• 04-28-2015
    blockphi
    A good ride this AM. A bit sprinkly in the valley. Dry in town. Warm - in the low 40s. Getting almost to where I will start wearing shorts in the mornings as well as the afternoons. For some reason 42 in the AM feels colder than it does in the PM. Lack of sun and the humidity in the air, I guess. Legs still feel a touch dead, but it's okay.

    Yesterday afternoon was a good ride. Sunny and warm. But no wind in the valley, which is a rarity. I like it. As of today I am on pace to hit 530 miles for the month. I'm not sure that I'll be able to go much beyond that, but I'm happy with it. If I do, I'll be at 1663 miles for the year. I'll have to bump up the mileage a bit to hit 8K this year, but that shouldn't be too hard with the summer riding season fast approaching - Heck, I know I'll be starting May with a 45 mile or more day, so there's that.
  • 04-28-2015
    TenSpeed
    Great pics woodway!! I would take that route as well for some views like that.
  • 04-28-2015
    AthleticAL
    [QUOTE=s0ckeyeus;11932176]I got a new pair of shoes for the commute, some Teva Pinner IIs off Amazon for less than $30. I've been shopping for shoes for a few months and couldn't find anything cheap enough. When the bottom of your foot gets wet from water leaking through the sole, it's time for a change. ;) It was nice actually having some grip again. The Tevas are actually pretty awesome.
    QUOTE]

    Nice! If I could score those in an 11, I would...

    "Nothin' but nice" might be a good way to describe the weather this week 'round the Twin Cities metro. The commute this morning was a bit contentious, however. First off, my legs are TIRED--Credit the weekend off-road adventures, and maybe just too much riding in general over the last several weeks. Might be time to back way off for a week and let them refresh some.

    So this morning I was hoping to leave myself extra time for the ride in so I could come in at a leisurely pace. But that wasn't happening. So I had to hustle as usual. And then when I normally would have assumed a lane for just the shortest stretch before making a left turn, I didn't take the lane as I see a car just taking off from a stop sign to my left (I had no stop coming into that intersection). Well, in retrospect, I should have just taken the lane (tired legs and all) because by the time the driver went past me, I'm like "I'm gonna miss my turn, come on and pass me already!"

    And then there was a moment of confusion at a stop sign. With me and 2 cars arriving simultaneously.

    And I'm pretty sure I could've avoided all this if I would've just been clippin' along at my normal speed. I'm draggin' a beat!

    I hope my legs come back to me soon...
  • 04-28-2015
    Kleebs
    The bridge into downtown is down to one lane in both directions and the cones force cars and bikes into the same lane with not enough room to pass. I sprinted over the bridge in the morning yesterday but just wasn't feeling it on the way home so I took the detour down into the valley and then the short steep climb back out instead. I don't mind some climbing and it avoided some potential issues on the bridge.

    Hurt my knee during my Monday roller hockey game last night. I'm still trying to skate (and stop) as though I'm on ice and I think I strained my LCL. Or perhaps its just good old fashion soreness and I'm being a huge wimp. I'll give it a few days to heal up and ease back in. Unfortunately that means I'll come up short on my mileage goal for this month. I'll have to make up for it next month.
  • 04-28-2015
    BrianMc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Huh? Gel? 10-20 (what) low. MPH? Degrees? I could not decipher this post at all. :D

    Sorry I got a bit brief. The HR seemed 10-20 low for how much effort I felt. The Gamin heart straps apparently can be a bit finicky compared to the ones I have used before. Lack of sweat could be part of it, but a good amount of tap water always worked to get other brands started before. I had no measurable pulse and decided I was not quite dead yet so re-wet and repositioned the strap. It then said I had a pulse of ___ or 60 or 72. I wet it again and shifted it but the best it gave was 130 just to 60% when it felt more like 75+%. Also the grade report was crap. Also when it ran out of power it did not save the current file. I can work with it but it is not wowing me any.
  • 04-28-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Woodway, great pics!

