• 05-01-2015
    BrianMc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foxtrot7 View Post
    Thanks. Under 200. I was 230 beginning January.

Congrats. I am 188 down from 235 in December of 2013. You build heavier muscle riding and so dropping 6" in waist band is maybe more indicative.
  • 05-01-2015
    BrianMc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by biker_soldier101 View Post
    This happened.

Yeah. I've been nailed, screwed, sliced, and bored (but no goat heads here, TG). Almost makes you want a magnetic bar suspended just in front of the front wheel to clear the way.
  • 05-01-2015
    biker_soldier101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^I've had the same. It makes your tube look like a woodpecker attacked it on both sides.

I was going to patch it but it has 3 holes in the tube and I heard air coming out of the area around the stem. We will see when I put air in it without it being in the tire.
  • 05-01-2015
    z1r
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dang, I'm at just over 800 for the year. A bit behind where I'd like to be but dang have I been busy. It'll be ok. I'll make up for it after I graduate next week and can't have busy as my excuse.

I'm only at 995 miles for the year. Will tip over 1000 on the way home. Better than last year but well short of where I wanted to be this year. Kinda disappointing considering I was riding even in the snow. Just seems like I haven't been able to get very many weekend rides in due to other obligations! Damn, I hate responsibility!
  • 05-01-2015
    z1r
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Yeah. I've been nailed, screwed, sliced, and bored (but no goat heads here, TG). Almost makes you want a magnetic bar suspended just in front of the front wheel to clear the way.

For some strange reason I kept seeing (thankfully) lots of sharp pointy objects on my way to work this morning. Other than broken glass, I don't usually see many screws, nails, etc. Goatheads, never see them until I'm prying them out of my tires.
  • 05-01-2015
    biker_soldier101
    Goatheads? Excuse my noobness.
  • 05-01-2015
    bedwards1000
    ^^ A thorny plant that is designed to puncture bike tires. Not unlike the sand spurs in Florida but stouter.
    Tribulus terrestris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Luckily, we have neither here in Maine.
  • 05-01-2015
    Kleebs
    I lost my cool yesterday. Riding home about an hour later than normal (around 7 - 7:30ish) and got cutoff by a driver turning left across the westbound lanes onto a side street. He clearly saw me because he cut the intersection to try to turn before I got there, despite the fact there were no cars in front or behind me in any of the three westbound lanes. I had to slam on the brakes to not hit him. I lost my temper.

I turned into the church parking lot at the corner and cut across it to the sidestreet that the asshat had turned onto. He was stuck at the next light with a no turn on red sign so I charged up next to him to have a chat. I'm yelling at the guy and waving at him from his passenger window but he's completely pre-occupied...and not by a cell phone. While waiting for the light, this numb nuts is literally playing with his nuts. At times even mixing it up with the off-hand. I couldn't ****ing believe it!

Eventually he did look up to see me gesticulating wildly and yelling at him and he just stares at me blankly. I ask him why he didn't just wait back there and he had no answer. Then the light changed and he pulled away. He had absolutely nothing to say. If you're going to drive like an idiot, be prepared for someone to call you on it. Maybe he was feeling for his balls because he didn't seem to have any.
  • 05-01-2015
    NDD
    Dude, Kleebs. That is some nonsense. Who diddles themselves while driving?

z1r, that is the sentiment exactly. I never stopped, but I'm behind my goal. Catching up to do.

Bedwards, I had heard of goat heads but not looked then up. Never seen that plant family before... Probably because it's a non native invasive species. Is it just too prevalent to really eradicate like honeysuckle is over in the mid Midwest? People should be all about tearing that up.
  • 05-01-2015
    z1r
    Forgot to mention that on my way in this morning I was a mere few feet from a wild Turkey, no, not the bottled kind. I'm used to seeing geese everyday so it took a second to register that the coloring and shape were wrong. A big beautiful, female! Made me glad to be on my bike and not in my steel cage!

