Page 378 of 420 FirstFirst ... 278328368374375376377378379380381382388 ... LastLast
Results 18,851 to 18,900 of 20992
    guy
    Back in saddle finally!

Bedwards Of The West
    Sorry to hear about the flooding and car accidents! No good!

Super calm and warmer than usual this morning... the calm before... "winter storm watch" for tomorrow and Thursday... the wind part is a little intimidating:

* WINDS: STRONG WINDS ARE EXPECTED WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY
    MORNING. SOUTHWEST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 65 MPH. RIDGE
    GUSTS UP TO 90 MPH. DAMAGE TO TREES IS POSSIBLE.

Time to see what Strava segments that wind might cooperate with
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    Back in saddle finally!
    Yay!!!

^ CB good luck with that!! The haters will moan that you used a motorbike or something.
    Remember you're gonna have to grind it out one way though

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Like CB my commute was calm and warmer than usual at 54f. Tonight the rain is supposed to start and go off and on thru Thursday. One of the guys at work said he saw me this morning going down the hill and thought I was a motorcycle. Good to know the light and tail lights are doing their jobs.

mtbr member
    A good commute today after a bummer one yesterday - write up on that here.

Temps in the mid-single digits this morning, so I decided to swap back to clipless after yesterday's attempt to ride flats with boots due to the -5F in the morning. Glad I did, I think. Feet were fine - a bit chilled by the time I got to work, but not bad at all.

I feel like this winter I have been able to wear a lot fewer/lighter clothes than in past years, particularly on my hands and feet and I wonder if running has had any effect on that directly (both my feet and hands have become a lot more vein-y than they were before I started running and we know that running, specifically, promotes capillary growth and expansion) or indirectly just through being lower in weight, thus more efficient or less constricted in overall blood flow. At any rate, I like that even in the single digits I am able to wear a light liner glove and my uninsulated overmits and my fingers are almost too warm. I am still amazed at how much less clothing I can wear while running in cold temps when compared to biking, though. Cra-cra. Went out for a run at 3 degrees last night wearing a single light layer top and bottom and super thin liner gloves and was perfectly warm the whole time - to the point I had to roll up my sleeves to keep from over heating. If I could just bottle that for the bike ride!

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Wind chill, man. Can't duplicate those speeds when you're running. I have a friend I see out running sometimes when I'm riding to work, and he's always commenting on how much I'm wearing, when he's out there being hardcore in a single layer or whatever... I'm always telling him if I was that slow I'd be dumping layers too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ Wind chill, man. Can't duplicate those speeds when you're running. I have a friend I see out running sometimes when I'm riding to work, and he's always commenting on how much I'm wearing, when he's out there being hardcore in a single layer or whatever... I'm always telling him if I was that slow I'd be dumping layers too.
    Who you callin' slow? I'm fast as a gazelle when I'm running ...in my head

There is certainly the wind-chill factor, but there is also the overall higher level of physical work - full body rather than primarily lower body - so the furnace burns a lot hotter.

mtbr member
    Kleebs: very good!
    Blockphi: .......
    Ghost_htx: get well.soon!
    Slipspace: ooff sounds tough....

Nice day here too. Sunny, little wind and too warm on the way home. Was completely sweatsoaked althoigh I opened my jacket along the way.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    Thanks guys, Im ok. A little sore in my back is all.
    Biggest injury is to my pride...
    Glad you're doing OK Ghost! Might be worth going back to the Dr. And have your back checked out. I've heard people don't know they've injured their back until well after an accident. Just a thought I'm no expert

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Amazing ride in. It was in the 40's. I wore shorts, a long sleeve jersey, and my wind shell. It of course was a trade off; nice warm temps but windy as heck!

Just 330 miles to go, lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    Amazing ride in. It was in the 40's. I wore shorts, a long sleeve jersey, and my wind shell. It of course was a trade off; nice warm temps but windy as heck!