    I had a big ol' diesel truck peek out from a driveway in front of me this morning...I swear the lady driving made eye contact with me, but apparently misjudged my speed and went ahead and pulled out (turning right, so jumping on the road going the same direction as me). She would have made it with just slightly brake-checking me, but then out from behind the bushes appears the big double axle car hauler flatbed trailer she was pulling. I had to grab a fist full of brakes...she realized what she had done and got all over the gas to get out of the way faster, which produced a nice giant cloud of black diesel smoke, which basically hid the trailer from my view, so I had to slow way down to make sure I didn't clip the rear of it. That made me a little grumpy for the rest of the commute. Probably an honest mistake though....

    Around here, a lady like that in a big diesel who's that comfortable pulling a trailer...she's probably got a weapon. Better just to let it go :lol:

    I actually caught up to her at the only stop light on my commute, maybe 1/2 mile later. She was going straight and I was going left. I pulled up next to her window and didn't even look. I was hoping for an apology, and was ready to turn and accept it, but she didn't acknowledge my presence.
  • 04-28-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AthleticAL View Post
    Nice! If I could score those in an 11, I would...

    If you wear an 11, you might want a 11.5. Amazon didn't have a 10, but the reviews all said order a half size up, and suddenly I was in business. I see Amazon has more in stock now. I'm tempted to snag another pair, but I'll probably end up waiting to see what kind of deal I can get next time.
  • 04-28-2015
    foxtrot7
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    A good ride this AM. A bit sprinkly in the valley. Dry in town. Warm - in the low 40s. Getting almost to where I will start wearing shorts in the mornings as well as the afternoons. For some reason 42 in the AM feels colder than it does in the PM. Lack of sun and the humidity in the air, I guess. Legs still feel a touch dead, but it's okay.

    Yesterday afternoon was a good ride. Sunny and warm. But no wind in the valley, which is a rarity. I like it. As of today I am on pace to hit 530 miles for the month. I'm not sure that I'll be able to go much beyond that, but I'm happy with it. If I do, I'll be at 1663 miles for the year. I'll have to bump up the mileage a bit to hit 8K this year, but that shouldn't be too hard with the summer riding season fast approaching - Heck, I know I'll be starting May with a 45 mile or more day, so there's that.

    Geez anything under 65 is cold for me. And you are talking of shorts. Here I am lamenting the fact that this is probably the last day of cool riding (mid 80s) Tomorrow brings on the 90s and next week we are looking at triple digits. I'll take this over snow anyday though. And since it rains only twice a year I can be a fair-weather commuter and still be hardcore.
  • 04-28-2015
    bedwards1000
    ^^ 38F here this morning, I was in shorts. As long as the core is warm.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Sorry I got a bit brief. The HR seemed 10-20 low for how much effort I felt. The Gamin heart straps apparently can be a bit finicky compared to the ones I have used before. Lack of sweat could be part of it, but a good amount of tap water always worked to get other brands started before. I had no measurable pulse and decided I was not quite dead yet so re-wet and repositioned the strap. It then said I had a pulse of ___ or 60 or 72. I wet it again and shifted it but the best it gave was 130 just to 60% when it felt more like 75+%. Also the grade report was crap. Also when it ran out of power it did not save the current file. I can work with it but it is not wowing me any.

    Oh, heart-rate, it all makes sense now. I don't have much luck with the garmin style straps so I never use them. They slip down and record wrong. I don't have any issues with displayed grade or battery life on my 500. I did a 8 1/2 hour ride last weekend with no issues saving.
  • 04-28-2015
    blockphi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^ 38F here this morning, I was in shorts. As long as the core is warm.


    Generally I agree. However, due to the wait for the bus after the first leg of the bike, I've found that I generally need to dress a touch warmer than I normally prefer. I suppose I could bring pants to slip on while I wait...

