Page 379 of 418 FirstFirst ... 279329369375376377378379380381382383389 ... LastLast
Results 18,901 to 18,950 of 20857
    Moderator Moderator
    Still mild here, opted for knickers and kneesocks this morning, and by the time I got to work, the kneesocks were pushed down to my ankles as I was too hot.

This evening I worked late, and decided try to get home earlier by taking the bus after riding a couple miles. The bus did come on time, and proceeded to blow right past me as I gesticulated wildly. I am pretty sure that at least 1/2 of bus-driver 101 is stopping for passengers - otherwise you are just a vehicle driving back and forth between 2 towns. I called it in, but even the dispatcher was gone, so I left a message of complaint. I pedaled some more but stopped at another bus stop after a bus on the opposite loop passed. This part was my fault and made me madder. That bus did not come back around, it went home, as the schedule changes from every 30 minutes to 1 hour on the last bus. Left my taillight blinking to discourage blow-bys, and finally the bus arrived - and stopped. I nearly could have walked home faster. I asked the driver what the discount was for the bus blowing by, and he offered no apologies, just told me to leave the lights on if I wanted to get picked up. I suggested that it IS a bus STOP and that perhaps if the bus was not going 45 mph by the stop that it might help. He suggested that it was dark. Egad, I wish I had just kept pedaling home, I would have got here about 45 minutes earlier.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I got drenched. Soaked to the bone. Windy, raining, blowing mist...horrible. Got caught without my rain jacket on as well so that sucked. Shoes are still really wet. Temps were nice until the wind picked up and the rain came. They quickly dropped 10 within 30 minutes. Made good tip money so it was alright. Ride home was windy but starting to dry up. First commute with the drops on and it was alright. Wrap job needs to be redone. I feel like I short sheeted the bed with how much exposed bar I have. Will rectify that tomorrow hopefully.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 2913/6000

mtbr member
    In the car yesterday as my good lady was unwell and I had to drop the kids at school. I know driving them sounds bad but it's 3 miles of unlit country roads. I wouldnt send them walking or riding along them. Thought I'd get some xmas parcel distribution done since I had the space.

Back on the bike today. The university cut the hedges at some point over the last few days with a tractor mounted flail and not cleared up yet. I get that its quicker etc to use machines but when it's a Hawthorne hedge next to a cycle path they need to do that immediately. Good test for the Marathon Pluses I guess.

Further along I got caught in traffic; oh the horror! Roads up and they're filtering traffic each way with lights. been there for a week or two, I usually wait my turn and it's not so bad. Lights were failed today showing constant red both directions. Once I realised the issue I jumped the queue and went past. Lots of frustrated motorists in both directions.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Another crap day. Windy cold and rainy, now I know what you guys feel like in the PNW here we get snow which isn't really that bad since you do not really get wet.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Tenspeed - Just curious. What do you deliver? You've probably said in the past but I didn't see or catch it

This mornings commute was brisk at 34F. I knew it was gonna drop down in temps yesterday so dropped by the store and picked up some new Mechanix gloves. Not cycling gloves but needed something cheap to get by to keep my digits warm. My old gloves have holes in the thumbs which can get uncomfortably numb when the temps get down into the 30s.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Fil View Post
    Tenspeed - Just curious. What do you deliver? You've probably said in the past but I didn't see or catch it

This mornings commute was brisk at 34F. I knew it was gonna drop down in temps yesterday so dropped by the store and picked up some new Mechanix gloves. Not cycling gloves but needed something cheap to get by to keep my digits warm. My old gloves have holes in the thumbs which can get uncomfortably numb when the temps get down into the 30s.
    Lunch time delivery for Jimmy John's. We do a heck of a business, especially on bike. There are 4 of us, now down to 3 as one guy simply can't do the whole rule #9 thing. From what I understand, we are one of the top 5 busiest corporate stores in the country. Last week in a 3 hour period, there were 115 deliveries from 11 am to 2 pm. 56 of those were done by 3 of us on bike. The rest was split between 6 drivers I believe.

No commute for me today. Gonna take the car to work. Filled up Sunday night for the first time since November 2nd. I think I drove it once to work if I remember correctly. Legs are really feeling these miles lately and could use a break.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ...I am pretty sure that at least 1/2 of bus-driver 101 is stopping for passengers - otherwise you are just a vehicle driving back and forth between 2 towns.
    Nice!

