Page 345 of 632 FirstFirst ... 245 295 335 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 355 395 445 ... LastLast
Results 8,601 to 8,625 of 15778
    I Ride for Donuts
    frozen to 8 feet!! Canada is insane. Water lines around here are usually 3 feet, and you're relatively safe from any freezing.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I would pay good money to be as warm as a well-digger's a$$.
    You could hire a plumber for something and maybe warm your fingers in his "cleavage". Would that be close enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I feel like I'm pushing it with a single layer of tights in the low to mid 20s, 14 was too much. How low do you all go before adding another layer on the legs?
    Funny thing about that. When it first starts getting cold, I`ll wear shorts over long johns down into the 20s. After I make the jump to pants, I won`t leave without them until it`s up close to 50.

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    The colder temps did a good job of consolidating down the snow we got yesterday so things were not too bad in terms of being slippy.

Those darn moose really slow down the commute. They don't respond to cries of "Passing on your left." Well they do. About as well as the skiers do.
    Glad your snow consoildated- hope your overflows didn`t freeze into icy rock gardens. You need a moose bell!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Had to dig out the 4 ' deep line to the barn or haul a ridiculous amount of water one winter. The exercise of pick axing down keeps you warm enough until you hit water.

Fingers lose feeling fast. A$$ not far behind.
    Can`t say i`m envious of your frozen ditch digging days. I`ve had to do some minor digging in frozen ground and it was WAY too much work for my taste. A$$ not far behind maybe, but never seems to get out in front no matter how hard it tries.

A few pics from this morning- bunny with Jordy B ears, looking up my street, looking up driveway towards the street, our Christmas tree from about five years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I skipped the ride today as it was 14 degrees and there's supposed to be a strong wind this evening (although it'll be up to mid 20s by then). I feel like I'm pushing it with a single layer of tights in the low to mid 20s, 14 was too much. How low do you all go before adding another layer on the legs?
    I do shorts over tights from about 40-15, although the low varies depending on the wind. When it goes to 15-0 I have a pair of knickers over the tights and thick socks pulled up. I did that in -4F the other day and while cold, it wasn't too bad. If anything I'd be adding rain pants over the tights, did that when it was snowing and 30F. And I have a pair of chamois shorts as the base.

You just have to go out and figure out what works best for you, it's taken this far into winter to get it really dialed in to where I'm comfortable in pretty much everything ol' Mother Nature has thrown my way. Although I haven't gotten my feet sorted, they're still cold and almost numb when I get to work. Working on that though.

Moderator Moderator
    I have a few different pants that I wear alone or combined with chamois tights or chamois shorts, depending on the temps. I'm a bit self conscious for the tights only look. Most of the ski/snowboard stuff is too warm or baggy, better options (around here anyways) are made for mountaineering or xc skiing, or aerobic winter multisports. Today I wore the Lowe Alpine pants + chamois tights on the way in at -8F, but was comfy with the pants & shorts (they were at work from a day when the temps dropped) on the way home at 9F. My lightest pants are Ibex Clima-wools. really comfy and nice snug grippers that don't let any snow sneak up from my 5.10 high tops. Another alternative is to use chamois shorts + long johns + pants, which more people are likely to already own.

Everyone's a little different, I would not consider knickers over tights like Spatialized at 15-0(F?), I am more coldblooded than that.

mtbr member
    I guess I am not the only one that is slower in the cold. It seems that others slow down when it is below freezing as well, good to hear.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    wonder where the wife is? bit slower than usual.
    ah well.
    (wait longer)
    hey hon, where are ya?
    "snapped my crankarm, walking home"
    you... you what?? are you ok??
    "yeah, be there soon"

snapped a fsa ti isis bb awhile bakc, her campy shift paddle like a week ago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-crackedcrank.jpg  

How was your commute today?-crackedcrank2.jpg  

If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Wonder woman!

mtbr member
    ^^ You Gotta love the woman. Smart enough to marry you, strong enough to break a crank arm, and stoic enough to walk it home without calling you. I have one in the same vein. Keeps me humble.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    I guess I am not the only one that is slower in the cold. It seems that others slow down when it is below freezing as well, good to hear.

Mark
    Yup, very much so slower in the cold temps...but able to keep going.

