Page 353 of 428 FirstFirst ... 253303343349350351352353354355356357363403 ... LastLast
Results 17,601 to 17,650 of 21395
    mtbr member
    These days I very seldomly get the chance to make a detour on the way home. I honor every one who has the opportunity and makes use of it

At least I managed to ride every day this week. Nothing to say about it actually, just nice weather and little wind. Next week temps are expected to rise to almost 100F. Not nice anymore, will probably bring some nasty thunderstorms as well.
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 06-28-2015 at 02:19 PM.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ok, so not so much today but Wednesday. It was bike to work day so I took my youngest boy with me. We left the house at about 6:20 and arrived about an hour later. Along the way I showed him where, in the past week, three cars had been dumped into the river. Water was up to the driver's window. He was pretty amazed. We had an otherwise uneventful ride in and then had a nice breakfast before his mom picked him up and took him home. He wanted to stay and ride home with me as well. For one, I'm glad my job has a no kids policy.

I left for home at just past 5pm. The skies had opened up and it was pouring. Undaunted, I figured it would pass in a few minutes so I set out for home. The rain didn't slow and in fact it increased. A couple of the trails that go under overpasses were flooded. The cars that I pointed out to my son that morning in the river, were completely submerged. The worst part was the detour down Jason Street. It was fine at first and then suddenly I found myself riding in a river. A rapidly rising river. When the water got to my Cantilever brakes, I knew it was time to pull over. Getting out of the street was almost worse. You couldn't tell where the sidewalk was and the parking lots beyond the sidewalk were DEEP. You forget that most roads are crowned and also somewhat elevated. I found myself in waist deep water and shouldered my bike. Sorta like a River Cyclocross.
    One of the businesses had a loading dock and let my into their shop to escape the rain and hail as well as the torrent running down the street. Took this pic after waiting for the water to subside for about 30 minutes.

The truck and the cyclist in the pic are on the highest point of the road. Just to the right of the cyclist the road takes a dip and the water was almost up to the top of my tires. All you could see was top tube, seat, and handle bars. Gonna need to repack some bearings soon!

It was a ride I won't soon forget! Makes winter seem like a cake walk!

CB of the East
    ^^WOW! Did the water recede enough for you to ride home?

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Barely! I didn't want my wife trying to drive on those streets. I saw too many cars getting stuck and submerged. The worst part was for maybe a mile after that pic. The water in the street was almost up to the top of m tires! After that it got better. Thankfully, I live at the top of a hill!

Riding in today was eye opening. There was debris stuck on handrails that ware three feet high. Some of this in areas where I didn't encounter any water. So, it must have risen After I made it through!

Really scary how fast the water can rise!

weirdo
    That`s wild, Z1r! Almost need to look for the commuting section on a kayaking forum.
    Recalculating....

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I felt really bad for all the bike to work day participants that got caught up in that mess. Most probably weren't very familiar with the route.

I'm glad I rode the single speed. Only four bearings and the BB to repack or replace.

I guess I'm going to have to start packing a life vest in my backpack!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Another decent ride in for me, headwinds both ways which I still cannot figure out. Hoping to take part in a metric century Saturday morning, but unsure of the weather. Supposed to rain but we will see. I did get a compliment on my Bluetooth speaker which was nice. This is what I am using.

https://store.boombotix.com/collecti...mbot-rex-black
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 4020/6000

Moderator Moderator
    z1r, so glad you stopped and stayed safe, that's scarey!

Nothing exciting on my commute, though one spot with water on the road for the last month is getting tiresome. It looks like a culvert has failed or is clogged, but not sure why it is taking so long to fix. They added a big light-up sign to the little orange tripod high water sign, but no actual repairs yet, and of course the road surface is deterirating rapidly. Usually I ride through the puddle in the middle to try to avoid spray from cars, but yesterday I didn't and got a dirty shower and even water in my ear, ick. Annoying to get wet on a beautiful day.

Friday was also another Random Rewards day for bikecommuters, I got some $10 gift cards at the localbike/outdoors shop and gave them to people that biked or walked to work. I only had 6 takers, Fridays seem to have fewer riders and I think a couple people did not come collect their rewards.

I'd rather be on my bike
    No century ride for me today. Currently 56 and raining and I don't warrant that as good riding weather, not for that distance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Can you get it tight enough with the QR in the dropouts?
    Hi, yep pretty much a Shayne said, it can be very tight. I had no issue on the way home and that has the harder climbs!