    My cut off is normally 35F, but only in the sun.
  • 04-28-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    Afternoon commute was cancelled. Our car broke down while my wife was driving it. I usually don't mind only having one car, but things get tricky at times like these. I had to hitch a ride with a co-worker, who drove my wife to the appointment she was going to. Then I had to call a tow truck, get towed to the mechanic, and walk home. When I got home, I hitched a ride with the person watching our kid to get my bike and stuff. I just threw it into her van. Tomorrow will hopefully be a little better day, although I'm bracing for the repair estimate on our car. The mechanic suspects the timing belt, which isn't such great news for my wallet.
  • 04-28-2015
    AthleticAL
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Afternoon commute was cancelled. Our car broke down while my wife was driving it. I usually don't mind only having one car, but things get tricky at times like these. I had to hitch a ride with a co-worker, who drove my wife to the appointment she was going to. Then I had to call a tow truck, get towed to the mechanic, and walk home. When I got home, I hitched a ride with the person watching our kid to get my bike and stuff. I just threw it into her van. Tomorrow will hopefully be a little better day, although I'm bracing for the repair estimate on our car. The mechanic suspects the timing belt, which isn't such great news for my wallet.

    Oof! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, if it's a broken timing belt, it's not a so-called "interference" engine where the pistons bend the valves if the belt snaps.
  • 04-28-2015
    mtbxplorer
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Yesterday was a spectacular day so I just had to take the long way home. Rather than go north around Lake Washington I went South and crossed the Lake on the I-90 floating bridge. You can see the bike path on the left side of the bridge in the photo below.



    That's not a floating bridge - this is a floating bridge!
    Vermont replaces state's only floating bridge
  • 04-28-2015
    TenSpeed
    Great ride in. Sunny and upper 50's and 0 complaints. Back on MapMyRide and it works flawlessly. Not sure what is up with Strava so I am not using it. Had a pedestrian at the light tell me "nice bike......did you steal it?" I replied back "HELL NO!!!!" I don't know if she was joking or serious but I found it to be rather strange. Ride home was brisk but pleasant. Hit the main road all the way down to the store to pick up a few things. Makes me nervous as the speed limit gradually increases on that road the further east you go. From 25mph in increments of 5 up to 45mph. This late at night the traffic on it is sparse so I am alright with taking the right lane and putting myself out there. From work to the store is just a hair over 6 miles. I averaged 19.7mph for that portion of the ride. I am not mad about that at all.
  • 04-28-2015
    rodar y rodar
    More nice weather on the way. We`ve gotten a few yuck days in the pat few weeks, but somehow they continue to fall during the week, leaving weekends very nice.

    It isn`t easy to come up with a picture of an interstate that makes you think "Boy, what a nice place to take a ride", but I think Woodway and Seattle managed to pull it off!

    Sucks about your car, sOck. Sure hope it doesn`t kill off your vacation plans.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I was hoping for an apology, and was ready to turn and accept it, but she didn't acknowledge my presence.

    That`s allright. Since circumstances suggest she was "packing", better off to be ignored!
  • 04-29-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Sucks about your car, sOck. Sure hope it doesn`t kill off your vacation plans.

    Nope. We're flying out one way or another. The good news is that my wife's appointment confirmed there was nothing wrong with her, which is way more important than our car.

    We've had great weather all week. It has been in the mid-40s with clear skies in the morning, mid-60s in the afternoon. There is a chance of rain tomorrow, but it should be spotty. I took the singlespeed in today because it fits in my car a little better (bike rack was at home when the car broke down). I am planning on riding to the mechanic and driving the car home.
  • 04-29-2015
    AlexCuse
    Perfect morning ride in. Had to stop and get a picture of this farm - its one of my favorite things to see but I have never felt compelled to take a picture of it before.

    Need to help some new wheels settle in before a long ride Saturday so I got to ride my dream bike in too :)

  • 04-29-2015
    bedwards1000
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    That's not a floating bridge - this is a floating bridge!

    Looks like a semi-floating bridge to me.

