Page 383 of 421 FirstFirst ... 283333373379380381382383384385386387393 ... LastLast
Results 19,101 to 19,150 of 21030
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    One of the dropouts on the new bike bent. Gap big enough to make the nut useless. Slow peddled two miles to work with essentially one bolt holding back wheel on. I tell bike shop this is unacceptable and he starts acting like I must've had an impact accident to do that. Then acts like cause I put new tubes in bike that I voided out potential warranty by working on bike myself. . .I will sort this out tomorrow with him when I bring bike back down to him. He wants to see it and said we'll figure something out.

Meanwhile, spent an hour getting my geared mt. bike ready for tomorrow commute cause I seems like this bike might be down a bit.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I'm frustratingly slow! It was a toasty 0F here both yesterday and today but it has warmed up to 22F now.

The lake has skimmed! With luck I'll be able to ride it starting next Monday or so. Will do a skating recon this weekend to check the thickness.
    On the plus side of pokiness, today my boss was like, "was that you at the light at about 7 last night?" Me: Oh yes, that's about right." I did work a little late, but it also took about 50 minutes to travel to that spot from work, <8 miles away.

Stay safe on that lake!

Great pix CB!

And I hope everyone's bikes and bodies recover!

mtbr member
    Get well soon mtb!

Ride home was ok. Ride this morning was wet! First time this winter I decided that I do need to put the waterproof jacket on, and I'm glad I did. Heavy rain, cold gusty wind and crappy visibility. Still in shorts though as they're the only suitable biking gear I've got. socks gloves and shoes currently drying on the heater.

guy
    Parked a little closer to work than normal to shorten my commute because I couldn't get my ass moving this morning and was running late. Commute was good, about 23F. Supposed to warm up to the mid 40s this afternoon and my wife is staying at her parent's tonight, so I might tack on a couple pleasure miles before looping back to the car.

Saw another bike commuter today for the first time since I changed jobs in May. The guy was riding a fat bike with full face mask and goggles. I felt bad for him on the pavement with the fat bike (there are no trails around here) but it was nice to see that I'm not the only one that doesn't want to spend every moment in a temperature controlled box.

Bedwards Of The West
    A full week of studs... Glorious.

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-01-07-10.50.01-am.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Anchorage, AK
    Things did not go well today. The commute is about 3 miles. After about a mile the front end started feeling twitchy. I stopped several times to examine the fork, the frame, and the headset. Everything checked out, but the twitchiness kept getting worse. By the time I got to work the bike was unrideable and I had to walk the last quarter mile. WtF.

It turns out that when I rebuilt the REAR wheel last weekend (I wanted to upgrade the hub), I didn't tighten the spokes evenly enough. Most of the spokes on the right side had loosened up and the wheel was in the process of coming apart--a half hour with the spoke wrench and all was well. It was a good reminder to take my time when I work on the bike and to double check everything.
    --Peace

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Things did not go well today. The commute is about 3 miles. After about a mile the front end started feeling twitchy. I stopped several times to examine the fork, the frame, and the headset. Everything checked out, but the twitchiness kept getting worse. By the time I got to work the bike was unrideable and I had to walk the last quarter mile. WtF.

It turns out that when I rebuilt the REAR wheel last weekend (I wanted to upgrade the hub), I didn't tighten the spokes evenly enough. Most of the spokes on the right side had loosened up and the wheel was in the process of coming apart--a half hour with the spoke wrench and all was well. It was a good reminder to take my time when I work on the bike and to double check everything.
    I had that happen the first time I ever built a wheelset, except I was 10 miles into a 24 mile singletrack loop and I didn't pack a spoke wrench. It was a long walk back to my car.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    First week back to work after 3 weeks off - been tough going! Made worse by another bad puncture with my previously trusty Bontrager XR2s :/

Back in December I posted in this thread about my 26" bike getting a large cut in the center tread of the Bontrager XR2 tubeless tire I was using, and how the repair didn't work. I've not got around to replacing the tyre, so have ridden my 29er recently - again with a Bontrager XR2 rear.

