Page 346 of 428 FirstFirst ... 246296336342343344345346347348349350356396 ... LastLast
Results 17,251 to 17,300 of 21390
    weirdo
    CB, my on-topic to off-topic ratio is getting pretty flaky, so I`m trying to get back on track. Some are on photobucket, though:
    Plumas Discovery Trail Photos by brianylupita | Photobucket
    If Bedwards posts Caribean pics, JeffScott posts up his sailing trip, and sOck shows off wherever his "overseas" vacation was, I`ll probably feel better about putting up more OT here at home
    ALMOST on topic, have you heard about the new Plumas Discovery Trail and the connecting Lassen Discovery Trail recently signed and marked by the USFS? PDF guides to both available through their individual websites. We were checking out the Plumas version until we got tired of following instructions and looking for hidden marker signs, then decided to just explore.

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Thanks everyone for the kudos and especially those who called me a badass.
    It goes without saying!
    Recalculating....

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    109 miles and you rode on the interstate? Bada**!!!!!!!
    Totally! Great story and great inspiration!

I have a hard time finding half that time to do a ride. Just too many things to do with the kids on weekends. Oh well, they are fun too!!!

Way to go!

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    CB, my on-topic to off-topic ratio is getting pretty flaky, so I`m trying to get back on track. Some are on photobucket, though:
    Plumas Discovery Trail Photos by brianylupita | Photobucket
    Sweet! There's so much to explore around here...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    It was pretty bad, thanks for asking!
    1. On car segment, check engine light was on and cruise blinking (PSA: apparently Subies disable the cruise whenever check engine light comes on).
    2. On bike segment, got a flat tire (walked the remaining 15-20 minutes to make a meeting)
    3. At lunch, forgot to use time to repair flat
    4. Got stuck at work 45 minutes late, so decided to take bus instead. Walked back the 15 minutes to a bus stop.
    5. Bus broke down, had to wait for another.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    1. On car segment, check engine light was on and cruise blinking (PSA: apparently Subies disable the cruise whenever check engine light comes on).
    2. On bike segment, got a flat tire (walked the remaining 15-20 minutes to make a meeting)
    4. Got stuck at work 45 minutes late, so decided to take bus instead. Walked back the 15 minutes to a bus stop.
    WINNER!! MISADVENTURE OF THE WEEK (so far, and hope for their sake that nobody tops you)

Sorry to hear! But just think how much better the next commute will have to be in comparison, right?
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

CB of the East
    WOW! did you take the bike on the bus for the return trip? You could have fixed the flat and rode home instead of waiting for the other bus.

I took advantage of my rested legs and did a 42 mile commute home around Sebago Lake. My legs are no longer rested. Commute in was draggy.

No one calls me Maurice.
    It's official, I think May sucks. After a week of storms and floods I spent last weekend trying to fix leaks, kill ants and repair my fridge all of which led to a back issue (X-rays today) which kept me off the bike this week. All I want to do is crank out a few miles. Am I asking too much?
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Beautiful country Rodar. But what kind of bicycle was that you were riding

weirdo
    ^^A noisy bicycle, Woodway!

Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Ahhh.. good rides this week so far. Legs are a bit tight, but not terrible. Saw a baby and momma moose this AM. No chance for a pic, though.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    WOW! did you take the bike on the bus for the return trip? You could have fixed the flat and rode home instead of waiting for the other bus.
    I did take the bike on the bus, and when we were told to get off I debated fixing the flat…but I was sure the bus would arrive as soon as I had the tire off. I forgot to add to my list of woes that it was also raining.

Today I was humbled by pedaling the BMX cruiser 8 miles to work, that was a workout! When I got it I figured it would make me a stronger standing pedaler on the trails, and holy cow, I guess it would. My quads were in near cramp mode almost continuously. I got more used to it as I went along, and my technique for conserving energy got better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Monday my ride was great. A bit hot and had a headwind but made amazing time home. Even saw my first polite jogger. Cute jogger wearing a black sports bra and shorty shorts. Unfortunately it was on my favorite segment and I was flying. Too fast to really admire the desert scenery.

Yesterday had good times too. Saw a coperhead rattler stretched out across the trail having just bulged his midsection with prairie dog. Some hikers were standing on the other side wondering what to do. It was a tight section with brush all around so no way of going around safely. Found a 5 foot fallen tree branch I was able to cautiously make scratchy noises on the ground inches from him. He coiled up and stared at me like 'I will cut you. . . with my teeth' Then moved into the brush.

