Page 350 of 417 FirstFirst ... 250 300 340 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 360 400 ... LastLast
Results 17,451 to 17,500 of 20850
    Ska
    Steel is real.
    Dry, but, wind in my face. Good ride though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-com3-1-1-.jpg  

Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Oooh! I don`t suppose there`s a rose growing in the middle of that cactus is there? I`ve seen a lot of nopal blossoms, but never one with such a "designer" multicoloed look to it like that. Very pretty!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    ^ nice pictures!!! What did you take them with? The color is really sharp.
    Those were done with an iPhone 4. I should reshoot with the HTC android.

My 100mm stem has to come off because it is just too long and stretches me out and my hands are painful from resting on the bars. I figured that the reach would be too much but couldn't pass up the stem. I learned.
    It took me a lot of time to get rid of hand and foot pain when I resumed riding frequently for an hour or more at a time. I have a 50 mm stem set very high. Kind of twitchy but it works. I have lost a lot of the spare tire (>65 lbs) so maybe it is time to se if I can go more aero.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Oooh! I don`t suppose there`s a rose growing in the middle of that cactus is there? I`ve seen a lot of nopal blossoms, but never one with such a "designer" multicoloed look to it like that. Very pretty!
    Obviously selected for its blooms. The fruit are unusable. We can get them in season in the stores here. An acquired taste, it seems to me.

weirdo
    Really? I`ve always found the fruit very tasty. The paddles, on the other hand...
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^^ I was brought up on home grown raspberries, strawberries, cherries, peaches apricots, pears, and a wide variety of apples. Home made maple syrup, too.

Of course, maybe the ones they ship are not the good ones or too green to show what they can be. Delicious apples are like that. Fantastic right off the tree. Mediocre to mealy, if stored. Jaded palate or unrepresentative prickly pears? I know these little red ones I grow aren't quite mature by frost here and aren't worth the effort to try and get rid of the prickles. The ones I tried from the store suggest I leave mine to rot.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I know these little red ones I grow aren't quite mature by frost here and aren't worth the effort to try and get rid of the prickles. The ones I tried from the store suggest I leave mine to rot.
    The ones I`ve seen in supermarkets look so unappetizing that I`ve never bothered. In devious sort of way, I`m glad you mentioned frost cutting your growing season short. I was surprised to even see them in Indiana the first time you posted pics of them- they won`t grow at all around here, though I don`t know if it`s because of arid climate, altitude, or what. For what its worth, to get rid of the prickles, they usually cut the whole outer layer off with a knife in Mexico. For the fruit, that is- for the slimey part, they just scrape with a knife.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^^ The fruit are so small that there would not be much left after peeling them.They are about 1/4-1/3 as long or wide as the ones in the stores and just changing color about Halloween.

The plant is a cutting from one at the street corner diagonal to my wife's office. The house burned, was razed, and the cactus was being discarded when Kathryn asked for a chunk of it. Only one I have seen in town. She had admired its flowering for several years. It is in our succulent bed and though that is drier than other beds, it still gets more rain than I thought it would stand. No idea of its origin.I assume higher elevations a lot further south.

The yuccas are poised to flower any day now too. If the sun shines I will test the color saturation of the android phone.

mtbr member
    Surprisingly good ride in this AM. Saturday was the Government Peak Hill Climb race and I volunteered to do timing at the top - 3500 vert gain in 2.75 miles. Good times. A bit sore yesterday so I didn't go for a run yesterday as planned, but did mow my yard - .57 acres with a push mower, so a bit of a workout anyway. A couple of hills on the ride this morning reminded me that I still need to train better for climbing back down mountains, but the weather was great and overall the ride was nice.

Have a guy coming to look at my Farley today. Might work out that I'll be able to sell it and if I do, I think I might just go with a 29er if I can get a deal on one from somewhere. Then start riding the Pugs in the winters. My son might be a bit peeved, but probably not that much as it is usually a bit of a struggle to get him out on the bike in the winter with me. Another option: 650b+. Not quite full fat, but fat enough to ride most of what I ride in the winter. Hmmm... decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    70F this morning. I realize that this is what most the world deals with on a daily basis, but I prefer to keep that sort of thing for my ride home.

