Page 342 of 420 FirstFirst ... 242292332338339340341342343344345346352392 ... LastLast
Results 17,051 to 17,100 of 20998
    Bedwards Of The West
    Haha. But did you see yesterday's death star ride?? Stay on target....stay on target...

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 12.43.59 PM.png
Views: 149
Size:  22.6 KB

Must be so weird looking out at the lake and thinking that you were out there somewhere on top of it last week. Good job not losing a bike to the depths as it started to break up
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

NDD
    Baby boy
    Haven't posted in a while. They changed the mobile view for the forums I guess... More ads.

Commutes have been pleasant. Been taking the mtb all week. With the strong winds, I like my gears. Yep. Pretty boring here.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Haha. But did you see yesterday's death star ride?? Stay on target....stay on target...
    Nice! I've got to go try my own deathstar ride. I'm moving a little slow after an unintended meeting with the ground on Monday. More on that shortly, gotta go race some rain.

CB of the East
    OK, I'll see your deathstar ride and raise you 0.6mph.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Size:  11.9 KB

Moderator Moderator
    Dang cold (30somethingF) on the way in and dang wet (water flowing down or across or sitting in the road, depending on the grades and pavement quality) on the way home. Nearly wiped out just walking across my icy deck this morning. Rivers are rising, but we hope they don't get to flood stage. My lawn is down to only about 1/4 snow covered!

Descending the 1/2 mile potholed hill from work, I rode conservatively slow but took the lane due to the twin streams running down the road and all the potholes. At the bottom there is a light and I stopped, then turned to give the thumbs up to the following motorist who had given me plenty of room on the descent so I did not feel crowded/endangered in the slick conditions- but there was no following motorist, which accounts for the extraordinary courtesy! It is almost unheard of for someone not to catch up with you despite the 25 mph speed limit, but I had left work late.

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats to RollingRunner, I saw you listed in State o' Maine Boston Marathon finishers, with a sub-4 time!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    Nice! By the way, is that a Smoothie ES?

'Cross bike again. I averaged, like, 54 miles per hour or something Rodar.
    Meh, with the Nashrocket AND a DeathStar tailwind, you should have averaged like 56 on the flats. Or were you riding up Janesville Grade at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    At the bottom there is a light and I stopped, then turned to give the thumbs up to the following motorist who had given me plenty of room on the descent so I did not feel crowded/endangered in the slick conditions- but there was no following motorist, which accounts for the extraordinary courtesy!
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    Congrats to RollingRunner, I saw you listed in State o' Maine Boston Marathon finishers, with a sub-4 time!
    She did awesome! Here's a little more of the story.
    The Candid Cyclist: Boston Marathon Chasing 2015

Down near the bottom I describe how I bounced my head off the ground riding on wet trolly tracks. The helmet really saved my head from damage. The sounds of it whacking the ground sticks with me. My shoulder is still pretty sore and I can't put pressure on it in certain directions. I think a hairline collarbone fracture is possible but it's nothing like the full break I had last time. Based on the treatment (none) I'm not bothering with the doctor this time.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Chilly ride on the road bike (shakedown for the 60 miler on Saturday). Not much to report but a much less compliant ride than the ole 2"+ tire bikes.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Back down in the 30s today, but first commute in a while. My wife is in nursing school and has been doing clinical at night the last month+, it has really thrown off my sleep schedule which has thrown off my work and commuting schedule. Last night was her last night doing it though, so I rode in to try and snap myself back into a rhythm. We'll see if it takes.

I'm finally getting the drop bar conversion on my old trek dialed in, really loving that setup.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thank you mtbxplorer! It was really a great day. I loved it. Much love and appreciation to bedwards aka Candid Cyclist for all of his course support and the calamities that went with it. True dedication! (phew)! Yeah, I'm going to ask him to do this again next year. He knows to avoid the trolley tracks now.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    OK, I'll see your deathstar ride and raise you 0.6mph.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Size:  11.9 KB
    Touche'. Nice one! Sorry to hear about the crash, that sounds nasty. Yay for helmets.
    RollingRunner, Nice work! Give me a 100 mile bike ride any day

mtbr member
    The light in the sky - azure? Midnight? Purples and pinks and blacks mixed with the faint band of orange of the sun burning its way up the mountains lets me know that spring is indeed here. The heaviness in my legs disappears when that first ray spikes my eyes and I watch the clouds reflected in the perfect still shimmer of the lagoon freshly released from a winter's stillness.