I wimped out this morning though. Woke up the sorest I have been since I started. Decided 5/5 commutes this week wasn't happening but if I rest today I can still get 4/5.

guy
    Worked from home yesterday and drove today. I start a new job on Monday, so I had to drive to take all of my stuff home before my last day tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a very short "work" day so I'm planning to ride and will add 30-40 miles to my commute home.

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. Decent ride home last night. I think I do need to get some more dirt under my tires though. Need to start doing a weekly night ride, I think. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Finally a break in the weather, bike is back together, and it is Bike To Work Week - let's make it happen at least 2 days this week OK?
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 4001/6000

Bedwards Of The West
    You ever see something and then find yourself thinking about it nonstop and realizing that it's probably going to consume at least a little bit of you until you do it? I can't shake this bad boy from the back of my mind: Trans North California.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Don't walk, but RUN to your computer and sign up. Do it now.

Moderator Moderator
    Fixed that flat with a new tube on the cross bike this morning before leaving, but it was flat again after I walked the dog and changed into biking stuff - FAIL! I had looked for the cause, turning the tire inside out even, but only found a slice, not the slicer. Apparently I missed it. Have to drive again tomorrow, as I have to be in court for work 50 miles away by 9 a.m. Ugh!

mtbr member
    It's too bad about the short runtime, but maybe in a generation or two this could be useful for commuting:

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    ^^^ Don't walk, but RUN to your computer and sign up. Do it now.
    Looks cool CB, good luck!

weirdo
    Trans NorCal: Whoa, gnarly! I wish they had a zoomable map up there. Looks like basically Henness Pass route as far as the valley, then I don`t know well enough to guess. It`s kind of confusing, though- says "innaugural" event, but also posts 2014 results? Also says no awards, and no support given, (though no entry fee) so what would be the reason to go with the event rather than at your own convenience? Any way you slice it though, it`s quite a race.

Lily Camera: Hey, almost home! The arched concret bridge that shows up starting about 0:35 is near Donner Lake, about 50 miles W-SW west of me. I`ve pedalled it a few times

Better luck next week, MtbX.
    Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ I know that bridge.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Beautiful day for a ride in at 62F and partly sunny with a light breeze. Campus is getting to be more like a ghost town now that finals are over and a lot of students have left. This is the time of year riding near campus is the best. Was figuring that the single rack at work would be pretty packed since there was a break in the rain we have had all week. Boy was I wrong. See picture below. The only one? Bike to work week? Seriously? There are almost always other bikes on the rack when I get there but not today. On the way in, I stopped to take a picture of the hole that I hit last Friday night that I did not see in the dark. It is pretty deep at about 4-5" at the deepest part. Ride home had very little traffic, maybe 6 or 7 cars total for the entire ride. I can get used to that!!!! Steered clear of the hole as I passed that area. Hands were cold as the temp dropped to about 50F and I only had my lightweight summer gloves. Thought I had better ones in the bag with my sleeves but I was wrong.

So now Friday calls for rain just about all day mixed with thunderstorms. I will see what it is like before I decide my means of transportation to work. If it is dry when it is time to leave, I will ride and hope for the best for the ride home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-hole.jpg  

How was your commute today?-nbtww.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I went a few miles out of my way to meet up to an organized bike to work "event". Mostly just a lot of cyclists standing around, some breakfast pastries and bananas and a table with free t-shirts.

Didn't get any real sense of camaraderie out of it, but I got a t-shirt.

since 4/10/2009
    I didn't really have to "work" today, so I rode downtown to help set things up for the big event in town, and help run the local advocacy group's booth.

It was a good event this year. The ride in was beautiful. I left early, so I was riding in the dark the whole way. Very little wind, temps just perfect for shorts, yet not too warm or too humid. The birds were all out singing, though, which was cool.

The official event did get a bit damp, though, around 8-8:30 or so. Pretty much all it did was send most of the riders who had been hanging out and socializing, scurrying to work to get out of the rain. The sun came out so we could at least do teardown at 9 under spotty sunshine. I took the scenic route home. It's not fast at all. It's too curvy and the bike path has a couple spots where you have to dump onto bike lanes or sidewalks to make a connection to the next segment. But it follows a quiet creek the whole way, so it's very pleasant except when you're detouring around the Superfund former industrial site that's getting cleaned up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Had an OK commute yesterday. Cooler for may, but dang I was facing some strong winds. Was going to commute this morning but <insert excuse here>. Glad I didn't though, supposed to be a wicked thunderstorm with some hail in a couple hours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Today's commute featured a strong tailwind that fueled a fast ride. Temps were perfect. That said as usual I was witness to stupid behavior.

