Page 390 of 593 FirstFirst ... 290 340 380 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 400 440 490 ... LastLast
Results 9,726 to 9,750 of 14812
    Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    This makes 3 flats in 2 weeks. And my order of tubes & a patch kit haven't gotten here yet.
    Repeated flats in the same tire usually means that you are not getting what's causing the flat out of the tire, your rim tape is worn or installed improperly or when you put the tire back on your "doing it wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Also, I would have had to investigate the bike parking situation.
    I had to go to a meeting at a local hotel a couple years ago. I called the hotel and they said they had a room to lock my bike in and when I arrived I should just go to valet parking. It was pretty cool to have my bike valet'ed. Gave the kid a nice tip when he brought it out!

I've been travelling for business, finally back on the bike today. Warm morning at 50 degrees and it's going to be near 80 for the ride home. Life is good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Also, I would have had to investigate the bike parking situation.
    I was in Boston for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and their bikeshare program seemed pretty well stocked around the downtown. I was hoping to try it out, but I waited until my last day and then the weather turned really crappy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Repeated flats in the same tire usually means that you are not getting what's causing the flat out of the tire, your rim tape is worn or installed improperly or when you put the tire back on your "doing it wrong"
    It was front, rear, front again. I didn't feel like finding the hole in the second front tube, but the rear flat had a hole in the side of the tube, so I'm not sure what that's all about. I took the front tire completely off the wheel, checked the whole thing all around for stuff sticking through the tire and debris sitting in the bottom, gave it a vigorous shake, and checked the rim tape. Tire was still holding air 20 minutes ago. We'll see.

BTW I finally got around to giving my chain a good acetone deep-clean followed by a hit of chain-l. All I can say so far is that it seemed fine for the first 10 or so miles, and does indeed smell pretty bad.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Fast 45 min commute today, looks like the muni was out again this late morning scraping Chester Creek trail. Rolled Fat, arrived happy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Back on the bike again today. Good ride in. 10% rain in forecast. So of course it rained on me on my way home. Good ride though. Even without fenders, faired pretty well. Back rack and bag caught all the water and mud (have to ride a dirt section on commute) and front didn't kick up enough water and mud to get anything dirty but my work boots. Even with wind and rain pelting me, excellent ride home. Feeling good is great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good ride home today...skipped the ride in after yesterday's long ride. I grabbed the mountain bike and hit some of the single track at the park across the street from the house, and felt pretty good about it after 2.5 months healing from my separated AC. I will say, that though the bike came out with almost no damage, I didn't notice a ding in the top edge of the front rotor until I hopped on the bike. An ignition file is great for knocking off burrs, btw

Will probably shoot for an actual trail after work next Sunday, there's a great park system (Hartshorne/Huber Woods) not a couple of miles from the shop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    wife's 29erish commuter's kinda fooked. (BB5 road calipers are both seized?!)
    so she's been bimbling on the singlespeed back-up, so mostly I've been on the ss'd casseroll to keep pace.

today I pulled the ute back out, man is it ever a freight train!!
    good sunny day so went and grabbed the kickbike for the sprog and went back to the schoolyard so he could zip around until the sun started dropping.
    awesome day
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    So yeah, last monday I'm caught in a blizzard in a tshirt, and today it's 30C. Crazy.

Stopped and helped two ladies, one of whom had had a low pressure burp/wipeout which had torn about 6" of tire casing away from the bead. She wasn't going to be riding anywhere on it, but I was at least able to get the casing back on and roundish so that the bike could be rolled instead of dragged.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    It was front, rear, front again. I didn't feel like finding the hole in the second front tube, but the rear flat had a hole in the side of the tube, so I'm not sure what that's all about. I took the front tire completely off the wheel, checked the whole thing all around for stuff sticking through the tire and debris sitting in the bottom, gave it a vigorous shake, and checked the rim tape. Tire was still holding air 20 minutes ago. We'll see.
    Pay attention to the orientation of the tube with regards to the tire when you pull it out. Pump the tube up till it gets really big and find the leak. Next using the orientation of tube and tire you know about where to look on the tire for what caused the leak. If the cause it not obvious, look for very small cuts in the tire and squeeze them open or use a small pick (I have a dental tool) to dig around in there looking for a small piece of glass or sharp rock. They can get buried in the tire, are not obvious and will cause flat after flat.

I think you will like the Chain-L once the smell goes away It lasts a long time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Absolutely flew home, more or less without the strong tail wind usually required for such a speed. Got home to find the shoes I ordered had arrived. And wouldn't you know it, they fit perfectly, despite claiming to be at least a size too small. Now I need to figure out pedals. I hadn't ordered any because I honestly didn't expect the shoes to fit (ordered from Zappos, yay free returns). They're road shoes with no cleat recess, but I guess m520s? I do feel like I'm putting on my big boy shoes with Velcro and ratchets instead of laces.

Pay attention to the orientation of the tube with regards to the tire when you pull it out. Pump the tube up till it gets really big and find the leak. Next using the orientation of tube and tire you know about where to look on the tire for what caused the leak. If the cause it not obvious, look for very small cuts in the tire and squeeze them open or use a small pick (I have a dental tool) to dig around in there looking for a small piece of glass or sharp rock. They can get buried in the tire, are not obvious and will cause flat after flat.