Not bike-related (and I have no particular love of motorcycles), but here's a local video of a student driver:

When I see a driver doing something stupid, I often think "They couldn't be that stupid, could they?" But occasionally they really are. And giving people the benefit of the doubt affects my reaction time - I'm not sure I would have gotten out of the way as fast as this rider does.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    77F this morning on the way in and humid. Bleh. It's kind of a crapshoot whether or not I'll get rained on on my ride home. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I just hope I don't get stormed on.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Surprisingly good ride in this AM. Saturday was the Government Peak Hill Climb race and I volunteered to do timing at the top - 3500 vert gain in 2.75 miles. Good times. A bit sore yesterday so I didn't go for a run yesterday as planned, but did mow my yard - .57 acres with a push mower, so a bit of a workout anyway. A couple of hills on the ride this morning reminded me that I still need to train better for climbing back down mountains, but the weather was great and overall the ride was nice.

Have a guy coming to look at my Farley today. Might work out that I'll be able to sell it and if I do, I think I might just go with a 29er if I can get a deal on one from somewhere. Then start riding the Pugs in the winters. My son might be a bit peeved, but probably not that much as it is usually a bit of a struggle to get him out on the bike in the winter with me. Another option: 650b+. Not quite full fat, but fat enough to ride most of what I ride in the winter. Hmmm... decisions, decisions.
    Sounds like you are a candidate for a 29+. Best of both worlds from what I understand.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 2913/6000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Another option: 650b+. Not quite full fat, but fat enough to ride most of what I ride in the winter. Hmmm... decisions, decisions.
    Sounds like you are a candidate for a 29+. Best of both worlds from what I understand.
    The big question for me is when will someone announce a +size studded tire? The way the marketing machines are moving I figure studded 650b+ might actually happen before 29+. (although my 29er should fit 650b+ quite nicely, while it might struggle a bit with 29+)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    When I see a driver doing something stupid, I often think "They couldn't be that stupid, could they?" But occasionally they really are. And giving people the benefit of the doubt affects my reaction time - I'm not sure I would have gotten out of the way as fast as this rider does.
    A driver completely ignored a stop sign (he was far enough away that he was not immanent on entering the intersection and totaled our car. He shifted the whole front end 5" to the right and nearly ripped off his left front wheel. Too much damage for even slowing for the stop sign or braking before he hit. A recent widower and and octogenarian, I suspect he was not aware of where he was at all.

You wound think the bump up over the front wheel of the motorcycle would be a clue. Now you know why I avoid riding right after the high school lets out.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Warm and windy on the way in today. The wind just sucks the life out of me. I don't mind the heat or the cold honestly. The wind? No thanks. Lots of severe weather across the state that just missed us to the south. We got a little rain early in the evening and a few sprinkles on the way home but it was nice out and the ride home was fast!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    This morning was by turns sunny, frustrating, baffling and confrontational. Oh, and irritating... In no particular order.

I had a confrontation with a random middle aged lady not ten metres from my front door this morning.

According to her it is not allowed to cycle through our housing complex, past a locked car gate (designed to prevent motor vehicles accessing our complex but allowing peds, strollers, bikes etc through) through the adjacent supermarket car park to get to the road... I should cycle instead through said busy housing complex past a sandbox/play ground and go through an identical gate, cross the side walk then onto the road instead!

So in essence I should ride through the busy pedestrian area, past the play area, through a closed car gate (on a down hill) and onto the road rather then taking the direct route uphill (therefore slower) avoiding the pedestrians and kids.

The baffling thing? When I asked her if we were neighbours (i.e. did she even live there?) she said NO! She was just walking through! And when further pushed to tell me why I should not cycle where I was cycling all she could come up with was that there was no bike path indicated!

IT IS A SUPERMARKET CAR PARK!! I asked her why there is a bike rack in front of the shop if bikes were not allowed in here?? She couldn't answer. I then asked her to show me in writing where the rule was that dictates no cycling here (she was playing with her smart phone as I rode past her) and she refused (i.e. couldn't).

At that point I had wasted enough time on her and rode off...

Then at my favorite roundabout (I'm sure I mentioned it before) I get this guy in a heavy truck (7ton plus) pulling out in front of me - I had to go around him as there was no way I was coming to a stop on an busy roundabout and as I am passing on the left I get a face full of cigarette ash...

Oh, and it turns out that moving to our new house will in all likelihood kill my bike commuting - child care is going to be a challenge (finding a kindergarten place) so it looks like we need to keep the place we have. That's 45 minutes on the train to drop off the little one and then another 30 mins to get to work. Taking the bike and stroller on the train is just not possible...