About a mile in I spotted a woman running with her two dogs, a leash in each hand, which means that one of the dogs was running in the middle of the lane. As I approached I saw the dog (on the left) lunge at another dog on the opposite side of the trail. I thought, "this is going to be a problem," Sure enough as I closed in a biker attempted a pass and the dog lunged at him snapping. He veered left and got around. I yelled "Oh my," which is about 80 shades more polite than I should have been. She stopped, got off the trail and reined in the dog, not forgetting to glare at me as if my exclamation was unwarranted.

I don't understand the mindset, I guess keeping the dog to the right with the other dog interferes with her run because it lunges across her path. But how is it reasonable to bring a dog that seems to have serious socialization issues onto a bike trail? Much less one of the main commuting arteries at 7:45 AM, when it is as busy as it ever is. What kind of consequence does there need to be to prevent this stuff from happening?

mtbr member
    Good commute this AM. 32F at the house, 40 at the bus stop, between 32 and 46 along my route in town. Clear and bright today. Love it.

I will officially break 2K miles for the year this afternoon. I'm happy about that.

Bike to work day in Anchorage is Wednesday. I'm thinking I should take the day off just so I don't have to deal with all the newbie commuters.

Had a great ride on Saturday - 24 miles with 12 of those being single track and the other 12 being the route to the woods and back. It was a perfect day for it - sunny, no wind, 67F. Just wonderful.

How was your commute today?-img_0815.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    I don't understand the mindset, I guess keeping the dog to the right with the other dog interferes with her run because it lunges across her path. But how is it reasonable to bring a dog that seems to have serious socialization issues onto a bike trail? Much less one of the main commuting arteries at 7:45 AM, when it is as busy as it ever is. What kind of consequence does there need to be to prevent this stuff from happening?
    I think a Cincinnati by-law allows no forgiveness. Once a dog bites/attacks it is put down. That consequence may get some owners to think about how their animal acts in public and control that access.

But common sense is very uncommon. Sunday, noon: I stopped on the vertical of a 3 way stop T intersection in the car and with no traffic began to turn left. A Maroon PT cruiser hove into view at my right as I began my left turn. The vehicle was well over the 30 mph speed limit by how far it came since coming into view. Still far enough away that the driver could stop and was not 'imminent on entering the intersection', besides I was already in the intersection and all traffic in the intersection has right of way. Now, when I see someone pull out like I was not there, I look for a stop sign I missed, or a traffic light, but obviously slow and let the driver proceed, but this young lady in a big flowery straw hat barely slowed so I laid on the horn and sped through the rest of my turn to feed her my bumper. When she rolled the intersection at speed to tailgate me, I gave her the finger (I don't usually, but such an egregious ignoring of a stop sign, failing to yield right of way, speeding, nearly rear ending me, really ticked me off. It was noon on a Sunday, not like rush hour! Geez. If she was flying to an emergency, she needed to have her horns on full approaching the intersection to warn she was running the stop sign. She then tailgated me with her horns full on and the Italian salute through a half mile of 30 mile an hour zone, only backing off when we came to another 30 mph sign. At the next stop sign I, there were cars ahead, one to the right going right, and one ahead going left. She rolled along side with the horn and finger again then made a right turn without looking left well enough (it is a hard intersection to see when you stop, impossible on the fly) onto busy Main Street just lucky there was no one coming as she could not see well enough.

I concluded that it is likely she was driving and texting on the phone or similar and missed both the speed limit sign thinking I was driving 20-25 under rhe speed limit and she missed the stop sign entirely.

Sobering to think she is out there somewhere when I ride my bike. What are the chances that she won't see me when she misses big Red Octagons that are placed where she is supposed to be looking?

Ride safe, my friends and beware the maroon PT Cruisers out there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Ride safe, my friends and beware the moron in PT Cruisers out there!
    Fixed it for ya!

So no commute for me today. Have to take son o DR to get his cast off hopefully. Good news is I will have no excuse the rest of the week and next. Wife had a fender bender and she is putting her car in the shop. Her insurance does not cover rentals so I am letting her have my car since I don't need it. I will have full discipline by circumstance starting tomorrow.

Moderator Moderator
    A good ride in, (fixed that flat tire right this time) and it would have been a beautiful ride home, lovely weather, but I ended up accepting a ride because my car was getting worked on in a downscale neighborhood and I forgot my spare key which would have allowed them to lock up the car at closing. I realized that not only the car key but my wallet -doh!- and binoculars were in the unlocked car, so I opted to get there ASAP. The car and my stuff was still there, but the car stalled out about 4 times on the way home (it wasn't doing that this morning), so it will be going back tomorrow.

