Page 341 of 420 FirstFirst ... 241291331337338339340341342343344345351391 ... LastLast
Results 17,001 to 17,050 of 20991
    weirdo
    Afterthought on the Straz T-intersection dilemma, but for some reason I haven`t been able to edit posts from this computer for the past 6 months or so.

I know how frustrating that slow left turn can be, when a lot of people all have to wait for few and far between spaces to make their move. Would it be feasible to make a right, then a left at the next block or into some kind of driveway or parking lot, THEN get back into traffic with a right to put you in the direction you needed to go originally? A lot of extra screwing around, but maybe less stressfull and simpler in the end.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    There was a T intersection, I was coming from the direction that I had to turn either left or right, I was going left. I had a stop sign, but the other 2 directions didn't. There was a line of maybe 15 cars at the stop sign in the direction I was going. That intersection moves SLOW, so I went around the line of cars (which is legal in MA), then when I got 3 cars from the front, I saw the 2 front cars had their right turn signal on and there was a bit of space between them and the next car (the truck that yelled at me). I merged into the lane so I could turn left. That's when the driver directly behind me got pissed. Would you have waited in the whole line? I'm not sure what I could have safely done otherwise.
    I will go around cars to the stop line at a light, but at a stop sign I will wait in line. My theory being that at a light I am not delaying anyone, we can all roll when it turns green, but at a stop sign I look at it as cutting the line/taking someone's turn. Plus it seems more dangerous, they are more liable to roll a stop and possibly make a turn into me. If there is a right turn lane and we are all going right on red at a light, I don't pass either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There was a T intersection, I was coming from the direction that I had to turn either left or right, I was going left. I had a stop sign, but the other 2 directions didn't. There was a line of maybe 15 cars at the stop sign in the direction I was going. That intersection moves SLOW, so I went around the line of cars (which is legal in MA), then when I got 3 cars from the front, I saw the 2 front cars had their right turn signal on and there was a bit of space between them and the next car (the truck that yelled at me). I merged into the lane so I could turn left. That's when the driver directly behind me got pissed. Would you have waited in the whole line? I'm not sure what I could have safely done otherwise.
    I would have moved into the middle of the lane and taken my place in line. It think this is the best practice in most situations. The only time I pass cars on the right is when I'm in a bike lane, or maybe a road with a big shoulder when I'm not looking at getting into the line of traffic. Even if there had been a bike lane, I think I still would have pulled into traffic and taken my place in line. It's just easier.

One problem with pulling in front of a bunch of people, other than pissing them off, is that many times those same cars will have to pass you again. Waiting in line takes longer, but it minimizes the chance of conflict. That's my take at least.

I have a stop light on my commute, also a T intersection, that gets backed up in the morning. I take a left on a street about 30-40 yards away from the light. Sometimes I'm tempted to pass the line of cars in the right hand turning lane, pull in front of some cars, and take my turn. I could get away with it, but I think waiting is better for drivers and safer for me too. It kind of gets annoying sometimes, but that's just life sometimes.

CB of the East
    I assume you passed the line of cars on the left which means there was room. I would have stopped behind the 2 cars that were turning right and then turned beside the first car that was turning left at the same time.

It is definitely a double standard. It's perfectly fine for cars to pass you and then make you wait behind them in a line but drivers can't accept the fact that you can pass them in certain traffic situations and then make them wait in line behind a bike. God forbid!

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Pretty funny, but I like this one better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nMnr8ZirI
    Same sentiment, but no F-ing involved.
    I'd seen both of those before and in my mind they were the same video.

Commute in was good. Damp and cool but I ended up riding 24 miles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I assume you passed the line of cars on the left which means there was room. I would have stopped behind the 2 cars that were turning right and then turned beside the first car that was turning left at the same time.

