Page 349 of 428 FirstFirst ... 249299339345346347348349350351352353359399 ... LastLast
Results 17,401 to 17,450 of 21374
    I'd rather be on my bike
    CB - you are not exactly a "clyde" by that picture. I fall into that category even though I am barely in. When I think clyde, I think BIG, like 260+
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3984/6000

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Snapped a chain this morning
    It's been 22 years since the last one.

CB: Those are some wiiiiiide bars in the pic.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ I haven't snapped a chain since I've been carrying spare links. It's like magic.
    The bars are 780's. I loooove the wide bars. More leverage going up, more control coming down. You just have to watch the narrow tree-lined trails

I told my boys organizing things... if you want a 250lb class, make it 250. If it's 200+, I'm in! If you got it, flaunt it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by 73pinz View Post
    Here in Maine I have been using two outfits, one for the ride in (high 30's- low 40's) and one for the ride home (high 70's- low 90's).
    Maine! Nobody else here's from Maine. Where you at? I'm in Raymond/Gray. I concur, very wet. I took the extra step to add gators so the water wouldn't run into my shoes.

mtbr member
    No commute for me today. Working from home. Good weekend of not much riding. Instead I did some trail running and some hiking - helping my son get ready for a mountain race next week. The trail - 3500 elevation gain in 2.75 miles. Going up is rough. Coming down is worse. Ouch.

Starting Sprockidz tonight - summer mtb bike coaching for kids between 6 and 18. This is my second year of coaching. Hopefully it is as fun as last year.

Tomorrow will be a bit commuting day. Lots of running to do around the city. Good times. Hopefully the rain in the forecast decides to hold off until the evening.

weirdo
    Kickin butt, CB! What`s the clyde cutoff point for TransNorcal?

Sprockidz sounds like a cool plan Is your son involved?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Kickin butt, CB! What`s the clyde cutoff point for TransNorcal?

Sprockidz sounds like a cool plan Is your son involved?
    Yup, my son rides and both my daughters help coach the youngest age groups. It's a great time.

weirdo
    ^^Even cooler
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Super soggy both ways, mid 40'sF in and 50F rolling home. Flood watch and massive puddles, but no road closures etc. on my route. The rivers are full, and there are flood watches, but I only saw minor roadside erosion, not flooding. I think we have enough rain though.

A couple pix from the ride home, and a sunrise from last Thursday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1060373-1280x960-.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1060381-1280x960-.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1060363-1280x960-.jpg  

I'd rather be on my bike
    Plain jane commute. Wasn't as cold coming home as I thought so I was alright. Weird, because it is currently 48F out and it felt pretty good. Took arm warmers with me at least and my wind proof gloves so that helped. Once I rewrap these bars, the bike is done. New stem is working out really nicely and finishes off the cockpit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How was my commute? Truncated. I was just cooling off at my desk when the wife called to say our little one has fallen down at kindergarten and landed on her face. I was immediately back on the bike and pedalng so hard I swear I laid a black streak on the tarmac... Shes ok. A little sore. Poor thing.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Yesterday awesome. Rode my bike up to volunteer in the morning, then rode to work. Between all that and getting home I put in a total of 40 miles. Might do the same amount of miles today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Awkward right hook this morning. I thought the SUV was going to stop at the intersection (red light), but the driver just kept rolling. He bypassed the right turn lane and looped around the little island thing that separates the right turn lane from the intersection to make the right turn. I was in the bike lane and turning right too, but I took the turning lane as I always do. I ended up having to brake in the turning to lane to avoid getting plowed over. The driver didn't pass me until I was already heading for the turn lane and didn't turn on his turn signal until he was in the intersection.