Just 330 miles to go, lol.
    I feel I received the same fair treatment today on the ride home. In the lower 70s with a bit of wind. Most of my commute is exposed road and not many buildings to break up the wind.
    In all fairness it just makes me stronger. I remember struggling on the last hill before my home. The first few times I got off the bike and had to walk/jog. Now I am able to push through at a somewhat moderate pace.
    2013 Trek 820
    2016 Trek Marlin 6

I'd rather be on my bike
    Great day to ride in. Temps from the ride in and home only varied by 2 degrees. That made me really happy. Temps forecasted to be near 60 by the weekend, and guess who is working the rest of the week?
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3208/6000

mtbr member
    second coldest ride of the year so far, 3C/37F, actually bright and clear for a change. Just how I like it.

Regards the floods in the North, thanks for the thoughts, worst is over, for now....

Blockphi, interesting comment about the running and overall body temp, I agree. I'm a runner too and wear only shorts and vest whether its 0C/32F or 27C/80F. Currently on the bike I wear a tee, padded top and sometimes a hat under my helmet, still shorts though. The windchill and work rate is definitely a factor though. Running, couple of minutes and I'm up to temp, biking can take 10min or more depending on terrain.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    First case of frost-beard this morning for the year. This is the latest I remember this ever happening. Other than that it was an uneventful ride.

CB of the East
    Waist is sort of a non-issue because they have a drawstring in addition to the elastic. Mine fit me great with just the elastic but I'm glad the drawstring is there. I almost wonder if all the XX's are waist related, and the S, M, L is length related? or vice versa? There has to be a system to the sizing. If you look at their weight/height thing, it's like as the X's go up, you just have to be somewhere near 6'1 and weigh more and more to go with more X's in the size...but being 6'1 is a given I'd guess that they use the same length for all the bigger sizes, and just make them bigger in the waist.
    Nevermind. My wife reminded me that she bought me that exact pair for X-mas last year and they fit like a sack. We returned them and got a smaller pair and they didn't reach my feet. She kept those for herself. I'm glad somebody remembers these things. I'll agree that they were very nice pants and wish they fit. She loves them. (thought I posted this yesterday)

MTB commute in this AM on my 29er with new wheels that shed 1.5lbs. Despite some less than fresh legs I clocked my fastest Home To Work MTB commute.

mtbr member
    Big thaw/freeze last night, and chance of freezing rain today, but I figured I'd risk it and take the one unstudded bike. And I had a fine ride, until the very last hairpin turn into my parking lot, when the bike went down. And tore my magicshineclone batteryholder again.

Bedwards Of The West
    Well you're missing out on the hammer pants bedwards.

Bummer newf... I hate the studded/unstudded gamble... seems like I always get it wrong

Nice tailwind and KOM for me this morning
    It will be a ripping headwind with stinging rain for the ride home.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    MTB commute in this AM on my 29er with new wheels that shed 1.5lbs. Despite some less than fresh legs I clocked my fastest Home To Work MTB commute.
    Road my "road bike" (Ridley Cross fire with 25's) in yesterday because my commuter had a flat. I got a KOM on my way home last night on the hill leading to my house.

Rode it again today because my kids had basketball last night and I didn't have time to fix the flat. My ride in was 42 minutes versus 48 on my commuter. Amazing what a difference skinny, light tires (or rims) makes.

mtbr member
    I want Hammer pants!

Good ride in this AM, but one of those ones where it is impossible to really dress right. It was 26 in the valley and 10 in town. I didn't want to wear a second layer on the legs, knowing that I'd be way too hot and sweaty on the bus and then would absolutely freeze once in town. I don't think my fellow bus riders would be too happy with me if I whipped off my pants to throw on a second layer. I think maybe I need to look at investing in some tights that I can throw my looser bike pants over for days like today. I'm just a bit loath to wear tights. Lycra at all, really. But that might be the only way to really accommodate the need for different levels of layers at the two ends of my commutes.

Beyond that, the riding was good. The lagoon is proving to be some good riding right now. Lots of fresh hoarfrost each morning and evening right now to refresh the surface. Good times.

Down to less than 60 miles to go to hit 5K for the year. A touch less than half of my total 2014 mileage, but I'm happy with it. I think I may try to shoot for 5200 just to say I averaged 100 miles a week, which is pretty good given the amount of time I worked from home this year and the reduction in biking in favor of running.

Bedwards Of The West
    Let's be fair... who doesn't want hammer pants?

I have the Sugoi "subzero" tights (basically a light fleece inner lining) and they are great under a second layer... no one has to know.

and that's big miles. Absolutely crazy that anyone (much less someone in Alaska) could hit 10K in a year. 5k is huge.

