Page 388 of 428 FirstFirst ... 288338378384385386387388389390391392398 ... LastLast
Results 19,351 to 19,400 of 21374
    mtbr member
    So we're a bit divided on bar ends then I'll see if I can get a ride on one before I decide anything. Sorry Rodar, I prefer CBs under tape route but then that's where the brakes run anyway on my current ride (i remember buying those levers back in '89 )

Bedwards, water over ice, ON A LAKE!, would scare me wet I reckon, never mind the spray!
    2016 - 3245/3000 commute miles as of 02/11/16

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Kleebs, are you parking in exactly the same spot each day? Maybe you would be better off to be sure and park in a noticeably different position or facing in a different direction every day. Or if you`re pretty sure that it was the people from that far who got antsy and called you in, maybe go up and knock on their door to explain why that suspicious looking car is always out there. As long as they aren`t totally wacko, they would probably get it and stop worrying.
    I suppose I could do that, but the cops are now on the lookout for a black honda element that is parked in "suspicious" places. I changed my route so that now I park at the local community college. I can't imagine anyone A) caring or B) noticing that I park there during the day and GASP do not stay for class . It adds a few miles but not a big deal. Soon enough the weather will be warm enough that I'll be riding all the way from home anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Woof

The commute home across the lake was interesting. There was up to 2" of standing water over the ice with mini whitecaps. I got a really wet butt. On the road today.
    If that were me, I would welcome the water on my butt to help conceal the other liquid soaking through my pants
    Commute miles:
    2016: 1135/3000

mtbr member
    Great cat6 this morning.

Was following a guy through an intersection (he was riding a lovely, orange, debadged, mid-80s ss mtb of some sort) and he said "You might as well go infront of me down this hill, since I'm on a singlespeed." And I said "Meh, I'm on a fixie" but I took the invite anyway.

And then I worked my butt off.

I did manage to put a 1/2 block or so between us by the time I turned off for work. (and I'd had to wait a redlight, and then again at a stopsign which had let him catch up twice, which, y'know, means I totally won).

I never have people behind me, but if I did I'd be in better shape.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Bedwards, water over ice, ON A LAKE!, would scare me wet I reckon, never mind the spray!
    In the dark. This warm weather better stop or I'm not going to be able to trust the ice anymore.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Need GoPro footage of that action. I would be leaning back just waiting for that icy plunge. How thick does the ice need to be for you to enter into a trust relationship?
    My experience is limited but I think I'm wanting at least 3 or 4 inches....I know that's overkill but I don't think I care...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    ^^3-4" is about the min for me. The lake had 3" then it snowed, then rained so it had another 3" of snow ice on top of the black ice. Took forever to freeze even though it was cold. Lately it's been so warm it could be melting from below. I'll try to get out there this weekend and measure it again. Temps are mostly supposed to stay below freezing after today but it's 50 again today...in February.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^3-4" is about the min for me. The lake had 3" then it snowed, then rained so it had another 3" of snow ice on top of the black ice. Took forever to freeze even though it was cold. Lately it's been so warm it could be melting from below. I'll try to get out there this weekend and measure it again. Temps are mostly supposed to stay below freezing after today but it's 50 again today...in February.
    Any discussion of safe ice thickness requires and evaluation of the type of ice....old rotten ice can easily be unsafe at 12 inches thick....

New hard ice without snow in it can easily be safe for a person at 2 inches...

Ice that was safe can easily become unsafe as conditions change.

Ice that is safe can in a matter of a few feet become unsafe.

CB of the East
    All true, hence my lack of trust going forward. It was good and firm yesterday morning so I wasn't worried that it would be unsafe 10 hours later. After 48 hours of above freezing, a little more worried. I mostly want to get out and make sure it's still solid and not rotten. I wouldn't be as trusting on a body of water that I don't know.

Didn't cross it today, won't cross it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Yikes bedwards! Be careful out there!