Have a stellar weekend everybody!
  • 05-01-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Wow, Kleebs, talk about distracted driving! Glad you came out safe from that disaster area.
  • 05-01-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    I was feeling kinda down about no biking today on the first day of Bike Month, but while hanging out after dinner, I decided it was time for a nightcap. But, I was running low on bourbon, having only enough for one weak drink. I saddled up and headed to the liquor store a few miles away. Everything went without a hitch on the way there, but as I was on my way home, I pulled up to a car at a stop sign who didn't have their lights on at 9 at night. I tapped the window and informed them, to which I was met with "Whuuu?". I repeated myself, they stared at their dashboard for a second, and then told me that everything was working fine. I flagged down a cop in a nearby parking lot (with a bottle of whiskey in my backpack, just for irony's sake), and waved at the officer as I passed them on the side of the road a block later. Good times.
  • 05-01-2015
    Rustedthrough
    Clearly, seeking bourbon is good for society. Bicycling to get bourbon improves highway safety. Well done Texan.

Had a great ride in, no wind, no foolishness, etc. except where I have to cross over the interstate and the surrounding exits are closed for construction season. Even that mess was as painless as it has ever been.

Got to work and found out that I could have my car back, and that three of my coworkers are planning to start commuting from a nearby farm, park and ride style. Bike month is off to a good start here.
  • 05-02-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Help tomorrow's bikecommuters learn to ride...

Quote:

Originally Posted by velomom View Post
    The non-profit, Axel Project, my husband and I started after the loss of our son is up for a $10,00 grant. We'd use it to get kids 2-5 started cycling in PreK.

We are so close but need a few more votes. It's an easy one, 3 seconds with no logins.

Thank you!!
    KEEN Footwear

• 05-02-2015
    Rustedthrough
    Festive. Not really a commute, but my standard university commute plus a few miles and a few friends. Graduation day at WMU, Prom night for several local schools, and an earthquake that shook everyone up but seems to have hurt nothing.

I met up with a few of my colleagues on campus, and we rode out to the bowing alley to celebrate their achievements and the glorious weather. The return ride was slow with all the revelers out downtown, but it seemed like everyone had a smile on.
  • 05-02-2015
    TenSpeed
    We felt that earthquake a bit over here as well. Kind of surprised me to be honest. Not something that happens here on a daily basis.
  • 05-03-2015
    mtbxplorer
    A powerful and moving ride today with about 500 other people to remember Richard Tom, killed.on his bike last weekend. We.started at the high school the deceased driver attended, passed the crash site, continued through Richard's condo and pedaled back to the high school.

About 400 ride to remember Hinesburg crash victims

Local author Chris Bohjalian (love his books!) also wrote about it today in the paper..
    Let’s learn from this spring’s bike tragedies
  • 05-04-2015
    CommuterBoy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Had to stop for a little 'Merica moment yesterday.

Attachment 985998
  • 05-04-2015
    blockphi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Had to stop for a little 'Merica moment yesterday.

Attachment 985998

Hey, look. It's an Alaskan pigeon! :)

Good ride in this AM. A bit chilly, but shaping up to be a glorious day.

Yesterday I took a brief ride after doing some repairs to the bike on Saturday - broke the rear der on Friday night and decided to swap to a different rear tire. On the way home blew the tire off the bead. Just rolling along climbing a small incline on grass. Slow and low and then...BOOM! Stan's is some messy stuff! More annoyance than anything. So, swapped back to the tire I was using and will call it good for now.
  • 05-04-2015
    Ghost_HTX
    How was my commute? Crap. Spent Sunday evening hovering over the toilet... Sorry, but with the stomach thing I had going on I couldnt tell which end was going to erupt...

So I had very little energy this morning. Plus a full backpack (clean towel, toiletries for the week office clothes and so on...) made for a slow spin into the office. Left my bag at work for the return ride. Felt better and so was up for hammering. Big mistake. Hadnt eaten properly all day. Managed to bonk on a 11km ride. And it was raining. :D

Tomorrow will be better ... I hope...
  • 05-04-2015
    BCTJ
    Really nice commute in this morning. As gas prices go back up (nearly $3.00/gallon now), its actually a good thing for me, because, that means that I'm saving more money by commuting!
  • 05-04-2015
    rodar y rodar
    CB, if you had gotten any closer to that "AK Pigeon", you`d have needed an umbrella! Was that around Susanville?