It was a beautiful morning for a ride. Chilly, but dead calm and clear. The sky was amazing, the water was amazing, the pavement was amazing. It was all just amazing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Today was a good ride, and I needed a good one. I extended my 6 mile commute to 13.2 miles of cruising around town.

My long string of flats had me pretty frustrated with riding. To top it off when I went to re-stock tubes at my LBS they told me my gift card is no good so I had to drop cash on what should have been free. Not sure what I want to do about that, should have had $17 on it.

Felt better after today's ride. Had some decent speed going, was able to stay above 20mph on most of the flats with the CX bike.

CB of the East
    Touche'. Nice one! Sorry to hear about the crash, that sounds nasty. Yay for helmets.
    RollingRunner, Nice work! Give me a 100 mile bike ride any day
    Your deathstar story was an inspiration to push. It was my second fastest ride home Evah!

weirdo
    Way to go, RollingRunner!

I just finished my semi-donation bike project this morning. It`s been a while since I`ve redone a bike, and I was really happy with how this one turned out, so I`m going to hog up some bandwidth for it. The frame and about half the goodies are 92 Schwinn Impact Pro (the bike I`m more or less married to is a 91 version of the same model). Note the BB30 loose ball spindle conversion, hydraulic straddle cantis, super-duper XTR ramping on the BioPace rings, and the state of the art INDEXED thumbies- state of the art, man! Actually, I while I was a little disappointed in a few downgradings that Schwinn threw on there since the previous year, but I sure can`t complain about the condition of the stuff. For mid-level components, it all works very smoothly, and the old single wall rims tensioned up nice and true. Total billable project cost was $86. Sure wish I could have found a pair of Apples for a decent price, but I guess he`ll make due with Kenda Kwests.

EDIT: CB, forgot again to give you a pat on the back for your latest commute story masterpiece. Good stuff, as usual!

EDIT II: The rack on the spider web bike was the first one I ever built. I made it for a Univega Rover that doesn`t exist any more, but it lives eternally on page two or three of the "Post Your Commuter" archive. It slopes back a little bit, but otherwise fit perfectly with no mods.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    Your deathstar story was an inspiration to push. It was my second fastest ride home Evah!
    How was your commute today?-cf4afac9410f7440943a70a7fdcaf7aac9a6adf2ef5d33e47cc94bafdbad2c88.jpg

Edit: Rodar, ^^That can suffice for a reply to your schwinn build also

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    Wasn't really feeling it this morning and was really debating driving in. Ended up riding and I'm glad I did. I'll need the stress relief of a long ride home after this day at work.
    Well, I didn't end up getting the stress relief of a long ride home after a rough day at work. Ended up staying at the office until 9, so I called the wife for a ride home. I couldn't find my rear blinky that morning which would have been fine if I got out of work at a normal time.

No commute yesterday because I took the day off to attend the Ohio Bicycling Summit to represent my local coop. It was a big bike summit at the state house to advocate for some bike safety laws that have recently been introduced, including a statewide 3-ft passing rule and increasing the penalty for hit and run to be at least on par with DUI. It was also a great chance to network with other bike advocates and make some good contacts with the department of transportation, and other regional transportation planning agencies. Well worth giving up the commute!

I was back on the bike this morning and it was pretty uneventful. I took an extended route to work, adding an additional 6-7 miles. It was cold though. 35f and windy.

mtbr member
    We've got heavy thunderstorms pushing their way through this afternoon, to the point where you can't see through the windshield. Wife is hanging out with her mom about a mile away from the office, so I'll probably give her a call.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Wow, I go away for a few days and I come back to exploding Death Stars and bike crashes in the Boston Marathon.

Nice looking restoration job Rodar! The rack is especially cool.

Speaking of Schwinn, if you've got some time to kill I remember reading this article a few months back about the rise and fall of the Schwinn company. I still get nostalgic about the very first bike I saved my own money to purchase - a Schwinn Varsity 10-speed. Looking back now I realize that it was a heavy clunker but at the time all I knew was that it was all mine, earned by delivering about a bizillion newspapers, and I was damn proud of it. Anyway, here is the link, it's an interesting read:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...winn-pt-1-of-2

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    @woodway

Schwinn still lives, albeit with a different name.

There are some fascinating reads about the engineering/production side of Schwinn on Sheldon Brown's website, too.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice project Rodar, it looks in great shape! I need me some of those hydraulic cantis!

How did Bedwards ride so fast after the trolley trax train wreck? Deathstar inspiration or marathon magic?

