Page 342 of 631 FirstFirst ... 242 292 332 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 352 392 442 ... LastLast
Results 8,526 to 8,550 of 15771
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm a bit rusty after working only 5 days in the past 3 weeks. I forget that my commute isn't as easy as I think it is. I was struggling a bit on the way in. The cool temps (26F) and a mild, but consistent, headwind didn't help. I'm looking forward to getting back in shape so my commute will be a piece of cake again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    First commute under 30 degrees F. Also first time seeing ice on the road in AZ when biking. Brisk, but still fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Cool - I commented on your running of stops -
    I know it's different every-time, but I thought I would have tried to tell the kid to ride on the right & maybe explain why if he was to listen, It's weird educating people,
    - I get it; especially children - you'll get someone going, "he was trying to rape my boy!!"
    *** Salmoning: Lead by example, I guess. Be predictable. I had a car following me, first blocked by oncoming traffic, then not daring to pass between us on the corners. I was up to 20 mph so not too bad. The light is a demand light with cars stopped so it was about to change and did promptly. Safety first. The motorist was patient and took a left just after the video ends.

*** This is not the way I rode until I came here. Running stops is a local tradition by most drivers. I have been nearly rear-ended when driving and I actually stop. I stop for all red lights on the bike. Obeying the rules at 4-way stops just confuses the drivers who run the stops themselves. Two officers have witnessed me doing this and have not had a chat with me about it. But you can't be day dreaming. You must check and be ready to stop.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    highdell...
    I was in Redding this weekend. I saw some guys playing disc golf. I thought of you. The end.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by hah72215 View Post
    First commute under 30 degrees F. Also first time seeing ice on the road in AZ when biking. Brisk, but still fun.
    Congrats on the milestone. Was that in Tempe? I know the AZ mountains get plenty of cold and snow, but didn`t think the Phoenix area ever froze. That just doesn`t seem fair after what you guys have to put up with in the summer.

Sanath, paying the shop now and again for a spoke isn`t the end of the world, but don`t be put off by all the comotion lately about spoke tensions if you have standard (32 or more spokes) wheels. It isn`t really THAT big an issue, and the pluck to tune method works just fine. If you have any interest in learning to do it for yourself, go for it. Besides, a little prior experience at it just might save your butt out on the trail or roadside someday.
    Recalculating....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Only commuted two days last week and then flew down to Las Vegas and attended the Consumer Electronics Show. Between meetings I checked out the various exhibit halls which are absolutely mind-blowing with all the technology and marketing hype. Paid extra attention to the cycling related technology...had fun in the GoPro booth, in fact saw many companies marketing sports-related camera systems (including one with a harness for your dog). Saw some electric bikes, and of course a lot of fitness-based technology.

The wife also came down and we stayed the weekend. Was able to get some mountain biking in:

Commute today was downright mundane, cloudy, no rain about 28F when I left the house.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Sanath, paying the shop now and again for a spoke isn`t the end of the world, but don`t be put off by all the comotion lately about spoke tensions if you have standard (32 or more spokes) wheels. It isn`t really THAT big an issue, and the pluck to tune method works just fine. If you have any interest in learning to do it for yourself, go for it. Besides, a little prior experience at it just might save your butt out on the trail or roadside someday.
    There's commotion about spoke tension these days? I've replaced whole rims by taping every spoke where it crosses and removing all the nipples. Put the new rim on, snug all the spokes tight and then true it using the brake calipers. I use the "That seems and sounds about right" tension method.

I also never buy just 1 spoke if I break one. If I'd stop buying bikes eventually I'll have replacements for all of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I tried to true a wheel myself once, never was able to get the hang of it or get it true enough that I was happy with it. I'm a perfectionist with anything I work on myself, which is why I just pay somebody else to true my wheels and don't look at them too closely. Eventually I'll have to make the jump to figure out how to do it, but not until I've got a wheel I don't mind having torn apart for 6 weeks or so, tensioned and retensioned over and over again until it's straight enough that I'm happy.

Besides, it's 10 miles home and less than 3 to the bike shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Congrats on the milestone. Was that in Tempe? I know the AZ mountains get plenty of cold and snow, but didn`t think the Phoenix area ever froze. That just doesn`t seem fair after what you guys have to put up with in the summer.
    Yeah, Tempe. Just an abnormally cold week. We should be back in the 90's in a couple months though so not complaining.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    note to self, and whomever may be interested: wear gloves if the temperature is suppose to sit around freezing.

mtbr member
    A great ride home. 3" of super fluffy new powder, temperatures a little above freezing, thick cloud cover to bounce around a lot of light, and I saw two coyotes. They were maybe 100m away from the park where our NHL team staged a PR stunt game of pond hockey yesterday.

As I was about 50' from them I realized I was glad that they don't react to bikes the way my dog does. My puppy is generally okay with bikes, until you stick a headlight on them (either blinky or solid) which jumps them up to #2 on her most hated list. But the coyotes just trotted away.

mtbr member
    Found a wire almost broken in the accident just before the ride was now broken. Quick but poor fix to ride sooner rather than later. The 26 wind chill sans bike wind was a face full after Sat's 63 F. After a mile or so the face was warm or numb, so no problem. New meaning to icy countenance, I guess. A granite face. A stone cold look. Not scared but petrified? Not sedentary, but sedimentary? Not just morphed, but metamorphic? Not ignoble but igneous? Obviously the drop in temp was pun-ishing.

