Page 391 of 420 FirstFirst ... 291341381387388389390391392393394395401 ... LastLast
Results 19,501 to 19,550 of 20992
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    37F and raining, basically the most annoying weather possible.

I need to find some sort of contest where I can win a bunch of Goretex.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Today was really nice. Ended up being 42F and sunny, some wind out of the east. Delivery was really good, not too busy, not too slow, just enough to keep everything moving nicely. Rode to the hospital to check my work schedule for the rest of the week. This week as far as riding goes is more than likely done for me. Forecast for tomorrow is calling for heavy winds in the 40mph range with snow anywhere from 6-10" of the wet heavy stuff. Don't really feel like being out on a bike in that so the car is going to see some duty.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3208/6000

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    37F and raining, basically the most annoying weather possible.

I need to find some sort of contest where I can win a bunch of Goretex.
    Could happen...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Now that the storm is over and I'm not pushing through snow I feel so fast.

Moderator Moderator
    Saw 2 other bikecommuters today, awesome! Both were also women - awesomer! One I know from a FB commuter group, and the other I know from work - and who may or may not have a new to her bike - that one kicked my a** up the hill.

A rough day at work made the return trip all the more valuable. You simply cannot swallow humble pie in car.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Sure, that's what we all tell everyone who asks. We know you didn't really forget.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ I've forgotten all my clothes once or twice.
    And if we`re suspicious about somebody "forgetting" underware once, it really raises questions about one who forgets ALL his clothes a second time!

I drove last night and I`m glad. Big job going on (replacing bearings in a giant fan) that needed all hands on deck, or at least as many as possible. Swing shift guy stayed over until 3AM, I started at 3 and worked 12. Doing the same again tonight (this morning?), and I`ll be happily driving again. Hopefully we`ll have it wrapped up today and be done with it, back to our regular schedules.

Good luck with the gritty eyeball, Newf.

MtbX, have you seen the co-worker whom you gifted your ex-Bianchi to since the change of hands? I bet she`s excited.
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Saw 2 other bikecommuters today, awesome! Both were also women - awesomer! One I know from a FB commuter group, and the other I know from work - and who may or may not have a new to her bike - that one kicked my a** up the hill.

A rough day at work made the return trip all the more valuable. You simply cannot swallow humble pie in car.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post

And if we`re suspicious about somebody "forgetting" underware once, it really raises questions about one who forgets ALL his clothes a second time!

I drove last night and I`m glad. Big job going on (replacing bearings in a giant fan) that needed all hands on deck, or at least as many as possible. Swing shift guy stayed over until 3AM, I started at 3 and worked 12. Doing the same again tonight (this morning?), and I`ll be happily driving again. Hopefully we`ll have it wrapped up today and be done with it, back to our regular schedules.

Good luck with the gritty eyeball, Newf.

MtbX, have you seen the co-worker whom you gifted your ex-Bianchi to since the change of hands? I bet she`s excited.
    I think that she has seen her, and got her butt kicked by her.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Weather is still pretty miserable, 40F, raining and 25-30mph winds. Amazing how this weather coincides with selling my car.

I did however put a deposit down on a new ride, and you should all prepare yourselves to be jealous when it arrives.

Bedwards Of The West
    I keep wearing not enough clothes for the upper 20's in the morning, because of the lower 50's that I know are coming in the afternoon. Cold cold ride in, will feel like spring on the way home.

Still no email from Gore-Tex... suspense builds.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I bring a weeks worth of clothes in at a time, underwear included.

Yes, lots of good solid trails. About to change again tomorrow with rain.

The full moon has been spectacular.
    Attachment 1051948
    Underwear whats that????

Still havn't had a chance to check out your lake video cant do it at work.

NDD
    Baby boy
    University closed today because of a little snow. Snow coming down and 25-30 mph winds. I guess I'll just stay home and work on things I can do here. Conference abstracts don't write themselves after all.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

Bedwards Of The West
    Just firmed up plans to attend the NAHBS this weekend... super excited.