NDD
    Baby boy
    Well. I went to the grocery store 8.5 miles away as opposed to the one 4 miles away because it's safer to bike to that one. Unfortunately I had to get a 2.5 gallon jug of filtered water because the stuff that comes outta the faucet where I moved to smells like eggs. That adds a lot of weight and in preparation I flipped to my slow 18t gear before heading out. Good choice.

Coming out of the store I see my tire is flat. I had already used my spare tube earlier this week. Damn, and I didn't have a pump with me. So I had to walk 2.5 miles down to the Wal-Mart and get a tube and a cheapo frame pump because the closest bike shop was 6 miles away. Doesn't help that I only had spd cleats, which makes a 5 mile walk rather painful.

Got my new tube in, tire on. The valve from the tube on my front tire had come out of where it was in the tube. Dunno what to do about that. Guess I'll pitch it. The ride back was way slow, but I saved my energy for the last 100 meters and managed to get up to 22 mph, which is good because that's the worst part of my commute.

I also don't know how good I am at packing heavy loads but I'm very glad that I've had experience doing off road stuff, because that came in handy when every time I hit a bump in the road my whole back end would wiggle like I was trying to pin it in a wrestling match.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    Excellent commute today. Picked up an extra shift for a guy I work with who is leaving. Beautiful day with temps in the mid 70's and mostly sunny. Figured out my camera mount so I went ahead and recorded the ride in and home. I need to get some editing done to it and I will post it. I figured that since I cleared 2000 miles for the year on this ride, I would finally record it. The ride in was awesome, and the camera worked really well. Did a little extra jump through campus to show you all the dedicated bike lane. I should have it done probably Monday maybe Tuesday and I will post it up. Ride home did not record so well in the pitch black which is too bad because that is when the fun started.

Leaving the campus area, got into what I later realized was a race. Me on the fixed gear, and the sidewalk ninja on a road bike of some sort. I passed him, of course, because the road is buttery smooth and straight, and the sidewalk is garbage and crosses streets. Well, I guess that motivated him. I get to the main road and wait for the light to turn left. Finally get the light and get going right after another sidewalk rider with really dim lights crosses. I pass him rather quickly as he is messing with his phone (smh) and riding on the sidewalk in a poorly lit area. Wow. That is when I see his silhouette, up ahead, this time in the road. He sees me, he checks behind because he recognizes the flashing light and can probably hear my music. The race is on!! Same ninja it turns out, because as I caught him, I recognized that he had a bag on from before. He makes the turn, and he is ahead of me, and I make the turn about 10 seconds later. The road is an immediate hill right after the turn. I am gaining on him, and I think he just gives up because I pass him rather quickly. That was the fastest that I have ever caught someone. It felt good to to that, on a hill on a fixed gear bike vs a guy on a road bike. He wasn't messing around because I had to really get on it to keep up and pass him. Figured out that he took one of the many shortcuts that are possible to cut that long light which I never thought about doing honestly. Wanted to say something to him badly about getting some lights or something but kept my mouth shut and my legs pedaling.

Turns out that it was my fastest ride home as well, just over 25 minutes. I don't know how really. Had I not had to mess around at the light and stop a few times for other lights, it could have possibly been closer to a 20 minute ride I think. 8.5 miles is the ride home and by the time I got home I felt like I could puke. Absolutely tore down the MUP when I realized how fast the ride had been. Saw absolutely nothing out there, no deer, rabbits, skunks, possums, nothing.

mtbr member
    Well, so much for my QR skewers being ok, the ferrule end sheared off this morning :-( Locked the rear wheel, wound the mudguard round and broke some of the mounting brackets. Had to carry it the last mile to work. Off to source a replacement at lunch, I'm just going to go for a solid axle with nuts now I think, it's not so much hassle to carry a spanner with me really.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Perfect ride today. Skipped yesterday because I rode a 1/2 century (off-road) on Sunday and wanted a rest day. Got two miles from work and was caught off guard and cat 6'd by a woman on a cross bike. Tried to keep up but she was clearly in better shape than I this morning. Right before I get to work I take a half-mile access road (dirt) that's usually rutted and occasionally muddy, but apparently over the weekend some 4-wheelers were playing and the whole stretch was a Mud-Clod Garden. Nothing like a bouncy technical section on your commute.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    Quiet around here lately. Nice work on the dirt 1/2 century.

