Page 358 of 428 FirstFirst ... 258308348354355356357358359360361362368408 ... LastLast
Results 17,851 to 17,900 of 21384
    No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Nice work.
    That's a lot of food!
    I'd never be able to ride with that sloshing around inside me. The last century I rode/raced I ate 2 Powerbars and 2 chocolate chip cookies.
    Our SAG was pretty sparse (especially in the beginning) so for 100 miles I started with a cliffbar, had an apple, bagel, salted nut roll, 2oz of salted almonds, two bananas and 8 bottles of water. Post ride was a summer sausage sandwich and yogurt. Dinner was chicken enchiladas, rice and beans and two beers. We had lots of heat issues because folks didn't plan on SAGs not having something with sodium in it (usually see gatoraide, pickles, pickle juice, and salted peanuts). I toured between gas stations for so long I could probably live a month and never stop anyplace bigger than a regular Cenex station.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Food consumed today so far:

Pre ride - 3 egg omelette with cheddar cheese & sriracha
    Ride - 1 White Chocolate Macadamia Clif Bar
    Ride - 1 Jet Blackberry GU
    Ride - 1 bacon cheeseburger w/fries
    Ride - 2 glasses Diet Coke
    Ride - 1 small bowl of vanilla ice cream
    Ride - 1 snack size Oreo Flurry @ McDonald's
    Ride - 1 White Chocolate Macadamia Clif Bar
    Ride - lost track of how many bottles of water were consumed. If I had to guess it would be in the double digits at least.
    Post ride - ???? Gotta get some dinner going.
    Rub it in. I could eat the burger patty and bacon and drink the water. No idea How I am going to ride metric 100's. I can't have anything normally served but water at the SAGs. I guess I will have to haul salad and pears and eat a lot of meat at breakfast.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Nothing much going here. I mean with such a short commute there's little room for error. I still walk half the time and just ride after work or for errands and bumming around on Saturdays.

Speaking of food, I'm starting to realize I should carry food in my pack or something because there have been a number of times lately I don't plan on riding long and then just decide to keep going. Usually the mileage doubles. I'll plan just Michigan and back, about thirty miles. Nope, closer to 70 because I just didn't stop. I had eaten a spoonful of peanut butter and liter of water that day until I turned around after my half way mark. Fortunately I stopped for a polish and some ice cream but I was feeling really energy deprived before that.

Put a new chain on the single speed today... Only fudged it a little bit when I accidentally took a half link off of what I meant to and bent a piece. Then I used my chain tool to put links from the excess in its place. We'll see how long that lasts! Probably will break on my next grocery run.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Commute in was good, I'd fixed the guard rattles so all was quieter than usual.

Must have punctured just before work as when I went to leave I had a flat in the front. Thought I'd see if I could get an idea of where the leak was before removing so pumped the tyre. It wouldn't take any air at all, no pressure. Had a look around the tyre but nothing. I couldn't understand how I got such a flat with seeming no damage to the tyre.

Duly removed the wheel and tube and pumped it again. Found the hole, on the rim side of the tube?!?!?!? Seems the rim tape had given up and the tube had tried to file the spoke hole in the v-rims and left a kind of half hole punched hole. Never carry a spare tube so patched the holed one and went in search of insulation tape. Found some, green and yellow stripe, sweet......
    Put it all back together. Tyre was poorer, and older, than I thought, to the point that some of the rubber peeled off the sidewall leaving just the threads!!??!! Got home ok.

In the car today hoping the Schwalbe Marathon plus I ordered turns up soon. Probably be back on the mtb tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Today was bike commute number 118 for the year. Not that important of a number except that I've driven 18 times this year putting the bike 100 commutes ahead of the car.

It wasn't a conscious decision but I think I'm a full time bike commuter at this point. Haven't driven since sometime in April and it's not because the weather has been nice...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Today was bike commute number 118 for the year. Not that important of a number except that I've driven 18 times this year putting the bike 100 commutes ahead of the car.

