Page 350 of 608 FirstFirst ... 250 300 340 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 360 400 450 ... LastLast
Results 8,726 to 8,750 of 15176
    I Ride for Donuts
    I got a pretty good ride in after work yesterday. I had the studs on and thought I'd get in some trail time, but the warmer temps made the snow pretty impossible... about a foot of slushy goop on top... the studs were spinning like slicks. So I had to abandon my trail plans, but I still got in a nice ride. This morning was the first day back on the commute tires in a long time. I felt fast, quiet, and smooth

Yesterday:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Last week I said that I was going to jinx things, and I totally did! -28C(-18F) on the ride in. But thankfully we're supposed to be back above freezing by Friday.

There's a nasty wind, so taking the dog for a walk this morning was a nightmare, but the riding wasn't actually too bad. I saw 3 other bikes, and drivers were all well behaved.

It's been a long time since it's been cold, so I didn't know what to wear, so I wore everything. I don't start using my arm/shin warmers (old socks with holes in the toes) until below -25C, but they are really effective. I ought to start using them around -15C, because this morning there wasn't even a hint of cold hands.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I got a pretty good ride in after work yesterday. I had the studs on and thought I'd get in some trail time, but the warmer temps made the snow pretty impossible... about a foot of slushy goop on top... the studs were spinning like slicks. So I had to abandon my trail plans, but I still got in a nice ride. This morning was the first day back on the commute tires in a long time. I felt fast, quiet, and smooth

Yesterday:
    Sounds about right. 1 degree above freezing and the trails become impassable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It was 58F on the way in this morning! 70s for the ride home. If it's not raining, I'm going to head for the country and get a longer ride in. I found a nice loop last week. It's a bit tough with my current gearing on the singlespeed (steep hills), but it's a great workout. Chance of snow Thursday with lows in the teens. Our weather is .

mtbr member
    A good commute in this AM. Light snow and 5F. A bit breezy, but nothing bad. Made first track for a big part of the ride. Always fun. It does look like the snow and wind are picking up, so might be an interesting ride home tonight.

I could handle some 58F days here real soon. I'm envious Sockeyeus.

Moderator Moderator
    Pretty shot, CB, sounds like a nice ride.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    A good commute in this AM. Light snow and 5F. A bit breezy, but nothing bad. Made first track for a big part of the ride. Always fun. It does look like the snow and wind are picking up, so might be an interesting ride home tonight.

I could handle some 58F days here real soon. I'm envious Sockeyeus.
    Pretty much spot on from what I had as well, first tracks through Russian Jack North, got caught in some fresh grooming so that slowed things down, but the wind had already started to create drifts all along Cst, was easily ridable, just had resistance training for 3 miles.

Along Chester Creek this AM:

mtbr member
    Started snowing last evening on the way home but the roads were just bare and wet. Woke up to 3-4in. fresh powder this morning. I'm not a skier, but I can appreciate fresh powder: there is something sweet about being the first one to lay tracks on a blanket of virgin white snow. Plus, I get pretty good traction on the powder too.

Unfortunately, that was only a small section of the commute. The rest consisted of frozen road snot, slush mixed with red cinders (so everything looks rusty) and snow over ice. Biffed it on a curb in one section, no big deal, slow speed onto snow, just misjudged the angle and the lack of a ramp - mistook the drifted snow as one.

Thing I've found though, is that the longer the winter goes on, the less drivers give a sh*t about anyone but themselves (even worse than normal) so I'm getting closer drive-bys, sprayed with slush more and am generally feeling a little more scared on the bike. It's not a nice feeling. To counter that though, everyone at work thinks I'm even more nuts than before. Which is kind of cool.

I'm appreciating my studs more every day too. Y'all be safe out there!

I Ride for Donuts
    Oh my word I need a fatbike.

mtbr member
    AWESOME!!! 55F for the morning temp with a 20 mph tailwind. It was a dream ride. The ride home was a little cooler with some snow for fun.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I did want to add that Gore Windstopper enabled clothing rocks! Got new pants and coat that are thin and breath and work very well down to 0. Much better than the cheap poly stuff i was using that held all the sweat in and let the cold get to you easier.

weirdo
    Nice pic, CB. Confesional: I`ve never been to Eagle Lake

Jordy and Blockphi, are all those trails you guys post shots from right through the middle of town?

