Page 393 of 418 FirstFirst ... 293343383389390391392393394395396397403 ... LastLast
Results 19,601 to 19,650 of 20884
    mtbr member
    I beat the rain home, just barely!

2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I beat the rain home, just barely!

Lucky you!
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    Let the melt happen!!!! It hit 60F here today, and the melt is on. Almost a foot of snow is more than half gone after today. Oh, tomorrow is the same, and tomorrow evening really late it should rain so that will finish it off. Ride to deliver was alright. I left before it really started to melt so the roads were not that wet. By the time I came back home it was pretty wet. Very disappointed in the cities lack of plowing some of the neighborhood roads. I know they can't get every road, but what they left behind is like a half frozen war zone. Deep ruts, pools of slush and half frozen chunks. What a dang mess. Shorts and a jersey to deliver and it felt really good in the sun. Spring break for the campus so they assumed it would be dead. They were oh so wrong. You wouldn't have known based on the amount of deliveries we had.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 2963/6000

weirdo
    4 weeks in a row now I pedaled every day to work (that's a record for me) might change come Monday supposed to be cold/windy/rainy.
    Go, Eugene, go!

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Took one of my dogs - she is a sled dog from a sprint racer's kennel, but she is the type of dog that would have never made it on the team. She is super skittish and generally does not like having anything behind her. Being a sprint dog, by mile 20 she was ready to call it a day.
    Not liking anything behind her I can see as being a not-very-good trait for a sled dog
    20 miles is a hell of a sprint, though. I remember reading an article on endurance for various animals and it seems sled dogs were something of an enigma.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Back to winter around here. ...and there was much rejoicing in NorCal... Mammoth Mountain just reported crossing over 300" for the season this weekend. That's more like it.
    Gimme wet! Yeah, we got some solid rain and a little snow. Not as wintery looking as you, though. Is 300 inches good for Mammoth? According to the news, most of the metering stations in CA were back down to a little below average snowpack for the March 1 survey. Looking pretty damp for the rest of the month though, so hopefully get back at least to average.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    A good one-way ride today, allowing me to go 37 mph in a 25 on the ice-spikers and into the wind, also avoided the rottie that nearly biffed me a few years go, he/she is not as fast as he/she used to be!
    37 into the wind on studs !?! Wow, how did you manage that? Maybe that ol rottie is not slowing down after all- just has a faster "rabbit" than he/she used to have
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    37 into the wind on studs !?! Wow, how did you manage that? Maybe that ol rottie is not slowing down after all- just has a faster "rabbit" than he/she used to have
    All the credit goes to gravity, they don't call it Hill St. for nothing!

CB of the East
    ^^I'm giving gravity some credit in my ride but it wasn't quite as positive. Guess what happened here.
    How was your commute today?-20160308_071415s.jpg
    I think this morning was my last lake crossing unless we get a cold snap, and soon. Tomorrow's supposed to be near 60F.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

No one calls me Maurice.
    Were you listening to the surfing song "Wipeout"??
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Were you listening to the surfing song "Wipeout"??
    No I think he was preparing his bike for a photo and his kickstand gave out on that ice. That's why his bike fell.

No commute today. Officially on spring "break", and I can do most everything I need to do from home, since I have only about 150 journal articles unread in my stack.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Not even doing the last 15 miles of the ride on a flat front tire could take the joy out of the first 60 degree afternoon of the season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^I'm giving gravity some credit in my ride but it wasn't quite as positive. Guess what happened here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160308_071415s.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	1055282
    I think this morning was my last lake crossing unless we get a cold snap, and soon. Tomorrow's supposed to be near 60F.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	1055283
    Looks like you tried to make a snow angel where your body landed lol!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

CB of the East
    Looks like you tried to make a snow angel where your body landed lol!
    Exactly! That's what I captioned the picture in Strava.

It's amazing how unforgiving that powder over ice is. Sneaky too.

I'm taking a car home today. Got the trail bike but the trails are undoubtedly muddy and at 50F I don't trust the lake any more. And I feel kinda like crap...

Moderator Moderator
    Great pix, bedwards, hope you are feeling better, and none too worse for the wear.