It is definitely a double standard. It's perfectly fine for cars to pass you and then make you wait behind them in a line but drivers can't accept the fact that you can pass them in certain traffic situations and then make them wait in line behind a bike. God forbid!
    He passed on the right, which is why the two cars turning right was an issue. Double standard or not, playing leapfrog with cars is not my idea of a good time. In my state, it's not even legal unless on a bike lane or shoulder, which most roads don't have.

mtbr member
    Perfect commuting conditions for #21. Sunny, but not hot, and light winds. ¡Perfecto!

Foot bridge uno (as usual)-

Ped bridge dos (new starting today)-
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM, even though it is Friday. A bit chilly and breezy, but no rain, so there's that. No big riding plans for the weekend. I'll have a lot of grading to get done and with the moisture recently, the trails are probably too soft anyway. I'll get a few miles in tomorrow on the road, but not sure how many.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    He passed on the right, which is why the two cars turning right was an issue. Double standard or not, playing leapfrog with cars is not my idea of a good time. In my state, it's not even legal unless on a bike lane or shoulder, which most roads don't have.
    This morning I passed a line of maybe ten cars....held up by a construtction flag man...on the left in the oncoming lane....there were two cars who approached from a head...they gave me lots of room. so no problem. The flagman held up the cars for another full light.

Legal or not there was a cop parked on the right hand side of the road (oncoming side for me....he waved to me....

All low speed tight traffice just after rush hour.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    This morning I passed a line of maybe ten cars....held up by a construtction flag man...on the left in the oncoming lane....there were two cars who approached from a head...they gave me lots of room. so no problem. The flagman held up the cars for another full light.

Legal or not there was a cop parked on the right hand side of the road (oncoming side for me....he waved to me....

All low speed tight traffice just after rush hour.
    True story, bro?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    True story, bro?
    To make it seem even less true....When I got to work I discovered my wallet was not in my coat pocket...

I had fiddled with it to get it to sit flat in my pocket just has I left my house.

Called the wife she said she would have a look...

Then I got a call from the police department....turns out someone had turned in my wallet to the District three station...

Wife went over to pick it up....and all the cash $20CAD and $150USD was all still in there....

Unfourtunately the wife did not give the cash back to the cops as a reward.

How can you make stuff like this up.

mtbr member
    This morning, just as I was pulling into the train station, I heard a big crunching sound. I looked up the road and, sure enough, one car had just backed smack into the bumper of another car. As the distressed drivers got out of their cars, I thought, thats another very nice reason to commute by bike.

mtbr member
    Got into a discussion with one of the other coffee cyclists this morning about why I run lower pressure upfront than in the back - obviously it's because there's more weight on the back wheel, so you can get away with less pressure upfront.

But he was having trouble intuitively wrapping his head around the idea that the weight isn't equally shared between the two wheels (even though you see the same thing front/back with a car, or you can rock back and forth on your feet)

And that took me back to 1st year statics. So if you've ever puzzled over this:

The short version is that the weight distribution between front/rear wheels (R1 and R2 in the diagram) is proportional to the how far your center-of-gravity is from the two contact patches. The front wheel is further away, so it has a longer "lever" to push against you, so it can hold you up with less force than the back wheel.

Still too cold in the mornings for me to forego the jacket. In the fall I'll wear a tee down to freezing, but in the spring I'm such a wimp.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Second commute today after a long time off in pursuit of more than 4 hours of sleep a night. Having trouble finding a replacement battery for my cheap amazon light (they're all about as expensive as the light was originally, or have the wrong connector), probably going to have to make one. My butt's not used to the seat anymore, so that's not comfortable. Nice to be back on 2 wheels though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Second commute today after a long time off in pursuit of more than 4 hours of sleep a night. Having trouble finding a replacement battery for my cheap amazon light (they're all about as expensive as the light was originally, or have the wrong connector), probably going to have to make one. My butt's not used to the seat anymore, so that's not comfortable. Nice to be back on 2 wheels though.
    Congrats on getting back on the bike! Now you have "momentum" in your favor!