    Weather has been pretty blah here lately. It's looking real nice for next week but I'll be in the DR for some R&R so I don't care.
  • 04-29-2015
    Kleebs
    Knee felt better this morning so I rode in. Mid 40s and sunny with no wind made an outstanding ride to work. Supposed to push 60 for the ride home. I will probably add a few miles to help make up for yesterday.
  • 04-29-2015
    blockphi
    Interesting ride home last night. Sunny and 52 in Anchorage. Get to the valley and? Rain with lightning and thunder (rare in this part of AK) and...sleet, snow, and a few bits of hail. Good times. I could feel when I passed through masses of cold air - the temps would drop instantly from the 50s down to the upper 30s then jump back up a quarter mile later.

    This AM was fine. A bit rainy in Anchorage, but looks like it will clear off here real soon.

    Anyone tried the ISM Adamo (Peak — ISM) saddles? Thinking it might be a good choice for me, but not sure. Kinda expensive if I end up not liking it.
  • 04-29-2015
    newfangled
    Anyone seen this?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=282&v=MFzDaBzBlL0

    As much as this might be related to neuroplasticity and musclememory, I think the fact that you have to countersteer bikes (even if you don't realize you're doing it) would make this doubly hard. And there's also that twitchy super-short stem.

    Almost 80F for the ride home yesterday, but back down in the 50s today with a threat of rain.

    And since Kleebs was mentioning knee pain, I put one of those newfangled oval chainrings on one of my bikes a month ago, and I've noticed that I'm starting to really feel my right knee. It's not actual pain, but it's something I'll need to pay attention to. It could certainly just be coincidence, and what I'm feeling might just be caused by the switch from winter to summer riding. (since theoretically the new rings have fixed the issues that biopace had)
  • 04-29-2015
    jeffscott
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    And since Kleebs was mentioning knee pain, I put one of those newfangled oval chainrings on one of my bikes a month ago, and I've noticed that I'm starting to really feel my right knee. It's not actual pain, but it's something I'll need to pay attention to. It could certainly just be coincidence, and what I'm feeling might just be caused by the switch from winter to summer riding. (since theoretically the new rings have fixed the issues that biopace had)

    Check you seat height it might have slipped down.

    Never noticed anything switching to or from oval or biopace rings....except you can pedal a higher gear.
  • 04-29-2015
    z1r
    I was listening to that story of the backward bike on NPR when driving home from a conference in Vail last week. I'd be pissed if I spent 8 months learning to ride it and then couldn't ride a "normal" bike, lol. I think it is amazing that a child can learn in 2 weeks what it took an adult 8 months to accomplish!

    That said, because I've been on the road the better part of two weeks I only managed one ride (in Vail) during that time.

    Finally rode in to work today and though my legs felt like cold silly putty I was rewarded by the shout of "great pace" as I was passed (slowly) by a guy this morning.

    Having been down the biopace road before, I am content with round rings. I have heard some folks complain about their oval rings. Beyond that, I can't comment except to say, listen to your body.

    With regards to knees, I'd been experiencing some mild discomfort for lack of better explanation (not really pain). So, about 2 months ago I bought a huge bottle of glucosamine tablets from Costco. I take one or two a day and my knees have been feeling much better.

    Anyway, it was great to be back on the bike enjoying the sights and sounds along the river.
  • 04-29-2015
    NDD
    Anyone here know anything about transporting a bike on Greyhound buses? That's the most cost effective way for me to get from stl to Vermont come June. And I won't have access to a vehicle to drive me and my bike up. I guess I could just walk everywhere up there. Really would like to have the bike for transport though.
  • 04-29-2015
    CommuterBoy
    1 Attachment(s)
    This is a floating bridge:

    Attachment 984859
  • 04-29-2015
    Rustedthrough
    My wife lent out her pickup and borrowed my car today, I still don't understand the mechanics of this trade. So I drove in with the Unit on the rack and rode it home. Single speed and knobbies, with all the usual stuff in the trunk bag, just to see if I could.

