Page 390 of 428 FirstFirst ... 290340380386387388389390391392393394400 ... LastLast
Results 19,451 to 19,500 of 21374
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post

There are still spots in the middle of the lake that are open water with ice all around them which freaks me out a little, like how is that possible.
    Remember bottom water is at 40 F (highest density for liquid water)....top water is at 32 F (Fresh Lake). All it takes is a little bit of solar heating through the ice to cause the cold stuff to sink and the warm stuff to rise. This causes a convection current to set up...same thing happens when the spring thaws start...most lakes will have a process like this going on.

CB of the East
    Luckily it typically happens in the same spots every year the same with pressure ridges.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Luckily it typically happens in the same spots every year the same with pressure ridges.
    Yup that and the contour of the bottom. usually very predictable. Rivers in and out are another source that can cause circulation of the bottom water.

CB of the East
    The rivers are much easier to understand than some weird thermocline that happens in a deep section of lake. We have one river that feeds the lake with relatively low flow yet there is a 1/2 mile or longer section of lake that almost never freezes. Most of the open water sections are also near shallow sections. Those don't bother me either.

So, what kind of engineer are you?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The rivers are much easier to understand than some weird thermocline that happens in a deep section of lake. We have one river that feeds the lake with relatively low flow yet there is a 1/2 mile or longer section of lake that almost never freezes. Most of the open water sections are also near shallow sections. Those don't bother me either.

So, what kind of engineer are you?
    Process Engineer...

I have been skiing and skating frozen lakes and creeks since I was very young.

I also have a boat access only cabin on Shuswap lake...it freezes most years and our cabin is at the edge of the freezing zone....so studying the ice is a pet project of mine.

mtbr member

how dumb I am...

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ I'm in Edmonton, Canada, a couple hours north of Jeffscott, but way south of Alaska.
    Sorry to drag up an old post but this just occurred to me the other day. When Newfangled originally posted this in November I couldn't find Jeffscott on the Google map and assumed it was a small place and not listed for some reason. Only recently made the connection that Jeffscott is a dude and not a place!
    2016 - 3245/3000 commute miles as of 02/11/16

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Process Engineer...

I also have a boat access only cabin on Shuswap lake...it freezes most years and our cabin is at the edge of the freezing zone....so studying the ice is a pet project of mine.
    Electrical / Professional Engineer..

Same here with the skating. I understand 95% but every lake is different. For the 5% I have a rope and these: Amazon.com : Frabill Deluxe Retractable Ice Picks : Fishing Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

Jeffscott isn't a dude...He's a legend.

Bedwards Of The West
    I've been to Jeffscott. Cold and unforgiving place

I kid, I kid.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

I'd rather be on my bike
    As I left work in the car last night, it was snowing. In an hour, we got at least an inch if not more. This morning I left to go deliver and things were not good. MUP was a mess. Partially packed down from pedestrian traffic and then it looks like a 4 wheeler may have gone through. We got about 2.5" of snow or so and it didn't seem like a lot. Back roads were absolute garbage. Mix of half melt and left over snow leaving something resembling mashed potatoes. I was all over the place. Places had started to melt so there was a bit of ice underneath this layer of mashed potatoes. Decided to use the new do all bike with fenders. Wanted to stop at the shop after work and do a bar swap and mid line brake lever removal.

The sun came out, and the roads melted for the most part and almost completely dried up. Temps hit about 30°F so the jacket came off and lighter weight gloves went on. It was pretty nice I have to say. This might be it for us. Friday is forecasted for mid 50's and rain so the snow will all be gone, and then we are to be in the low 40's high 30's for at least the next 10 days. Crossing my fingers!!!
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3984/6000

Moderator Moderator
    I thought another moron barked at me today, but then I saw the plates were HUGPUGS or similar, so I think it actually was dogs. Plenty of ice floes after the killer rain/melt yesterday, Ice Spikers for the win. Some sketchiness but managed fine, wondered if the guy with the guide dog (that works where I park) did as well. Not sure if guide dogs are ice-trained or not.

weirdo
    That`s understandable, SlipSpace. But it`s still funny!

Delightful weather here since the middle of last week looks like it`s about to change. It was windy on my way home this morning (tailwind), picked up a lot more throughout the day. I don`t feel like fighting it, so will probably drive tonight unless it calms down before I leave. What was that word... psye?

