Page 388 of 593 FirstFirst ... 288 338 378 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 398 438 488 ... LastLast
Results 9,676 to 9,700 of 14802
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for well wishes. Home sick today. Fever is coming and going, but I suspect in a day or two I'll be good to go. 30 mile sustained winds today with 40 mile gusts. A pretty good day not to commute actually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Overslept :/ still on vacation timing. Mulligan dammit!
    Understandable. Call it another day of vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Thanks for well wishes. Home sick today. Fever is coming and going, but I suspect in a day or two I'll be good to go. 30 mile sustained winds today with 40 mile gusts. A pretty good day not to commute actually.
    I hate those winds and I don't have 90-100 F right now. Sounds like you could use the sick day.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I like that western route better than the east one, CB. Not that there`s really anything wrong with the other side (or even with riding 395 for that matter), it just seems kind of boring to me. The foothills look very tasty.
    Yep. I do the 'prison loop' fairly regularly, and it sure is desolate out on that side of the valley. This puts you right up in the trees hugging the bottom of the foothills, and the traffic is lighter. And yes, the highway has super-wide shoulders, but it's just not as pleasant.

Quick version of Peter Lassen's grave... Peter Lassen's Grave (No. 565 California Historical Landmark) - Sierra Nevada Geotourism MapGuide

That site is wrong on a couple of points... the original marker is still there, it's just got a roof built over it to protect it from the elements. The massive Ponderosa Pine tree mentioned died of disease and was cut down, but the stump is there, AND everything I've ever heard says that Lassen's body was retrieved in 1992 also, not just his partner's. It was huge local news when the remains were discovered.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Bicycle Radical
    My commute last night was tough. I got some proper hardman training on the ride home from dealing with rain and headwinds. It helped me to deal with some stress which was a relief however it was a challenge and I had to HTFU.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Finally got my short liners from Price Point. I figured for $11.98 wouldn't be much of a gamble. Haven't ridden them yet, but just on visual inspection I'm not impressed. Unless they feel a lot better than they look, I won't be buying any more. I don't believe that price = quality, but the Nashbar short liners I bought for $17.98 strike me as much better.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    A bit chillier this AM. 25F at the house. Trails were snotty slick in places. I'm really starting to look forward to some real warm temps some time soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's been warm here. Cyclists are coming out of the woodwork. Many of them are out in jackets and other miscellaneous cold weather gear. I don't get it. I've been rocking shorts for a few weeks now (every once in a while I have to wear arm warmers and maybe knee warmers). Temps have reached the 80s a couple afternoons. I'd be boiling if I wore what some of these people are wearing.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ I saw a lady like that when I was driving this weekend. Full 'clava and long sleeves/pants in the 60's. Can you imagine?

Bicycle Radical
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ I saw a lady like that when I was driving this weekend. Full 'clava and long sleeves/pants in the 60's. Can you imagine?
    I've seen all kinds of people dressed for winter weather while riding these past few warm weekends. I sweat so much that I'd die wearing multiple layers in such conditions.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    A lot of people aren't comfortable with the notion of starting cold so you're an appropriate temperature once you warm up during the activity. If you're not a bit chilly when you start, you're going to sweat a lot.

Moderator Moderator
    From last night, a couple miles to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1010513.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Ninja on her morning commute? S.W.A.T. team member who missed the van? Eco-minded bank robber? Yeah, yeah an eco-minded bank robber, that's the ticket!

*apologies to John Lovitz*
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    It's been warm here. Cyclists are coming out of the woodwork. Many of them are out in jackets and other miscellaneous cold weather gear. I don't get it. I've been rocking shorts for a few weeks now (every once in a while I have to wear arm warmers and maybe knee warmers). Temps have reached the 80s a couple afternoons. I'd be boiling if I wore what some of these people are wearing.
    There is a blood flow restriction that is worse in sedentary that regular cycling people that will make them feel cooler until their fitness improves (this is in addition to lower energy output because they are unfit):

Acute sympathetic vasoconstriction at rest and during dynamic exercise in cyclists and sedentary humans

So it is another marker for fair season cyclists starting out.

Older cyclists likely have a larger restriction in leg blood flow with cold arms, especially if not fit:

Augmented leg vasoconstriction in dynamically exercising older men during acute sympathetic stimulation

I am finding I can't ride as lightly clothed as in years past. However at 60 F bare legs are fine, but I need a light long sleeved wind breaker for the core (and arms?) with the tape off the helmet. My feet are warm, head, and hands warm, and only a lightly sweaty torso after 30 miles. My power output and heat generation and speed are all a bit off yet. Still, averaging 15 mph is more heat generated than the speed the one well covered rider I saw was making. He is another graybeard. The fires don't go out but they may be banked a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    From last night, a couple miles to go.
    Love the pic Frame-able? Maybe not when windows look out on such as that. Someone's state has to be agricultural and flatter, I guess or we'd starve. Thanks for feeding my eyes.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Anything over 40 and I'm in shorts and a long-sleeved t-shirt. I sweat like a dog though, even when barely clothed. Too many fat reserves, still, I think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice ride this morning. A southy is still blowing through so 12-15kt headwind all the way in. Passed a guy riding his MTB with skinny tires while climbing a little bridge near the beginning of my route. He passed me back up on the flat which gave me motivation to keep on his wheel. Not sure if he was trying to drop me. Glad he was there to block the wind a little and keep my cadence up. He pulled off after about 2 miles so I went back to my usual lumbering pace.