Just spent the last 8 minutes watching people fall through ice and other stuff
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    So yesterday morning on the way to work about halfway, heard what sounded like a rock being tossed around in a few spokes, I stopped and everything looked ok, but then later down the road back tire was flat. Had a huge screw in it, right through the thickest part of my new tire!
    Changed the tube and went on my way, then this morning went out to get the bike, same tire, flat again!

Turns out that screw went all the way to the rim and put a nice gouge in the metal and lots of burrs were sticking up. So a few minutes of sandpaper and a smidge of duct tape ready to go. We'll see tomorrow morning. The Jeep was happy for a drive today anyways haha.

2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    ^ Ah man, that sucks!! Never had anything go in and damage the rim. It does always amaze me how something that length manages to get more or less square on into the tyre.

My first cycle commute this week today :-) and it felt great to be back on two wheels. Even the usual selection of nobheads couldn't dent my mood this morning.

weirdo
    Bar end shifters ARE divisive. That seems to be their nature

Bedwards, have you actually had a nice crossing yet this year?

Stay away from the keno runners, Eugene- your luck seems to be out at the moment.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    That sucks Eugene. Had a similar issue once with a 2nd flat through the patch of the 1st one - rim tape replaced with ducktape, oh ehhh, I mean ducttape and all good.

mtbr member
    LOL yeah no keno for me for a while! Tire still has air this morning yay, guess I need to pay better attention to the ground in front of me, maybe stay on the concrete a little more where it's easier to see stuff.
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Bedwards, have you actually had a nice crossing yet this year?
    It was actually getting very good before the rain. We're getting snow today so that may set it back some.

I've got the drywall screw through the tire too. It will get your attention.

Snow today so I took the camp roads where I could. I turned onto the dirt one and it was super slow and soft. Then I realized I had picked up a stick from the trail. Once I got that out...It was super slow and soft.

Talentless Hack
    For the second time in 2016, I had an SUV partly blocking the entrance to the bike path with backup lights on and no one in the drivers seat. Location and vehicle completely different from the January incident.

Later on, I had a car passed me close me in the opposite direction with a snarling German Sheppard hanging out the window. Why is this noteworthy, you ask?

BECAUSE I WAS STILL ON THE BIKE PATH.

This path follows a river valley, and there are no roads anywhere near it.

This town is the automotive version of Gotham without Batman.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    So yesterday morning on the way to work about halfway, heard what sounded like a rock being tossed around in a few spokes, I stopped and everything looked ok, but then later down the road back tire was flat. Had a huge screw in it, right through the thickest part of my new tire!

I really hate this kind of stuff. I used to get nails sometimes on my commute to my old job. Not fun, and especially not fun if the tires are new.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Later on, I had a car passed me close me in the opposite direction with a snarling German Sheppard hanging out the window. Why is this noteworthy, you ask?

BECAUSE I WAS STILL ON THE BIKE PATH.
    I've been on the bike path and had people driving a truck behind me. It wasn't a marked construction company truck and there wasn't any construction going on along that stretch of the bike path. I decided that my best bet was to just ride in the middle of the trail at whatever speed I was riding anyway.

My commutes have not been shabby. Commuted to the pub last night after teaching labs and grading. Caught a ride home, though. Thank goodness my buddy had a truck.

responsibility: 1/2 (because I could have been more responsible)
    commuter badassery: -5
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    One of the local guys has a portable pizza oven, so he hauled it on the back of his fatbike to morning coffee. Unfortunately I couldn't hang around this morning, and had to head to work before it was done.

How was your commute today?-caeu0coumaarxao.jpg

And the local fatbike race that's planned for this weekend has been cancelled due to ice. The final race last year was super-icy too, but I think this year is worse, and might be the worst I've ever seen. I haven't even been hitting the trails on the way home, because even with studs it's just stupid.

For me, I think this weekend's just going to be the fixie on the mups. I'm really hoping we get some snow, because otherwise it's going to be a long wait for spring.

CB of the East
    ^^Our trails were getting a little sketchy even with studs but that's over now. We had 1 to 3" forecast. I think we've got 6-8" on the ground. Winter has re-arrived.

mtbr member
    A portable pizza oven? Awesome!
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenethejeep View Post
    a portable pizza oven? Awesome!
    +1 !!