CB of the East
    Let's be fair... who doesn't want hammer pants?
    Apparently I didn't.....Recalculating.

Moderator Moderator
    Ride on/rock on Blockphi, pix please.

Moderator Moderator
    Disappointing this morning. At the roundabout at 302/2 (bedwards), I entered with decent speed as I did not have to yield. Two "spokes" later, got cut off by an entering car who did not even look, and had to brake to let it in. Hoped the unmarked state police SUV parked/hovering at the adjacent rotary exit for scofflaws would pull out and pull over the car for such rude driving, but no, it remained in place. I shoulder checked twice, one to see if the cop would pull the over, and once to glare for them not getting pulled over. Sigh, almost wish I had just plowed into the side of the car as I had the ROW.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Windy but really nice. Cannot complain about the weather at all. Delivered in a jersey and shorts and was breaking a sweat. Ride to both jobs and home was really nice. Jacket and lightweight gloves for the ride home. Miles are coming along nicely and I might have passed z1r now.

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. A bit tired with dead legs. Temps in the mid-20s on both ends of the ride, so that was nice. Other than that, nothing to report.

I'll try to get some pix on tonight's ride before the light goes away for the day

Bedwards Of The West
    Bummer MTBX! Insult to injury. That's frustrating.

So we're now officially under a 'winter storm warning'... which sometimes means absolutely nothing, but occasionally means we get actual weather. It dumped rain all night, and it's supposed to get cold and snow some tonight. Got some epic wind for the commute yesterday, and today a double bonus... strange break in the storm right as I left my house, no rain for my 50 minute commute, and a ripping tailwind (and another KOM ) for me... first 7 miles of the ride were glorious, the final 5 were trying to keep it in the double digits with a howling headwind.

mtbr member
    Windy today, 15-20 kts blasting me in this morning and blasting in my face on the way home. Although we had 5-6CC/40-44F, it felt darn cold. I guess it was the wind in combination with high humidity.

At home an early Xmas present was waiting for me: A bikestand that I so desperately needed already the entire year. Since I converted to dropbar in January, I was unable to put it upside down on the ground and ever since when I had to take out a wheel or something, I had to lay it flat down on the ground or garden table. Not very practible. I tried it out after diner and the whole thing looks and feels stable. It weighs pretty much too - I guess at least 10kg/20lbs and it is pretty bulky even when folded. But it is just sitting in the basement, those last thing will be no issue. Now the problem is, there is nothing to do on the bike at the moment....

Moderator Moderator
    Heavier load than usual in the backpack today due to offsite training, necessitating clothes, lunch, shoes, notepad, bikelock, workphone, etc. in addition to my usual pint of coffee and thermos of ostmeal (ctually I ran out and had grits today). Other than that and having to leave about 45 minutes earlier than usual, it was fine. Still mild, showers and about 35 in the a.m., cleared and 42 in the afternoon. Still no snow, other than an inch or less here and there, highly unusual and not good for VT's ski driven economy. Luckily the multitude of microbreweries are taking up the tourism slack.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ It's all out west! It's our turn. Wooot!

mtbr member
    ^^ The snow tires on on both cars, so it will likely be a brown Christmas here.

mtbr member
    Yep some kind of super el nino on the way this year they say!

Had a rare uphill tailwind on the way home tonight which was nice, been commuting on the bike usually 4 out of 5 days for the past few weeks, feeling good! Wind picking up, supposed to rain tomorrow, going to drive, need some stuff at the store anyway.
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

weirdo
    Viva el Niño!

Woke up to a white carpet this evening, still falling a little. More than we`ve had for a few years, but still not THAT much compared to what I`ve gotten used to as an average over my lifetime.

I drove in last night as was really glad to have intermnal combustion when I left work this morning. After twelve fairly brutal hours I was bushed, and it was wet and rainy. Twelve more comming tonight, and several inches of sloppy snow- if I had my studs on I would probably ride in and enjoy it, but they`re still out in the shed and I`m not about to screw with them. Looks like the drive of (psye?) shame for me again.
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Warm commute today with the ride in topping 60°F on my Garmin. Unreal for near mid December in Michigan. This whole el Nino thing, yeah, this can stick around. Ride home was really windy. Wanted to do some extra miles since it was only 48°F but I need to save my legs for Friday and the weekend. This is the last weekend on campus before finals. We get really busy apparently, and I want in on the action. We are less than a mile from the campus library, and even during the regular week we are there quite a bit. From what the manager said, it is non stop back and forth with three, four and even five orders at a time. There is very little car parking so the drivers don't usually go. This is going to be awesome!!!

