Page 374 of 632 FirstFirst ... 274 324 364 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 384 424 474 ... LastLast
Results 9,326 to 9,350 of 15778
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Depends, Will you be thinking about it on a 35mph road descent or a technical trail descent? At a minimum I'd reinforce the inside of the tire with a large patch.

I'm still riding in on snowy trails. We're starting to approach normal temps so it can't be too long before it's really spring here.
    How was your commute today?-2013-03-26-07.31.51.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Finally got a warm week coming....-3C this morning about 0C for the rest of the week..(high aobut 10 C)

Rode in without the balaclava and summer gloves for the first time this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Depends, Will you be thinking about it on a 35mph road descent or a technical trail descent? At a minimum I'd reinforce the inside of the tire with a large patch.
    Yeah, I'll patch it for now, but I see a new tire in the near to distant future...

mtbr member
    Brutal. That's all I can say. -8F when I left the house this AM. Trails were still quit soft in a lot of places, making is a slog.

Here's a bad pic a coworker took of me as I arrived.

Name:  8594618687_726c92b866_m.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  16.5 KB

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Epic ice beard!

I had some trail carnage yesterday after work... rode the MTB in since I had some time after work for a quick trail ride... I got a ways out and then proved my manhood by tearing the derailleur hanger in half by sheer pedaling force...not sure what happened, I must have missed a shift, but I didn't think I did. I was climbing, so I was mashing on it a bit. I mean it wasn't a snapped crank arm, but still...

Folded the derailleur up and made things really ugly. Somehow, magically, I didn't break any spokes. So being the prepared commuter that I am, I was packing a multi-tool with a chainbreaker and a spare masterlink, and of course a few zip ties... derailleur went into the backpack, cable got tied up out of the way, and I found a chain length that made for a (too) tight chain on a too-high gear, and I went singlespeed for the rest of the ride.
    Worked so well I kept heading away from civilization... got a good ride in SS mode. And when I got home my REI dividend was in the mail... free derailleur. Sweet.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    Smudge, that is a most impressive tire-buster! And at least it was easy to find, unlike those little strands of cable, etc., that can be hard to spot.

Jeffscott, summer gloves for -3C?! Yikes!

Blockphi, -8F, that is terrible! Even Santa would be jealous of the beard, though.

Commuterboy, a great roadside repair & ride recovery.

It was warmer this morning, 25F, and I broke out the knickers to celebrate. It made the ride speedier too.

I got my repaired pack back from Osprey yesterday, gotta love the lifetime warranty, no questions asked. I was never sure if the waistbelt buckle just broke or if I closed the car door on it or something. I also had a dog leashed to it for a ride, so that could have done it too. It is all better now.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    On my morning commute, there is a guy who passes in the opposite direction wearing no gloves. Temps are in the 30's and low 40's. I always have wanted to ask him why he does not wear gloves. And if the answer is that he cannot afford them, give him a spare pair of mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Smudge, that is a most impressive tire-buster! And at least it was easy to find, unlike those little strands of cable, etc., that can be hard to spot.
    The loud "ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding," as the head hit the inside of the rear triangle was a dead give away...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Jeffscott, summer gloves for -3C?! Yikes!

It was warmer this morning, 25F, and I broke out the knickers to celebrate. It made the ride speedier too.
    Knickers at 25 F yikes...

