Page 341 of 621 FirstFirst ... 241 291 331 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 351 391 441 ... LastLast
Results 8,501 to 8,525 of 15519
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    It snowed the whole time? I don`t think I`ve ever seen it snow below zero F.
    Yup snowed heavily to start and then tapered off as the temp fell....Geez I have seen it snowing at -40C....

That is how you make the really light beautiful Alberta powder.

mtbr member
    True, that makes the best powder, but the real dumps happen when warm and cold fronts are fighting, which is why most snow happens within 20 degrees of the freezing point. To get über cold, we need clear skies.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ That's also why they call the stuff we get "Sierra Cement". gotta get further from the ocean to get the super light stuff... we get some up high, but it's rare. Tahoe powder is very different from Utah powder.

Our typical pattern is: big snow storm hangs out around the freezing point, then the cold front passes and it drops to single digits behind the storm. Our powder actually gets lighter after it's been on the ground a while sometimes, as some of the moisture evaporates.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I'm going to take the roads to the lake. I think I should make it....
    Yup. Happy weekend everybody!

We get all of those types of snow. Sometimes in the same storm.

Jeffscott, you know the ice is save because it has been below -20C for days on end
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 01-11-2013 at 05:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Jeffscott, you know the ice is save because it has been below 20C for days on end
    Wait, what planet do you live on? What does 20C have to do with ice forming? Or maybe we are making fun of the Celsius users, because that's always fun....always making it sound colder than it really is out there. Just kidding...cough syrup is kicking in.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Must be the cough syrup. Those tiny minus signs are so hard to see.

mtbr member
    Not a bad ride after work today. Knocked off early and logged 10.0 -- fairly stiff headwind until I made a 180 and headed west to the house. A welcome break from the week's rain!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Honestly, it was probably the F to C conversion that screwed me up. Celsius is only used in my engineering life. When I use it to talk about weather all bets are off. Not to mention that it is Friday night.

mtbr member
    Hit over 60F today, though it was in the high 50's when I rode. Snow almost all gone. More coming to replace it early next week.

BrianMc

weirdo
    No work tonight, starting swing shift for sure on Monday. Was out driving around twon this afternoon- crazy stuff! it just snowed a LITTLE BIT, but the roads were skating rinks. I drive a 2wd pickup with nothing in the bed and had to chain up as soon as I started getting out of the flat valley bottom. Somehow unbent the little hook end on one of my chains and had to have my dad come resuce me with a couple pairs of Channel Locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Or maybe we are making fun of the Celsius users, because that's always fun....
    Yes it is
    Almost as much fun as making fun of people who roll on tyres
    I can think directly in mm or KM, but have to translate C temps in order to wrap my head around them. But actually, with the international weather reports that we constantly get here in Commuterland, I`m getting pretty good at doing rough tanslations in my head- I just figure 32 +/- C/2 and I know I`m in the ballpark.

Other personal metric/imperial traits: because I work constantly with metric bolts and threads and shafts, I`m more accustomed to them than to SAE sizes. I`m getting pretty close to thinking grams over ounces, but still don`t do KGs over pounds- go figure. Liters are just 1/4 gallons and fluid ounces have never made much sense to me.
    Last edited by rodar y rodar; 01-11-2013 at 11:12 PM.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Not to cold at 26F but the wind was killing me on the way home. I ride a 29er Mtn bike about 6 miles each way. Mostly down hill to work and mostly up hill home. Riding into 35+mph winds up hill was a killer but I burned a few hundred more Kcal (Endomondo W/HR mon). Winter is not as much fun as summer.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Sixty three Fahrenheit and another 17 miles. Spring in January is nice but our California fruits and vegetables are going to be expensive with the cold they have.

Some others rode yesterday. The salmon BMXer was surprised. I am not much faster than a spotted salamander yet, so it took longer to catch him than I thought.

BrianMc
    Last edited by BrianMc; 01-13-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Wow! We've got a January thaw as well, hit about 45F today, so I drove to pavement for 14.5 miles on the road with the cross bike. The road shoulders were super spoogy and everything''s a mess, but I enjoyed it. A pic at the historical society museum and a not-so-frozen-as-it-was lake.

I passed a sign, tortierres, $10 and had to look it up despite >30 years in VT & ME....it's a French Canadian meat pie, looks yummy, but the best is step 4, where you put it in a snowbank. How to Make Classic Tourtière (Québec Pork Pie) | Simple Bites
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1000290-600x800-.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1000291-600x800-.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1000292-800x600-.jpg  

Last edited by mtbxplorer; 01-13-2013 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Forgot the 2 minute video. The BMX kid was faster than a spotted salamander and I was only slightly more faster. More fitness coming online, but it is slow.

Meeting Cyclists - YouTube

Nice Hi! at the end.

Brianmc

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Forgot the 2 minute video. The BMX kid was faster than a spotted salamander and I was only slightly more faster. More fitness coming online, but it is slow.

Meeting Cyclists - YouTube

Nice Hi! at the end.

