Page 355 of 538 FirstFirst ... 255 305 345 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 365 405 455 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,875 of 13440
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    It was a snowstorm. We've had them before, we'll have them again. Overall we got about 30" that varied from none to 4' drifts. I was really surprised that we didn't have more power outages 'cause the wind was HOWLING! But the snow was really light. The 30" of light fluffy stuff would have been more like 12" of wet heavy stuff. It did make for some good XC skiing. These trails were totally bare on Friday morning.

How was your commute today?-560132_4945885658696_2017487793_n.jpg

Singletrack:

How was your commute today?-537078_4945885498692_1019347858_n.jpg

mtbr member
    We had a manageable 1', but it really helped out the ski areas when southern New England knew the storm was coming, school would be closed Friday, etc., so they got out of Dodge and came up here to ski. At 1 ski area, Friday was the biggest non-holiday weekday ever.

This morning's ride was pretty speedy, which was good, because I got a late start after hitting the snooze, reading e-mail, and the foster dog reading the p-mail. It was supposed to be rising temps and an icy mix, but so far it has only been snow. My glasses has an awful film of dried salt spray on them by the time I got to work. It was supposed to get up to 40F, but they've revised that to 33 for my ride home, so maybe it won't be as sloppy as I expected.

mtbr member
    Slow one today. Took my just over an hour to make it 4.5 miles. A system came through last night and dumped quite a bit of fresh pow - about a foot, I'd guess. Made for a heavy bike, but a nice ride. I'm ready for a nap now!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Yup, 4.5mph can be a little discouraging.

We were supposed to get rain and have a high of 45. It's made it all the way up to 23 now with 4" of so so far. I'm going to have to stick to the back roads as much as possible on the way home and walk across the lake with 3 feet of snow on it, not ideal. I was counting on the rain to solid up the trails, herumf.

mtbr member
    ^^ That sounds rough, hope you made it home OK. Maybe I misunderstood, I thought your wife worked in the same building, she won't give you a ride?

I was lucky on the way home. The roads were sloppy and my dirt road was greasy with snow, but the most I got was some mist, and when I got home I talked to a friend maybe 25 miles away as the crow flies, and it was pouring there.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

I couldn't figure out why I was soooooo cold on my way in this morning...it wasn't that cold out, but I just grinned and carried on. When I went to put my jacket back on to go home I noticed that I had the air conditioning on full blast (pit zips fully open) from my ski yesterday. We skinned up the Cog railway on Mt Washington.... I needed the AC. It rained for a second on my way to get my hairs cut, but had cleared out by the time I was done for the ride home. Could possibly have another biggen on the way this weekend!! Fingers crossed.

mtbr member

Looking back on today's ride.

Snow long gone. 51 F and Windy. 20-30 with some gusts over 40. So I avoided the open areas where the wind always seems to be 10 mph over the forecast.

Resurrected the POV camera that had the lens over cover shatter. Mounted it CB style but the mount apparently vibrates a bit.

I like the Dali-esque effect,or is that just the wind?

Here comes the sun!

This guy was shadowing me at times today.

I can adjust the mount out some so it sees past my leg more and will try to take some of the bounce out of it. Curious how overtaking traffic will look.

BrianMc

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Motorpaced on the way to work. Had a super long shower at the end, and felt great for doing it. Did a fast, hilly ride on the way home which made me feel happy. No shitty drivers to make me feel bad either! Today was a good day. The worst part was that there was rain mist, and really in the grand scheme of things, when the east is copping snow storms, etc. rain mist is a walk in the park.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ That sounds rough, hope you made it home OK. Maybe I misunderstood, I thought your wife worked in the same building, she won't give you a ride?

I was lucky on the way home. The roads were sloppy and my dirt road was greasy with snow, but the most I got was some mist, and when I got home I talked to a friend maybe 25 miles away as the crow flies, and it was pouring there.
    She works a different schedule from me but did some local errands and came back to get me. The roads were a mess. It's like they didn't really expect 4" of wet snow so they didn't bother to clean it up. I had to take the truck today 'cause they are still about the same. We never did get any rain but it is supposed to be warm today.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I like the Dali-esque effect,or is that just the wind?
    or your rims really need to be trued.

