Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How was your commute today?

3M views 28K replies 753 participants last post by  cyclingdutchman 
#1 ·
Well how was it?

Mine was good... hadn't been able to ride at all for the 10 days leading up to today, so it was a bit harder to get into the groove.

Forgot my battery pack for my big light, so I had to ride the last 5 miles on pothole ridden bikelanes with a little flasher.

Got honked at when I was as far right as I could be without getting doored.

All in all, it was a good commute... I ride alongside two different freeways (on a bike path) and get to see the traffic backed up for miles... People feverishly trying to type out their morning emails on their blackberry or looking ragged from sitting in traffic. Then I break away from the bike path and the traffic, and it all looks like a rat race in my rearview mirror.

#7,062 ·
Tube in the saddle bag for about the tenth time
Alright, you got me. I keep my tube in the saddlebag. Since I have bikes that take 3 different tube sizes I keep them with the bike. I would NEVER remember to swap it out every time in the pack and end up with a funny look on my face trying to use a 700x23 tube in a 26" tire.

Also, I don't want to rely on the tire-fixer app because what if my battery dies.:eek:

#7,063 · (Edited)
GET WITH THE TIMES!!! TIE YOUR CRAP ON YOUR BARS!!

OK I'll stop now.:nono:

PS I just finished my crock of BS lunch. I'm fairly certain it was cheaper than it would have been if I had purchased it. Looking forward to the extendo-Friday 18 miler.

#7,064 ·
50mph headwind gusts and rain stings a bit, especially with a sleeveless shirt. I could only manage 8-11 mph on flat ground heading directly into the wind. Also rode over an overpass (took the short route home) with a wicked crosswind at the top, that too was interesting.

Learned a few things on this trip

- I'd like wet weather shoes
- My crappy pedals are even worse when wet and trying to mash up a hill
- The drivers on my short route (on much busier 4-lane 45mph roads) lose their minds when it's raining and drive like they've never been behind the wheel before
- The aforementioned drivers like to try and splash you, even though you're already soaked and covered in road grime from having no fenders

On the flipside, with the wind at my back I managed to hit 22mph and hold it on an uphill section. :thumbsup:

#7,065 ·
- The drivers on my short route (on much busier 4-lane 45mph roads) lose their minds when it's raining and drive like they've never been behind the wheel before
- The aforementioned drivers like to try and splash you, even though you're already soaked and covered in road grime from having no fenders
I always like to imagine that Karma will catch up with those people and then they'll be sorry. Since in my mind Karma is a 12 foot tall gorilla covered in blue hair, breathes fire, and has no sense of humor towards those who mistreat us, especially on those nasty days when we're just trying to go home. :idea:

#7,066 ·
PS I just finished my crock of BS lunch. I'm fairly certain it was cheaper than it would have been if I had purchased it.
If you`re too lazy to dig up another wife who works in your building, just arrange for your laundry service to drop off your lunch while they`re swapping your clothes. They can just tie it to your bike so there`s no reason to track you down every day. Pull your head out, eh?

On the flipside, with the wind at my back I managed to hit 22mph and hold it on an uphill section. :thumbsup:
When you get a tailwind like that, it`s ALMOST enough to forget how much headwinds suck.

#7,067 ·
Finally back on the wagon after having BabyB_2...felt so great to bike commute to work, plus it was nice enough to roll Fat Friday. We recently had a "wind storm" as classified by NOAA with top gusts of 131 mph unofficially. We don't get hurricanes in Alaska...only "wind storms" HAHAH right, a million trees down, cars and houses crushed, power lost for days for some folks, the list goes on....fat was worth its weight today!

Broken bicycle trail after the storm, many more places along the tire with trees down like this.

#7,069 ·
PS I just finished my crock of BS lunch. I'm fairly certain it was cheaper than it would have been if I had purchased it. Looking forward to the extendo-Friday 18 miler.
Still a crock...where did you buy the dinner leftovers from a grocery store.....there it is...

You can eat the home left overs and home and luch left overs at work...if you have a fridge....

Your still stuck in a rut.

Same cost maybe even lower depends on coupons and sales etc.

