Page 393 of 631 FirstFirst ... 293 343 383 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 403 443 493 ... LastLast
Results 9,801 to 9,825 of 15770
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good commute. 60F in and about 80F back. Cloudy but it didn't rain. Got a root canal yesterday afternoon and right back on the bike this morning. First root canal. I feared these things my whole life and come to find out it's nothing really--or I should say, nothing as long as you're numbed before they do it.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Sun all week for Anchorage!
    Did you have something weird in your schedule, or do you normally work nights?
    All my maintenance happens at night while most folks sleep to minimize downtime to the network. Lots of upgrades, means lots of night work for this guy!

Moderator Moderator
    What, nobody liked the video of my ride to work?
    I'll bite.
    El Bombero Atomico - Cantinflas En Bicicleta - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    If your pedals are slippery when wet, I'd be more inclined to get new pedals than new shoes.
    I'm concerned about tearing up my fancy tights if I go with a pedal that's got a lot of pointy bits sticking out for traction. My shoes at the moment are also wholly unsuited for riding (Merrell sonic glove) and I'm not really sure how they'd fare with metal bits either. I figured I'd take the opportunity to try this clipless thing.

edit: also, shoe laces. I carry a crochet hook to tuck the loose lace ends under the crossed laces, because it's the best solution I've come up with, but it's kind of a pain and takes a few minutes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I carry a crochet hook to tuck the loose lace ends under the crossed laces, because it's the best solution I've come up with, but it's kind of a pain and takes a few minutes.
    See if you can get the local shoe repair to install a set of clips on some cowboy boots. A new pair of Justin's or Tony Llama's would be awesome with riding kit.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Was a great commute. After the crazy rain and hail we had today, the sun came out and the roads dried. Only small patches of wet spots on the trail. Great ride after all.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post

I'll bite.
    Thanks!
    I feel better now

Crochet hooks are very useful. Among other things, I use them for pulling wads of hair out of the shower drain. Never tried them on shoe laces, though. Sanath, maybe you could duct tape over the vent hole on your shoes for wet days?

Beautiful weather for the past few days here in the high desert! This weekend is definitely filled up with family and other commitments, and my wife`s sister will be here next weekend, so I`d better stick around and be sociable for that one too. Wonder how long the nice weather will last before it starts getting hot?
    Recalculating....

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I finally was able to commute to work today!!!! My geared XC bike had a flat this morning, so I had to take the single speed this morning.

I still had it configured for MTBR use and found myself spinning out most of the way to work. I'm hoping the trails dry out enough for me to make use of the low gearing on my way home today.

I Ride for Donuts
    Rodar, the cigarette was a nice touch

What amazes me is that you read that comment and somehow knew to look for that video.

Pretty much a perfect morning around here. I took the extendo 9 mile option this morning. Absolutely glorious out there. The only downside was the soreness from the brutal 5k yesterday evening. My calves were sore before the run, and the last 1.3 miles of this stupid run gains 750 feet of elevation.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Was surfing this morning (I'm on my weekend) found this site;
    Pro-Lite Oz (Powered by CubeCart)

Couldn't believe 100mm/130mm disc ready wheelset for $200 Aus (which is 1=1 $US), and a disc brake set (front/rear + 160mm rotors and cables) for $119. Only fly in the ointment was NO info on overseas deliveries. Might have to shoot them an e-mail, cause that is the best price on wheels I've found by more than $100.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Another good ride in this AM. Mid-30s and the trails are getting ever more clear. Still a few icy spots, but nothing major. Got the Pugs to 25mph on the flats for the first time this year. Good times. Now if I could only keep it up longer than a mile... Oh well.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    It's hard to imagine some of you still have snow. I just read that Maine was the second coldest state next to Alaska with an average yearly temp around 41 and our snow is all gone around here but I could probably find some if I went looking just a little north of here.

Since I already had a start to it I decided to do Seven Bikes In Seven Commutes Which I finished up today on my old favorite the Viva Sport. Sorry Rodar, no pics cause the phone was completely dead. It wasn't quite 7 bikes in 7 days because I took last weekend off but that can be another goal. I'm also thinking 70mi on 7 bikes in 1 day might be fun.