The *exact* same thing happened to me on the commute home today! Large puncture/cut, in the *exact* same part of the tire (dead center between 2 tread blocks)! As luck would have it, the moment sealant started to spew out everywhere, it started to snow for the first time this winter! So it was a nice time trying to get enough air in to ride out of the woods.

Now I need to replace 2 tyres. My trust in the XR2s is really diminished, especially as they are pretty expensive here (~80CHF/80USD per tyre). I am very tempted to go back to Maxxis, and use Exo Dual Tubeless Ikons instead... for half the price.

Bummed out, but well, at least the 10PSI left in the tyre got me home!
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD (29er)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

NDD
    Baby boy
    Slow, but not cold. The new tires offer quite a bit more rolling resistance. I guess I was spoiled by the low profile knobs on the rear tire before, though. That said I did opt for a little off-road side trip on the not- too- muddy bits of trail. I must say I appreciated them at that point.

On the way home I noticed orange spray paint marking a couple trees in front of a trail, which I always presumed was a private walking path to someone's house. I stopped to look at it for a minute. Someone is definitely doing some bicycling there. A little ways in and I could see tire tracks and a few log obstacles. I'll have to investigate this and if nobody is trying to keep anyone out, then it just might be a pretty good find.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    I had that happen the first time I ever built a wheelset, except I was 10 miles into a 24 mile singletrack loop and I didn't pack a spoke wrench. It was a long walk back to my car.
    Note to self: Start packing a spoke wrench!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Commuted on a geared bike for the third time in three years. Starting to wonder why I've only used it three times. Sort of nice having options.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Great day here for riding. It hit 41F and was sunny while I was delivering. Ride to work was uneventful as was the ride home. Felt great to be back on the fixed gear again.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3281/6000

mtbr member
    Good ride home. My gear had dried out and the wind had moreorless done a 180 and was a good 3/4 tail wind for most of the way.

Coldest morning yet this winter today at 1C, but it was dry.

Spoke to the bike shop yesterday, they have no more Lumina 220s in stock and Niterider cant supply a replacement until about 2 weeks (wtf!? due to xmas apparently). I can wait, chose a different one or get a refund. I might just go for a bigger output Lumina as I really like the light but am open to suggestions for a USB rechargeable unit.

Did I catch a niner+?
    It was nice. Felt rather warm almost hot to me today, for the top half of me I wore a wool T-Shirt and a Woolrich jacket over it. It snowed about an inch last night but it was all wet when I left this morning (thanks fenders).
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    -20c Starting to get cold.

mtbr member
    14F at the house this morning. Had to work from home on Wednesday and Thursday which was a bummer and even without the riding those days my legs still felt dead this AM. I did do some riding on Wednesday, though. Our one vehicle broke down with my wife and one of the dogs in it. So I rode over to where she was broken down to check into what the possible cause was. Then, once we got a tow truck on its way I sprinted to the Uhaul store to rent a pickup (Only place even remotely close to rent a vehicle) so I could round up parts and get the burban fixed. By midnight I had it all repaired and running like a champ again - bad fuel pump. Decided there was no way I was getting up at 4 to go work at the office on Thursday...

mtbr member
    -20c

Good save Blockphi. Cars dont like the cold any better than we do and resent being out in in I reckon. That's why they make us grub about underneath when the weather is worst.

Someone at the office accused me of being an 80's throwback today when they saw my jacket. To be fair they're not far off; I can't remember if I got this in the late 80's or early 90's, I was still in school. Admittedly I didn't wear it until about 8 years ago (to embarrassed) but don't give a hoot now. Good jacket, does the job nicely and what do you mean SMIDSY?!?!?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-dsc_0101.jpg  

Last edited by SlipSpace; 01-08-2016 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spellings!!

CB of the East
    How was my commute?

Took the trails

The trails hadn't been packed

I did some walking

There was a good sunrise.

