Page 352 of 591 FirstFirst ... 252 302 342 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 362 402 452 ... LastLast
Results 8,776 to 8,800 of 14765
    mtbr member
    Great ride in this morning. 27 degrees after reaching into the upper 30s last evening, so the trails were nicely consolidated for the most part. A nice freezing fog for the full ride, quiet and bright. No need for my headlights. Passed a huge group of military folk doing a walkabout on the trail. First time I've seen that during my commute. Not sure where they were going or where they came from, but it was fun watching a whole line of guys with full packs move to the right as a single unit.

weirdo
    What a sucky day
    No work, no wind, no clouds. By 9AM, the nasty sun had disposed of all the morning frost, and I was so bummed that I had to console myself by putting on my shorts and taking my new bike out on my old road loop. Took four hours off the life of my skinny Paselas. Just plain crap.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Mine was good! End of my commute went past my LBS and treated myself to a Sigma BC 1009

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Rodar y rodar that is a gorgeous view!

Well, my commute to work was mostly downhill and quite smooth. The commute back was a death trap. I swear that every car there was out to kill me. People running red lights, not using turn signals, it was a catastrophe and a miracle that I got home alive! Hahaha every day of my life pretty much.

Moderator Moderator
    Ooh! Shorts, yellow bike, blue skies, and great views - sounds terrible! Great job on the bike, she looks nice.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    What a sucky day
    No work, no wind, no clouds. By 9AM, the nasty sun had disposed of all the morning frost, and I was so bummed that I had to console myself by putting on my shorts and taking my new bike out on my old road loop. Took four hours off the life of my skinny Paselas. Just plain crap.
    I'm sorry you had to go through that.

My lake crossing was equally bad. I took the long way home. 2 miles of smooth ice at about 20mph. Horrid.

I'm thinking about punishing myself and going out to check out Sebago this morning.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

I mean...yeah. It was icy, but still fun, if not a little scary at times. It's good for the heart. I have climbed the hill on pavement that wraps back around my house and went in the woods up high just to get a taste of what kind of shape they're in, and I was pleasantly surprised. Still a lot of coverage, and firm...very firm. Driving to Burlington today with a friend so he can buy he and his wife fat bikes. Finally someone to ride with.

weirdo
    Another superdraft, CB? You must be getting good at that! I forgot to comment on it yesterday, since the page had rolled on me.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    My lake crossing was equally bad. I took the long way home. 2 miles of smooth ice at about 20mph. Horrid.
    Was it as smooth as it looked in the picture you posted last week?

Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Driving to Burlington today with a friend so he can buy he and his wife fat bikes. Finally someone to ride with.
    Nice
    Good thing you`re in VT- I don`t think they have fat bikes yet in ME.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Yeah, me too. 40mph uphill is crazy. CB, was it like hitting a wall when the van turned off?

I Ride for Donuts
    Red Rock Rodar!! One of these days a random guy is going to pull up alongside and scare the crap out of you with how much he knows about you and your bikes, before you realize that it's me. Great weekend for a road ride!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ Yeah, me too. 40mph uphill is crazy. CB, was it like hitting a wall when the van turned off?
    Well, he started accelerating... his turn was at the top of the (gradual) hill, and he saw a car coming up from behind. So rather than hold up traffic, he started to speed up... I got out of the saddle and did what I could to keep up...spun out my big ring, he started to get away, and then the wind started filling the gap between me and him... so it was like hitting a soft wall I pulled to the right, but kept the big ring going to the top of the hill...momentum.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Click it, you know you want to:
    Early Morning Cyclist Trail Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Was it as smooth as it looked in the picture you posted last week?
    Nearly. I went skating yesterday and there are some 4"wide cracks that run for a long way. I wouldn't want to get a wheel in one of them.
    How was your commute today?-crack.jpg

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Yeah, that would suck!!

Schott, I got my 'Chop Wood' t-shirt in the mail this weekend

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    People are out to get me. Yesterday, I was driving the car and some dude pulled out in front of me and froze in the middle of the road. I laid on the horn, started skidding, then let off the brake and swerved around the backside of the car, going partially off the road in the process. Luckily, I was able to miss all the mailboxes and keep from ruining anything on my car.

This morning, I played chicken with an Escalade after the driver passed a parked car and didn't seem to want to move back into her lane. A couple minutes later, I had some idiot riding my back wheel. I probably could have kicked his front bumper. I wasn't even the one holding up traffic. I had a school bus in front of me that turned off into a parking lot. I flashed him the "way to go champion" signal after he passed me and immediately had to brake for the red light. I turned onto the MUP and was on my way.

mtbr member
    s0ck, sounds rough. It always amazes me the stupid stuff drivers do.

My commute was more of the same. Good snow. Good temps. No challenges. Can't say that's a bad thing.