Rainy commute in today. I got to tryout a recent roadside find. Waterproof gloves that work. Turns out they were $50 gloves! More here if interested.
    The Candid Cyclist: Eurika: Waterproof Gloves That Work It's supposed to clear off nicely this afternoon. Crazy December weather.

mtbr member
    Yesterday morning we had a glimpse of winter: -05C/31F :8 Luckily temps went up to 4C/40F today and are supposed to rise further to 10C/50F on Friday. On the way home yesterday I picked up a new battery for my speedometer. Today pretty uneventful commute. Unfortunately it was very cloudy the last days, no sign of meteorites although a lot of them should be visible these days.

I will have to drive tomorrow, will hopefully ride on Thursday and Friday. The last weeks somehow I have been a bit sloppy, the last three weeks I rode only 3 out of five days....

Bedwards Of The West
    MTBX, you should teach bus driver school. The way you explain it, I totally understand. Way to put the cookies on the bottom shelf.

Internet issues yesterday, so I couldn't upload pics. A couple of GoPro gems from the commute yesterday:

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-12-14-9.23.43-am.jpg

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-12-14-11.32.39-am.jpg

First flat tire in a long time on the commute today. Back to the unstudded wheelset for the ride this morning, and something that had been plugging its own hole worked its way out.. too big for the sealant to catch it. I had to break out the pump and air it up a bit, then do the finger plug thing to help the sealant out. Rushed it... when I aired back up it started leaking again, but slower... I rolled the dice and started riding. It leaked down some more but then plugged itself and I just tolerated the bouncy ride the rest of the way in. Can't remember the last time I had to do that in sub-freezing temps. Not very fun.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Got passed by what I assume was an e-bike doing mid-20+ in a stiff wind with a 60-70 cadence. Barely slowed down ascending a steep overpass and was eventually out of sight.

I'm guessing the guy is out there often but I hadn't seen him before today, probably because I was running late.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Lunch time delivery for Jimmy John's. We do a heck of a business, especially on bike. There are 4 of us, now down to 3 as one guy simply can't do the whole rule #9 thing. From what I understand, we are one of the top 5 busiest corporate stores in the country. Last week in a 3 hour period, there were 115 deliveries from 11 am to 2 pm. 56 of those were done by 3 of us on bike. The rest was split between 6 drivers I believe.

No commute for me today. Gonna take the car to work. Filled up Sunday night for the first time since November 2nd. I think I drove it once to work if I remember correctly. Legs are really feeling these miles lately and could use a break.
    Cool, i had to look it up as I'd never heard of Jimmy John's before. LOL apparently there is one in my city. Must be new to our area so i'm gonna have to check it out now. Somehow I have a feeling they don't do bike deliveries though.

mtbr member
    Cool, i had to look it up as I'd never heard of Jimmy John's before. LOL apparently there is one in my city. Must be new to our area so i'm gonna have to check it out now. Somehow I have a feeling they don't do bike deliveries though.
    Get the "gargantuan" with bacon if you're feeling froggy! I usually take a nap after one of those.

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

Moderator Moderator
    Great pix CB, we are still mild and missing the snow here in VT. Rain off and on all day. Bedwards, those gloves look bada**, like you're a commercial fisherman or sardine packer, that should keep drivers in line! No response yet to my bus complaint I called in after the bus blew by last night. Thanks for the responses, I will definitely use the busdriver 101 line when I get ahold of them (I am pretty sure that at least 1/2 of bus-driver 101 is stopping for passengers - otherwise you are just a vehicle driving back and forth between 2 towns).

weirdo
    I suggested that it IS a bus STOP and that perhaps if the bus was not going 45 mph by the stop that it might help.

Still mild here, opted for knickers and kneesocks this morning, and by the time I got to work, the kneesocks were pushed down to my ankles as I was too hot.
    Did you find knickers as such, or make "extended cuttoffs"?

Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    The university cut the hedges at some point over the last few days with a tractor mounted flail and not cleared up yet. I get that its quicker etc to use machines but when it's a Hawthorne hedge next to a cycle path they need to do that immediately. Good test for the Marathon Pluses I guess.
    No report of flats, must have gotten off okay?

