Page 379 of 597 FirstFirst ... 279 329 369 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 389 429 479 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,475 of 14907
    Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Thanks for the reminder to click on Bedwards' guest bike link - ha! That looks pretty uncomfortable to ride that far. The 1st pic is a great Craigslist lesson, they always look so nice from afar...

Sounds like a good ride Brian, and yours sounded good too for a while there Rodar.

The ride home was good, 10 minutes slower than the cross bike, mostly because I could ride a comfy speed instead of a too-fast standing speed, but also because that was a killer tailwind that day. Still about 15 mins faster than the studded snows.

Vegascruiser, the pants story was a classic There is yet another use for duct tape.
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 04-06-2013 at 03:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Keep on working at it, Brian! Glad you`re making progress ... I finished about a minute and a half slow- finally realized I had changed tires and didn`t recalibrate the speedometer, haha!
    Yeah. I used to time only the part of my rides after the warm up laps in the neighborhood to the cool down, subtracting seconds sitting at stops and use the corrected car odometer reading which matched Mapquest distances well. Now the computer averages it all in (unless I stop and save, not a safe thing to do at that place). The computer counts the slow roll up hoping the light will change, or traffic will let me roll the stop. So 16 mph might be more like 15.5 judging by the speed curves and my previous 16.5-17 may be more like 16-16.5. So I may be closer to being back than those numbers say.

I was trying to do the ride bys for the camera at certain speeds but it is clear that as I am coasting by on the level at 15.7 mph, then I am doing 16.5 about 20 feet further on. Either I am telekinetic or the iBike takes three or more readings before it changes the speed reading. I think I'd climb hills faster if I was telekinetic.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    First ride of the year where ive managed to get to work warm looks like spring is finally coming looking forward to getting back on the trails

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Take the long way home

Today was a bit cool, but was the first ride of my completed Cross Check. Put in 20ish miles after work, and it rides like a charm.

How was your commute today?-0406031823.jpg

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ OOh nice.

I'm fresh off of spring break... actually woke up early enough to take the long way. We'll see how long that lasts

Nice week "off" working on projects around the house. I got a few rides in also. One in particular that I'm still feeling was a 19 mile suffer fest on the rigid singlespeed. I think that's the farthest I've ever ridden a singlespeed. I gotta say, the singlespeed part wasn't nearly as bad as the rigid part
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Happy spring time, Ton-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Today was a bit cool, but was the first ride of my completed Cross Check. Put in 20ish miles after work, and it rides like a charm.
    Ah- last week you mentioned a new bike, but I didn`t know what it was. Looks pretty sweet! You ordered the frame bag for it, or already had that?

Welcome back, CB. No snow? We have a dusting this morning. Wind`s been blowing hard for days. Back on graveyard for me starting tonight.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Was doing about 15.5 average then the chain came apart (jammed in the rear derailer cage) 1/4 mile before my usual 30 mph downhill and 1.5 from home. Boss was home so I did not need to walk. I am counting this as another 0.5 mph and at a lower heart rate. I was getting some auto shifting as the plate on the inside came off its pin. All that hard acceleration with the rim tape videos, I guess.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Welcome back, CB. No snow? We have a dusting this morning. Wind`s been blowing hard for days. Back on graveyard for me starting tonight.
    Strangely, no. We got some hard rain yesterday, looked like it would turn to snow as the temp dropped... my house was basically ON the snowline last night... the tips of the trees were snowy this morning but the ground wasn't. Everything above the valley floor got a dusting. Roads were wet/drying out, wind was ripping this morning.

Moderator Moderator
    Pretty uneventful today. Left early enough to battle some wind and still have time for a shower. My boss car died last week and hes been relying on carpooling, but today he said I dont know how you do it, as he was considering riding his bike in but changed his mind when it was only 35F, Im not riding in that!

mtbr member
    Know the feeling about wind. Last night I rode in real fast for no other reason than I could. Coming home this morning Ma Nature got her revenge with gusting not-quite-headwinds (wind was on a diagonal call it 80% headwind) that kept trying to blow me into the traffic lane during morning rush hour traffic. Had to drop 2 gears just to keep it moving. I have a nice downhill coast about 2 miles from home I can get up to @35 MPH if I spin out top gear, I caught a gust that made me have to pedal downhill just to maintain speed. The worst part was I had to adjust the rack on the back of my seat, and when I went to tighten everything back up, I inadvertently moved my seat back almost 2 inches and didn't notice. So when pedaling home in that awful wind I just couldn't get comfortable on the seat til I looked at my shadow and saw how out of line my posture was.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    My boss car died last week and hes been relying on carpooling, but today he said I dont know how you do it, as he was considering riding his bike in but changed his mind when it was only 35F, Im not riding in that!
    But if he was considering it, good on him. I shudder at the thought of my boss`s heart rate graph if he sould ever decide to ride to work!

