Page 384 of 622 FirstFirst ... 284 334 374 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 394 434 484 ... LastLast
Results 9,576 to 9,600 of 15540
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Legs are a little sore, but spring is in the air and coffee tastes good again. So nice.
    Blasphemy!!!!!! Coffee is the nectar of the Gods and always tastes good.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

I Ride for Donuts
    I totally agree, but last week my stomach did not.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Good commute today. 25F when I left the house. The trails were fairly well packed in most places, though the afternoon temps in the upper 40s and low 50s have started to cut way down on the snow pack. Legs were a bit sore after heading up to Hatcher's Pass for some pseudo-backcountry snowboarding yesterday, but totally worth it! Nothing better than hitting the hills in 50 degree temps in a tee-shirt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ride was nice. I was expecting pain and suffering after the few spills I took on Saturday. The bruise on my thigh is turning out to be just as epic as I thought it would! It hurts, but not while riding...

mtbr member
    Increased averages speed another 0.5 mph with more clothes on. Was in top gear a lot outbound with the wind, and averaged close to 13 coming back into it. Hit 31 in a 30 zone long enough to register on the log. Getting there...

Sorry for that leg, Smudge. I did a number on my right arm three weeks ago that looked similar. I guess it made me stronger.

BrianMc

weirdo
    The brevet season isn`t over yet, but mine is done for this year. I completed my event Sat/Sun within the allowed time limit, but it dang near killed me- I`ve reached my limit until I get a handle on that tricky nutrition/hydration situation. FWIW, cold did not factor in this time, but temps well into the 80s sure sucked the life out of me for a few hours.

I totally agree, but last week my stomach did not.
    Ah, thanks for clarifying that. You had me wondering too! And glad you`re feeling "over the weather" again.

Yowza, Brian- that`s about as close a close call as possible without a wake involved.
    Recalculating....

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Good commute today. 25F when I left the house. The trails were fairly well packed in most places, though the afternoon temps in the upper 40s and low 50s have started to cut way down on the snow pack. Legs were a bit sore after heading up to Hatcher's Pass for some pseudo-backcountry snowboarding yesterday, but totally worth it! Nothing better than hitting the hills in 50 degree temps in a tee-shirt.
    You off the fatbike yet? When will you make the switch to a summer commute bike?

mtbr member
    Full summer kit, second time. 70 F! Forecast was for winds of 6 mph. They lie! Based on one county to the west, they always seem 5-10 mph low. Maybe so with all the flat land to the west. The wind was at a weird angle where with woods, hills, and homesteads, it could be a headwind, crosswind, or tailwind both ways. I was in top gear over 20 mph for sections both out and back and down to 10 climbing into the wind both out and back. Averaged 15.5 again.

Rodar: Chewed a hole through the Christmas replacement for the traffic yellow windbreaker. (Gee, I got all of what? four months out of it?) Came a bit too close to breaking my arm. Lucky I did not as the Boss was away all that week. Tried to turn the errand bike faster than the hard Michelin City 38 mm tires wanted to do on seal coated pavement with a little drizzle and flakes soaking it. More of a Driver's Ed skid pad, than a good spot to video it's reflectors. I never pushed its handling and did not realize what a tank it is compared to The Duchess. Like the difference between a heavily loaded Ford F150 and a Porsche Boxster.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Low 90s for the commute home and almost 70 for the commute to work. Hard to believe it was 46 degrees last week on several morning commutes. Back in the mid-70s tomorrow. Vegas has severe mood swings in the Spring to be sure. Beside being hot and dreading fast approaching 115 degree rides home, an uneventful commute today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    On vacation this week... no commute! Nevertheless I was doing errands by bike. Two trips today:
    - D i c k ' s sporting goods to fill up the paintball CO2 cylinders I use for portable beer dispensing
    - REI to do some misc bike shopping: brake pads (didn't have them; boo), GP-1 grips for my Big Dummy, extra water bottle, large metric ball-end allen key set.

I'm hoping to stay out of the car all week... until Friday when we drive 250 miles to visit grandma with the girls.

PS: Did you know that the forum edits out the name of that sporting goods store if it has no spaces?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    PS: Did you know that the forum edits out the name of that sporting goods store if it has no spaces?
    Weird, especially since Dick is a name: "Dick was a major dick in line at Dick's."