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Internet issues yesterday, so I couldn't upload pics. A couple of GoPro gems from the commute yesterday:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 9.23.43 AM.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	1035796
    Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Back to the unstudded wheelset for the ride this morning, and something that had been plugging its own hole worked its way out.. too big for the sealant to catch it.
    "Too big" = "exceeds 1cm x 3 cm". Keep it in mind!
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Just plain gloomy, grey day. I finally did mount up my studs last night. They came in handy for a few blocks worth of shaded streets, but most of my route is sun melted. Not sure if I`ll leave them on or switch back. Can`t say for sure, but I don`t think I ever studded myself up last year. A few pics, mis-set camera makes me look fast
    Also might as well throw in a shot of my new-this-year polyester lawn. Never needs mowing (or ironing), equally at home with snow and ice as Blokphi`s beard is.
    How was your commute today?-pc153158.jpgHow was your commute today?-pc153161.jpgHow was your commute today?-pc123155.jpg

Got a new home computer about a month ago. Surfing the internet is an absolute joy- doesn`t choke on videos, works on every page right away, never tells me "Don`t feel like it, try again tomorrow". Unfortunately, everything picture related is mega frustrating. No, GIGA frustrating and approaching TERA frustration. Had a heck of a time geting pictrues uploaded from my camera, finally found a way to resize, then could never get the resized file to copy, having zero luck in moving images from my old computer. I have to keep the old computer set up in the back room for pictures and teh new one gets spread out or stacked up on the kitchen table depending on whether we`re eating or surfing. Sigh... I`m about ready to break down and pay a professional geek from CL to come out and "learn" me a bit.
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    I would like to suggest the #5 with the hot peppers. They make good sandwiches and they are freaky fast, even if you stop in shop. They try to get you out in under 4 minutes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    No report of flats, must have gotten off okay?
    I believe I have, thanks for asking

I know we're only a week away from the winter solstice (get ready for the naked druids dancing around the standing stones) but there was a really odd half light this morning where nothing quite has it's true colour. Other than that it was wet and warm 13C/55F

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Also might as well throw in a shot of my new-this-year polyester lawn. Never needs mowing (or ironing), equally at home with snow and ice as Blokphi`s beard is.

Unfortunately, everything picture related is mega frustrating. No, GIGA frustrating and approaching TERA frustration. Had a heck of a time geting pictrues uploaded from my camera, finally found a way to resize, then could never get the resized file to copy, having zero luck in moving images from my old computer. I have to keep the old computer set up in the back room for pictures and teh new one gets spread out or stacked up on the kitchen table depending on whether we`re eating or surfing. Sigh... I`m about ready to break down and pay a professional geek from CL to come out and "learn" me a bit.
    You could try youtube first, this clip is how I do it (though I don't know for sure if windows live photo gallery is still something they put on newer computers than mine). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3YSHdpriBQ

Great to see your snow and your lawn, both helpful to the water situation out there!

My knickers came short, kind of like these Prana Nemesis Knicker - Men's - Hiking Pants - Men's Pants - Men's :: CampSaver.com, but the cutoffs would work as well.

mtbr member
    Interesting cultural difference; those knickers, we Brits would call 3/4 length shorts, Knickers are ladies underwear

But then you call trousers, pants; to us pants are mens underwear

weirdo
    Ah. That helps to explain "got your knickers in a wad" and "Boy you`ve been a naughty girl you, let your knickers down". I suppose it would also make MtbX`s ride to work in knickers and knee socks quite risque!

Thanks, Xplorer. I`ve been through quite a few Googled solutions but had not yet tried any YouTube lessons- will watch that and try when I get a chance.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Today was bike commute number 200 for the year. My original goal was anything over 100. Seriously considering selling my car sometime early in the new year.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I would call today lucky. As I got in to work the sky started to fall with rain along with thunder/lightening, then it turned to ice pellets.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    I don't even know the last time I rode to work (definitely skipped some nice days that I *should* have), but I did today. Felt good. My drop bar 26er conversion is starting to feel a bit sluggish though. Wonder if I could make a road triple work on it? (Currently running a 104bcd crank with shimano hybrid chainrings - think the big is a 48). I've been thinking about converting it to 9 speed over christmas break, I just switched my fat bike to 10 speed so I could have a clutch, got some parts kicking around.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    By the beard of blockphi!