When it gets cold, I like to wear a pair of wind proof tights as a base layer, and my old pair of thrift store women's Patagonia soft shell pants that fit super snug and have a built in gator. Even in negative teens I am fine...my ass cheeks were a little cold this morning, but I'm mostly downhill to get to work.

Tonight since I was going to a party, I wore a pair of lightweight long johns and a pair of heavyweight woollies from Labonville (similar to the old woolrich pants) and because I was also on trails with deep snow possible, I wore tall gators. Super comfortable at -8 on the way home just now.

I also am of the mindset that if you can keep your feet warm, your legs don't really need to be all that warm.

mtbr member
    @Schott,

Yes I figured that out as well, my feet got cold on my 12F ride home. I have Mtn shoes that are like boots. I just wear my tights (rated to 40F) and a tee shirt and sweat shirt over it. I am close to 300lbs and stay warm but since I now have to carry a complete change of cloths to work my backpack is a bit heavy. 12F was the coldest ride I have had yet, I am in the Mtn's in the 30's and I pull my sweat shirt. I seem to be a heat pump and will stay warm in the high teens and above. You are correct about keeping you feet warm, I was surprized when that happend. But I do not have the same energy and seem to rev up the lower gears when it is colder and not push the higher gears.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

weirdo
    Ya don`t pull the cape on the old Lone Ranger and you don`t mess around with Mrs Byknuts!

Finished my third attempt at repairing my broken Cyo (mounting lug snapped off in a fall). Third time`s the charm? I just need to remount and rewire it now.

Tonight was drier than the past two, with no ice fog, so I tried the nose thing again. It worked better- fogged up a little when I got home, but not while I was rolling.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    What a day. I left mid-morning thinking that I would ride down to the Cafe. Thing about that is that the cafe is in the next town over. I opted for the long way around the mountain for the trip there, thinking I would take the short route along the river for the way home. Neither actually happened. The trail around the mountain is state maintained, and comes down through Jericho State Park. The park is about 5 miles from my house on snowmobile rail trail. Frozen hard and riding really well. Once I crossed over into the park it started to rain a little bit...at which point I decided that I wasn't going to be riding all the way to the cafe today...in the rain, so I started looking at the park map to have some fun. Headed up, up, up. Had to get off of the bike 3 times. Twice for lack of traction/really steep trail, and once for lack of legs. Both walks were less than 50 yds. I came up on a speed trap by NH fish and game, they pointed that radar gun at me and told me to speed up or it wouldn't register. I stepped it up and got clocked at 13mph heading up hill...I'll take that. I was worried that I may get a hard time for not paying a day use fee for the park, but they didn't care. They loved the bike, saying that there is a first time for everything. Wished me safe and sent me on my way. All of the sled-necks I talked to we're super interested in the bike, but not in riding one. Of the estimated 30-40 sleds that I saw on the trails, I thought maybe 3 of them didn't slow down enough...but then I was going pretty fast down the hill, they were coming up. All of the rest were extremely courteous, and I got plenty of thumbs up from them. The rain turned to snow during my 1,300 feet of elevation gain, it was really windy, and there was even a bolt of lightning. About half way back down the trails turned a bit wet and soft, but still fine...just harder on the legs. Rode straight back into town and to my favorite Chinese restaurant/bar. Perfect day. 20.3 miles.How was your commute today?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358725378.871782.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^ Nice story& pic.

I rode. I sucked. I was conquered. But I rode.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    Schott, that's a lot of snowbike miles on a crazy weather day, sounds like a fun day though, and a great ending with the Chinese food/bar reward. Wild weather here too, a weird mix of snow squalls and sun, and very windy. I re-groomed my (off snowmo route) feeder trail and shortcut with the snowshoes and then the fatskis, so they should be running fast when I go back to work Tuesday.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    wonder where the wife is? bit slower than usual.
    ah well.
    (wait longer)
    hey hon, where are ya?
    "snapped my crankarm, walking home"
    you... you what?? are you ok??
    "yeah, be there soon"

snapped a fsa ti isis bb awhile bakc, her campy shift paddle like a week ago
    byknuts, you forgot to post a picture of your wife's legs. They must be pretty impressive to snap a crank arm. How did she do it? Sheer power starting or going up a hill?