Do yourself a favor and get a comfy seat now and you'll be in great shape for keepin' on a steady roll...

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    But he was having trouble intuitively wrapping his head around the idea that the weight isn't equally shared between the two wheels (even though you see the same thing front/back with a car, or you can rock back and forth on your feet)
    He must have a really hard time with the concept of a wheelie where the rider shifts all his weigh to the rear wheel. Or why tire rotation or replacing the rear tire more frequently than the front is needed.

Last commute of the week and I'm headed to Boston to watch RollingRunner run the marathon. She's ready to get it behind her because there's been too much running and not enough rolling in her life lately. I'm planning on navigating the crowds by bike. Maybe I'll see Starz85 there.

mtbr member
    He must have a really hard time with the concept of a wheelie where the rider shifts all his weigh to the rear wheel. Or why tire rotation or replacing the rear tire more frequently than the front is needed.
    Yeah, it was weird because obviously it's true - I can demonstrate it just with the sidewall deflection when I'm sitting on my bike. But when asked Why it was true it took me awhile to come up with a good explanation. And I wouldn't be surprised if the guy still tries to weigh his bike on two scales when he got home.

Moderator Moderator
    Last commute of the week and I'm headed to Boston to watch RollingRunner run the marathon. She's ready to get it behind her because there's been too much running and not enough rolling in her life lately. I'm planning on navigating the crowds by bike. Maybe I'll see Starz85 there.
    Woohoo, good luck to RollingRunner, and safe travels to you both. Hope it is good running weather! A hot spring day in Boston can be tough on us northerners!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Got into a discussion with one of the other coffee cyclists this morning about why I run lower pressure upfront than in the back - obviously it's because there's more weight on the back wheel, so you can get away with less pressure upfront.

And that took me back to 1st year statics. So if you've ever puzzled over this:

The short version is that the weight distribution between front/rear wheels (R1 and R2 in the diagram) is proportional to the how far your center-of-gravity is from the two contact patches. The front wheel is further away, so it has a longer "lever" to push against you, so it can hold you up with less force than the back wheel.

Still too cold in the mornings for me to forego the jacket. In the fall I'll wear a tee down to freezing, but in the spring I'm such a wimp.
    Worryingly enough I had a very similar discussion with our heavy lift vessel contractors graduate engineer yesterday. He submitted a lift plan which indicated that it was OK to tandem lift a 320 metric ton reel with 2x 200MT cranes, the reel COG 7/8ths of the way along the spreader bar giving a hook weight of 160T on each crane! In the end we agreed that it was a better idea to put the 190MT reels on the outside and keep the heavy one in the centre of the bar.

I haven't commuted since january been working away or offshore - did 500 miles in the first 2 weeks of Jan and that's been about it. I don't count the hour or so I do in the gym each day when offshore.

To count as a bike commute I think that you actually have to go somewhere under human power.

mtbr member
    No commute today, but 10C/50F with snow for some reason? Weird.

I hit a bunch of trees today. It was a good ride, and the Gryhon is feeling great, but I was all over the place, and am really going to feel it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Awful. I was hung over to start. Had to sacrifice a pair of mid weight gloves to the underlords in the woods behind a cemetery, and then couldn't get my legs back in line after holding myself up against the tree. I thought I'd settle down, humming some Johnny cash to myself, "and it burns burns burns..." But then the dry heaves started.
    I finally crushed the last of my 27 miles and now that I've finished sweating and pounded a couple cups of black coffee I'm starting to feel like the 'ol ripper again.
    Hopefully the ride home in the morning is better.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Awful. I was hung over to start...
    ...But then the dry heaves started.
    Glad it wasn`t me! Hope you feel better on the ride home- sounds like you will.

RR is running the Boston Marathon? Awesome! Any specific time goals, or is the finish line itself the grand prize? Good luck to you!