I think that should be the new rallying call for winter cyclists everywhere...

Topped 5K miles this AM. Nice, nice. Feeling pretty good on the ride today. Legs a bit sore, but after three days straight of 16 hours each spent in an office chair staring at a computer screen grading final projects for my three classes, it felt really good to be back in the saddle and commuting to the full time job.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^

and congrats.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    First full on winter ride

6 inches fresh snow on top of ****ty ice....salt, gravel, carsnot...pissy drivers...

-10C no wind..

Cleaned it no dabs.

El Nino can only hold off winter for so long.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Great ride in minus the wind.

Great deliveries right out of the gate.

Then the Honda CRV pulled out in front of me in the alley. I managed to stop the bike, but not my body. Bike went down after I unclipped, and I did a full barrel roll over the hood. My shoulder came down on the hood, and in one swift motion, I flipped over and landed on my feet. I walked away with no scratches, no bumps, no dings, all my limbs and not a pain in my body. His hood is jacked. The driver tried to extort money from me saying I would have to pay to fix it. I hit his car, but only because he pulled out blindly and never saw me. Cops came, police report filed, and neither of us were found to be at fault. There was a secondary witness and he was smack dab right there. He was a soft drink delivery guy and was motioning for me to veer right, because as I saw, he was blocking the side of the alley and there was no room for me to go around. In reality, he was motioning that there was a car coming out. The driver didn't see him I don't think. The cop was super cool and I think the he knew exactly what happened and cut the driver a break since I was perfectly fine and the only thing wrong with my bike is a minor tear in the bar tape that I just rewrapped last night.

The rest of the day was fine. Got back to the store and immediately got back on the bike and rode hard. Managers checked with me, made sure I was alright. I never hit my head or any other part of my body except my shoulder on that hood. Manager gave me a sweet run with a huge tip to get me back in the game. Gotta get right back on and ride and not think about what happened or could have happened. Just have to ride. I will be avoiding that alley from now on. It is a nice short cut back to the store but it poses risks and I found out what those were today.

TL;DR - car pulled out in front of me, I hit the car and walked away like a boss.

Bedwards Of The West
    Dang! Glad you're OK.

So it was sorta like this?

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ nailed it!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Ten Speed,

Looks like you have some cat like reflexes. Glad it all worked out at the end and you were able to continue.

As for me I rode 5 of the 8 miles to work this morning at 5am before this happened.

This was on the rear tire. Managed to apply the brakes and pull over. Tried to put another tube in and blew out within 0.5miles then I noticed the gash on the tire. 2nd tube probably blew as the tube herniated out the tire? I ended up calling the wife and she picked me up. Didn't want to leave the bike and walk to work. Sketchy area.

What would be the cause of this. Too much PSI? Tire is rated 30-55psi and I was at 53psi as I checked it the night before with digital gauge.
    2013 Trek 820
    2016 Trek Marlin 6

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Day before yesterday at work I got called to one of the windows to look outside as someone excitedly explained that they saw a tow truck driver smack the crap outta some bike dude who was now seated in the median with his bike. Another coworker said they saw the tow truck driver but weren't sure if he was helping the guy or smacking him around. A third co-worker went out to assist the messenger and I called 911.

The messenger initially told my coworker that someone cut him off then two guys beat him up. His memory faded after that because when the cops came moments later, he couldn't recall exactly what happened. He complained of being dizzy and almost fell over. Whoever, whatever hit him did a number on the side of his head as he was bleeding from a pretty nasty gash. My coworker called his service to let them know what his situation was.

Glad he was at least somewhat ambulatory.

No clue what really happened but it is never cool seeing a biker injured.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Interesting cultural difference; those knickers, we Brits would call 3/4 length shorts, Knickers are ladies underwear

But then you call trousers, pants; to us pants are mens underwear
    I don't believe I have ever had the occasion to use this:

Talentless Hack
    The sidewall let go on the back tire Tuesday night.

It was at about 85 PSI, so everyone within a 500 m radius got audible notice of my flat.

GP4000s that started life on my road bike, and at 12,000 km+ didn't owe me a thing. Being 2km from home I just rode the flat out.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Don't you hate it when drivers slow down behind you as you approach a parked car? Then at the last moment they speed up and force you to stop at the bumper of the parked car. Today I had that situation on a dark rainy morning with a giant, open-wheel, double trailer, tanker truck. I blinked first, he won, I'm alive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Glad you ninja'd out of that OK tenspeed.