It wasn't a conscious decision but I think I'm a full time bike commuter at this point. Haven't driven since sometime in April and it's not because the weather has been nice...
    VERY NICE!

i myself have had my fatbike since three days after fathers day, and i have ridden to to work 6 days a week (11 miles each way) ever since... i think i have only driven 10 of those days due to flats and etc LOL

i guess i can call myself a commuter too haha, i get people in random stores saying "arent you that guy with the black and green HUGE tire bike?" lol.... i have also started a movement here at the VW/audi/porsche dealer where i work, started out with one dude riding a cruiser to work, NOW we have 6 or 7 people riding to work!!!

good stuff...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wagonguy1989 View Post
    VERY NICE!

......started out with one dude riding a cruiser to work, NOW we have 6 or 7 people riding to work!!!
    VERY NICE! ;o)) That is leading by example. In my office, it is the same. When I came into the team last year I was the only one out of 7, now two more commute regularly by bike. That makes 3 out of 7.

I set a new personal record -again- for the round trip but I do not know if it is worth anything, since the wind turned and I had a tailwind on both ways.

This morning I set off in shorts and t-shirt, since it was quite warm already. Although thunderstorms were forecasted I did not bring any raingear. So the ride home I got quite wet in the rain but it was so warm that it was allright. About halfway some guy overtaking me honked and showed me a thumbs up. So I gave him a thumbs up too, since I appreciated his gesture.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    the wind turned and I had a tailwind on both ways.
    Living the dream!
    I love when that happens. Unfortunately around here it is usually the opposite...double head/cross wind.

mtbr member
    Is very rare here too, first time in 2 years I guess. Headwind on both ways happens more often!! *bash*

BTW, am I the only one here who is just riding his bike to work? After weekends, everybody seems to have ridden at least half a century...

Moderator Moderator
    Cool reports today on coworkers catching bikecommuter fever, nice to hear! My rides were uneventful (other than a couple rude dump trucks, one on the jakes brakes just to be a jerk). I was lucky with the weather, cool and dry both ways, and missed a huge midday downpour with hail.

NDD
    Baby boy
    BrianMC, I should mention that people here still have never been jerks to me while commuting or just riding around. In fact I've told co-workers stories about incidents and they usually respond inn horror like "that happened here?" and are more than relieved to find it didn't. Maybe it's a great lakes thing because Michigan coast was the same way, except one driver in some beach resort type area who was from some southern state.

weirdo
    BTW, am I the only one here who is just riding his bike to work? After weekends, everybody seems to have ridden at least half a century...
    I`m with you, Dutchman

Up until about two years ago, I was a dedicated cyclist, logging several thousand miles per year worth of day rides, tours, and long trips to and from the supermarket with panniers stuffed with groceries on top of my commutes. For some reason I lost the urge, then I lost all conditioning, and am not willing to put in the time and effort to build myself back up again. I seriously doubt I`ll ever pedal 100 KMs in a single day again, so now I just ride to work and back. And only when it`s nice out and I feel good!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Is very rare here too, first time in 2 years I guess. Headwind on both ways happens more often!! *bash*

I am lucky to fit a ride in twice a week (no job to go to). The errand bike needs some major adjustments so has not turned a wheel this year. I tore up my left shoulder then the right hamstrings, so there was a hiatus. I plan on riding the local rides that are not in conflict with vacation just because they are worthy causes and I want them to thrive (I may do less than the maximum distance depending what I feel like.)

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    BrianMC, I should mention that people here still have never been jerks to me while commuting or just riding around.
    Last ride, I had a dolt (16-ish, and first day back at school?) in a late 50-s early 60's Jeep pickup (neat old vehicle but hardly comfy) pass me turning right and cutting the corner where I was turning. Later in the evening, with me on the way to a meeting in the Lincoln MKZ, he was oncoming and he did a double take (the handlebar mustache is fairly unique here). Maybe he realized I was not some person without a valid driver's license or a car. Whether he will not almost run me off the road if presented with the same situation remains to be seen. The guy who was behind him allowed me to turn showing that some people here are considerate even if it is to avoid scratching their paint.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    After a week in the mountains at the family cabin without internet, cell coverage or plumbing I am back in the saddle!