Friday marks 12 days in a row at the hospital. I am pretty sure that I rode to work every single day of that stretch. I may have driven the first day and honestly it is a complete blur to me. Going out like a boss by delivering before work and then 8 hours at work. Weekend is my off time but I will be on that bike again. Good times my friends, good times!!

mtbr member
    My commutes have always been uneventful...

Had a flat on Tuesday. No big deal, but in five years, this is the first flat I've had, anywhere, anytime, period. For commuting I use Geax Evolutions, and they have been bulletproof. Alas, a very small, very pointy piece of glass said ENOUGH!

If only it had ended there. I was pumping the new tube and got to a point where it didn't seem like the pressure was increasing. I set about to reseat the pump, and double-checked that the valve lock was fully open. It spun right off and into the dark oblivion that was the grass I was standing in. Huh.

A few more minutes into pumping air into this new tube and I now hear air leaking out the valve. I again set about to reseat the pump and woosh, the whole core shot out, off into that same black oblivion. Thank you quality control, in 31 years I've never had a Presta core issue, I guess a core tool is going into my tool kit now.

Then came Wednesday. I've only ever had one previous commuting crash, and that was when I was commuting to high school (really commuting, 10 miles) and was doing a track stand at a light to impress a car full of girls that went to my school. Yeah, that was fun. For them.

My commute home is a joyous affair in exercise and solitude at 4am. I routinely hit up a park along my route that has a nice, wide paved path that is great for riding by moonlight alone. At the end I approach from it has a maintenance access gate with a gravel walk around. The park has a single main entrance, but I don't want to go to the far end then do an out and back. Once through is enough and I the main entrance has some benches, making a nice stop after I ride through the park.

I've been dismounting for the gravel walk-around for years, but recently found the confidence to ride it. It's not an easy maneuver. The road banks to the left and the gate comes up on the right. The park is about 10 feet below the road, so the edge of the road goes from an incline to a decline in the space of about 1/2 foot.

The gate is set back 8 feet from the road, with the walk-around on the right side. One can't enter the walk-around directly from the road due to bad road condition and some bushes, so I ride past and turn around.

To make it interesting, there is an 18 foot rail that divides the access road from the walk-around, and it extends 3-4 feet past the gate, so while you've got plenty of room turning in at the gate, you've only got 4 foot between the end of the rail and the road, and the walk-around is about 2.5 ft wide.

Gratuitous sketch for reference:

Name:  ParkAccess.gif
Views: 107
Size:  7.6 KB

I usually make the large loop across both lanes as you can see in the image above, but that night, there happened to be a car passing in the opposite direction as I reached the gate. I compensated by staying in my lane, which forced me to make that sharp transition from incline to decline while in the middle of the turn, which pushed me closer to the gate. I was not able to recover, had too much angle entering the walk-around, went wide, and a few small trees whacked my right hand, then a larger one stopped the bar cold, and the front end did what it is always want to do in that situation .

The walk-around consists of medium gravel with a few embedded rocks sticking up a few inches, and is shaped like a lazy half-pipe, so the bike goes right and up, and as my fragile parts are nearing the top tube, I've still got about a 6 inches left between my left foot and the ground. I'm not moving all that fast so my brain is scrambling for the safest out, but I'm running out of options quick. I reach for the divider, my targeting system skewed by carrying more momentum than I was expecting, and miss the rail. The bike keeps rotating, so I don't shatter my delicate parts on the tube, but my left foot comes down hard, and I don't have the strength or angle to keep myself upright. I end up pole-vaulting off the leg and coming down on the same knee, sliding a bit on it and the other one to ensure a proper crash. What glorious pleasure.