Two Wheeled Terror

Re: Geometry question for fs

My ride this morning was very painful. I ran 3 miles in 25min which is pretty slow and then biked 3.5 mi mostly uphill. Beautiful 65F weather with the wind in my face. Good short ride but I think I'm gonna be feeling it later. I gotta get back in shape.

sent by carrier pigeon

mtbr member
    Fixed gear experiment seems to be working well. I smoked a square taper BB that must be at least 8-16 years old from pedaling at such a high cadence down hills though. New BB is on the way, and I'm thinking I will put on a square taper cyclocross crank that I have sitting around on there. Torn between a 42T and 38T chainring I have sitting around. Rode in this morning on my cross bike in 39x14 which is about 3 gear-inches more than what 42x15 would give me, but I also wasn't hauling a rack or bag or anything. Guess I will try the 42 first since its easier to cut the chain down.

Also hearing an annoying rattling noise coming from the back when pedaling lately, I hope the cog that I got with the hub (WI eccentric) isn't worn out or I'll be sinking even more money into the bike I told my wife would be cheaper to maintain
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Fixed gear experiment seems to be working well. I smoked a square taper BB that must be at least 8-16 years old from pedaling at such a high cadence down hills though. New BB is on the way, and I'm thinking I will put on a square taper cyclocross crank that I have sitting around on there. Torn between a 42T and 38T chainring I have sitting around. Rode in this morning on my cross bike in 39x14 which is about 3 gear-inches more than what 42x15 would give me, but I also wasn't hauling a rack or bag or anything. Guess I will try the 42 first since its easier to cut the chain down.

Also hearing an annoying rattling noise coming from the back when pedaling lately, I hope the cog that I got with the hub (WI eccentric) isn't worn out or I'll be sinking even more money into the bike I told my wife would be cheaper to maintain
    I really doubt its your rear cog wearing out. If it is, tour LBS will probably have inexpensive BMX cogs for less than $10.00 each if you must have it replaced.

I Ride for Donuts
    I bet an old square taper BB is pretty shocked when it finds out it's going to have to deal with resistance in BOTH directions all of a sudden
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    2 hours shy of quitting time and patchy, very strong thunderstorms are moving in. ****. This is just about worst case for me, weather-wise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Morning ride was nice. Worked late last night so came in an hour or so later than normal. Weather is absolutely phenomenal. No May grey. Sunny and bright with a good breeze. Just lovely.

Since it was such a nice day I decided to take the long way home. Turned south from the base and rode all the way down and then around the Silver Strand to catch the ferry back to town, then trundled the remainder of my normal route home.

Riding the strand was a killer as usual due to the wind. Nothing stopping it coming off of the ocean. 45 degrees on the head and blowing! Averaged 15 mph for the first 19.5 miles. Kind of sad actually. I used to average 19 mph on the same stretch on my road bike. Guess the 10 extra pounds on the bike and the 20 extra pounds on me really make a difference! lol

36 miles total today makes me feel pretty good though...

Moderator Moderator
    Only 10 minutes in the rain over 2 days and 47 miles, despite the "chance of rain" both days.

Props from a ped with a chihuahua this morning after 2 cars blew through the crosswalk (not at a light or stop sign) downtown after I had already stopped for them to cross. Cars are actually usually quite good about the peds in crosswalks.

The Green Mountain State is in the lead again so far in the National Bike Challenge.

mtbr member

Re: How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    I really doubt its your rear cog wearing out. If it is, tour LBS will probably have inexpensive BMX cogs for less than $10.00 each if you must have it replaced.
    Yeah, the cross crank I put on seems to be bringing chainline in a bit. Between that and the slight increase in chain wrap (42 barely cleared the stays so I used the 38) it sounds a bit less bad. cog doesnt look worn, I'll check hub bearings if sound gets worse. I think the hub takes a proprietary white ind splined cog so not sure how cheap I can find a replacement. May end up needing something smaller than 15 in time if I cant fit a bigger chainring though.

Oh and of course I already had a BB. Hopefully I remember in 10 years when its time to replace again
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    This morning I came upon two tiny killdeer whose wings didn't quite work yet. ... I don't think I've ever seen killdeer this small before.
    Preparing land for corn planting often disturbed Killdeer in the downy puff balls with long legs stage. They trip over everything and tumble right back onto their feet. It is hilarious to see and I still smile at the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Another amazing post-rain morning. It feels almost coastal out there. So it's national bike-to-work day? I think? I can't say I saw an increase
    Didn't notice on the ride. I would have loved some bacon. Good for the salt balance.

What, nobody liked the video of my ride to work?
    Sorry, I was off line. I was one of about 10 of us passed by a lady texting and neither getting by or staying in her lane overly well.

I wonder if she was texting: Pssing bkes. Luv scaring the &$#* out of em. ROTFL.

