• 05-27-2015
    rodar y rodar
    Wow, I miss a day and there are a zillion posts I want to comment on!

Hornet hair = not good. Glad you somehow escaped a sting or three.

TrailRunner, what a cool trip! It looks like some rail trail in there. Have you done anything like that before? Wishing you drier (or at least warmer wet) weather for the big one comming up.

Dump truck taking out a signal definitely makes for a memorable commute.

Was half expecting Jeff Scott to explain that his shifting was out of whack because the cassete was on the wrong side.
  • 05-27-2015
    blockphi
    Good commute today. Nothing new under the sun, but there is sun and that is enough for me. Today will see me break 500 mile for the month. Nice. Still need to bump it up a bit more to hit my goal for this year, though I might back off on that a bit as I've been running a bit more lately and think that it would do me well to do more of that for a while - maybe one ride on the weekend instead of two? The little bit of running I have been doing has had a good effect on my riding. Even with tired and sore legs I feel stronger on climbs and my breathing seems much more controlled.

On Saturday I did a few hill sprints with my son. He did 29. I did five. I was destroyed. He was ready to do more. I wish I were 13 still. He just never runs out of energy. Dang.
  • 05-27-2015
    BrianMc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    That dump truck driver was having a bad day.

Worse when he got to the first overpass and stuck!
  • 05-27-2015
    TenSpeed
    So I lost a water bottle off the back of my bike last night on the way home. I run a Specialized Zee RH cage mounted to a XLab Delta 1000 saddle rail mount. I have not even had it come loose in the past 1000 miles or whatever since mounting it since it fits perfectly and the design of the cage holds the bottle in. Rode to the shop today to see about getting a replacement bar end cap since mine got fubared on my wreck. Half way to the shop I reach back to get my water, and that bottle is gone as well. Seriously? Less than 12 hours and I dropped two bottles that are the exact same kind. Never even heard it hit the ground. Rode home after hanging for a bit, and I found the second one not even half a mile from my place. I am a bit dumbfounded as to why these are coming off. I am going to take the mounts off for now and just put a bottle in my bag.
  • 05-27-2015
    Kleebs
    The weather for the ride home yesterday warmed up way past what was predicted, reaching nearly 90! It was also very windy, but lucky for me it was a tailwind for the northerly stretches of my route. Another bit of luck - both Strava segments on my ride home run from south to north. Needless to say I PR'd them both, reaching #2 all time on a 1.3 mile stretch by averaging 24.4 mph, and #6 all time on a 1.6 mile stretch by averaging 26.8 mph. Speeds like that make me feel like a boss :cool:. Even with the wind giving me a push, I don't know how the hell the guys above me could maintain their speeds.

Took today off because there are thunderstorms forecasted for this afternoon.
  • 05-27-2015
    WiTrailRunner
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    TrailRunner, what a cool trip! It looks like some rail trail in there. Have you done anything like that before? Wishing you drier (or at least warmer wet) weather for the big one comming up.

Thanks, Rodar! My first time combining biking and camping. We did have a section of rail to trail that we promptly bailed on after about 15 miles. It was way more exhausting than pavement riding and both of us didn't care for it on road bikes during the middle of such a long ride.

TenSpeed, that's pretty crazy. I've lost my fair share of tail lights, but never a water bottle yet.
  • 05-27-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    A dump truck passed through the intersection with the truck bed partially extended. I was standing waiting for the light to change, when POOF. The green light went flying through the air and landed about 15 feet away from me on the side of the road.

Wow, I've heard of cyclists running a traffic light, but never having to RUN from a traffic light.

No excitement here compared to recent posts! Thanks to all the contributors.

I escaped the threat of severe thunderstorms by riding anyhow. Apparently I was fortunate not to be in Georgia VT where a boat on dry land caught fire from lightning Lightning strike ignites fishing boat in Vermont | Local News - WPTZ Home
  • 05-28-2015
    Ghost_HTX
    I had an interesting commute today; I was riding behind an older gentleman this morning, maybe a meter or so behind. I then decide to go past and when I'm almost along side he starts signalling wildly that he will turn left (there is no left turn to take).