While my brain was successfully failing to handle my downward spiral, it decided to ignore my right foot and leg, which were successful in hooking the bike and tossed it up so I could be surprised when it bounced off my back and landed in front of me. It came to a stop with the bar light pushing all of it's glorious 2200 lumens right to to the back of my brain case. If there had been someone behind me, I'm fairly certain they would have seen a glow pushing through the hair on the back of my head.

I know what it feels like when a chunk of hard aluminum hits you in the eyeball while blasting a trillion billion photons right through your soul, and I can't say I ever want to experience it again. I'm fairly certain God was laughing while I fumbled around for a minute or two before I figured out it would be a bit before my vision returned. With that realization, I reluctantly lay at an odd angle against the divider, my bike laying half on me, photons fighting for entry into my soul, unable to extricate myself from an immensely embarrassing situation, not knowing who might drive by and shake their head at the idiot just off the side of the road?

Alas, there was no real damage. Not even my pride, as I lost that decades ago. The bar was rotated a bit to the right, an easy fix. I'm sure a pedal was scratched, haven't check yet. Paint is still there, including on components. Helmet looks new, no cuts in my clothing. Beyond the hilarity of my condition, I think God wanted me to ride on. He knows I get bummed out if I can't get in at least an hour during my commute home. I rode gingerly for a minute while checking derailleur functionality, noted the bar was askew, and rode on to the benches at the other end of the park. Replaced the batteries in my helmet lamp as they were about dead, then stared at the stars and drank water as I always do.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice story, I especially enjoyed the part about your light. That's a rough couple days, be careful tomorrow!

mtbr member
    flamingtaco I was right there with you dude, except I lol'ed you probably didnt. :-) Bike landing on you, a trillion billion photons in the eye.... Hope you're not too sore this morning!

No bike yesterday, Works doo at knocking off time so got a lift. Awoke this morning feeling a cold coming, sore throat, blocked nose etc. Rode in and feel a damn sight better for it.

Talentless Hack
    With it being dark on the evening commutes, I can now can that see everyone is driving while staring at a mysterious glow coming from their lap.

Mysterious, I say.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Great story, Flamingtaco.

My commute yesterday was 7 hours on a bus, which was fun (although it is a nice bus).

This morning light snow started falling just before I headed out. Second snowfall of the year, but we're right around freezing so I didn't expect it to amount to much, but as I got to work it was doing a decent enough job of coverage.

With the warm weather that we've had, the trails have been threatening to turn into sheet ice. So a little snow, plus cooler temperatures next week should keep things in good shape.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Had to take my car to the DMV to renew my registration, was actually fast and painless at the new facility they put in near me. I'm pretty loathed to spend any money on my car at this point, at 7 years old and 25k miles I just don't use it very often and my driving habits are still going down. Think I might sell it next year and buy a cargo bike like the Bullitt.

After the DMV I drove home, past my office, got on my bike and rode back to work.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    My commutes have always been uneventful...
    I was thinking that your story was way too long to read but it got good reviews, so I did. . Funny stuff. Amazing nothing was damaged. I think I need a picture to visualize the crash site. A picture is worth 1000 words, you were close.

The weather here is whacky warm for December in Maine. Not much more to report.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Viva el Niño!
    Nah I am not so sure. After a strong el nino we always seem to get a wet spring here in europe, so I am not so sure whether I like it or not.

Flamingtaco: sorry to hear about your crash but the way you describe it made me laugh! Sounds hilarious how you describe it. Glad that you and the gear are allright.

Drizzle all the way in this morning. At least less windy than yesterday. Made a 7km/4m detour on the way home to stop by the next lcs*. Wind had picked up again but the route was mostly sheltered but the route I picked was very muddy, so bike got all dirty again. 1km/0.5m before home I hit a pothole in the dark that made my rearwheel shift in the dropouts and rub the fender a bit. Instead of messing around in the dark, I rode home after checking that it did not rub the frame. Will fix it tomorrow - finally a reason to build up the new bikestand.

*local cheese shop

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Uneventful ride in this morning. Ground was still wet from last nights rain and it quite a bit colder than most o the week. I'm guessing it was in the low 40s compared to the low 50s we've been having. I did get a chance to use the new light I purchased. It's mainly a helmet light for trail riding, but with more rain in the forecast over the next week I figured i'd test it out on a commute.

