Page 351 of 606 FirstFirst ... 251 301 341 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 361 401 451 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,775 of 15139
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    it was rainging... can't ride but it was warm today, 10+degree

mtbr member
    It was much nicer. I went tubeless on my Carve and dropped 5lbs in weight off the wheels. My bike is now easier to climb and will push the 42/11 gears much nicer. It is amazing how much dropping a few lbs on your wheels makes your bike seem quicker on the climbs. BTW it was in the low 30's but dry.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Yesterday was super icy from freezing rain. Today, with the sun still down, it is 55F and pouring down rain. Tonight, 12F and flurries. This warm front did a number, but we still have snow. With the washed off roads, I am going to ride the Ute. First time I've ridden any bike other than the fatty since I bought it.

How was your commute today?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359632225.657586.jpg

MTB, Road, Commuting
    We've got the same whacky weather. 52F here and very very windy. I'd say it was windier today than it was for Hurricane Sandy. When I was going fully against it it took me about 5 min to go a mile downhill. I was glad my bike was heavy for the side gusts.

Does everybody have a fatbike but me? Actually, once this freezes up the trails are going to be like ice highways for the studded tire bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Going to be 69 degrees and sunny today...Guess I will have to tough it out on the commute home! :-)

mtbr member
    almost didn't happen

first bridge I tried:

vicinity of the second:
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It was over 70F early Wednesday morning before the storms hit around 4am. This morning it was windy and snowing. It sounds like everyone is having crazy weather. I was happy to ride in the snow. Rain sucks.

Oh, and I don't have a fatbike. I probably won't be getting a new bike any time soon either, since I have a baby on the way...

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Congrats on the baby on the way! Those are fun times (in retrospect... not that the preganancy support team job is the greatest )

Freak ride this morning... I saw no deer. Not a one. This is very odd.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Congratulations, sOck! When is your stork due? Will that be a first for you?

Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    I went tubeless on my Carve and dropped 5lbs in weight off the wheels. My bike is now easier to climb and will push the 42/11 gears much nicer. It is amazing how much dropping a few lbs on your wheels makes your bike seem quicker on the climbs.
    5 pounds? Must have had some seriously heavy tubes! Yeah, it`s nice to suddenly find yourself lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    almost didn`t happen.
    first bridge I tried:
    vicinity of the second:
    Where is that? It looks a bit on the wet side, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    We've got the same whacky weather. 52F here and very very windy.
    Does everybody have a fatbike but me?
    That`s wacky, allright. It sounds like about a 100 degree shift- sorry about the wind.
    I`ll have a fat bike just as soon as I find one with a 1 inch threaded headset.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Good ride this AM. 27F when I left the house and light freezing rain that stopped before I got to the end of my block. Quite a few skiers out now that we've gotten some good snow and the temps aren't so cold. Not that I mind sharing the trails, but it'd be nice if they'd yield some of it to oncoming traffic. Anyway. Any ride's a good ride, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Congratulations, sOck! When is your stork due? Will that be a first for you?
    Thanks. Yeah, it's our first. Due in July.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Any ride's a good ride, right?
    *** Any that end rubber side down, at least. One in November I could have done without. Thank goodness I had health insurance the bill is well over 8 grand.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, it's our first. Due in July.
    *** You lives will never be the same. I both envy th path ahead of you and commiserate. Ours is 24 in May.

Must have had some seriously heavy tubes! Yeah, it`s nice to suddenly find yourself lighter....
    *** Roadies say an ounce off the wheels especially rim and tire is worth a pound on the frame. So 5 pounds is like losing 80 pound of camping gear!

*** If they are cracking welds on Big Dummy seat stays, i suspect a 1" threaded steering tube would be a tad unreliable. I don't have a threadless headset either, but it is only because no bike I own is newer than 1984. When the budget allows, I'm game.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I was happy to ride in the snow. Rain sucks.
    *** And wind blows. Looking at 18-22 mph. Gusts higher. And snow. 29F today was 50's yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    almost didn't happen- first bridge I tried: -vicinity of the second:
    First bridge is fine. Its the submarine approach on the other side that is the problem. Vehicular traffic will also be late. It's not the time of year to test a fatbike (if you had one) as a floatation device (some of them float) in some impromtu rafting.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    Rodar, someday threadless headsets, external BB's, and disc brakes will find their way onto your bikes. It's a shame that you'll be 80 years old and unable to use them to their full potential

mtbr member
    Where is that? It looks a bit on the wet side, to say the least.
    That would be (usually) lovely Collegeville PA. If you keep going straight you get to the prison (made the mistake of trying to take that route once when I started this job - google maps damn near got me killed!). Unfortunately the route I usually take involves a trail thats probably under 7 feet of water in that picture. Trying to decide if I should take normal route home or not tonight based on this Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Philadelphia/Mount Holly: Perkiomen Creek at Graterford

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMC
    First bridge is fine. Its the submarine approach on the other side that is the problem. Vehicular traffic will also be late. It's not the time of year to test a fatbike (if you had one) as a floatation device (some of them float) in some impromtu rafting.
    My boss said the same thing. I must really rub people the wrong way