Strangely, the temps are moving up above freezing again, so it might be a bit soft for the ride home. A slight change of snow in the forecast, so maybe I'll get lucky with that.

I Ride for Donuts
    Woop! Just got word that I have an extra hour to kill after work before there's any reason to be home... beautiful out there. now all I have to decide is which route to take

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    A couple minutes later, I had some idiot riding my back wheel. I probably could have kicked his front bumper. I wasn't even the one holding up traffic. I had a school bus in front of me that turned off into a parking lot. I flashed him the "way to go champion" signal after he passed me and immediately had to brake for the red light. I turned onto the MUP and was on my way.
    Sounds like a good time to blow out the nose. All over his hood. "Oops"

This used to be par for the course for me here. The reflective vest seemed to get the idea of "safety first" and being a jerk a bit lower priority.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    cold and wet. 38* and it wasnt supposed to rain til later. snapped this 30 seconds before the worst of the rain:
    How was your commute today?-531485_284722944988787_609125225_n.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    It was pretty rough. This morning I took the trails to the old office, that part was a peaceful journey over snow and ice, stopping occasionally to toss aside the new crop of fallen branches. Then I drove that dang work Prius to our new office in Montpelier with my bike in the hatch. I'm not crazy about that car but the bike slides in without removing a wheel (at least my small ones), so it gets some points.

I did get a cheer from a fellow worker/biker who saw me pedaling over to lock the bike at work after parking and turning off the car. We have not seen a lot of our co-workers for over a year when tropical storm Irene destroyed our complex and sent us packing to 3 temporary offices about an hour drive apart.

After work I wanted to try the full 11.5 mi bikecommute home. It took forever. OK, not forever, but nearly 2 hours. It was 7F and bitter winds, although not headwinds. And on the busy strip filled with cars, fast food, gas stations, stores, etc., I was like, "Wow, I've got to pay attention!", compared to the trail or backroad commute I had. My other excuses or the slow ride include doing the Frozen Onion bike race yesterday http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...xt|FRONTPAGE|s and then staying up late at a Superbowl Party. Honestly though I don't think it will speed up too much, so I might have to consider the bus for part of the way home, although that means hopping off and heading straight up the 3.5 mile hill home without warming up.

Tomorrow have prior plans, so I get a day to rest up, think about it, and hope for milder weather.
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 02-04-2013 at 06:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Commute today was good. First time since switching to drop bars and a rigid ford, the bike responds sooo much better now but there's a bit of tweaking needed to get the comfort factor dialed in with the drops.

Slight head wind for the 17 miles to work this morning got me there a couple minutes later than usual. The way home was nice though with the wind at my back watching the sunset.

Temp was in the high 60s, I could really get used to this central Texas weather, at least in the winter time.

weirdo
    FINALLY back to your old office? Permanently? I didn`t realize that it split everybody up- must be nice seeing some old faces. Not so nice seeing others, maybe. Good luck with your new-old commute.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    People are out to get me.
    Don`t take it personally, sOck- they`re out to get all of us . It does sound like you got more than your share the past two days, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatson View Post
    Commute today was good. First time since switching to drop bars and a rigid ford, the bike responds sooo much better now but there's a bit of tweaking needed to get the comfort factor dialed in with the drops.
    Mtb, I take it? What bike is it? I like drop bar rigids

EDIT: I liked the old colon, cap D smiley better. The new version looks dumb. The "eeks" suck, too- what is the world comming to?
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ It's actually a 3rd office, leased but semi-permanent I think. Most of the original complex is either not being fixed or is still in a fight with FEMA for $. But I now have the same bike route as my original bikecommute, minus the bus ride from Montpelier to Waterbury (I won't miss that), and plus an additional half mile to the hilltop office.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Great commute this morning. I took (link) all trails which included a few miles on the lake with a stop at the (link) HUGE ROCK.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice rock. A couple trucks fell through here yesterday, but should be ok on foot or bike.

I Ride for Donuts
    That rock is cool!

I did the 16 mile loop after work yesterday.... it was great, except the dirt part was horrendous! The mud and muck was super sticky, soft, and energy sapping... I had the GoPro cracking off pictures... it looked like this pic for about 5 miles. Serious workout. I'm hurting today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

weirdo
    Blech, muddd! Better you than me, Bubba. I`ve posted pics a few times before from a road a lot like that that I rode last Feb. it was part of a two day loop from Caribou to Canyon Dam, then back via Seneca. Yuck.

Bedwards, I love checking out your home turf on sat images. Can`t believe all those lakes! And the islands in Casco Bay look awesome, too. We`re going to visit my SIL in Boston this summer and an article about the ferry routes in the bay helped me convince the ol lady that we need to get up and check out Portland and Acadia while we`re in the neighborhood.
    Recalculating....