Big snow this weekend?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Fixed a persistent creak over the weekend! Ever since I built my TI commuter, I have had a creak when I stand on the pedals to crank up a hill. I've tried every remedy that I could think of. Finally over in the Bike Forums mechanics forum I read about another guy who had a similar problem and he fixed it by wrapping Teflon tape around the threads of his external bearings. I thought "why not?" and over the weekend I pulled my bearings, cleaned them up and reinstalled them with Teflon tape on the threads. Creak gone! Yay!

I had an encounter with an over-polite motorist this morning. Four-way intersection and I had the red light. Car approaching from the right had the green. I went into slow-creep, kinda trackstand mode waiting for the car to clear and then I was going to ride through the intersection. It was 4:45am and there were no other cars in sight - I ride through this light every morning after checking for cross traffic. Anyway, the gal in the car slows down and actually comes to a stop and starts waving me through the intersection. I look up and sure enough she has the green light, but she is stopped and waving me to cross! Why can't she just go? After I got over my initial shock I just thought "screw it" and went through the intersection. I know that she meant well, but I always hate it when drivers don't act predictably.

mtbr member
    Warm enough to go hatless this morning! I could probably have lost the jacket too.

I Ride for Donuts
    Well yesterday turned epic after I realized that in addition to me having the day off, my wife was working all afternoon and childcare was already lined up... this combination of events never happens, and I took full advantage. 56.8 miles, 2537 ft of elevation gain. Just under 4 hours of glorious solitude. I couldn't bust out the shorts Rodar, but the weather was still pretty great... hovering around 40 degrees.

Started with a monster climb:How was your commute today?-picture7.jpg

topped out with a nice view:How was your commute today?-picture8.jpg

Obligatory summit sign shot: How was your commute today?-picture6.jpg

Then the questionable "will it be a mudfest" 1st dirt road section: How was your commute today?-picture5.jpg

Wide open spaces. I spooked a Golden Eagle in this area, eating a rabbit on the side of the road. Massive birds! How was your commute today?-picture4.jpg

Then I went looking for a new bike: How was your commute today?-picture3.jpg

Didn't find one. On to some Americana: How was your commute today?-picture2.jpg

Decisions, Decisions: How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Absolutely lovely ride report, CB! Was it a loop around Eagle Lake? I need to get up and try some of those roads one of these days- I bet 139 is really low traffic. You were moving pretty good. The climbing is similar to my Redrock loop and I can`t quite get the 62 mile version under 4 hours with skinny tires. With Apples or dirt detours, I don`t know what it would be.

I like the Dali rim
    Camera looks a lot bigger than I imagined it. Or maybe it`s Dallied too.

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Fixed a persistent creak over the weekend!

I had an encounter with an over-polite motorist this morning.
    Whoo, noise abatement program! I`m currently going nuts over an occasional squeel from my dynohub. Sounds like the seals, so I dripped a little Triflow around them, but it didn`t help. Unfortunately, the bearings are a "don`t touch" thing, so I dunno what else. At least it never makes any noise above about 25 degrees.

Overpolite drivers who want to give away their rights of way are kind of frustrating too. At a 2-way stop, where he driver doesn`t have a stop sign is not unusual, but I don`t think I`ve ever heard of one stopping at a green light. Good thing it was Oh-dark thirty, and didn`t back up any other traffic.
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    OH don't get me started on overpolite drivers. I've had them stop in the middle of an intersection on a green light, backing up traffic in their lane, while the other lanes keep going and the people behind them start honking, all the while thinking that they're doing the biker who's actually following the laws a big favor. It's horrible. Idiots.

Rodar, it was up 139 towards the north shore of Eagle, but then a right turn down a dirt road canyon back to the valley.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Nice ride CB. I'm still in winter mode where long rides like that aren't even on the radar. Although we did break the freezing mark for one of the few times in the last month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Absolutely lovely ride report, CB!
    Yes. Nicely done.

I like the Dali rim Camera looks a lot bigger than I imagined it. Or maybe it`s Dallied too.
    Check the rear rim's cubist side step and warped bottom. It isn't tiny but not that large. Just the camera phone in macro.

Compared to newer, smaller helmet cam:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They are set at the 0" mark, so the older one is 5.25" long, not the 14 inches or so it appears to be in the close up. I have inverted the mounting bracket for less torque on bounces hoping to reduce the funky effects. We don't have front plates, so reading them is not an issue.

