Page 358 of 597 FirstFirst ... 258 308 348 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 368 408 458 ... LastLast
Results 8,926 to 8,950 of 14923
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Ay, Chihuahua! From the speeds you sometimes post, you sound like a pretty fast rider- have you had the extra appendage for long enough to get an idea what it does to your crusing speed?
    Not so fast lately. Running about 3 mph slow. Part is winter dress. Part is more accurate computed distances and times (iBike versus odometer). Part is struggling to regain fitness and get weight back down and dealing with the aftermath of pushing the detox meds a bit too hard. Some improvement recently.

I rode the test for a half hour in winds from 10 to 20 gusting to 25 plus. The angles of the wind, trees and buildings seemed to conspire to make a perpetual head wind from low to near gale even though I was riding laps in the neighborhood. Likely some added drag but not as much as a handle bar bag. Averaged 13 mph. Still, a setup I don't plan on using much. The low seat stay mount is more artistic, safer, lower drag, if not as good a view of the road ahead. It was no-cost. So that is fine.

BrianMc

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Schott & MTXB, we might have to pick someplace central to all of us (N.Conway area?) and go for a fatbike ride.

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Bedwards - go for the fattie! You'll never regret it. Heck, you might even retire your other bikes completely. I picked mine up at REI back in May last year for right around 1300. Best money I ever spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Did you buy it yet? Looks like a good deal....
    Waiting to hear if the Bike Stork made a delivery to southern Maine. I`m betting that`s a big YES. Seems inevitable
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Well, Bedwards? Sorry iI wasn't reading this weekend to be part of talking you into a fat bike, but since you rode one,I 'm assuming you bought it. It's time. We went over toBurke and rode yesterday, a friend rented, trails were a blast. I take for granted how much snow we have in the Whites.
    Well of course I bought it. Y'all know I don't have any willpower when it comes to not buying bikes. Actually it is still on demo but I'm not making the trip back to the bike shop I took it out for about 15 miles in pretty much blizzard conditions and it worked just about as I expected. I was moving pretty slow by the end in the fresh powder. The lakes were crazy with whiteout conditions.
    How was your commute today?-2013-02-17-10.43.02.jpg

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

I think I'm central to you both, lol. I'm always game, but I'd have to get a fat friend to drive/join us. You mean you bike commuters own cars? I do, but it is winterized, and won't be set free until after a few good rain storms this spring. Too much salt on the road for classic VWs.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Yes, that would be fun. I do indeed have a car in addition to the bikes.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Well of course I bought it.
    We`re all so surprised, Hahahaha!

Oh, you took a cue from CommuterBoy and camouflaged it against the white snow. Nice

Pogies on the way?
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    LOL, Berlin isn't central to anywhere I have plenty of cars, about 2 more then I normally drive. I actually bought a new one because Chevy was offering soo much off.

I'm game for meeting in N Conway or somewhere in the vicinity. I'm guessing there are some good trail systems there. I'm fairly open in timing including tomorrow. Let's take it to PM or a new thread here: Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    This isn't so much about how one commute has been, more just how the past few years have been. I have been working full-time and in graduate school full-time since my last post. I commuted on an off on the days I did not have class, which was usually only two days a week. Of those two days, I only had the energy to commute about 15% of them. Mostly I would commute those couple days for several weeks. Then get worn out and life would get too hectic for a few months, then back to commuting for a couple of weeks and so on. Working 50 hours a week and taking 9 hours of graduate courses made for little time for the bike. I was at least glad to be getting in a few rides here and there.

I took a new job and I finished graduate school this year. I was very excited. I tuned the commuter up for daily use again. I joined a gym in my office building so I can shower. You really can't get away with not having a shower in New Orleans during Summer if you are a professional. I commuted about 4 times a week and transported clothes the other day.

about two weeks into this schedule my dog tore her ACL. She had surgery and is on the mend. My wife cannot carry the dog outside to go to the restroom on her own, so that puts a kibosh on my commuting again. I either can't work late (which is impossible as accountants are very busy this time of year), or I have to come home on lunch and take care of the dog with her. My wife offered to come pick me up at lunch everyday, but that defeats the purpose of commuting. I did not take her up on it, as it seemed silly. In retrospect, I wish I would have though.

After tomorrow I will be able to commute again! The route is great. All neighborhood, except for two areas where I am on busy streets.

mtbr member

Crazy weather last week

Made for interesting commutes. Monday morning was very light flurries that morphed into steady snow by quitting time. Visibility on the ride home was terrible, fresh powder everywhere, stupid drivers all over the road and my mantra became "this was a stupid idea...this was a stupid idea". Of course the snow petered out about 30 minutes after I got home. Tuesday was frozen road snot. Wednesday the skies cleared and the winds howled. Now all that's left is scattered patches of old snow, until the next storm rolls in Tuesday night. I'm ready for winter to be done and to get the studs off...miss the sense of speed with the slicks, not this feeling of Velcro. But weather issues aside it hasn't been too bad.