FML, ladies and gents, FML.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Only a few days commuting since january as I have been constantly working away. managed 3000 miles last year, be lucky to manage 1000 this year the way things are going.
    The good news is that they have finally opened up a new bike path that crosses the river connecting two parks together, it extends my commute by about 3 miles each way but it is a great alternative to the very busy main roads at the rush hour. I only need to cycle the final 3 miles on roads which are busy in the opposite direction.
    Much more relaxed, the bike paths are also deserted in the early mornings, just a few joggers about.

weirdo
    Light like a 700 X 54 and still maneuverable like a 26 X 4.0?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    T storms predicted today, so no ride.

No one calls me Maurice.
    No ride yesterday but lots of sun and mild temps this morning. My last trail section was a sea of mudpits (think trucks on a mud race course with water filled holes two feet deep and 6-15 feet long) connected with a thin strip of ridably dry dirt (didn't sink into the abyss). Sporty but totally worth it after missing yesterday for a CT Scan.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by 73pinz View Post
    T storms predicted today, so no ride.
    Bah, rode anyway. You must have quite a ride from Poland to LRHS

My legs haven't been into it for the last few mornings.

mtbr member
    Left 10 minutes early (which was later than I hoped). Took my super-slow singlespeed. Hit some of the singletrack on the way to work. Drivetrain was noisy - added lube. Rear wheel was a little squirrely - added air. Rear disc was noisy - starred at it, but did nothing. Still got to work 10 minutes early. Very confused.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Left 10 minutes early (which was later than I hoped). Took my super-slow singlespeed. Hit some of the singletrack on the way to work. Drivetrain was noisy - added lube. Rear wheel was a little squirrely - added air. Rear disc was noisy - starred at it, but did nothing. Still got to work 10 minutes early. Very confused.
    Probably got up an hour early.....lucky it isnt a Saturday.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    It looks like I'll be taking a new job starting in July. My daily commute will go from 40 miles RT to walking down the hallway from my bedroom to my office. I started riding to work on 2009 and since then have ridden over 46,000 miles. Not sure how I am going to handle this. It's going to take some discipline.

Well, a few more weeks of commutting at least...

weirdo
    ^^Just plain wow. I wonder if I`ve put on 46,000 miles combined pedalling and driving since 2009? Hey, maybe you can find somebody with a home office like 20 miles from you who misses commuting too, and work out a day-use exchange

As for new jobs, tomorrow I`ll hit 20 years at mine. There aren`t 20 more to comethere- the way things are going lately, every time we leave for a weekend we have to wonder if the door will be locked when we try to get back in on Monday. the most common theory/rumor says they`ll probably shut it down in December, after what remains of our busy season. Not looking forward to comming up with a PDF version of my old typed resume and figuring out how to make my computer move it around to prospective employers.
    Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    Woodway, that would be a shock to the system. wow. Mileage king, you are.

Rodar, are you the high man on that totem pole? 20 years... I'm assuming you'll be the last to go, yeah?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Talentless Hack
    Nice day, tail wind... and and commute sucked.

Every long-cycle traffic light was turning red as I got there, every stop sign had a line-up of cars that had just ripped past me pressed against the curb, every driveway had a delivery truck backing out of it, and every straightaway had a pedestrian look both ways then stride in front of me.

And there was at least one driver shouting at me in a language I did not recognize.

So hopefully we got all of that out of the way for the rest of the day/week/month?
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Almost ate it today. The MUP has a relatively short but steep hill with a 90 degree, mostly blind, turn at the bottom. There must have been a thin film of mud or something over the surface of the MUP because my front tire started skidding when I hit the turn. Although the pavement was dry, the one section immediately after the turn was wet and slippery. I heard my front wheel sliding and had a brief "Oh $#@#" moment but was able to pull off. Other than that, it was business as usual.

Wow, woodway. 46,000 is quite an accomplishment. I hope you still manage to get some riding in with your new job. If anything, you could put your bike and trainer in the hall and pedal for a half hour or so before getting to work. It won't be like the old commute, but we'll still say it counts.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    It looks like I'll be taking a new job starting in July. My daily commute will go from 40 miles RT to walking down the hallway from my bedroom to my office. I started riding to work on 2009 and since then have ridden over 46,000 miles. Not sure how I am going to handle this. It's going to take some discipline.

