Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How was your commute today?

3M views 28K replies 753 participants last post by  cyclingdutchman 
#1 ·
Well how was it?

Mine was good... hadn't been able to ride at all for the 10 days leading up to today, so it was a bit harder to get into the groove.

Forgot my battery pack for my big light, so I had to ride the last 5 miles on pothole ridden bikelanes with a little flasher.

Got honked at when I was as far right as I could be without getting doored.

All in all, it was a good commute... I ride alongside two different freeways (on a bike path) and get to see the traffic backed up for miles... People feverishly trying to type out their morning emails on their blackberry or looking ragged from sitting in traffic. Then I break away from the bike path and the traffic, and it all looks like a rat race in my rearview mirror.

#7,722 ·
I note actual temp and winds, and make plans based on those variables, but agreed with jeff, a wind chill temp is different than an actual air temp of the same value, without wind.

it was another 35F morning, but I put off my morning commute until it was in the 50's. not so much intentionally, but it worked out well. I wore shorts and a wicking shirt and then added arm warmers. I started out cold, but was comfortable by the time I made it to the office. I put the buff and the knee warmers in my pack for the ride home. it was a sunny 50's on my way in, but it will be dark when I go home. that adds another variable to the temp equation. sunny 55F is different than dark 55F.

#7,724 ·
It was 37 this morning, but with windchill, I'm sure it was down around death.
I'm just going by what was shown by my trucks temp gauge and nothing else. Who knows, maybe it's wrong, maybe it's right but one things for sure, I could careless what you think. I'm not here to prove anything to anyone but my self.

#7,726 ·
I'm just going by what was shown by my trucks temp gauge and nothing else. Who knows, maybe it's wrong, maybe it's right but one things for sure, I could careless what you think. I'm not here to prove anything to anyone but my self.
Yeah my engine gauge runs 2 or 3 C higher than the outside temp....the colder it gets the bigger the difference.

Close enough

#7,727 ·
relax there, man.

one thing to note is that usually, the coldest temp of the day occurs after sunrise. it takes time for the sun's energy to start warming things up. if you're up before the sun is up, realize it will probably get colder before it warms up.

#7,728 · (Edited)
Easy tiger. Sometimes I read something that reminds me of something so I say something close to something that I think is funny. The only person I ever blatantly make fun of is myself. ...and Jeffscott occasionally, but only when he deserves it...and I'm working on refraining from that :lol:

#7,729 ·
Yeah, a bike is a hell of a lot easier than a car or truck to carry over/around obstacles in the road. Please don`t anybdoy get squashed by falling trees, though.

I wish I had a better way to check temps. The official readings from the airport are usually much melower than what I get here, the thermometer on my bike computer is smoking crack, and I don`t believe either of the two cheapos that I`ve bought for home- they don`t even agree with each other and can`t even decide which of the two is going to read hot for the day, which is going to read cold.

So, no temp report, but it was a beautiful weekend here! I slept through the sunny parts and worked through the dark parts :(. Same as last weekend. This comming one, I`ll be off!

I always comment on the actual temperature.
Dude! You`re in Calgary. When you want to convey the idea of "colder than F*k", you don`t NEED to add in windchill!

The only person I ever blatantly make fun of is myself. ...and Jeffscott occasionally, but only when he deserves it...and I'm working on refraining from that
Whoa, for half a second I didn`t think you were going to add JS to that statement. We all know that slinging crap his way is one of your favorite hobbies :lol:

#7,731 ·
I am a long ways away from Sandy, but I still had a major tailwind for most of the way home. Winds were in the neighborhood of 35mph. I was spinning out going uphill in one section whee I usually have to pedal. I'm glad it worked out because it was a struggle pedaling the SS in a few sections where I had to ride into the wind.

#7,732 ·
I wish I had a better way to check temps. The official readings from the airport are usually much melower than what I get here, the thermometer on my bike computer is smoking crack, and I don`t believe either of the two cheapos that I`ve bought for home- they don`t even agree with each other and can`t even decide which of the two is going to read hot for the day, which is going to read cold.
I bought a consumer grade weather station (it does everything) about a year and a half ago and I absolutely love the thing. cold temps tend to be pretty spot on, but it gets a little aggressive when it's hot, usually tacking on 5deg F to the actual temps when it's over 100F. I get wind speed/direction, rainfall, barometer, temp.

#7,733 ·
rain stinging my face, cutting through my warmth.
wind blowing me into the adjoining lane.
pop the rear into a drift around corners.
goretex gloves covering chilled to the bone talons, clasped tightly around my brake levers.
"maybe you should leave the bike at home dude"
I made it to work on time, did you?! no? then bite me, fanboy!

oh, i finished my "winter ss" bike! 853 reynodls norco rampage, rigid fork, disc up front, turbine cranks, eno ss rear, 1.5" conti mud tires.

