Page 346 of 538 FirstFirst ... 246 296 336 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 356 396 446 ... LastLast
Results 8,626 to 8,650 of 13447
    mtbr member
    Today was the first slippery day in the snow. I almost crashed three times in two seconds. I seriously don't even know what happened but it must have looked amazing. I spun around, almost crashed on my left, somehow got my foot down, over compensated and almost crashed to my right, got out of it, spun completely around and ended up with both feet on the ground, hands still on the bars holding the bike upright in the air. If I was using any other pedals than my severely worn Ritcheys I would have ate it. Craziest non crash ever.

mtbr member
    Good work not eating it. Amazing how fast you can go down.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Fux is the mtbr version of Galen Rowell. You can see some of his pics in the "Long Cold Winter" thread.
    Yup, calling something a fux photo is a compliment!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Today was the first slippery day in the snow. I almost crashed three times in two seconds. I seriously don't even know what happened but it must have looked amazing. I spun around, almost crashed on my left, somehow got my foot down, over compensated and almost crashed to my right, got out of it, spun completely around and ended up with both feet on the ground, hands still on the bars holding the bike upright in the air. If I was using any other pedals than my severely worn Ritcheys I would have ate it. Craziest non crash ever.
    Dang! That sounds video worthy.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Amazing how fast your reflexes can compensate when you've learned how to Nice job not eating pavement. We had similar conditions around here with black ice getting worse by the day. Yesterday I swung around a fairly sharp corner and felt the front tire slip, then the rear tire start to slide. Unclipped as the bike straightened up while I turned in to the slide, turning a slippery ice corner in to an impressive powerslide on pavement. Thankfully didn't slide off the trail in to the river below, but it was a reminder that while things are below freezing... one does not simply ride to work.

On the way home, I had to take the short route as I knew I wouldn't make it home on time by the long route. It's shorter, but more hilly; I miscalculated slightly and found myself with about 10 minutes less than normal to get home. I took some detours, powered through with about double the intensity I normally have on a commute, and ended up getting in almost the same mileage on the longer route but through a much more interesting commute. Even better, the whole reason behind taking the detours was Tank the Surly Ogre was showing 4972 mi on the clock before I left... and I managed to click over to 5001 before I got home . A lot longer than I expected it would take because of work, but considering the last 1000 mi were clocked in under a month, that is a surefire indicator of things getting better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This morning was likely the coldest of my commutes this year. It was 12F, which isn't all that bad. The past few winters have been warmer than the previous two winters. Last year, temps only got down to 17F.

MTB, Road, Commuting

Commuter Boy - Beware!!!!

Yes it is, yes it is.
    First Crash of 2013

On a positive note, the winter storm that was all over the news yesterday blew out to sea and we haven't even seen a flake.
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 01-22-2013 at 10:06 AM.

mtbr member
    ^^Ouch!

We got an inch or two of fresh powder overnight. It made for a pretty and fun commute. The only other excitement was a school bus rear ended a sedan by the roundabout, the cops were already there. Pix are in the order of travel....
    Attached Images Attached Images          

mtbr member
    Great commute in this AM. Warm (27F) and fast rolling snow. Just overall felt really good to be on the bike today, apart from the fact that one of my headlights' batteries went dead. We had a nice bit of cloud-cover so I didn't need the lights anyway.

weirdo
    Hehe. Reading backwards, I ran into "Good work not eating it" before I read what it refered to. I still had (snow) donuts on the mind, so thought diet or something. Anyway, good job not eating it.

Bedwards, keep practicing and soon you`ll be able to handle those stairs just like a rock garden!

Hunter, you`re a maniac. 1000 miles in January? Yowza!
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    Bedwards...my stairs are carpeted, but I've had some close calls coming into the downstairs door with snowy feet onto ceramic tile sorry man, hope the bumps and bruises are minimal.

It was 1*F this morning. But on the plus side, it was noticeably brighter out... heading towards spring, in spite of the thermometer.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Bedwards, keep practicing and soon you`ll be able to handle those stairs just like a rock garden!
    I made the comment that I would have handled them better on the bike.

mtbr member
    *** My fall happened in less than a half second. I also got it on video. Hoping none here gets one for comparison for the rest of their lives! I have had my share of falling down stairs before I was school age and the stair door at the bottom was a rude stopper. Bad to get totaled before leaving the house. Been there, done that, and have the permanent brain damage!

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Bedwards, hope I din't jinx you with my comment on the WL 2 days ago about riding alone...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^... After all, it's not safe at home either. I could trip down the stairs and someone might not come looking for me for a few days.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Great commute in this AM. Warm (27F) and fast rolling snow. Just overall felt really good to be on the bike today, apart from the fact that one of my headlights' batteries went dead. We had a nice bit of cloud-cover so I didn't need the lights anyway.
    Nice! Same here, albeit warm. Glad its not 35 and raining...yet!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Bedwards, hope I din't jinx you with my comment on the WL 2 days ago about riding alone...
    Nah, I think it was the shoes. Are you ready for a chilly one tomorrow? The forecast for tomorrow has the daytime high listed as 5F.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Nah, I think it was the shoes. Are you ready for a chilly one tomorrow? The forecast for tomorrow has the daytime high listed as 5F.
    Psh, sounds toasty. I'm looking at a high of -3F tomorrow, though it should only be -14f at the commuting hour. Today was lovely, actually. It is supposed to be wicked cold like this all week, so I went all out at the grocery store on the way home with a back pack and large pannier...probably 20 or 25 pounds.

Worst part about the cold is not being able to get the kids outside to play (I teach at the Head Start)....it's going to be a long, energetic week.

mtbr member
    Are you ready for a chilly one tomorrow? The forecast for tomorrow has the daytime high listed as 5F.
    As long as the pipes don't freeze!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Psh, sounds toasty. I'm looking at a high of -3F tomorrow, though it should only be -14f at the commuting hour. Today was lovely, actually. It is supposed to be wicked cold like this all week, so I went all out at the grocery store on the way home with a back pack and large pannier...probably 20 or 25 pounds.

Worst part about the cold is not being able to get the kids outside to play (I teach at the Head Start)....it's going to be a long, energetic week.
    Yeah, and you're in Berlin, right? So it will be snowing too because it is always snowing in Berlin. At least it seems that way. I just checked the forecast for Berlin, Barre & Raymond, ME and MTBX wins with an overnight low of -17F. Best open the doors under the sinks so the heat can get in there.

mtbr member
    I wish it was always snowing here!

mtbr member

It's always colder at night

Old man winter beckoned me
    Drawing me into his icy grasp.

I loosened his grip
    With my mind,
    How many syllables in a haiku?
    Waffles with warm maple syrup.

And at last 8 miles was done.

mtbr member
    Haha! 5, 7, 5

The crossing guard gets;
    As icy morning lightens;
    Cocoa for her work.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    The temperature drops;
    Northeast dominates the forum;
    Ride in tomorrow.

I don't' really get haiku.

weirdo
    Bundle up, gang. We don`t want no frostbite OR frozen pipes.

I don't' really get haiku.
    Let`s see...
    Won tons,
    Mitsubishi,
    Toyota,
    Mitutoyo,
    Panasonic,
    SunTour,
    Haiku...

Yup. They should have stopped while they were ahead. Well, as long as they stop right now, I think they still come out on the up side
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Yes it's true... you all thought I was commuting clean, and the whole time I've secretly been BUCKET DOPING

...does anyone have Oprah Winfrey's contact info?

Today's commute was uneventful. On the way home, I took the rural route (with bucket in tow) and did 22 miles at about 22F, which is as cold as I care to tolerate.