EDIT:
    Almost!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    As they say here in Norway; PYSE!

+++
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Sissy? Yeah thanks Ghost....
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Well I didn't get whacked today so that was a good start.

Temps were similar to yesterday where I overdressed so I went for the shorts today. Not sure it was the right choice as the rain made it colder, chilly legs. Feet were warm and dry in my new sealskins though. Rear guard got itself on the skew somehow and kept rubbing the tyre, couldn't get it pushed to a place where it didn't rub. Annoying more than a problem. It can wait till saturday.

mtbr member
    I got a sweet lupine light yesterday, both for night MTB rides and also so I could have a helmet mounted light that I can use to commute on different bikes (my commuter has a handlebar mounted light that stays installed). Got it all set up this morning, then spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how the detachable blinker I got with it works. Of course the sun came up while I did that. Should get to try it tonight though.

The MUP I take for a few miles (crucial miles that allow me to stay off main roads) is finally 90% clear. A couple flooded icy spots I had to walk but not too bad at all. Felt good to ride my singlespeed instead of the heavy bike with rack/fenders/etc... bogging it down.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

CB of the East
    Back to the trails today. They're pretty icy but it's not a bad ice, if you have studs. I still had to slow down in some spots. How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I thought another moron barked at me today, but then I saw the plates were HUGPUGS or similar, so I think it actually was dogs. Plenty of ice floes after the killer rain/melt yesterday, Ice Spikers for the win. Some sketchiness but managed fine, wondered if the guy with the guide dog (that works where I park) did as well. Not sure if guide dogs are ice-trained or not.
    Could have been a Surly fattie fan.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Nice ride this morning.

It's warming up here and the paths are almost clear. Finally able to air up the fat tires to low teens. Felt like I was driving a Porsche compared to the single digit psi's I've been running for a few months.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sold my car last night, I'm all in on the bike now. Going to take a chunk of the money I got and put it towards some bike awesomeness

Today's ride was wonderfully uneventful, just below freezing but dry and only light wind.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Sold my car last night, I'm all in on the bike now. Going to take a chunk of the money I got and put it towards some bike awesomeness

Today's ride was wonderfully uneventful, just below freezing but dry and only light wind.
    Good luck with the no car thing.

My commute was warm and windy. As is becoming the Thursday custom I was in a definite calorie deficit when headed home. It felt cruddy then it felt really good.

Oh yeah.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Warm and windy here too! And another good luck to you formula going without a car I could never do it!

On my way home tonight I learned my MTX fold-out panniers fit a six-pack of beer perfectly per side!

2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    Windy doesn't begin to describe that ride home tonight. 34°F currently, and Friday it is supposed to warm up to 54°F with a lot of wind, like 25-30mph winds. Not sure if I will ride to work or not. Rain is in the forecast as well. Swapped on the NiteRider Lumina 700 that I have. It is alright. I like the Cygolite Metro 400 a bit more to be honest since it has a usable flash mode that I like to use in the well lit areas like around the campus. The NR flashing mode is non usable for me.

mtbr member
    I was a couple of hours late leaving work last night, deadlines and all that. I was feeling really grotty by the time I left, sore eyes and nausea from too long at a screen. Few minutes on the bike and that was all gone. I know this, and you all know this, but cycling is great therapy!

Had a Dominoes Pizza guy coming the other way shout either tights, light or fight....?

mtbr member
    A good commute this AM. Though I do have to say that it is a clear sign of a crap winter when 15F feels cold. Normally around this time of year 15 should feel to be about perfect riding temps. Then again, this time of year I should be riding in feet of snow, not millimeters.

While so many of our tribe are going car free, I bucked the trend and bought a second car for the family just a few weeks ago. I feel so dirty... Good on you formula.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    ...I was feeling really grotty...
    New word for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    A good commute this AM. Though I do have to say that it is a clear sign of a crap winter when 15F feels cold. Normally around this time of year 15 should feel to be about perfect riding temps. Then again, this time of year I should be riding in feet of snow, not millimeters.

While so many of our tribe are going car free, I bucked the trend and bought a second car for the family just a few weeks ago. I feel so dirty... Good on you formula.
    Sure sign of an Alaskan when they are complaining that 15F is too warm. I hear you though. We've got a fraction of the snow we usually get in the other corner of the US. We've maybe got 20" total this year and most of that is long gone.

