Page 347 of 590 FirstFirst ... 247 297 337 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 357 397 447 ... LastLast
Results 8,651 to 8,675 of 14736
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    -4 for the ride in. I got up early to take the long way because the trails are getting firmer and faster. Bad idea. About halfway into my detour no snowmobiles had packed the trail but I decided to continue on to the other main trail because that connector isn't always used. After about 1 mile of hard 4mph riding I got to the main trail which was also untraveled. It was now too late to turn back so I rode about 2 more miles in the deep stuff. Any deeper and I wouldn't be able to make it and I had to walk up most hills. Once I got to the local trail system there was some nicely snowshoe packed singletrack. I did get my exercise this morning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    19F on the way in today, just a little cooler than my ride home yesterday. There was no wind, so the going was pleasant. Part of me felt like skipping work altogether and just going for a long ride. Work has felt like an exercise in futility this week.

Moderator Moderator
    Woo hoo! -20.5 F when I left, -10F when I arrived. Goggles worked great, I took extra care to smooth the neoprene Gator mask under the bottom edge of the goggles, and to exhale right against the little mouth holes. I was glad I added the toewarmer packets to my insulated boots. I was actually warmer than last night since I added the winterhelmet/goggles, those toewarmers, swapped the softshell for a more wind resistant/heat retaining hardshell, and took the trail route staying more out of the wind.

Bedwards, that sounds pretty rough - glad you made it out of the woods.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 01-23-2013 at 07:35 AM.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    -20 beats my low temp record. (No image attached, BTW. Either that or if is very small and grey)
    Could explain this: Ski Area Closed Due To Cold

I Ride for Donuts
    -20... is that a personal record MTBX? That's flipping cold.

It was a glorious 18 degrees for my commute this morning. Unbelievable how warm that felt after the past couple weeks. I think my last double digit commute was way back in 2012.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    On the way home, I took the rural route (with bucket in tow) and did 22 miles at about 22F, which is as cold as I care to tolerate.
    "In tow" sounds about right. Gives me the willies just seeing it there- sure hope it wasn`t windy.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    -20... is that a personal record MTBX?
    +2, that`s what I was wondering.
    I think you beat out the Alberta guys this week. Oh, plus 20- something on my way home last night. You won`t even want to hear what my "to work" temp was at 2 PM.

Bedwards, did you make it in on time?

Hang in there, sOck. My week started out that way too, up until the middle of last night when I finished fixing my screw up from the night before. Smooth sailing now. I hope.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Nice work mtbxplorer!

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I think you beat out the Alberta guys this week.
    Totally. I'm still sitting around 5F, and the highs should be close to freezing by tomorrow.

This is totally going to jinx it, but I think my coldest ride this year has been...maybe -5F? And that was just one ride. I think I've worn my fleece mid-layer twice, I think I've covered my face once, and I still haven't broken out my big-boy gloves or socks. Last year was the un-winter, and even then we spent a few days around or below -30C, but this year I've had just one ride below -20C.

So yeah, now I've totally jinxed myself, and February will be hell.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Nice work mtbxplorer!

Totally. I'm still sitting around 5F, and the highs should be close to freezing by tomorrow.

This is totally going to jinx it, but I think my coldest ride this year has been...maybe -5F? And that was just one ride. I think I've worn my fleece mid-layer twice, I think I've covered my face once, and I still haven't broken out my big-boy gloves or socks. Last year was the un-winter, and even then we spent a few days around or below -30C, but this year I've had just one ride below -20C.

So yeah, now I've totally jinxed myself, and February will be hell.
    It has got to get cold sooner or later......I have had only two or three days below -20C....

Moderator Moderator
    Yeah, -20.5F was a record, I think the coldest before was -13 a few weeks ago. I probably wouldn't have braved the -20 if I hadn't done the -13.

I Ride for Donuts
    Nice work MTBX. I haven't had the chance, but I want to say I'd do that if the opportunity presented itself... that's record low kind of temps around here. It happens, but it's rare. Negative single digits is about as cold as we get in a normal winter.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    -20 beats my low temp record. (No image attached, BTW. Either that or if is very small and grey)
    Could explain this: Ski Area Closed Due To Cold
    The don't close the ski area in its entirity around here....but they do shut the affected lifts down when windchill gets below something around -40C...

Just too much risk of a lift shutdown and stranding someone for hours. Even with immediate lift evacuation (something like 20 minutes) the poor guy would be frozen solid.

mtbr member
    Great ride in this AM. Warm, good snow conditions, fast riding. Saw a big bull moose who must have recently shed his antlers as he was rubbing his head against a power pole. I stopped to gauge what he was going to do and if I could get around or would need to find an alternate route. He looked at me, then went back to scratching. Might have to poke around the woods tonight and see if I can find me some antlers!