NAHBS | North American Handmade Bicycle Show

~ B A D A S S ~
    Today was about -5C and to me thats about as optimal as it gets temperature wise for the winter season. No slush, no rain, and no overheating.
    I noticed there is only about 3 people or so that i meet on my commute. And during the summer its like 30. A few years ago I was completely alone during the winter.

Only real downside today is that a few days ago it was a lot of snow and - degrees, and then suddenly it melted for a short while and people walked around in the slush, and now that "texturized" slush is frozen. I wish I had a front shox in some places. Its that bad. its like brrrrrrdonkbrrrrrdonkdonkbrrrrrr.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Although my parental leave is going towards the end (will start working again in March 1st) I am still not commuting - but I did manage to connect some errands today to a 2hr ride of 36km/~20m. During the first minutes it was only 1C/31F and I was surprised by a real snowshower ( see rule #9 :P ). Later on temps went up to 5C/41F, sunny and a slight tailwind. Picked up some of my special cheese and later new bartape and inner cables for cockpit overhaul. Cables are by now already installed. Right lever needs to be readjusted, after that I can wrap the bar and my "agent orange" is ready for another 6000km. Oh yes my agent orange hit the 6000km/~3750m marker.

Since I hardly rode these first two months of the year I will probably not manage to reach my mileage of last year but spending two months with my kids is definately worth it to me :-) Just my oldest is slacking a bit lately when it comes to cycling :8 I hope it gets better when the weather turns better again.

My speedometer (Sigma 14.12 alti) had condensed water under the display so I had to write down all info, took out the battery and let it dry. When I put it back together, I noticed that all information was still in there so no manually entering of all previous data. Just put it back on, ready to go. So riding and cockpit overhaul today. Today is a good day

~ B A D A S S ~
    how cold does it get in holland usually?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Where I am from, at the coast and in hamburg / germany where I Iive now it is about the same. Usually just above freezing level with wind and rainshowers. Sometimes sunny and below freezing level in the morning, but that is rare. This applies mostly to fall,.winter and spring. Summer can also be wet, just a bit warmer.

We profit from the warm gulfstream that is bringing warm seawater even in winter.

Basically exactly what F4S described above. Rule nr 9 applies, as nr 5.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Still havn't had a chance to check out your lake video cant do it at work.
    Don't get your hopes up too high.

The ice is moving around a lot on the lake now. Last year I crossed the lake on April 9th. This year I'm wondering if I'll make March 9th.

Fresh Powder Over Ice
    Cyclist Meets Ground Twice
    Play the Game and Pay the Price

Tonight's commute looks to be 33F rain - nice!

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Usually just above freezing level with wind and rainshowers.
    we call that summer here.

Specialized sucks ass.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I think that she has seen her, and got her butt kicked by her.
    Haha, yes, but not on the Bianchi, that will put her into overdrive come spring! A mystery gifter left me a sixpack in the fridge last week with a kidnapper type note cut from mags, so I figured the jig was up and we discussed this evening. Everyone is happy with the trade. She is adjusting some bits like the stem, but it will work and she is psyched for that piece of steel, and I am psyched for it to be ridden!

Moderator Moderator
    The winter that wasn't continues it's romp through VT - today was 1" snow, then freezing rain, then rain, then icy spots, now rain again. Currently 32.7F, then a low of 29F, with rain and up to 47F tomorrow. Ugh!

NDD
    Baby boy
    The winter that wasn't continues it's romp through VT - today was 1" snow, then freezing rain, then rain, then icy spots, now rain again. Currently 32.7F, then a low of 39F, with rain and up to 47F tomorrow. Ugh!
    I fear the bugs are going to be very bad this year. This weekend was about 70+F in So Ill, and I was getting bit by mosquitoes.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I think so too. I was thinking bout how cozy the ticks must be in this mild winter.