Well, kinda - I managed to get in a couple of short rides on vacation (even scored myself a KOM - but it isn't commuting so it doesn't count Doing a hilly 35km at 1100m+ altitude really does leave you short of breath! Especially the short steeeeeep punchy climbs. It was beautiful up there, though.

How was your commute today?-wp_20150731_001.jpg

Yesterday was nice - funnily enough. The forecast was predicting doom, gloom, rain and thunder but it held off all day (my wife was pissed at this on account of being a fair weather cyclist and taking the bus yesterday)... On the way home I had to stop for minor mech failures a couple times - mis aligned rear mech threw my chain off the cassette into the drop out / chain stay and locked my crank - that was a good one! Then my handle bars pivoted around like 5* or so in the stem which is a little frightening... Time for a minor overhaul, methinks...

This morning was wet. So much so that a local underpass on my route was flooded. The funny thing with standing water is that it looks deceptively shallow... I rode through slowly to find myself up to my cranks in water.

But at least no one was trying to kill me with their car. So thats ok at least.

Rodar & Dutchman - I'm with you guys too; before becoming a father I was doing 100+km of a weekend then riding to work in the week. Racing XC too. Now? Now the commute is my main ride. The same for the wife too. Just the odd trip out when it is nice weather with the little one in the bike trailer.

I suppose I'll get back to it one day - lets face it, my form was never great so it should be easy enough to get back there!

No one calls me Maurice.

I do about four group rides a year, otherwise if it's not on the way to/from work it doesn't happen. I do have some nice riding areas on the way, which helps break up the ride.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    A good ride in this morning. Took yesterday off and worked from home. Got a good run in yesterday and followed that up with two hours of trail work on the trails we've (VMBaH) have been building at Government Peak for the last two years. Good times.

Noticing a lot of maintenance needing to be done on my bike:
    Front wheel bearings (15K+ miles on them)
    Bottom Bracket bearings (1500 miles on them, maybe, but factory RaceFace bearings that generally die quickly - need to update with Enduro anyway)
    Brake pads, front and rear
    Freehub body - I have the part, just need to actually do the replacing. It still works, but has seized a couple of times on me, so is getting ready to take a bit ol dump, I'm sure.
    Chain and Cassette - I'm at the point where I can't change one without changing the other - third chain on this cassette.
    Front shifter - been running on a borrowed and crappy Alivio shifter circa 2005 for the last six months and dealing with bad shifting because I haven't wanted to buy a new shifter.

I just know when I show the list and the cost to the wife she is going to freak out since I just bought a new to me bike off CL a couple weeks ago somewhat with the idea that it would help reduce maintenance costs... Of course, that bike needs some work, too.

Still cheaper than maintaining two cars. Maybe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I always assumed, due to the nature of MTBR, at least most people would ride trails. Maybe not. No centuries for me, but I like to ride dirt whenever I can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    BEAUTIFUL COMMUTE TODAY

first time in 3 months it wasnt 80+ on my morning commute... perfect riding weather, no problems, no one tried to kill me.... always a good thing LOL

same as blockphi, notice my 100mm fatrim was BENT?!?! i guess im too hardcore for it LOL, should prolly stop doing staircase drops and whatnot on a sears bike, she just cant handle me hahahahaaa.....

and i need to grease everything again, been about 1k on mine

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I always assumed, due to the nature of MTBR, at least most people would ride trails. Maybe not. No centuries for me, but I like to ride dirt whenever I can.
    Since I started commuting my trail time has decreased significantly. A lot of my singletrack rides would be after work when my wife is working, but now by the time I get home I don't have time (or energy) to pack back up and take out the mtb. Part of that is also due to the fact the closest singletrack to work or home is at least 35 minutes. I don't ride recreationally as much as I'd like to but I get at least one fun ride in each week.