Four moose on the way home last night. We must have enough snow in the mountains now to have forced more of them into town again.

Good times

mtbr member
    It only hit -9F wheni left the house, but was -10 when I got to work, and climbed to a staggering -3F for the ride home around 3pm...that's a pretty cold day. Tomorrow looks to be more of the same, supposed to be -21 at the commuting hour of 7. I added a pair of long johns to the mix this morning, and used my ski helmet and goggles. I like riding past people getting in their cars and yelling at them to stay warm out there.

I usually have no problem stopping to talk to people about the bike and why I ride in the winter, but when it's 10 below, I'm not much for conversation.

mtbr member
    Nice record, Mtbxplorer!

Once lived in Ottawa, Ont., when there was a period where the lows were not higher than-40 C (or F scales cross at this point) and -20 C for highs. Getting a cold car to start was loads of fun.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Saw a big bull moose who must have recently shed his antlers as he was rubbing his head against a power pole. I stopped to gauge what he was going to do and if I could get around or would need to find an alternate route. He looked at me, then went back to scratching. Might have to poke around the woods tonight and see if I can find me some antlers!

Four moose on the way home last night. We must have enough snow in the mountains now to have forced more of them into town again.

Good times
    That's awesome, I love seeing moose! (in safe conditions of course). A big bull was chasing downhill skiers at Sugarbush. Good luck finding some antlers.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Nice record, Mtbxplorer!

Once lived in Ottawa, Ont., when there was a period where the lows were not higher than-40 C (or F scales cross at this point) and -20 C for highs. Getting a cold car to start was loads of fun.

BrianMc
    Thanks! Hope mine starts tomorrow, I'm tuckered from 3 days of fatbiking and cold, it will be a day off I think. Already -15F when I got home, so I don't think it's going to be any warmer tomorrow. My work thermometer today never got over -.5F.

Schott, your comments to motorists to stay warm out there made me laugh

Stay warm everyone!

Moderator Moderator
    Wow!, Flood warnings now.

... Flood Watch in effect through Friday evening...

The National Weather Service in Burlington has issued a

* Flood Watch for northern New York and much of Vermont.

* Very cold temperatures in the past 24 hours has led to more ice
    buildup in the rivers... and a freeze-up jam has been reported on
    the Salmon river in Malone New York. With very cold temperatures
    continuing right through Friday morning... the threat of
    additional ice jams will increase across northern New York and
    much of Vermont.

* Ice jams of this nature happen quickly and can occur anywhere.
    Flooding of roadways and homes in a short period of time can occur

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    A not so nice guy in a Porsche cabriolet told me he needed all of the road. Showed little understanding for people who like to ride home from work...

mtbr member
    This is my life. How was your commute today?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359032641.263990.jpg

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by bratok View Post
    A not so nice guy in a Porsche cabriolet told me he needed all of the road. Showed little understanding for people who like to ride home from work...
    You should have told him that if he needs the whole road with that car that he doesn't deserve to drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Thanks! Hope mine starts tomorrow, I'm tuckered from 3 days of fatbiking and cold, it will be a day off I think....
    Every opportunity you pass up is an opportunity you will never get again.

-10F here this morning. I think that is close to my limit with my current boots and gloves even with warmers.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    hunter, I chased your coyote down the trail this morning...right by the ballfields. Coyotes can run fast.

A major bow down and "I'm not worthy" to all of you riding in negative temps. My 37F commute is downright balmy in comparison. Heck most of you would probably have been riding in t-shirts!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Every opportunity you pass up is an opportunity you will never get again.

-10F here this morning. I think that is close to my limit with my current boots and gloves even with warmers.
    True, it would have been another record. A low of -22.8F at my house this morning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bratok View Post
    *** "That makes me feel sick!" Followed by a re-enactment of the scene from 'Caddyshack".
    Well, probably best only imagined.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    Heat Wave!! Some magic happened over night... a glorious 31 degrees for this morning's ride. It was sn-aining... some snow and then freezing rain overnight made for very slick roads this morning. It was either snowing lightly or bits of fog were just falling out of the sky... didn't really get wet, but it was very wet out there. Strange. Sooooo nice to be "warm" though. Crazy how warm 31 feels after the past couple weeks.
    Another day of thankfulness for studded tires.

Edit for a couple pics:
    We were talking a while back about heated bike lanes in Scandanavia... thought of that this morning. This is the spot where the geothermal line runs under the field... why not route that thing under the sidewalk or something useful??

And they're no moose, but I did see a cool heard of antelope the other day, way out in the valley. they usually hang much further from civilization...the cold must have driven them in or something. Beautiful critters.... closest thing we have to an African animal in my opinion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

How was your commute today?-picture2.jpg  

Last edited by CommuterBoy; 01-24-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Cool antelope, CB!

I Ride for Donuts
    Schott, I NEED that shirt My life too. Where can I get one???