Page 381 of 597 FirstFirst ... 281 331 371 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 391 431 481 ... LastLast
Results 9,501 to 9,525 of 14924
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I had some derailler/chain issues for like three weeks and thought I finally fixed it last week, now not so sure. It wasn`t super bad, just noise in the bigger sprockets and once in a while wanting to ghost shift. Had already done the relube and readjust thing, chain has 500 miles max, so I ordered a new cassette thinking maybe that would fix it. When the cassette came in, I tried one more time with the standard fixes and it was perfect for several days. Last night it started up again. I did nothing to it today, will wait and see if it was just in a snit and will sort itself out. If not, the new cassette will go on and I`ll see how it likes that one.
    Yeah, check the derailleur hanger. Last weekend, I knocked my derailleur on a rock and practically lost shifting in the 3 biggest cogs (chain would skip under load). It's possible your problem could be the cassette though. I've had problems I thought were due to the derailleur hanger that were actually the cassette. In my experience, the cassette related shifting issues are a little more subtle than hanger issues.

I Ride for Donuts
    Brief Delusional Joy, baby.

How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Awful week continues: illness/stomach pain last night, little sleep, missed alarm (hit "dismiss" instead of "snooze", though it did help recover some lost sleep), no food in the house, still raining. Switched to hail halfway to work. Crunchy drivetrain also continues. Still felt funny after a lube last night so I'm not convinced that's the issue either. All I can say at this point is blah. Only one more day of this.

mtbr member
    A cold one this AM. 1 F when I left the house. The trails were still a bit soft and slow in spots and my legs still feel dead. Got to work and was nicely frosted over and a bit cold. I also think I have a loose spoke on the rear. Notice a bit of wobble and when climbing in the lower gears I get more than normal chain rub against the tire. It's kind of creepy watching the rear wheel apparently flexing to the drive side as I hammer the peddles. Need to check that out tonight. I'm also having some issues with shifting in the front der. Might just be grime and moisture in the springs causing it to freeze up, but moving down the small ring requires me to tap the der with my heel. Probably need to check that out too. I love spring - the time of year when all my postponed bike maintenance comes back to haunt me!

I Ride for Donuts
    1*F is NOT spring. That's madness in April

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Awful week continues: illness/stomach pain last night, little sleep, missed alarm (hit "dismiss" instead of "snooze", though it did help recover some lost sleep), no food in the house, still raining. Switched to hail halfway to work. Crunchy drivetrain also continues. Still felt funny after a lube last night so I'm not convinced that's the issue either. All I can say at this point is blah. Only one more day of this.
    Sorry to hear it Sanath. Hang in there it will get better.

RE: crunchy drivetrain, when you get a lot of grit into your chain, it will still be crunchy even after a lube (just less crunchy). When my chain gets really crunchy bad, I pop it off and soak it in a jar of mineral spirits to get all the gunk out of it. When you get your Chain-L, you'll find two things: one is that it has a strong smell and two it is *really* sticky (which is why it lasts so long I think). Because it's so sticky, I always apply it with the chain off the bike by first soaking the chain, drying the chain, applying the Chain-L and then wiping the chain down really good before I reinstall it. If it rains enough that my chain starts to squeak and I don't have time for the full Chain-L routine, I'll wipe the chain down on the bike and then apply my 2nd favorite lube, Dumonde Tech, until I have time for the full Chain-L treatment described above.

Hope you are feeling better.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    It was the coldest 37F I've ever rode in. I had a stiff damp north wind the entire ride in that chilled me to the bone. Hoping for a warmer ride home.

mtbr member
    Sunny and crisp this morning, for a nice ride in. But there's a snowfall warning in effect, calling for up to a foot. Last week they were calling for 6" which didn't really happen, but this is still a really weird april.

I think that this weekend my experiment with dirtdrop bars will be over. After hitting the trails with them all week, my arms and hands have been absolutely killing me. I got them to alleviate a bit of wrist pain, but they've had the opposite effect. They actually are really fun on singletrack, but on the commute they're a little too serious and make my singlespeed feel remarkably un-fun. I took a different bike today which really isn't meant to handle a foot of snow, so I hope that the forecast is right and that it doesn't start falling until later tonight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Another personal record in lateness to my office (1:20 PM) but the day started way better. Took the roads vs. the usual trail route so I could make a few stops on the way, and despite those 2 stops and my leisurely pace I was about 2 minutes faster than my fastest ever trail time.

mtbr member
    Another cold morning. 1F and a bit humid for the temp. Had to go to the main office, so tacked on an additional two miles to the morning commute. Was nicely frosted over when I got there.