We have 3 vehicles for 2 people but don't drive them much. The new car just turned 3 and it has 12K miles on it.

Same picture as yesterday with a different subject.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    You still crush me with miles ridden per year, so we can call it a draw.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    You still crush me with miles ridden per year, so we can call it a draw.
    A draw it is...

Though this year I haven't even topped 500 miles yet. I am most definitely slacking.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Warm and windy here too! And another good luck to you formula going without a car I could never do it!

On my way home tonight I learned my MTX fold-out panniers fit a six-pack of beer perfectly per side!

The important things. Does it hold beer? Check.

My commute today was stupid warm. 60's and 70's today. Too warm for right now, really. But I'll take it in stride and wear my shorts and a T-shirt.

I almost hit a cat and an opossum. The cat was just laying in the trail and I had to swerve with about two yards to spare. It just looked at me like "what the heck are you doing?". The opossum was running down the middle of the trail and then ran right in front of me. I had to slam on the brakes and lose all my momentum up a hill. It's a conspiracy.

The other thing about it being warm. I now have people in my way again. I've been riding the trails every night for two months and now I have people nagging about my light and taking up the entire trail with their dogs and unruly children. I like winter and the quiet solitude that comes with it.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Friday we had some unbelievable winds. I didn't work so I didn't ride in them. Today I picked up a 6 hour delivery shift at Jimmy John's since the forecast was supposed to be beautiful. I woke up and it was sunny and 43°F already. Dressed really well for the ride in. Shorts, jersey, light sleeves and a really thin Pearl Izumi windbreaker I picked up on major sale. I knew I would end up in a jersey and shorts so I was good to go. By the time I left at 4:30, it was 52°F and full sun. What a beautiful day. The wind is still there, had some serious gusts that almost took me down a few times. It felt good to not have to wear tights or to snot up every 3 seconds. It felt really good to have the sun out and just not be freezing cold. It felt good to be on the fixed gear on dry roads. It felt good to ride.

mtbr member
    The doctor OK'd me to resume normal activities tomorrow, but it hit 72 here and the wind dropped in the late afternoon. I meant to abide by my Doc today, but a brown bird sang in the apple tree, and all the roads were calling me… (apologies to Sir Elton John paraphrased from I Meant To Do My Work Today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wkaRdQEQ0I).

So I rode. Only 20+ minutes on the 0.95 mile loop in the subdivision. I could have ridden longer but I did not want to push it too hard or too long.

I was wanting to test whether the exercise angina continued that has plagued me since I reported it in July:

http://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/how...-today-569221-
    post10525091.html#post10525091

I was angina-free today. Not conclusive, but strong evidence that I had a low grade appendicitis for some time (can exist for months and years and there are other things that have changed that suggest it was present before but was worse starting last summer).

While I have not ridden for more than 2 months, I was riding higher gears at higher speeds with lower heart rate. A little early to be sure of the gains, but it appears that the appendix was affecting me and lowering my power and fun.

Looks like I am back. A lot of strength to gain back, but this looks very good.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Good news, BrianMc, hope you continue to improve and enjoy!

CB of the East
    Glad to hear it Brian MC! I bet those 20 minutes were wonderful!

mtbr member
    Thumbs up BrianMC!

mtbr member
    Welcome back BrianMc glad you're feeling better!
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    Good news BrianMC. Welcome back!

weirdo
    Apendicitis? Dang, I missed that story. Well, glad you were able to get back on your bike after so long, Brian. Hope you make it to 30 angina-free minutes on the next 72* day
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Process Engineer...

Here's an interesting one. We had a rain and a warm spell. This video wasn't taken near any outlet of the lake. The wind was blowing the water across the lake where it was draining back below the ice. This was shot about 10' off the coast of an island.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-590oXzi1U

Random dogs on lake video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-NWRiJXig0

The temps have dropped back below freezing, the lake has all firmed back up. The trails are a mix of snow, ice & frozen dirt. The commute was Awesome! It would be a great day for an epic spring fatbike ride. Alas.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Looks like I am back. A lot of strength to gain back, but this looks very good.
    Great news!

Bedwards Of The West
    Good stuff BrianMc! That has got to feel good.

