Page 384 of 429 FirstFirst ... 284334374380381382383384385386387388394 ... LastLast
Results 19,151 to 19,200 of 21412
    Moderator Moderator
    Finally put on the Ice Spikers this a.m., and rode home on a lovely white carpet. Still some honking from self-righteous motorists, but lovely overall.

This morning it had not snowed yet, about 7F, so I opted for some Bowie on the Ipod - but he kept repeating 1 song instead of playing the whole album or artist, not sure why. I would stop after 3 repeats or so and change songs.

NDD
    Baby boy
    19F going out and coming back. Little less windy on the return, which was appreciated. No bullheaded deer, but did catch an opossum, a skunk, and a pack of our resident non migrating geese.

It's getting to that part of the year that I won't run into people after dark. Kinda nice having the paths to myself for now.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

weirdo
    Cold and dry. No wind, no deer, no moose. On my way in tonight I saw a car parked off the road with parking lights lit, stopped to make sure everything was okay. Answer was "Yes, just talking". "Okie dokie, have a nice evening." Exciting commute.

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    This is up by the university. In essence, these deer are smart...
    Makes sense. They learn through osmosis or are they permitted to enroll?
    Recalculating....

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Makes sense. They learn through osmosis or are they permitted to enroll?
    Now, I reckon I've met a dear or two in class over the years.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Tried to talk myself out of commuting this morning, but decided to pedal. I need a cookie.

mtbr member
    ^ I hear you.

I could easily have not cycled this morning. Got up late, kit wasn't quite ready (needed to find a clean shirt for work), missed breakfast, on my bike ready to go, forgot my phone. So off the bike, cover off and open pannier for keys, into the house, grab phone, back out, lock door, keys in the pannier, on the bike, 100 yards out got a clonking from the rear wheel, damn, forgot to close the pannier or put the cover on so it was rattling in the wheel, sort that out and finally I'm off.

Not sure if it was skipping breakfast or just the generally disorganised start but felt short of energy for all but the last mile of the ride where I steamed it up the hill in recompense.

mtbr member
    A great commute this morning. 27 and dense fog in the valley. 28 and fresh snow in town - maybe an inch or inch and a half. Nice to ride without having to squeeze my bum cheeks together in fear of falling on the ice.

Bedwards Of The West
    I had an agonizing debate with myself about throwing the studs on this morning... I had them going all last week, and just switched back as the roads were clear. We had a "winter weather advisory" for last night, and I woke up just after the alarm should have gone off to find that the power had gone out... so I was already a bit frazzled trying to get ready in a hurry in the dark, and I kept trying to take glances outside...so hard to tell what was going on out there. Was it rain? Snow? The road looked dark like it was probably just rain.... eventually I decided to go without the studs (should always go with studs if you're having this kind of a conversation with yourself, by the way). My decision was largely based on not wanting to take the time to swap the wheels.

So I get out there, and it was... gloop? If you've had kids, and one of them has ever worn a regular diaper into a pool instead of a swim diaper, and then when they got out you've had that diaper burst open...that's the stuff that was covering the world this morning. So strange. I still don't know if not having studs was an OK decision. I was cutting down to pavement and throwing up a monster wake as I cut through the mush...I think the traction was fine. What was hitting me in the face felt like rain, but what was on the ground was more like a slurpee. Just weird. If I didn't have fenders I probably would have drowned.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Was on the fence about riding in today. I was sick this past weekend and took my vehicle into work to give my body some rest so that I could be back on the bike ASAP. I've still had a cough going so wasn't sure about riding and possibly making it worse. Left the house and it was lightly raining and 52F. Didn't get out of my complex before realizing I had the light on that had modified optics which is now not completely waterproof. I don't want to ruin it finding out so I turned around to grab my other light and it stopped raining so decided to make the dash for work without dealing with the light change. Overall it was a nice ride with just a bit of mist but man I could feel my lungs a bit after a few days off and after affects of being sick. Glad to be back on the bike. Being inactive for 4 days straight drives me crazy!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Cold, windy, snowy, poor traction. All the things I hate about commuting.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 4020/6000

mtbr member
    Had to be home on time last night so obviously that's the day I get a puncture... Knowing what an absolute git the Marathon Plus' were to get on or off I thought I'd see how far I got on an inflation. So pumped it up and it held for a mile or so, rinse and repeat for the next 4 miles. 4 months of use has made the tyre a bit more manageable so that was good. Nothing obvious in the tyre, inside or out, and a small hole in the tube that would have been directly on the tread centre. Took the opportunity to put new rim tape and reassemble. All ok today.

