several large climbs and descents but they were all paved and civilized. While I cursed it at the time, now I want to go back with my disc cross bike and try it without walking.
    Commute miles:
    2016: 611.5/3000

Help me raise money for cancer research!

CB of the East
    One thing I'm not thrilled about is the liner glove design within the gloves... it felt like the gore-tex liner part of the glove was sliding around a bit in there, taking away from your grip a little. You notice that with the windstopper ones Bedwards? I could see it wearing your hands out on a long ride, because with just a light grip on the bars you slide around a little inside the gloves.

And I think I finally killed my PB Superflash tail light. 5 bucks at an REI garage sale probably 10 years ago, so it's served me well but at the end of last week I thought the batteries had died. That became important this morning on the first post-time-change commute. I put new batteries in, and it wouldn't come on. Whacked it on the counter a few times, and I finally got it to come on in solid mode, but it wouldn't go blinky. And it wouldn't shut off. So I threw it on the bike and pulled the batteries back out when I got to work. May be time to replace it finally.
    I've got no complaints with the liner. My biggest gripe with some glove liners is when they turn inside out when you pull a sweaty hand out and it takes 10 minutes to get the fingers back in place. I went out on a limb and wore them at 27 degrees today. Not too bad. The windstopper ones have no waterproof qualities at all.

Good report on the GoreTex. So far I haven't found anything that is truly waterproof and lets sweat escape.

I had a NiteRider tail light that had the same problem. I took it apart and replaced the switch. (The perks of working in electronics)

Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    3.8 mile climb of 1,200 ft with grades up to 37% and it turned to gravel halfway up. I made it most of the way but I am not ashamed to admit there was some hike a bike. That is approximately 10 commutes worth of climbing for me. I'm a flatlander. The decent down the otherside was 1,000 ft in 1.7 miles, average grade of -12% with a stretch at -28%, all gravel on my 25mm road tires with rim brakes. There was much clenching.
    That is crazy steep. We've got a climb around here that is 1200 feet in 2.2 miles and the max grade on that is in the 25% range. I've got the honorable position of 60th.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/663973

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ That is steep enough that I thought it was a typo. Holy moly.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I've got no complaints with the liner. My biggest gripe with some glove liners is when they turn inside out when you pull a sweaty hand out and it takes 10 minutes to get the fingers back in place. I went out on a limb and wore them at 27 degrees today. Not too bad. The windstopper ones have no waterproof qualities at all.

Good report on the GoreTex. So far I haven't found anything that is truly waterproof and lets sweat escape.
    Having a tailwind, I pushed the long 6.5 mile Strava segment portion of my commute pretty hard (my 2nd best, dang so close)... so I was working up some heat in there. My guts were burning (you know the feeling). I would really be a mess in my other gear after an effort like that. I had another 7 miles or so to "cruise" into work with a pretty heavy headwind, so I was trying to cool down but couldn't really. On arrival I had the big sweat spot under the backpack on my base layer, but everything that wasn't covered by backpack was (honestly) totally dry. It was about 35 degrees and I had a wicking t-shirt and arm warmers on under the jacket. You get what you pay for I guess (unless you get it for free).

I learned some stuff about gore-tex during my shopping on their website... there are basically 3 different levels of the stuff now, based on how well it evaporates...they're all waterproof/windproof, but the "active" stuff allows more evaporation. I had my doubts, but it's legit. I can see wearing this stuff in a waaaaaay bigger range of temps than anything else I've had.

The gloves I don't think would bug me on a mountain bike bar, but I was feeling the inner glove slippage on the hoods of my road bar. I've had snowboard gloves that do the inside-out thing when you pull them off...nothing worse than that horrible experience of putting them back in... these do NOT do that. They are attached somehow in there at the fingertips, but you can just feel the play between the relatively slippery gore-tex layer as it slides around on the outer shell part. I mean I'm not gonna send them back or anything

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    . Forgot to post this from yesterdays delivery run.

That thing would seriously match my Gore-Tex stuff TenSpeed. Just sayin'. Looking good.

~ B A D A S S ~
    todays commute: FAST. And i wasn't even trying. All that snow must have made me stronger.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

guy
    ^^ That is steep enough that I thought it was a typo. Holy moly.
    I couldn't believe it when I turned the corner and saw that staring me in the face. To prove it: https://www.strava.com/activities/516318235
    Commute miles:

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ top 10. You owned that thing.