Here's a pic from Tuesday morning:

Lonely snow covered road. Eerily still and quiet. Ride has just begun. #commutebybike #bikehaiku by Spatialized, on Flickr

Yeah, that road is solid ice.
    Last edited by Spatialized; 02-17-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: need to proofread

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    ...Visibility on the ride home was terrible, fresh powder everywhere, stupid drivers all over the road and my mantra became "this was a stupid idea...this was a stupid idea". ...
    I've had those rides. But due to a recent turn of events, I'm not quite ready for winter to be over just yet.

Welcome codwater.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    Made for interesting commutes. Monday morning was very light flurries that morphed into steady snow by quitting time. Visibility on the ride home was terrible, fresh powder everywhere, stupid drivers all over the road and my mantra became "this was a stupid idea...this was a stupid idea". ..
    :
    Glad you made it home safe. I think we're often more prepared than the drivers, which can be a good feeling, but also scarey.

Quote Originally Posted by codwater View Post
    This isn't so much about how one commute has been, more just how the past few years have been. ..
    After tomorrow I will be able to commute again! The route is great. All neighborhood, except for two areas where I am on busy streets.
    Woohoo, pedal on! Points awarded to your wife for offering, and hope the pup continues to heal up.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Not so fast lately. Running about 3 mph slow. Part is winter dress. Part is more accurate computed distances and times (iBike versus odometer). Part is struggling to regain fitness and get weight back down and dealing with the aftermath of pushing the detox meds a bit too hard. Some improvement recently.
    BrianMc
    It would be interesting to test the accuracies on a measured mile. Unfortunately, around here I think I've only seen one on the interstate... I'm sure you will speed up some with spring weather, at least when it's not windy... It's quite amazing to me how had it is to lose weight, I console myself with thinking of how much I would be gaining if I weren't riding... Boy, those fenders are SHINY!

mtbr member
    It would be interesting to test the accuracies on a measured mile. Unfortunately, around here I think I've only seen one on the interstate... I'm sure you will speed up some with spring weather, at least when it's not windy... It's quite amazing to me how had it is to lose weight, I console myself with thinking of how much I would be gaining if I weren't riding... Boy, those fenders are SHINY!
    Previous estimates used a vehicle calibrated with 50 miles of interstate mile markers. Mapquest distances matched pretty well. The Apple bike program was optimistic and could read 12 % high for speed. Some comes from a slow roll up to a stop counting with the iBike, whereas, i could account for that with manual timing. I get some consolation by not gaining weight, at least. Muscles are toning up (pain) so some fat loss is being offset by heavier muscle gain. Gold is seen better so it is part of visibility and bling.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Nice, Codwater! By then, hopefully all the streets will be clear of Mardi Gras craziness. Does it affect the whole city?

Brian, how much longer do you expect to be affected by that treatment?

You guys have me thinking about measured miles. I`m not sure how trustworthy the mile posts are, but I know of one particular stretch of road where I know for sure that they were all carefully surveyed- my dad got me a job as a gofer on the survey crew for a realignment and major repave of a 56 mile stretch the summer that I came home from the army. It`s a very desolate road, with a lot of long straights, so should be perfect for that kind of thing. Xplorer, don`t discount interstates for riding. As long as its the only route in a certain area, they`re legal to ride in most states. You can probably check to see how VT`s laws about that go if you don`t already know. I`ve ridden a few stretches of I-80 and it wasn`t totally awfull.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice, Codwater! By then, hopefully all the streets will be clear of Mardi Gras craziness. Does it affect the whole city?
    Yeah, it is affected, but really does not affect commuting by bike. They get it cleaned up right away, although you will see bead remnants throughout the year. The bad part is that bead strands are held together by metal pins that tend to get exposed as the remnants whether and fall apart. I got a flat due to one after a parade a few weeks ago. I checked my seat bag for my air and spare. I had forgotten to pack a spare so I called the wife for a ride.

mtbr member
    Nice, Codwater!
    Sorry, forgot the welcome.

Brian, how much longer do you expect to be affected by that treatment?
    Another 2 years, minimum. I can't handle more than an eighth of the dose I should end at. I increased too fast and am just now back on June's dose level.

Xplorer, don`t discount interstates for riding. As long as its the only route in a certain area, they`re legal to ride in most states.
    Illegal in Indiana and Ohio. I get a taste of it with the four-lane. Lots of other roads.

BiranMc

mtbr member
    Nice commute this AM. We got some new snow last night along with some winds, so the trails were fairly nicely blown over, but still fast rolling. A bit colder this AM than in the past few weeks. 13 F when I left my house. Amazing how much I notice a 6 degree drop in the temp now that I am acclimated to 22, which has been the temp for the past few weeks in the AM.

mtbr member

Back down to 0 for the commute this morning. I do believe I am becoming a hearty soul. I'm loving the cold weather, wearing less layers, and riding harder. I have actually gained a little weight this winter, which is odd for me period. I figured out where it is, my legs. They're huge. I read an article the other day that eluded to not having to be superhuman to commute by bike, which I totally agree with...but it might turn you into one. Fat bike+commute+snow+(hills*lots)=I'm gonna have a great race season this summer.