We have snow forecast for today, just a dusting I think, but could be interesting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    About halfway into my commute today it got pretty foggy. Had to aim my light down lower to cut back on the reflection off the fog. Temp was 38F which is cooler than lately due the break in rain. We are supposed to get more again this afternoon so i'm sure it'll be a wet ride home. Threw my googles in my bag just in case it starts coming down hard.

Bedwards Of The West
    Yesterday's slush-fest turned to today's ice nightmare... you could laugh as all of those big globs exploded while you rode through them without feeling them yesterday... today, every lump could potentially take you out. It got better closer to town, but I was pretty tired of having to concentrate so hard by the time i got to work. Not a relaxing ride in.

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-01-14-8.18.02-am.jpg

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-01-14-8.18.14-am.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Yesterday's slush-fest turned to today's ice nightmare... you could laugh as all of those big globs exploded while you rode through them without feeling them yesterday... today, every lump could potentially take you out. It got better closer to town, but I was pretty tired of having to concentrate so hard by the time i got to work. Not a relaxing ride in.
    Similar, but car snot was brown with salt and gravel yesterday at 8 C, with zero resistance....today lumpy and ready to take you out.....more snow coming.

NDD
    Baby boy
    ^ Ugh, no thanks.

Spring in the air around here. It's going to get up to 52F today. Made for a nice ride in, but I teach labs all day so I get the torture of looking out the window.

mtbr member
    Good riding conditions today. Light snow cover on both parts of my commute. I just wasn't so much feeling it. Dead legs and a swimming head. Just super tired. Hope I'm not getting sick. Will probably take the direct route to the bus this afternoon and work from home tomorrow.

Moderator Moderator
    Yikes, CB & JeffScott! Stay safe out there.

Today I dropped my car at the shop and took the bus/walked to early offsite training. R.I.P. 2005 Subaru Outback Impreza sport!

mtbr member
    Ride home was rain/sleet/snow with a stiff gusty wind on the way home. It was ok apart from my hands which became painfully cold, mostly as they got wet, in the thin woolen gloves I wear.

We had our sprinkle of snow last night which melted a bit and the the freeze set in. Fortunately not too much on the roads and I didnt feel any slip at all. I had on a buff and under helmet hat but riding against the wind it was pretty penetrating. I was about 6 miles or so into my 8 mile commute before I realised I hadnt put my helmet on...how the hell did that happen?!?!?! Felt naked for the rest of the journey.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Ditto. I ride a mup that's covered in a sea of frozen slush footprints. It's like riding inverted cobblestones.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    R.I.P. 2005 Subaru Outback Impreza sport!
    Dead and gone?

First time on the bike in a week. I got dressed for the ride in, it was supposed to be in the teens. Listened to the news. 1 degree F. Got dressed again. Grabbed the studded commuter to find that the freewheel was not free wheeling. Took the wheel off and gave it a soak in WD-40 to get it spinning again. Opted for the around the lake route even though the lake is (assumed) frozen. I was skating last weekend but then we got 2" of rain and 50F. The roads are still messy but not CB & Jeffsott messy. I've decided that my commute is too long to attempt riding in that type of condition if I have to take the main roads. Less traveled roads, no problem.

mtbr member
    Haven't commuted since Monday, been sick all week, last 2 days stayed home from work. Monday I had so much snot running down my beard I looked like the frozen guys from Dumb and Dumber on the moped haha!

Good news is I picked up my new commuter bike earlier this week and just finished up accessorizing her last night. Will post up some pics later, a 2016 GT Traffic.
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

weirdo

Surprise!

Wearing the wrong tires to the party seems to be all the rage this week, so I thought I`d join the club. Slow and easy all the way home- slipped many times, a couple dabs, but the only time I went down was when I originally mounted my beast, didn`t hurt anything. Caught a top notch sunrise over the valley, then got to make an anaconda down my virgin driveway.How was your commute today?-p1153215.jpgHow was your commute today?-p1153216.jpgHow was your commute today?-p1153219.jpg

RIP, Impreza. Sorry for your loss, former Impreza owner.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    New bike! a 2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (the cheap one) before and after I put a bunch of cool new stuff and cool old stuff from the old GT that was way too small for me.

