Page 391 of 594 FirstFirst ... 291 341 381 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 401 441 491 ... LastLast
Results 9,751 to 9,775 of 14829
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This morning I came upon two tiny killdeer whose wings didn't quite work yet. They tried outrunning me, then veered off into the grass. The mother immediately sprung into action, flying diagonally across the MUP and making a bunch of noise. She soon realized I had no intention of hurting her young or her. I don't think I've ever seen killdeer this small before.

The weather is beautiful right now. It was 57F on the way in and will be in the 70s on the way home. Most importantly, the sun is shining.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Did she try to get you to buy into the whole broken wing thing? There was one on a path I walk and momma bird was so into her act to distract me from the nest that she eventually led me to it. Unfortunately I missed the baby's. Very pretty eggs though.
    How was your commute today?-killdeer-002.jpg

Boy I love my suspension. Taking the fatbike on the singletrack on the commute home was fun last night but there's nothing like the full suspension to suck up the bumps! This stray bike didn't have a FS and couldn't quite huck over these rocks.
    How was your commute today?-2013-05-08-06.38.02.jpg

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

^^^that is one heck of a saddle position on your bike, the track bike of mtbr. I'm gonna take a stab and say you started mountain biking in the 90's.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Hmm, am I doing it wrong? I think I actually started in the tail end of the 80s. I also have long legs and road bike roots. If the saddle is lower I feel all cramped and seem to have less power. If the saddle is any lower my knees don't even get close to full extension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Did she try to get you to buy into the whole broken wing thing? There was one on a path I walk and momma bird was so into her act to distract me from the nest that she eventually led me to it. Unfortunately I missed the baby's. Very pretty eggs though.
    No. She didn't do that whole dance. I imagine she would if I had stuck around. I used to work maintenance at a school during my summer breaks in college, and there was a killdeer that was constantly doing the whole wing thing. I never saw a nest or any of her chicks. (I did run over a nest of rabbits with a riding mower, which kind of sucked.)

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

No no, not "wrong" by any means....maybe antiquated is the word I would use ;-) . Next time you are up for a new bike, think about moving up a size, and look at some riser bars. With a more upright seating position you will have less weight on your bars, easing pressure on your hands, opening your heartspace, giving your lungs a better chance to expand, your core muscles less of a crunch, and by and large making technical riding easier, and lower back pain will ease...if you have any.

mtbr member
    My coworker was less than enthusiastic about my offer, not that I blame her since the Wal-Schwinn isn't something to get excited about, but a free, working bike in good shape with no strings attached is something to smile about. Then again, it's one less thing to complain and gripe about, which is something of a hobby for her.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

I Ride for Donuts
    Lovely post-rainstorm morning out there today. Here's me taking the worst possible line through some potholes (I think I missed them...but look at the perfect dirt to the left?) and grabbing a gear on the pavement. Took the GoPro on a whim this morning.
    How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg

How was your commute today?-picture2.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    No no, not "wrong" by any means....maybe antiquated is the word I would use ;-) . Next time you are up for a new bike, think about moving up a size, and look at some riser bars. With a more upright seating position you will have less weight on your bars, easing pressure on your hands, opening your heartspace, giving your lungs a better chance to expand, your core muscles less of a crunch, and by and large making technical riding easier, and lower back pain will ease...if you have any.
    That's the biggest size they make. All of my mountain bikes are the biggest size they make. My 9er had a more upright stance when I got it and it just felt wrong so i dropped the bars some after a few rides. I guess I prefer an "aggressive stance" or attack position.

I do think the angle of that shot exaggerates the seat height. When the bike is level it looks more normal and once the suspension sags it's even lower.

Next time I'm up for a new bike, LOL, I've bought 2 since December. The next one on the ticket is a carbon cross bike...................probably not this year.

weirdo
    CB, you cut me off. I was JUST about to post how nice it was to ride home this morning post rain! Looked a lot like your morning except mine is all paved.
    EDIT: Man, have you checked out the weekend forecast? Zippity doo daa! Going to try a Reno-Truckee short cut that I`ve never ridden before.