I've been using my commutes as some daily time trials. This morning was my fastest commute, ever. I got a fitbit a month ago and have been using it to trim off an extra 10lbs or so that have snuck on with age and cookies. I'm about 1/2 way there and it seems to show. 22.9 MPH on my Home to Work segment. (I was NOT carrying a 2.5 gallon jug of water, 19ish lb unencumbered road bike only)

mtbr member
    Working from home today, so my commute was sneaking in a trail ride before I started (weather looks crappy for the rest of the week, may take it off to let my hands recover a bit). Checked out some new to me trails, and an old to me trail that recently reopened with a hybrid grass/gravel surface (grazzle™). Good times.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

weirdo
    Bedwards, you`re really flying. Better be careful or you`ll have to bump up a class in all your various race events!

We had quite a couldburst in my area Saturday afternoon, which usually results in dirt flows washed over all the roads. While there was some of that going on here and there, it wasn`t as bad as anticipated, and one particular stretch of road which as been pretty full of debris lately somehow got washed almost clean by the mimi floods. Welcome surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Coming out of the store I see my tire is flat. I had already used my spare tube earlier this week. Damn, and I didn't have a pump with me. So I had to walk 2.5 miles down to the Wal-Mart and get a tube and a cheapo frame pump because the closest bike shop was 6 miles away. Doesn't help that I only had spd cleats, which makes a 5 mile walk rather painful.
    Doh!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    These days I very seldomly get the chance to make a detour on the way home.
    Well, never say never. Uneventful commute yesterday, eventful today. Made a detour on the way home for a checkup at the dentist, everything ok. I rewarded myself with a stop at the lbs and got a new roadbar and tape. When I wanted to leave I noticed my rear tyre was suddenly flat and they didnt let me use their repairstand. Had to patch the tube out on the parkinglot. At least they let me use their pump. All in all it was about double the distance I ride normally with nice weather , around 75F. Temps are forecasted to climb to almost 100F the next days. Perfect weather to do some handlebar tuning in the cool basement :-) and to drink a cool beer afterwards while looking at the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    No riding for me so far this week. Ive been bed ridden with a fever and a killer sore throat. At first I thought it was just my allergies (grass, trees, fungus, cats, dogs, house dust... The usual...) but then the fever and aching joints kicked in. Feeling a bit better today so Im thinking of taking an easy spin into work tomorrow. Its meant to be nice out too...

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    22.9 MPH on my Home to Work segment. (I was NOT carrying a 2.5 gallon jug of water, 19ish lb unencumbered road bike only)
    Ha! If I had to do it for more than 100 meters I'd probably die. Fear of huge semi trucks from the steel mill on country highways is a real motivational tool. Anyways, keep up the good work bud!

I walked to work the last two days. Dunno why. Taking things slow, but I hike a lot at work anyway, benefits of being a botanist. Definitely biking tomorrow, probably.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Should also note I have a weird bug bite that I'm paranoid about. Apparently Lyme disease is even more common around here than where I'm from. I've got a spreading circular rash around a bite but not a bulls eye yet. Does biking cure Lyme?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    stupid question but this the third time I have hurt myself in the privates when commuting by it rubbing on the pants am wearing. has this happen to anyone else also I wear boxers would regular underwear help prevent this or should I waer riding shorts under neath my pants. any help would be nice.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by sepulvd View Post
    stupid question but this the third time I have hurt myself in the privates when commuting by it rubbing on the pants am wearing. has this happen to anyone else also I wear boxers would regular underwear help prevent this or should I waer riding shorts under neath my pants. any help would be nice.
    I often wear jeans but I wear boxer briefs. Dunno if that's a difference maker. Hell I've even biked in Carhart work pants and not had that issue. Must be a boxers thing, or maybe your seat?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    yea I have no idea been commuting for a year never had a problem intill recently.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Monday night - ride home was fast - leave work at 11:30 pm - hit the shower and hit the bed by 1 am
    Tuesday am - up at 4:55 am - get stuff ready - leave apartment by 5:35 am - cleaned up and working by 6:30 am
    Tuesday pm - leave work at 11:30 pm and ride home on wet pavement.

Exhausted. That doesn't even begin to explain it. Eating a snack, hitting the shower, and then bed again. I could do it all over again on Wednesday but my dog would then proceed to suck my soul right out of my body in my sleep Wednesday night like that little monster in Stephen King's short story the Cat's Eye.

Good night.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Enjoying the Europe heatwave wave - 24C already at 8am. Should hit 34C for the ride home!