I'd rather be on my bike
    The winter that is just hit Michigan. We have about 7" so far of really heavy wet snow/slush. Temps are still in the upper 20's and we are forecasted for another possible 5" tonight, and another 1" or so tomorrow. I drove, but honestly, wasn't sure if I was going to make it home. High horsepower, rear wheel drive and summer tires that are almost bald. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. They plowed the roads at least a few times over the course of the day. I was only worried about the entrance to the complex, and the entrance to my parking lot. Made it through both and into my car port. Whew. Oh, there were 25+ mph gusts and it should continue through the night like this. Sunday? Rain and the upper 40's. WTH?

weirdo
    Snowstorms are not even on my radar at this time. Yesterday afternoon I was working on the roof and found myself wishing for either a cool breeze or for that pesky sun to go behind the clouds. CRAZY shifts so far this week- hope to finish the nasty project we`ve been working on by noon today so we can all get back to our normal routine. I have been driving all week.
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    So today will be another non riding commute. We have at least a foot of snow now, and it is still snowing. Shoveled my car out of my car port and they are cleaning up the complex nicely. They said possibly another couple of inches today, and then it should be done. State and city is closed down so I know that the MUP is not going to get plowed so not even considering riding to work. There would really be no safe way for me to get there.

mtbr member
    I've been not commuting much this week. The plan was to go work from the office today, but 39F, 15mph steady winds with gusts into the mid-30s, and intermittent rain made me question my motivations for going into the office. So instead, I am working from home again. I seem to be on a quest to get fewer than 1000 miles this year or something! Tomorrow is a sure commute, though, as my daughters are both racing at the state XC skiing championship and I'll want to go see them do that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ^^ I think so too. I was thinking bout how cozy the ticks must be in this mild winter.
    Saw a bunch of mosquitos when I was out skiing...they need I think two nights above freezing to hatch.

CB of the East
    Wow, mosquitoes in February in Jeffscott, Canada!

Our snow is all but gone with another 50F rainy day. I think our biggest storm so far has been 6" of snow.

The trails last night were quite a puddlefest. I was leaving a wake like a boat going across the lake. We're got a hard freeze tomorrow night and then mostly below freezing in the forecast, more or less.

mtbr member
    So I assume I'm not alone in this: if I see someone else on a bike I will check out their ride. Normally it's a quick "Meh, walmart bike" or "Meh, norco/giant/trek".

Last year I got a surprisingly friendly smile from a woman that I must have been staring at (but honestly I was mostly interested in her vintage fixie, and I actually kindof wanted to yell that out to her, but figured that would have just made it worse).

This morning I had an oncoming commuter absolutely ogling my dropbar 26+ frankenbike. It must look really weird when approaching head-on, but eyes up here mister.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^

It feels so good here in NorCal to have had enough of a winter to really enjoy late February mornings like this. Still seeing clumps of snow just up the road from the house in the shaded areas, still chilly in the mornings, but you all know this feeling...

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-02-25-10.49.04-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice picture CB!

Moderator Moderator
    Wow, this "winter" continues to s*ck. Rain all day, road flooding/closures, then back to 20F tonight. Ice is still insane on my back 40/snowmachine trails (which never opened once this winter, one kinda sad attempt to groom). I have had to wear microspikes for the last week, and today the dog I am taking care of slipped while running downhill, slid on his tummy about 25' at speed, went into a 180,with back legs splayed like a frog, got up, and was fine. Bikecommuting delayed due to another pup I was supposed to pick up -and his unreliable mom/friend - but now I have to drive again tomorrow to get him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^

It feels so good here in NorCal to have had enough of a winter to really enjoy late February mornings like this. Still seeing clumps of snow just up the road from the house in the shaded areas, still chilly in the mornings, but you all know this feeling...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.49.04 AM.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	1052415
    Trying to win another photo contest CB?
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Wow! go away for a couple of days with works and there's quite a few pages to catch up on! Seems to be a lot of crazy changeable weather about for some of you. Mine has settled a bit now here in the UK and is supposed to for the forseeable future in my little patch. Days 4to8C, nights -3 to +2C and generally dry.