    I didn't set any speed records, not that I'm ever in much danger of that, but it was a pleasant ride and I didn't have to walk any of the sections I was expecting to. 16 miles in 1 hour 47 minutes, with a stiff headwind. Going to need some different handlebars if I make a habit of riding that one to work.
  • 04-29-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    This morning was good. A little wet from rain last night, but nothing bad. No commute home tonight. My wife had a bad allergic reaction to something, we don't know what. Drove my work truck home and immediately jumped in the van to take her to the hospital. After some steroids, she's doing much better.
  • 04-29-2015
    BrianMc
    ^ Scary, Texan. All's well that end's well I hope.
  • 04-29-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Anyone here know anything about transporting a bike on Greyhound buses? That's the most cost effective way for me to get from stl to Vermont come June. And I won't have access to a vehicle to drive me and my bike up. I guess I could just walk everywhere up there. Really would like to have the bike for transport though.

    You will want a bike, there aren't too many places where walking is enough, even in VT's biggest city it will be handy. Last time I took a bike on Greyhound, they let you roll it loose into the luggage compartment if there is enough room, at your own risk of course, mine was fine, but that was long ago! Check their website or call, but you might be able to do that or maybe box it for the bus (or ship it). Or you could buy, beg, or borrow one when you get here. PM your location and height/size and ETA if you want me to sniff around.
  • 04-29-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Good rides today, milder, 40's and 50's F, and best of all, the bike rack at work was FULL when I got there (about 6 bikes). I doubled up with a co-worker's bike to share a station. On the was home some drunken dope on the side of the road (waiting for the bus??) yelled BEEP BEEP continuously and made honking motions as I passed, and a Toyota pickup floored it for make-you-jump sound effects as he passed. Sigh.
  • 04-29-2015
    woodway
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    That's not a floating bridge - this is a floating bridge!

    I don't know if that's such a good example mtbx! :)

    The predecessor to this bridge did not float so well. When the current one was under construction the original one (which was being refurbished) broke up in a storm and sank. This state has had it's problems with bridges over the years...

    https://youtu.be/gm0YQ3vuyyY
  • 04-29-2015
    rodar y rodar
    We ought to put up some floating bridges around here. The only problem is that we don`t have anything to float them on. At least they wouldn`t sink :lol:

    Bedwards, I take it DR is Dominican Republic? Going back to the same place you went to last time?

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Nope. We're flying out one way or another. The good news is that my wife's appointment confirmed there was nothing wrong with her, which is way more important than our car.

    Yeah, more important for sure. I don`t remember you mentioning there might have been something wrong, but glad she`s okay. Glad Texan`s wife is doing better, too.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    I was listening to that story of the backward bike on NPR when driving home from a conference in Vail last week.

    Science Friday! I heard that interview too! Then had to dig up the guy`s videos. Some were really dumb, but others were killer. I really liked the cat flipping one and the helium balloon in the van experiment. Mosquito V Penis was a disappointment.
  • 04-30-2015
    bedwards1000
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Bedwards, I take it DR is Dominican Republic? Going back to the same place you went to last time?

    Nope, last time was Puerto Plata, this time it is Punta Cana. Pretty much the same result though, beaches and booze. My sore shoulder and ribs may keep my activity level down. I was able to find some bikes there last time. So far my searches have come up with "It's Complicated" here.

    Commutes have been good. Weather is in a rut here. 40F mornings, 50F afternoons with a chance of showers. Not much else to report.
  • 04-30-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Yeah, more important for sure. I don`t remember you mentioning there might have been something wrong, but glad she`s okay.

    Maybe I didn't mention it. She was on her way to a doctor's appointment when the car broke down. The appointment was just a precaution. Luckily, she's fine.

    Last night our electricity went out in one part of the house (again). These problems keep piling up. I'll flip the breaker and not worry about the electricity until we get back. We replaced a GFCI plug last time, and that worked for a while. I think there is some funky stuff going on in one of our junction boxes. Anyway...life stuff.

