Page 344 of 608 FirstFirst ... 244 294 334 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 354 394 444 ... LastLast
Results 8,576 to 8,600 of 15178
    weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    This is kinda of what overflow looks like.
    Blech- what a slushy, sloppy mess! I can imagine how it is to ride over after it freezes up with all those tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    My commute at 6AM this morning temp was a chilly 24' according to the Garmin. 24'C that is.
    I wasn't bothering commuting during our rainy season, just getting the bus or a cab; you can generally set your watch by it around 2 to 3PM it clouds over and by 4PM it is absolutely lashing it down usually with lightning thrown in to boot; just in time for the ride home.
    Seeing you guys out there in arctic conditions made me feel a tad guilty so have rode every day in 2013 so far. It doesn't really get that cold even when it rains here.
    SJ, your profile says Scotland and Singapore. I take it you`re not looking out the windows at any castles about now . Is this your rainy season right now?

We`ve been enjoying beautiful windless days with sunshine and highs in the 40s, then dropping like a rock when the sun goes down to single digits by dawn. Had quite a fog for my midnight return commute with zilions of ice crystals dancing in the air- makes a really neat cone from my headlight and sort of paints a textured white finish on all forward facing surfaces. I made myself a nose shield at work from cardboard and duct tape, tried it out in good nose shield weather (cold and damp). It really did keep my nose warmer but fogged me up terribly. Too much overhang at the end of my schnozz just funnels my breath straight up under the lenses. I`ll work on it, but kind of doubt I`ll be able to do much with glasses- better idea for goggles. How do I look?
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I see from your photo why you're having trouble.

I Ride for Donuts
    Nice

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Had quite a fog for my midnight return commute with zilions of ice crystals dancing in the air- makes a really neat cone from my headlight and sort of paints a textured white finish on all forward facing surfaces.
    That's it, right there. Dropping like a rock when the sun goes down. Not getting warm enough here for any really good fog though. Our highs are barely getting to the mid 30's. Just a few trickles of water coming out a foot or so from under the snow piles before they freeze up again. boring forecast for the next several days... single digit low, high of 34, single digit low, high of 35, single digit low, high of 33,...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    ...I made myself a nose shield at work from cardboard and duct tape, tried it out in good nose shield weather (cold and damp)....
    Making a nose shield out of cardbord and duct tape really says somebody but I'm not sure what that is. . You should add (Dark) to that list.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    After being cloudy for the past week, the sun is finally out! It's going to be a nice ride home.

mtbr member
    As I was changing into my riding clothes to go home I saw the groomer go by on the thru-town snomo trail. So good. I've been having to go by the grocery store 3-4 times a week lately, it's been a while since I've been able to take the Ute down for a big shopping trip. It really is a push to get up my hill, with snowy roads, fat tires, work stuff, and 10-15 pounds of groceries. May have to try to get the old VW started for a grocery run...then again, maybe I'll wait until after the -20 temperatures.

Moderator Moderator
    I live on a hill as well, and canít get motivated to haul more than a quart of milk or so. I applaud those who do. I use the car and combine grocery shopping with other errands like trash, bottle return, getting gas for the snowblower etc. If it was available here I might use some of my bikecommuter gas savings to pay for that Peapod online grocery delivery service. Itís about $10 for delivery in NYC, would have been great in my gramís 5th floor walkup. With the added benefit of not spending my free time at the grocery store.

mtbr member
    The 10-20 mph winds were 16 gusting to 30 at an angle that was a bit of a headwind outbound (I assume my body was an airfoil, and more of one returning. Was 40 dropping to 39 F. Colder is coming.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    I was pedaling up the snowmobile trail section tonight that doubles as a mile-long driveway, and pulled over to let a truck pass. And waved, while trying not to blind him. He stopped to chat and then gave me a $10 gift card to his restaurant "The Quarry" in Barre.

mtbr member
    ^^ Like getting a couple of beers (guy here recently got given one) except you have to get there, but very nice!

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    [QUOTE=rodar y rodar;10081070]SJ, your profile says Scotland and Singapore. I take it you`re not looking out the windows at any castles about now . Is this your rainy season right now?

.........How do I look?
    [QUOTE]

Yep - should delete the Scotland bit - not lived there this milenium yet - only visited. BTW it's mostly concrete in the cities not castles.
    For the last three months it has pretty much rained every afternoon - although rain doesn't really come close to describing it - more like being caught in an oversized power washer is closer to the mark. Showing some signs of improvement over the last few days though

BTW you look something that Hitchcock or Sam Raimi would have been proud to have imagined

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Nice

That's it, right there. Dropping like a rock when the sun goes down. Not getting warm enough here for any really good fog though. Our highs are barely getting to the mid 30's. Just a few trickles of water coming out a foot or so from under the snow piles before they freeze up again. boring forecast for the next several days... single digit low, high of 34, single digit low, high of 35, single digit low, high of 33,...
    I feel your pain, my feet were cold when I got home. BTW temp is lower left on pix.

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-bikea1.jpg  

2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    6C(43F) this morning, capping off a really nice and really sloppy week. Trails have been too soft, so I've had to stick to the roads on the way home. There's still plenty of snow around, but there's even grass showing through in a few spots.