Changed the tires on my new 29er to something more suitable for gravel and light singletrack, so out went the Nobby Nics and in came a Bontrager XR3 and XR2, both mounted tubeless.

Sadly for the second day in a row I had a sudden loss of tire pressure in the rear and ended up walking the last 6km to work

I 'fixed' it last night when I found out that the valve was leaking air, pumped up to 50PSI and did a 10km ride last night without problem, only to have the same again this morning! Using a public drinking fountain where I could submerge the wheel, I found out that the leak is from one of the spoke holes.

Digging further, it seems that the DT Swiss wheelset is tubeless ready and comes with the right tape/rim strips, but as the company who made the bike set it up with tubes, none of it was installed. They just put on standard rim tape. Looks like my job for tonight is to find some yellow tape and redo the both!
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2016 Scott Voltage FR 730
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD (29er)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Should also note I have a weird bug bite that I'm paranoid about. Apparently Lyme disease is even more common around here than where I'm from. I've got a spreading circular rash around a bite but not a bulls eye yet. Does biking cure Lyme?
    That is concerning, not necessarily paranoid, as the classic bullseye is not always present. Have you seen the gaiters with tick repellent in them? Outdoor Research BugOut Gaiters | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Tenspeed, that's a ridiculously long workday, hope you got some rest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Monday night - ride home was fast - leave work at 11:30 pm - hit the shower and hit the bed by 1 am
    Tuesday am - up at 4:55 am - get stuff ready - leave apartment by 5:35 am - cleaned up and working by 6:30 am
    Tuesday pm - leave work at 11:30 pm and ride home on wet pavement.

Exhausted. That doesn't even begin to explain it. Eating a snack, hitting the shower, and then bed again. I could do it all over again on Wednesday but my dog would then proceed to suck my soul right out of my body in my sleep Wednesday night like that little monster in Stephen King's short story the Cat's Eye.

Good night.
    Ouch - I feel your pain on this - take care on the rides!

I frequently do similar(ish) hours when we have deadlines or I am 'on call' twice a month or so. For me commuting in this state is the hardest thing, as by the end of the cycle I am fit to drop and on 'autopilot'.

I was riding when exhausted one morning last year (I was on call for a 4 week stretch and we had a big deadline) when out of sheer fatigue, I misjudged the actions/distance away of a car and swerved from a non-existent danger, crashing and breaking my wrist.
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    That is concerning, not necessarily paranoid, as the classic bullseye is not always present. Have you seen the gaiters with tick repellent in them?
    We use that exact type of gaiter at work. Also wear long sleeves everyday and this kinda popped up on my arm over the weekend. Haven't caught a tick on me yet, doesn't mean one was never there. I'm keeping an eye on it. Hopefully just a spider bite or an unreasonably wicked mosquito bite.

TenSpeed wins the workweek. Hopefully you get to spend time with your dog now.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Thanks everyone. Slept like a rock last night. Hanging with the little guy right now. Mostly cloudy and low 70's today so I will ride in. I never thought that on July 1st, I would be wearing a sweatshirt to go pay my rent at my complex. Currently 56° right now.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc2211 View Post
    Sadly for the second day in a row I had a sudden loss of tire pressure in the rear and ended up walking the last 6km to work
    Bummer. I had a similar experience riding in my wife`s car last week, but after that second sudden loss of pressure from the rear I somehow convinced her not to make me get out and walk. Must have been my lucky day
    Recalculating....

guy
    Didn't ride hardly at all last week and took Friday and Monday off as travel days. Made the 11 hour drive to Boston over the weekend for the Cape Cod Getaway Bike MS ride with a buddy that lives in the area. It was one of those everything that can go wrong will go wrong kind of weekends, although still a very fun weekend.

On Thursday before leaving I wake up with a wicked sore throat that quickly morphed into a nasty head cold by Friday morning. Once I am 3 hours into the drive I realized I left my cycling shoes at home, so I had to buy some at the outdoor store near his house. Once we arrive in Boston, I am freezing while everyone else is complaining of how hot the room is...turns out I had a fever of 100.2. The next morning I'm feeling a little better and we drive out to the start line for the MS 150 ride ready for our 75 mile day. As I go to install SPD cleats on my new shoes, I discover that the right shoe is defective - missing the threaded holes the cleats attach to. Luckily I managed to rig something up with the packaging from the cleats underneath the insole of the shoe.

60 miles into the ride my chain got caught while shifting to the small front ring, sucking into the front derailleur and bending the cage such that it rubbed on the crankarm every revolution. Not sure what caused the chainsuck because I cleaned and lubed the chain Thursday night before packing the car.