Today I was told by a fellow biker that I had exceeded the maximum bike allowance of our work landlord, lol; I left one bike by my cube last night when I drove that new-to-me car home, and rode another in today to DMV for car reg and then to work. Also, psyched when a DMV'r asked me if I rode there and said she wants to get a bike! Good stuff.

A honker later revealed himself as a coworker sassing me.

mtbr member
    Exactly! That's what I captioned the picture in Strava.

It's amazing how unforgiving that powder over ice is. Sneaky too.

I'm taking a car home today. Got the trail bike but the trails are undoubtedly muddy and at 50F I don't trust the lake any more. And I feel kinda like crap...
    Yep I remember the good old days living in a cold climate, had plenty of sore tailbones from slipping on what I "thought" was snow haha!
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    Unbelievable!!!! I have to keep reminding myself that I live in Michigan, and that this could only be temporary weather we are having. 68F and full sun for the ride in. Did I actually break a sweat riding???? I did, because the constant headwind, yeah, that was there. The snow here is relentless. Even after the warm day and full sun, there is still snow hanging on for dear life. Figured that the roads were going to be messy and still wet and I was for the most part right.

This is my latest acquisition. 58cm Specialized TriCross Elite. It is a brushed silver finish with really subdued grey Specialized graphics which looks really clean. So far I have swapped out the bar for an FSA Energy, FSA SL-K stem, wrapped it in my standard go to Lizard Skin DSP tape, added the SKS fenders, Cinelli seatpost, grey and red Selle San Marco Ponza saddle (needs to be angled nose up slightly) and some cool little minor things like alternating spacers under the stem. Volcano is matte, then I added gloss, then matte, then gloss again. The bike is pretty cool, BB5's (soon to be BB7's), SRAM Apex Double Tap, 2x10, it isn't that heavy. Rides really nicely and will roll even quicker when I go to a Continental CityRide tire after my first dirt/gravel road race in April.

Click to make it bigger!!

http://i.imgur.com/dl0vHUP.jpg

CB of the East
    ^^Sharp looking machine. I just looked up that bar tape. I don't usually pay that for bars.

The winter trail commuting is officially over. I brought the road bike in today. Short short season if you ask me.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^^Sharp looking machine. I just looked up that bar tape. I don't usually pay that for bars.

The winter trail commuting is officially over. I brought the road bike in today. Short short season if you ask me.
    Thanks. Yep, the tape is not the cheapest stuff out there but I love the feel and comfort it adds. Both of my drop bar bikes have it and I have it on the bullhorns on the fixed gear.

Unsure if I will ride today. Rain forecasted for most of the day and definitely tonight. I have fenders, but the thought of riding in the rain doesn't appeal to me today.

CB of the East
    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate good bar tape. The stuff on my F2X is beautiful. Like high end imitation Italian leather.

Sometimes riding in the rain is bad-ass. Sometimes riding in the rain is just a pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    took the studs off Monday...last vestige of ice has melted off my route...Even if it snows again it should be manageable...

about a month earlier than normal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It starts.

Dropped my bike off at the office so I can pick my way home. Didn't want to try to get to work via bike since I could get lost and be late. Figured going home to learn the way is more responsible.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    A good commute in today. Yesterday I ... gasp... drove. Granted, I did have to go pick up one of my children from the airport, but it still felt really odd to be driving. Twice in a year. I haven't done that since 2011. I did, however, get a chance to get out yesterday and have a nice run in an area I wouldn't be able to get to in a timely manner without the car, so I guess it was all for the good.