#7,734 ·
The wind and rain were picking up on my drive home, but only smaller branches down. Glad you made it home on 2 wheels Bedwards! So far I'm still sitting in the lap of luxury with power, water, etc. VT interstate and parallel secondary road closed for now in Waterbury due to power lines down. Hoping for a day off tomorrow to do some bike maintenance, but so far only a 2 hour delay.

#7,735 ·
rain stinging my face, cutting through my warmth.
wind blowing me into the adjoining lane.
pop the rear into a drift around corners.
goretex gloves covering chilled to the bone talons, clasped tightly around my brake levers.

oh, i finished my "winter ss" bike! 853 reynodls norco rampage, rigid fork, disc up front, turbine cranks, eno ss rear, 1.5" conti mud tires.
Sounds like a great ride.

My commute this morning in Raleigh, NC was actually fairly nice.

I had a cold rain for the ride back home but thankfully I packed my goretex jacket, gloves, and neoprene socks. My route is 12 miles with a nice mix of road, trail, and greenway so it works well for my single speed. I like riding my single speed because it handles bad weather fairly well.

For me most of being happy in bad weather is having warm feet, hands, and ears. It also helps if your bike runs durable components that you don't need to worry about in bad weather.

#7,736 ·
I bought a consumer grade weather station (it does everything) about a year and a half ago and I absolutely love the thing. cold temps tend to be pretty spot on, but it gets a little aggressive when it's hot, usually tacking on 5deg F to the actual temps when it's over 100F. I get wind speed/direction, rainfall, barometer, temp.
Hey Rodar, go to the Mesowest website:

MesoWest Data

click on your state and then on the left side of the page, click the "Network" drop down, select "All Networks" and click "Map It". Now you'll see not only the official NWS sites, but also all the home weather stations that upload their data to the "Citizens Weather Observation Program" (CWOP). There may be a weather station or two closer to where you live, and the uploaded data is consistency checked before it's displayed on the map so it should be close.

I've also got a home weather station, and I upload my weather to the CWOP. You can see the direct webpage for my weather station here:

Davis | WeatherLink - My Weather Page

One of the first things I do in the morning is hit the above webpage to decide what I am going to wear on the morning commute. I also check it just before I leave the office so I know what the weather will be like when I get closer to home (it can be sunny at the office and pouring at home).

#7,737 ·
At one point I was going down a straight flat section of road at 29mph with a tailwind and for no apparent reason the wind switched 180 degrees and I slowed from 29 to 10mph in about 10 seconds.
Wild!
"Not squashed" is always good, too :)

Yeah! You tell `em, Byknuts :lol: I bet that made the terrible conditions worth putting up with!

Way cool, Woodway- thanks. Along with one of those "home" stations in my microclimate valley, there`s also an official reading from a semi-retired miniature airbase that I ride straight past once per commute. I always figured somebody must be recording conditions there, but didn`t think to check the internet for that info. And Nate, until I read Bedwards` post, you had me thinking about oneof those mini weather stations too. I have to admit I`ve had twinges of temptation from time to time, and it would be a good petition from Mrs Clause. I still might request one.

Just got back from the supermarket (driving) and it`s really nice out tonight. With shorts and no jacket, I felt a tiny bit chilled between car and door, door and car, but not enough that I wanted to run for it. It`s gonna be a pleasant commute tonight, with a big moon to light up the swamp. Hope I get a coyote serenade.

#7,739 ·
Hey Rodar, go to the Mesowest website:

MesoWest Data

click on your state and then on the left side of the page, click the "Network" drop down, select "All Networks" and click "Map It". Now you'll see not only the official NWS sites, but also all the home weather stations that upload their data to the "Citizens Weather Observation Program" (CWOP). There may be a weather station or two closer to where you live, and the uploaded data is consistency checked before it's displayed on the map so it should be close.

I've also got a home weather station, and I upload my weather to the CWOP. You can see the direct webpage for my weather station here:

Davis | WeatherLink - My Weather Page

One of the first things I do in the morning is hit the above webpage to decide what I am going to wear on the morning commute. I also check it just before I leave the office so I know what the weather will be like when I get closer to home (it can be sunny at the office and pouring at home).
Thanks for the link. What do you have for a weather station. I'm waiting for one that connects to your local wi-fi network. Technology is just getting to a point where a wi-fi weather station could run for years off a single battery. Setup would be so simple.

#7,740 ·
Another Commuter this morning!! I spotted a (very weak) blinky taillight on solid mode up ahead, and realized as I caught up that it was not going to be a problem to catch this one :lol:

It was a lady... props to her for being out there in the dark and cold... I said "sneaking up on ya!" fairly loud from fairly far back, and she almost crashed (would have felt bad about that!) I didn't stick around long, because I average over 5mph... but it was clear she was out there on purpose (not on a walmart bike, wearing a helmet, had a taillight, etc...) Very cool.

Also, CRAZY bright moon this morning. Headlight barely necessary.