The weather forecast for Day 2 of the ride from Bourne to Provincetown was particularly nasty with 25-35mph sustained winds and rain all day. The event originally planned to use the ferry to get all the participants back to Boston, but the ferry operators cancelled all trips that day because of the 10 foot swells. Hence, Day 2 of the ride (and the part I was really excited about) was cancelled.

Luckily I was able to return the shoes without an issue because of the defective sole. Feeling a bit more normal now and was back to commuting yesterday.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ that beats my story. Glad you are feeling better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Bummer. I had a similar experience riding in my wife`s car last week, but after that second sudden loss of pressure from the rear I somehow convinced her not to make me get out and walk. Must have been my lucky day
    LOL! Lucky it wasn't a full rear blowout I had, or I dread what the response would have been!

/sorry couldn't help it!
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL

mtbr member
    Whoe some of you really having a bad time...glad you are doing better.

I had an uneventful ride in this morning. Left my bike at work for a team event, walked 5 miles for a gps rally that our team won! Even although I suggested to go to the nearest bar and have beer instead. But we could not google the info we needed so had to walk....

Will take the bus tomorrowmorning, then ride home in the afternoon. Forecast is almost 100F so I will take a bottle of water with me. Normally I do not need anything during the ride but tomorrow, I probably will....

mtbr member
    NDD if the bite swells and is hard and hot get to a doctor for a 3 week antibiotic course. Could be a tick. Could be an assassin bug bite. I had three exactly 2 years ago. The anitbiotic fixed it up.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I've been using my commutes as some daily time trials. This morning was my fastest commute, ever. I got a fitbit a month ago and have been using it to trim off an extra 10lbs or so that have snuck on with age and cookies. I'm about 1/2 way there and it seems to show. 22.9 MPH on my Home to Work segment. (I was NOT carrying a 2.5 gallon jug of water, 19ish lb unencumbered road bike only)
    Wicked fast! Egad, I can't even drive to work averaging 22.9 mph (12 miles and 35 minutes to drive/park)!

No one calls me Maurice.
    Cool commute (for the most part) took a longer route (woke up earlier than normal) and saw a couple deer on the trail just outside town. In town I road within 4 meters of a Northern Goshawk (guessing a female based on size). With 8 miles to go I helped a small Garter Snake off the trail. The at 5 miles to go I see a woman laying across the trail and start thinking about ambulance response times and how I'll give directions. She was banged up, knee was pretty swollen and her helmet was trash, but she was content to call her husband for a ride. Apparently her handlebar clipped the safety fence along the trail (no bar ends involved). Helped her get her bike up to a parking lot and continued the ride. Glad she was okay. Don't really need to do the 911 thing again, ever.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    I rode in with rollingrunner on this gorgeous morning, the first of many in a long weekend. Yeah summer! I'm hoping for some trafficsfaction on the ride home. 4th of July weekend is usually good for a line of cars 5 miles long waiting to get to the lakes that I get to ride by on my way home.

Took the classic bike today too. Viva la Sport!

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    Didn't ride hardly at all last week and took Friday and Monday off as travel days. Made the 11 hour drive to Boston over the weekend for the Cape Cod Getaway Bike MS ride with a buddy that lives in the area. It was one of those everything that can go wrong will go wrong kind of weekends, although still a very fun weekend.

On Thursday before leaving I wake up with a wicked sore throat that quickly morphed into a nasty head cold by Friday morning. Once I am 3 hours into the drive I realized I left my cycling shoes at home, so I had to buy some at the outdoor store near his house. Once we arrive in Boston, I am freezing while everyone else is complaining of how hot the room is...turns out I had a fever of 100.2. The next morning I'm feeling a little better and we drive out to the start line for the MS 150 ride ready for our 75 mile day. As I go to install SPD cleats on my new shoes, I discover that the right shoe is defective - missing the threaded holes the cleats attach to. Luckily I managed to rig something up with the packaging from the cleats underneath the insole of the shoe.

60 miles into the ride my chain got caught while shifting to the small front ring, sucking into the front derailleur and bending the cage such that it rubbed on the crankarm every revolution. Not sure what caused the chainsuck because I cleaned and lubed the chain Thursday night before packing the car.

The weather forecast for Day 2 of the ride from Bourne to Provincetown was particularly nasty with 25-35mph sustained winds and rain all day. The event originally planned to use the ferry to get all the participants back to Boston, but the ferry operators cancelled all trips that day because of the 10 foot swells. Hence, Day 2 of the ride (and the part I was really excited about) was cancelled.