The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration

It took 1 hour & 45 minutes to get to work

I'm carpooling home tonight.

NDD
    Baby boy
    @ SlipSpace: I am super jealous of that jacket. I wear safety yellow all winter because it's visible and the jacket is the only light and warm thing I have. That jacket, pretty slick though.

No commute. Long drive after work today. Going to SoMo to see my girlfriend. Definitely bringing the bike though

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Drove today cause I headed to a couple of bike shops straight from work. I hate having three bikes and only one operating. Was down to zero of three operational. Took new bike back to LBS after work and they said they can fix the dropout. Had to go to another bike shop to find a locknut for a Monocog. So after this weekend I should be back up to three operational bikes and no charge. Locknut given to me free and repairs on new bike are free as well.

Moderator Moderator
    j
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post

Someone at the office accused me of being an 80's throwback today when they saw my jacket. To be fair they're not far off; I can't remember if I got this in the late 80's or early 90's, I was still in school. Admittedly I didn't wear it until about 8 years ago (to embarrassed) but don't give a hoot now. Good jacket, does the job nicely and what do you mean SMIDSY?!?!?
    That jacket is now a classic! I had to look up SMIDSY, got a pic of a Kangaroo, and the desired SORRY MATE I DIDN'T SEE YOU!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    -20c Starting to get cold.
    Stay warm up there!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Started out absolutely wonderful. Nice ride to the LBS before delivery to just shoot the BS with my buddy. 41F and sunny. Started delivering, and everything was alright weather wise until about noon or so. Started to drizzle/mist a little bit. Not bad at all. Still halfway decent out. Then it started to sprinkle, and then a bit more, then the temp started to slightly drop and the wind pick up. Then it started to actually rain. At 2PM, I was done and standing in the shop with soaking wet shoes and socks. Still had another 5 mile ride up to the hospital to go to work. 35F and steadily raining. No time like the present to just go so off I went. By the time I was at the hospital, I was cold. Feet were cold, hands were alright in the Showers Pass gloves. Body was dry and halfway warm with the rain jacket on. Tights actually kept my legs somewhat dry.

The ride home flat out sucked. Steady rain, poor visibility, huge puddles, and of course I started the ride in wet socks and shoes because they didn't dry. Didn't matter because 4.2 seconds into the ride they were completely drenched all over again. Feet are still cold right now as I type this with them in front of the space heater. My dog is blocking a lot of it but I am getting some. Need to find a waterproof commuter SPD shoe, not boot, for days like this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Today was the coldest ride of the season by about 15 degrees. It was 7F on the way in with snow on the ground and ice on the roads. I wasn't counting on such crappy conditions on the roads. I made it though on my SS with a knobby on the front and a slick on the back.

The bike I usually ride in the winter is on the trainer in my basement and the brakes don't work. I swapped out the front tire to ride in today and discovered that the reason my brakes might not work is that the rim is really narrow and the V-brakes have a hard time contacting the rim. I had to cinch up the cable on my SS just to get any braking. I am considering swapping rims between the two bikes since it seems like the one set of V-brakes can compensate for the skinny rims, while the other can't (especially with fenders).

I'd rather be on my bike
    Well, this is gonna suck. Couple of inches of snow on top of a hard packed snow and ice combo, and it is currently 12F out and I leave in about an hour to go deliver then to my other job. Decided not to mess with swapping out my rear studded tire and I am headed to the shop with my tire to let someone competent in tires do it. Don't feel like battling it for an hour.

mtbr member
    Metro Detroit... glare ice everywhere. Rolling up to the bike rack, I barely grazed the brake and ended up getting some R4D Y0 drifty slide action with one foot on the ground. It's like a skating rink. Probably should have lowered my tire pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    Pedal-powered tractor!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    First commute on my new bike and it was great. Picked up a lightly used cross bike and traded my 10.5miles of muddly & sloppy dirt road/single track for 10.5miles of pavement and shaved 12 minutes.