Feeling a little icky since Friday. Not as bad as Ghost wrote about, but low energy, stuffy nose, sinus headache. Had a quincaera Sat, road trip with my wife and my mom and dad yesterday, sloooowly working in the yard today on drip irrigation problems and weeding. Only three days this week, which is going to suck come payday, but I`ll take the four day weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    A powerful and moving ride today with about 500 other people to remember Richard Tom, killed.on his bike last weekend. We.started at the high school the deceased driver attended, passed the crash site, continued through Richard's condo and pedaled back to the high school.

Quite a turn out for a weekday. It`s nice that the mouners/celebrants haven`t gotten into any finger pointing or "Us V Them" crap.
  • 05-04-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    CB, if you had gotten any closer to that "AK Pigeon", you`d have needed an umbrella! Was that around Susanville?

Yeah, about 3/4 of a mile into my commute route. There are a few nesting at the lakes that we frequent in the summer, to it's not a total shock to see one around, but I understand that bald eagles are to Alaska what deer are to us around here. I still can't get over the size of them when you're close. You can sort of see in the pic that it had half of a rabbit or something up there, and was having a little snack. After a minute of me staring at it, it took off...jumped off the post and sort of swooped down over the road, and I swear the wingspan took up almost a whole lane. It almost dropped some rabbit parts on me. Just awesome. I don't care how many they have in Alaska, they're freaking cool! :lol:
  • 05-04-2015
    cyclingdutchman
    My ride in this morning was ok. The ride back home was awesome, first withoutbjacket, just a shirt, this year.

Nice bird btw. I wonder what kind of wildlife you all see along the way? I see roe deers a lot, sometimes 15 of them. Furthermore I ve seen a boar 2 times and regularly birds of prey. And of course lots of predators in rolling steel cages. From now on I will always ride in daylight. Although safer I will miss the colourful sunrises I see in february and march.

For tomorrow morning rain is expected. And for the way home, thunderstorms are expected. Summer is fighting its way in. Will still take the bike though, the train drivers are on strike for the entire week so buses and roads are gonna be overfilled for sure. Luckily I have separated bikepaths for most of the way. Am looking forward to see those grumpy people in their cars :d
  • 05-04-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post

Nice bird btw. I wonder what kind of wildlife you all see along the way?

That's a great idea for a thread... I'm gonna start one!
  • 05-04-2015
    mtbxplorer
    ^^CB, great idea, but some of them have to be alive! Nice LIVE eagle shot!
  • 05-04-2015
    NDD
    Picked up one of those really basic little speed computers for my bike on Saturday. Cateye Padrone. It does what I need it to. I like it, because I can see when I start to slow down and force myself to start pedaling harder/faster. That's pretty nice and my average speed was up today. Woo? I dunno, it's entertaining. I also can make sure I'm not passing too quick by people with two dogs and a baby and a toddler rolling on his own...

CB, all I saw was a dumb old broad-winged hawk (I think, definitely not a red-tailed). I'm too lazy to stop to take pictures. Sometimes I see barred owls and skunks. Maybe I'll have to actually take photos of wildlife. Probably not. Too lazy.
  • 05-04-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Took the "long way home" tonight. LBS does a slower Monday night ride, and I decided to jump in on that before heading home.

While out on the ride, my right knee started burning, shooting pain down my calf and into my ankle. I have no idea what to do about it, other than trying a few other seat height methods and see if that does anything. I'm grasping at straws.

In good news, I'll be headed to Texas next month for interviews, and hopefully moving in 2 months. Can't wait for a change of scenery, some single track in my backyard, and actual elevation change.
  • 05-05-2015
    Straz85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I assume you passed the line of cars on the left which means there was room. I would have stopped behind the 2 cars that were turning right and then turned beside the first car that was turning left at the same time.

Completely forgot I posted this! I passed on the right. I'm starting to think I'll change how I handle those situations in the future. I'll either start waiting in line, or if the line is REALLY long and I don't want to wait, I'll pass the cars but turn right then loop back around to reverse directions.
  • 05-05-2015
    formula4speed
    BANG goes the tube. After ordering a new puncture resistant tire while I waited for my Schwalbe warranty replacement because I kept getting puncture flats, my tube failed at the seam in spectacular fashion. On the plus side I did finally get my replacement tire, took well over a month and I had already bought a replacement but at least they came through eventually.