I discovered yesterday that the local trasportation department has a website where you can track your commutes. They even have monthly give aways! Some of the stuff is pretty good. $50-100 gift cards to grocery stores, local day spas and such. Also a $50 gas card, which I thought was sort of odd for a site that is supposed to be encouraging you to drive less and ride more. :/

All you have to do is commute 8 times a month and you are automatically entered into the drawing. They count each way as a commute! I meet their threshold every four days! LOL

If you're in San Diego, check out iCommute

mtbr member
    Nice ride on the lightened (but partly sans lights) Duchess.

Does this make me look flat?

Trees leafing out at home (no lego bricks, just white ones, Rodar).

It was 83 feeling like 82. I was warm with the Hi-Vis vest over short sleeved jersey when I stopped. Did not feel too warm riding though.

They lied about the wind direction (90 degrees and more), and speed. Again. Still gained about 1 mph with the wind shifting into more of a headwind homebound.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Cat 6 race with a purdy blonde in flip flops hauling ass on a C'dale CAAD something (105 crank and RD) and lost by one wheel radius. I think I did pretty well for a hybrid Marin Point Reyes 29er.

Still lost to a girl though

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Sounds like you were distracted. And she wasn't.

Three minutes before quitting time I got a call i had to go out on.
    I was disgusted at first as it was 75F or so and beautiful today, so I really didn't want to lose time out of my evening...
    but in the end the ride home as dark enveloped me was lovely, funny warm/cool air currents, little traffic, a good bar and taillight.

The first pic was not on purpose but I liked it, I was just trying to clear out a message on the screen. You can see I threw on the clipless pedals this a.m. No faster either down or uphill, though.
    The 2nd one is from about the same place as the mountains posted earlier from last night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1010517-640x480-2-.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1010522-800x450-.jpg  

Laramie, Wyoming
    Well, my commute this morning? Let's see. May 1st, ice and snow, 20 degrees, wind over 30 mph, and I didn't have the right clothing on. It was ugly. I tried to take a picture of the wind blowing the snow across the road in front of me and I was too cold to realize I hadn't gotten a picture. Another few miles and I would have been in a bad way.

Moderator Moderator
    Yikes Alphazz! Glad you made it home OK. Your "winter" is getting ridiculous!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Got the clothes totally wrong this morning. Wore 2 tech layers on top and shorts on the bottom, weather report said 52 degrees and calm. Got outside, was freezing, turned around and got a vest. Within 2 miles I was sweaty on top with the vest fully unzipped, though I had socks on my hands and my legs were quite cold. It'd be interesting to have a quick-updating digital thermometer onboard.

weirdo
    Thanks for the Lassen link, CB. I don`t know where I read that about him being burried near Stevens Camp, but if it`s true, nobody bothered to tell Google- I checked and couldn`t find anything like that.
    So, does Susanville have any 24 hr services?
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    I figured for $11.98 wouldn't be much of a gamble.
    It wasn`t- you`re only out $12

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ...but in the end the ride home as dark enveloped me was lovely, funny warm/cool air currents, little traffic, a good bar and taillight.
    ???
    The bars are better at 75F?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's interesting how everyone reacts to temps differently. I've been getting pelted with little insects lately. Yesterday was really bad on the MUP near the creek. I was rolling down the trail swatting in front of my face to avoid getting them in my nose and mouth and who knows where else.

I Ride for Donuts
    Brian, I hope you have a riding mower.

I feel bad chiming in about the weather, because it's been in a pattern of awesome with a chance of perfect around here. Chilly enough for long stuff in the morning, maxing out at the mid 70's. Green everywhere....snow on the mountains...you get the idea. Bit of a headwind yesterday if that makes you feel any better

Rodar, Safeway is open 24/7, and at least one of the gas stations on main st.

mtbr member
    36F and rainy this AM. Not the best way to start the day, but the Muni's been working on the trails overnight in conjunction with the warmer temps so I have bare pavement for a big portion of my ride now. Of course, bare pavement, melting snow, and frozen ground underneath all make for a nice glazing of ice along the route. Had a few hairy moments when I could feel the back end start to slip out on me, but no crashes.

On another note, my rear der cable is fubar - broke the cable housing and the little plastic thing that keeps it running into the shifter straight. Argh...shotty shifting suxor! Best get that fixed this weekend. Good times.