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cf4afac9410f7440943a70a7fdcaf7aac9a6adf2ef5d33e47cc94bafdbad2c88.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	983207

Edit: Rodar, ^^That can suffice for a reply to your schwinn build also
    ^^ What he said.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Windy, cold, overcast, and miserable. Temps in the upper 30's and just that cold that goes right through your clothes. Mix in the wind, and it sucked. Ride home was alright, cold of course, but no incidents. Warmer weather along with the sun are in the forecast for the weekend, and I work all weekend.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3208/6000

CB of the East
    How did Bedwards ride so fast after the trolley trax train wreck? Deathstar inspiration or marathon magic?
    Tailwind on the last half of the ride is part of it. My commutes are "7" shaped so I never get a headwind or tailwind for the entire ride. The irrational urge to beat CBs average speed on a different ride with different conditions on a different side of the country...??? And I did want to beat the rain.

Yes, good job on the Schwinn Rodar.

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    ...Warmer weather along with the sun are in the forecast for the weekend, and I work all weekend.
    That sounds like 4 good rides to me. The glass is half full

Commutes have been on the cool and raw side of pleasant. 33F and damp this morning. That didn't stop me from riding a few extra miles though, it wasn't raining!

mtbr member
    That Schwinn looks sweet! Ride in this morning was pretty uneventful. Muggy and hot, with no breeze to be had. I've been in a real funk since my accident in November. I really want to get back to where I was, riding 6 days a week, and never thought about asking for a ride. Now, when I wake up, I immediately think of all the excuses not to. I really need to figure something out and shake it because my wife, kids, and waistline can't handle all of this sitting around crap. I know a lot of it is my lack of restful sleep due to the accident, and the pain in my neck and shoulders that won't go away, even after countless visits to the chiro and physical therapist. Once I finally settle with the insurance company, I'll look into steroid injections to see if that won't help.

Borrowed a Selle SMP Plus from a buddy of mine, gonna give that a go on the way home. Let's see how it goes.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    That Schwinn looks sweet! Ride in this morning was pretty uneventful. Muggy and hot, with no breeze to be had. I've been in a real funk since my accident in November. I really want to get back to where I was, riding 6 days a week, and never thought about asking for a ride. Now, when I wake up, I immediately think of all the excuses not to. I really need to figure something out and shake it because my wife, kids, and waistline can't handle all of this sitting around crap. I know a lot of it is my lack of restful sleep due to the accident, and the pain in my neck and shoulders that won't go away, even after countless visits to the chiro and physical therapist. Once I finally settle with the insurance company, I'll look into steroid injections to see if that won't help.

Borrowed a Selle SMP Plus from a buddy of mine, gonna give that a go on the way home. Let's see how it goes.
    I crashed hard on my left shoulder geez 4 years ago....still working it out...

Might want to try a different PT...that is what started working for me after 3 years of not so good results.

mtbr member
    Wish I could, but these guys were secured by my attorney, and I don't have the funds to pay them, or pay a Copay with my health insurance. I also feel like I'm stuck in a rut route wise. Same thing every day. I've tried to mix it up, but after 2 years of the same thing, I've ridden all the routes I could find.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I crashed hard on my left shoulder geez 4 years ago....still working it out...

Might want to try a different PT...that is what started working for me after 3 years of not so good results.
    It can take an awfully long time to heal. A crash in 1982 as a grad student (no PT) took over a decade to get so I could raise that arm over my head, and longer than that to sleep comfortably on that side. So I don't recommend doing nothing. I recently damaged it again sliding off a wet ramp. Doing exercises the doctor specified and making gains. At least I have full movement this time and no longer wince to put on a shirt.

mtbr member
    A decent ride this AM. Feeling a bit sore and slow, but that's okay. Busted my bike shoe today. Not fun. Like wearing flip flops while peddling. Oh well. Just reason to run to the shop and see what they have, eh?

weirdo
    A little bit rainy today. Good.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    It can take an awfully long time to heal. A crash in 1982 as a grad student (no PT) took over a decade to get so I could raise that arm over my head, and longer than that to sleep comfortably on that side.
    Seriously? I know from first hand experience that some injuries never get back to pre-manglement form, but it surprises me that you apparently saw improvement after a decade. I guess that`s good compared to the former option.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    It was a big bike summit at the state house to advocate for some bike safety laws that have recently been introduced, including a statewide 3-ft passing rule and increasing the penalty for hit and run to be at least on par with DUI.
    3 foot laws are nice gestures, but I really like the idea of comming down like a hammer on hit and runs. I hope your bills pass.

