Page 348 of 605 FirstFirst ... 248 298 338 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 358 398 448 ... LastLast
Results 8,676 to 8,700 of 15112
    mtbr member
    Not so great of a ride this AM. Feeling dead in the legs. The weather was great, though. Mid 20s with a bit of cloud cover. Nothing exciting to report.

Riding home yesterday I did see a guy out riding in shorts. I think we were around 30 or so with beautiful blue skies.

mtbr member
    The shirt is from Fitzgerald's Bicycles in Jackson Hole, WY.

It has warmed up to a balmy 3 degrees. I'm gonna sweat like a stuck pig on the way home...I wore my ski helmet down today because it was -19.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    wet slush at 9am turns into formed salt crystals by 5pm.
    neat!
    it's like a metaphor for my workday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-saltytires.jpg  

If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Was a chilly morning ride. 3 degrees F with 15 mph headwinds. Lucky there wasn't much moisture in the air. Warmed up another 10 for the ride home, but at least I don't have to use my light on the trip home anymore. Hello sunshine. Been missing you.

mtbr member
    It was warm enough tonight to wear shorts and tee shirt. A nice balmy 55F, almost feels like summer. This little heat wave is a nice reminder of lost summer days.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

crashed!

I've been riding the same route for 4 years and I've never had an incident until today. I bought some Mach Schnell goggles to try for the ride this morning. They fogged up quickly and I slowed down to adjust them. Not exactly sure what happened but the next thing I remember is my helmet bouncing off the concrete. I just put some 700x 42 knobby tires on and I'm hoping this will keep me from sliding as I'm assuming that's what happened. I always wear my helmet but I can say for certain now that I will never get on a bike without one because of what happened today. I feel that I would probably be in a lot worse shape had it not been for the helmet.

weirdo
    ^^ Ouch! What was the damage, Jason? I don`t know what kind of surface you were riding on (ice?), but unless it was dirt or sticky snow, I doubt knobbies would have helped much. You had slicks on when you went down?

Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    It was warm enough tonight to wear shorts and tee shirt.
    Took a detour through Anchorage on your way? Sounds like Blockphi saw you ride by

Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    wet slush at 9am turns into formed salt crystals by 5pm.
    neat!
    Damn, that`s some serious salt! If Clagary does it up like that, I think I finally understand how JeffScott goes through so many BBs and headsets.

Warm and rainy. If the rain keeps up, the remainder of our stale Christmas snow will probably be gone by morning. Replaced by mud, of course
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post

Took a detour through Anchorage on your way? Sounds like Blockphi saw you ride by
    It had been single digit temps lately and another storm is on the way, I had to rub in in some while I can. :-)

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Dang Jason, be careful out there.

I've never been so pleased to have the weatherman be wrong. The predicted -25F for this morning is sitting at -3F instead. Not that I am being a weenie or anything, but I'll take the warm spell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just about 20 miles south of here it is 24F and pouring down rain. Talk about miserable weather. Apparently the interstate is a solid block of ice as the rain is freezing on impact. Fortunately for me, it's just dark here with the slightest hint of wintry mix thrown in. All in all, it was a pleasant commute.

Moderator Moderator
    -8F when I left. I decided to take the MTB for a snappier ride than the fatbike. Since it was so “warm” I ditched the ski helmet and goggles, I just dislike them, plus it’s supposed to get up to about +8 for the ride home. There were some chilly spots, especially since the wind had not died down as much as they’d said, and it also felt colder in the hollows 600’ lower than my house. I was glad I opted for the tunes today.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    A solid block of ice interstate sounds like an awesome studded tire commute as long as they kept the cars off of it.

I was moving pretty slow for this morning's ride in. At the end of this week my body feels pretty sore from falling down a half a flight of stairs, riding the trails every day, having some mild flu type aches and then getting a short nights sleep because i was dealing with some tenant induced frozen pipes. Anyway, happy Friday

I Ride for Donuts
    Ouch Jason...hopefully just little bumps and bruises...?

Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    it's like a metaphor for my workday...
    ^^
    That is a ton of salt. Glad they don't do that around here.

Here's my morning:
    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RENO HAS ISSUED A DENSE FOG ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM PST FRIDAY. * TIMING: DENSE FOG IS DEVELOPING ACROSS LASSEN...EASTERN PLUMAS AND EASTERN SIERRA COUNTIES. THE DENSE FOG WILL CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. * VISIBILITY: BELOW 1/4 MILE AT TIMES WITH LOCALIZED AREAS LESS THAN 100 YARDS.

It's pretty cool out there... the headlight beam is has never been more defined. it's warmed up A LOT (32 F!), and I thought I was getting SOAKED... when I arrived, it was just the forward facing stuff that was getting the wet... even the back of my arms on the softshell jacket were totally dry.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    A solid block of ice interstate sounds like an awesome studded tire commute as long as they kept the cars off of it.

...and then getting a short nights sleep because i was dealing with some tenant induced frozen pipes.
    Hmmm. Yeah, frozen interstate sans cars would be killer . I`ve been wondering about a related question. Being so damned cold, your trail condidtions are probably not changing in the slightest bit. Did teh superfreeze hit with things in a solid, smooth state, or rutted, or snow left uncompacted, or... ?