I keep thinking I should remove my studs - the ride in the valley is dry, dry, dry. In Anchorage, though, it is a mixed bag. The roads are clear right now, but the trails are snow, ice, and bare pavement. And it is still early enough that we could get a few more shots of snow or even freezing rain.

mtbr member
    Decided to give me some rest the last two days, was simply tired from the weekend. Last Saturday I tested a Specialized fatbike and the Crux CX bike. I decided I want hydro brakes on my bike too but hydro brakes for drop bar are still way too expensive I think. I can not believe that the technical stuff behind it is so different to MTB brakes that it justifies the price. I guess they are just topping off the market at the moment, so I will stick to mechanicals for a while. Weather was nasty too, just above freezing level and rain, no fenders on the bike so I was completely soaked after every ride.
    Sunday I was on the bike fair, rode some demo bikes as well: A Rohloff bike with the SRAM brifters, 2 cargo bikes, a trike and a bike with a Pinion IGH.
    -
    Nice rides today. -1C/30F this morning and 8C/45F on the way home. Had to avoid some icy puddles this morning, used them to test the braking of the continental wintercontacts. I concluded that you can brake on ice with those tires but better not use the front brake :-)

As it seems a period of nice weather is approaching the next days. Calm, sunny, 3C736F in the morning and 9C/50F in the afternoon. Ok I know its just Hamburg, not Michigan.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Decided to give it a go and ride today. Still cannot believe the amount of snow hanging on by a thread given the extremely warm weather we have had. Last night the low was 58F, and it hit 67F today when the sun was out. Headwinds were kicking my butt again. Getting to be a regular ritual. Something about the fit isn't right with the TriCross yet. Might be the saddle. Going to switch it out when I get up for a Specialized Phenom and see how that goes. Rain for the ride home but it was still 58F when I left work in shorts and a jersey. 100% humidity so I was wet. Fenders are dang nice, no lie. I hate them though. They keep me mostly dry which I am happy about. Getting some toe overlap on that front one and I keep knocking it crooked. Still getting used to road debris and rocks pinging off of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    and a bike with a Pinion IGH.
    I had no idea what that was so googled it. I assume this? News | PINION | DRIVE TECHNOLOGY | Really interesting tech. How was it?

First ride this week. Monday I had off to fix the car (gearbox swap). Tuesday was car shakedown day. Wednesday, rain, and the animals were pairing up so I drove (shame on me). Today was great!
    2016 - 2189/3000 commute miles as of 17/08/16

Moderator Moderator
    Shorts! Great rides yesterday in shorts at 45F and 65F (after dark!).

mtbr member
    @SlipSpace: Good that you are back on the bike again. We europeans have to keep up and now that Ghost_HTX fell silent, its up to us.
    The link that you provided is correct-its the Pinion Gearbox. THere are some threads on the Pinion in the IGH forum:
    Pinion Gearbox advancement
    Do you have a Pinion gearbox bike, come on in!

I put some air on the tires and lube on the chain yesterday. Today I had a 3kmh/2mph higher average. I guess it was due

Similar rides as yesterday today, just a tad faster. Good times.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Found a new way to clean brake pads...

After the winter my pads are pretty fouled up with oil salt and dirt....rotors squeak when stopping.

tossed them in the ultrasound cleaner for an hour and bingo no squeaking and great braking.

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    ...Rides really nicely and will roll even quicker when I go to a Continental CityRide tire after my first dirt/gravel road race in April.

New bike day is always exciting. I finally decided to get the right tool for CX season and picked up a used 2014 Ridley X Fire a few weeks ago. I'm going to be using it for gravel race season in April as well. I'll be in your neck of the woods for Barry Roubaix.

Back on topic, commutes have been fabulous this week. 50s in the morning and we actually hit 73 Tuesday afternoon. It has been raining all day today so I bailed on the commute and drove, but it appears Ohio has made a swift transition to spring and is not looking back. Not complaining at this point.
    Commute miles:
    2016: 611.5/3000

Help me raise money for cancer research!

Bedwards Of The West
    What ultrasound cleaner do you have Jeffscott? Got a link?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Bedwards Of The West
    "Miracle March" continues here in NorCal. Reservoirs are filling, farmers are rejoicing, rain is relentlessly falling. El Nino is our hombre. SuperSoaker of a commute this morning... no GoreTex yet, so it was extra lame getting soaked through my cheap rain gear while feeling somehow entitled to be wrapped in expensive stuff.

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-03-10-10.01.31-am.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What ultrasound cleaner do you have Jeffscott? Got a link?
    https://www.riogrande.com/Product/el...cleaner/336112

It looks like this one except it is branded Ikone (I think).....I got it used from an old Chinese couple that run a lapidary shop....Big warehouse probably 25000 Ft2 filled to the roof with stuff....neat place.