A NJ visitor overshot the entrance at work and pulled a u-turn in the middle of the street right in front of me. I veered right to go around and avoid him backing into me, and at that moment he decided that forward was a better idea, so he nearly hit me both coming and going, pretty impressive really.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was on a commute hiatus last week due to a business trip - I'm back in the saddle now, though.

Yesterdays trip into work was all good - sunny and (relatively) warm The only downer was having to carry my laptop into work on my back (complete with a pile of MoMs, paperwork and the laptop bag too, all stuffed into my backpack). I managed 70kph on one of the downhill parts on the way, though - so it was worth it.

The trip home; sunny too and after carrying the weight into work, my bike felt super light! I elected to leave my clothes at work (I got another day out of them - it seems that I won't get much more, though- I just spilled my lunch in my lap) and go home packless...

It was great! All the way until an old guy (must have been at least 80) decided to just walk right out into traffic at the bottom of a fairly quick downhill (I was pushing in excess of 1000Strava Watts and doing a little under 50kph)... He didn't even check left then right - just walked straight out! There is no crossing where he tried to cross and since it is at the bottom of a hill the traffic can go quite fast (despite the 50kph limit). I'm thinking he was from a nearby care home because he looked as if he shouldn't be out by himself. He didn't even react when I yelled at him as I screeched by with a locked up back wheel... Completely oblivious...

My trip in this morning was wet. Very wet. I happily wrung out my socks, leg tubes and bib shorts when I got to work. Lucky me we have a drying room

Trip home looks to be the same.

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commuting this week as I have the entire week off. I rode 30 miles on Sunday for a local hospice charity ride, and 33 Monday night. Tomorrow is our Ride Of Silence, and that will end up being at least another 30 after it is done, and Friday our group ride will have me at least 40-50 more. That is how you spend a week off.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Doing our Ride of Silence tommorrow too.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Bedwards Of The West
    Ride of Silence? Forgive me, there is no culture here....

Not sure how to count today... I had kid transportation issues and a meeting this evening, so for the first time in forever I drove to work........ but with the bike on the rack. Going to ride home after work, then ride back in for the meeting. So it's like bizarro commute day.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    (I was pushing in excess of 1000Strava Watts...
    That's about what a TDF rider can sustain for <15 seconds. Imagine what you could do with some training!

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Not sure how to count today... I had kid transportation issues and a meeting this evening, so for the first time in forever I drove to work........
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Commutes are good. Summerish weather is here with some chilly mornings. I'm thinking it's time to try the trails out again, mud season is over. I haven't done a trail commute since the ice went out.

mtbr member
    Good commute this AM. Beautiful May weather in Alaska. Can't complain. Tomorrow is Bike to Work day, so lots of newbies out on the trails. Oh well. I'll just roll over them with my fattie.

Shi%%y news from my city yesterday: Police: Anchorage cyclist attacked by teenagers on popular bike trail | Alaska Dispatch News

Makes me sick.

guy
    Was a little light on the commuting last week because it was my last week at my old employer and had a lot of stuff to bring home. I'm getting settled in here at the new job and used a hybrid commute today for my first ride in. I was spoiled before because we had relatively secure bike parking and showers. No showers at the new place so I'm trying out options on how to ride and not be a gross sweaty mess when I get here. How do you folks do it when you don't have the option to shower? My ride is 16 miles each way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    Was a little light on the commuting last week because it was my last week at my old employer and had a lot of stuff to bring home. I'm getting settled in here at the new job and used a hybrid commute today for my first ride in. I was spoiled before because we had relatively secure bike parking and showers. No showers at the new place so I'm trying out options on how to ride and not be a gross sweaty mess when I get here. How do you folks do it when you don't have the option to shower? My ride is 16 miles each way.
    My ride isn't quite as far, but I just try to get into the office a bit before everyone else so that I have a chance to cool off before I have to meet with people. Other than that - I wear a decent deodorant, I guess, because I've never showered or used baby wipes or anything and have never had any complaints. I do also ride slower in the mornings than I do in the afternoons, so I sweat a bit less on the way in to work.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Clean up in the bathroom, paper towels, soap and water. Wash the important bits + your pits, deodorant and matching body spray. I use Old Spice and it works very well. Also allow extra cool down time to get your body temperature regulated once you get there. Nothing like cleaning up and 45 seconds later you are sweating like a pig outside a slaughterhouse.

Moderator Moderator
    Sketchy this morning when a tractor trailer put the squeeze on me after a red light. The tractor part was not too bad but the tail end kept coming toward me as he veered right again away from oncoming traffic. A guard rail (and the river) were on my right, and a deep accumulation of road spooge/sediment between me and the guard rail made me reluctant to go any further right and risk losing control and falling into the truck's path. Held my line on the white line where the pavement was clear, and held my breath until the trailer squeaked by.

