Page 343 of 632 FirstFirst ... 243 293 333 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 353 393 443 ... LastLast
Results 8,551 to 8,575 of 15776
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    damn dogs (owners that let them roam free).
    Dog Attack - YouTube
    That dog was very lucky I was able to kick him off of me.

mtbr member
    I'll take a farm dog running from far away over those surprise dogs. Wouldn't even have time to defend yourself. Good job.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    panaracer cross blasters have wciked traction even slightly subzero on city streets!
    stoppied to avoid ipod'd pede who wandered out between cars.
    she crossed 4 lanes of traffic to find herself in my way... but was nice enough to apologize when my carradice bag popped me in the back of the head.
    think she realized I'd obviously hammered HARD on the brakes to make sure she didn't get so much as a tire print.

**** fixed gear riders, sometimes there is NOWHERE TO GO but into a person.
    and I didn't.
    XTR v-brakes on cross tires for the win!!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchmedic View Post
    I'll take a farm dog running from far away over those surprise dogs. Wouldn't even have time to defend yourself. Good job.
    i get those farm dogs too. This was just as I left work in town. I have another 2 sets of dogs that tend to give me interval training in the mornings.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Clearly, that dog is trained to retrieve anyone that might not obey the stop sign.

weirdo
    Getting there, Brian. A few more weeks you`ll be passing the leaping lizards.
    Do fat bike tires roll over groomed ski tracks, or get rut-bound?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Melted my favorite gaiter with a hair dryer this morning trying to dry it out all speedy-like.
    Melted with a hair dryer? Wow, what material was it made from?

Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    Coldest commute for me, ever. Funny thing though, my co-workers weren't incredulous about me riding in sub-zero temps, but that I carry my bike up a flight of stairs when I get here.
    I bet they thought you`d climbed to a record height in the stariwell, but already knew you were a cold weather master

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ Clearly, that dog is trained to retrieve anyone that might not obey the stop sign.
    "Error occurred", so I have to take your word for it.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    After patching nearly 50 holes in a decon shelter at work, just about the last thing I wanted to do was patch a tube, but I had to anyway. We received a decent amount of sleet and freezing rain yesterday evening. Due to my last experience with an icy MUP, I decided it would be better to take a bike with knobby tires. I didn't want to take my main mtb, but my older Cannondale was stripped of a rear wheel. So after getting installing the cassette, tire, and tube, I began to pump and noticed a leaking sound. I swapped to another tube and got the same thing. It turns out the first tube had a stem that was tearing away, and the second tube had a puncture that I neglected to fix last time. Not having another presta tube, I either had to fix the tube or ride my mtb (the singlespeed with slicks was not a viable option at that point), so I fixed the tube. Oh well. Still beats driving.
    Last edited by s0ckeyeus; 01-16-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Anchorage trails have turned as hell froze over...20F, walkers and animals have post-holed the trails very badly making for a very chatter slow ride. The fat tires do help with this problem, but still bad. The sidewalks are ice rinks, but very fast with Dillingers!!!

I Ride for Donuts
    I pulled the 'clava down over the chin about half way to town this morning, and got som Jordy-caliber beard-cicles going. I thought it was 10 or 11 degrees F (based on the forecast)...reality check when I got to work showed that it was actually 3.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I agree with JordyB - lots of holes and ruts to work around, though it is a bit of a fun challenge finding that one strip that is fairly smooth and fast rolling. As I'm rolling studless, the streets are a bit slow for me. Though I have to say that the fat tires with lower pressures do surprisingly well on the ice apart from the one section of overflow I have to ride on. Looks like snow is coming in, so maybe we'll get a bit over an inch before the ride home to help cover up some of the ice - hopefully it is wet, sticky stuff and not the dry, sandy stuff...

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic49 View Post
    damn dogs (owners that let them roam free).
    Dog Attack - YouTube
    That dog was very lucky I was able to kick him off of me.
    Ah, crap! That was a surprise, going from sniffing around to attack mode just as you approached. No way in hell I`d have stopped at that sign either!

