Page 349 of 597 FirstFirst ... 249 299 339 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 359 399 449 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,725 of 14920
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    I took the bike out on Sebago this weekend and it was like glass! Back out skating the next day.

You only get 1 or 2 of these days ever few years so you have to make them count. They're calling for snow and rain (rain? It hasn't been above freeing even once for what seems like forever. I guess it's only been a week) this week so that's over.

The trails were nice and fast this AM, I'm hoping that the rain and snow is just enough to smooth and firm them.

I Ride for Donuts
    Wow, that's flat. I want to ride a frozen lake now.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Yeah, you do! Here's a better pic of the lake (stolen from my friends facebook page)

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Awesome! Ours are snow covered so no icy lake fun here. Well, maybe some of the bays on Lake Champlain have frozen over since the snow, I may have to check with the skaters.

A good fatbike trail ride this morning, 5F, but it's supposed to get super sloppy Tue-Thurs with a high of 54F and rain or mixed precip.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^The whole time I would be worried about falling through the ice. I don't care if it's 3' thick, I would still be thinking about it.

I Ride for Donuts
    Man, that's making me think about summer and wakeboarding. I have pictures very similar to that taken from the boat

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Well woodway, you might have had a problem with the 3 1/2 - 4". Really strong black ice though.

Wake boarding - how about an ice board toed behind a bike?

mtbr member
    This morning was a rough one. -17 F at my house this AM. The trails were supper firm, but the cold made the ride almost painful. I noticed that it seemed like I was just working so hard and couldn't get much about 8 MPH for the whole ride. I might do well to repack my hubs with some winter weight grease. Got to work completely covered in frost and my eye lashes were frozen together. Good times.

My kit worked really well, though:
    Top:
    Base - Under Armor Metal long sleeve shirt
    Mid- Universal light thermal top
    MidTop-Under Armor poly top
    Outer-REI Windflyte jacket

Bottom
    Trek chamois
    Base-Smartwool long johns
    Mid - Fleece long johns
    Outter: Novara Windwall pants

Poly socks
    Wool socks
    Keen winter hiking boots

Black Diamond Guide Gloves

Windstopper Buff
    OR Windstopper hat

Beard.

The beard is the key to staying warm.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    This morning was a rough one. -17 F at my house this AM. The trails were supper firm, but the cold made the ride almost painful. I noticed that it seemed like I was just working so hard and couldn't get much about 8 MPH for the whole ride. I might do well to repack my hubs with some winter weight grease. Got to work completely covered in frost and my eye lashes were frozen together. Good times.

My kit worked really well, though:
    Top:
    Base - Under Armor Metal long sleeve shirt
    Mid- Universal light thermal top
    MidTop-Under Armor poly top
    Outer-REI Windflyte jacket

Bottom
    Trek chamois
    Base-Smartwool long johns
    Mid - Fleece long johns
    Outter: Novara Windwall pants

Poly socks
    Wool socks
    Keen winter hiking boots

Black Diamond Guide Gloves

Windstopper Buff
    OR Windstopper hat

Beard.

The beard is the key to staying warm.
    Sounds like fun......but your kit ain't working for me...

I ride down to -35C no frost and no frozen eyelids...

The key is good googles with a nose guard and a balaclave that does not direct the breath into the googles.

I have had a beard and they are a pain in the ass when it gets cold.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    im so excited to say ill be starting off my dream of being able to bike to work on Feb 4th! got a new job and ill be living a mere 6 miles from the office, rather than 16 with no easy route like I am now.

gotta get a balaclava and a taillight and ill be all good to go!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Sounds like fun......but your kit ain't working for me...

I ride down to -35C no frost and no frozen eyelids...

The key is good googles with a nose guard and a balaclave that does not direct the breath into the googles.

I have had a beard and they are a pain in the ass when it gets cold.
    I've worn goggles in the past and just can't handle them. I also don't cover my mouth with the Buff.

It is also fairly humid here even with the cold temp (relatively speaking - 66% this AM). I get frosted up from a combination of that and the vapors wicking through my layers.

I much prefer a beard when it is cold out. Let it frost up and the face stays nice and toasty. Just a bit of a mess when coming in and it starts melting.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by lilrootrx7 View Post
    im so excited to say ill be starting off my dream of being able to bike to work on Feb 4th! got a new job and ill be living a mere 6 miles from the office, rather than 16 with no easy route like I am now.

gotta get a balaclava and a taillight and ill be all good to go!
    All right, Lilrootrx! Congrats on the new job and I hope you like riding on your new shortened route. I have to wonder though- have you really been hanging out here for 7 years with nothing to say? You must have a lurkers record
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Nice day Satrday. I went out for half the day, riding hard with stops at 3LBSs (looking for skinny Schrader tubes), the donut shope, my folks` house (sorry, Hunter), and my wife`s weekend workplace. Wore shorts for the whole ride and half of it with jacket unzipped and no gloves. That night I had a personal "first" as far as bike wrenching- converted a 7 speed UG/HG hub to 8-10 speed HG. It was very simple really, but I wanted to toot my horn over it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Wow, that's flat. I want to ride a frozen lake now.
    +1, very cool looking frozen glass! And who needs a bass boat if he has a pike bike?
    Cb, I`ve heard people ice fish at Antelope. Can you get in there without a snowmobile? I know you can drive all the wan in to Davis if you`re up for the longer road trip.