Just shows you how you get accustomed to winter.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Felt pretty good but developed a ticking noise midway through the first big downhill. Hub was OK but when I inspected more closely on arrival I noticed a huge loss of tension in a lot of the spokes. Wondering if this is because rear wheels previous owner was running it on the freewheel side (hoping that is the case).
    What difference would it make which way the PO had the wheel? Hope it works out. I guess you`re going to retension and retrue at home?
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Brutal.
    Name:  8594618687_726c92b866_m.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  16.5 KB
    Yeah! Go Get Em!
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    So being the prepared commuter that I am, I was packing a multi-tool with a chainbreaker and a spare masterlink, and of course a few zip ties... derailleur went into the backpack, cable got tied up out of the way, and I found a chain length that made for a (too) tight chain on a too-high gear, and I went singlespeed for the rest of the ride.
    Worked so well I kept heading away from civilization... got a good ride in SS mode. And when I got home my REI dividend was in the mail... free derailleur. Sweet.
    Way to go
    Working out at the Gym with the Byknutz family is really paying off as well as the late night Sheldon Brown course! I find it most impressive that you kept on riding away rather than turning tail
    I got my repaired pack back from Osprey yesterday, gotta love the lifetime warranty, no questions asked.
    I really didn`t need to hear that, Xplorer. Although I have absolutely no use for one, I`m so mesmerized by the whole Osprey line at our REI that I have to carefully avoid that section whenever I go in so that I don`t accidentally buy one! I think I`m safe for now though, because my refund is only 13-something.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    And if the answer is that he cannot afford them, give him a spare pair of mine.
    Waiting to see how this turns out. If I end up in the PNW, maybe I`ll try walking part of your commute route and see if anybodody donates a Ti Habanero crossbike to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudge13 View Post
    The loud "ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding," as the head hit the inside of the rear triangle was a dead give away...
    Guessing that a clean round puncture shouldn`t be TOO big a hardship for it, compared to a rock slice or something. How much life is left in that tire? Unless it`s getting close anyway, I`d probably boot it and just use it on the rear.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Still going strong here. Supremely uneventful commutes, which is good I suppose. Temps are great at 20F or so in the mornings, 35F coming home. Been riding a mix of bikes for the first time in a long time, not just fat. It's funny how I can be so indecisive as to which one to ride some days. Still getting a good freeze up high, we may try to ride up ze mountain one night this weekend.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Working out at the Gym with the Byknutz family is really paying off as well as the late night Sheldon Brown course! I find it most impressive that you kept on riding away rather than turning tail
    That reminds me....I saw these 4 minute vids this morning and thought you might be interested.
    1 minute intervals: Phys Ed: The 20-Minute Workout Video - NYTimes.com
    weights: Simple Advice for Better Weight Training - NYTimes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudge13 View Post
    Yeah. I got a 1.5" roofing nail in a rear tire and the screech as it scraped around the inside of the fender was like nails on a blackboard.

"That can't be good!"

I also found that a small staple was not too easy to find. Sort of averages out. I guess.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    I find it most impressive that you kept on riding away rather than turning tail
    I thought about turning around, but I had a precious hour (hard to come by these days) before I had to head back to town to meet the fam, and I got lucky with chain length/gear ratio. It was pretty clear it wasn't going to fail or break anything else.

mtbr member
    Nice ride in to work tonight, mid 60's and looking at mid 40's in the am for the way home. Been working on my speed on my way in lately. I feel it in my lungs, I have a bit of the burn for a while when I get into work. This weather is really turning around.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    My ride home yesterday evening was full of notable events.

I use a big heavy chain and padlock to lock my bike up at work that I usually put in my backpack to take home. This time my backpack was full of other stuff I needed for work so in my haste I thought I would just leave it locked to the bike rack at work and bring it home on Friday. I also thought I would save some weight since I had to climb a huge hill on my way to meet my wife for dinner before heading home……

It hit me about 2 miles from work….. I would need my lock to secure my bike when I stopped for diner, so I turn around to get the lock.

Back on the trail about half way to my destination I see two children with an older lady on the side of the trail working on a bike. As I pass I ask if they need help, and they do. I pull over and see one of the kids bicycles had thrown the chain, and they could not get it back on. I showed them how to put the chain back on. I noticed none of them were wearing helmets. I politely scolded the lady and told her they all should be wearing helmets. She agreed and I was on my way.

Other than that, the ride was nice, in the upper 50’s and had a tail wind for most of the way.

Moderator Moderator
    I must look like an obstacle such as a cardboard box kicking down the road….Why else would a van pull out from behind me to pass and then turn right in front of me when I was taking the lane to avoid just such a fate? I was pedaling in the middle of the right lane, which is marked with a straight and right turn arrow (for the shopping center).

Also had a rottie run out to the road to chase me as I sped downhill. Luckily, some combination of “NO GO HOME”” , a swerve left, and my speed allowed me to continue without incident. The same dog that came out at point blank range a couple years ago and inexplicably put on the dog brakes when he was seemingly millimeters from my front hub.