He wanted to stop me going by! All he did was pull out into the middle of the road! Anyway - we were coming up to a level crossing (tram tracks) and I'm thinking - maybe he was warning me about the crossing (the lights were red). That was nice of him.

No - he then rides AROUND the lowered gates and crosses IN FRONT of the coming tram! I wait for the gates to raise up and set off after him. I caught him again and he pulled the same shit! I went to pass him on the left and he pulled out in front of me again! This time I expected it and just jinked around him on the right and kicked like hell - a**hole move, I know but I HAD to get past... He was a liability and likely to cause a crash!
  • 05-28-2015
    mtbxplorer
    ^^That is pretty absurd, it almost sounds like a dream, maybe there is some symbolism there, in real life...cue dream analysis posters. Glad you did not have to see him get smushed by the train though.
  • 05-28-2015
    NDD
    Ghost_HTX, I am beginning to think that very old people on bikes are a liability in general. Tuesday I was coming back home on some bike paths and this old fella is riding real slow with his dog running along the right side of him on a leash. I called out that I was passing, he didn't seem to notice as he was kinda swerving between the two lanes. Called out again. Finally decide I'd pass him real slow so I'm going by him at about 10 mph because I don't wanna buzz by him. As I'm passing he looks over at me and shouts "announce yourself, young man". I just held my tongue. Dude needed a hearing aid.
  • 05-28-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    I had an interesting commute today; I was riding behind an older gentleman this morning, maybe a meter or so behind. I then decide to go past and when I'm almost along side he starts signalling wildly that he will turn left (there is no left turn to take).

He wanted to stop me going by! All he did was pull out into the middle of the road! Anyway - we were coming up to a level crossing (tram tracks) and I'm thinking - maybe he was warning me about the crossing (the lights were red). That was nice of him.

No - he then rides AROUND the lowered gates and crosses IN FRONT of the coming tram! I wait for the gates to raise up and set off after him. I caught him again and he pulled the same shit! I went to pass him on the left and he pulled out in front of me again! This time I expected it and just jinked around him on the right and kicked like hell - a**hole move, I know but I HAD to get past... He was a liability and likely to cause a crash!

I'm with mtbx. You sure you weren't still sleeping? That's some crazy stuff there.

I had a similar experience with a scooter this morning, only the scooter had its right turn signal on and kept swerving to the right side of the road. Oh, and the rider was a teen, not an old man. And there were no train tracks. I guess that's not really similar at all, but I needed a segue. ;)
  • 05-28-2015
    formula4speed
    Not really an interesting story but it's humid here, really humid.

72 degrees when I left sounds nice, but 93% humidity had me dripping sweat.
  • 05-28-2015
    Ghost_HTX
    Scouts honour guys - this actually factually happened.

Looking out the window it looks like I'm going to experience 100% humidity on my ride home. Big hulking drops of humidity falling from the sky!

It must be a bit*h to stay hydrated in those sort of conditions, formula4speed:
  • 05-28-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    We believe you, Ghost. We really do. Don't we, guys? :rolleyes:

No, really. Seriously. We believe you. Honest.
  • 05-28-2015
    Ghost_HTX
    Look! It happened, OK! Right after the pink elephant driving the day glow orange Prius pulled out in front of me. Jimmy Hoffa was in the passenger seat.

Science Fact.

:D
  • 05-28-2015
    NDD
    Look... Let's just not talk about Jimmy Hoffa...:skep:
  • 05-28-2015
    TenSpeed
    No commute for me today as it is a rest day for this weekend. Heading to Chicago with a friend tomorrow for Critical Mass and then to ride the city Saturday. Short trip but will be well worth it. Going through my bike stuff I realized that I have a lot of lights and gloves. I would like to see 100+ miles but I am not sure that it will happen.
  • 05-28-2015
    ghettocruiser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Worse when he got to the first overpass and stuck!

Just a heads up, when a passing dump truck catches an overhead phone cable, the cable doesn't break. The poles break.