Commute this morning was warmer than expected at 41f and calm. Saw a lot more people out walking, running, and riding at 5:30am than usual.

mtbr member
    TenSpeed, you're a legend. Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM310 View Post
    Ten Speed,

What would be the cause of this. Too much PSI? Tire is rated 30-55psi and I was at 53psi as I checked it the night before with digital gauge.
    That's pretty terminal. I'b be surprised if it was a pressure issue. Probably some prior damage there somewhere

I don't believe I have ever had the occasion to use this:
    you're so pretty

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    The sidewall let go on the back tire Tuesday night.

It was at about 85 PSI, so everyone within a 500 m radius got audible notice of my flat.

GP4000s that started life on my road bike, and at 12,000 km+ didn't owe me a thing. Being 2km from home I just rode the flat out.
    There's a bit of that going round ^^ Thats damn good distance though!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Don't you hate it when drivers slow down behind you as you approach a parked car? Then at the last moment they speed up and force you to stop at the bumper of the parked car. Today I had that situation on a dark rainy morning with a giant, open-wheel, double trailer, tanker truck. I blinked first, he won, I'm alive.
    Absolutely. Some fights you can win but discretion is always the better part of valour in these circumstances. You'll show him next time!

13C or so again this am, great cloud colours from the rising sun, couldnt find anywhere suitable to get a pic tho'

weirdo
    Wild, TenSpeed! Hmmm... and it seems like you`re looking good to meet your 5K goal (no jinx intended).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM310 View Post
    I agree with SlipSpace. Doubt it was from too much pressure, though high pressure might have contributed to turning an already bad thing worse. "Bad thing" being a hard impact with a sharp piece of steel. Cattle guard or storm grating, maybe?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Oh it was a fun one this AM. At least for the first mile. Winds from the NE at 32mph with gusts to 48. The final two miles were dang quick, though, with the wind to my back. Well past spun out on 44X11. Good times.

Beyond that, it was uneventful and downright boring, which, judging by the recents posts, is a bit of a rarity, but one I'll gladly take.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I need to up the obnoxiousness level of my lighting. I'm starting to see problem spots on my new commute, most notably people not stopping when making a right turn on red when I cross the intersection. I had a person cut me off yesterday and another person almost cut me off today at the same spot. My commute doesn't see such heavy traffic, but drivers are a bit more chaotic than on my old commute.

Bedwards Of The West
    Rode home in the dark last night... some redneck decided to roll down the window and scream the N word at me. Bizarre. I was waiting for a beer can or something to come flying out of the window, but I just got the audio treatment. Way more traffic than a normal night ride for some reason. It's usually so peaceful out there.
    Another dude pulled down to the end of a driveway and left me plenty of room to pass by the front of the truck in the small bike lane... but then at the last possible moment he gunned it out into the road to make his left turn. So weird. He must have misjudged my speed/been confused by my headlight...something. It was like he was trying to make me hit him. I got on the brakes hard and avoided contact, but it was close. I had a slight tailwind and was doing better than 20, so it was probably a misjudged-the-cyclist-speed issue.
    By the time I hit my quiet backroad, I was ready for those last 3 miles of peace. Then I almost hit a deer.
    Just a weird ride home altogether.

We got a dusting of snow last night, but it didn't rain first, so it was a blowing film of powdered sugar on the roads. Looked like wind on the tundra when a car would go by. I made a good choice with no studs, and had no traction issues.

mtbr member
    Whoa what you guys all seem to experience along the way.....glad that you landed safely TenSpeed!

My rides today were pretty boring. No ripped tires, no crashes, no deers or whatever... and 12C/55F the entire day!! This morning I stopped twice, took the gloves off first, later the helmet cover too and opened the jacket a bit. Like this the heat was bearable.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Thanks for the words everyone they are appreciated. Everything feeling good here, in fact, never felt better. Cold ride in to deliver today but it was fine. A few flurries in fact, but other than that, fairly uneventful. I rode a little more safe than I usually do just because of the incident yesterday. Great tips and a very cold ride home with the temperature dropping 7 from start to end. Snow is in the forecast for tomorrow, and I am on the schedule to deliver. We will see what happens.