Luckily I was able to return the shoes without an issue because of the defective sole. Feeling a bit more normal now and was back to commuting yesterday.
    I forgot one incident from this weekend. 9 hours into my drive to Boston my rear passenger wheel started making a nasty squealing sound. I drove all the way home to Cleveland with it as well. Took the car to the shop today and found out my rear caliper went bad and seized up. Need new calipers, rotors, and pads on the rear as well as pads and rotors on the front because the front was doing all of the work to stop. $1000 icing on the cake.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Looks like I will be riding all the way until Tuesday. Friday I am off and have some really nice plans, I mean really nice. Pics to follow. Working today and the weekend and it is supposed to be clear!

mtbr member
    Your plans sound intriguing TenSpeed, look forward to the pics!

Had to ride the trusty old 1998 Trek 810 in today, I forgot just how damn heavy that thing is! I need to show it some love though, did the job with no issues after being abandoned for a while.

Given up on the SS Roadie till the weekend, after my wheel slip issue I changed the spindle for a solid nutted version (diamond pattern on back of nuts) thinking all would be hunky dorey; still slips despite being torqued up to FT. I either need to get a tug or maybe scuff the frame up a little bit to give some grip to the nut I thinkl

Still, it's very warm and dry (upto 30°C, good for the UK!!) and I can't wait to go home.

mtbr member
    Well I took the bus this morning and temps went up to about 90F this afternoon. When I wanted to leave,my rear tyre was flat -again-. I patched it and the leak was on the edge of the previous patch, so I guess it has the same cause. Furthermore I noticed that the leak was on the inside of the tube, so I suspect it has something to do with moving rim tape or something like that. I will take the bus tomorrow and check the bike on saturday. Hope I get this sorted out, patching 2-3 times a week is annoying. Tomorrow and saturday temps are going up to almost 100F so riding is no fun anyway.
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 07-03-2015 at 10:25 AM.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Hope I get this sorted out, patching 2-3 times a week is annoying. Tomorrow and saturday temps are going up to almost 100F so riding is no fun anyway.
    The rim-tape leak is pretty common, especially in new bikes. We had a new bike on the 1/2 century ride last week with one. Properly sized velox tape is one solution, I prefer deburring the spoke holes and wrapping with Stans tape or two layers of duct tape (torn to fit). I've got a pair of wheels that are 30 years old that were duct taped when new and still work fine.

Moderator Moderator
    A lovely day here, great for pedaling, not so great for working. My legs were a bit tired, but BMX'd it anyway, we have tomorrow off, after all. A coworker who has enjoyed pedaling it around for fun a few times borrowed it to go pick up her car at the shop, I was psyched she had a blast. Had to adjust my helmet back to pinhead size after work

Another demo e-cargo bike arrived at work, but both left to be ridden in 4th of July parades this weekend.

I'd rather be on my bike
    First time in a long while that I opted to drive instead of ride. Legs were feeling tired, it was the last day of 5 in a row with a double shift mixed in, and I plan on riding all weekend so I wussed out and took the car to work. I feel the shame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I feel you TenSpeed - I drove to work twice this week (been at home sick the other three days).

This virus is seriously kicking my ass!

mtbr member
    Hey guys driving is fully ok when you are not feeling good. So no shame on you, no worries.

Thanks also for the tip concerning rim tape. I browsed around a while and the Schwalbe High Pressure seems to get good reviews. If I happen to be around a shop tomorrow I will hop in and see what they got. Otherwise I'll just tape it with two layers of ducttape ("bike hack" )

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute for me today as it is my normal day off. Going for a ride though.

2015 Felt Z5 full carbon, Shimano 105 STI shifters and drivetrain.

I replaced the saddle with a Specialized Phenom that I have, added the SPD pedals, the bag, a light, Specialized Zee cage and adjusted the cockpit.

How was your commute today?-z5.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Had to run out to the farm, and two others to check on the livestock since everyone else is out of town. The weather is stunning and I had just swapped out the Woodchippers on my Unit, so I took it out to play on my fifty mile loop of city and farm paths.

It got interesting when I trusted Google to map the shortest route home from the third farm. 7 miles of 45 and 55 mph roads with no shoulder. Next time, I will look at the whole route before I am riding it.

Tenspeed, that new Felt is a beauty.

Happy 4th everyone.