Kleebs, upon arrival I did a cool down at my desk with some iced coffee - it was muggy so I was hot - then used a few wipes in the stall while changing. If an extreme bad hair day, I dunk my head in the sink afterwards, but it is usually not necessary.

Bypassed a couple of road-find caps today, 1 bucket style and 1 fishing-joke baseball cap.

Moderator Moderator
    Sorry to see that awful news, Blockphi.

mtbr member
    ^ +1

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    That's about what a TDF rider can sustain for <15 seconds. Imagine what you could do with some training!
    That's Strava Watts. Remove about 15-20% YMMV

How was your commute today?-strava-watts1.jpg
    How was your commute today?-strava-watts-2.jpg

I was at 1329 Strava Watts (not actual Watts - for actual watts lets say we take off 20% so still 1063W...) for about 1 second or so. So no - I don't think I'll be joining Bradley and Chris as the third ever British GC winner...
    If I could get those values on an actual power meter I would be very happy. Imagine indeed...

But enough of this foolishness - why would you just hit a guy with a branch for no reason? What is wrong with folks these days?

CB of the East
    ^^Impressive even for "Strava Watts", as is the average power which is usually closer to reality.

Sorry to hear about the attack. "Normal" people will never understand what makes people act like a-holes for fun. I don't see that allure to being hated.

I was awake way too early so I sneaked in a long ride before work. I'm thinking of trying a before and after work century on one of these long summer days. IDK, 100 miles may be a lot to add to a 9 hour work day.

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Clean up in the bathroom, paper towels, soap and water. Wash the important bits + your pits, deodorant and matching body spray. I use Old Spice and it works very well. Also allow extra cool down time to get your body temperature regulated once you get there. Nothing like cleaning up and 45 seconds later you are sweating like a pig outside a slaughterhouse.
    So far I've been cooling down a bit once I get here then wipe the sweat off with a towel and apply deodorant and a bit of cologne. I was given use of an empty office to store my bike and to use as a changing room, which is nice because the bathroom is really small and has 1 stall and 1 sink for pretty much the entire office. I'd feel a bit uncomfortable taking up the bathroom for my morning "shower".

Kleebs, upon arrival I did a cool down at my desk with some iced coffee - it was muggy so I was hot - then used a few wipes in the stall while changing. If an extreme bad hair day, I dunk my head in the sink afterwards, but it is usually not necessary.
    The hair thing is a concern as well. I have long hair for a guy, and my goodness, I have a LOT of it. It doesn't really grow down as much as it grows out. I'd rather not cut it, but depending on the circumstances I might have to.

weirdo
    I went rubber-side-up this morning, gave two drivers a good show. I was toodling along the desolate stretch of my commute, just enjoying a pleasantly gloomy morning from my own private bike path when I caught a glimpse of another roofing tack on the road (have been picking them up for weeks now, but it seems to be a self rejuvenating suply). One car was comming at me in the other lane, and I heard another comming up behind. A quick glance over my shoulder said I had plenty of time to make a quick U-turn and be out of the way before the car in my lane got to me, so I initiated the turn...
    ...and THEN I remembered I had taken a trailer load of scrap cardboard to work last night and was now dragging an empty trailer along. My friend Bob doesn`t like quick turns; he protested. Everything after that happened so fast that I don`t know exactly what kind of dance I did, but I eventually ended up jack knifed half in and half out of the bike lane and sort of toppled over, pretty much like a clip-in newb. When I finally lost the battle with gravity, the "commin at me" car was just across from me, and the overtaking car was close enough that he needed to take some ipressive evasive action to avoid running over the break-dancing dork on the ground without swerving the oncomming guy. Glad he managed it. I ended up with a little trickle of blood from the pavement on the outside of my knee and a nice gash from my pedal on thte inside of the same knee. Good times

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Forgive me, there is no culture here....
    Whaa...? Don`t forget about the Sierra Valey Tour De Manure- you`ve still got a month to get in on this year`s festivities!

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Shi%%y news from my city yesterday:
    Damn, that`s just out there. Even worse being the second mystery attack within two months.
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    AWESOME recount of your crash rodar! No more damage than some bloody knees? No broken collar bones? (one of my favorite). More importantly, how is the bike?

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Sorry Rodar! Great story though! Glad you didn't land on another tack.

mtbr member
    Good ride today even though it is bike to work day so lots of traffic.

Ran across a picture I took a few days ago on my commute home and thought it was fun. Only in Anchorage?

How was your commute today?-img_0808.jpg