Bedwards Of The West
    Daaaaaang $$$$$

I need to find me an old Chinese couple.
    I would use the heck out of one of those though...

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    New bike day is always exciting. I finally decided to get the right tool for CX season and picked up a used 2014 Ridley X Fire a few weeks ago. I'm going to be using it for gravel race season in April as well. I'll be in your neck of the woods for Barry Roubaix.

Back on topic, commutes have been fabulous this week. 50s in the morning and we actually hit 73 Tuesday afternoon. It has been raining all day today so I bailed on the commute and drove, but it appears Ohio has made a swift transition to spring and is not looking back. Not complaining at this point.
    Which course are you doing? I am signing up tonight. Did it a few years ago and was ill prepared on a FS 26er.

Bedwards Of The West
    Getting some press over on the Gore-Tex facebook page
    Not sure why they didn't use that picture for the contest... better than the foot one in my humble opinion

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-03-10-12.24.33-pm.png

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Which course are you doing? I am signing up tonight. Did it a few years ago and was ill prepared on a FS 26er.
    I'm doing the 36 miler. Wasn't sure what to expect and at the time I signed up I was supposed to be doing a "cobbles" ride the next day back in CLE (has now been moved to another weekend of course).
    Commute miles:
    2016: 611.5/3000

Help me raise money for cancer research!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    88 km/h headwind for the ride home ouch

Moderator Moderator
    "Miracle March" continues here in NorCal.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 10.01.31 AM.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	1055906
    Wow, around here, we call that illegal discharge to waters of the state, no good for water critters, where is all that muddy water from?

Moderator Moderator
    About 50F both ways, but super soggy and foggy on the way home. "Light rain mist" was a boldfaced lie, pouring rain with puddles over potholes more accurate.

VT's mud season is early; not on my route, but not good...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-mud2016.jpg  

Bedwards Of The West
    Wow, around here, we call that illegal discharge to waters of the state, no good for water critters, where is all that muddy water from?
    That's the side of a mountain washing down a gully and into the creek grain by grain. Just that much rain. No ugly source, just sediment from the deluge.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    I'm doing the 36 miler. Wasn't sure what to expect and at the time I signed up I was supposed to be doing a "cobbles" ride the next day back in CLE (has now been moved to another weekend of course).
    Sent you a PM, not sure if you got it. I am doing the same route. Not sure if we could ride together due to our age differences.

mtbr member
    Dutchman - thanks for the links to the IGH. I really must use more of this forum.

Getting some press over on the Gore-Tex facebook page
    Not sure why they didn't use that picture for the contest... better than the foot one in my humble opinion

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 12.24.33 PM.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	1055958
    I agree. Great pic, very atmospheric

Eeeek! That's pretty bad! Does the bike sink through that or can you float over the top?

About 3C out this morning but quite still and dry. Well I say dry, while it has not rained for a couple of days the meadows are pretty flooded

How was your commute today?-dsc_0145.jpg
    2016 - 2189/3000 commute miles as of 17/08/16

weirdo
    Yuck! Not your route, but it that your work car? If so, I hope you managed to get it out okay!

Nice to see all that flowing water (muddy or not) and hear that your river and creeks are running high, CB. A member of another forum I visit lives next to the south fork of the Feather down in Feather Falls, says it`s really raging and Oroville has come up dramatically in the past few weeks. I haven`t even been down to look at the Truckee lately, need to do that over the weekend.
    PS: Yeah, that`s a nice pic too, but I really do like your winning foot shot better.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Thankfully that pic was not my car or a work car stuck in the mud! I dislike riding muddy roads, it feels like someone is holding onto your tires and preventing forward motion - too much work!

The other morning I panicked a student driver by taking the lane behind him/her. We were moving along nicely through the few "downtown" blocks, but when they noticed me they kept slowing down, until they finally came to a complete stop right in the lane with their right blinker on. I passed on the left and not sure what happened next.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    About 50F both ways, but super soggy and foggy on the way home. "Light rain mist" was a boldfaced lie, pouring rain with puddles over potholes more accurate.

