Page 382 of 622 FirstFirst ... 282 332 372 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 392 432 482 ... LastLast
Results 9,526 to 9,550 of 15535
    mtbr member
    Lucked out riding home, the wind started kicking up about 1 mile from the house and it was a tailwind at that. I'm also starting to think I lucked into a good deal with the Nashbar short liners. Riding them for two weeks now, even though I bought them a bit too large in the waist, with the suspenders they are very comfortable and the elastic in the waist keeps them from gaping front or back, but loose enough for comfort. I'm liking this set up enough that I think I'll buy some more in the larger size and keep rocking the suspenders.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Thankfully the foot of snow that we'd been threatened with amounted to basically nothing. So the studs came off of my cruiser, and the bigapples went back on, and today was my first non-studded ride in about 5.5 months. The 29er will stay studded for another week or two, because the trails are still annoyingly snowy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Someone finally sawed that big tree that Id been climbing over all winter with the bike, skis, or snowshoes.
    Maybe if they used a saw instead of a bike, skies, or snowshoes, it would have been cut sooner? Sorry the mind's eye saw this hapless fellow...

Nice pics. Dog is wondering what all the delay is about with that rectangular thing stuck to your face.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    Dragging this Monday morning. Some 'flu-like symptoms' overnight, little sleep, and even a little snow flurry to make things interesting. And my new shoes are amazingly ventelated, and I keep forgetting that, so my toes almost fell off. And the good long tights were in the wash, so the gap between my short socks and the bottoms of my leg warmers only added to the freezing feet situation. It was good for keeping the mind off of my stomach though.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Sorry, Sanath- a thread search says I had you mixed up with sOckeyeus.

We had some beautiful weather towards the end of last week that I hoped would hold out for the weekend, but that didn`t happen. No single digit lows, but the wind came up about the time I woke up Sat afternoon and hasn`t stopped, now chilly with snow flurries. I did a little bit of maint and a few "just to make sure" checks (including the derailler hanger, which was hunky dory) on my bike, then put it through the transformer routine to get it ready for one last brevet. That`s supposed to happen next Sat, but I might end up bugging out of it at the last minute due to sleep issues- some problems going on at work, and my mom has a surgery scheduled for Thur afternoon.

Bedwards, are you back? Hope you had a great vacation!
    Recalculating....

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    This weekend I found a good length of single track leading from my neighborhood through the woods and under the busy street I usually have to cross to get to the lake MUP on my way to work.

There are a few spots where I have to carry my bike over some fallen trees and hop over one creek, but it will make my ride way more interesting.

As soon as I get my new SS spacers for my new (used) wheels I will take this trail on my way to/from work. I currently run a 36x16 for my regular commuting mode, but for this bit of trail I will probably need a 36x20. I have a few cogs and will try to get find the proper gear.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I upload them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I did a short overnight backpacking trip this past weekend. It was an awesome trip, but I was a bit stiff on my way in this morning. The weather is still warm. I almost needed to shower after getting to work this morning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Windy commute. Tailwind pushed me into work this morning and the headwind and crosswind made me pay for the easy morning commute on the way home. 25-35 sustained with 40-50 mph gusts. More of the same tomorrow with a cool down. For the next few days highs in the sixties.

mtbr member
    A good ride in this morning. When I left my house it was 17F and light enough that I only needed my lights on the brief road stretches to alert drivers that I was there. The trails were hard and fast this morning, though I took it slow because it was just so wonderful out. Spent some quality time with the bike this weekend cleaning and tweaking and then getting it dirty again so I ended up with a nice, quiet ride. No brake squeal.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

After fat biking it all winter, 80psi on a track bike is a trip!! I can't wait to try and ride up my hill on the way home. I can always blame the sand for my failure.

mtbr member
    It was in the 40's when I started so I still wore long sleeves but rode in wearing shorts for the first time this year today
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Probably 59F wind was out of the South West. Guranteed to be out of the North West on the way home. :-/

First commute tubeless. So far so good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Windy commute. Tailwind pushed me into work this morning and the headwind and crosswind made me pay for the easy morning commute on the way home. 25-35 sustained with 40-50 mph gusts. More of the same tomorrow with a cool down. For the next few days highs in the sixties.
    Guess I must be a sissy, we're having similar winds down here near the border and I generally avoid riding in them, since I'm very leery of getting blown into traffic. Not that bad about 5-6 miles from work but the 6-7 miles near home I ride along a state hwy that tends to be fairly busy. I used to have a nice alternate route of fire road/dirt road/almost single track, but that land has been bought for some kind of development (assuming it actually happens) and I don't want to trespass.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Looks like I will be rained out for my scheduled Wednesday commute. This has been the worst spring I can remember in a long time. I'm hoping for a somewhat dry and warmer May.