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Weird, especially since Dick is a name: "Dick was a major dick in line at Dick's."
    Interesting. When I tried to post that, I got ****** instsead of Dick's.

Ridin' Furry
    Gonna vent a lil bit here....

Had some person chuck a apple at me from a 60+ mph speeding car in a 25 mph speed zone. Did not realize what was goin on til i saw the speeding car and a apple "rocket" past me, they missed. Couldn't get a good description or catch license plate.

Other then that work was grrrrreat. :3

I Ride for Donuts
    Rodar, did I miss details on your last adventure? Did you seriously ride 6000 miles in 24 hours or whatever?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    You off the fatbike yet? When will you make the switch to a summer commute bike?
    No switch over for me. I'm a one bike kinda guy. Rode it all last summer for my commute and trail riding. I will either switch back to the Larry/Endo combo or will throw on some ~2.5 rubber on the LM rims as I did for part of last summer. Ideally I'll build up a set of Rabbit Holes over the summer for summer riding, but that's down the road... maybe. Besides, there's something oddly wonderful about blowing past guys with skinny rubber when rolling so phat...

36F at my house this morning. Nice mix of snow, freezing rain, and rain on the way in. The trails were fairly soft and slow with some nice mix of packed fast rolling snow. I have switched back to clipless, so I'm sure we'll end up with a nice amount of fresh snow today...

mtbr member
    Another boring (read as safe, no drama, no close calls, nothing thrown at me, nothing shouted at me) ride in and back. The guy with the old Schwinn again locked his bike in such a poor way I was temped (but didn't) to leave a note.

After doing a good bit of searching and browsing online the last week, I believe the next bike will be equipped with a Microshift group (perhaps the Nashbar exclusive). Since they seem compatible with Shimano parts, it looks like that might be a good compromise of cost and performance.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I had fun yesterday on the Singlespeed enjoying Earth Day! First time on a skinny bike in over 6 months, rolls so much faster than 8 psi fat tires, LOL. I did get my first flat in 6 months too, entering my drive...WTFOVER! That's what I get for not riding my fatbike I guess.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    No switch over for me. I'm a one bike kinda guy. Rode it all last summer for my commute and trail riding. I will either switch back to the Larry/Endo combo or will throw on some ~2.5 rubber on the LM rims as I did for part of last summer. Ideally I'll build up a set of Rabbit Holes over the summer for summer riding, but that's down the road... maybe. Besides, there's something oddly wonderful about blowing past guys with skinny rubber when rolling so phat...

36F at my house this morning. Nice mix of snow, freezing rain, and rain on the way in. The trails were fairly soft and slow with some nice mix of packed fast rolling snow. I have switched back to clipless, so I'm sure we'll end up with a nice amount of fresh snow today...
    Nice, I ride fat a few days a week in the summer commuting, mostly Fat Fridays. I really need to get my full fenders complete so its not so bad on those crappy wet days. The 5 miles of road is killing my drivetrain right now...I ride the fatbike all summer long on dirt, pretty much converted to fat mounting biking and gravel grinding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    15-25 mph sustained headwinds with 35 mph gusts for four of the seven miles into work this morning. Winds on the way home as well, but not nearly as bad. A mundane, hohum, commute today. The best kind.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    That`s funny- maybe the censors didn`t like it in combination with the gas cylinders- who knows what evil lurks in a mind like that...

Related: on the BFnet frame builders subforum, one guy had a devil of a time trying to suggest a half round bastard file (let`s see if it flies here), and I got bleeped for Kona Honky Tonk on the touring section there!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    They lie!

Came a bit too close to breaking my arm. Lucky I did not as the Boss was away all that week.
    Forecasters should run for the senate.
    So, The Boss didn`t know that you trashed your new jacket? Next week she comes home and breaks your arm. Another way to injure yourself via cycling
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    I did get my first flat in 6 months too, entering my drive...WTFOVER! That's what I get for not riding my fatbike I guess.
    Fat to flat = not good. Does Anchorage ever actually get hot? You guys ever see like 90F?