I realized during my arrival/change at work today that it was super nice to not have a bunch of soaking wet gear to deal with during that process... it's been a sloppy few weeks here off and on. It's almost becoming normal to deal with the wet stuff. Looking at a clear week with highs around 50 this week! Luxurious. Still in the 20's in the morning, but whatever... Nice to be dry.

mtbr member
    Forgot to bring underwear today. First time that's ever happened, but I've been storing a (clean) emergency pair in my desk in years, for just this occasion.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ 1st time ever? That's impressive. Has happened to me a few times over the years.

mtbr member
    ^ I've forgotten all my clothes once or twice. And possibly socks once before (also have a spare pair of those in the desk). But this is the first time briefly going commando.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Today was pretty awesome. Only had my delivery job today so of course I rode in for that. Been leaving early to head down to the LBS to bs with my buddy before I deliver since they are a block away. He has been so dead in there we just shoot the sh and hang out. He is grateful for the company and I am grateful for the friendship and relationship I have built with him and the shop. Dressed perfectly for it, the sun was out, and it managed to hit 40°F and not too windy. Made some serious tip monies today, the most I have made in a short shift. Picked up tomorrow since they are super short, and gave away my Wednesday shift. See, Wednesday, the snow is coming or is forecasted to. 2-8" is what they are saying and honestly, delivering on my bike voluntarily in that, uhhhhh, no thanks. So I owe a guy at work a sandwich for picking it up for me. Tomorrow is supposed to be a repeat of today for the weather. Cannot complain about that at all.

mtbr member
    Today was pretty crap for the morning ride - Yesterday starting around midnight and all the way through until 8 when I went to bed it was raining. Water + frozen ground = holy shizz! I was tempted to work from home today, but the air temps were high enough that I thought the roads wouldn't be too bad. They weren't. At least I stayed up, though I had to ride like an old man to do so. The bike path to the bus stop though... a mirror. Downhill. Good times.

In town things weren't nearly as bad as there was some snow that fell on top of the rain and froze down nicely. My fear is that the roads will be crazy slick this afternoon with the traffic all day polishing the ice to a nice gloss. Fun times.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well nothing too interesting with Vegas commutes. Low to mid 50s in and mid 70s to low 80s for peddle home. This sums up the last two weeks.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Well nothing too interesting with Vegas commutes. Low to mid 50s in and mid 70s to low 80s for peddle home. This sums up the last two weeks.
    As someone who is sitting here dreading some upcoming snow and colder temps, in the nicest way possible, I hate you right now LOL.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ 1st time ever? That's impressive. Has happened to me a few times over the years.
    +1, Dang, I believe it was just last week I was on commando (commandette?) patrol.

Moderator Moderator
    Good rides today on the MTB/ice spikers...teens F and plenty of iced over puddles! Must admit I daydreamed of putting the BMX cruiser back on the road, though!

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Forgot to bring underwear today.
    Sure, that's what we all tell everyone who asks. We know you didn't really forget.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I forgot em once. Now when I roll my clothes, that is what I start with. Socks are rolled into those, then that into the t-shirt, then that bundle into a scrub top, then that into the pants. If I forget my underwear, that means I forgot all of my clothes.

Looks to be another fairly nice day today. Sun is out and the frost is already melting. Winds are a brutal 1mph currently.

CB of the East
    I bring a weeks worth of clothes in at a time, underwear included.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Good rides today on the MTB/ice spikers...teens F and plenty of iced over puddles! Must admit I daydreamed of putting the BMX cruiser back on the road, though!
    Yes, lots of good solid trails. About to change again tomorrow with rain.

The full moon has been spectacular.
    How was your commute today?-20160222_182825.jpg

mtbr member
    Two spring milestones for me:

1) Don't need the magicshine clone anymore. Hooray. Two-part lights are annoying.

2) Wearing sunglasses again. I wear them religiously all summer but ditch them in the winter because they fog and whatever.

Yesterday on the way home a wad of mud nailed me at high speed right in the eye. Luckily I was close to home, but I basically had to limp the bike home for a few blocks.

I don't know if anyone else has ever gotten dirt wedged in behind their eyeball, but it sucks. I've never thought of my eye as a bearing-seal before, but once dirt get behind where it's supposed to be, it's really hard to get it out again. I was picking and flushing stuff out of there for 15 minutes.

Had to switch contacts this morning, because the one from yesterday was trashed. Moral of the story - wear eye protection.