But that grass is stupid, because on Sunday it's supposed to be -27C(-17F). Thankfully I don't plan on riding anywhere, and the rest of next week is only supposed to be normal-cold and not really-cold. But Monday morning could be pretty rough, and all of the slop is going to flashfreeze into icy little moonscapes.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    We have the icy moonscapes now. 5F when I passed the thermometer sign near work. I was dressed for it so no problems but I am slower than a spotted salamander in these temps. Although spotted salamanders might be frozen nearly solid right now. If not solid I think the cold would slow them down more then me so I may still be faster...but I digress.

I wish the trails were passable, maybe after this weekend.

weirdo
    Whoo, free lunch That`s even better than a free beer.

43F in the morning, Newf? Crazy!

Hang in there Simple John, and don`t drown.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    You should add (Dark) to that list.
    I added (Dork) to my list. That`s okay, the chicks really dig it. The dorky chicks, anyway.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ I've thought about trying to fab some cardboard and duct tape pogies. I'd use black duct tape to make sure it fit my bike's decor.

I Ride for Donuts
    I had an epiphany this morning. A well-digger's a$$ really can't be that cold at all, since the simple fact that he's digging a well implies that the ground isn't frozen solid like the arctic tundra that I'm commuting on. I would pay good money to be as warm as a well-digger's a$$.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I had an epiphany this morning. A well-digger's a$$ really can't be that cold at all, since the simple fact that he's digging a well implies that the ground isn't frozen solid like the arctic tundra that I'm commuting on. I would pay good money to be as warm as a well-digger's a$$.
    Well well diggers often have to dig through frozen ground around here....

Actually we do most of the pipeline work in the winter, and hand expose the pipelines for tie-ins ...

Takes a while and the diggers get stinking cold.

Moderator Moderator
    I can't say that I've heard that expression, but I'd have to agree with you, as the groundwater stays pretty much the same temperature year round. Similarly, I don't see any reason why a witch's teat should be particularly cold either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I skipped the ride today as it was 14 degrees and there's supposed to be a strong wind this evening (although it'll be up to mid 20s by then). I feel like I'm pushing it with a single layer of tights in the low to mid 20s, 14 was too much. How low do you all go before adding another layer on the legs?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I skipped the ride today as it was 14 degrees and there's supposed to be a strong wind this evening (although it'll be up to mid 20s by then). I feel like I'm pushing it with a single layer of tights in the low to mid 20s, 14 was too much. How low do you all go before adding another layer on the legs?
    I ride down to about -15 C with a single layer of tights...5 F.

The trick is to have really well insulated feet (winter snow bike boots shimano MW81 or equal).....I also wear a pair of chamois shorts underneath the tights.

I hate wearing two pairs of tights, I layer a size large on top of the mediums....the do restrict the laeg somewhat.

mtbr member
    Cold for this morning's ride. 1 F. A bit of a shock to the system after the last two weeks being so warm. Also, I just had no energy at all. In fact one of my co-workers commented after I got here that I was looking a bit pale. Hope I'm just tired and not getting ill.

The colder temps did a good job of consolidating down the snow we got yesterday so things were not too bad in terms of being slippy.

It does sound like more snow is in the forecast for this weekend, so by Monday the trails should be amazing for riding, particularly if the groomers are able to get out.

I did run up on a young bull moose on the ride in. Just taking his time walking down the center of the trail. Those darn moose really slow down the commute. They don't respond to cries of "Passing on your left." Well they do. About as well as the skiers do.

Thank goodness it is Friday!
    Last edited by blockphi; 01-18-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the moose

I Ride for Donuts
    Somewhere in the mid 20's I throw on a windproof pair of rain pants over the tights. I either wear mtb shorts and leg warmers, or thick (Sugoi 'subzero') tights, and then put the windproof pants on over the top. Once you block the wind, you're good to go. I've ridden both combos in the negative 4 range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^ I've thought about trying to fab some cardboard and duct tape pogies. I'd use black duct tape to make sure it fit my bike's decor.
    CB can use camo duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Well well diggers often have to dig through frozen ground around here....Takes a while and the diggers get stinking cold.
    Had to dig out the 4 ' deep line to the barn or haul a ridiculous amount of water one winter. The exercise of pick axing down keeps you warm enough until you hit water. Water has a hellacious heat capacity. Sucks you dry. Fingers lose feeling fast. A$$ not far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I can't say that I've heard that expression, but I'd have to agree with you, as the groundwater stays pretty much the same temperature year round. Similarly, I don't see any reason why a witch's teat should be particularly cold either.
    Well I'd guess the ones in Salem, Mass were pretty toasty at one time. Different meaning to "Light my Fire!"

I have different density layers so I use the stand in a sheltered area of the house test. Yep need another layer. Or that's about right. Neighbors know I'm nuts. So no problem if they see me. I ride a bike in winter. Enough said.

BrianMc

BrianMc

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Had to dig out the 4 ' deep line to the barn or haul a ridiculous amount of water one winter. The exercise of pick axing down keeps you warm enough until you hit water. Water has a hellacious heat capacity. Sucks you dry. Fingers lose feeling fast. A$$ not far behind.

BrianMc

BrianMc
    I had a job as a soils tester....worst job was measuring the fronst level....pretty high say 2 feet down in Decmeber....by March frozen down to about 8 feet

In June we still have a layer of frost that goes from about 8 feet down to 10 feet down.

We had a 4 inch diameter auger...when you hit ice you knew you would be there for quite a while.