Page 383 of 594 FirstFirst ... 283 333 373 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 393 433 483 ... LastLast
Results 9,551 to 9,575 of 14830
    some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Very nice commutes for me lately. The heat here is finally starting to break and it is making for a good cool tempeture in the morning when I am leaving. This has me thinking about doing longer commutes to work. Also it has been less windy which has been pleasent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Full Spring pattern: warm temps, thunderstorms, and tons of pollen in the air. My eyes are all puffy. We have some potential for severe weather this afternoon, so I'm crossing my fingers it holds off until I get home.

mtbr member
    First ride with the summer gloves! Whoo!

Also discovered that my radbot shuts off when I shake it...which explains why when I get to work I only have one taillight on. I was convinced that I just kept forgetting to turn on the second one.
    Last edited by newfangled; 04-18-2013 at 07:44 AM.

mtbr member
    A great commute this AM. Cool temps still, 14F when I left the house. Sunny with really fast trails. Even with waiting on traffic (moose on the trail) and eventually detouring around I made the ride in just a touch over 20 minutes. Not a bad way to start the day.

I Ride for Donuts
    We demand moose pictures whenever possible.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I guess I'll have to start carrying a camera. Though today's would have been nothing more than a picture of a moose butt, which is not a pretty sight. He was hanging around the same area on the ride home last night, so will likely be there tonight as well. I'll see if I can't get a shot of him that shows something other than his 'himness'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Also discovered that my radbot shuts off when I shake it...which explains why when I get to work I only have one taillight on. I was convinced that I just kept forgetting to turn on the second one.
    My cure for that: open it up and bend the copper contacts so they have to push against their mates more. A little steel wool to polish then doesn't hurt either.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    I'll see if I can't get a shot of him that shows something other than his 'himness'.
    Avoiding his 'himness' might be tough depending on your definition. As only the males have antlers there is a 'himness' at both ends.

Try to avoid getting one of him bearing down on you. You likely won't survive to post it. We would miss that. Er... you.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Cold ride (by Vegas standards) in this morning and fast ride (wind finally gone) home. Supposed to be close to ninety this weekend. Be glad for Saturday so I can make the usual transition from commuter to mountain biker. Rough winds have made the commuting week feel longer.

mtbr member
    While checking out some parts and stuff came across these;How was your commute today?-vo_thumbie_mounts-6.jpg
    VO Thumb Shifter Mounts - Shifting - Components
    Would have made my drop bar experiment much easier, as they are made to fit both drops AND riser/flat bars.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good commute today, if a bit overcast. On the recommendation from the boss man, I took a different route to work...adds about 4 miles, but is much less congested (at least until I hit the town center) and is a bit greener, versus the swampy road I go through usually. I found not a huge increase in time, for much more enjoyment.

Also, my shoes are out for repair/replacement (the top layer of carbon+the upper was separating from the midsole on both shoes), so I switched to flats,and in turn, was forced to enjoy the ride (read:slow down) a bit more than usual. On a related note, it turns out that a foot pain I was having was because I was leaning on the outer part of my left foot, rather than the ball, so hopefully the flats will help with my placement when I am reunited with my shoes.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Commute home last night, raining, busy road, found an opening in traffic and crossed the two travel lanes to get into the left turn lane. This section of road is downhill so that I can get enough speed to move across traffic without really holding anyone up.

I'm coasting down to the red turn arrow when my back tire goes flat. Not a slow flat but a quick hiss and suddenly I am riding on the rim at about 20 MPH. I come to a stop and find myself sitting in a sea of cars at a red light with a flat tire. Now what to do? I'm in the left turn lane and it's not really safe for me to dismount the bike and walk it due to the heavy traffic in both directions. I've got cars in front of me and behind me in the left turn lane. So, when the light turns green I do the only thing I can think of which is to gingerly ride the left turn and get over to the curb as fast as I could. I was cringing feeling the flat tire and rim grinding in the back.

Luckily there was an office building on the corner with a covered walkway so I was able to change the tube out of the rain. I pulled a big hunk of glass out of the tire but was soon back on my way. Rim seems to have come through just fine. This particular tire has ~5500 miles on it, perhaps it's time for a replacement...