Woodway, thanks for the article! It took me over an hour to get through Part 1, and I`m looking forward to reading the second half.
    Recalculating....

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    . Busted my bike shoe today. Not fun. Like wearing flip flops while peddling. Oh well. Just reason to run to the shop and see what they have, eh?
    Been there, done that.

Ride Everything
    Had the trails all to myself:

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

I'd rather be on my bike
    Awesome!!! Ride in was mid 50's and a little sun peeking out here and there. Wind at my back for a change. Seemed to be a fast ride in which is always good. Ride home was into the wind, and the temps had dipped into the low 40's by the time I left. Still managing to dress correctly for the weather. Just starting to sweat a little by the time I got home. The forecast looks clear and a bit warmer for the rest of my work week so I will be on two wheels instead of four. Sunday will have me breaking 1000 miles which is ahead of where I was last year.

Moderator Moderator
    This cycling season is already a deadly one here in VT, and today another cyclist is dead, this time the young driver did not survive either, after his car went out of control on a curve. Such a terrible loss of life. With only 600,000 people in Vermont, this hits us pretty hard. Two killed in bike vs. car crash

No one calls me Maurice.
    We had a tough season last year with two rural highway deaths, a trail death (bike hitting bike) and a Jr High student run over and drug by a drunk driver just to name a few. We're at three or four car v bike incidents this year with no end in sight. It's hard in any community, especially tough in a community where the cyclists are close-knit.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Two close calls from the least expected.......motorcycle riders. I figure that they would be more on the lookout, but that is not how it is apparently. First one was entering a roundabout, where I had the right of way. Motorcycle entered from my left, and had no intention of stopping. I had to brake and veer to the right to let him by. Stupid loud Harley or whatever, so loud that he didn't hear me screaming obscenities at him as he passed by. Second was closer to work, right in front of the police. Cops waiting near a parking lot exit clocking people. Motorcycle is waiting to cross the road that I am traveling on in the bike lane. Traffic ahead of me is moving faster so they clear him first. He just goes right in front of me, right in front of the cop. After I had to brake to slow down, I throw my arms up and yell at him, again, no dice since his loud pipes are saving lives according to them. I looked at the cop and he did nothing. I just shook my head and continued on.

Ride home was very uneventful which is always welcome. Fast ride for me and I forgot to turn Strava on of course. Always next time.

CB of the East
    This cycling season is already a deadly one here in VT, and today another cyclist is dead, this time the young driver did not survive either, after his car went out of control on a curve. Such a terrible loss of life. With only 600,000 people in Vermont, this hits us pretty hard. Two killed in bike vs. car crash
    WOW! You are getting more than your fair share of fatalities. The article said the speed limit was 40. The amount of mangle on that car looked like it was doing double that.

Commute was great! I did a major overhaul on the Cross Check and can feel the difference. Lighter wheels and road tires vs tank like wheels and knobbies made a huge difference. I also upgraded the cockpit to 10-speed STI from bar end shifters. New stem and bars. But the fresh bar tape makes the biggest difference.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Rained for the first ten miles. Dry for the second ten miles. Had to stop and strip a layer off when the rain stopped. Supposed to be sunny and 70s this afternoon. I may take off early and take the long way home.

mtbr member
    Good commute in today. A bit sore. Did a 22 mile ride yesterday with 18 of that being singletrack. Awesome times! I love spring time.How was your commute today?-img_0799.jpg

Of course, today I'm feeling it, but that's okay.

Nothing exciting or dangerous about the commute today. Just same old same old. And that is just fine by me.

Moderator Moderator
    My commute was OK.

WOW! You are getting more than your fair share of fatalities. The article said the speed limit was 40. The amount of mangle on that car looked like it was doing double that.
    You are right, the Chief's guess was 60 mph Police: Driver near 60 mph in fatal crash This is really hitting people hard, Richard Tom was a well known cyclist, and worked at a Burlington area shop for 10 years, and also for a bike touring company. And the driver is such a kid, his photo was in the article too. And on top of the other cyclist killed less than 2 weeks prior. I don't know that I ever met him, but have 2 mutual FB friends.