More weight on rear than on front, sure (normally). That being the reason for rear tires to wear much faster than fronts I`m not so sure of. Because teh diference in wear is so much more than the difference in weight, I`ve always chalked it up to the rear being the drive wheel. (Normally)

Comming along pretty well with the commuter bike I`m refurbishing for an extended family member, but I`ve run into a crazy string of brake issues. Pissed off that the brake calipers have no spring tension adjust ments even though they LOOK just like the original cantis on my beast, and are only one year later. Then realized that I had forgotten to order straddle hanger clips, couldn`t find any at home, and it took two LBS stops to find some- the guy at the first shop couldn`t even figure out what I was talking about (comic releif was nice). Also had problems with bad threads on two of the four Avid brake pads (not the $150 version), and now can`t get the rear to stop squealing. It`ll come together somehow, and I`ll post pictures before delivery.

BEAUTIFUL weather this weekend! I went camping at a CA state park with wife, S-I-L, two 9 YO nieces (twins) and a 10 YO niece. Had fun, but boy am I glad I don`t have kids of my own- more drama than the Shakespeare festival! Today I get the job of cleaning up the aftermath, but that`s okay because I`m alone and all is calm and peaceful. It really makes me wonder though how three 70 pound kids can manage to go through what looks like a hundred pounds of clothes in the span of about 30 hours
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    A good ride in this AM. A bit windy. Supposedly we are on tap to get 4" of snow today, but I just don't believe it.

Just have to put this out there - going commando today and it's a bit liberating. We've all been there. I did manage to remember everything else though. So that's good.

mtbr member
    I shouldn't even admit this, but I got Cat6-ed by a rollerblader yesterday.

In my defense:

• This was a speed-skating rollerblader - hunched over, long strides, arms behind his back.
    • And I was on my "slow" ss, which will hit 30kph/20mph if I'm madly spinning at 125rpm. And I was done my ride and heading home, so I wasn't in a hurry.

But I don't get passed much - maybe 10 times that I can remember (including at least one bike with a gasengine, and one throttled e-bike) - but this guy flew by like he was a roadie. I don't actually know what my flat-pavement cruising speed is on that bike, but it's probably not much below 25kph? He was really moving, and I was super impressed.

Impossible to dress for this weather: 32F this morning, but should be around 70F for the ride home.

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute for me today as the forecast just isn't there for me. Cooler temps, rain, thunderstorms mixed in and then rain tonight. Did do some riding this weekend in Chicago while visiting my sister. Took my Contour Roam2 cam and a 64GB card to record the ride. Started out boring but somehow I made it into one of the most interesting and daring videos I have never seen. Wait, what? Never seen? Yeah, that's right, the memory card didn't format in the camera correctly so it never recorded. That was an absolutely epic ride and I have nothing to show for it other than memories. Very bummed but determined to get another video like that. Going back with a buddy at the end of next month, and will do the same route and hope to get some of the same type of footage. New card installed, formatted, tested and ready to go.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3208/6000

Bedwards Of The West
    I was in my own little world on the commute this morning.

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-04-20-10.39.43-am.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Today was probably the windiest ride I've ever had. I got to school very fast. The ride home was tough. I almost got knocked over by gusts of wind twice. That was a weird feeling.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 10.39.43 AM.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	982542
    Whoa, that's cool!

I felt a bit queasy and had a headache this morning, so I hemmed and hawed until it was too late to pedal my usual route. Cut it in half for 8 miles round trip, glad I rallied to do that much, as I felt fine the rest of the day. Headwinds and rain on the return, so the short trip was just fine with me.

At home a pretty big tree came down across my trail, but is high enough to walk under so far. We had a "good dog" day on the morning walk, he came back when I saw him staring into the woods suspiciously, and then we both heard the crash of a deer bounding off. Five minutes later we saw 3 take off and I convinced him not to take chase.

They told us today at work today that the top deck of the parking garage is closed for emergency repairs to the ramp, putting a good-sized dent (maybe 100 spaces) in the already tight parking situation. It's a good time to ride, provided I can steer clear of drivers with steam coming out of their ears.