I've worn goggles in the past and just can't handle them. I also don't cover my mouth with the Buff.
    I can`t stand breathing through anything over my face either. Of course, I don`t ride in conditions nasty enough to freeze my eyelashes together, so I might have to rethink that if I had your commute, haha! Glad you enjoyed yourself.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sorry to rub it in, but it was almost 50F this morning. It's a little rainy now, but not bad.

Congrats on the job, lilroot. 6 miles is a nice commuting distance. Not too long, not too short.

mtbr member
    May 2006

It is also fairly humid here even with the cold temp (relatively speaking - 66% this AM). I get frosted up from a combination of that and the vapors wicking through my layers.

I much prefer a beard when it is cold out. Let it frost up and the face stays nice and toasty. Just a bit of a mess when coming in and it starts melting.
    Enjoy

much nicer dry and warm...neither do I cover my mouth with the balaclava.

I hate the frosty face syndrome

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Picked up a Hardrock 29er this weekend and mounted my Topeak w/fold out panniers on it instead of my Cannondale...just used to 29ers now I guess. Anyhow, Monday rolled around and I figured I would use take my Hardrock for some errands. So I rode around doing misc crud and then stopped for a burger before heading over to the grocery store. After about minutes I had more than enough groceries to fill my backpack and truck bag/panniers. Everything was going great, I hardly noticed the weight except for slight difference while turning. Well, I get right up to the apartment gate making sure to slow down but it wasn't enough. The side walk was damp and the back tire kicks out causing me to go sliding down the side walk

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Cb, I`ve heard people ice fish at Antelope. Can you get in there without a snowmobile? I know you can drive all the wan in to Davis if you`re up for the longer road trip.
    Yes they do and no you can't. But the north end of Eagle is shallow and usually freezes up pretty good, and the highway runs right by it. it was probably great during this last cold snap... I'm sure it has a bunch of snow on it though.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Congrats on the job, lilroot. 6 miles is a nice commuting distance. Not too long, not too short.
    Agreed. Mine is right at 6 miles, with the first part on dirt.... I have a 7.5 mile trail option, and a 9 mile road option. Just right.

mtbr member
    -7 for the ride in. I decided to cowboy up, dropped a layer, went bike helmet and glasses, and decided to take the long way in, and just ride harder to stay warm. it worked for the most part, still a little cold riding down from the house.

Snowing pretty good for the ride home, was inspiring. Got home, in the front door, dropped my stuff, went out the back door. Rode a bit over 5 miles of single track. Had my first epic yard sale about 50 yards from my house on the way home. Total washout going too fast down the trail, soft landing though. A pic from the top of Mt Jasper.

How was your commute today?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359422422.885812.jpg

MTB, Road, Commuting
    The trails were icy dicy on the way home with fresh powder over rutted ice. Not good. Schott, I'm guessing that is what you found? Cool pic. No yard sales for me but a little white knuckled.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice! Snowing hard on my way home too, dropped these items that I had on for the a.m.5F commute: skimpy insulated vest, 2nd pr sox, warm gloves, bib tights (kept pants ), facemask, double layer hat (switched to lightweight cap + rain cap for snow). Made pretty good time considering the snow. Traffic was light, I was the only track on some of the dirt roads. The black shepherd got my heart going but gave up at the edge of the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Yeah, you do! Here's a better pic of the lake (stolen from my friends facebook page)
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...64207527_n.jpg
    Wow, I'd like to skate there!
    Here in Holland the snow spoilt most of the ice.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Actually, all of my trails are a nice packed powder. There were a couple of low lying spots that had water ice covered with a dust that I flew right over on the way down the hills, but couldn't even think of gaining enough traction to climb. The spot that I went down on has the connector trail from my house up to the snomo trails, so it was barely solid enough to ride up, and the perfect consistency to fall into.

mtbr member
    Wait, where's my warm front? -1F, out the door. Tonight, sleet and freezing rain till sunrise.....should have bought studs.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by asphaltdude View Post
    Wow, I'd like to skate there!
    Here in Holland the snow spoilt most of the ice.
    It's over now. Covered in 4" of snow with rain on the way. We only get skating like that a few days every few years.

This morning's commute.