Speaking of which, sprinted home last night so I could eat dinner with my wife before riding out again. A friend and I rode downtown to meet up with our local advocacy group for a "Random Acts of Brightness" event. We set out as the sun was setting loaded with bags full of bike lights in search of people riding the streets at night with no lights. We provided each ninja we came across with a front and rear light for no charge. All they had to do was fill out a simple survey regarding how and why they ride to help with infrastructure planning. It was a fun night of urban riding and the reactions of the recipients was really fun to witness. Many of them couldn't afford to buy lights on their own.

It was an extra 40 miles after my 30 mile commute for the day and I didn't get home until midnight, so I took today off to rest and sleep in this morning. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nice rides today. Less traffic due to vacation period, nice temps and little wind. Simply a perfect day for cycling. Too bad I had to work 9 hrs today.

Well thanks for all your feedback. I used to be a mountainbiker too, but then came the house, the wife and the kids. In the end I sold the mtb after it was stuck in the basement collecting spiderwebs and dust for two years. Later in 2013 I got seriously sick most of the year which made me rethink my life and so I started cycling again. Time constraints hadn't gotten any better so commuting was the only option. My youngest one will be able to sit in a bike trailer soon so then I hope to slowly get back into dirt and touring.

And Kleebs: very good initiative handing out free lights AND getting valuable feedback.

mtbr member
    I ride a lot of trail on the weekends still, but don't ride as much during the week as I used to. When I lived in Anchorage it was super easy to pop off the commute route and onto some single track to mix it up a bit before finishing the ride home. Where I'm at now I could head over and ride single track on the way home, but the logistics of it don't work as well and riding with rack and pannier on ST isn't so much fun - always worried about the pannier breaking and falling off. During a good portion of the summer I hit the trails one to two nights a week coaching little ones and at least once a month I have a Friday night group ride that I lead, so I still have more trail time than some. I still consider myself a mountain biker first and a commuter second. Let's face it, commuting is fun, but riding trail is funnerer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Lookit all of these pedallin muckers!!
    Ain't been in in a dog's age and yall discussing SAGs and such... :P

Commuting's gone as usual for months. Been on a 26/700 cdale bad boy.
    Been diagnosed with CTCL. So I'm accepting being tired more often than not, but never let it stop me. Rode my mukluk in a couple times for kicks.
    They're moving my office in September (either right before I go on this year's tour, or right afterwards) and my commute's about to double in length. Functionally all uphill in the mornings, with mandatory kid pick-up/haul home in the evenings.
    Looking like life's gotten twice as hard this year.
    Been working on the motorcycle bit by bit, thinking it'll be necessary more than I'd ever hoped it would be.

Take it easy out there, friends.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Let's face it, commuting is fun, but riding trail is funnerer.
    Quoted for truth.

mtbr member
    Good ride today, more humid than anticipated though.

After my puncture debacle earlier in the week I was glad my new rubber arrived yesterday. New rim tape, tube and Marathon Plus in 28mm size. Had to adjust the guards to suit as was previously on a 23mm. So my hope is that with the Marathon Plus on the rear (32mm) that punctures will be a thing of the past. I'll still be carrying a tube, levers and pump though! Tyres look fairly fat but I'm a big ol' unit and the roads are not great so I thought this the better option.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Catching up on the thread at 4:13 am because I needed to get up at 4:30 to ride in for an early meeting so of course I woke up 45 minutes early for no reason. Riding the road bike today with the new Brooks C17 saddle today. Not a big fan so far, seems hard as plywood. Did meet a guy last night on the ride home who I helped about a year ago with a flat. He had a puncture on the inside of his tube from a burr wearing through the factory rim tape. I suggested two wraps of duct tape (in lieu of rim tape) which he installed as a stop gap until he could get some rim tape. A year later he was surprised that it was still working. I've got a pair of wheels I build over 30 years ago with duct tape. Pretty sure they're on their first application of duct tape still.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Let's face it, commuting is fun, but riding trail is funnerer.
    Worth a second quote.