Before: you can see Mr Cuddles is not impressed.

Ready to roll!

2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Commuted five days this week for the first time in a while. . .holiday time off, bike issues, etc. Felt good.

mtbr member
    Nice ride Eugene! Looks like you should fly on that.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Dead and gone?
    Not gone yet, but will not be legal after February. $1600 mechanical plus body work would be needed to pass inspection. Not worth it for a car I got for 7K over 5 years ago and with 179K miles now. I did have them fix the exhaust, so at least I can hear myself think while car shopping.

Great pix Rodar, your trees look beauteous in the snow! Glad you got there in one piece.

I like the new bike, Eugene, enjoy!

My morning ride was good, switched back to the cx bike since the roads are pretty clear. Tested out the furry winter conti's on an ice floe across the lane and they did fine, although I expect some road grit helped as well. I meant to try them on a snowy sidestreet but forgot.

The trip home was literally insane, because I took the bus, having worked late; wow, there are some interesting characters out there. One loud talker, a seemingly bright guy but with zero social filters asked a woman if her boyfriend had raped her (we had been hearing from her, also loudly, about his arrests, jail time, domestic violence, and heroin, and also her arrest/hearing on resisting arrest). I guess this crossed the line, because she replied that she was not going to talk about that on the bus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Nice ride Eugene! Looks like you should fly on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I like the new bike, Eugene, enjoy!
    Thanks! I took it for a spin around the neighborhood yesterday and it's quite a bit faster than my Ghost with the big fat knobbie tires lol! Will have to get used to taking it easy over bumps and curbs and such.
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Haven't commuted work in quite sometime. My daughters were up earlier then normal this am so I figured, what the heck? Its wasn't raining to bad out. But with no fenders and a mile of dirt road, I got a little muddy. Even made it to work with plenty of time to spare cleaning up. I need to do this more.
    Jeremy Farrell

I'd rather be on my bike
    Horrible. Rode in feeling less than ideal for work. MUP was a sheet of ice that had to be walked in some spots. Wind was just blasting me in the face. Got to work and changed and just didn't feel that good. Grabbed a Diet Vernor's (ginger ale for those of you not in the immediate mid west) and worked on that. At 4:45, I punched out and left after getting sick twice in the bathroom. I felt a bit better but I feel as though if you get sick at work, it is common courtesy to not subject your coworkers to it. They were kind of pissed that I felt good enough to ride my bike home. Uh, yeah, that is how I got to work. Would be the same as driving. I would have had to have driven home in traffic. Would have been worse if I had to get sick again to be honest. And that feeling hasn't quite disappeared yet. Came home, let the dog out, and grabbed him and jumped in bed and slept a good 5 more hours. Just got up a little while ago and went and got some Gatorade and am working on that and some chicken noodle soup. Feeling better but not all there yet. Will be driving Sunday just because I could save the energy. Blisteringly cold temps coming for Monday, and I am scheduled to deliver.

NDD
    Baby boy
    ^ I don't really know how they could get mad at you. I mean you rode there feeling fine, started feeling like crap, and had to ride back, because that was your transport. I think this boils down to the idea that people think bikes are all about leisure. Obviously for us that's not true.

Bogus.

guy
    7F this morning with a wind chill of about -15F and yet I managed to overdress. I wore an extra thermal long sleeve under my fleece and was sweating when I got to work. Everything else was pretty good, though I miss my bar mitts. Gloves just don't work quite as well. My fingers were the only thing that was cold and it wasn't too bad.

Got a lot of questions and comments when I rolled in this morning. One guy asked where I was from, as if I grew up in Siberia or something and that is how I can handle these temperatures. His next question was "don't you have a car?" I started going into all the reasons that I prefer to ride my bike, but I needed to get to a meeting so I only got through about half of them. Sometimes it feels good to be the resident "badass" at work.
    Commute miles:
    2016: 1135/3000

mtbr member
    May 2006
    -3 up from -18C last night...

Ground temp was still quite cold...

Hit a bit of stiffer???? than most car snot at 25 kph and lost the front wheel, bike went right and I dabbed and damn near went down...