Moderator Moderator
    Friday I drove, but brought with me my Bianchi Veloce road bike that has been sitting unridden for nearly 15 years in my basement. Dropped it off for an overhaul, and when it's done the shop will call the intended recipient and just tell her that "your bike is ready" (I have not mentioned it to her). This should be fun.

She's a really strong rider but had her road bike stolen a few years ago and has not been able to replace it. It has a triple ring, and I know she has been eyeing the insane 6 gap (mountain pass) ride, about 11.7K climbing. Paying it forward, as my cross bike I commute on a lot was gifted to me by my brother-in-law when I asked how much he was selling it for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    A portable pizza oven? Awesome!
    Looking around online, it's apparently this one: Uuni 2 - The portable and affordable wood-fired oven for pizza and beyond

The guy also has a cargo bike, and I think that's his typical plan. But with all the ice he strapped it to the back of his studded pugsley instead.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Friday I drove, but brought with me my Bianchi Veloce road bike that has been sitting unridden for nearly 15 years in my basement. Dropped it off for an overhaul, and when it's done the shop will call the intended recipient and just tell her that "your bike is ready" (I have not mentioned it to her). This should be fun.

She's a really strong rider but had her road bike stolen a few years ago and has not been able to replace it. It has a triple ring, and I know she has been eyeing the insane 6 gap (mountain pass) ride, about 11.7K climbing. Paying it forward, as my cross bike I commute on a lot was gifted to me by my brother-in-law when I asked how much he was selling it for.
    Says I have to spread reputation around before giving you more, so I will just do it here. Very nice of you!
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3984/6000

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Says I have to spread reputation around before giving you more, so I will just do it here. Very nice of you!
    I have the same problem. Doing it here as well. That is just saintly!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Thanks fellow commuters, the shop called a few times today, it is shiny and ready, and they emailed for her to come pick up her bike. This was even better because all I have is her work phone, so more mysterious! I told them to make sure she knows it is no mistake, but do not mention my name, she will have a better bike story that way. I hope I can keep a straight face if she mentions it on Monday.

weirdo
    Very cool, Xplorer. But I`m betting she`ll be able to guess anyway. Unless ALL New Englanders share your penchant for generosity, in which case I`d be tempted to move. Except that I have already seen your winter pics and weather reports

I found out Thursday night that Friday was going to be a plant holiday. The weather report was for chilly though sunny all weekend, woohoo! So yesterday I bundled up my wife and we gave my moto its first workout of the year (all paved ), met up with a crazy lady on her moto for lunch in the next town south, then all rode together for ANOTHER lunch in yet another town. Back to the pedals tomorrow.
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    The plan for Monday is to commute to one job, ride, then ride home and get the car for the second. Snow in the forecast with accumulation for the evening and I just don't feel like riding in it. Luckily I have enough time to do this.

mtbr member
    A two motorist crash ruptured a natural gas pipeline resulting in the closure of my usual commute route. Took the long way. Passed >500 motorist stuck in traffic. Smiled the entire way up the protected-bike-lane-of-broken-glass-and-goat-heads that I usually avoid. Made it to work without a puncture.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    I have the same problem. Doing it here as well. That is just saintly!
    Yep. I guess I don't spread it often )or deep) enough! Nice brother-in-law and nice act of kindness.

mtbr member
    Me too. How much rep do you have to spread before you can give to somebody the 2nd time again??? I mean I am spreading around like mad and dont even get something back so far :-/

Nevertheless thumbs up for mtbxplorer!

mtbr member
    Supposedly 7C outside today but down to about 1C with the windchill. 20mph head/cross wind gusting to about 35mph. Had the works laptop and files to return so along with my weeks kit the panniers were well loaded.

Fitted some ebay special (£15 pair delivered) double pivot brakes at the weekend to replace the 25+ year old Weinmann side pulls. Can't say they stop me massively better but at least the arms don't flex and put the blocks into the tyre now.... Aside from the inconvenience, the potential for scrubbing the side out of a £30 tyre sucks, hence the 'upgrade' ..