The good thing about the detour is I saw a blue heron looking for food in an overflowing stream once I was a bit closer to work - probably wouldn't have if I was on schedule. I don't see them often this time of year.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Rode to the downtown Dallas Y and sat in the Steam room for a few. Then I just cruised around a little bit before heading home. Once home, I installed my new rear light.
    2007 FS KHS XC104
    2012 FS Yeti SB95 (Race/XT)
    2013 HT Cannondale Trail 7
    2013 HT Specialized Hardrock Sport (the commuter)

weirdo
    Sunny and 59F a half hour ago for my ride to work. It looks about the same for the upcomming weekend
    Schott, I was mostly joking (although I do prefer threaded). I really think fat bikes are super cool, but since I personally don`t have much call for one, will probably never buy one. And since I seriously doubt I`ll ever see one with a 1 inch threaded headset, it seems safe to say that`s the one I`ll buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    If they are cracking welds on Big Dummy seat stays, i suspect a 1" threaded steering tube would be a tad unreliable.
    Dummy is fat, or just long? Anyway, I generally do a good job of keeping my seat stays at quite a distance from my headtube. Although... I think the CHAINSTAYS on one of my bikes are actually side tacked to the headtube on their way to the BB

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Rodar, someday threadless headsets, external BB's, and disc brakes will find their way onto your bikes. It's a shame that you'll be 80 years old and unable to use them to their full potential
    No big deal, CB. I already don`t use my bikes to their full potential!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^^ My bad. Not Big Dummy but Pugsley. I hate my mind when I am chelating. Still works better than most drivers here, though.

Rode with 20+ mph winds. Mounted the snows as it was snowing. Then it stopped and sublimated before the ride and started as I returned. The 32 mm A10 Nokia studded snows add 2.5 pounds to the outer part of the wheels. So like adding 40 pounds of weight. So between the wind and tires I was 1.5 mph slower than yesterday. The tires are not tight to 700 C so I got a lump in the rear one feeling like a lump on the tire each revolution that took about 5 miles to settle in. On 16 mm rims and Max pressure of 58 pounds, they are not a tire to lean with too much. Tomorrow they will be needed.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    HOLEEFRIKKTACKS!

was like 12 or 14C yesterday, today was -15C with winds up to 60kph and snow.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

They see me rolling.
    Jan 2013
    Bad. First time in a week that it wasnt pouring rain or there being massive puddles to avoid. I was five miles in to my ten mile trip when I heard air leaving my tire at an alarmingly fast rate. I stop and look and I find an inch long glass shard going through my tire and tube, and I did not have a patch kit on me. I only had to walk about a mile before my ride got me. Thanks to my mishap, I missed a class.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Eventful commute this morning. We received about an inch of snow last night, which usually isn't an issue, but this time the temp dropped over 20 degrees in a short period of time (32F down to 10F). Mixing those conditions with roaring winds made things interesting. The snow basically melted on the pavement then was frozen solid. I was going to ride my old school Cannondale with knobbies, but it had a flat tire (surprise!). After bumbling around the garage a bit, I ended up putting the front wheel on my singlespeed so I'd at least have one knobby tire (slick in the rear). The roads had some snow and a few icy patches, but the MUP was a solid sheet of ice. I hit my first turn on the MUP at a much lower speed than normal, but my whole bike still washed out. Somehow I was able to hop off and slide a ways down the path on my feet with the bike on its side between my legs. I felt a bit like a hero. After flexing my muscles a few times for the bystanders, I continued on my way. The bridges actually provided some of the best traction because the bridges were colder and didn't melt any of the snow. After the MUP, the bike lanes were solid ice. I stuck to the road and made it the rest of the way without issue. I made it to work 12 minutes late. Oh well.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ I had some of those commutes before I finally saw the light this year and got some studs. Nothing like feeling like a hero though nice.

Yesterday's ride home was legendary. Just as I was leaving work, one of the local mountain biking buddies went by in his big 'ol van... I could see a couple bikes in the back, and at least a couple people...probably on the way home from the trails. We waved, and I stayed close enough to him in traffic that I was maybe 1/4 mile back as he crested the hill heading out of town and dissapeared. When I crested the same hill, I saw him sitting on the side of the road waiting, and as soon as he saw me he got back out on the road and started speeding up. An unspoken conversation occured, and I looked back to verify what he was communicating...no cars in sight coming over the hill, and empty two lane highway ahead for the 4 miles until his turnoff. I hammered it and got on his bumper, and spent the next four glorious miles in motorpace mode, blasting down the highway on the relatively new pavement at somewhere around 40mph (I haven't talked to him to verify). I spun out my big ring climbing uphill just before he peeled off to make his turn. So fun.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ ^^I'm glad you were able to stay upright.

^^Motorpacing is cool Which bike were you on?

Wow snow-melt! About half of the trials are bare again. The rest are pretty frickin icy, even with the studs I had to proceed with caution in a few places. The lake was awesome! All the snow is gone and re-frozen into a nearly smooth surface.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ I had some of those commutes before I finally saw the light this year and got some studs. Nothing like feeling like a hero though nice.
    This was probably the one commute this year that would warrant studs. My one decent wipeout on ice this year was a very isolated patch of ice caused by water seeping out of the hillside and freezing.

I Ride for Donuts
    s0ck, I hate those surprise ice patches. I have one spot like that. I hear you on justifying the studs...I live on a dirt road that turns to packed ice, and it still took me like 5 years to talk myself into them.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^ ^^I'm glad you were able to stay upright.

^^Motorpacing is cool Which bike were you on?
    Thanks... no drama. I wouldn't do that on just any road. new pavement last year on this stretch, and I'm on it every day. You're still pretty on edge riding that fast, inches from a vehicle. I also positioned so I could see through the vehicle to the road ahead.

I was on the Ogre, but I had ditched the studs and had the commute wheels on, thankfully.