Brianmc
    Cool - I commented on your running of stops -

I know it's different every-time, but I thought I would have tried to tell the kid to ride on the right & maybe explain why if he was to listen, It's weird educating people - I get it; especially children - you'll get someone going, "he was trying to rape my boy!!"
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I get the feeling that NJ is becoming England. Rainy, foggy, grey for most of the past week, and more to come.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ...I passed a sign, tortierres, $10 and had to look it up despite >30 years in VT & ME....it's a French Canadian meat pie, looks yummy, but the best is step 4, where you put it in a snowbank. How to Make Classic Tourtière (Québec Pork Pie) | Simple Bites
    I just hear them called meat pies around here.

January thaw in full effect here as well. It's amazing how warm 40F feels. A week ago no gloves would keep my hands warm and this week any will do. Super foggy too. I took the longer squishy dirt road route to avoid as many cars as I could. I also added an extra Spoke LIt that I got for my B-day to my bike. Good timing.

mtbr member
    Ah, yes. Meat pies. I usually have one a week, my little local grocer has a local lady that makes little individual ones, they are fantastic. She also makes salmon pie...I have yet to try one, kinda scared quite honestly.
    It was really, really warm here this morning. 37F feels like 70. Rode to work in a t-shirt, sweat shirt, wind-breaker. No snow or ice on the road, aired up the tires to 7.5psi and had a super fast ride down. The snow banks are solid and were really fun to play on. I can't wait for the big freeze tonight, the world will be my playground with an unbreakable crust on the snow. yay for January thaw.

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    My eyelashes kept freezing due to the steam sent up from my balaclava. I really need to wear my ski goggles when it's this cold. 7 degrees F before wind chill. Lobster gloves with liners were slightly chilly. If and when it drops below zero I'll have to use my military over-mitts.

mtbr member
    Didn't even try riding today. Anchorage is in the midst of another meltdown. The roads are ice rinks and I am sure that the trails are just horrible. I figure that by riding on them when they are soft, knowing they'll freeze back up in a day or so, would do more damage to them than what it's worth. So I carpooled. The local schools are closed. The university is closed. It's a good day to not risk riding. (Yet I feel so dirty for some reason...)

I Ride for Donuts
    Woot Woot! New record here... minus 4.5* F. My previous record was -4, so only a half of a degree, but I'll take it.
    You know it's cold when you get beard-cicles inside your 'clava.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Cool - I commented on your running of stops -
    Hehe. I run a lot of stops, but I was surprised to see B Mc do it A few weeks ago, I saw a kid (bout 8 YO, I guess) all bundled up riding salmon on the sidewalk on a super cold morning. Thought about "educating" him a little and changed my mind- just give him a salute and a big smile for going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorCatholic View Post
    My eyelashes kept freezing due to the steam sent up from my balaclava. If and when it drops below zero I'll have to use my military over-mitts.
    Wow, that does sound cold. And I can`t find my overmitts

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Woot Woot! New record here... minus 4.5* F. My previous record was -4, so only a half of a degree, but I'll take it.
    You know it's cold when you get beard-cicles inside your 'clava.
    CB, you have me solidly beat with that one! For today, at least- don`t know what my all time low has been. Our weather report says +8 for this morning but by the time I got up it was definitely above that. I start 3 months of swing shift this afternoon, so no more 7 AM runs. It`ll be much warmer for me on the way in and my return temps should be roughly the same as my in temps have been.

My wife and I rented snowshoes Sat and met up with some of her friends to play for a while. It was my first time on the contraptions- nice enough, but I still prefer skiis. Also I was REALLY surprised to see that the entire surface of the lake (Donner Lake) was liquid- guess we just can`t even dream of competing with the real Northerners in that respect. Though I have seen snow mobile tracks across it in previous winters.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Our deep lakes haven't frozen yet. Sebago is one of the biggest and 300' deep in places and none of it is frozen. Some years it never freezes, some years half freezes and some years all of it freezes. Little Sebago, the one I commute across, has a depth that is measured in feet in most spots. Like 10-30, so there is a lot less water to cool off. The shallow lakes freeze fast and warm up fast too. Ironically, the lakes that are coldest to swim in are the last to freeze.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Everything melted over the weekend so I thought I'd try to sneak in a week or two before winter realizes it's supposed to snow on us again. Got all kitted up, packed up, was airing up before heading out and found a broken spoke on my back wheel. Crap. Tried to ride anyways but after getting up the first hill about half a mile from my house I had a minute to try to figure out if the clinking was the spoke hitting something and saw it banging into my chainstay every revolution. Tried to pull the spoke out on the side of the road but couldn't get it to clear the brake rotor. Wrapped it around another spoke to keep it out of the way, rode the next 10 miles to work. I'll have to leave early today and ride it another few miles to the bike shop in town nearby to get them to do the spoke, hell if I'm dealing with spoke tensions myself.

I Ride for Donuts
    mmmm, Donner Lake. Cool spot.

Turns out my record was all for naught... school is on a 'delayed start' schedule becuase of "extreme icy conditions"... busses are having trouble. I could have come in an hour later with solid temps around negative 2. These kids should be riding their bikes to school