No one calls me Maurice.
    First commute since April. I rode less in May than January and I had bronchitis then. Good ride but I felt like the weather was trying to Cat 6 me all the way in with a few rain drops here and there and a storm threatening. Not usually an issue, but with no jacket and no seat cover (brooks don't like wet), it was a push.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Awkward right hook this morning. I thought the SUV was going to stop at the intersection (red light), but the driver just kept rolling. He bypassed the right turn lane and looped around the little island thing that separates the right turn lane from the intersection to make the right turn. I was in the bike lane and turning right too, but I took the turning lane as I always do. I ended up having to brake in the turning to lane to avoid getting plowed over. The driver didn't pass me until I was already heading for the turn lane and didn't turn on his turn signal until he was in the intersection.
    That is just a big pile of dookie right there. People driving tend to just do everything wrong if they make one little mistake. In the wrong lane at a turn? Swing across traffic and almost hit a cyclist. Beats having to turn around and make a left turn.

I blame individualism for this.

mtbr member
    Rainy day, of course the bike with fenders is getting handlebar surgery (the midge experiment hasn't worked out, need to try the WTB bars I got originally but they need to be reamed out to accomodate bar ends). Hopefully the fancy bike will forgive me, I had to ride today.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Good, if a bit damp this AM. Looking forward to it clearing off this afternoon, but that might just be wishful thinking. Hard to say.

Ended up May with 537 miles, bringing my year to date to 2223.25. And...my Garmin took a bit of a dive yesterday - Was loading the bikes into the burban and had taken the GPS off and set it on the bumper. The wife had to leave and I left it on the bumper. She found it on the way home - on the road. Screen's broken. Bit PO'ed at myself over that one. I am currently using one of my daughters' wrist-top GPS units, but I really don't like it all that much.

mtbr member
    Yesterday was uneventful, which is good. Today I made a detour to the hardware store and was right hooked first, then 5 minutes later somebody left me very little space when overtaking. And then tha 4$$h0!3 turned on the windscreen cleaners so that I got showered in anti-freeze stuff. Put all my clothes in the washing machine when I got home and had to take a shower directly. Yuck.

Last sunday I rode with my 4y old son son a few rounds on a skatepark that is not finished yet. He liked it so much that we came home way too late for dinner His helmet got some beating which was a good lesson to him. Everytime I said "what if you wouldn't have a helmet on?" I think he got it. Will go back again next week though :P
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 06-03-2015 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typos corrected

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm not sure I'm sold on bike commuting in the rain. It's raining and 50 degrees today and I biked in, not as bad as 90 and humid at least.

My bike is set up for it, full fenders, disc brakes, belt drive...my heart just wasn't completely in it today. I'll get plenty more chances to try it out I'm sure.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Well I've done about 80 miles in the last two days on a single speed with full saddlebags. First sixty miles was pretty great, next twenty were just pretty dang slow. Spent four hours today cutting brush so I think that whooped me.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Took Supertramp's advice and took the long way home. Way too nice of a night not to ride. 60F and calm and it was perfect. Ran through campus on the bike path and on the deserted roads. Turned the music up and put the pedals down. This week looks really nice for commuting so I am in a great mood.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Commute this morning was nice - sunny but with a little bit of a head wind.
    Got pulled out in front of at two roundabouts today.
    First one was an older lady - totally saw me coming and misjudged my speed (why would I be going fast, right? I'm only a cyclist?). When I pulled up along side her at the level crossing just after (the gates were down for the tram to pass) she just stares straight ahead like I'm not there. No apology no nothing...
    Second one was worse - a taxi just drove straight out onto the roundabout - the driver not only didn't see me, but he didn't see the car behind me either...
    No accidents though so all in all another good day
    In other news me and the wife bought our first house yesterday! It is a little further away from work than our apartment (but in the opposite direction, if you get me?).
    My commute is going up from 11 km to 15km! More bike time

mtbr member
    Winter gear. In June.
    At least I'm getting some more use out of the stuff, eh?

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I'm not sure I'm sold on bike commuting in the rain. It's raining and 50 degrees today and I biked in, not as bad as 90 and humid at least.