#7,070 ·
You can eat the home left overs and home and lunch left overs at work...if you have a fridge....
If his work place is anything like mine, even if the food doesn't get eaten by "lounge scroungers" who are too cheap to buy their own food, then it'll get thrown out, at least in my workplace we have a strict policy of " All food MUST be labeled with name and date. Any food unnamed or more than 1 day old WILL be thrown away, NO EXCEPTIONS!". I brown bag it everyday as well but have made it known eating my lunch will result in loss of a limb of the perpetrator. :nono:

#7,071 ·
If his work place is anything like mine, even if the food doesn't get eaten by "lounge scroungers" who are too cheap to buy their own food, then it'll get thrown out, at least in my workplace we have a strict policy of " All food MUST be labeled with name and date. Any food unnamed or more than 1 day old WILL be thrown away, NO EXCEPTIONS!". I brown bag it everyday as well but have made it known eating my lunch will result in loss of a limb of the perpetrator. :nono:
Seems like a pretty low end place????

#7,072 ·
I like eating good food, so I pack my lunch every day and eat whatever we cook for dinner the night before. Today I have stir fry with pork and green beans. Good stuff. If I forget my lunch, I can walk over to Subway. No one touches my stuff. They know not to get between me and my food. I'm the skinniest guy here but I eat the more than anyone else in the office.

The temps are awesome. It was in the 50s this morning. I actually wore gloves to keep my hands worn. I need to wash those things. My hands stink.

#7,073 ·
I had my worst crash of the season this morning, and I was pushing the bike at the time!

It rained overnight and occasional sprinkles when I was trailriding, returning the New England roots and rocks to their now unfamiliar normal slippery state. At one uphill ledgy hill I didn’t make it up and got off to push up that section. My feet went right out from under me and I landed on a rock, luckily just above rather than on my elbow. The other landing point was the side of my leg mid-thigh. Owww…..

#7,074 ·
Still a crock...where did you buy the dinner leftovers from a grocery store.....there it is...

You can eat the home left overs and home and luch left overs at work...if you have a fridge....

Your still stuck in a rut.

Same cost maybe even lower depends on coupons and sales etc.
You got me there. Clearly two trips to the grocery store to buy things for completely different meals would be cheaper than one trip to the grocery store to buy stuff for one meal that would provide leftovers.

But the good news is that I can change my spending habits and fork over more money to get out of my rut. You, however, will always have bad grammar. :D

#7,075 ·
I had my worst crash of the season this morning, and I was pushing the bike at the time!

It rained overnight and occasional sprinkles when I was trailriding, returning the New England roots and rocks to their now unfamiliar normal slippery state. At one uphill ledgy hill I didn't make it up and got off to push up that section. My feet went right out from under me and I landed on a rock, luckily just above rather than on my elbow. The other landing point was the side of my leg mid-thigh. Owww…..
Sorry. Not as bad as in my imagination as it had you sliding and banging your way to the bottom before I got the the last two sentences read. So it could have been worse!

BrianMc

#7,076 ·
You got me there. Clearly two trips to the grocery store to buy things for completely different meals would be cheaper than one trip to the grocery store to buy stuff for one meal that would provide leftovers. Geez get a grip you go to the grocery store on a regular basis

But the good news is that I can change my spending habits and fork over more money to get out of my rut.Nope I don't think you can You, however, will always have bad grammar. :D
To deep a rut to see out of it.....

#7,077 ·
jeffscott, you ride bikes, and therefore I have a certain amount of respect for you. Clearly I am a retard for not doing it exactly like you do it, but the bottom line is we both do it. Arguing for argument's sake is questionably entertaining for a while, but certainly gets old. Don't take me changing the subject as accepting any sort of defeat, since obviously I'm almost as stubborn as you are, and I'm convinced I'm doing it right. How was your commute today? I saw a cow peeing. It was impressive.

MTBX, sorry to hear about the bumps and bruises. I haven't gone down in a while...probably due.

#7,079 ·
MTBX, hope you are OK.

JordyB, impressive photo that could be a fatbike ad.

We broke our consecutive days without rain streak here in Seattle...49 days. I actually had to put my rain gear on to ride to work this morning. But, it's supposed to clear right back up and be sunny and 70's by tomorrow - yay!

Rode down at Mt. St. Helens with the wife this past weekend. A very memorable ride!

(This is taken from the backside of St. Helens - the eruption blew out the other side of the mountain - that notch used to be a glacier that melted in the eruption - cool!)

(This one is looking up into the crater at Mt. St. Helens, that bulge you see is the lava dome rebuilding inside the crater.)