Something I learned a few years back...
  • 05-28-2015
    blockphi
    A bit of a slog today. Last night went and ran/hiked a short trail with my son after work. 2.75 miles - 3500 feet of elevation gain. It's a killer. My son is preparing for the annual race that they hold on this trail. Read about it and the other Alaska Mountain Running Grand Prix races here. So, figured I'd head out with him and get in some extra exercise.

It's funny, for all the riding I do, I really realize how over-specialization in training is just about as bad as not exercising at all. Whew.
  • 05-28-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post

^^ Heck of a story!

Quote:

Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Not really an interesting story but it's humid here, really humid.

^^ Not so much. :lol:

Hilarious. :lol: :lol:
  • 05-28-2015
    rodar y rodar
    I had a meeting after work today, then had a few loose strings to take care of before I could go, so ended up leaving about 8:00 instead of seven. That extra hour made it warm enough to ride in complete summer commute uniform (no gloves, no jacket, no `clava) for the first time. Actually, I probably could have been pretty comfortable that way on several homebound trips lately, but it hasn`t tempted me until today. Also, noticeably less traffic in the residential zone I go through leaving the plant. Not like my standard morning traffic jams are really anything to complain about, but still...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I guess that's not really similar at all, but I needed a segue. ;)

So, which side was the Segue swerving to?
  • 05-28-2015
    CommuterBoy
    ^^ Me too, Rodar! Today was my first day in shorts AND short sleeves... arm warmers the past few mornings, but they were too warm yesterday. So nice to be in the summer uniform. And all that room in the backpack on the way home...

It's supposed to be up to 89 for our big local XC race on Saturday. I'm in for 18 miles and 2500 feet or so of climbing... That's going to feel hot...
  • 05-28-2015
    rodar y rodar
    89* for Sat? Wow! I guess the weather has flipped over again- crazy May. I cranked up my swamp cooler about 3 weeks ago, enjoyed it for one day, then closed the louvers and didn`t even consider turning it on again until yesterday afternoon. Looks like we`re back to SpringGoingOnSummer.

Good luck in the race.
  • 05-28-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Yeah I haven't uncovered the cooler yet... Will probably wish I had this weekend.

Thanks... I usually hang just off of the podium in the sport class...but this year they introduced a clydesdale class for 200+LBS, and I tip the scales at about 215, so I jumped in there. Hoping I can hang with the sport guys and outrun the big boys.
  • 05-28-2015
    bedwards1000
    Quote:

Yeah I haven't uncovered the cooler yet... Will probably wish I had this weekend.

Thanks... I usually hang just off of the podium in the sport class...but this year they introduced a clydesdale class for 200+LBS, and I tip the scales at about 215, so I jumped in there. Hoping I can hang with the sport guys and outrun the big boys.

Really, I never pictured you as a clyde! I usually sit right in the middle of the sport class if real racers show up.

Commutes have been awesome, full summer garb. I'll wear shorts down to freezing but I've just started ditching the windbreaker layer this week.
  • 05-28-2015
    Marc2211
    Weird day today - about 14C, sunny, so thought I'd take the road bike I've not ridden in about 3 months.

Half way to work a truck in front of me stops suddenly, but didn't have brake lights. I couldn't go around, so did an emergency stop from about 35km/h. Got everything crossed up, skidded, and reminded myself why I never ride on the road any more! I decided to sell the road bike as I just can't afford to be injured and don't enjoy it.

I get to work and post on our buy/sell boards... The bike was sold an hour later for only 50$ less than I paid for it.

Weird to be taking the train home for the first time in about 15 months!

Back on the mtb tomorrow!
  • 05-28-2015
    Ghost_HTX
    My commute home was wet and uneventful. I can feel a mild cold coming on. Nothing more to report.