Well, a few more weeks of commutting at least...
    This will give you more time for that recreational riding that you were looking for last year. Sounds like the commute won't take much out of your schedule. 46,000 is a ****-ton of miles. I started riding a lot again in 2009 and am only in the 27K range. 46K is probably approaching my lifetime miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Nice day, tail wind... and and commute sucked.

Every long-cycle traffic light was turning red as I got there, every stop sign had a line-up of cars that had just ripped past me pressed against the curb, every driveway had a delivery truck backing out of it, and every straightaway had a pedestrian look both ways then stride in front of me.

And there was at least one driver shouting at me in a language I did not recognize.

So hopefully we got all of that out of the way for the rest of the day/week/month?
    No right-hooks? No Flats (in the rain)? No dump trucks snatching telephone poles into your path? ...That doesn't sound too bad.

My commute? My legs are tired. I'm tired of my legs being tired. A solution might be to stop chasing Strava segments and riding on the weekends. Nah!

mtbr member
    Standard commute today. Nothing to report good or bad. I guess that's a good thing.

Woodway... dang, man, you make my mileage look weak.

mtbr member
    Yeah I also already thought about stopping posting here. 46,000 miles ?!! :8 40 RT??!!

My commute is about 14 miles RT....and I enjoyed every piece of it today and yesterday. Calm weather, sunny and not to warm, perfect for shirt and windjacket in the morning, and only the shirt on the way back. I even kept up with somebody on a roadbike for 10 minutes on the way home today, and I think I set a new record for my roundtrip average speed today: >14 mph!! So for me it was a good day, and since the weather seems to hold up and get even warmer the next days, I am looking forward to the rest of the week. On the other hand it is getting boring by now, no wildlife anymore to see, since it is now way too much daylight already at 6.30am. By then all animals are already hiding between the trees. Besides that, the grass has grown almost a yard, so everything below that can not be seen anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    40F and clear star filled skies this morning, plus didn't see a single car for the short bit of on-road.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I've bypassed applying for a couple home-office opportunities, partly due to concern with lack of discipline for un-commuting - but I also miss some of the pluses I could have gained. I hope you enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Bah, rode anyway.
    Me too...the morning was wetter than forecast (solid rain but no thunder), and the afternoon version mostly passed through before I left, there were even some peaks of sun. Forgot my helmet too, I was pretty much a drowned rat upon arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Woodway, that would be a shock to the system. wow. Mileage king, you are.

Rodar, are you the high man on that totem pole? 20 years... I'm assuming you'll be the last to go, yeah?
    Sounds like it will be equal opportunity unemployment - sorry to hear, rodar, and best of luck with new prospects.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Warm and windy on the way in, the kind of wind where you feel like you are pedaling 100mph and you look at your computer and you are barely in the double digits. It was pretty relentless only letting up when I turned for a short time and headed south. Caught myself drifting right in the lane, and sure enough, got buzzed by a Chevy pickup who took up the rest of the lane. It felt pretty close and I let him know how many inches he missed me by holding up one of my fingers.

Ride home was uneventful, nice and slightly breezy. Campus is great right now with it being almost a ghost town. Got flipped off by a guy riding towards me on the sidewalk with a very dim headlight on, he was shielding his eyes from my blinking headlight and gave me the finger. I guess it was too bright. Oh well. If you were riding in the bike lane on the other side of the road, you wouldn't have been so close to see how bright. Just sayin.....

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I guess I`m about 3/4 up the plant-wide totem pole, but still the newbie in the Maint Dept.
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Me too...the morning was wetter than forecast (solid rain but no thunder), and the afternoon version mostly passed through before I left, there were even some peaks of sun. Forgot my helmet too, I was pretty much a drowned rat upon arrival.
    I missed all forms of rain and thunder.

It's been a while since I stopped to take some commuting pics so I present to you: My cross bike leaning on things in front of lakes. (because I know you get bored at work)
    The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I've bypassed applying for a couple home-office opportunities, partly due to concern with lack of discipline for un-commuting - but I also miss some of the pluses I could have gained. I hope you enjoy it!
    My biggest concern is that with a big commute everyday I've gotten used to eating with impunity. That will have to stop. I'm going to try and get up at the same time I usually do in the morning and going for a ride.