The iBike's heart strap does not make dogs crazy (ultrasonics?) like the old Sigma one was suspected of, and now proven to have been. That got me bitten when I visited one of my neighbors. Nice feature. Know your heart rate on this charcoal on gray, almost unreadable interface and piss off all the dogs you meet. Four years use, but I'm glad it died.

BrianMc

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Saw a coyote! I'd seen one before when riding my motorcycle in Yosemite, but this was the first time I've seen one in Washington.

weirdo
    I tried to remind myself this afternoon to pack my long johns when I left for work. Not only did I end up forgetting my long johns, I also forgot my helmet and my reflective vest.

Great weekend, Woodway! What was the weather like down there? I bet it was a nice break.
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I could have come in an hour later with solid temps around negative 2.
    Good thing you DIDN`T go in later or you wouldn`t have hit a new record. Not for naught

Quote Originally Posted by kdirk View Post
    note to self, and whomever may be interested: wear gloves if the temperature is suppose to sit around freezing.
    Good plan!
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Perfect 25F temps for commuting, and the snowmobile trails were hard and fast after the recent thaw, and down to the dirt in a few places. The studded fatbike tires earned their keep on the icy sections. My feeder trails and shortcut where no snomachines go were not great, pretty bumpy from old tracks, and too soft in spots - I should have re-groomed them when the weather was warm.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I Ride for Donuts
    2 degrees ABOVE zero this morning. Heat wave.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    I tried to remind myself this afternoon to pack my long johns when I left for work. Not only did I end up forgetting my long johns, I also forgot my helmet and my reflective vest.
    At least you remembered the bike. The change in schedule must be throwing you off. I know when I have a change in my routine, I am more likely to forget stuff, like when I drive and bring stuff to ride home, or when the temp is super cold and I'm too focused on what to wear for the ride rather than what I need when I get there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    2 degrees ABOVE zero this morning. Heat wave.
    7deg above 0C this morning. Which actually is a heat wave (45F).

mtbr member
    A great ride this morning. After our warm up yesterday it dropped down below freezing overnight and firmed the trails up nicely. There is one area of overflow that was so slick I had to walk it, but other than that, both the roads and the trails were surprisingly good for riding. It helps that much of the trail I ride was groomed for the skiers just before the melt down so things packed down nicely and set up well.

The roads still had some slick spots, but even without studs I was able to make good time and remain upright. Good times.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    Saw a coyote! I'd seen one before when riding my motorcycle in Yosemite, but this was the first time I've seen one in Washington.
    Just come over to my house hunter...they run through my yard almost daily. Back when my wife was keeping chickens they would come around and snatch a chicken when we were not watching. Last year I startled one on the Sammamish River trail - it was standing on that section of trail in front of the apartments south of the ballfields and I chased it down the trail for about 50 yards until it cleared the apartments and was able to dart off to the side.

Great weekend, Woodway! What was the weather like down there? I bet it was a nice break.
    It was in the 50's for the first couple of days, but then over the weekend the temps went down into the 20's overnight and mid-30'd during the day. The sun felt good though! We seem to have brought the weather back with us to Seattle as the temps are going down into the 20's at night and mid-30's during the day...oh and the sun is shining!

mtbr member
    Whoa....ice is slippery. Had a couple of close calls this morning. I was tearing down a snowmobile trail that was hard and crusty....and fast, when I came upon the bridge that is about 1.5 snowmobiles wide, 10 feet off the rushing rocky water, and also seems to be water tight because there was about three inches of water ice on the bridge....I walked it. Not a fall worth taking, not like anyone was watching anyway.

Awesome thing said on the way in. I ride through a school zone, the kids love the fat bike. Today I passed two walking that I passed yesterday. One asked if I was riding to work, I said yeah, and he punched the other kid saying "told ya so".

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Melted my favorite gaiter with a hair dryer this morning trying to dry it out all speedy-like. Fah.

That spoke turned out to be expensive at my LBS. $23.something to fix it. Looked like $20 in labor + $2 spoke + tax as it went into the register.

mtbr member
    That sounds about right, really. Especially if you rode it that way afterward, I bet it was pretty outa whack. You'd pay 10 just to get a true, so I think that sounds ok.

mtbr member

Y'know, eyelashes freeze...

when the temp. is hovering around -4F.

Coldest commute for me, ever. Funny thing though, my co-workers weren't incredulous about me riding in sub-zero temps, but that I carry my bike up a flight of stairs when I get here. WTH?!

Roads were clear, sky was icy blue, wind was absent so with the exception of the cold, was a nice ride to work.

mtbr member
    Fitness coming back. Hit HR 173 on sprint up hill before my cool down. Up from 165. Coldest I've worn booties and SiDis. I usually ditch them at 40 F. Slightly cool toes but no bad. Humidity up so 36 felt colder in terms of sucking the heat out of you. Still slightly faster than a hibernating spotted salamander.

BrianMc