And ties into my commute home yesterday. I had to take a different route due to some road construction and on my way in passed a new but tiny trail network that opened this spring that I had not heard of.
    On the way home I stopped to ride it and had a blast exploring on my road race bike...700x21 tires at 140psi. There's nothing like navigating roots and rocks and super loose dirt on those. It brought me back to my childhood and the first trail riding I did which was also just messing around on hiking trails with road bikes

mtbr member
    Good ride in this AM even though I am destroyed! Yesterday the wife and kids came into town for a team night at the local running shop - discounts on shoes? We're in! So I rode over and met them. Then we drove down the road an hour to Girdwood so my son and I could run the Northface trail in preparation for an upcoming race on that course. 2.2 miles and 2000 feet of elevation gain. No biggie at all... Fun run, though it did take us a touch longer than we had planned. As the trail is at a ski resort they have a mountain top restaurant and gondola that serves it and, if you hike up the mountain you can ride down for free, so we took advantage of that. Got home at 11:00PM, in bed and asleep by midnight. Up at 3:55AM to make the bus on time. Going to be a long day!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    20 Miles this morning! feels great, took me 1hr20mins.... and yes, on my fatty, got my second captiv8or installed, and OMG..... its as smooth as a roadbike,but with 3.5in wides lol....

i still think i need a bigger front chainring, i could use the extra 3-4 mph haha...

weather wasnt too bad too, nice a crisp (for once), when i get home, it will be 31 miles for the day! figured id get some conditioning in for my 38 mile fondo next month!

i told the guys at work how long it took and they were all like............ you crazy man! lol

mtbr member
    Phew warm again today - almost 90F on the way home. Nothing else to report ;o))

Tomorrow temps will go down a bit, "only" 85F is forecasted :-/ And in addition, some thunderstorms again. We'll see.

My new right pedal has developed a clicking sound during riding. I read about it in the reviews already, I think that is why Shimano gave them the name "Click'r". I will check cranks and pedals next weekend.

mtbr member
    I had one of those rides where the wind is decent (behind) outbound but then a front comes in and the ride back always seems to be in the teeth of more wind than you had outbound as treed lots, buildings and landscape shift the wind over about 90 degrees so no matter how the road bends (except one fast climb) the wind is in our teeth . Averaged over 19 mph outbound (slightly downhill, too) rarely over 120 pulse rate. Had a hard time breaking 14 on the way back except the one big downhill (hit 30 mph). Beat my recent average by 0.3 mph.

Pet Peeve: Being passed just before the crest of a blind hill where neither I nor the overtaking driver can see if anyone is oncoming. (Last 2 rides). I figure I will be broadsided into the next county if there is, one of these days. Schmucks can't wait about 15 seconds? They don't understand that their actions put our lives on the line so they can save a few seconds. Be funny if would be a Deputy oncoming and there wasn't time for them to shift right. But maybe not. My luck I would get charged for impeding traffic or something stupid.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Pet Peeve: Being passed just before the crest of a blind hill where neither I nor the overtaking driver can see if anyone is oncoming. (Last 2 rides). I figure I will be broadsided into the next county if there is, one of these days. Schmucks can't wait about 15 seconds? They don't understand that their actions put our lives on the line so they can save a few seconds. Be funny if would be a Deputy oncoming and there wasn't time for them to shift right. But maybe not. My luck I would get charged for impeding traffic or something stupid.
    I tell people about this on a frequent basis. I'm even a pretty slow driver since having found out the hard way that I'd rather not pay for speeding tickets. It's not only annoying and dangerous, but it's also senseless. Anyone can think of 15 seconds they totally wasted sometime on any given day. So they don't need it that bad. Besides, 15 seconds is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's about cognitive limitations I think. People can how little this changes their life.