And no jinx intended, but I will be making those miles this year.

NDD
    Baby boy
    The ride home today was my first fixed gear ride. The parts came into the shop and I went there after getting done with some business at the university early and meeting a friend for lunch. It's weird, but I still have my brakes on, so it went well. It's somewhat too easy to get ahead of yourself when you have to pedal. Upped the gear ratio from 39/16 to 52/20 fixed and 52/18 free. I'm pretty happy with it.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    The ride home today was my first fixed gear ride. The parts came into the shop and I went there after getting done with some business at the university early and meeting a friend for lunch. It's weird, but I still have my brakes on, so it went well. It's somewhat too easy to get ahead of yourself when you have to pedal. Upped the gear ratio from 39/16 to 52/20 fixed and 52/18 free. I'm pretty happy with it.
    What bike is this on? It's quite alright to have brakes on it, heck I have a front one on my track bike. How did you like the connection with the bike?

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    What bike is this on? It's quite alright to have brakes on it, heck I have a front one on my track bike. How did you like the connection with the bike?
    It's on a 1977 Schiwnn Super Le Tour that I converted from 27" wheels with a geared freewheel to 700c with a flip flop rear wheel for fixed/free, but have only had freewheels on it. All city track cog gets the job done.

I like it alright and I have no intention of taking the brakes off ever, because I need them now and there's never a good reason to not have a fail safe. I'd like to try fixed and clipped in, though. Just had my usual hiking boots on today. I feel like the ride is real smooth and acceleration is good. I'm into that.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Thankfully, mine was not as weird as some of yours', but I did notice the additional traffic, a combined effect of Xmas shoppers and attending a training that was an hour earlier than my usual 9-5:30 schedule. If you have any flexibility to shift your hours out of the max traffic rush hour, I highly recommend it. Still mild, around freezing this a.m., and raining this p.m.

mtbr member
    Dang TenSpeed glad you're ok, the only thing that would have made that any cooler is if you slid across the hood Dukes of Hazzard style
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Was below freezing in Vegas this morning BRRRR happens just a few times every year.

2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    First truly cold ride today. Was 38F heading in to work, expecting 25F for the ride home. Testing out my new windblock pants from ATD. Wore them with only my shorts underneath, they did a good job. Only complaint is the cut is TALL even though I purchased them from the BIG link.

Had a car start to pull out on me at a 4-way when I was about halfway through the intersection. Must have missed the 2200lm I was putting down on the road in front of her and the 1200lm from my helmet light when I looked at her approaching vehicle. Twice.

As promised, I took pictures Wednesday morning of the adventurous gate bypass I take.

Approach:
    How was your commute today?-gateapproach.jpg

Meant to get an image of the road dropping off, forgot. Here's most of the bypass:
    How was your commute today?-gatebypass.jpg

And the offending tree. Combination of fence post to the left, followed immediately by a tall rock smack in the middle right where that tree is to the right. I roll the wheel to the right of the rock which leaning left to clear the tree, and must immediately turn left and lean right to clear another rock. Not a hard maneuver, just takes due diligence, apparently.
    How was your commute today?-gatebypassoffendingtree.jpg

This will be my first time riding it since the 'incident', as I stopped to take pictures the other day.

Or not. My fork seems to be failing. 100mm RST that came with the bike. It's been a great fork considering what it is (a cheap oem fork that came with an $800 bike). It has five good seasons on it, and I have done nothing except oil the stanchions. No measurable dampening in the first several inches of travel, and sitting lower than normal, as if the spring broke. Looks like I'll be getting a Manitou Minute sooner than I expected.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    It's on a 1977 Schiwnn Super Le Tour that I converted from 27" wheels with a geared freewheel to 700c with a flip flop rear wheel for fixed/free, but have only had freewheels on it. All city track cog gets the job done.

I like it alright and I have no intention of taking the brakes off ever, because I need them now and there's never a good reason to not have a fail safe. I'd like to try fixed and clipped in, though. Just had my usual hiking boots on today. I feel like the ride is real smooth and acceleration is good. I'm into that.
    Sounds cool. Are you running any type of foot retention at all? I ride fixed and clipless and I love it. Never tried straps before and have no intentions of doing so.