Rodar, did I miss details on your last adventure? Did you seriously ride 6000 miles in 24 hours or whatever?
    I rode, but you didn`t miss any details- I posted them on a more related site along with my plea for nutrition and hydration suggestions. It was 400 KM, which only felt like 6000 miles- pretty sure it works out to 5000 and change. What planet do the guys who do those distances (and more) on dirt come from? This year`s last regular ride is Davis-Antelope Lake- Davis in 40 hours, and I`ll be working that one instead of pedalling. My claim to shame for Saturday was not quite being able to stop before puking Martinelli`s Sparkling Cider on my shoulder. Hoping to change that to a claim to fame for next year by boasting that I didn`t bother to stop even while puking on myself
    The post season (once every four years) super ride comming up in June is Davis-Goose Lake-Davis in 80 hours. If you watch out your window, you might get to see one of them puke in your front yard.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Without being too specific, been having some issues in the personal zone for a little while, made sure I paid extra attention to how I sit on the bike on the ride in this morning. Sure enough, lots of pressure forward of where it should be. I'm going to try to point the front of the seat down for the ride home (assuming I can figure out how) but can anybody give me any pointers on what proper seat position should feel like? As I understand it I should be putting most/all of the weight on my "sit bones" kinda toward the back of my butt. And if I can't make this seat (still the seat that came with the bike, of course) feel right, suggest some other good seats I can look into?

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

I know some guys who ride a LOT (training for tri's, not just commuting) who ride on a noseless saddle, supposedly much healthier. I use my seat way too much for jockeying my bikes around, but a simple commuter bike might enjoy it.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I'm going to try to point the front of the seat down for the ride home (assuming I can figure out how) but can anybody give me any pointers on what proper seat position should feel like? As I understand it I should be putting most/all of the weight on my "sit bones" kinda toward the back of my butt. And if I can't make this seat (still the seat that came with the bike, of course) feel right, suggest some other good seats I can look into?
    Saddle issues are tough! Keep working at it though because it`s got to be THE most important part of bike comfort. Most of my weight is on my sit bones, but they`re directly under my hips no matter what position I`m sitting in, just change angle depending on how upright or tucked I am. I don`t think I could even force myself into some position that put them towards the back of my butt. I have to wonder if you`re thinking about some other points (that I have no idea what the anatomy charts label them as).

For saddle tilt, I find that if mine is too nose down I need to use a lot of force against my bars to keep from sliding off the front, too far back and I get a "pinching" type pain at the base of my scrotum. Undoubtedly, other riders have different formulas for that (and for everything else saddle related). IMO, playing with different tilts is a good first step, just make the changes gradually, be sure to give it enough time for a fair test after each change, and be prepared to give up on that saddle if you don`t get anywhere with it after a reasonable amount of time. Your decision as to what reasonable means there.

You can read all the suggestions and reviews you want on how somebody else`s butt gets along with some other saddle, but I honestly don`t think those reviews are worth beans when it comes to saddles. I say try em all! look for cheap saddles wherever you can- take off box at the LBS, unwanted saddles that a buddy tried and didn`t like, flea market, places that offer no questions returns, whatever. Eventually you`ll start seeing a trend as far as what shapes, firmness, and other characteristics work or don`t work for you, then try to dial it in.

Aside from the saddle itself, you probably know that clothes make a difference. At least for me they do. Even though I don`t wear "cycling" shorts of any kind, I try to find shorts or pants and underware with seams as inobtrusive as possible (otherwise I get friction burns or zits on my crotch). Creams help me quite a lot, powder is nearly as helpful for prevention and good for fixing up minor problems that I`ve already developed. It also helps to get out of the saddle frequently in order to rest whatever parts you`re sitting on and to let blood circulate (which is also good for mitigating foot pain).

Hope some of that helps- I know it sucks.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    ...What planet do the guys who do those distances (and more) on dirt come from?...
    Check the mirror dude, the longest I've ever attempted is 100mi.

Sanath, Trial and error. One of my bikes came with a saddle that never felt right. I bought one off Nashbar that had great reviews but when it came in it was nearly identical to the one I was taking off. I swapped it out and it's been a big improvement. Check your LBS for tester saddles. I know WTB has a demo program.

OK, I'm still waiting for spring. My morning commutes have been 24F, 30F and today 40F with cold rain. We've been running below normal temps for months now.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ...the longest I've ever attempted is 100mi.
    And damn exciting to finish, I know!

Yesterday`s mirror:
    Yeah! Yeah! I did it!
    Recalculating....