Oh, I saw my first 29+ bike in person, though. Looks kinda like a skinny fat bike... :)
  • 05-28-2015
    Kleebs
    Nothing to report from my commute this morning, but my wife had an interesting story. Kind of a bizarro bike commute story. She was on her way to class this morning (in her car) and was stopped at a stop light, and a cyclist ran full speed into the back of her car. Supposedly no damage to the car, but the cyclist went down hard. Sounds painful! Just a reminder that I need to pay attention on my ride home.
  • 05-28-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Really, I never pictured you as a clyde! I usually sit right in the middle of the sport class if real racers show up.

Commutes have been awesome, full summer garb. I'll wear shorts down to freezing but I've just started ditching the windbreaker layer this week.

Yeah with "real racers" it's a little further off of the podium. ha. We have over 60 guys pre-registered and quite a few sponsored dudes and dudettes (got USA cycling points race approved this year), so it might be ugly :lol:

You're not alone... most of the local guys have been heckling me about my Clyde status and don't believe it either...there may very well be a scale at check-in, just for me. I've been joking about 'making weight' like a boxer or wrestler or something :lol:

I'm almost 6'3", and I guess I hide it well... (its' all muscle, I swear:rolleyes:) but I'm a legit 215. I've been 215 since 8th grade :lol: This is the first time it's been an advantage :idea:
  • 05-28-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Comedy of errors to start with, but improved from there. Decided I should drive to work today as I had a noon deadline and also promised to bring a coworker some boxes this week for moving...loaded said boxes, prepared to leave...remembered car has to go to shop today, and no way I can carry the boxes on the bike or bus...unload said boxes, load bike, and go to shop. Pull in and realize I don't have my pack with phone, money, underwear, etc...return home, grab pack...return car to shop, now thinking I will be 20 minutes late instead of early to work on my deadline project...pedal the BMX like mad and I am not early, but I am on time!

I also missed the scattered thunderstorms for the second day in a row, which was nice since I was fenderless.
  • 05-29-2015
    formula4speed
    I just completed my first ever perfect month, biked to work every day. Riding 5 days in a week isn't uncommon for me, but I've never managed a full month before.

Not as impressive as the guys here who ride all the time no matter what, but since I don't think anyone else cares that I did it I'm sharing with you guys.
  • 05-29-2015
    NDD
    Quote:

I just completed my first ever perfect month, biked to work every day. Riding 5 days in a week isn't uncommon for me, but I've never managed a full month before.

Not as impressive as the guys here who ride all the time no matter what, but since I don't think anyone else cares that I did it I'm sharing with you guys.

I'd rep ya if I could, but it won't let me. Regardless, good job!

I haven't been able to ride much the past two weeks. People keep needing me to drive them around or run errands (for work, which I have to use my own car for and they won't let me bike to do). Yesterday I had to run around for hours after work getting a terrarium and then buying a gecko from my buddy. Today I'm driving said gecko down to southern Missouri because I got it as a gift for my girlfriend and she's working down there for a few months.

There's hope for the future though that I'll join you in the feat, though. Starting in the middle of June I won't even have a car. I'll be living a mile and a half from work though, shop I can still cheat by walking, not much of a commute. Oh well. Sorry for being long winded.
  • 05-29-2015
    woodway
    Quote:

Nicely done!
  • 05-29-2015
    BrianMc
    ^^ Covered the Rep for you, NDD!

215 is pretty lean for 6' 3", CB! Now I am below 190, people think I am lighter than that. No skinny 'old guy' legs because of the cycling, I guess! :)

Just passed a stress test (first I have taken in 8 years), so I suspect the chest pain cycling was related to Hydro Cortisone which just before the test I weaned off of. My temps are back up. In fact, my wife tells me I'm hot! Unfortunately, literally and not figuratively hot.

I have pictures in my mind of Mtbxplorer cutting across lots, riding up and down stairs like many MBX riders to get the shortest possible route and be on time. I know she is too law-abiding, but the Dr. Jeckyl and Ms. Hyde transformation from sedate Subie driver to urban cycling guerilla, made me smile and though it is entirely fictitious I'm sure, I had to share it. :) Hope it makes you all smile.
  • 05-29-2015
    bedwards1000
    Nice work Formula4Speed! 5 days a week can be hard to achieve because of life demands.

