Page 378 of 572 FirstFirst ... 278 328 368 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 388 428 478 ... LastLast
Results 9,426 to 9,450 of 14293
    Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    The road bike is full campy 3x9 and the cross (2x10) has campy shifters/derailleurs but a Shimano crankset. Lowest gear currently on the cross is 39 frontx29 rear. I can't put a smaller chainring on this crankset, but a compact might work, though some say the existing FD might not work so great. Campy specs the cross's RD as 29 tooth max, but maybe I can push that. If I steal anything off the road bike I would probably just steal everything (drivetrain/brifters), assuming its compatible.
    In moving to a compact crankset, you might need to adjust the height of your existing FD, but otherwise it should not be a problem. I've never run campy derailleurs, but on SRAM and Shimano derailleurs you can push the "max tooth" spec and be OK, as long as you are still within the take-up capacity of the derailleur. I've run 32T cassettes on derailleurs speced for 28T with zero problems. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    No kidding? I bet it would fit Nokian A10s then. I don`t remember- do you have one of the later Casserolls with cantis, or the earlier sidepull models?
    cantis! xtr v's actually.
    the colour-matched front rack is a REALLY nice addition.
    how big are the A10's?
    I had 40mm schwalbe marathon winters. tons of room even for the studs.
    I wouldn't go to a 45mm with studs on the outer tread blocks, but down the middle it'd be fine.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Supposed to get another 6" of snow tomorrow. Sigh.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Here's one that would fit any or rodar's bikes.

I hit an icy rut, took a digger and bashed up my knee, which is now on ice, 3 days before my vacation.
    That crank would indeed fir on Rodar`s bike, but there`s no way in Hell that it`ll end up there until they bolt a 24t ring to the inside!

Oh, man! The knee + vacation combo just plain sucks . Sure hope it doesn`t get in the way of your guided mtb ride.

Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    how big are the A10's?
    I had 40mm schwalbe marathon winters. tons of room even for the studs.
    Looks like they come in 32 and 40 (I just checked), but I thought they were 35. Anyway, since you already have studs that fit, I guess it`s no big deal. That`s still a whopper of a tire for a road bike!

Sanath, isn`t that the pannier that AndrewSwitch reviewd a while ago? If it was, somebody else just bought it also, and the whole story just came back up again within the last month or so in another pannier thread. You might try looking over the first page or two of recent threads for titles about panniers and see if it`s in there.

EDIT: Seatle Sports Titan
    Pannier(s) on a mountain bike
    Whoo, how`s that for a memory!
    Last edited by rodar y rodar; 04-04-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    No worries, Rodar. Yep, here in Vegas we get about three weeks of perfect riding weather in the fall and three weeks in the spring. Supposed to be getting close to ninety tomorrow. Unseasonably high, however, so it will cool down again a little. Supposed to be closer to seventy-five or so right now.

Commute in today uneventful. About fifty-eight degrees or so . Seven miles all down hill. Easy, easy. 14-16 mph cruising pace and barely breaking a sweat.

Ride home sort of sucked. Had to peddle home quick to be on time to leave for an art night at kids' school. Can usually do my seven mile all uphill single speed (40x16) trek in about 35-45 minutes or so depending on my mood. About 10-12 mph average pace. First thing out the gate heading home, however, the crotch of my pants torn out by catching on my seat. I wear work pants on my trek to and from so I don't have to mess around with changing. I work for Clark County Public Works. So now I basically have to ride one handed while trying to hold my pants together so traffic doesn't get a bad view. Then, for only the second time ever, my chain pops while I steer into a curb cause the one handed thing wasn't working that well for me. Now I got to put my greasy chain (probably not as good with my maintenance like most are) on one handed while holding my pants.

Never the less, I got home only a few minutes later than usual. But it was one of those commutes. Some are better than others for sure, but even the bad ones are usually better than driving the Jeep. I'm in this cause I like riding bikes, need the exercise, and saving a little on gas isn't half bad either.

OTB Pro
    Had a good commute today as it was about 27 degrees this morning but got up to 50 by the time my classes were over. Love commuting to class rather than driving a car because it actually gives me something to look forward too when I leave class. Getting much more confident in traffic but seems like each day someone gets close to hitting me so still trying to find some sort of comfort zone while commuting in traffic.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Had my warmest start of the year today. The temp was a warm 38F and I rode with bare legs. All of the wind "they" were predicting has not shown up yet. The weather report had calm 5mph winds out of the SSE. Ride home should be in the upper 60's or lower 70's and I hope that 20+ mph wind doesn't show up.