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    A two motorist crash ruptured a natural gas pipeline resulting in the closure of my usual commute route. Took the long way. Passed >500 motorist stuck in traffic. Smiled the entire way up the protected-bike-lane-of-broken-glass-and-goat-heads that I usually avoid. Made it to work without a puncture.
    I call that "Trafficsfaction"

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Me too. How much rep do you have to spread before you can give to somebody the 2nd time again??? I mean I am spreading around like mad and dont even get something back so far :-/

Nevertheless thumbs up for mtbxplorer!
    Lots! You can spread some to me. Probably not.

MTXB, I can't wait to hear how that played out. Giving bikes is fun!

My commute was not fun. I thought the trails would be in much better shape than they were. It was like riding through partially set concrete. (I do that all the time so I know). At least the lake was good. Unfortunately we're supposed to get up to 6" of new snow so...

I did get the doggies out on the lake this weekend. The ice had enough grip so they could really get up a head of speed. They just love being able to run 1/2 mile on the open lake.
    How was your commute today?-wes.jpgHow was your commute today?-june.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanx bedwards and NDD!Not much cycling for me lately but I hope to ride on wednesday morning and a short overnight touring trip next weekend.Until then - keep riding!PS I have a new avatar: its my latest birthday cake that my wife made for me early january :P

mtbr member
    The trails are so icy that on my weekend rides I took along shoe-spikes, and between those and the studded tires I had a decent ride. But this whole week will be on the fixie, I think.

And on the weekend was the first Winter Fatbike Chariot race:

Saturday's Festival saw the debut of Winterus Maximus, a sport the creators explain as one where "Roman Gladiator chariots meets chuckwagon racing meets dog sledding."

Winterus Maximus features homemade chariots designed by the competitors, pulled by fat bikes that race around a circular track.

In its first year, the event had six teams competing for a variety of prizes, with first place being a $500 cash prize.

I wasn't there, and they did it an night, so photo/video is pretty scarce. I can't find anything that's embeddable, but there's a short video of the start here: https://twitter.com/opryshko_stefan/...90655542857728

mtbr member
    That's awesome mtbx! I'm sure some good karma will follow you around for a while!

Commute was good today, hungover from super bowl beer! Sweat it out first thing in the morning did the trick lol.
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Good stuff, Newf!!

Love the dog pix,bedwards! My dog + guest went down to reservoir by backyard trails, but I hesitated to go on the ice, as did the dogs. Did see some coyote tracks across it though ( and neighbor saw one today at noon).

Rogbie, that is an insane amount of car passes, high fiive!

I learned today that the intended bike recipient was in Boston this weekend, so I am sure it is still at the shop. I will check in with them on status later in the week, in case she has not seen the email. Probably means I have time to bring them the road shoes, in case they fit.

Good rides today on the cross bike, snowing on the way home, Winter Contis held their own.

NDD
    Baby boy
    It was dang windy. We got a very light dusting of snow all day, but I'm pretty sure most of it was old stuff blowing around. Good thing I had my balaclava. Accidentally left without putting on my neoprene shoe covers. I noticed it about halfway home when my feet were feeling very cold.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Really good today. Ended up delivering in a jersey and sleeves. Love doing that because I hate wearing a jacket to ride. Windy but nothing too bad. It isn't the ice, the snow, the cold temps, the grey skies or the slush that annoys me about winter riding. It is the snot. I think I have it worse than others. I am constantly sniffling and doing all kinds of expelling of, well you know what of. I hate that!!!!

Rode home after and got the car. I would have been alright as it was only starting to snow as I left the hospital. Roads were just wet and it was in the mid 30's.

mtbr member
    Wind had increased even more for the ride home and I had the addition of the works laptop (a big old Dell unit) in my pannier. What would have been light rain was really driven by the wind. Had to adjust my usual stance while stopped at some lights as the cross wind was threatening to blow me over.

This morning it's all calm again, still feels colder than the actual temp of 3C/37F.