Resident Texican
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeyedfish View Post
    Today was probably the windiest ride I've ever had. I got to school very fast. The ride home was tough. I almost got knocked over by gusts of wind twice. That was a weird feeling.
    I've had a couple days like that, and today was pretty windy but it was only a crosswind. It threw me off my line a few times, but it was nowhere near as bad as the headwinds we can get. It's good to be back on the bike though. My new Tamland is feeling really good now that I swapped the stem out.

I also have a new bag that I'm using to carry everything in to class. It's a Banjo Brothers Backpack/Pannier. I'm liking it quite a bit so far, as getting the 15+lbs off my back has made my ride SO MUCH more enjoyable.
    F@%K! Where the hell did that tree come from?!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 10.39.43 AM.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	982542
    I'd give you some rep for that pic, if I could. It has a Le Petit Prince kind of feel.

Ride in was unremarkable. It was chillier than it has been. I've been spoiled with 50s and 60s. 44F this morning.

mtbr member
    I'd give you some rep for that pic, if I could. It has a Le Petit Prince kind of feel.

Ride in was unremarkable. It was chillier than it has been. I've been spoiled with 50s and 60s. 44F this morning.
    Ditto on the chillier than usual. If last week was "the bomb" around here, then this week must be the fall-out. Yesterday going home was gusty enough that birds were lying low, mostly. This am had the same... plus snowflakes. Beats cold rain though.

Last cold day. No, really. Fer shur.

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute again as the rain continues, with a chance of snow tonight. Just not feeling it after the nice weather we have had. More of the same forecasted for tomorrow as well, with snow a high possibility but not much of it. Then I will be back on the bike.

guy
    Wasn't really feeling it this morning and was really debating driving in. Ended up riding and I'm glad I did. I'll need the stress relief of a long ride home after this day at work.

Bedwards Of The West
    Thanks for the pic love... came out cooler than I thought it would.

I dusted off the 'ol Nashbike road/cross/disc-braked-gravel-bike-before-it-was-cool this morning. The wheels had been holding onto my studded 29er tires for me all winter, just in case... but we all know how that went. Put the super skinny road tires (1.5") back on the wheels and got it ready to rip last night. I was averaging 22mph for the ride when I hit the edge of town 19 by the time I got to work. Man I felt like one of the fast guys. Nashbike lives!

No one calls me Maurice.
    Chilly and confrontational. I ride by our local City Mission everyday so I usually ride by a homeless person a few times each ride. This morning I'm riding on the MUP next to the Mission and a guy walking towards me yells "What are you looking at?" Knowing that I should just ride around I say "You, I'm wondering which side I should pass you on since you're walking right down the middle of the trail." As I rode off I could hear (tapering in the distance) the worlds most complete dissertation on civil rights and the trails system in America. Awesome.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Moderator Moderator
    Cold and soggy on the way in, clear and 40ish on the way home. Was speeding down the hill toward downtown in the left side of the empty right turn only (RTO) lane, when one of the cars who was backed up in a line at the straight ahead only lane changed his mind and pulled into the RTO lane just ahead of me - luckily I was looking out for that kind of move and was able to avoid a collision.

mtbr member
    No commute for me today. My work from home day for the week. Huge snow last night on the way home. I mean, the flakes were huge and wet and stinging the eyes. Some snow on the ground this AM, but it's all gone now. Bummer.

Need to step away from the computer and go ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sigh...another flat today. I think that makes it 8 in the past month.

My Schwalbe Marathon failed at the bead just over a month ago, warranty replacement still hasn't arrived. No updates from them whatsoever. Will probably have to buy a new tire while they leave me hanging.

Not impressed with Schwalbe's service at all. Highly doubtful I'll ever buy another tire from them after this, super frustrated

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I was down for most of last week due to a stomach bug. Today I got to ride. The ride to work was just an uneventful except that I swallowed a bug. Normally not a big deal but it stuck to my uvula so I was hacking and gagging the last mile and a half. Luckily I didn't see anyone on the trail to work.