How was your commute today?-haanjo.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It was cold (for Charleston...where did my 70 degree winter go?).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Commuted in the vehicle today:-( . After being sick all weekend I decided it'd probably give myself a day of rest out of the cold to try and get over this bug. Hopefully i'll be back on the bike tomorrow. Didn't do much of anything all weekend except watch TV. Only thing remotely productive I was able to do was changed out the brake pads on my commuter. They were pretty much down to nothing and the last couple of days there was not enough pad to be able to lock up the rear in the wet even if I tried. With my commute consisting of a couple of fast descents figured it was about to become a safety issue.

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. 36F at the house with winds 10 to 15 out of the north. 34F in town. The bike trails have gone back to being super slick as the thin layer of ice chips that had been made by the studded tires and runners with shoe spikes have mostly melted back into the ice, creating some nice glare ice - generally on corners. Good times. Forecast calls for ice pellets today. Also good times. I'm sick of Alaska winters. I need to move somewhere where there is actually snow!

Bedwards Of The West
    A bit frosty this morning

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2016-01-11-9.41.29-am.jpg

mtbr member
    I was completely flattened at home with a cold on thursday and friday, started to feel humanish on saturday, and mostly recovered yesterday.

I'll still be coughing for a few days, but today was the first ride back. I always wonder if riding in the cold with a cough makes things worse, but don't have an empirical way to test it, so whatever.

There aren't many celebrities I have much fondness for, but awww man, Bowie.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I was completely flattened at home with a cold on thursday and friday, started to feel humanish on saturday, and mostly recovered yesterday.

I'll still be coughing for a few days, but today was the first ride back. I always wonder if riding in the cold with a cough makes things worse, but don't have an empirical way to test it, so whatever.

There aren't many celebrities I have much fondness for, but awww man, Bowie.
    Ashes to ashes, funk to funky.

Did I catch a niner+?
    My commute is only a mile and I had full ice beard when I got in. I think the weather human said it was -6F today.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Fixed drop outs on my new bike and rode it today. Nine miles on it and fresh from the bike shop and the back hub already has a bit of play. Cold by Vegas standards. 34f in and 50f for ride home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Cold by Vegas standards. 34f in and 50f for ride home.
    Sure was! Felt like below freezing this morning, probably the humidity from the rains lately.
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

NDD
    Baby boy
    Pretty chilly but not too bad. About 24F when I left the house today. About 30F on the return, but much more windy. Actually a pretty beautiful winter day to be on the bike.

I tried to stop and take photos of the icicles hanging on top of tunnels where the bike path goes under the roads, but it was dark and my phone camera sucks. One was almost touching the ground.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Most of it sucked. The ride to the shop wasn't too bad but was super cold at a balmy 12F. By the time we went to deliver an hour later, the sun had come out and the temp dropped to 10F. The roads sucked, we were busy as hell since today was the first day of class and we were severely understaffed with drivers. I had an ice beard big time by the time I got to work. Was frozen solid as I was blasted by the dang wind. Side roads were not too bad. Ride home was pretty fun since we got about 2" of fresh powder. Made the time go by fast concentrating on what was underneath. For the first time in a long time, my hands were not cold. These REI gloves are the ticket I think. As long as I put them on inside and do not touch anything cold I was good to go. It was 11F and snowing when I left work tonight. Hands were actually warm which surprised me big time.

mtbr member
    Been a colder couple of days so far this week, still above freezing though, but with a wind. It's been dry though so that's better.

Bought a new light over the weekend to replace the Niterider 220. Got a Smart 700. Never heard of the brand before but supposed to have a 700 lumen output. Smart 700 Lumen USB Front Light | Planet X
    Less focused than the Niterider so gets a little lost where it's bright but certainly chucks out a lot of light for the unlit areas. Hopefully running at 220 will give me a weeks worth of charge rather than needing to do it every day like the Niterider. Mount isn't as good either, needed some padding for a secure fit but for the price point it's a good deal. I'm keen to try some night exploration on the MTB now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Pleasant commute this morning. It was 34F with snow on the way. The sun is thinking about coming up around when I bike in, and light was poking through a few holes in the clouds and accentuating dark bands in the sky.