Note if I had gone left with a car coming I could easily have been killed....

Always ride far left to help force the oncoming further left....then as they get close swing right to ensure a car snot skid will be to the right and safety....

I'd rather be on my bike
    8° and west winds as I headed to deliver. That was horrible. Started snowing about an hour before I finished. Came home to get the car to drive to work. Still feeling the effects of this stomach bug. Barely ate anything this morning and had half a banana at the bike shop before delivering. Working on a yogurt right now. Just no appetite at all.

CB of the East
    Funny bus story MTXB.

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    They were kind of pissed that I felt good enough to ride my bike home. Uh, yeah, that is how I got to work. Would be the same as driving. I would have had to have driven home in traffic. Would have been worse if I had to get sick again to be honest.
    I've had the same thought about riding the bike home early. You ARE well enough to ride your bike.... Hope you are feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Glad to have you hear posting about it.

My commute in sucked. It was my first lake crossing of the season so that was good(ish). There was some slush on top that should be frozen by now. But now there is 2 inches of snow on top of it.

The suck part comes from the failed tubeless conversion that seemed fine when I left home and somehow lost all it's air by the time I got to the lake. Ultimately resulting in me calling my wife to come get me for the first time in about 6 years of near daily commuting. Got to work and in the comfort of my office the tire sealed up like there was never a problem. Yeah, not a big fan of tubeless right now.

So far I've had 3 rides on my totally f-in awesome new bike and 1) smashed my face in. 2) walked/pushed it through deep snow. 3) Got a flat and had to call for a ride. This just ain't right.

But it is a pretty bike porn red.
    How was your commute today?-20160118_125310.jpg

NDD
    Baby boy
    ^ But didn't riding that bike make you feel like a badass while falling on your face, pushing through snow, and calling a ride? I mean. It had to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Glad you weren't bud, reflex and instinct saved you.

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    8° and west winds as I headed to deliver. That was horrible. Started snowing about an hour before I finished. Came home to get the car to drive to work. Still feeling the effects of this stomach bug. Barely ate anything this morning and had half a banana at the bike shop before delivering. Working on a yogurt right now. Just no appetite at all.
    That's all pretty sucky TS, rest up, fuel up and look after yourself

But it is a pretty bike porn red.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160118_125310.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	1043723
    Yes it is! Great looking machine

Finished early for a doctors appointment yesterday, nice to ride in the daylight. Caught the school run which I think is worse than rushhour. A lot of those Mums are mental/incompetent/completely unaware.

This morning was colder -3C/26F but minimal ice as it is dry. I was warm enough except for my gentlemans area. How do you guys with proper cold keep your plums warm?

weirdo
    It was beautiful and sunny out this afternoon. Even now in the wee hours it`s still pretty warm. Roads completely dry, and the mud in my yard is getting manageable- time for a new batch of wet.

It has to get better, Bedwards. On the bright side... after your ill fated Danny M impersonation left you with a couple grams less in the dental department, your entire rider+carbon bike package is now even lighter than it was on Christmas morning! That`s worth something ain`t it? Glad you got in a lake crossing, even though the commute as a whole didn`t go as planned.

SlipSpace, maybe my winters aren`t "proper cold", but I`ve never had frozen plum syndrome while riding. Maybe because I wear Jockey shorts? But even after they stretch and wear out and don`t keep all the stock in the barn any more I don`t have that problem. Sorry, not much help, eh?
    Recalculating....

NDD
    Baby boy
    @ SlipSpace, I've never had that problem except at lower temps when I was underdressed. I wear normal pants though when I ride so usually long underwear and jeans/cargo pants does the trick. Also, boxer briefs under that. You would be hard pressed to freeze your plums art that rate.

No commute yesterday. Federal holiday meant no class so I worked from home. Gonna be a cold one today and snowing on my way back. Should be fun.

mtbr member
    Thanks Gents. I don't think my weather counts as proper cold either Rodar but some of the folk on here have it really bloody cold in the minus Fahrenheit scale and I was pondering the situation.

Underdressed is probably the issue to be honest.

guy
    Slipspace: When it gets below 20F I put some Goretex snow/rain paints over my normal bib tights and that keeps me plenty warm down to 0F. My Goretex paints are also pretty windproof. I have a friend that runs in all temperatures and he recommends thermal briefs for the issue you describe.