Good to be back on the bike this morning after the trip, fortunately the colleague I traveled with brought my laptop and files and other client meet clutter with him in his car.
    2016 - 2547/3000 commute miles as of 23/09/16

CB of the East
    Wow, this "winter" continues to s*ck. Rain all day, road flooding/closures, then back to 20F tonight. Ice is still insane on my back 40/snowmachine trails (which never opened once this winter, one kinda sad attempt to groom). I have had to wear microspikes for the last week, and today the dog I am taking care of slipped while running downhill, slid on his tummy about 25' at speed, went into a 180,with back legs splayed like a frog, got up, and was fine. Bikecommuting delayed due to another pup I was supposed to pick up -and his unreliable mom/friend - but now I have to drive again tomorrow to get him.
    I know, right! Exactly the same around here. Blame me, I got the fun new fatbike which I was supposed to race on Sunday but they may call it due to ice. I think it might still go on but on dirt because even most of the ice is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Trying to win another photo contest CB?
    Nah, that's his ugly left foot.

Haven't been on the bike for 2 days due to vehicle needs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Nah, that's his ugly left foot.
    Other than accidently taking the left one too I think I nailed it at the first attempt: TWO left feet on this pic Who's in for more than two??

How was your commute today?-dscn1053.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I'll have to learn how to take these foot photos one day lol!

How was my commute? Better than this guy's.

2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    This is by far the windiest winter I can remember. I use the term winter lightly, as we got about a foot of snow this past Wednesday, and it is gone now. Today it was 56F and sunny, oh, and windy as well. Winds out of the NW kicked my butt on the ride in. Still a bit wet out with this huge melt so the fendered bike got some duty. Ride home was pretty bad. It had rained, and the temp quickly dropped from 54F to 35F in a matter of an hour or so. Was sprinkling for the ride home, which quickly turned to snow. Here I am in shorts, rain jacket, gloves etc. riding in a light blizzard. It came out of nowhere and left in 10 minutes. Wind was smacking me around from the SE, and then boom, hits me from the NW almost knocking me off my bike. It was like riding inside a dang tornado at some points.

weirdo
    Shameful confession...
    I drove to work FIVE days in a row last week. The first time I`d done that since recuperating from a knee blowout in the fall of 2009 or 2010. I sort of had an excuse (a lame one) that I won`t even bother with. Though it doesn`t make up for the ugly truth, I did commute by bike last night and tonight since we ended up working this weekend.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    The wind is gusting to 40 mph outside my rattling window. I've only missed about three days commuting in the last 10 months.

Hmm......decision time.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

CB of the East
    Shameful confession...
    I drove to work FIVE days in a row last week. The first time I`d done that since recuperating from a knee blowout in the fall of 2009 or 2010. I sort of had an excuse (a lame one) that I won`t even bother with. Though it doesn`t make up for the ugly truth, I did commute by bike last night and tonight since we ended up working this weekend.
    Forgiven.

Now get on your bike. Are you still at the same place? I thought they were going to shut you down 6 months ago.

Road commute for me. The lake has it's spring face on. Warm weekend means that the edges are all open and I didn't' want to ride with a plank.

mtbr member
    Shameful confession...
    Hey Rodar, don't beat yourself up over it......that's what we're here for. That's just a poor show!

Just hard work this morning and I have a stiff back. Spent yesterday morning shifting furniture and white goods (fridges/washers etc) back into place after having new floor laid in the kitchen and dining rooms. The afternoon lying mostly under the car. Need to change out the gearbox (not quite out yet) and despite laying on carpet the cold ground just got to me.
    2016 - 2547/3000 commute miles as of 23/09/16

weirdo
    Five Hail Sheldons and sin no more

Still at the same place and my employee ID number will be of legal drinking age in June. There has never an official announcement that we`re shutting down, just speculation by the masses. In fact, the official word from local management up is that things are rosy (the quarterly pep rallies are an awful lot like listening to the Bagdhad Bob, the Iraqui information minister). Still no telling how many months or years or weeks we have left, but the industry as a whole is in an unstoppable downslide.
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    Five Hail Sheldons and sin no more
    LOL.