Nevermind how long the leaderboard is, that's not important right now.

guy
    Shhhhhhhh
    Commute miles:

weirdo
    Damn, Kleebs! I`ve ridden what I believe to be 20%, and it`s WAY steeper than it sounds. 37 is noteworthy on a world wide scale:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Avenue
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bald...ih=817#imgrc=_

I learned some stuff about gore-tex during my shopping on their website... there are basically 3 different levels of the stuff now, based on how well it evaporates...they're all waterproof/windproof, but the "active" stuff allows more evaporation. I had my doubts, but it's legit. I can see wearing this stuff in a waaaaaay bigger range of temps than anything else I've had.
    They`re making good on their $800 investment
    Hey, when do you go on break? My wife takes off Wed, leaving me a bachelor for three weekends in a row. Ready to dust off my tent!!!
    Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm not off till the week after Easter. I think I'm headed south though... I'm itching for some high country rides this summer to see what comes of all this moisture! Multi-day trips around here would all have to be east at this point... Smoke Creek/Black Rock.. I wouldn't be surprised if it's even muddy out there though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    I hate daylight saving time, but it was fun riding in the sorta dark to work this morning for a change!
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I hate daylight saving time, but it was fun riding in the sorta dark to work this morning for a change!
    I was glad to have light on the way home, actually!

Stupid was out in full force today. Had some lady almost hit me because she ran a stop. A block away, I signaled a left turn and the person oncoming just stopped. I stood there waving them on and yelling "what are you doing? you have right of way" until they went.

I'm definitely thinking about skipping out on voting in this primary so I can look for wildflowers tomorrow morning.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    Rough. Only 17 miles total today, and every muscle in my legs feels it. First day back from spring break for the students. Deliveries were unbelievable. Decided to ride home and get the car to drive to the second job. Was not feeling it at all. Saddle has to come off and my trusty Specialized Phenom has to go on.

You know those days where it is ever so slightly misting, just enough to get on your glasses, and it is humid, and the temps are in the upper 40's/low 50's.....and you are warm, but you are cold, and everything seems wet even though it isn't? That was today. It flat out sucked.

weirdo
    I'm not off till the week after Easter. I think I'm headed south though... I'm itching for some high country rides this summer to see what comes of all this moisture! Multi-day trips around here would all have to be east at this point... Smoke Creek/Black Rock.. I wouldn't be surprised if it's even muddy out there though.
    I`ll be through Smoke Creek to Black Rock this weekend! Definitely muddy on the playas, no way I`d get on them after the weather we`ve had in the past few weeks. That`s okay though- the playa is fun for a couple hours, then you`ve seen it. The best stuff is further north. Have you ever been out that way?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^ Awesomeness as usual from all you guys. Kleebs, that grade!!

Mentioned in passing back a few days that I was in the market for some new shoes. My Lake ones are due for retirement but have served me well in all weathers since 1999 but the strap is tearing.

How was your commute today?-dsc_0147.jpgHow was your commute today?-dsc_0148.jpg
    Well, a shed cleanout resulted in me finding some Scott ones. I bought them (and pedals) second hand from an ex-colleague who used them once and hated them.

I thought I'd thrown them out as the sole had detached from the body after almost no use but when I found them again I remembered i'd tried some "no more Nails" type stuff on them. Didn't seem to take so they got left. Some time (years?) later they now appear stuck. Used them this morning. Really comfy. The new cleats make me realise just how worn the old ones were.

How was your commute today?-dsc_0149.jpg
    2016 - 2547/3000 commute miles as of 23/09/16

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Welp, its official; Spring has sprung in my neck of the woods!

Its time to get out the old faithful drop bar mtb commuter thingy and give it a once over before I start my season.

Oh, and also time to get my finger out and finish my new #1 bike... Yes, it has skinny tyres...

How was your commute today?-img_0152.jpgHow was your commute today?-img_0151.jpg

I can also detach the home made helmet light thingy - I'll get my light direct from the Sun now, baby!

How was your commute today?-img_0156.jpgHow was your commute today?-img_0154.jpgHow was your commute today?-img_0153.jpg

Keep on rolling!

mtbr member
    Good to see you back Ghost! Good looking rides, I like your digs too!

Edit: not sure how multicultural 'digs' is but I mean home, lodgings, living quarters.

CB of the East
    Having a tailwind, I pushed the long 6.5 mile Strava segment portion of my commute pretty hard (my 2nd best, dang so close)... so I was working up some heat in there. My guts were burning (you know the feeling). I would really be a mess in my other gear after an effort like that. I had another 7 miles or so to "cruise" into work with a pretty heavy headwind, so I was trying to cool down but couldn't really. On arrival I had the big sweat spot under the backpack on my base layer, but everything that wasn't covered by backpack was (honestly) totally dry.
    Oh, so you don't end up with a silhouette of an eagle on your clothes after your ride? Too Bad. (Showers Pass Club Pro Jacket - very waterproof, not very breathable.
    How was your commute today?-20160315_075836.jpg

Slipspace. If that doesn't' hold try Shoe Goo.