I think you will like the Chain-L once the smell goes away It lasts a long time.
    That's a good idea. I'll do that if I get another flat in the front.

weirdo
    Remnants of thunderstorm convinced me to refender my steed after about a month of no fenders. Lots of rumbling and saw flashes of lightning to the east, but didn`t hear the fire planes (their local base is only a mile from my house), so I guess we escaped.
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I have to head somewhere new later this week, so I figured that I would see what google's bike directions recommend. And for no reason that I can figure, almost half of the suggested route is in back alleys.
    I`ve tried the bike option on GM before, just playing around. Around here, it likes to route through miles of sandtraps on unnamed dirt roads. Actual section of a request for route from Winnemucca NV to Reno with "bike" option:
    21. Slight right
    2.5 mi
    22. Turn right
    0.5 mi
    23. Turn left
    16.6 mi
    24. Slight right
    12.1 mi
    25. Slight left
    22.1 mi
    26. Sharp right
    8.2 mi
    27. Turn left
    7.4 mi
    No street view, obviously, and there won`t be any road signs. How the heck is somebody supposed to follow those directions???
    It was pretty cool to have my bike valet'ed. Gave the kid a nice tip when he brought it out!
    If you go back with your Habanero, the valet will probably tip YOU when he brings your bike!
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I forgot how fast a real road bike can be. I averaged 21.2MPH on my commute home on the CR1 compared to 18ish on the cross check and 16ish on anything mountain bike like. But not today. Today I expect to be more in the 6-8MPH range on the ride home because it is FATBIKE Tuesday.How was your commute today?-2013-05-07-07.43.53.jpg
    I arrived at work a little dirtier than I had hoped.

I Ride for Donuts
    Sloppy rain this morning. I spent the ride wondering how the tops of the fenders get so incredibly dirty when it's raining. Must be a dirt road thing? It's bizzare.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I averaged 21.2MPH on my commute home on the CR1 compared to 18ish on the cross check and 16ish on anything mountain bike like. But not today.
    What I wouldn`t give for avgs like that...
    From now on, I`m voting "fat" too!
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    The flatish route helps a lot. I only averaged 18.2 on the same bike on the hilly ride in. You notice I took the fat today because it was runner up with 1 whole vote. Now I'm working on 7 bikes in 7 days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My back is finally starting to get better. I have found some exercises and stretches that have seemed to help. Some of the stuff I was doing before was probably harmful. The weather has been wet here, but I've managed to stay dry on my commutes. I'm still rocking the geared bike. Whenever I'm riding the SS in wind, I always wish I had gears. Now that I've been riding with gears, I sometimes wish for the SS. I guess wind just sucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I forgot how fast a real road bike can be. I averaged 21.2MPH on my commute home on the CR1 compared to 18ish on the cross check and 16ish on anything mountain bike like. But not today. Today I expect to be more in the 6-8MPH range on the ride home because it is FATBIKE Tuesday.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-07 07.43.53.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	796928
    I arrived at work a little dirtier than I had hoped.
    You just described my every commute - fat and a bit slow. However, I love this time of year when the roadies are just coming out of hiding and I am still able to keep up or blow by them after a winter of riding in all kinds of conditions. I always chuckle when I see them dismounting to walk their machines around ice or snow while I just keep peddling away, throwing snow and mud in all directions as I roll.

I ended up throwing my Endo back on the rear last night so I'm rolling with the stock tire setup. It's amazing how much quieter the Endo is on pavement than the Nate. It might roll just a tad faster, but that's not something I worry about too much. Had a rough start this morning, though. Got the bike out and loaded up and as I stared to roll down the driveway realized the rear was at maybe 2PSI. I put in an old, Surly light tube that may just have a slow leak in it. Aired it up and made it to work without incident, but I have a niggling suspicion I'll be swapping tubes before the ride home, or at least spending a half hour airing it back up. Good times.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Starting a week of riding standing up....cause of a sitting issue....

46/11 unless im going up a hill or a overpass....i could make it in 46/11 but the torque feels a little too high for the bike...

Should be a workout for the back and the quads.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    You just described my every commute - fat and a bit slow. However, I love this time of year when the roadies are just coming out of hiding and I am still able to keep up or blow by them after a winter of riding in all kinds of conditions. I always chuckle when I see them dismounting to walk their machines around ice or snow while I just keep peddling away, throwing snow and mud in all directions as I roll.

I ended up throwing my Endo back on the rear last night so I'm rolling with the stock tire setup. It's amazing how much quieter the Endo is on pavement than the Nate. It might roll just a tad faster, but that's not something I worry about too much. Had a rough start this morning, though. Got the bike out and loaded up and as I stared to roll down the driveway realized the rear was at maybe 2PSI. I put in an old, Surly light tube that may just have a slow leak in it. Aired it up and made it to work without incident, but I have a niggling suspicion I'll be swapping tubes before the ride home, or at least spending a half hour airing it back up. Good times.
    Sounds like my commute home last night on Chester, passing lots of folks, getting that look as they have to walk and I just roll on by! ;p

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Bedwards, where did you find moisture and mud? It's dry as a popcorn fart around here.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    We've got so few cyclists around here there is nobody to pass. I was pretty pleased to roll through what would have been sticky mud to 2.1" tire.

How easy do the tires mount on fatbikes? I haven't had to take one off yet. Is it pretty much like a MTB tire or am I in for a struggle?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    It was a really foggy/dewey morning so everything was wet and that dry/dusty stuff on the trail got thrown up and turned to mud on my bike. Some of the normal mud holes still haven't dried out from the spring thaw but most have. We're got rain in the forecast for Thursday.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

If using tubes, you'll be fine. Still soap suds it up to get that bead to seat right, or you'll get a lumpy ride. I put my summer tires on today, but I run tubeless. It took me about 2 hours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good ride. No rain. Just wind. Kind of cool--mid-seventies, I'd guess, on way home. Low fifties for ride in. And the Vegas bipolar Spring weather continues. Next week closing in on triple digits again. Possibly rain tomorrow.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Sloppy rain this morning. I spent the ride wondering how the tops of the fenders get so incredibly dirty when it's raining. Must be a dirt road thing? It's bizzare.
    Haha CB I have noticed the same thing. Shows how much crud is on the road...