I saw four deer. Two ran in front of me. I am not going to say I would have hit one of them if I hadn't slowed down, but I needed to slow down for one who was wanting to dart across the road in front of me. She was about 10-15 feet away. Just last week I had seen my first deer on a commute in almost 9 years of commuting by bike. The old commutes just didn't lend themselves to seeing much wildlife.

NDD
    Baby boy
    ^At least your deer don't stand in the middle of the bike path/road and refuse to move out of your way. There are four deer around the same spot that do that a couple times a week recently. It's kind of an awkward process because I don't want to get kicked, but I've found just dismounting and standing there freaks then out because they must only then realize a human is present.

CB of the East
    ^^Wow, you've got some brazen deer. Even the big herds of them I go through in the winter don't stick around as soon as they see me.

Sold the Pigsley! Wooo Hooo! It weighed out at 38lbs. I don't think I'll miss it.

No commute (or ride at all) for the last few days due to appointments and stuff. Snow coming in tonight so the AM is uncertain too. Possibly a fatbike ride across the lake and through the trails if they don't get buried.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    @NDD: There is a trail system about an hour east of here where the deer are thick and do what you just described. I was riding with a group once, and we came around a corner and were blocked by a huge buck just standing there. We all slammed on the brakes and had to wait for him to clear the trail.

@bedwards1000: These are urban deer, enamored by headlights and not afraid to take one for the team.

NDD
    Baby boy
    This is up by the university. In essence, these deer are smart and know you can't do anything because they can't be hunted on campus the surrounding suburban are due to city ordinances about discharging firearms.

More so, they're very over populated and have been decimating the vegetation around campus so they have to get brave and venture out to eat. They have simply lost the fear response towards people because we can't touch them and they have to eat what little is left in more and more public areas.

mtbr member
    Pssh.. deer. Try getting a moose to move out the way! There's a challenge.

Good ride in this AM. Freezing rain in Anchorage. At first I was thinking I just needed to stay on the bus and go home - didn't want to deal. But rather than make things slick it is coming down such that it is turning to ice just before hitting the ground, so the crystals made for an awesome grippy riding surface. Fun times. Just hope it doesn't change to straight rain before the ride home. That would suck.

Bedwards Of The West
    I've got some pretty bold, conditioned deer also. I make a game of it though... I don't brake when they're in the road, and I see how close I can get. They always move eventually... after staring at you for a minute to figure out if you're real or something. When they finally spring into action, they sometimes peel out for a couple steps on the pavement like a cartoon. It's awesome. I posted on here once about actually touching one with a tire... felt like I won an epic game of tag.

One scary moment was when one that I didn't see behind a bush swung it's head up from the shoulder of the road to see what that sound was (me). Almost hit me with it's head. I literally smelled it's breath. If it was a buck I might have lost an eye

Moose... no thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My bike bell works way better on deer than it does on people.

guy
    The snow started falling an hour or so before the morning commute and we got about 3". Finally some snow!! Unfortunately I am fat-less at the moment so I got my first taste of 35mm studs on fresh snow. It worked fine, but was definitely different than on the fat bike. The only crappy part of the ride was the nasty head wind. It was a steady 25 mph. The forecast warned of gusts up to 50mph, but I don't think it was nearly that bad.

Riding on snow is always a bit of a rush. I often wuss out when it's raining, but snow is actually a motivator for me. Plus, it's my birthday and nothing will stop me from riding on my birthday!

CB of the East
    Happy Birthday fellow Capricorn. Mine was a few days ago. I also rode on my birthday. Not a whole lot since though

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Feel like I might be getting into a grove with the new bike. Getting used to the feel and slowly working the kinks out.