I wasn't so lucky on the way home. I really pushed it hard coming home to make up for lost riding days. I was averaging 9.2 Mph up from my 7.4. I was in the last stretch of the commute thinking I was all kicking butt when I get passed by a guy who looked to be in his late 60s with no effort. To add to my embarrassment when I had to lift my bike over the little iron gate barrier thingy at the trail head, my legs decided to go jelly on me and I fell over my bike in front of a bunch of people walking their dogs and stuff.

So although my pride bruised, I rode better than I did last week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Within a 5 minute span I faced a near pinch between an SUV and a guard rail, followed shortly by one of the most vivid rainbows I've ever seen. The near pinch is probably going to make me re-evaluate my route to avoid the section with guard rails, because that was scary. I saw it coming from a ways off but there was nothing I could do and nowhere to go other than stop, get off my bike, and fling myself over the guard rail. Not something I could have accomplished in the time available. Also no way to make a sound loud enough to alert the driver.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My commute in yesterday was great!! On the ride to work I had to stop off at the Chinese consulate to apply for a visa - but I forgot to add my residency permit to the application - so I had to cycle to work, collect the document, ride back and apply then ride into work. This was great! I spent the whole morning more or less on the bike! The weather was nice too! (+14degC dry and a mild breeze)

The way home was strange - I actually got stuck in traffic. Bike traffic. On the bike path. The first properly warm days are here (+19degC and sun sun sun) and it brought out every possible biker in Oslo. I couldn't get up to a descent cruising speed and the path isnt wide enough to safely pass all the middle aged women on city bikes. It was actually really nice to see so many bikers out after winter, though - I spent most of the time bike spotting.

The ride in this morning was pretty forgettable. +7degC, no wind and nothing to report...

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot7 View Post
    I wasn't so lucky on the way home. I really pushed it hard coming home to make up for lost riding days. I was averaging 9.2 Mph up from my 7.4. I was in the last stretch of the commute thinking I was all kicking butt when I get passed by a guy who looked to be in his late 60s with no effort. To add to my embarrassment when I had to lift my bike over the little iron gate barrier thingy at the trail head, my legs decided to go jelly on me and I fell over my bike in front of a bunch of people walking their dogs and stuff.
    Cool! Reading all these guys post about 20 MPH averages keeps rubbing in how slow I am. It`s nice to know I`m not the only one Keep riding and you`ll get to the point where you can plan your screw ups for places without an audience.

Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Sigh...another flat today. I think that makes it 8 in the past month.

Not impressed with Schwalbe's service at all. Highly doubtful I'll ever buy another tire from them after this, super frustrated
    That`s odd. Although I read a lot of complaints against Schwalbe`s product (as well as a lot of raves), their customer service is usually top notch. At least it has been for me and for the people whose comments on the matter I`ve read. I hope you soon get a surprise package in the mail. Then whether or not you continue using their tires, at least they`ll have hopefully taken care of the bum one you bought.

Flat for me this morning (Mon) too. After months of living with a slow leak that required me to air up my rear tire about every other day, I finally put in a brand new tube. It stayed patch-free for only one ride, then I caught a nail on my way home, dag-nabbit! At least it`s the first flat on my bike in quite a while. My moto and my wife`s car seem to have gotten the curse in a big way this spring, and I had one on my pickup.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    My ride home wasn't much better. I REALLY mapped myself up with that long mtb ride last week.
    My legs felt like wood. Painful wood.
    I didn't have time for a recovery spin yesterday, so we'll see how today goes.

mtbr member

Springfield Sunrise Coffee and Bikes Club

It's a local commuter "meet up" group every other Wed morning.