MTB, Road, Commuting

Last commute before Vaca!

I road a Guest Bike in today to asses it's roadworthyness for a co-worker. You can see by the pics that it was a real looker. It was kind of fun to ride a different bike for a day.

My knee is big and sore but functional so it should be alright. As long as I don't do any kneeling. I dropped the bike at the bike doctors yesterday for a shockectomy so that should be on it's way to being fixed while I'm away.

I'm not too upset about leaving for vacation because spring is still taking its sweet time getting here.

MTXB, I think a compact might be the right answer. It's possible that you might have front derailleur problems but I doubt it. I agree with others that cannibalizing a working bike feels wrong. I have a compact on my Scott CR1 and I don't really notice a difference in low gearing between that and my Cross Check which has a triple.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Climbing hills into a 10-20MPH wind is just plain unfair.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Climbing hills into a 10-20MPH wind is just plain unfair.
    Just look forward to the return trip all down hill with a 10-20MPH wind at your back!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Just look forward to the return trip all down hill with a 10-20MPH wind at your back!
    Don't bet on it. In the last few weeks I have had several commutes with headwinds both ways, and tailwinds both ways.

One of the headwind days was so bad it added 6 minutes to a net downhill route of just 5.3 miles.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Sanath, isn`t that the pannier that AndrewSwitch reviewd a while ago? If it was, somebody else just bought it also, and the whole story just came back up again within the last month or so in another pannier thread. You might try looking over the first page or two of recent threads for titles about panniers and see if it`s in there.

EDIT: Seatle Sports Titan
    Pannier(s) on a mountain bike
    Whoo, how`s that for a memory!
    Ah, thanks for that. I searched and turned up a fairly old thread in which AndrewSwitch briefly described them. Sounded okay, and I figure I can always just return the things to REI if I don't like them. Came to $71.something shipped (stupid sales tax) for the pair of bags, which still sounds pretty darn good to me.

Moderator Moderator
    I got the new summer commuter shoes on the MTB for today's ride. It was quiet, comfy and 53 minutes 13.13mph. Most rides with the studded snows have been about 1:05, although I did clock a 55 last week somehow, probably some helpful lights and wind. I ended up getting the cheap wheels $59/$79 (Terramax?)on Performance, they are dual purpose compatible with disc/rim brakes. The dearth of mullet wheels (or any wheels really) on Craigslist convinced me not to spend my weekends scouring the bikeswaps, which are usually in May. The Marathon greenguards look pretty good, but I'd be surprised if they really measure 1.75". I didn't notice their heft, but we'll see how the hill home is. These are my first un-knobbies I've put on this bike and so far I am pleased with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I ended up getting the cheap wheels $59/$79 (Terramax?)on Performance, they are dual purpose compatible with disc/rim brakes. The dearth of mullet wheels (or any wheels really) on Craigslist convinced me not to spend my weekends scouring the bikeswaps, which are usually in May.
    I'm looking for an inexpensive set of wheels for my Single Speed and can't find anything worth it on Craigslist in my area, and what you have here is exactly what I'm looking for. Where exactly did you get those $59/$79 wheels from?

Thanks in advance!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Finally was able to commute today, long week, 15 deg, sunny, icy, punchy, gonna be nasty riding home...

Moderator Moderator
    po8757, It looks like that sale ended, but there is a new one today that gives you 20% off, for a total of $199 when added to the cart.
    PerformanceBike - bikes, bike accessories, bike gear, cycling equipment, cycling apparel, and more

You could also see if they might still honor the sale, since you had those items in your cart and must have forgot to hit submit.

From my 3/23 order confirmation:
    Forté Terramax 26" Rear Wheel
    Item #50-0106-NON-NON
    $79.99

Forté Terramax 26" Front Wheel
    Item #50-0105-NON-NON
    $59.99

If that doesn't work they might tell you if they will be back on sale soon.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    ^^^ Thanks. I will keep an eye out there and my other places.