mtbr member
    Wish I carried a camera around like most folks now seem to (my phone doesn't have a camera, I'm not much of a picture taker), yesterday when I got to work there were several nice older mountain bikes locked up on the bike rack including a Haro Flightline, Cannondale 24' 3x6, and a Trek hybrid that was real pretty (and I don't much care for Treks), but the guy with the Haro managed to lock up his bike wrong (so you could have taken everything off his bike except the frame) and in such a way that nobody else could lock up their bikes to the rack, even though there would have been space for 5 more bikes. Wound up having the guy paged so I could lock up and get to work.
    Last edited by junior1210; 04-16-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    A good ride in this morning. When I left my house it was 17F and light enough that I only needed my lights on the brief road stretches to alert drivers that I was there. The trails were hard and fast this morning, though I took it slow because it was just so wonderful out. Spent some quality time with the bike this weekend cleaning and tweaking and then getting it dirty again so I ended up with a nice, quiet ride. No brake squeal.
    YES, I too cleaned the fatbike, felt like it took hours! sub 50 min commute was fast and fun! My ride started at 13F. Can't wait for the 40F ride home!

mtbr member
    Indeed a good one this morning. A bit chilly as Jordy said, but the day is turning into a stunner so far. I love spring.

I dream on two wheels
    Denver doesn't know what to do with its weather. One day its 65*F and Im riding home in shorts, 2 days later its 23*F and there is 8 inches of snow on the ground. Today was the snow part. Last night on the way home I almost had to walk because of a frozen drivetrain.
    Whiskey

passed out in your garden

Re: How was your commute today?

Sunrise on my commute this morning

How was your commute today?-uploadfromtaptalk1366137259441.jpg

My commute today was awesome, faster than expected and great scenery.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    junior, if I had a dangerous situation like you do I'd drive in on windy days too. Nothing "sissy" about staying alive. My route is pretty safe traffic wise and I'm not above rolling down the sidewalk if need be. Plus, at around 200 lbs and with a heavy loaded down Walmart bike (couldn't pass up the $99 price last spring), the wind doesn't push me around too easily.

Another windy one today. But I got the better of the deal today. Good, solid wind blew me into work and another good, solid wind blew me most of the way home. Crosswinds an obvious pain but not as bad as headwinds. Was thrilled at quitting time to see the direction change. Probably 20-25 sustained with 35-40 gusts. Tomorrow morning will be back into the high forties with low sixties for trip home. Desert weather is very erratic in the spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ran about an hour late this morning, almost forgot my clothes, broke out my (winter) mittens at the trail head about 4 miles from home as I thought I was going to freeze the tips of my fingers off. Running late turned out to be a good thing as I also forgot my door fob in my rain jacket, which I left hanging up at the house. It would have rather sucked to have to wait outside for someone else to show up.

mtbr member
    Wind still hard and heavy this morning, not even gonna bother setting my trash can (empty) back up again until it calms down. Looks like a good day to do maint. on the bike.

I Ride for Donuts
    I can count on one hand the number of sick days I've taken in 13 years... yesterday was one of them. Getting across the house was an effort.

Back on the bike this morning...I'd say I'm at 60%...very slow ride in, but it didn't make me worse. I wish I had overdressed...it was freezing (to me in my weakened state). Probably mid to upper 20's in reality.

trying to decide if coffee is a good idea...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I, too, was running late this AM. For some reason slept right through the alarm. Normally I am up and out the house by 6 AM. Today I didn't hit the trails until 6:30. It was still cold, but the sun was out and I actually wore my sunglasses. Spring is definitely here! The trails were fast and firm with some icy spots, particularly at one underpass that is a pond during the afternoon rides. Made good time getting here and quickly found out that I was not the only person running late. I'd say 50% of my cube mates who generally arrive around the same time as I were not here yet. Must be something in the air today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Third windy commute this week and one more windy one tomorrow. About 49 degrees for the ride in with a brutal north headwind (probably close to 25 mph sustained) most of the way. About 64 degrees for the ride in and winds only slightly irritating.

Friday, according to the weatherman, will be nice. What I do like about the wind, I must admit, is the added level of fitness it brings to my ride.