The rest of the ride home was uneventful. Headwind this morning was brutal.

mtbr member
    Man, drivers are @#$holes. I got yelled at again yesterday while dismounted and walking my bike through a lit crosswalk. The snow is gone, and all week it's just been non-stop idiocy. And plain vanilla idiocy would be bad enough, but a lot of this is malicious idiocy.

I Ride for Donuts
    Woodway, that's no fun! I would have debated cyclocross-running through the intersection when the light turned green

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Hey you guys, I'm back. I've kind of been back for a few days but had to travel for work within 12 hours of arriving. I'll post some pics of my ride in the DR in the passion thread when I get a chance and post a link here. I did get to read both Bike Snob books during my airplane time, recommended read for all here. Funny and insightful stuff.

I was WAY overdressed for my commute today. Spring arrived while I was gone and I didn't get to ease into it. Not that I am complaining.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Came in an hour later than usual. Let me tell you, the scenery along San Diego's Embarcadero is a lot different at 7am than it is at 6!

mtbr member
    It has been a very strange weather week which in turn makes for strange commuting. First was serious windage with some crazy headwinds on the way to work but nice tailwinds on the way home. Had some "fun" crosswinds from it too...nothing like screaming down a hill when a huge gust hits ya and nearly pushes you into the guardrail.
    How was your commute today?-weather1.jpg

Second was a freak April snowstorm. Did not enjoy that. Had left home in the AM figuring the forecasters were wrong...they weren't. This was conidtions before I left work:
    How was your commute today?-weather2.jpg

Luckily I had an extra sweatshirt in the office to add a layer but I was missing tights, coat and warm gloves. I was one cold, wet commuter by the time I rolled in my door. And Sunday had been nearly 70 degrees!

Ready for the Spring crazy weather to be over, but it keeps you on your toes!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    26F, fast, and fun in the sun!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Huge wind today... almost tipped over by a side gust at speed! In to work in the AM wasn't too bad, though I had to haul out my gloves (low 40's). On the way home (mid 30's) I got pelted by micro-hail and still huge winds.

But still better than NOT riding!

Bicycle Radical

Smile

A headwind from the east when you're heading east is unpleasant to say the least. That was the story of yesterday's commute home. It was good training though.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    After getting used to the warm weather I was reminded that spring is a confusing time. This weeks commute has been low 40's in to work and high 20's on the way home in the am. I had to pack my tights and sweatshirt. Nevertheless, times have been dropping and I feel a bit stronger lately.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    48 F for a high. Took three tries until I got the layers right. Nice in sun sheltered from wind. Chilly in shade with wind. One pickup's wide mirror came a within about a foot because his right tires were almost on the fog line. Likely wandered over looking too closely at me. Further along, I signaled and I took the right lane to get by a car that was parked on the shoulder. Nearest overtaking car was about 1/4 mile back. No others close enough to be affected. Closing at 50 mph with me riding into a stronger angled gust. I gave him the 'get it over now!' wave just before he moved. Left lane was entirely clear. I was heading for the rumble strip to crowd the parked car to avoid being his hood ornament. Closer than it needed to be, for sure. Daydreaming, I guess.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Slid through Wal-mart this am for some stuff and on my way through sporting goods I was shocked to see they now sell Schwinn brand short liners, as well as Kryptonite and On Guard U-locks. Bought an On Guard 5523 (with the cable included), just too convenient after seeing the idiot locked up next to me with a rather nice 80's vintage Schwinn road bike with a real thin cable through ONLY the front wheel spokes.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

My Brain Hurts!
    On my last commute ride I had a first. A Pedestrian yelled some stupid **** at me! He yelled something about my helmet....I didn't catch it all as I didn't really care but I though it awfully stupid...
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

I Ride for Donuts
    Feels so good to be healthy (finally) again. Last week was a long week of horrible commutes. I stuck it out and didn't drive, but it's so nice to enjoy being on the bike again! Got a good ride in last night, and took the trail route this morning. Legs are a little sore, but spring is in the air and coffee tastes good again. So nice.