Frozen pipes: the worst. Worse than riding in the wind. I haven`t had mine freeze up since I bought my new trailer about ten years ago, but my sister-in-law ued to freeze up several times per year in her old trailer, bought a new (built in the 50s) duplex last year that`s better for freezing but has every other plumbing problem imagineable. Anyway, my heartfelt condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    It's pretty cool out there... the headlight beam is has never been more defined. it's warmed up A LOT (32 F!), and I thought I was getting SOAKED... when I arrived, it was just the forward facing stuff that was getting the wet... even the back of my arms on the softshell jacket were totally dry.
    CB, one or the of us must be stuck in some kind of microclimate system lately. You`re usually about 5* colder than me, but for the past few weeks the difference has been at least twice that much. It`s overcast and drizzly here too, but already almost 40F.

No workie again- haven`t had a full week since before Christmas. Kinda like being a teacher, except the days off can`t be stacked together to make a nice vacation
    As much as I dislike riding in wet, I think I`ll man up today and go ride. I have more brevets in mind for March and it might not be too late to whoop myself into better shape than I was in for the New Years eve ride.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    The trails around here are very mixed. From uncompacted, to very firm slightly washboard to post holed very washboard. And you are right, they have been exactly the same all week. The only traffic they get during the week is me. They could all use about 2" of snow and some traffic to pack it into the spaced. The singletrack detour is killer glazed hardpack. They are actually calling for rain next week, we'll see.

I Ride for Donuts
    There are definitely some weird pockets of cold air doing strange things around here lately. I'm going by the weather station at the little airport here...I think it's pretty accurate. Right this second it says 36*
    It does a temperature graph for the day, by the way, and I've found that my commute time (6:30 to 7:00ish) is generally the coldest time of the whole night/day. Generally a dip there. today's was not as pronounced, but there's a dip right around 6:00, working back up by 7:00 or so. Some days it's a very severe dip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-wxstationgraphall.gif  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Was way over-dressed for the commute this morning. Phone said 39 but it felt a lot warmer than that, was sweating rather profusely by the time I got to work. But in consideration, the humidity was pretty high.

The snow has melted, the ice is gone, anything dirt has turned to mud - but it is hidden under a very thin crust of solid appearing ground that you don't feel it until you're tire deep in it. It's even better when there's a gravel road after the mud so the tires pick up the gravel and it starts spitting out when you hit the road.

Looks like more rain in the forecast, turning to snow showers early next week. I'm going to have to rig up a better rear fender though since I'm still getting sprayed even with the rear rack. Oh well, weekend project.

Big rep though to all you guys headed out in the cold! Commuters: the true hard men (and women) of cycling.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    As much as I dislike riding in wet, I think I`ll man up today and go ride.
    What's not to like about riding in the wet?

mtbr member
    ^^ Wet's not great. Car snot power & fluff on compressed snow is worse. Should have mounted the Nokians. A slow ride but a careful one.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator

Elevation gain is not without pain

On the crest of a hill I reside,
    So it's always an uphill ride...

Pedal home from the west,
    Pedal home from the east,
    Either way it's always a beast!

But you have to get home,
    so there's no second guessing,
    And if I had to drive
    It would be so depressing.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ Wet's not great. Car snot power & fluff on compressed snow is worse. Should have mounted the Nokians. A slow ride but a careful one.

BrianMc
    Just havin a little fun with rodar. I had 93 rides in the rain last year. I don't even notice it anymore, haha.

Moderator Moderator
    ...I was moving pretty slow for this morning's ride in. At the end of this week my body feels pretty sore from falling down a half a flight of stairs, riding the trails every day, having some mild flu type aches and then getting a short nights sleep because i was dealing with some tenant induced frozen pipes. Anyway, happy Friday
    Happy Friday and hope you feel better. Riding in this cold is a drain and your stair thumping on top of that - TGIF!

weirdo
    I don`t care how soaked I get as long as I`m nekkit

I rode clothed today. No water falling from the sky, but a good bit splattering up from below (bike bidet?) and lots of mud between my door and the street. I ended up doing an extended test and adjust ride on a "new" bike I`m working on. Rode around for about 90 minutes with a pocket full of wrenches getting things dialed in nicely. If it doesn`t rain tomorrow, I`ll ride it into town for a visit to Mom and Dad. I should call now and make sure there will be leftovers for me
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    The trails around here are very mixed. From uncompacted, to very firm slightly washboard to post holed very washboard. And you are right, they have been exactly the same all week. The only traffic they get during the week is me. They could all use about 2" of snow and some traffic to pack it into the spaced. The singletrack detour is killer glazed hardpack. They are actually calling for rain next week, we'll see.
    I'm really losing patience with the postholers! Last Saturday I snowshoed to stomp things flatter, even adding trailside snow to the holes, an Sunday I re-skiied it to smooth it up, and by Tuesday it was lumpy again - drat! Bit the snowmachined sections are fine...with the fatbike.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Full moon, clear night, moderately warm (approaching 40ºF!!) - what's not to love. Guided another commuter down a new trail so he could go visit his parents. My parents live a minimum of an 18 hour flight away, so I am quite envious of him that he can just ride to visit his.