My bike is set up for it, full fenders, disc brakes, belt drive...my heart just wasn't completely in it today. I'll get plenty more chances to try it out I'm sure.
    It's all about keeping warm and state of mind. If you just commit to yourself that you are going to get wet it is better.

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Took Supertramp's advice and took the long way home. ...
    #showingyourage I love eating Breakfast In America. When i take the long way home I do it Enter The Haggis style.

Anyway, the commute in was good. I took the long way in, actually. Peeks of sunshine after 3 days of solid rain.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ You're bloody well right.

Last week of school around here. I'm splitting my work time between getting paperwork wrapped up and google mapping potential fatbike rides... I'll be getting a little more scarce around here for a while. Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Here's a better look at those wide bars from the race last weekend if you're interested:

mtbr member
    A bit damp again this AM, but drying up, I think. Ended up taking the short way home last night as I didn't want to get too soaked before the bus ride and then when I got to the Valley, got a call from the wife that a neighbor was just at our house accusing one of our dogs of biting his kid. Not good. So, had to hustle home to put her mind at ease.

Got in a nice trail run with my middle child in the evening in the rain. Good times until she decided she wanted to run on the track. Ever run on a track? Boring!

Second night of MTB coaching tonight. The kids are all broken into their groups so now we can start working on skills. Hopefully the weather clears out by then.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Ever run on a track? Boring!
    It really is the worst. Counting laps until you feel the run was sufficient. Stationary bikes are just as bad though. It's just a lot of dang effort to see the same track or wall the whole time.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ You're bloody well right.
    That's logical.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Peeks of sunshine after 3 days of solid rain.
    Finally some sun here in VT also, glorious, even though it was down in the 30'sF for the ride in. Mid 60's and sunny on the ride home!

Almost had a roadside find, a new Thule strap at the car wash exit, but the buckle was destroyed!

Usually my bike is the last one at work, but today I met 2 cyclists at the rack. One was heading the other way, and one was local, but we chatted a bit and rode down to the light together. He recognized me as the "winter biker" from my Dinotte taillight.

Have a great summer CB, congrats on the race!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Great ride in and home again. Minimal excitement as I passed what looked to be another commuter possibly less than a half a mile after leaving work. The rest of the ride home was pretty boring which is good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    No real excitement to report here in sunny Oslo...

The good weather has brought out cyclists of all types, sizes genders, ages and abilities - it really is a great sight to be at the bottom of a climb and see cyclist after cyclist on the hill in front of you. Of course, the local council have partially closed the main ring road to the east of Oslo so most of these guys would normally be in their cars...

The trip home was sunny and crowded and my Cyclometer (crappy Strava type app for Windowsphone) only recorded half my ride (I want to see how many km I can put in this year) so it was a mixed bag. The trip in this morning was blustery and sunny with +15 deg C. 20deg C is reported for the trip home! Summer is here (kinda...).

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My kids are out of school, so the "end of the year" craziness that was keeping me off my bike is no longer a distraction. If every morning the weather was this perfect, I would be thrilled. Halfway through the ride I just realized how much I enjoy NOT riding in high humidity. I've been taking weekend rides later in the morning/afternoon and it's like riding in a scullery.

Got to work in reasonable time (14.35 miles in just over an hour) and now looking forward to the day. I have a planned stop at a LBS to check out the Brooks Cambium saddle(s).

mtbr member
    Good ride in this morning, if a little bit sore. Had Sprockidz last night and, after breaking my chain, I ended up powering through a 4 mile round about route to finally catch up with my group who went on a head with the other coach. Good times. Got to ride a bit of single track with a good and excited group of kids. It's going to be an awesome summer of coaching.

I'll be taking it somewhat easy on the bike over the weekend. No commute tomorrow, but an evening group ride, then Saturday I'll be hiking to the top of a mountain to do timing for a mountain running race. Sunday I want to go for a long-ish run, but we'll have to see how my legs feel. Right now I have some real tightness in my hips.