Nice pics and story Schott. Sounds like a great day. I only got out long enough to scope out the lake:

Somewhere around 5F here this morning. The trials were firm enough but not fast. We've got a winter storm watch for tomorrow so I guess today is my only trail day for a while. I can probably squeeze one in tomorrow morning.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Psyching myself into it. Bitter cold ha s gripped SE WI. Snow hasnt been a factor thus far.. Oh Spring, how I long for thee1 *sigh*

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Ya don`t pull the cape on the old Lone Ranger and you don`t mess around with Mrs Byknuts!

Finished my third attempt at repairing my broken Cyo (mounting lug snapped off in a fall). Third time`s the charm? I just need to remount and rewire it now.

Tonight was drier than the past two, with no ice fog, so I tried the nose thing again. It worked better- fogged up a little when I got home, but not while I was rolling.
    Looks pretty good...the store bought one extends further to the sides underneath the lenses..

However the googles have a really good seal to prevent the air coming up so that probably won't work unless you have the glasses/googles like Mtsexplorer has.

mtbr member
    Good ride this AM. Cool, back down to 12 F when I left my house. The snow we got last week and the light dusting we got over the weekend really helped to bring the trails back around. Took it a bit slow today to just enjoy the air and the feeling of the earth moving beneath my wheels. Oh, and it's Monday so I really don't want to be at work anyway...

mtbr member
    Wiped out leaving my parking garage this morning. Studs + concrete =

I ride across it every day, but today there are a dozen new, footlong scratches in the floor.

Temperatures back down to 0F (from the 40s on friday and -15F yesterday), and fairly heavy snow all make an otherwise uneventful commute.

weirdo
    Schott, that sounds like a real punisher, 20 climby miles is a LOT of snow to cover! +1 on your reward being well earned!

Nice, Bedawrds . That`s an awfuly deep track you were pushing there before stopping for the pic. I hope you`ll soon be pushing a wide track rather than a deep one

I`m such a lazy 4$$ these days- Since late Oct, I`ve only taken one ride other than my commutes. I think about it often, but every time I poke my nose outside I go right back in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    However the googles have a really good seal to prevent the air coming up so that probably won't work unless you have the glasses/googles like Mtbxplorer has.
    Found a pair of ski goggles that I`ll try out tonight. I have the impression that single pane googles are known to be terrible foggers, but I don`t think I`ve ever tried them. Yeah, the nose thing really should go under goggles rather than glasses.

Been working on that old Rockhopper I bought a few months ago. I stripped it to the frame, scrubbed all the parts, did all the bearings, and started putting it back together. It`s in temporary SS mode for testing purposes, but I picked up shifter cables for it yesterday, ought to at least cable the RD today. FD isn`t going on yet because I`m not sure if I`m keeping those cranks or putting the original Deores back on
    Recalculating....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Nicely done Schott. When I first saw that pic, I thought it was a fux photo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hah! bedwards, you want pics of my wife's legs you gotta be sneakier than that!
    no hills, we were downtown, probably just starting off from the lights.
    can't warranty them, but ah well, they've more'n served their purpose.

replaced TEMPORARILY with a set of FSA team issue full carbon roadie arms.
    although to be fair, I'm at a loss as to what to suggest for her that's cx gearing but stronger than NextLp's!

maybe salt got to the aluminium between where the carbon core is and the back of it's cavity, and just went to town on the alu?
    anyways, I think I'm gong to bolt the 1/2 a ti bb to the crankarm and mount it somewhere.
    "offerings to the gods of commuting speed" as it were.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    maybe salt got to the aluminium between where the carbon core is and the back of it's cavity, and just went to town on the alu?
    anyways, I think I'm gong to bolt the 1/2 a ti bb to the crankarm and mount it somewhere.
    "offerings to the gods of commuting speed" as it were.
    My thought was micro cracks either from impact or original manufacture error plus salt. My guess but it is your $$ that this should not be repeatable. If if is, you'd have a very good case that warranty or no, the crank arm is not as advertised.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Nicely done Schott. When I first saw that pic, I thought it was a fux photo.

What is a fux photo? Thanks for the props, it was a stiff day, but I was having so much fun out there. 10 of the miles were flat and fast, 6 or so climby, 4 descending. Guess which miles went by too fast. I was totally planning on a ride again today...the legs said to rest...so I did.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    What is a fux photo?
    Fux is the mtbr version of Galen Rowell. You can see some of his pics in the "Long Cold Winter" thread.
    Recalculating....