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    We got some hard rain yesterday, looked like it would turn to snow as the temp dropped...
    I went out for a joy ride Sat, trying out some dirt "short cuts" between 70 (Delleker-ish) and 89 (Clio). It had obviously rained the day before and the surface conditions were killer. Heavilly forested too, which kept me out of the wind for the most part. Will make some nice options in the future for any kind of Lake Davis or Gold Lakes loops.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    A bit of a slog this morning. 6F when I left the house and just not feeling it. I put in a nice ~2 hour ride Saturday night (write up here: Sometimes Perfection in Alaska is Almost Attainable (Long and no pictures...)) and that may be why the commute felt a bit blah...

Trails were okay for the most part. Some overflow in the swamp, but not too back. Some of the underpasses were also a bit slick. Weather is forecast for another big snow storm today into tomorrow. Good times.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Was doing about 15.5 average then the chain came apart (jammed in the rear derailer cage) 1/4 mile before my usual 30 mph downhill and 1.5 from home. Boss was home so I did not need to walk. I am counting this as another 0.5 mph and at a lower heart rate. I was getting some auto shifting as the plate on the inside came off its pin. All that hard acceleration with the rim tape videos, I guess.

BrianMc
    Had the same thing happened to me on a nice trail ride this weekend. Had a little bit of auto shifting as well, and thought I just needed to adjust the front gears. Inside plate came came off as well during a moderate climb.

My better half was not home, and probably could not find me even if she was. I had a nice 4 mile walk out with my bike. Lucky for me it still rolled.

Now I've included a chain-break tool, power link and some extra chain links in my pack.

I'm glad your better half was home to come get you.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    More snow and colder (-9C)....10 to 15 cm of xnow to come on the weekend...

I don't care I will be sailing in Hawaii.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Jealous. Do you sail, or are you hitching a ride? I have a Hobie 16. Good fun.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ^^ Jealous. Do you sail, or are you hitching a ride? I have a Hobie 16. Good fun.
    Bare Boat Charter (Usail) Beneteau 42.5 First.

Honolulu across the Kaiwa channel to Molokai then maybe a night off Maui, around Molokai and back to Honolulu in 7 days.

Looks like the wind and waves will cooperate.

National Weather Service Forecast Office - WFO Honolulu, Hawaii - Marine Weather Graphical Forecast
    Last edited by jeffscott; 04-08-2013 at 09:47 AM.

I Ride for Donuts
    That will be awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That will be awesome.
    The smaller boats take more skill to sail than the big boats....well unless you are out in a storm or something.

All the kids learned to sail on Lasers.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have had a Laser. Constant stream of sailboats growing up...Flying Dutchman, International 14, Thistle, Olson 30, Star, Coronado, Hobies, Catalinas... Dozens of others. Dad currently has a Soling 27. He goes through boats like I go through bikes

The smaller boats definitely improve your skill...especially on lakes with shifty wind. A big boat on a calm ocean with wind that always blows the same direction is a vacation Keeping one hull of the Hobie out of the water on the lake is work.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Anchorage got 10+ inches of snow on Saturday, enough to close our main highway.

Snowing again as I type, LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's almost too hot here. This morning was 56F! Temps are in the low 70s today and will be in the 80s the next couple days. It's like someone flipped the Spring switch or something.

P.S. Go Cards!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Rodar: I picked up the bag about a week after I first put the bike together. My messenger bag and backpack were bothering my separated shoulder. Feeling much better now, though, as I can actually torque crank bolts.

Today's commute was great. Cool 50ish this morning, mid 60's on the way home. Made great time, even had time to check out a park I've been passing for the past few months. Gonna do some more exploring there another day, seems to be at least a few acres of (swampy) land.

mtbr member
    Epic rain dump on me riding home. Recently purchased cheap "waterproof" pants turn out not to be at all whats-so-ever waterproof or even resistant. More like a sponge.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Not so awesome to be Spongepants SquareBob.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have left my MTB in the UK for the time being, i now live in the Netherlands and my commute is approx 5miles a day. I have a 3 speed rigid bike with a coaster rear brake. I miss the bells and whistles of the MTB but the sheer rugged simplicity of a Dutch cargo bike does make up for it a little.

Brake is a little different to the twin hydraulic discs of the MTB though!! I only use the car now if i am going more than 30 miles (round trip).