Tl;dr: 15 seconds is definitely not a big deal. People will never realize that and so they will continue to put lives in danger in the name of having no time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I can vouch for the tape thing, Forester - as complete noob mistake I only bought one roll of rim tape for my new commuter wheels. I didn't realise that one roll = one rim.

So the back wheel is nicely taped up with rime tape (don't ask which brand - I wasn't really paying attention). The front rim is taped up with doubled up painters masking tape.

So far so good...

No ride for me today - we are staying at the in-laws (about a five minute walk from the office) as we are selling our apartment and it is impossible to keep the place clean and tidy for the prospective buyers to view with our 2 year old tornado of destruction (aka our daughter) running around...

mtbr member
    I had rim tape issues as well, causing me several flats. I wrote about it earlier here. After I got the tip, I ducttaped the rear rim (all flats were on the rear wheel) and since then it is holding up so far. Based on what I read here, I believe it will hold for a long time.

OT ("on-topic"): nice ride in this morning, nice temp and no wind. Forecasted thunderstorms are most likely gone when I go home. First one ist approaching now, I can see the dark side approaching.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You're most likely being hit with the same horrible weather we are getting here in Oslo... One minute clear with a light overcast - next minute BOOM! Thunder! Lightning! A brief cold shower with your clothes on! Then clear again for an hour or so, rinse, repeat...

mtbr member
    Damn this bike is fighting me all the way. Bottom bracket came loose again this morning despite adjustment last night. Looks like the drive side thread may be fubared as the cup is working it's way out :-( Maybe a cartridge will sort it, might have to try a threadless one. I'll try and leave on time to get to the LBS on the way home and see what they say.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It might not be a permanent solution, but maybe try loctite next time you tighten it down?
    It might do until you get around to figuring out a more permanent fix??

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    Lookit all of these pedallin muckers!!
    Ain't been in in a dog's age and yall discussing SAGs and such... :P

Commuting's gone as usual for months. Been on a 26/700 cdale bad boy.
    Been diagnosed with CTCL. So I'm accepting being tired more often than not, but never let it stop me. Rode my mukluk in a couple times for kicks.
    They're moving my office in September (either right before I go on this year's tour, or right afterwards) and my commute's about to double in length. Functionally all uphill in the mornings, with mandatory kid pick-up/haul home in the evenings.
    Looking like life's gotten twice as hard this year.
    Been working on the motorcycle bit by bit, thinking it'll be necessary more than I'd ever hoped it would be.

Damn, Byknuts. That really sucks
    I had to look up CTCL. Wiki only mentions skin issues, but I guess it saps your energy like most other cancers? What kind of treatments are you looking at? Cheers to you for continuing with your Thunder Bay ride (guessing that`s the tour you mentioned).

Animo, friend.
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Maybe a cartridge will sort it, might have to try a threadless one.
    Maybe. But it won`t look as COOL without those beautiful lockings!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    It might not be a permanent solution, but maybe try loctite next time you tighten it down?
    It might do until you get around to figuring out a more permanent fix??
    Thanks for that Ghost, I think I'll give it a go, nothing to lose really.

guy
    Thanks for that Ghost, I think I'll give it a go, nothing to lose really.
    A local shop in town recommended teflon tape that plumbers use for the threads on bottom brackets as the best way to avoid developing a click in the bottom bracket and to keep it from backing out of the threads.

guy
    Also, commute in this morning was great. Weather was comfortable with no wind and I actually had another cyclist on my route today! That's very rare for me. He was clearly on a recreational ride because he had very little gear. We chatted for a bit and then I passed to continue to work. Big pet peeve of mine: I was stopped at a stoplight a half mile or so from where I caught and passed the other cyclist and he comes rolling through, sees the intersection is clear (though the light is still red) and runs the light. Now I have to pass the guy again when the light turns red.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Damn this bike is fighting me all the way. Bottom bracket came loose again this morning despite adjustment last night. Looks like the drive side thread may be fubared as the cup is working it's way out :-( Maybe a cartridge will sort it, might have to try a threadless one. I'll try and leave on time to get to the LBS on the way home and see what they say.
    I eventually epoxied my bottom bracket cups in....I just pull the bearings know...