Blockphi, what are the "overflows" that you sometimes mention? You mean where water runs out of something and freezes or somewhere for excess traffic to bypass a standard route?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post

Blockphi, what are the "overflows" that you sometimes mention? You mean where water runs out of something and freezes or somewhere for excess traffic to bypass a standard route?
    Part of my commute is through a swampy area that, when it warms up starts flowing - so water running over the trail and then freezing back down. Just part of the fun of living in Alaska! What's even more fun is when one layer freezes, then another layer forms but does not freeze completely so you break through as you ride or walk over it! Dangerous on a river or stream, but pretty harmless when the water is no more than a couple of inches deep, though last night I broke through in a deep spot and went over the top of my boot. The rest of the ride was a bit chilly.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Rodar:

This is kinda of what overflow looks like. It's when a body of water can't flow through its natural path and spills over onto trails and then starts to freeze or turn into a slushy nightmare.

mtbr member
    You surprised it, that poor dog...I kid...sounded vicious. Started snowing on my way to work this morning, 3 inches or so on the ground for the ride home. Freshies on super solid trails is the bestest.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Nice, bring an extra layer or 2 tomorrow, Schott & Bedwards, and any other N'n New Englanders and Quebecers out there. Arctic Front is supposed to drop temps from 25F for the a.m. commute today to 10 or less for the ride home. About 3" at my house today too, but I drove the foster pup to get spayed today.

CB, hope you get a little warm up, and maybe more ice for the studs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    No riding for me today

I was lucky enough to spot one of these Tuesday night on craigslist and the lady was willing to hold it for me until I get drive (yuck) the 50 miles to pick it up.

Amazon.com: Feedback Sports Pro-Classic Bicycle Repair Stand (BRS-80R): Sports & Outdoors

Was worth it though snagged it for roughly 70% off
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-19006_2328085717838_1135573674_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    A bit too chilly at -8F. Fortunately the forecast says this does not last long...

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Just come over to my house hunter...they run through my yard almost daily. Back when my wife was keeping chickens they would come around and snatch a chicken when we were not watching. Last year I startled one on the Sammamish River trail - it was standing on that section of trail in front of the apartments south of the ballfields and I chased it down the trail for about 50 yards until it cleared the apartments and was able to dart off to the side.
    Yeah, that's where I was. But 4 years of commuting through that area, this was the first time I'd seen one.d

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ Nice, bring an extra layer or 2 tomorrow, Schott & Bedwards, and any other N'n New Englanders and Quebecers out there. Arctic Front is supposed to drop temps from 25F for the a.m. commute today to 10 or less for the ride home. About 3" at my house today too, but I drove the foster pup to get spayed today.

CB, hope you get a little warm up, and maybe more ice for the studs.
    Thanks for the warning. I didn't see it until I got to work but I've got all my layers with me. Right around 0 for tomorrow morning too.

Pic Of the Day: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration

This mornings commute was sloppy and slippery. At least all this spindrift was on my glasses and not my eyeballs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-2013-01-17-08.13.09.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My commute at 6AM this morning temp was a chilly 24' according to the Garmin. 24'C that is.
    I wasn't bothering commuting during our rainy season, just getting the bus or a cab; you can generally set your watch by it around 2 to 3PM it clouds over and by 4PM it is absolutely lashing it down usually with lightning thrown in to boot; just in time for the ride home.
    Seeing you guys out there in arctic conditions made me feel a tad guilty so have rode every day in 2013 so far. It doesn't really get that cold even when it rains here.

I Ride for Donuts
    I had to walk across the street to the store after I got to work. Frighteningly cold out there after the change into work clothes. I see why people think we're crazy! I don't know how I just rode to work in that!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    ^^ I use skiing silk underlayers (allergic to wool) and took to saving the lightest for under street clothes. You don't get too hot unless on top of a heat source. Such strolls outside only affect the exposed head and hands. Tolerable short term.

Others would say, "You're Canadian,eh?"

"Yes but I am naturalized."

What they don't know won't hurt me.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ I use skiing silk underlayers (allergic to wool) and took to saving the lightest for under street clothes. You don't get too hot unless on top of a heat source. Such strolls outside only affect the exposed head and hands. Tolerable short term.

Others would say, "You're Canadian,eh?"

"Yes but I am naturalized."

What they don't know won't hurt me.

BrianMc
    gotta link for the silk underwear....I used to have a full set including liner gloves but it hasn't been around for a while.

Moderator Moderator
    About 3" of nice fluff over the packed trails made for nice fatbiking this morning. The only thing that detracted a bit was running late. But I still stopped for photos. The temps haven't dropped much here yet, but a good squall went through with gusty winds and blowing snow.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Excellent commute this AM. Nice fluffy snow falling down. Fairly warm. The overflow section of my commute was nicely covered with snow and a few tracks to help it freeze down, so not too slick. I did lose grip on one spot, but was able to ride the whole section today. JordyB's pic shows a good example of what it looks like without the snow cover. Good times.