Page 353 of 611 FirstFirst ... 253 303 343 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 363 403 453 ... LastLast
Results 8,801 to 8,825 of 15253
    mtbr member
    Nice easy ride in this morning on the singlespeed.

Tomorrow will be a ~50km day, as I trek out to my least favorite meeting spot out in the boonies. At least the temperatures will be around freezing, and not -28C like last week.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I don't like showing up to work (or home) a muddy mess either.

rodar, you definitely should. The rocky coast of Maine is worth a look. If you an do them both, great. If you can only fit one, skip Portland and go straight for Acadia. Let me know when the date gets closer.

Funny, I checked back on my map link and you can see the moment I thought "I'm going to go take a picture of that rock. Any rock that you can see on google maps is pretty large.

I Ride for Donuts
    That same road has the best traction on the planet in the morning when it's frozen up... like sandpaper. Afternoons...not so much.

Rodar I remember your pics of that trip. Sweet area. I can't imagine doing what I did yesterday with anything extra to carry. Felt like riding in soft sand with two flat tires.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. A bit chilly over night so the trails firmed up really nicely and I made some good time. Just haven't been feeling it this week so far. Hopefully I get out of my funk soon.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Decent ride in this AM. A bit chilly over night so the trails firmed up really nicely and I made some good time. Just haven't been feeling it this week so far. Hopefully I get out of my funk soon.
    Diddo! Fast firm trails, temps in the 20's, all the singletrack along Chester and APU is fast right now! Solid commute in this AM!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Funny, I checked back on my map link and you can see the moment I thought "I'm going to go take a picture of that rock. Any rock that you can see on google maps is pretty large.
    Oh, yeah! Just to the right of that ski boat? If you`d have been just a wee bit slower, he`d have run right over you

Yeah, will put out the word before we leave. I plan to pack my folder to entertain myself while my wife and her sister are doing "girl stuff", so if we can manage to hook up, we can make each other feel fast.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Not quite as windy.Only about 10 mph. Too cold for spotted salamanders, but above freezing. Still slow, but still rolling. I am definitely not using all my bike's potential either, Rodar.

BrianMc

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Very cool photo with the rock! But I am still thinking about your earlier photo with the crack in the ice - dude, you are going to fall through

No riding for me this week - I was in Beijing earlier this week where the temperature was down to about 10F, but when I arrived in Taipei last night the temperature was about 75 degrees. Man this feels pretty good...

MTB, Road, Commuting

Bambi On Ice

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Yeah, will put out the word before we leave. I plan to pack my folder to entertain myself while my wife and her sister are doing "girl stuff", so if we can manage to hook up, we can make each other feel fast.
    Sounds good. Thre is plenty of good riding around Acadia too.

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Very cool photo with the rock! But I am still thinking about your earlier photo with the crack in the ice - dude, you are going to fall through .
    Nah. Those cracks were on a different lake. The one I ride every day in the dark is pretty predictable.

I did a full Bambi imitation not once but twice today trying to test my limits climbing some steep ice flows. I've seen people do it...I can't do it. Once the wheel spins out and I have to put my foot down I hit the ice like a sack of flower. Hardwood floors aren't the only thing those plastic bottomed boots are slippery on. One time I got off my bike and was "standing" and I just lost it and slid 20' down the flow with my bike in tow. I had one other crash going down an ice flow and also bashed my big ring trying to clear a rock I shouldn't have. All and all, it was a pretty good ride in.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Pictures of ice flows! A 20' hill of ice sounds pretty cool.

Speaking of hooker boots, I got a cool GoPro snap on the way home yesterday..well at least I thought it was cool...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-shadow.jpg  

mtbr member
    All you people riding in the extreme cold make me want to go somewhere cold for a week and try it. Sounds like great adventure!
    Nice commute this morning,

I Ride for Donuts
    Ooh got a good one this morning too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post

Speaking of hooker boots, I got a cool GoPro snap on the way home yesterday..well at least I thought it was cool...
    I'll try to grab some tomorrow before they get covered in snow. I was too late today to stop and smell the roses. One of them is pretty damn scarey. Ice with rocks on either side. My trails are about to totally change. Winter storm watch in effect for Friday. 4" to 24" depending on how it tracks. Friday is good timing to get the snowmobiles out to pack it down.