Bedwards Of The West
    The thought of training for a 10k crossed my mind this morning... Not sure what happened there, I'm going to ignore that little thought for now

Jelako, the Brooks Cambium belongs on my Ogre... just so hard to spend that kind of money on a seat...

I'm looking at 2 or 3 more commute mornings (teacher) depending on how productive I am... Looking forward to the summer slowdown.

guy
    Just got back from a quick 5 day vacation last night and opted to drive this morning to give me a chance to ease my way back into the work routine. My legs are also sore from hiking on our trip. Planning to ride tomorrow and my wife is on night shift so I don't have to hurry home to let the dog out. That means I can put in an extra 20-30 miles.

mtbr member
    Today was cycle2work day at work. The worst thing is, that I did not notice until lunchtime. In the restaurant all meals had a name somethimg to do with bikes (noodles: wobbly spokes etc) No present at the entrance, no tents in front of the restaurant, no group picture, bikeshow, nothing.

And even the weather was finally nice today, no 30knot wind, no clouds....just very calm, sunny and warm enough to ride in shorts and T-shirt. Tomorrow it's gonna be hot and humid, will take my sandals for the ride home with me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Maine! Nobody else here's from Maine. Where you at? I'm in Raymond/Gray. I concur, very wet. I took the extra step to add gators so the water wouldn't run into my shoes.
    Poland, and commute to LRHS. I think
    my parents live very near to you. (5 brown rd.)

CB of the East
    ^^ Bait shop? Yeah, we're within a few houses.

Moderator Moderator
    BMX Thursday! Not quite sure how it can only be 2 minutes slower over 8 miles than my cross bike...traffic lights and speedy acceleration off the mark? Faster up the final 1 mile hill because I'm mostly standing? Magic 24" tires? Slow no matter what machine? Lightest bike I own? It's still a mystery, but it keeps it interesting.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Very pleasant today with the normal headwind from the west. Kept up with traffic, passed a few cars, rode the bike lane. Same as every other day. Ride home was just beautiful and I didn't want to stop so I did a few extra miles through campus which was truly deserted. I didn't see a pedestrian, a car, a bike, nothing. It was a complete ghost town and that is fine with me. Got a friendly wave from a city cop on a bike which was pretty cool, although he was riding blacked out on the sidewalk. Now I am home, showered and had a snack, browse a little, then hit the sack. All in all a good days ride ruined by 8.5 hours of work

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The ride home was all wind in the face & high humidity. Woke up sore, so I know I got my work in.

Stopped at two LBS. The one with Brooks saddles and no Cambians in stock (just the tester). The loaner/tester is not the "Carved" version. After speaking with a couple of the mechanics, I am even more conflicted whether to get the "carved" or not.

Stopped at the other dealer that sells "Breezer". The Breezer Beltway Elite has been sold out since March. He said the 2016s won't be announced until July/Aug and probably available October.

I would love a "Spot Brand" Wazee, but the Beltway just has so much value at it's price point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelako View Post
    The ride home was all wind in the face & high humidity. Woke up sore, so I know I got my work in.

Stopped at two LBS. The one with Brooks saddles and no Cambians in stock (just the tester). The loaner/tester is not the "Carved" version. After speaking with a couple of the mechanics, I am even more conflicted whether to get the "carved" or not.

Stopped at the other dealer that sells "Breezer". The Breezer Beltway Elite has been sold out since March. He said the 2016s won't be announced until July/Aug and probably available October.

I would love a "Spot Brand" Wazee, but the Beltway just has so much value at it's price point.
    I really like my Beltway, but if you have a Scott dealer maybe look at the Sub Speed 10. Looks like a nice belt drive/IGH bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The local dealer that sells Scott is also a Specialized dealer. And they *REALLY* like Specialized. One of my pet peeves in this day and age is: "We can order that in for you". I get that LBS have to be selective about how much inventory they have on hand, but when the ENTIRE FLOOR is FILLED with $2000-$5000 Specialized Road and Mountain Bikes, you couldn't allow ONE Scott Commuter?