Quote:

Yeah with "real racers" it's a little further off of the podium. ha. We have over 60 guys pre-registered and quite a few sponsored dudes and dudettes (got USA cycling points race approved this year), so it might be ugly :lol:

You're not alone... most of the local guys have been heckling me about my Clyde status and don't believe it either...there may very well be a scale at check-in, just for me. I've been joking about 'making weight' like a boxer or wrestler or something :lol:

I'm almost 6'3", and I guess I hide it well... (its' all muscle, I swear:rolleyes:) but I'm a legit 215. I've been 215 since 8th grade :lol: This is the first time it's been an advantage :idea:

Yeah, at 6'3" that's not that hard to carry. I'm 6' 0-1" and topped out at 220 in about 8th grade. I bottomed out in the 168 range and now I'm creeping back toward 180. I just got the Fitbit Charge HR as an incentive to get back to the 168 number. It's an impressive little gadget.

RollingRunner and I took the long way in, stellar morning. I needed steel toes for a site I was visiting so I wore them with bike shorts and took a flat peddle bike, it was a sight.
  • 05-29-2015
    cyclingdutchman
    So I just made it back home today. That makes 100% cycling this week. Next week I will probably have to drive on Wednesday, would make 4 out of 5, still not too bad.

This morning I noticed that my tail light is not working, will have to do some troubleshouting there over the weekend. Not that I need it, but I simply want it to work.

@formula4speed: Congrats on a whole month riding! Somehow I always have to drive 2-3 times a month...but will keep striving for a 100% month of course.
  • 05-29-2015
    formula4speed
    Thanks all, I got pretty lucky with the weather this month. Dodged quite a few thunderstorms. Don't think I'll be able to get 2 months in a row just yet, but it's something to aim for.
  • 05-29-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post

I have pictures in my mind of Mtbxplorer cutting across lots, riding up and down stairs like many MBX riders to get the shortest possible route and be on time. I know she is too law-abiding, but the Dr. Jeckyl and Ms. Hyde transformation from sedate Subie driver to urban cycling guerilla, made me smile and though it is entirely fictitious I'm sure, I had to share it. :) Hope it makes you all smile.

Well, you have the fictitious part right, my skilz are substandard and yesterday I thought to myself that people must be "WTF??? a BMX'r signalling a turn?!?" :) I'm sure the gray hair sticking out of the helmet and the woman thing throw some for a loop as well, but now that is just part of the fun. I had to drive today, but took the BMX downtown to sign some legal papers this afternoon for work, way faster than the bus and the car too, given the parking/walking on both ends.
  • 05-29-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Quote:

I needed steel toes for a site I was visiting so I wore them with bike shorts and took a flat peddle bike, it was a sight.

:thumbsup: :lol: What, no pix of that!?!
  • 05-29-2015
    rodar y rodar
    Way to go, N4S :thumbsup:

Quote:

RollingRunner and I took the long way in, stellar morning. I needed steel toes for a site I was visiting so I wore them with bike shorts and took a flat peddle bike, it was a sight.

I second the request for a picture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I thought to myself that people must be "WTF??? a BMX'r signalling a turn?!?" :) I'm sure the gray hair sticking out of the helmet and the woman thing throw some for a loop as well, but now that is just part of the fun.

:lol:
    As far as peoples` thoughts about a BMXer signaling for a turn, I`m reminded of my own thoughts about a month ago. Waiting (in my truck :() at a red light and saw a helmetless guy on a clunky BSO shuffle up to the line in the lane next to me, apparently watching for a gap in the 4 or 5 lanes of fast moving cross traffic to run the light. The silent words I said about him weren`t very kind. But the gaps came and went, and the guy hung in, waited for his green, and crossed legally. Shame on me.
  • 05-30-2015
    bedwards1000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    :thumbsup: :lol: What, no pix of that!?!