I think I've come to realize that there is one thing I really dislike about my Pugs. It seems like if you even look ascance at the rear tire you need to readjust the brakes because they start to squeal. Haven't figured this one out yet. I'd removed the rear wheel last night to clean the der and touch up the spoke tension and now it is squealing like a pig even though before removing the wheel it was perfectly silent. Every. Dang. Time. Annoying.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ I will take it off your hands free if you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ I will take it off your hands free if you want.
    That's mighty thoughtful... but I think I'll be able to see my way past this minor annoyance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    An easy 62 degrees this morning. An easy 82 degrees for the ride home. No wind. It's amazing to me that some of you are still commuting in snow. Very different commuting worlds I guess. Coldest ride in this week was an abnormal 46 degrees on Wednesday. The coldest it got in Vegas all winter was on two consecutive days the morning lows in January were 23 and 25 degrees. My coldest ride home all winter (at 3 p.m. in the afternoon) was 43 degrees in December. Coldest ride in was 29 degrees. Chickened out on the two mornings it was in the low twenties and took the Jeep to work. Worried about getting a flat and being stuck in the cold, etc. I don't really have cold weather riding clothes.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Another cold morning. 1F and a bit humid for the temp. Had to go to the main office, so tacked on an additional two miles to the morning commute. Was nicely frosted over when I got there.

I think I've come to realize that there is one thing I really dislike about my Pugs. It seems like if you even look ascance at the rear tire you need to readjust the brakes because they start to squeal. Haven't figured this one out yet. I'd removed the rear wheel last night to clean the der and touch up the spoke tension and now it is squealing like a pig even though before removing the wheel it was perfectly silent. Every. Dang. Time. Annoying.
    What about using monkey nuts to set the position?

mtbr member
    I've been toying with that idea, Jordy. Seems like it might just solve the issue. You know of anywhere in town that has them in stock or do I need to order them?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    You'd have to call around, isn't there a new stocking Surly dealer of 68th and Lake O?

weirdo
    Picked up my wife from the airport today, bachelor life is over again. Sigh... I did manage to get through 5 family sized Papa Murphys pizzas in two weeks, so it didn`t go to waste. Two days in a row with hardly any wind- hope it holds for the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Another personal record in lateness to my office (1:20 PM) but the day started way better.
    Well, that`s something- couldn`t keep going the way it was. You have a stork delivery on the way, don`t you? Rest up now!
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I think that this weekend my experiment with dirtdrop bars will be over. After hitting the trails with them all week, my arms and hands have been absolutely killing me. I got them to alleviate a bit of wrist pain, but they've had the opposite effect.
    Aw, bummer! Finding the right personal combos for bike set up is no easy task. Have you gone the bar ends route yet? Maybe that would be the ticket for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    It's amazing to me that some of you are still commuting in snow. Very different commuting worlds I guess.

I don't really have cold weather riding clothes.
    +1. Half the time I feel guilty, half the time I`m green with envy.
    No cold weather gear, and I bet you don`t have much more in the line of rain gear than I do
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I felt lazy coming in to work Thursday night so I tool the cage. Started to feel guilty so on first break I went home and rode back. Then I rode home in the am. Then I rode back to work Friday night. Checked my Endomondo and saw that I had logged 3 rides for Friday. Only 23 miles but my legs are feeling it nonetheless. Now I get to ride back home this morning I do a seven mile trip to work but hit a nine mile ride home. Glad I will be off for the next few days. I also upgraded my XT Shadow RD to the new XT clutched shadow RD. I will update the difference after some more miles on it to see how different it works.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Aw, bummer! Finding the right personal combos for bike set up is no easy task. Have you gone the bar ends route yet? Maybe that would be the ticket for you.
    I've had a Carnegie alt-bar on that bike for several years now, and have actually been pretty happy. But dirtdrops were something that I was always going to have to try - even if just as a brief, $50 experiment - and my springtime switch from geared back to ss was the perfect excuse. But the carnegie will be going back on.

mtbr member
    Perfectly normal ride into work, and for the first time I was glad to leave late, since it warmed up to 62*-63* for the ride home. Post ride check had me put air in my rear tire (almost 5#) for the first time since maybe Sept. or Oct.

Seriously thinking about buying a new frame, but bouncing between what I want (or weather I need it at all). Singular has some real pretty bikes, and I still love looking at Surly's Ogre, the Fargo is always lurking in the back of my mind, and saw a 2011 Kona Sutra frame and fork on E-bay for $200 and would have grabbed it of not for having to pay taxes .
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Seriously thinking about buying a new frame, but bouncing between what I want (or weather I need it at all).
    Don't forget to take a look at On One. I'd been pining away for a Soma or Surly for a long time, but couldn't justify replacing my perfectly good (but boring) frame. But the On One frames are inexpensive enough that it didn't even need justifying, so I just went for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Rodar, no rain clothes either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The park I found has about a half mile or so of dirt paths going around farm fields, butting right up to the river there. Nice area, good place to get the bike a little dirty and break up the commute a bit.

How was your commute today?-0413031752.jpg

All in all a good commute today, breezed past people stuck in cars because of a street fair.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well, that`s something- couldn`t keep going the way it was. You have a stork delivery on the way, don`t you? Rest up now!
    Nope, I got fixed a while ago, no (more) storks for me. The little one did just turn 8 this weekend though.

Moderator Moderator
    Quite dull, as I drove. But I got in a nice fatbike ride before work with my speedy dogsitting charge, Spirit. Conditions were great due to a hard freeze (25F) last night. Someone finally sawed that big tree that Id been climbing over all winter with the bike, skis, or snowshoes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1010425.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1010430.jpg