Also got to test my new Lezyne mini-pump in the real world and I have to say I wish I bought this thing sooner. Having the hose on the mini-pump is so much nicer, got my 700x35 up to a bit over 40psi with little effort and rode the last couple miles home. I'm sure I could've gotten to my usual 65psi riding pressure if I needed to, but the floor pump wasn't far away.
  • 05-05-2015
    blockphi
    Decent commute this AM. Still a bit chilly in the mornings, but overall, getting nicer and nicer.
  • 05-05-2015
    newfangled
    Supposed to have a high of about 70F, but there's snow in the forecast for tonight...
  • 05-05-2015
    cyclingdutchman
    this morning was quite nice. It rained all night but this morning it was dry already. Due to the rain everything smelled just lovely. I had light headwinds but you can't have it all :)

Today I kept an eye on the weather radar all day and left a bit early at 4.15pm when the thunderstorms were approaching. At least it was the first day that I could ride in T-Shirt and shorts. Shouldn't have left a minute later, caught the first drops just before home and before I was well in the house, literally all hell broke loose. Gusts up to 50mph, 2cm of water on the streets and hail stones upto 7-8 mm. Went out in this apocalypse to drive the car under the carport.

And because it was so warm, I forgot to take my windjacket, so no idea what to wear tomorrow. Probably my rain jacket with the underarm zips wide open, but will still be pretty steamy I gues...
  • 05-05-2015
    AthleticAL
    Purrrrfect riding conditions lately. My legs are rebounding a little, too, but still not 100%. I've been working on those pedestrian bridges, especially the transitions, and I'm happy to say it's paying dividends... I carry 5-10 mph (8-16kph) to the hop-off point at the foot of the steps, mindful not to grab too much front brake on the dismount! And shoulder the bike for sprinting up the steps two-at-a-time, having already set the proper bridge gear prior to dismount, set the pedal, sprint across the bridge, kill the speed carefully before the opposite end steps and then quick-foot it down to street level.

It's not much, but working on the little stuff keeps it fun[emoji1]
  • 05-05-2015
    Kleebs
    ^Cyclocross training
  • 05-05-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Not so great today, bad drivers were out in droves. Got buzzed close enough to feel it, then cut off for an apparent convenience store "emergency" (had any pedestrians been in the lot they would have been run over).

The ride home was ok until I was in downtown Barre and heard a car coming up way too fast from behind and to my left - I was concerned at that speed that it would rearend the car stopped the light I was approaching.

But no, just as he was about to pass me he hit the ear splitting siren. I nearly jumped out of my skin as the local PD went by. Had he hit the siren a half block back both the motorists and I could responded better. I almost forgave him 2 blocks later when I saw him in a side street and apparently dealing with a domestic situation. I heard someone called a MOFO as I pedaled by, and I don't think it was the cop.
  • 05-05-2015
    NDD
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Not so great today, bad drivers were out in droves. Got buzzed close enough to feel it, then cut off for an apparent convenience store "emergency" (had any pedestrians been in the lot they would have been run over).

Man, fuel and pork rinds is a real-life emergency.

I woke up an hour late today. Had to quick throw on some fresh rags and hop in the car. Sadness. Threw my bike in the car so I could go on the shop ride after my final exam, though. It was a really good ride. Rocked the single speed. Some dudes were rather impressed that I could hold my own on a single speed, but I bet they wouldn't be if they tried it. Life is just so much simpler with one gear (most of the time). Plus I ride that thing most days. I'm considering getting the mtb out to ride tomorrow and hitting the off-road trails on the way home after my LAST FINAL OF UNDERGRAD!!!.

Sorry for all caps, but it was crucial.
  • 05-06-2015
    newfangled
    And now for a short interlude on Canadian politics...

Alberta is kindof like Canada's Texas. Now that's obviously not being fair to either place, but it works okay as shorthand. Basically: Oil, Cowboys, Conservative.

For my entire life there has been 1 government - the conservatives, who have been in power since 1971. In my parents' lives there have been 2 governments, with the SoCreds in power from 1935 to 1971. And in the 110 year history of the province there have been just 4 governments (or 3 different changes in power).