Today marks two days of sub 10F rides. I've been driving part of the way to shorten the distance.
    Commute miles:

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    14F (-1F wind chill) and a 20mph steady headwind gusting to 35mph. At least it's dry.

How cold until you guys start wearing eye protection/ski goggles? I got a pair for Christmas, haven't used them yet.

guy
    I wear them for pretty much anything below 18-20F. I could get away with regular glasses, but I prefer the goggles when it gets that cold.

This is what I wore yesterday for my commute home in 8F:

Name:  20160118_181233.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  40.9 KB
    Commute miles:

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    I start wearing goggles in the mid teens F
    It's a pain when its 10F in the morning and then 25-30F in the afternoon because I have to bring glasses and goggles.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    It has to get better, Bedwards. On the bright side... after your ill fated Danny M impersonation left you with a couple grams less in the dental department, your entire rider+carbon bike package is now even lighter than it was on Christmas morning! That`s worth something ain`t it? Glad you got in a lake crossing, even though the commute as a whole didn`t go as planned.
    I'm still waiting. The ride home was without incident. This morning at 10F I started across the lake and this happened.
    How was your commute today?-flat.jpg
    Assuming the tire is not an expensive piece of trash now the tubes are going back in. It was a long walk back home with the bike on my shoulders. One minute it was holding air and the next it was flopping off the rim.
    The Sub-zero sealant appeared to freeze but who knows.
    How was your commute today?-subsero.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Glad you weren't bud, reflex and instinct saved you.

This morning was colder -3C/26F but minimal ice as it is dry. I was warm enough except for my gentlemans area. How do you guys with proper cold keep your plums warm?

I think some of the members slightly missed my point....

There was no car coming IF a car was coming and i fell left then death may have ensued...

I posted this for all bikers pedalling in car snot...

A good strategy to avoid that situation is to always stay left then veer to the right as the car passes...that will ensure a fall right rather than left...

Of course going slower massively helps the car snot situation....

However over the years a small random piece of car snot as jumped up and got me too many times.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm still waiting. The ride home was without incident. This morning at 10F I started across the lake and this happened.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flat.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	1043935
    Not sure could it be the reduction in air pressure from shop temp to 10 F coupled with the aluminium shrinking more than rubber that drop the air pressure enough to allow a burp????

The drop in air temp to pressure is about 12%.....the differential shrinkage couold account for another 10% easily?

CB of the East
    I was running it at a relatively high pressure for a fatty. Maybe 10PSI. Much firmer than I would have preferred but I didn't trust it at lower pressures. Riding on the road just before the lake it still had pressure.

Aluminum shrinkage vs rubber shrinkage? If it's that great I don't know how any tubeless system work. In fact, I don't know how any tubeless system works given my experience. I'm really hoping the tire is not toast. I couldn't even keep it on the rim for the way home but everything was stiff.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was running it at a relatively high pressure for a fatty. Maybe 10PSI. Much firmer than I would have preferred but I didn't trust it at lower pressures. Riding on the road just before the lake it still had pressure.

Aluminum shrinkage vs rubber shrinkage? If it's that great I don't know how any tubeless system work. In fact, I don't know how any tubeless system works given my experience. I'm really hoping the tire is not toast. I couldn't even keep it on the rim for the way home but everything was stiff.
    if you filled a 70 F I would estimate your cold operating pressure at not more than 7.5 psi

CB of the East
    That sounds reasonable. Probably closer to 60F for the high temp. It definitely wasn't riding like the pressure was too low. I was keeping a pretty watchful eye on both tires. I will mention that both failures happened while riding through heavy slush on top of the lake. Maybe it applies different forces to the tires.

Bedwards Of The West
    What the heck bedwards. That sucks. I'm tubeless on the fatty with no issues. I did have gorilla tape issues (seepage at the rim holes), and switched to split tubes and haven't had an issue since. At least a couple 2+ hour rides in teen temps without a hint of drama from the tubeless setup. Sorry for the bad experience on behalf of the tubeless community

34 degrees and raining hard this morning. My rain gear is old and horrible. Even so, it was enough rain that my 'waterproof' Timbuk2 backpack seeped a bit and I have a couple wet spots on my shirt. The laptop is fine I'd much rather have ice out there.