/Rant

I love the Green on the Sub Speed 10. That being said, the Breezer really has a lot of value: Racks, Fenders, Lights, Kickstand, & Bell (hehe).

Regardless, I really want to commit to getting up to 4 days a week and stay with it. Right now I have invested in Big Apples and a Seat Post rack w/ Trunk Bag. If I can stay with it 2-3 months, I would like to move to a Belt Drive with Internal Geared hub. Having commuted After/During Rain a few...I am looking forward to eventually getting fenders.

I'd rather be on my bike
    You can get up to 4 days a week on any bike, doesn't need to be commuter specific. It helps, but it is totally doable on just about anything on 2 wheels. BMX to fixed gear to fancy road bike, we all do it.

Bedwards Of The West
    Wheeew...the local club does a time trial once a month, and it was last night. After two commutes yesterday I realized I was going to be able to make it (schedule opened up). 12 mile out and back with the headwind coming on the way back... oh man that hurt. This morning I had a bit of the jelly legs going on.

mtbr member
    Well I am satisfied that I rode 5 of 5 days this week. This morning was quite cold with barely 10C, but the temp went up to over 30C late in the afternoon. First time this year I could ride in shirt, shorts and sandals. Temps will fall rapidly again the next days, somehow pretty unstable weather so far.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelako View Post
    One of my pet peeves in this day and age is: "We can order that in for you".
    That one always drives me nuts too. If it has to be ordered, why would I have YOU order it for me when I could just order it myself for a better price and have it show up right to my door? I came to the shop so I could hopefully get it right now!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^^ Especially when you called and they said they had one, so your drove 25 miles to discover they were mistaken! Wrong model, wrong size, wrong color, or it was sold that morning and the sales person did not check…

Shipping is cheaper than the vehicle use and I save an hour+ out of my life going to and from the LBS. Usually I combine it with several other stops. If the trip was primarily for the bike part, and the rest could have waited a couple of weeks, you still feel like it was bait and switch time and you return bike-part-less.

If they only have one, I ask them to put my name on it now. I am investing time and vehicle use and am primed to buy, so they can invest in a little customer service. My phone call is in line ahead of a later walk-in.

mtbr member
    I passed my heart stress test. So it looks like my chest pain is from inadequate NO production to open the heart arteries under exercise. Treatable and not life threatening. Pass the nitro glycerin!

Was feeling good on this ride and one of my faster recent climbs out of the valley both outbound and returning. This is a section of road going through the golf course about a half mile north of where I live.

The Garmin read 33 mph briefly on the one downhill. I di not remember doing it much faster or holding above 30 as long either. Cross wind. Not as fast A I once was but still crankin'!

June is busting out all over. The clematis, day lilies, roses, prickly pear, and sweet pea are in flower.

The sweet pea smells very nice!

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ nice pictures!!! What did you take them with? The color is really sharp.

Friday night I did my group ride. It was decent out, mid 60's with this strange mist in the air. It wasn't raining, but it wasn't dry out either. Almost like when a sprinkler is going and the wind picks up and you ride by and just that mist gets you, that is what it was like out. The group split off and did random things, me, I set a new record for speed. Raced another fixed gear rider off a light and we hit 32.6 mph according to my Cateye GPS based computer. That is the fastest I have ever gone on a bike, let alone a fixed gear. I meant to take a picture of it, and of course ended up accidentally resetting it. OOPS. Kept riding, raced another rider this time on a geared bike off a light. I did not get a good jump but managed to eek out 31.4 mph as a top speed. This was on a deserted road on campus that is really smooth. All in all, it was a good night. Temps dropped to the low 50's by the time we were done but there was no rain. My 100mm stem has to come off because it is just too long and stretches me out and my hands are painful from resting on the bars. I figured that the reach would be too much but couldn't pass up the stem. I learned. Total miles ridden was 55.6. Took Saturday off to rest my legs and Sunday there are storms in the forecast. If it holds off before work I will ride in.