    I'm enjoying riding the singlespeed again. I had given it up because of some back muscle issues, but now that those are mostly resolved, I need to ride the SS more. I feel like I have gotten weaker on the geared bike.
  • 04-30-2015
    AthleticAL
    Went for a nice on-roader with my wife yesterday (she doesn't do off-roaders), and we enjoyed a really nice ride, albeit just a little cool when going into the wind or down a good hill since we were dressed maybe a tad optimistically. AND I found some beckoning off-road trails as we journeyed. Nothing to get too amped up about, but any new (to me) trail that winds around down by the river is fun for me to explore.

    The early morning commute had an unusual twist today: a co-worker came upon me as I was semi-leisurely making my way. I just about jumped off my bike when he called my name in the pitch darkness! I'm trying to ride and recover my legs at the same time, but every day something comes up that indicates to me just how difficult that can be. I had to pick up the pace when my co-worker came upon me. HAD to. There was only a mile left at that point anyways.
  • 04-30-2015
    blockphi
    A decent ride in this AM. Getting lighter and lighter in the mornings. I like it. Almost to the point where I won't need a headlight any more. Though this morning it served me well by causing a moose's eyes to shine, alerting me to his presence. Wouldn't have noticed him otherwise. Just standing on the side of the road. Could've pet him as I passed. Fun times.

    As of this AM's commute: 92.2 miles for the week, 538.4 miles for the month, and 1673.15 miles for the year.

    I'll put a minimum of ten more on tonight for the ride home, so a good month overall. May should be even better.
  • 04-30-2015
    newfangled
    Yesterday I was complaining about niggling knee issues. Today I got out the foam roller, and I would swear that thing it is like having a magic reset button. I'd put it away a few months ago and fallen out of the habit of using it, but it is so amazing.

    Stupid annoying bb creak on my ride in this morning. I've removed and regreased everything else over the last week, so I guess it's finally time to pull the bb.
  • 04-30-2015
    woodway
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    On the was home some drunken dope on the side of the road (waiting for the bus??) yelled BEEP BEEP continuously and made honking motions as I passed, and a Toyota pickup floored it for make-you-jump sound effects as he passed. Sigh.

    I am passed by a lifted white Dodge diesel pickup once or twice a week on the commute home. He loves to hammer it and blow black diesel exhaust on me when he passes. Asshat. Sigh.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    A decent ride in this AM. Getting lighter and lighter in the mornings. I like it. Almost to the point where I won't need a headlight any more. Though this morning it served me well by causing a moose's eyes to shine, alerting me to his presence. Wouldn't have noticed him otherwise. Just standing on the side of the road. Could've pet him as I passed. Fun times.

    I switched from my white headlight to my amber daytime running light this past Tuesday. Four months of riding both ways in the daylight! Of course I don't have to worry about running into a moose on my commute...
  • 04-30-2015
    BrianMc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    A decent ride in this AM. Getting lighter and lighter in the mornings. I like it. Almost to the point where I won't need a headlight any more. Though this morning it served me well by causing a moose's eyes to shine, alerting me to his presence. Wouldn't have noticed him otherwise. Just standing on the side of the road. Could've pet him as I passed. Fun times.

    Moose: "A human on one of the things they ride, shone light in my eyes this morning. He looked like he might try to pet me, so I looked at him like I might stomp him. Fun times." :thumbsup:
  • 04-30-2015
    foxtrot7
    Had a good ride on Tuesday. My average speed was up to 11Mph. Yesterday morning was a little rough. The trail was really chunky. It rained all weekend then the horse riders came out to play and left loads of hoof holes everywhere. The ride home I heard some creaking and popping from my rear. Got the bike home and realized most of my spokes were so loose you could just wiggle them around with fingertips. Disappointing I could not ride today. Guess the big box store bike wasn't cut out for 220+ lb me and 20lbs of gear in panniers for 16 miles a day on a trail.