This was posted at the scene, and I hope some took it to heart..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-richard-tom.jpg  

NDD
    Baby boy
    Good. Great. Terrific. Took the road on the way home. Can't get my rocks off on the mup anymore with all the walkers and leisure cyclists mucking things up.v

mtbr member
    Nice short ride. A bit cool and windy. New Garmin 500 and it looks like I need some gel at these temps and in this wind as I estimate it read 10-20 low and maybe more.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 04-28-2015 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The ride in was cool and breezy here as well. The breeze was mostly at my back, I actually snuck up into the big chain ring for few miles. As near to perfect as any ride so far.

The ride home, had 20 mile an hour sustained headwinds and some impressive gusts, was not nearly as exiting (at least not in a good way). The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Forgot my helmet. First time ever doing that. Put my glasses on, then a head warmer, and then gave my dog a treat. Grabbed the bike and my bag and hit the door. Didn't realize that I forgot it until 3 miles in and I got pretty warm so I was going to take the helmet off while riding no hands (smart right) and quickly take the head warmer off. Reached for the chin strap. Nothing. Stomach dropped. What if? What if a car hit me? What if I fell? Should I stop at the shop and buy a new one? Figured I would be alright and rode in anyway. Was too late to turn around and go back for it. Will have to start doing the pat down now. Keys, phone, gloves, bike, bag, helmet, etc.

Ride was alright, went a slower than usual and was extra careful. Strava is really pissing me off right now on my phone so I am trying MapMyRide again. That at least worked before. Sick of getting home and showing 31 minutes, 0 miles. Thanks for keeping track of the time. How about the miles now?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    On the way home yesterday was a really nice ride - my legs felt great and according to Strava I averaged like 312W for 24 minutes... I am in doubt of this but it gives my ego a MASSIVE boost

I was mixing it up with a guy I see riding the same commute as me regularly. Great fun because you really push each other to go faster, faster, faster! (where possible and in a safe and responsible manner, of course - I want to get home in one piece).

Saw him on the way to work this morning too - as I blew past him drafting this crazy guy wearing way too many clothes on an old hybrid who was cycling way faster than I could ever have imagined an older guy on an old hybrid wearing Arctic conditions training gear could go... I guess I ought to learn that pretty much all older Norwegian guys are machines like this...

This morning I had a altercation with a pedestrian of all things! I was coming up to a four way crossing with the intention to turn right (therefore I was breaking and being super observant - you can't see traffic from the left until you are nearly on the crossing) and saw her in plenty time - I decided that I don't need to brake more - she has good time to clear the crossing (or at least the side of the road I was on) and I could safely pass behind her and there was no traffic coming either. I really mean it - in my opinion she had a lot of time to cross. Instead she stops and stares at me while standing in the middle of the road. I decided to go around her (in front of her because she has stopped in the middle of my lane) when she then proceeds to shout at me calling me all sorts of names because I didn't come to a complete stop and let her cross... I just shook my head and pedalled round her.

I know, I know - in hind sight I could have waved her across - I could have just stopped (she did have right of way). Just one of those things I guess and next time I will be sure to communicate better & make a better judgement call.

We live and learn, huh?

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.
    , Tom Waits

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Nice short ride. A bit cool and windy. New Garmin 510 and it looks like I need some gel at these temps and in this wind as I estimate it read 10-20 low and maybe more.
    Huh? Gel? 10-20 (what) low. MPH? Degrees? I could not decipher this post at all.

So, I fitted my rain bike with gatorskins with ultra-super-duper-extra...flat protection. Then, because I hate changing tires in the rain, I put in a heavy self sealing tube too. Rode to work, fine. Took the long way home and had to stop and pump up the tire 5 times. I was hoping the it might self seal itself. Nope. My last $12 no-flat-protection tires had about 1500 miles on them with nary a flat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I got a new pair of shoes for the commute, some Teva Pinner IIs off Amazon for less than $30. I've been shopping for shoes for a few months and couldn't find anything cheap enough. When the bottom of your foot gets wet from water leaking through the sole, it's time for a change. It was nice actually having some grip again. The Tevas are actually pretty awesome.

This week is my last week of commuting before I head overseas for some time off. I'll try to get in some bike riding when I'm away.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    6 c shorts tee shirt and a light sweater.

Might snow on the weekend.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Yesterday was a spectacular day so I just had to take the long way home. Rather than go north around Lake Washington I went South and crossed the Lake on the I-90 floating bridge. You can see the bike path on the left side of the bridge in the photo below.

While city riding is not nearly as fun as getting out and riding on the dirt, views like this make up for it.

My detour added 14 miles and 1600 feet of climbing but it was so worth it.