Been warm to warm-ish here for a week or so, mud mostly dried out, and my studs are getting bored again. We had a little snow flurry a day or two ago, but it never even stuck. Another furlough this Friday, so hopefully take another good ride.
    Recalculating....

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Rodar, yup, lots of greenbelt trails through and around Anchorage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yesterday was awesome!! so much nice crunchy snow!
    today it all slushed the heck up and then rained in the afternoon.
    washed the salt off my bike from last week though!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

I Ride for Donuts
    What just happened to the forum? Everything is weird.

Uneventful ride today. 21 degrees...enough dirt patches on the dirt road showing up through the ice that I can aim for them with the non-studded tires...it's a little slow getting down to the pavement, but from there, it's totally clear. I re-charged my tubeless goo in the commute tires last night, because I heard a booger bouncing around in the front... it was a good one. Both tires were totally dry...glad it's not goathead season

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    Thing I've found though, is that the longer the winter goes on, the less drivers give a sh*t about anyone but themselves (even worse than normal) so I'm getting closer drive-bys, sprayed with slush more and am generally feeling a little more scared on the bike. It's not a nice feeling. To counter that though, everyone at work thinks I'm even more nuts than before. Which is kind of cool.

I'm appreciating my studs more every day too. Y'all be safe out there!
    I find they drivers are good for about two days after a snow storm....then they lose it and try to run you around....they seem to get it back after a week...and then things are normal till the next storm hits...

Heads up.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    What just happened to the forum? Everything is weird.
    Forum software was upgraded.

Announcements - Commuting

weirdo
    I hate changes!
    Noticed that rbr had gone wanky a few weeks ago and wondered why we hadn`t been saddled with it here. Oh, well- not much room to b1tch about a free service and it`s still better than the options.

Oh spell check
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Rodar, yup, lots of greenbelt trails through and around Anchorage.
    That's one of the things I love most about this town! I work for a company who contracts me out to other businesses throughout the city so I end up working at a lot of locations. In the three years I've been here, I've been able to complete between 90 and 95% of my daily commuting without ever leaving greenbelt trail. The remainder is a mix of multiuse roadside trail and roadways.

It certainly makes for a great way to start and end the day. What's also really neat about A-Town is that I can leave my house and hit a mix of paved mutliuse, dirt double track, and some amazing single track all within two miles. I've not once had to drive to a trail head and I still haven't gotten bored with or discovered all of the trails available to me. Add to that winter, when a whole host of new riding opportunities spring up due to the social trails that the dedicated fatties blaze each year. I've found some amazing riding just blocks from my house. Challenging and fun. It's a great biking town.

mtbr member
    Everyone needs a fatbike. Like a Tonka truck. Only better.

Nothing special about this AM's commute, other than that I came in a bit later than usual and had some good trail to ride. The muni was out in force grooming with fresh cord and the skiers were likewise out in force, eating it up before it got too much traffic on it.

A great day to ride.

mtbr member
    Nice ride. Only 19-23 mph winds with gusts. Yesterday was 34 plus gusts. Mid 50's so had to ride. 30 F tomorrow. If it isn't winds it's thick fog.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    About an hour after I posted yesterday I emerged from my cave to see it had started snowing again, heavily. Ride home was interesting to say the least. BUt the commute this morning was even more exciting - all the road snot from last night's commmute turned to ice chunk. One road I take was basically a solid sheet of ice with a liberal scattering of gravel for traction but that didn't help the poor dude who hit another car and went into the ditch. Should be bare and wet though by the time I get out of this joint. Or slick with an ice glaze. It's all about the adventure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It was in the 40's today but felt about like 37 according to my weather app. Anyhow, It wasn't that bad until I loaded my panniers down. This created more surface area and made for an interesting ride during strong wind gust.
    2007 FS KHS XC104
    2012 FS Yeti SB95 (Race/XT)
    2013 HT Cannondale Trail 7
    2013 HT Specialized Hardrock Sport (the commuter)

Owner Epic Biking
    We have been dumped on by snow the last couple days. Everyone is complaining about their commutes in the cars, but it has been a blast commuting in the snow on my Moonlander. My commute is only about 6 miles, but with a little work I can stretch it out as long as possible and still open the store on time.

Towards the end of this video I go through a flooded tunnel getting my feet WET and ended up wearing iced shoes into the store.

www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    holy weather!
    -8 C and 4 inches of nice crusty snow on monday, +12 C today and meltwater everywhere.
    Last edited by byknuts; 01-30-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!