Cool pics, where do you mount the camera? It looks like it is dangling out in space. I like the second one the best.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have the GoPro mounted to the fork with a couple of extensions to keep it out away from the bike a bit. I'm still working on ideal placement... the money shot will be something like the 2nd one with an epic sunrise going off in the background...

You can sort of make out the GoPro in the shadow of the 1st pic.

weirdo
    OOOh, it`s mounted! I thought you stretched your arm way out for them. I like the pics too, but obviously have some perspective problems. In the second one, I could see the rear derailler and wondered where the hell your chainstays went! Yeah, now I get it. Front end, not back. And one of those weird new brake calipers, not a derailler.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I had an excellent commute home last night. Took off from work a bit early to check out some of the social single tracks JordyB mentioned and it was well worth it! Awesome fast riding in the heart of town! As I got near home, a fellow Fattie stopped me to ask if I had ridden any of the trails in the APU area, which is my home turf, and we had a great conversation about the trails and how they are different every time you ride them, about bikes in general, about the differences in ride qualities between the Salsa, 907, and Pugs.

This morning's ride was likewise a good one. Light snow falling so I got to make first tracks for much of the ride and just had a generally pleasant ride.

A couple of pics from last night's ride:

photo (2)

photo (1)

mtbr member
    Did my 45ish km roundtrip today. I've probably ridden this route a half-dozen times by now, and this was the first time that the wind wasn't swearably strong, so it actually made for a pretty nice ride. The one thing about a longer commute is that I saw a lot of other riders - I lost track at 2 dozen, and that included two fatbikes.

I Ride for Donuts
    Warmed way up this morning... snow in the forecast for today/tomorow, but temps approaching 40... maybe some sticking overnight tonight, but otherwise it'll just be wet... it's been a nice week or two after our arctic blast...mornings around 20, afternoons hitting mid 40's. I bet this morning was mid 30's. The lobster gloves were way too hot.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    OK, here you go, how about a 200' hill of ice? The 20' one is the only one I attempt. (actually that one is closer to 40 but I only made it half way up.) Frozen water flows.

It looks like I'll be driving tomorrow. They are forecasting 14"-24" now, most of it tomorrow afternoon.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Snowy Fatback Commute on this fine Thursday. Fresh cord' on Russian Jack and Chester Creek trails, Ast sidewalk plowed with snow still falling! Big Fat Larrys sure help in the soft stuff! About 25 degrees.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The weather is fantastic here. It was 36F this morning and is already 53F. Temps should climb closer to 60F by the time I get off work. To make it even better, the sun is out in full force. Sucks to be indoors.

I Ride for Donuts
    OK, here you go, how about a 200' hill of ice? The 20' one is the only one I attempt. (actually that one is closer to 40 but I only made it half way up.) Frozen water flows.
    That's awesome. We had some sections like that on my dirt road going for a while, but nothing that steep. The steeper sections were able to drain/runoff apparently. Those are crazy!

mtbr member

It looks like I'll be driving tomorrow. They are forecasting 14"-24" now, most of it tomorrow afternoon.
    I'm too old and fragile. Kamikaze riders and others with a death wish are going to die happy!

Discretion is the better part of valor in winter storms.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Snow hit! Woohoooo!
    How was your commute today?-hehe.jpg
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Nice pic!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 1 minute faster on my new commute home than last time, but I felt better, so that's something. I thought I would beat it by more based on how I felt, and the fact that I remembered to lock out & lock down (compressed) the suspension fork, reducing bobbing and improving climbing geometry. When I had a problem with the fork I think (perhaps I misunderstood) a mechanic told me not to lock it down, but I thought it was designed for that (you turn a lever, weight the fork, and it stays down). Opinions?