Rodar, good luck with the job prospects. Hope that it works out well for you.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    It's been a while since I stopped to take some commuting pics so I present to you: My cross bike leaning on things in front of lakes. (because I know you get bored at work)
    The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration
    Nice pics bedwards. Those early morning rides are just the best this time of year.

Moderator Moderator
    Lovely day. Everyone is talking about the escapees from Dannemora prison in NY, 20 miles from Canada and across the lake from VT. So far about the only theory I have not heard includes bicycles, so that is probably what they are doing. New York too 'hot,' prisoners planned to flee to VT

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute for me today. Instead I did a ride with a few friends that I normally ride with on Friday nights. My friend that I bought my fat bike from committed suicide Tuesday night. I don't know why or any of the details. JP - those 50 miles were all for you my friend. That sprint that saw 31.6 mph on the computer, yeah, on a fixed gear, that was for you. Wherever you are, I hope that you are doing alright.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My commute was train / bus - based today. I had a meeting in town with our estate agent and got a hair cut so the bike slept in the office last night.

I missed the first train, got a second that had a final stop at the stop BEFORE my stop and had to run to catch a bus...

Arrived at the office late and just a little less sweaty than if I had cycled...

Moral of the story?

Bike to work, people. Bike to work.

Moderator Moderator
    Sorry to hear about your friend TenSpeed, a terrible shock and sad loss for you and all his friends/family.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No commute for me today. Instead I did a ride with a few friends that I normally ride with on Friday nights. My friend that I bought my fat bike from committed suicide Tuesday night. I don't know why or any of the details. JP - those 50 miles were all for you my friend. That sprint that saw 31.6 mph on the computer, yeah, on a fixed gear, that was for you. Wherever you are, I hope that you are doing alright.
    Sorry to hear about your friend. It's got to be tough. I have only lost acquaintances that way, but I know the sadness hits you deep and sticks with you a while. It sucks.

CB of the East
    Sorry 10Speed. Rough one! Suicide is so hard on everyone.

Nice leisurely commute with RollingRunner who is tapering for an Olympic triathlon this weekend. I'm not participating, only volunteering as a safety kayaker.

weirdo
    Very sorry to hear that news, TenSpeed. I`ve been there and know how it is.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Well, first day back on the Pugs. Sold the Farley and wonder if I made the right decision. Can't seem to get comfortable on the Pugs just now, even with a new, long stem and wide bars and saddle. I feel slower, though time-wise it took me the same time to get to work. Moreover, I think I'm really going to miss riding in the winter with my son. We had some good adventures together. Then again, maybe by the fall I'll be able to get a second fatty again.

Ten - sorry for your loss.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Thanks everybody. Taking the day off from commuting since my legs are pretty spent from last night and the chance of storms keeps going up. Friday I will ride in, and then meet my friends after work for some two wheel therapy.

guy
    I've barely ridden the last two weeks for all kinds of reasons. Mondays I don't have enough time to ride home to get my car and make it to my Monday evening hockey league games. The next 3 Thursdays (today included) I have a MTB time trial series that again is too far from work and home to ride home and then drive in time. Several days of bad weather as well. Then all of the late nights to watch the NBA finals (I'm in Cleveland) and I have had a few days that I just plain woke up too late.

The one day I did ride this week, I had to park my bike in one of the HR offices because the empty one I usually park in is being used to store a bunch of boxes. Well, wouldn't you know that the HR offices are keyed differently than every other office, and both HR people left the office before me, leaving my bike securely locked in an office that no one had a key to. So I had to wait around until 8:30 for my neighbor to have time to pick me up. My wife had already started her night shift at the hospital. I've started scouting alternate bike parking locations. The nice part about the office was I could close the door and change there. I'll have to use the bathroom stall if I can't find another empty office, which is fine, but there is only 1.

Talentless Hack
    Drove to work (ended up with the company car last night) for the first time in 2015.

It seriously took almost twice as long as riding.

Just sayin'.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Whoa tenspeed, that sounds terrible. I was in the same situation years ago and it really simply suxx.

Nice rides again today. Quite refreshing this morning while still in the shade, later ok when I was out in the open in the sun. Rode back home in shorts, t-shirt and sandals today. Will be the same tomorrow, after that temps will go down again next week.

mtbr member
    Rode the SS 29er Genesis today. Bit low geared for road work really but the boss is bike hunting so wants to try it out having never ridden SS.

I'll hit some trails on the way home and all should be good.