Wow... I guess you would need a super + fat + bike to get through that...

I'm back, guys! I've been slowly settling into my new job, so that means no commuting on the bike (no riding at all, actually thanks to recurring ill health - nothing major, just a really really long cold then the flu, then sinusitis, then the cold again) since December... Plus, all that rain you guys are having? Well - we are getting the same precipitation, but snow... Yep - there has been a lot of snow this year - which makes riding time hard to come by for the average dad of small child + full time job holding +++ type guy... I'm even considering buying one of those Tackx indoor roller thingies... Seriously, my legs are like toothpicks and my cardio... don't get me started on my cardio... I'm planning on getting back on the bike after the Easter break...

Anyways - great to see all the regulars still rolling along. I have a lot of respect for you guys!

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I can't believe how nice the weather has been for early March. I've been messing around with my GoPro and made some time lapse videos of my 2 commutes.

This first one is from work, then out to eat with the family, then home:
    https://youtu.be/BopsAC2QdT0

This one is a round trip to and from my second office building:
    https://youtu.be/8_9l-TDuBGk

weirdo
    ^^That`s quite a bike path system in the first video. Bummer there are so many on-grade crossings for the next one. What city?
    Recalculating....

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    ^^That`s quite a bike path system in the first video. Bummer there are so many on-grade crossings for the next one. What city?
    This is in Omaha, Nebraska. I rather enjoy the first ride much better than the second one. I'm very lucky that this trail system goes right by where I work, otherwise I probably wouldn't commute to work.

CB of the East
    Daaaaaang $$$$$

I need to find me an old Chinese couple.
    I would use the heck out of one of those though...
    I have this one but you do get what you pay for. Something in the middle of the road would probably be best. I've always thought it should work a little better than it does.
    Amazon.com - Generic Sonic Wave CD-2800 Ultrasonic Jewelry & Eyeglass Cleaner (White/Gray) - Electronics Cleaning Products

Good news on the rain out west! Mud season here too. I'm avoiding all trails and dirt roads. Unfortunately that includes the upper part of my driveway.

I almost T-boned a pickup yesterday. I was going through an intersection with lots of stopped traffic, keeping close attention to the intersection. Just past the intersection cars had stopped to let a pickup into the gas station but due to a tall vehicle I couldn't see him and he couldn't see me. In a "Premium Rush"esqe display of skidding and bike handling I steered clear of his rear bumper by a foot and continued on.

This weekend has more late spring like temps forecast and it's still technically winter.

mtbr member
    Absolutely glorious to go from 20 degrees, hard rolling studded tires, hats, jackets, pants, boots, gloves etc. to summer tires and shorts!

I feel like I lost 100 pounds.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have this one but you do get what you pay for. Something in the middle of the road would probably be best. I've always thought it should work a little better than it does.
    Amazon.com - Generic Sonic Wave CD-2800 Ultrasonic Jewelry & Eyeglass Cleaner (White/Gray) - Electronics Cleaning Products

Good news on the rain out west! Mud season here too. I'm avoiding all trails and dirt roads. Unfortunately that includes the upper part of my driveway.

I almost T-boned a pickup yesterday. I was going through an intersection with lots of stopped traffic, keeping close attention to the intersection. Just past the intersection cars had stopped to let a pickup into the gas station but due to a tall vehicle I couldn't see him and he couldn't see me. In a "Premium Rush"esqe display of skidding and bike handling I steered clear of his rear bumper by a foot and continued on.

This weekend has more late spring like temps forecast and it's still technically winter.
    looks good

They rate US cleaners by watts....but I am pretty sure that the largest wattage is the heating coil not the transducers....so you get quick heat up time to 80C....

Mine has two transducers.....I think one transducer would be just fine.

Obivously transducer power matters....but the really hot 80C is a big help too.

mtbr member
    I had one similar to Bedward's link, and it lasted 3 years. Not heated. This one is not heated either but the separate tank is nice for cleanup. I use it with an ice bath to make liposomal Vitamin C:

http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-IVUC96.../dp/B00E5PCX1A