QUOTE=rodar y rodar;10382905] I think there are bike to work freebees in my town, but not in my little part of it, and certainly not on my schedule. [/QUOTE]

Bikes? Bike to work? Are you nuts? That President is behind it, right? Nope. No stops seen here this week, though we avoided towns.

Thanks!
    I feel better now . Wonder how long the nice weather will last before it starts getting hot?
    Into the eighties one day, this morning 45 F felt like 39 F. Spring here is nutty that way.

BrianMc

mtbr member

Some pics from last week

Climbing out of the Wabash Valley last Sunday:

A great day to be riding

A SAG stop ( I was good at these)

Homemade Ice Cream (Sweet Potato, Pumpkin, Black Walnut, etc.) The Raspberry Ripple was excellent.:

Two rainy days:

One scenery-blurring descent of many:

One slow grinding ascent of too many:

[

BrianMc
    Last edited by BrianMc; 05-12-2013 at 05:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I snuck home in a break between storms on Friday, got off with a light rain the whole way. Checked out my chain this afternoon, expecting no issues since the chain-l is supposed to be keeping things happy, and there was surface rust everywhere. Does everybody wipe down the chain/rings/casette after riding in the rain or just live with the surface rust? I just fished it out of another acetone bath about an hour ago, I'll give the chain-l another shot this week with a light wipe down after getting home every day. I wasn't blown away last week, but I've got no idea where noises/lack of smoothness could be coming from at this point since there's a lot of bearings and parts in the drivetrain and frankly as I cross 2k miles on the bike I expect to start seeing some of them fail. I tried checking for chain stretch last week but I don't think I measured right. Need to figure out how to pull an octalink crank so I can check out the bottom bracket too.

Moderator Moderator
    A couple things to try for diagnosing the noise/roughness are 1) dropping the chain off the chainrings totally (to the inside) and then spinning the cranks to check for resistance - they should spin free. 2) Taking off the rear wheel and trying to spin the cassette (rear gears) by hand - do they feel or sound crunchy? If so, your freehub (or freewheel) needs work. 3) Spin each wheel to see if the hubs spin free or are seizing up. Usually problems with the actual chain, chainrings, or cassette will be associated with poor shifting more than just noise.

Surface rust will come off with a rag and good lube if you attack it pretty promptly. You may be ale to avoid it with more regular lubes. But wipe off any excess lube, it just attracts dirt and/or sprays on the bike.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I was one of about 10 of us passed by a lady texting and neither getting by or staying in her lane overly well.

I wonder if she was texting: Pssing bkes. Luv scaring the &$#* out of em. ROTFL.
    Rolling on the floorboard!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Climbing out of the Wabash Valley last Sunday:
    Listening to the jingle, the rumble and the roar? Brian, did you just do the habitat ride again? Looks like it. You mentioned it comming up, but I didn`t think it was so soon! No mishaps this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Does everybody wipe down the chain/rings/casette after riding in the rain or just live with the surface rust? I just fished it out of another acetone bath about an hour ago, I'll give the chain-l another shot this week with a light wipe down after getting home every day. I wasn't blown away last week, but I've got no idea where noises/lack of smoothness could be coming from at this point since there's a lot of bearings and parts in the drivetrain and frankly as I cross 2k miles on the bike I expect to start seeing some of them fail. I tried checking for chain stretch last week but I don't think I measured right. Need to figure out how to pull an octalink crank so I can check out the bottom bracket too.
    I wipe,lube,rewipe my chain after a rainy spell, but that isn`t very often for me. Otherwise, I do the same W,L,W when it starts making noise or misbehaving somehow. Now only clean the chainrings when I do a more intensive maintenance. 2000 miles shouldn`t be a lot of wear to your bike with mostly on road riding- chain may or may not be worn in that time, but the rest of the bike ought to be fine. Well, maybe a bit of adjustment to compensate for cable stretch, but no other wear. I measure the chain with a ruler- for some reason, it looks like Sheldon doesn`t have pics of his description (???), but there are a few Youtube vids on it. For what its worth, I find it easier to line up the edge of a plate with one of the ruler marks and check against the same edge of another plate at the othe end. Since my ruler only goes to 12, I actually only measure 10 inches worth, but still use 1/16 stretch as my "replace" mark. Octalink BBs pull just like regular square tapers- in fact, I used the same tool to pull an Octalink that I use for squares, but I don`t know if all pullers are multipurpose or just some of them. What conditions produce roughness for you? Under power, coasting, soft pedaling?
    Recalculating....