I had 2 days off last week and need to drive tomorrow for a dentist appointment. It happens.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    A bit of a drizzle this morning, but warm enough in the mid 40s.

Plus, we get whole extra day of biking this year and I finally crossed 500 miles for the year.

mtbr member
    A return to winter today, with an inch of snow on the ground and the temperature dropping to 5F. I actually had to go searching for my standard-level gloves, because they'd gotten put away a few weeks ago.

The end of February has me thinking of weather nerdery again.

I'm tempting fate because March can occasionally be nasty, but so far I have had no rides below -30C(-22F) this year. And this has been my winter ever without a ride below -25C(-13). And amazingly, I haven't even had a ride below -20C(-4F)

And for the non-canadians/alaskans out there, if those seem like weird things to be cheering, here's what my winters normally look like:

How was your commute today?-really-cold-commutes-nov-feb.jpg
    (I must have had the two -20 days off this year)

This is my 10th winter not driving to work: 3 walking, and now 7 riding.

2010-2011 was my second year riding, and it apparently sucked. Fully 25% of the rides were below -20C/-4F (44 out of 190ish). And it set some sort of mental baseline, because any year that doesn't have weeks and weeks of really cold days seems easy.

Bedwards Of The West
    Sweet foot shot Dutchman!! haha.

Fantastic weekend. Went to the NAHBS in Sacramento, took a million pics, shook some hands... Zap, Steve Potts, Brent Foes, the new owner of Moots (forgot his name), Tom Ritchey... So many outstanding bikes. My personal "best in show" was this Moots drop bar 29er bike packing gravel destroying monster. Gorgeous Ti and a carbon Salsa fork. They had it all loaded up with bikepacking bags later in the day... probably to cover up my drool marks.

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-02-29-8.22.56-am.jpg

OK that or this Black Sheep:

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-02-29-8.25.47-am.jpg

I have a million more pics. So many showstoppers.

Got a couple stickers for the basement lab too:

How was your commute today?-12718117_10207518190064428_3027815755148895431_n.jpg

AND I've been trading emails with Gore-Tex. I do indeed get to pick my own items and create my own Gore-Tex prize package. So I'm having fun spending $800 on the Gore Bike Wear website.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    A return to winter today, with an inch of snow on the ground and the temperature dropping to 5F. I actually had to go searching for my standard-level gloves, because they'd gotten put away a few weeks ago.

The end of February has me thinking of weather nerdery again.

I'm tempting fate because March can occasionally be nasty, but so far I have had no rides below -30C(-22F) this year. And this has been my winter ever without a ride below -25C(-13). And amazingly, I haven't even had a ride below -20C(-4F)

And for the non-canadians/alaskans out there, if those seem like weird things to be cheering, here's what my winters normally look like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Really Cold Commutes Nov-Feb.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	1053303
    (I must have had the two -20 days off this year)

This is my 10th winter not driving to work: 3 walking, and now 7 riding.

2010-2011 was my second year riding, and it apparently sucked. Fully 25% of the rides were below -20C/-4F (44 out of 190ish). And it set some sort of mental baseline, because any year that doesn't have weeks and weeks of really cold days seems easy.

Pretty sure my record low was -21C this year....not at all like the -36C a three or four years ago...

Look out for a long cool spring....common with El Nino years.

mtbr member
    Worked from home for two hours and the wind died down A LOT. Nice ride but after our warm weather lately 25f felt a bit cool.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

I'd rather be on my bike
    Absolutely blasted by wind riding to deliver. Got blasted the whole time I delivered. And of course blasted on the ride home. Decided to drive today since they are forecasting more snow and it was dry enough to ride the fixed gear to deliver but didn't want to possibly get wrecked with snow for the ride home tonight. Ended up in shorts and a jersey halfway into my shift even though it was only in the upper 30's and sunny. It is funny how quickly you get warmed up doing these blasts onto campus and the surrounding areas.

Will more than likely drive Tuesday and I deliver Wednesday so the SS MTB might see some duty, just depends on the amount of that F*($!N white stuff we get. Damnit.