I had the very first press fit bearing standard....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post

Been diagnosed with CTCL. So I'm accepting being tired more often than not, but never let it stop me.
    Take care of yourself.....I hope aerobic exercise is a positive thing for your disease.

mtbr member
    You're most likely being hit with the same horrible weather we are getting here in Oslo... One minute clear with a light overcast - next minute BOOM! Thunder! Lightning! A brief cold shower with your clothes on! Then clear again for an hour or so, rinse, repeat...
    Yes the radar showed a narrow but long band of clouds, slowly lengthwise creeping over the city...but I was lucky, on the way home they had passed and the weather turned out to be pretty good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    A local shop in town recommended teflon tape that plumbers use for the threads on bottom brackets as the best way to avoid developing a click in the bottom bracket and to keep it from backing out of the threads.
    This is actually a better idea. The tape will pull out of the bb threads more easily than it would be to go digging out errant loctite, when it comes to making a permanent fix. Good call, Kleebs! Back when I was a car & truck mechanic we used this stuff on the threads of brake pipe fixings, banjo bolts and leaky injectors to make sure they didnt back off (loosen) due to vibration etc. It should be available in motor factors \ hardware shops.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This is actually a better idea. The tape will pull out of the bb threads more easily than it would be to go digging out errant loctite, when it comes to making a permanent fix. Good call, Kleebs! Back when I was a car & truck mechanic we used this stuff on the threads of brake pipe fixings, banjo bolts and leaky injectors to make sure they didnt back off (loosen) due to vibration etc. It should be available in motor factors \ hardware shops.
    Been there done that.....ended up glued in.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Good commute today. Went out of the way coming home to drop by the bike shop. Got a Nite Rider USB rechargable light for my rear. I'm so done with disposable batteries.

It hasn't been very hot and it's been sunny. This is just perfect outdoor weather.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Damn, Byknuts. That really sucks
    I had to look up CTCL. Wiki only mentions skin issues, but I guess it saps your energy like most other cancers? What kind of treatments are you looking at? Cheers to you for continuing with your Thunder Bay ride (guessing that`s the tour you mentioned).

Animo, friend.
    Can't say it any better than Rodar did. Hang tough Byknuts, sorry you are going through this.

Moderator Moderator
    A non-bike report after a tough day here in Barre... a social worker was gunned down when leaving work. The shooter was reportedly a woman whose kid was taken away after a child welfare investigation and hearing. Just terrible. VT is so small that one of my neighbors was with the victim when she died, another is on call to counsel coworkers, and my former boss was friends with the victim. I was still at work when it happened and was unaware until later. So sad and mad. Vt. DCF worker shot and killed in Barre - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Can't say it any better than Rodar did. Hang tough Byknuts, sorry you are going through this.
    You guys are awesome. thanks!
    Caught it early, treatment's not half bad, but it'll never go away apparently, so right now I'm looking at dying with it, not of it. It zaps my energy quite a bit, here I thought I was just getting old! Anyways, I just gotta keep on keeping on, not much else to it.

The tour this year's a bit over 900km. Way shorter than Thunder Bay to Toronto, but still a decent distance.

Anyways, back to business, anyone successfully studded a slick, like a schwalbe supermoto/big apple, for winter commuting?
    I'm aiming at running my cargobike for kid-picking up duties, and thinking about my options. Can buy new studded tires (my old ones are getting pretty close to toast) but I'm having a tough time reconciling the costs this year.
    I'm also tempted to stud up the Michelin Hot S simply because they're bright red and that helps with visibility on the roads.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!