Moderator Moderator
    Xplorer, don`t discount interstates for riding. As long as its the only route in a certain area, they`re legal to ride in most states. You can probably check to see how VT`s laws about that go if you don`t already know. I`ve ridden a few stretches of I-80 and it wasn`t totally awfull.
    That must be weird! The interstates here all have those "no pedestrians, bicycles, animals ridden, driven or led" signs at the entrance ramps. I did ride a few exits on a NH parkway (Franconia Notch) once on a poorly planned solo century. It was a killer hot day, and the worst part was no shade. I saw the signs but figured the worst they'd probably do was give me a ticket and a ride to the next exit. But no, I had to ride.

mtbr member

That must be weird! The interstates here all have those "no pedestrians, bicycles, animals ridden, driven or led" signs at the entrance ramps. I did ride a few exits on a NH parkway (Franconia Notch) once on a poorly planned solo century. It was a killer hot day, and the worst part was no shade. I saw the signs but figured the worst they'd probably do was give me a ticket and a ride to the next exit. But no, I had to ride.
    You do know that there is a nice bike path that runs the length of the notch...right?

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Yes, I've been on that a few times, pretty much the most fun you can have on a road bike if it's empty, with those hills and turns they would never put on a bike path today. Not sure what got into me that day.

weirdo
    That must be weird! The interstates here all have those "no pedestrians, bicycles, animals ridden, driven or led" signs at the entrance ramps.
    The NV laws say specifically that bikes are prohibited between Exit A and Exit B for Freeway X, but what it boils down to is no bikes on the freeways (Interstate or otherwise) in city areas. There are signs posted right before the last bike-legal exits that say all bicycles must exit.

In New England, are there surface roads to get to all the towns? Around here, they mostly built the interstate on top of the old highway, so the only way to get to many towns or even a few cities is via I-80 or many miles of dirt roads and sand traps. If there are a few paved roads from one town indirectly to another, it might very well be a few hundred miles worth of detour! I don`t know the wording of CA law, but it`s common practice to ride a 30 mile stretch of I-80 in order to cross the Sierra Nevada, and Adventure Cycling routes people on a few miles of I-5 near Mt Shasta.
    Recalculating....

OTB Pro
    Today was my first time commuting to campus. Picked up a new road bike on Friday for the very purpose of commuting and occasional road riding. Commuted 7 miles round trip to campus. Almost makes me want to go to class just to get out and ride a bike.

MTB, Road, Commuting

Smile It would have been a great day for a fatbike...

OK, it was a great morning on the fatbike. I would have been on the roads without it because of the new packed powder. Short post, got to work.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    As long as its the only route in a certain area, they`re legal to ride in most states.
    I think that it's opposite, rodar - it's not legal to ride interstates in most states. It's legal here in Washington State, outside of urban areas, and I think that holds in most Western States. But as you go east, bikes tend to be banned from Interstates. Oh, here is an article:

bicyclinginfo.org: Are bicyclists allowed to ride on interstates?

I've ridden the shoulder of I-90 over in Eastern Washington. It's a little scary at first, but the shoulder is wide and you soon get used to the trucks blasting by. The bigger issue is all the debris that collects on the shoulder.

The Redmond Cycling Club puts on the Cannonball every year, Seattle to Spokane in one day, and almost the entire ride is on I-90.

Cannonball

I Ride for Donuts
    Well, crap. Now I need a fatbike even more Looks like fun!

We got a dusting last night...made for cool pictures this morning
    the GoPro even snagged some critters as I went by.

How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg

How was your commute today?-picture2.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Previous estimates used a vehicle calibrated with 50 miles of interstate mile markers. Mapquest distances matched pretty well. The Apple bike program was optimistic and could read 12 % high for speed. Some comes from a slow roll up to a stop counting with the iBike, whereas, i could account for that with manual timing. I get some consolation by not gaining weight, at least. Muscles are toning up (pain) so some fat loss is being offset by heavier muscle gain. Gold is seen better so it is part of visibility and bling.

BrianMc
    A few years ago I dug up some articles on measuring marathon courses....the very best method was a calibrated wheel revolution counter on a bike. Beat out all the various GPS methods, laser surveying etc...

The bike rode a mesured 100m....and was calibrated..then the course was ridden....Then the bike rode a measured 100m and was recalibrated...the distance was then calculated by averaging the two calibrations....and the course adjusted with a tape measure,

The basic reason for highest accuracy was the bike rode the course in a manner similar to the the runner, so the measured path was an arc rather than truncated straight lines.