Over polite drivers who want to give away their rights of way are kind of frustrating too. At a 2-way stop, where he driver doesn`t have a stop sign is not unusual, but I don`t think I`ve ever heard of one stopping at a green light. Good thing it was Oh-dark thirty, and didn`t back up any other traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    OH don't get me started on overpolite drivers. I've had them stop in the middle of an intersection on a green light, backing up traffic in their lane, while the other lanes keep going and the people behind them start honking, all the while thinking that they're doing the biker who's actually following the laws a big favor. It's horrible. Idiots.
    They are especially nice when sprinkled in with impatient, blind, and cyclist hating motorists! One 4-way stop intersection and I am over half way through when a car arrives to my right and the driver proceeds to go *then* looks (could be the bright helmet light aimed right at him got his attention?) then the next block and you are 100' away when the car to our left gets there and the driver doesn't go until you madly wave them through. They don't until you post. Then you have the dolt behind bunny tail them.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    You were moving pretty good. The climbing is similar to my Redrock loop and I can`t quite get the 62 mile version under 4 hours with skinny tires. With Apples or dirt detours, I don`t know what it would be.
    Strava said 14.7 for an average speed. Better than I thought it would be, especially with that climb... I was definitely not pushing myself up that, stopping for pictures and what-not. I got slow towards the end too... dragging. Should have brought more food.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Sweet pics, CB!

How many of you upload to Strava? I upload everything, commutes and all. Is there enough interest to form a MTBR-Commute Strava group?

I Ride for Donuts
    I only use Strava on 'fun' rides like that, or stuff I'm curious to map. For just mapping, I actually use MyTracks because it uploads to google maps if you want it to, and you can save the map file. So I'm not religious about using Strava at all.
    I don't generally record the commutes at all. Sometimes if I'm trying a new trail combination. I map them once so I know the distance, and that's about it.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Rodar, it was up 139 towards the north shore of Eagle, but then a right turn down a dirt road canyon back to the valley.
    I see a Rice Canyon Rd that goes from the summit to the prison, guess that was your southbound route? Looks pretty cool on sat images. I don`t recognize that sandwich shop- not on the highway? I used to stop at 7 Acres (RIP) in Litchfield for bread pudding every time I was out that way. Yum.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Great pix, CB, glad you were able to get away. We have a Bianchi St. as well, courtesy of the graniteworkers/sculptors I'm sure. I didn't ride today, had to pick up the BFL (big fat lab, 101 lbs) for dogsitting. So far he and the foster dog are doing great. Tomorrow the car is being inspected, so I will ride from the shop, which cuts off the 4 mile downhill and 4 mile uphill, which means the pups will have a shorter day at home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    got bored waiting behind the minivans and luxury sedans, turned onto the snow-covered grass and said "fuggit!" and shot across the parquette diagonally.
    hey, you know those slushie looking patches? ooh dang! a foot deep compared to the surrounding snow!! wet park ground dips up n down!
    packed the bb area and derailleur with nice icy slush! grinned like a moron anyways.

unimportant!
    the fun part? getting out of work and finding that it had not all fallen off as I'd hoped, but rather froze solid!
    HEHEHEHE!
    "FUGGIT!"
    pedal off and just watch the ice shards shatter off the chain and club their way through the derailleur cage.
    some days... world's just awesome.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

I Ride for Donuts
    I see a Rice Canyon Rd that goes from the summit to the prison, guess that was your southbound route? Looks pretty cool on sat images. I don`t recognize that sandwich shop- not on the highway? I used to stop at 7 Acres (RIP) in Litchfield for bread pudding every time I was out that way. Yum.
    Yep, and hang a left when you get to the bottom (prison), take that till it hits the highway in Litchfield, and you're basically in the parking lot of Heard's Market. Just a stone's throw from this (a treasure from my private collection...note the 'vintage' 916 area code ):

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2013-02-12-8.10.47-pm.png

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Sweet pics, CB!

How many of you upload to Strava? I upload everything, commutes and all. Is there enough interest to form a MTBR-Commute Strava group?
    I went so far as to make an account last summer. For the most part I can't be bothered with starting it every ride and it sucks my battery dry pretty fast.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Overpolite drivers who want to give away their rights of way are kind of frustrating too. At a 2-way stop, where he driver doesn`t have a stop sign is not unusual, but I don`t think I`ve ever heard of one stopping at a green light. Good thing it was Oh-dark thirty, and didn`t back up any other traffic.
    *cough cough*
    4-Way Stop, You Go. No You Go. No You Go. Guy - YouTube