I’ve had a few yellers lately, mostly unintelligible, some were small children apparently in training. The one that really startled me was a piercing dog bark from a too-close rear car window. I think that was a kid too, but I’m not 100% sure as it was a very good impression.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Also had a rottie run out to the road to chase me as I sped downhill. Luckily, some combination of “NO GO HOME”” , a swerve left, and my speed allowed me to continue without incident. The same dog that came out at point blank range a couple years ago and inexplicably put on the dog brakes when he was seemingly millimeters from my front hub.
    Next time once you are sure you are clear of the dog....call him to come...(let's go...wanna walk....come etc)....

Then wear the dog down...you will quickly become a very unsatisfing target...if the dog does come call animal services and hve him picked up.

I did this with a stupid owner of a rottewieller who could not control the dog, and thought it was cute that it barked and chased cyclists....when I brought the dog back she was in tears....and next time had a leash.

I Ride for Donuts
    Well this is the last day of work before spring break. Working Friday would just be too much before having the full week off. Nothing big on the agenda...a few home projects, and hopefully getting a few rides in. But I will be scarce around here. Have fun without me

mtbr member
    Good ride in this AM. Warmer temps (12F) and the trails were nicely packed down. Nice not taking an hour to go 4.5 miles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Guessing that a clean round puncture shouldn`t be TOO big a hardship for it, compared to a rock slice or something. How much life is left in that tire? Unless it`s getting close anyway, I`d probably boot it and just use it on the rear.
    Lots of tread life left on the tire unfortunately. I put a standard round tube patch over each of three holes. Two in the tread and one on the side wall. (guess it took two rotations to maneuver the nail in such a way to punch it through the side?) Thinking about it now, I think I may put some shoe goo on the outside of the holes to keep sand, dirt road grime from getting in and having friction wear the patches off from the inside.

Wish I would have taken a pic of the nail in the tire. I almost had to laugh! One of those things you can't make up. Looked like the old arrow through the head gag.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've been having back pain recently. Yesterday was really bad. I could barely signal for a turn and pedal at the same time. I'm not sure if there is one single cause or if there were a number of factors involved. For one, the straps on my backpack were not quite even. I know this last bout with pain was caused when I was pedaling really fast downhill, which is kind of weird. I think the combination of the straps and my backpack being heavier and fuller because of the clothing I have to shed on the way home were contributors. Also, my seatpost had been slipping, which encouraged a more erratic pedaling motion. Now that I have a new seat clamp and my straps are set to the same length, I won't have as much of a problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    There is a bloke i see in the mornings on my commute who is riding to work in a short-sleeved shirt. Seems fine until you know that the average temp is -4C (mid 20's F). Funny thing is he doesn't even look cold, says hi in a not-out of breath way too. Must be bred differently to me.......

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Next time once you are sure you are clear of the dog....call him to come...(let's go...wanna walk....come etc)....

Then wear the dog down...you will quickly become a very unsatisfing target...if the dog does come call animal services and hve him picked up.

I did this with a stupid owner of a rottewieller who could not control the dog, and thought it was cute that it barked and chased cyclists....when I brought the dog back she was in tears....and next time had a leash.
    I can see why that would work on the owner, but it sounds like a method for training dogs to chase bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I've been having back pain recently. Yesterday was really bad. I could barely signal for a turn and pedal at the same time. I'm not sure if there is one single cause or if there were a number of factors involved. For one, the straps on my backpack were not quite even. I know this last bout with pain was caused when I was pedaling really fast downhill, which is kind of weird. I think the combination of the straps and my backpack being heavier and fuller because of the clothing I have to shed on the way home were contributors. Also, my seatpost had been slipping, which encouraged a more erratic pedaling motion. Now that I have a new seat clamp and my straps are set to the same length, I won't have as much of a problem.
    Hope it feels better, s0ck. Back stuff is weird. When I had tailbone pain, it was actually caused by a lumbar problem, which I never would have guessed.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmillen View Post
    There is a bloke i see in the mornings on my commute who is riding to work in a short-sleeved shirt. Seems fine until you know that the average temp is -4C (mid 20's F). Funny thing is he doesn't even look cold, says hi in a not-out of breath way too. Must be bred differently to me.......
    Can't wait to hear what he wears when it gets hot out.

mtbr member
    I've been looking out the window all day watching a weather system move in between the mountains, hoping it'd wait until after I left for the day to actually get here. So I went to Weather Underground to check the temp and as I did so, took another look out the window. Weather's here. Light snow with a northerly wind. Good times.

Normally there are mountains in these views...

photo2

photo1