So last night there was an election, and the latest 44-year dynasty ended. And Canada's Texas elected a new government of recumbent-riding communist hippies.

And finally that brings me to my commuting-related punchline:

Evidently hell really has frozen over. (I would have gotten pictures of flying pigs for commuterboy's wildlife thread, but they were too quick for me.)
  • 05-06-2015
    blockphi
    A decent ride in this morning. Nothing exciting. No snow (thank goodness?) and Alaska is still Alaska as usual - crackpots and wingnuts.
  • 05-06-2015
    rodar y rodar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    LAST FINAL OF UNDERGRAD!!!

:band:
  • 05-06-2015
    Kleebs
    Short ride yesterday because I woke up late. Nice ride in today. I love May in my neighborhood because the whole month is the Bike to School Challenge and holy cow do the kids get into it. The fence surrounding the football field at the middle school becomes a gigantic bike rack and it is packed to the gills. I'll swing by and snap a picture of it tomorrow. It's quite a site to see.
  • 05-06-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    This morning was nice. No close calls, nothing thrown, no one being an idiot or out to get me. Just good weather, nice music, and the sound of my tires on the black top. When I got to the office, no one was there and I don't have a key, so I pedaled a few blocks down and rode along the river, watching the dark blue sky break into morning over some huge clouds and chase away the night. First time in a long time that I had done something like that, and I'm not sure why I don't do it more often. Seems to always set my day off on the right track.
  • 05-06-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    And now for a short interlude on Canadian politics...

Alberta is kindof like Canada's Texas. Now that's obviously not being fair to either place, but it works okay as shorthand. Basically: Oil, Cowboys, Conservative.

For my entire life there has been 1 government - the conservatives, who have been in power since 1971. In my parents' lives there have been 2 governments, with the SoCreds in power from 1935 to 1971. And in the 110 year history of the province there have been just 4 governments (or 3 different changes in power).

So last night there was an election, and the latest 44-year dynasty ended. And Canada's Texas elected a new government of recumbent-riding communist hippies.

And finally that brings me to my commuting-related punchline:

Evidently hell really has frozen over. (I would have gotten pictures of flying pigs for commuterboy's wildlife thread, but they were too quick for me.)

^^That entire post is hilarious :lol:
  • 05-06-2015
    cyclingdutchman
    Yesterday I was luckier than I thought. Just after I came home, all hell broke loose and we had 2cm of water on the terrace, almost seeping through the door. Luckily the seal held up. This morning I heard on the news that there was a lot of damage to buildings in town, 1 person got killed in his car when an entire roof (!) and 2 others were injured by falling trees. In a neighbouring town (approx 50miles away) a tornado formed that devastated an entire neighbourhood. So after reading that on the news I was not so proud of my very precise interpretation of the weather radar anymore and decided to be more careful next time.

On the way in this morning I had to get from the bike twice to somehow get around a fallen tree. A third one was already moved out of the way. On the way back home the wind had picked up, 20 kts and gusting 30 kts headwind, so I was on the drops most of the time. Although I set up my bike mostly for riding on the tops and the hoods, this was exactly the kind of thing that made me switch from flatbar to dropbar. Hence I still enjoyed the ride :D
  • 05-06-2015
    wschruba
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    Short ride yesterday because I woke up late. Nice ride in today. I love May in my neighborhood because the whole month is the Bike to School Challenge and holy cow do the kids get into it. The fence surrounding the football field at the middle school becomes a gigantic bike rack and it is packed to the gills. I'll swing by and snap a picture of it tomorrow. It's quite a site to see.

If I remember, I'll swing by the middle school on my way to work. Three (3) lots dedicated to bike parking. Shame the adults don't get into as much as the kids.
  • 05-06-2015
    BrianMc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    It's quite a site to see.

Nice pun.
  • 05-06-2015
    Sgraffite
    Got a lot of rain yesterday and the construction near REI flooded, as well as Confluence Park:

• 05-06-2015
    newfangled
    ^ Denver?
  • 05-06-2015
    Sgraffite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ Denver?

Yup
  • 05-06-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgraffite View Post
    Yup

I miss living in Denver. Used to rent an apt at Colfax and Adams, right down the street from the Bluebird.