CB of the East
    ...It is the snot. I think I have it worse than others. I am constantly sniffling and doing all kinds of expelling of, well you know what of. I hate that!!!!
    Oh, don't you go thinking you are all kinds of special with your snot producing qualities. Sometimes I have enough snot rockets that I don't even have to peddle.

Snowy ride home last night. Roads, trails & lake were all unknowns this morning so I plowed the driveway and drove in.

guy
    Haha I had the same issue. That is a gift that means more than just a bike. You are giving freedom.
    Commute miles:
    2016: 1135/3000

Talentless Hack
    Just enough snow to cover the ground, and at the halfway point I got on salty enough roads that I lost the frozen white part at the edge of the road and had to ride in some nasty brown slush.

Supposed to be some actual winter weather this week, for the first time in.. like a year.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Bedwards Of The West
    Long weekend for me... lots of catching up on here... MTBX, rep given... that's just awesome.

Found out I'm a finalist in a photo contest and I might win a killer winter wardrobe... see my other thread...trying not to get excited because it's only Tuesday, but I'm winning at the moment. Ends Friday.

Ride today was nice... actually stopped to take off the 'clava, which I never do. Started out at about 25 degrees, and was probably mid 30's by the time I got to work. Just lovely.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    71F on the way home today! Need to bring an extra bungee cord for the shedded clothing.
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Long weekend for me... lots of catching up on here... MTBX, rep given... that's just awesome.
    Thanks, CB, I overheard at closing time that said pedaler was headed to the shop before closing for a bike someone dropped off for her there. Others, unware, were like, wait, someone left a bike for you there??? Heehee. I buried myself in my open office and deadlines, and just said goodnight as said rider left. Hopefully she went home with it and is none the wiser.

Moderator Moderator
    Rough travels this a.m. Only an inch or 2 of snow, 13F, but the plows glazed and caked it, making only the travel lane safe. Much honking, arm waving and swearing. It only takes a few to ruin the party, I was passed too close while trying to cross slushy diagonal RR tracks, and passed by 53' tractor trailer with the rear end inching ever closer - end result I hog the lane more than necessary for the rest of the ride than if all were respectful. Also tailed by a big wing plow and unsafe to escape right... maneuvered left to center/suicide lane until plow passed...of course it pulled off the rod some 200 yards after I merged right again. Arrived alive and the lone bikecommuter, the ride home was better, a relief after a tough workaday!

NDD
    Baby boy
    Colder today, but not as windy on the return. I realized while riding home that I totally forgot to go to my office hours for my lab students today, because I was working on thesis material and preliminary results for a conference I hope to attend. I'm hoping that the lack of emails is from the fact that nobody tried to go.

So I guess it wasn't a very good ride, because I felt stupid the whole time.

weirdo
    Sucky, Xplorer! It was butt-puckering enough with the trailer passing at a diagonal track crossing, but the plow thing sounds like above and beyond gnarly. Not sure I understood, but you mean the plow was on your butt until you moved out into the suicide lane so it could pass you on the right? Big cheers to you for "hogging" as much of the road as you felt you needed to keep the boneheads honest, but if I understood correctly about the plow, why didn`t you let the b*stid wait it out behind you? Any rate... SHEESH! It sounds like a commute from hell for you today. Very glad you arrived in one three-dimensional piece!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Also tailed by a big wing plow and unsafe to escape right... maneuvered left to center/suicide lane until plow passed...of course it pulled off the rod some 200 yards after I merged right again.
    My commute last night and this morning were nothing to write home about ("home" being How Was Your Commute Today ). Re-ditched the extra clothing I started wearing again last week, and will probably loose another half step worth of cold weather stuff within the next week or so. Going by whatever used to be normal weather trends, we should be smack in the middle of snow season right now, but well past the lowest temps and on the way back up.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Left work on time yesterday (at 5) and it wasn't dark. The nights are really pulling out now, Yay!

This morning was bright and clear, bit chilly but really enjoyable. I even stopped to take a pic from the mup.

How was your commute today?-dsc_0112.jpg

Was raining by the time I reached the office...