Moderator Moderator
    Drove today so I could pick up my old Litespeed MTB winter commuter (at the not-so-local bike shop) that I have not needed so far this "winter" (hit over 50F today). It looks shiny and has new bars and new BB7s with stainless hardware, and a bunch of maintenance done! Despite driving I got plenty of exercise anyway lugging boxes up stairs and pawing through papers the rest of the day.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post

After the DMV I drove home, past my office, got on my bike and rode back to work.
    Respect.

Another great day to ride. Windy as all get out this morning but it died down to a tolerable level by noon. It hit 60°F at one point today. Jersey, shorts, fingerless gloves.....seriously??? No complaints at all. Will be back at it in the morning again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Commuted in the hire car today. Was working in Ghana last week and seem to have eaten something that didn't agree with me... Cue stomach pain, lack of appetite and, well, other "un-pleasantnesses"...

I can feel my legs atrophying...

Cool story Flamingtaco!

As to my back - it seems to have gone over now, no more soreness or stiffness...

I also found out that the car is a total wreck - the insurance company aren't going to repair it - they want to pay out instead. This is actually OK, as they want to give me very close to what I paid for the car (not the real value; I got family discount on the car when I bought it) so I guess this (along with the fact that the other guy I crashed into isnt hurt) is the silver lining in this bloody mess I find myself in...

I'd rather be on my bike
    Raining and just about 60°F this morning. Leaving to deliver and then ride to work. Should be an interesting and wet day. Students are taking finals this week so the library runs should be plentiful. When classes are in, I shortcut on the sidewalks due to several one way streets and these new grates they put in at the entrances are slickerier than snot when wet. Gotta mind those more than the painted lines on the road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    This mornings commute was quite a bit colder than last week. Temp was 37F which I could feel on my thumbs due to holes in my gloves lol. On the creekside bike path there is one arched wooden bridge that I have to cross. That bridge was glistening with frost so I definitely need to be careful making the immediate 90 right hand turn onto the path otherwise it'd be easy to slip out.

Changed the optics on one of my new lights to give it more of a spot beam this weekend. This mornings ride was mainly spent evaluating how it looked compared to the stock optics. Overall i'm happy with the change.

mtbr member
    Light snow most of the weekend, which didn't really amount to very much, but which really did make things feel a lot more wintery. And temperatures look like they're going to be solidly below freezing for the next while.

Got out on the weekend and did an impromtu splits on one ride. I'm still feeling it, but not nearly to the extent that I thought I would.

Fatbikes were really slow to be adopted around here - last year was the first time I'd ever seen more than a handful. But since then they've really taken off:

Edmonton's 1st ever Fat-bike Chariot Race!

Think Roman Gladiator chariots, meets chuckwagon racing meets dog sled racing! As part of the Flying Canoe Festival, MADE is hosting a call for entries for the first ever "Winterus Maximus" event: 2 Fat-bikes pulling a custom-designed Chariot and pilot in races against other chariots!. The race will be held on a course on the Flying Canoe Festival grounds in the Mill Creek area on February 6th, 2016. Teams will be responsible for designing the Chariots and the harnesses connecting to the fat-bikes.
    I have a feeling that this will not work very well at all, but we'll see.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ That sounds like a riot!

Wouldn't go over well around here... I think I have the only fatbike in town (except for walmart)

Love a good crash story! That was fantastic.

I got to use the studs this morning... first time since 2013. Keep it comin' El Nino. WooHoo!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the support, everyone!

I definitely laughed about the event ...eventually... hence the light-hearted story. It could have turned out a lot worse, belly-flopping onto the cold gravel, hitting one of the pointy rocks with my chest... so I couldn't help but relay my failed attempt. Anytime one conducts an expected maneuver, complete with flailing arms and an expression that we've all seen in those roller-coaster photographs, it's only right to spread it around.

I am perfectly fine. I commuted on Friday, and made a point to re-conquer that dragon. There were no cars, I rode slower, set the fork dampening to a minimum, leaned way the hell back, and cleared it without issue. There's a rock halfway through that I can roll only the front wheel around, and it's got an angle to it that pushes the wheel to the right about 3-4 inches. Was a bit spooky hitting it with all the weight pushed back and moving slowly, so I'll need to work on that, but otherwise I'm good.

I'll try to get some images on my way home tomorrow.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!