I'm looking for an easy way to switch my SS from Commuter back to mountain bike with dirt tires and an 18t cog. Now its too much work if I want to take it out on the dirt.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Another thought...When I put the new wheel on, the mechanical disc brake dragged and I had to readjust it where it bolts on. I realized I should have bought some spacers that let you match the rotor location on the 2 wheels so that the swap can be done without messing with the brakes so much. Something like this: Universal Cycles -- Syntace 0.2mm Disc Brake Rotor Shims

mtbr member
    Hit 57 F yesterday and I got back over 15 mph average. Still off last year's pace but getting there.

BrianMc

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    ^^Another thought...When I put the new wheel on, the mechanical disc brake dragged and I had to readjust it where it bolts on. I realized I should have bought some spacers that let you match the rotor location on the 2 wheels so that the swap can be done without messing with the brakes so much. Something like this: Universal Cycles -- Syntace 0.2mm Disc Brake Rotor Shims
    Thanks again, I haven't thought of that, although the BB-7 is very easy to adjust on the fly. If it turns into a problem I will keep these in mind.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Supposed to get another 6" of snow tomorrow. Sigh.
    No word from Newfangled today - I hope he's not smothered in snow.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what we actually got - maybe 3"? It was pretty underwhelming. But I'm happy to be underwhelmed, since the two March storms we had were also only supposed to drop 6", but each ended up at more than a foot.

I'd kindof been planning to take my studs off this weekend because the roads have been so clear, but the trails haven't started to clear at all, so I'm probably stuck with them for a few more weeks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    No worries, Rodar. Yep, here in Vegas we get about three weeks of perfect riding weather in the fall and three weeks in the spring. Supposed to be getting close to ninety tomorrow. Unseasonably high, however, so it will cool down again a little. Supposed to be closer to seventy-five or so right now.

Commute in today uneventful. About fifty-eight degrees or so . Seven miles all down hill. Easy, easy. 14-16 mph cruising pace and barely breaking a sweat.

Ride home sort of sucked. Had to peddle home quick to be on time to leave for an art night at kids' school. Can usually do my seven mile all uphill single speed (40x16) trek in about 35-45 minutes or so depending on my mood. About 10-12 mph average pace. First thing out the gate heading home, however, the crotch of my pants torn out by catching on my seat. I wear work pants on my trek to and from so I don't have to mess around with changing. I work for Clark County Public Works. So now I basically have to ride one handed while trying to hold my pants together so traffic doesn't get a bad view. Then, for only the second time ever, my chain pops while I steer into a curb cause the one handed thing wasn't working that well for me. Now I got to put my greasy chain (probably not as good with my maintenance like most are) on one handed while holding my pants.

Never the less, I got home only a few minutes later than usual. But it was one of those commutes. Some are better than others for sure, but even the bad ones are usually better than driving the Jeep. I'm in this cause I like riding bikes, need the exercise, and saving a little on gas isn't half bad either.
    Wow, this is a little freaky, I live in Las Vegas, commute 7.5 miles to work downhill and of course 7.5 miles back home uphill. I ride a Trek and my 4 wheeler is a Jeep. If I worked for the County (I don't) we would be living in a parallel world. Glad I didn't tear my pants today. Wow....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That is a little freaky, Sksbrowndog. I ride a ninety-nine dollar Walmart street cruiser, so that sets us apart too. Also got a Haro Vector rigid mountain bike that I ride up at Cottonwood every weekend.

Good commute today. Easy in and easy out. Only in mid-eighties today. I thought it was supposed to be ninety. Glad it wasn't. I think peddling home up hill in the summer at 3 p.m. when it's 113 degrees is gonna be hell. Not looking forward to it. Guess I should embrace ninety with enthusiasm.

weirdo
    Hey, Vegas twins! You guys ever check out the Nevada subforum? It gets a surprising amount of action. Usually complete domination by you southern boys, but us "northerners" have been doing pretty well for the past couple weeks. I`m in Reno.

Bedwards, it looks like your guest bike has steel rims. You have an aluminum allergy like my threadless allergy?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Hit 57 F yesterday and I got back over 15 mph average. Still off last year's pace but getting there.
    Keep on working at it, Brian! Glad you`re making progress

I did my little personal TT route this morning. A stiff breeze sprang up in the middle (no noticeable wind at home, just a few miles away), but I was delighted to see my AV speed up in the normal range as I got towards the end, and thought I must have really kicked butt against that wind. But I kept getting closer to home and watching my elapsed time, thinking I sure didn`t have much time left to get to my "finish line." I finished about a minute and a half slow- finally realized I had changed tires and didn`t recalibrate the speedometer, haha!
    Recalculating....