Cold drizzle on the way in on the heavy bike. It was awesome. Maybe not awesome but it got me to work.

Bedwards Of The West
    Yeah, no more of that for me ^^. This stuff is seriously impressive.

And mid 20's this morning for the gloves. The digits were toasty, so that's a good sign. May not get a chance to push them lower than that until next winter...

Rodar, I've been all over the Warner Mountains, but not really anywhere between there and Gerlach. Cool country up there.

mtbr member
    Good commute in this AM. Trails are about 70% clear now. The rest are mixed ice and snow. This afternoon will be a sopping mess if it warms up as expected, but soon I should be able to ditch the studs. Though we did just get a squall of snow blow through and they are predicting 2 to 4 inches on Thursday, but I'll believe it when I see it.

mtbr member
    My adrenals did not come out of the operation too well. So when I pushed two grades because of traffic I got an adrenalin shot instead of some cortisol to cope. Well, it is the default. I will have to up the HC dose. Had to take a break. It was and is 73 F and sunny with 20 mph winds gusting in time and places to 30+. Nice day for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I ordered myself a little something since I sold my car a little while back, it finally came in today.

How was your commute today?-r0000003-web.jpg

weirdo
    Ooooh...
    is it a Bullit? Far out!
    Recalculating....

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I ordered myself a little something since I sold my car a little while back, it finally came in today.

Name:	R0000003 web.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	326.5 KB 
ID:	1057070
    How is the handling on something like that? I imagine it might be somewhat wonky?
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Nice bike formula4speed! Those are not cheap, either. Excellent commitment to the commuter spirit, that is.

Backpack? nah.
    Panniers? nah.
    Cargo rack? nah.
    Flat Bed - oh yes!

Is it pedal assist or all natural?

@SlipSpace - thanks man! I dig the digs thing - I'm as British as I imagine you to be (i.e. I think you're British and I am too - albeit a discrete celtic subset; aka "Scottish").

My first foray into bike building and my first foray into road bikes which by happy coincidence is my first foray into Campagnolo stuff...

I don't like making things easy for myself...

mtbr member
    Good that you're back on the bike Brian.

Formula4 - Interesting looking machine! I've seen similar around here with a couple of kids in front. They're big ol units.

Nice ride this morning, not much to report other than I thinks it's about time to replace the freewheel. Probably drop a tooth too, go from 18 to 17.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm still commuting regularly, just not checking in here as much. I switched jobs for the company I've worked for a long time and like it a lot better (but have less down time to do stuff like mtbr). My commute to the new building we're in is that no matter which way I go, I seem to have a headwind at least somewhere along the way. One stretch on the way home can be brutal when the wind is ripping, even though it is slightly downhill. There are a few jerks on the roads, but mostly my commutes are non-confrontational. Not bad.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Today is shaping up to be difficult. Flat on my TriCross so I am going fixed gear. Line of storms went through here last night and the wind is forecasted to pick up. When I say pick up, they are saying gusts up to 50mph. I only work one job today, and it is on the bike, so wish me luck. I should fix the flat but don't really feel like dealing with it right now. Will get a spare tube or two from the shop today and do it later. Hoping that the heavy winds dry the roads up a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    @SlipSpace - thanks man! I dig the digs thing - I'm as British as I imagine you to be (i.e. I think you're British and I am too - albeit a discrete celtic subset; aka "Scottish").
    oop, never got that, sorry, but yes, I'm a Brit too, I reside in the relative flatlands of Norfolk, just outside Norwich.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey all, it is indeed a Bullitt and yes they are a little spendy, but it was less than I sold my car for so it's a net positive in my book.

It has a short learning curve for the handling, took me a couple minutes to get comfortable, but after maybe a mile or so of riding it felt completely normal.

No pedal assist on mine, it is available on them but it's relatively flat here so I didn't go that route. The drivetrain is a belt drive with an alfine 8 IGH.

Last night I put my fiance and my 70 lb pitbull up front and cruised the neighborhood, a lot of fun and lots of curious neighbors. I've never seen another bakfiet around here, we'll see how many people I can convert.

CB of the East
    Gonna need pics of the pitty riding shotgun (fiance optional).