And it`s nice to see that our lazy killdeer aren`t any worse at nest building than their funny talking eastern cousins
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Then again, it's one less thing to complain and gripe about, which is something of a hobby for her.
    Ha! Can`t say as I blame her because complaining and griping are two of my favorite pastimes too!
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Took the GoPro on a whim this morning.
    And the crotch mount adapter.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Well its Bike to Work Month here so every idiot and their brothers are out there riding on the wrong side of the street, running red lights and basically riding like complete douches. Tomorrows bike to work day. It's going to be a long ****ing day. Im going to be glad when its over
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    And the crotch mount adapter.
    I'm sure it's a nice change from taking pictures 'out the wazoo'.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    I'm sure it's a nice change from taking pictures 'out the wazoo'.
    Huh? Why didn`t he post those pics?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Prob'ly cause they turned out 'crappy'?

I Ride for Donuts
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Good commute this AM. Nice and fast. Came down a hill and blew by a couple of moose just off to the side of the trail. Fortunately, they were not too interested in me. If there were... well, let's just say I wouldn't have been able to do much about it except get stomped. Mama and young bull. Couldn't get close enough to get a pic of it, but the bull was just starting to bud his antlers for the summer.

Name:  8719956549_65c4c7e42e_m.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  24.1 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice ride in. Was off of the bike for a few days for no good reason other than being lazy. Really had to convince myself that it wasn't that cold out. 60F give or take! Haha!

I still can't fathom riding in some of the weather that you guys get out it! My hat is off to you who ride in what appears to the Floridian living in San Diego to be the arctic tundra! I'm such a wuss!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Sub 45 min ride in, fast, fun, almost snow/ice free, almost...

mtbr member
    Punched a minivan today. I was walking my bike through a lighted crosswalk, and a BMW swerved around me, being douchy enough that I should have punched it. And then following that a minivan did the exact same thing, so WHAM. The lack of respect people have for crosswalks (and in my case I only use crosswalks that have big flashing lights) is ridiculous. I really need to get gloves with knuckle armour so that I can do some decent damage when it's called for.

And this morning on a quiet residential road approaching a t-intersection with a stopsign a jeep sped up to pass me, didn't even kindof actually pass me, and decided to right turn into me even though I was right next to the passenger door. After screaming at her she just gave me a dirty look. I should have called her fat and made fun of her, because knowing that she almost ran someone over clearly didn't do anything to ruin her day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    And this morning on a quiet residential road approaching a t-intersection with a stopsign a jeep sped up to pass me, didn't even kindof actually pass me, and decided to right turn into me even though I was right next to the passenger door. After screaming at her she just gave me a dirty look. I should have called her fat and made fun of her, because knowing that she almost ran someone over clearly didn't do anything to ruin her day.
    Don't do that, she might stop and pull a gun/razor or threaten to make you babysit her 19 kids all under the age of 4. Better to get her license plate number and report her as an attempted vehicle assault, and say yes I'd like to press charges. Won't go anywhere without witnesses but it'll get her attention when Officer Murphy knocks on her door and says "Ma'am you need to come with me".

Two Wheeled Terror

Re: How was your commute today?

I had mostly good commutes today but a pickup truck didn't want me to pass him and tried to run me into a curb after he saw me. Ibwas beside the bed when he jerked to the right. I have a good idea where he lives. He might have some very ruined tires tomorrow.

sent by carrier pigeon

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Well its Bike to Work Month here so every idiot and their brothers are out there riding on the wrong side of the street, running red lights and basically riding like complete douches. Tomorrows bike to work day. It's going to be a long ****ing day. Im going to be glad when its over
    Well, at least they are riding bikes, even if wildly.

mtbr member
    Can tell school is nearly out and the weather's getting nice: getting yelled at by young idiots in cars. Add the summer people streaming in and commuting is getting more dangerous daily. But at least the weather is nice. Can't complain about mid-60s in May in Arizona!

Two Wheeled Terror

Re: How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    Can tell school is nearly out and the weather's getting nice: getting yelled at by young idiots in cars. Add the summer people streaming in and commuting is getting more dangerous daily. But at least the weather is nice. Can't complain about mid-60s in May in Arizona!
    Agreed!! I'm not far in the desert of socal and its been wonderful!

sent by carrier pigeon