How was your commute today?-20150422_061352.jpgHow was your commute today?-20150422_061931.jpgHow was your commute today?-20150422_064042.jpg
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    This morning was a nice ride in. A bit chilly, but not too bad. More importantly, the sun is rising by the time I leave the house (4:38AM) and by the time I get to town I no longer need my light to see - just to blink for the motorists. I like that.

I should probably also mention that I almost sold my Pugsley. Yes, almost. Had a guy lined up and ready to go and then I flaked out. He offered me what I was asking, but had to come back the next day with cash. I was cool with that until I went inside and sat down at my computer to do some work and saw a pic I took last weekend with my son - him riding the Pugs and me on my bike and I realized that the 1k of play money would be awesome, but the fun and memories I'm making with my son on that bike are worth far more than what I can get from selling the bike. I was almost going to be able to get my Mike Curiak built set of wheels. Now I gotta go back to saving my pennies...

Bedwards Of The West
    'Cross bike again. I averaged, like, 54 miles per hour or something Rodar.

Had a cool ride after work yesterday. It was the 18 mile meet-the-wife-and-kids-at-grandma's-house commute. There was a major thunderstorm brewing over town just as I was getting ready to leave work. When I got on the bike, and the downpour was just starting. Raining hard, but the road wasn't soaked yet. Thunder rumbling everywhere. I was on the fenderless 'cross bike, so I was hoping to be able to outrun it.
    Just about the time the tires started throwing up water, I started to get ahead of it, and I shot out of the storm just as I was leaving town like I had just blown up the death star and rode the tailwind all the way across the valley on dry roads, watching lightning zotting the hilltops and listening to the thunder.

I'd rather be on my bike

Had a cool ride after work yesterday. It was the 18 mile meet-the-wife-and-kids-at-grandma's-house commute. There was a major thunderstorm brewing over town just as I was getting ready to leave work. When I got on the bike, and the downpour was just starting. Raining hard, but the road wasn't soaked yet. Thunder rumbling everywhere. I was on the fenderless 'cross bike, so I was hoping to be able to outrun it.
    Just about the time the tires started throwing up water, I started to get ahead of it, and I shot out of the storm just as I was leaving town like I had just blown up the death star and rode the tailwind all the way across the valley on dry roads, watching lightning zotting the hilltops and listening to the thunder.
    + rep left for best description of a commute and the use of the Death Star in that description. Bravo!

Bedwards Of The West
    Haha thanks. I'm hating that grammatical error that I made now.

Just like this, I'm telling ya:

How was your commute today?-death-star-explosion.jpg

mtbr member
    Haven't been doing much commuting lately. Work has been working me to the point of exhaustion every day for the last two weeks or so. But, I rode home last night, and was feeling like getting in a little trouble, so I modified my route and took off down a dirt path that I spotted while driving around for work. Turns out it's an access road for the county to a traffic control box by the interstate. It's just about a mile long, and had some offshoots that I imagine workers use to hide out when avoiding the boss man. Anyway, here's a pic I snapped. How was your commute today?-uploadfromtaptalk1429726371058.jpg
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It was nice and cool, no humidity today (and luckily no rain)...all sunshine. Then I discovered "head winds". Still got to work on time, but I can feel my legs got a little more workout. Hopefully the same head winds will become tail winds for the ride home. I did stop in the LBS shop today to verify if my Trek/Fisher was on the recall. Mine is not. If you're not familiar with the recall:

Trek recalls nearly 1 million bikes for safety issue - Apr. 22, 2015
    Trek riders: Here's what to do with your recalled bike
    Trek Recalls Bicycles Equipped with Front Disc Brakes to Replace Quick Release Lever Due to Crash Hazard | CPSC.gov

I'm still enjoying the ride of the Big Apples, but long term wonder if I'll move to something skinnier like the Marathons.

CB of the East

Open Water

I think he meant to say 16.8mph.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  15.0 KB

Commute in was good. I rode past the lake which was totally open water. It was less than 2 weeks ago that I rode across it and it had about 2 feet of ice!