    Good news is as of Tuesday, I am officially no longer a clyde. Gonna read up on truing/wheelbuilding while waiting for my truing stand to arrive.
  • 04-30-2015
    mtbxplorer
    A few jerks today and one oblivious guy who cut me off as he left a gas station, a classic "I didn't see her in that heinous fluorescent green jacket and helmet and blinking lights" situation. But with about 4 hours in the car for fieldwork today, I was glad to ride before and after.
  • 04-30-2015
    Rustedthrough
    Great commute today. Last exam of the semester, so I met up with a few peers from the program for a pint on the way home. Beat them there by a few minutes, there really is a first time for everything.
  • 04-30-2015
    TenSpeed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I am passed by a lifted white Dodge diesel pickup once or twice a week on the commute home. He loves to hammer it and blow black diesel exhaust on me when he passes. Asshat. Sigh.

    It is called rolling coal and it is one the dumbest things I have ever heard of or seen. Cyclists, Prius owners and pedestrians are the biggest targets. Then when they can't find any of those, they target white cars. I had a guy try to roll on me in my Mustang. I simply was not having it. Not at all.

    Commutes today were absolutely wonderful. Played leap frog with the bus and every time I get in this situation, I get pissed off. They pass me as I enter the bike lane at a fork in the road. Two lanes headed west bound, one really nice bike lane. There are 4 bus stops within a mile period or less, with 2 lights. The bus stops in the right lane, and then the sea of people enter and exit the bus, causing all sorts of uncertainty. I always take the lane and pass causing me to do a double lane change essentially. I am traveling at traffics speed so that is a non issue. Then the bus blows by me as we pass the second light and the speed limit increases. Almost every day. I need to see if I can time it just right to where I am either ahead of the bus or behind it, not leap frogging it.

    Somehow finagled a three day weekend on one of the nicest days of the year. Still not sure how I managed that today but I got Friday off. Big group ride for a picnic and just fun because the forecast is for 71F and sunny. Going to try to ride with the group at a slow city pace, as they call it. 11-12mph and a casual demeanor. It's hard for me, hard because the bike wants to go fast. That sounds cheesy as hell, but it really does. I have a hard time just putting along at those speeds. I usually ride up front and cork for the group, then after they all pass, blast back up to the front for the next intersection. This is like a critical mass style ride, without so many people, and without cyclist/driver altercations.
  • 05-01-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    No commute for me this morning. I hit the sack last night around 8, just not feeling well. Woke up this morning, and thought nothing of it, got out of the shower, and started getting ready when it all came back. Stomach pains, headache, dizziness. Nothing I can't tough through for a work day, but definitely not something I want to experience while pedaling.
  • 05-01-2015
    bedwards1000
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by foxtrot7 View Post
    Good news is as of Tuesday, I am officially no longer a clyde. Gonna read up on truing/wheelbuilding while waiting for my truing stand to arrive.

    Congrats on that! Is that under 220 or under 200? I think the definition is a little loose.

    I had somebody turn directly in front of me yesterday. I just held my course in the most threatening way that you can on a 20lb bike. I bet he was scared that I was going to hit him! Probably not.

    Last commuting day before VACA! Pretty much a duplicate of the day before and the day before that and the day before that and the day before that.
  • 05-01-2015
    biker_soldier101
    1 Attachment(s)
    This happened.
  • 05-01-2015
    bedwards1000
    ^^I've had the same. It makes your tube look like a woodpecker attacked it on both sides.
  • 05-01-2015
    blockphi
    Official numbers for April:
    Month - 550.9
    Year to date: 1685.65

    Not too shabby. Though my legs were feeling it a bit this morning.

    Other than that, standard commute. Good times.
  • 05-01-2015
    NDD
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Official numbers for April:
    Month - 550.9
    Year to date: 1685.65

    Not too shabby. Though my legs were feeling it a bit this morning.

    Other than that, standard commute. Good times.

    Dang, I'm at just over 800 for the year. A bit behind where I'd like to be but dang have I been busy. It'll be ok. I'll make up for it after I graduate next week and can't have busy as my excuse.
  • 05-01-2015
    foxtrot7
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Congrats on that! Is that under 220 or under 200? I think the definition is a little loose.

    Thanks. Under 200. I was 230 beginning January.