I almost snapped one. Think "bicycle cop" except with spandex shorts. Your right, I should have taken a picture.
  • 05-30-2015
    BrianMc
    ^^ The 6 Million Monopoly Dollar man. You could re-create him. The technology exists to put cycle-construction-man into pixeled existence better than he would have been captured before!

Long before cell phones and their cameras, I rode a coaster bike to my first paying job off the farm wearing steel toed work boots pushing on rubber pedals. Blue jeans though. Too bad about cell phones. I was far more photogenic then! :) Five summers later, I had a decent 10-speed. Seems I'm addicted. :)
  • 05-31-2015
    TenSpeed
    It was the best of times, and the worst of times.......

Friday 5/29 - friend and I drove to Chicago to ride the city and do Critical Mass (he had never done one). Temp - 82F and extremely humid. Sprinkled early on, but remained dry for the rest of the evening. Was amazing. 60 mile total bike ride including the Critical Mass.

Saturday 5/30 - friend and I rode the city some more even though we were spent from the previous night. Temp - started at 67F and ended at 45F (felt like 38F) and raining with heavy winds. Rained the entire time we rode. Wind gusts so strong we almost both got knocked off of our bikes several times. Was absolutely terrible. 15 mile total ride that was harder than the 60 miles the previous night.
  • 06-01-2015
    Ghost_HTX
    The wife and the little one and I went out for a nice bike ride yesterday (17km to my wife's parents and 17km back again) - it was lovely, except that I am like a terrier dog chasing a ball when I see other cyclists riding by... I was unintentionally speeding up every time someone went past... I think my wife needed to put me on a leash... This was with the little one in the Nordic Cab bike trailer too so you can bet that my legs are feeling it a little today. The bike felt completely weightless by comparison today :)

Disclaimer: I would never ride irresponsibly with my 1 year old daughter in the trailer!

I got a little bike mechanic help from my father in law whilst we were there - my aluminium seat post has welded itself to my carbon frame... The two of us working together could not get the thing to move an inch! I guess this means that (A) I can never sell the bike (unless the buyer is 5'7'' and kinda short in the legs) which is fine with me; I love my bike! and (B) I can spare a few grams by ditching the seat post clamp - it's clamped itself very nicely already!

The commute this morning was windy. Mostly head wind. I managed to push myself to the point where I nearly threw up when I pulled up at work. I guess this "mild cold" has teeth after all...
  • 06-01-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    A bit chilly compared to the weather I've grown used to with light rain the whole way. If I were doing it over again, I'd probably wear long sleeves. Oh well.

I went on a short ride with my wife and almost-2-year-old on Saturday. We were going to drive to the park to ride the MUP, but my son didn't understand what we were doing, so he started throwing a little tantrum and crying, "I want to go on bike ride." I can't complain too much about that.
  • 06-01-2015
    73pinz
    Wet, very wet.
    It was pouring, even with head to toe GoreTex my feet got wet enough to get cold. Still, it wasn't boring.
  • 06-01-2015
    TenSpeed
    June 1st right? High of 65, low of 39. Just wondering where summer is. Not forecasted to get above 79 this week or into next week. Lows in the 40's. Gonna be tricky dressing correctly for both rides.
  • 06-01-2015
    CommuterBoy
    2 Attachment(s)
    Post race legs this morning...

I forgot to start my Garimin until about 3 miles in, so I stole this elevation profile from a friend's Strava:

Attachment 992800
    19.5 miles, 2900 feet of elevation gain. It was a burner.

A major boost for our local club... over 100 riders, big success.
    I wound up taking the top spot in the clydesdale class...my time would have put me at 4th in sport in my age group. I did have some cramping issues and should have been faster, but you have to call it a good day overall.

Here's a pic from the race, topping out at the high point... just so you can picture me in all my Clydesdale splendor :lol:

Attachment 992801
  • 06-01-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    Just found out the company I work for is moving this Fall, which could suck for me depending on what location they come up with. If the company moves too far away, I might start looking harder for a new job.
  • 06-01-2015
    73pinz
    Here in Maine I have been using two outfits, one for the ride in (high 30's- low 40's) and one for the ride home (high 70's- low 90's).