Page 340 of 598 FirstFirst ... 240 290 330 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 350 390 440 ... LastLast
Results 8,476 to 8,500 of 14926
    Still want a fat bike....
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I love dyno- welcome to the enlightened world! Is there now a US distributor for the dyno version of that Safe Ride? I see Peter White now mentions it on his website, but so far only stocks the battery version. My buddy recnetly bought one and had to get it from a Dutch distributor. You already had the hub, didn`t you? Did you go with a wired tail light also?
    Rodar - I had the hub on the bike since March or so when I put it all together. I have been dying to use it. I got the light from Peter White, but it looks like his site says Philips is dropping North America, so they must have sold their remaining lights and I was lucky enough to get one. That sucks. Maybe a call in to him might find something.

As for the tail, the plan is to get one wired, but I am still unsure which one I'm going to get. For now I'm still rocking my Radbot 1000 from Portland Design Works. That one may move up to the helmet once I get a wired light.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

mtbr member
    Snuck a short ride under the last of the sun and temps in the 40's. Nice.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Licking your glasses works to keep that frost at bay, by the way.
    Bring it on
    Gaza Extremes fear nowt!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    Rodar - I had the hub on the bike since March or so when I put it all together. I have been dying to use it. I got the light from Peter White, but it looks like his site says Philips is dropping North America, so they must have sold their remaining lights and I was lucky enough to get one. That sucks. Maybe a call in to him might find something.

As for the tail, the plan is to get one wired, but I am still unsure which one I'm going to get. For now I'm still rocking my Radbot 1000 from Portland Design Works. That one may move up to the helmet once I get a wired light.
    Dropping North America? Hell, I wasn`t even completely sure they had arrived! Personally, I`m happy with B&M, but mo options is always mo betta, so sorry to see they aren`t going to stick wtih it over here. Wired tail lights are nice, but not as much benefit as the front and routing the wire is a minor hassle. I`m going to keep the wired light on my commuter, but don`t think I`ll bother with one on the other bikes that I have set up for "occasional" lighting. If you do go with a wired light in back, I have a routing tip that might work for you. I was having trouble keeping that front-to-rear wire run out of trouble and eventually took care of it by routing through a length of 1/4 inch plack plastic tubing (for drip irrigation, I think) that I snuggled between two of the three cables that run along my top tube and tied it loosely to the cables with zip ties. For some reason, the zip ties tend to work themselves towards the front end, but it`s easy enough to slide them back where they belong every couple of days- I just do that while riding whenever it catches my eye. Anyway, whatever you do about your tail light, I`m sure you`ll continue to love that dyno light up front!
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Roadblock!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    ^^ Hard to fly like an eagle when surrounded by turkeys.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by torQ! View Post
    Riding my mountain bike with slicks to work today, road bike is in the shop for some work. The first half of this week was in the 90s and raining so I didn't ride at all.
    Cornflakes don`t belong in a cage.
    They need to roam free, soar with the gerbils.
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    Holy smokes. That's a lot of turkeys.

My dirt road was eipc yesterday. It started raining about 2 hours before I headed home (in the dark)...so it was a slush fest on top of the packed snow/ice. There was a nice 3 or 4 inch layer of hardpack on the dirt road in the morning, but by the time I got to CLIMB UPHILL on it on the way home, it was the worst I've ever seen it. a couple hours of rain on top of the packed snow created the most epically slippery, thick creation I've ever ridden through. Not over, through. The Nokians pulled me through, but it was quite an effort. I considered walking.

We got some fresh snow last night. The road spray that the cars threw up yesterday froze, with a thin layer of fresh on top...it was the loudest road surface ever. PopRocks, all the way to town. I woke up VERY late... a bit stressful, but at least it was light out. Last year (before studs) this would have been a driving day.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    MTXB, I haven't seem many turkeys lately.
    Rodar, what the hell are you talking about?
    CB, That slushy stuff sucks! Congrats on the studded commute that you would have driven, you are now officially a convert.

This warm weather has me leery of the lake so I had to take the roads. It's been above freezing since noon yesterday and the ice isn't that thick to start. It is forecast to be warm for a while so I'm not sure if/when I'll be able to cross again. WINDY too. I wore 1 layer too many, isn't it supposed to be winter?

I'll keep the image to a reasonable size today.

I Ride for Donuts
    Playing with the GoPro... not sure when I'll be ready to 'drop' my first 'edit', but here's a screen grab from this morning...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Nice pictures above all!

20F, dusting of snow, fast firm trails, sub 50 minute commute!!!

mtbr member
    I agree with JordyB. Good commute this AM. Though I still wish for more snow...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I commute about 9.5km each way in the winter and today was one of those days when I want to move somewhere where winter means no snow and low temps that are well above the freezing mark.

Woke up to 10+cm of drifting snow and paths that are never cleared by the time I start riding (5.15am) Today was just deep snow, no traction and a couple of wipeouts.

The paths will be likely be clear when I leave the office but i will be riding into a headwind with windchill of -20C.

No real point other than me ranting/venting/whining.

mtbr member
    ^^ Gunnar-man, do you commute on the HD or do you have another bike for that task?

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    BrianMc: I just use a rigid 700c with partially studded tires and Alfine drivetrain.

We get a dump of snow usually with cold temps that last a few days, then a chinook blows through melting the snow during the day/freezing over night. Lots of slush during that time. I couldn't subject the Mojo to that kind of treatment.

mtbr member
    good grief.... borderline freezing and raining. BOOOO!!

mtbr member

From my Monday post-work ride.

From this morning

Almost a heat wave today: was only 36 this morning and 45 this afternoon. That's not counting the 10-20mph winds - great when it's a tailwind but miserable as a headwind.

Storm blowing in as I type, luckily I'm not working again until Tuesday so I won't have to deal with it unless I want to.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    -18 C (-.4F) 10 to 12 inches of snow.....started snowing at +1C then it went all the way down.

The 1.9 inch tires floated on the frozen wet layer.

Too cold for car snot the snow consolidated well.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Negative 4 Farenheit is my personal low temp record. I haven't had the "opportunity" to go lower. We hit negative double digits every few years or so... most winters low single digits is about it. I do like how everything firms up when it drops that far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Painful one today. Freezing rain in the morning with 4+" of snow expected later. I walked onto the driveway and moved my foot about to check for ice. Didnt seem too bad. I took my Fat bike out, and rode it to the end of the driveway before all traction was lost and I fell. Skinned my knee a little but otherwise ok. Walked the fatbike back to the garage, grabbed my other bike with studded tires and rode in just fine. We'll see if the freezing drizzle now turns to snow, as the ride home will be quite interesting.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

MTB, Road, Commuting
    At least you had the studded tire bike to walk back to.

Below freezing this morning so I took the lake route. It's a fickle route. Still nice sunrises:

mtbr member
    It would have been a wonderful week of commuting weather wise, but this darn chest cold just makes it a real drag. I keep telling myself that I will ride it out of my system, but it just hurts. 7F this morning on my way in. It was almost 40F yesterday, so there was a fair bit of ice on the roads and sidewalks this morning. Not too bad, just enough to make you pucker and pray for pavement on the other side. The snowmobile trails are riding soooo well. I hope I feel better this weekend so I can get out and ride the trails outside of town a bit.

I Ride for Donuts
    Bedwards, I don't think I could get comfortable riding across a lake. It sounds awesome, but I would definitely be scared that I would break through the ice and lose my bike. Or die. I don't feel like I have the expertise to determine if the conditions were safe.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bedwards, I don't think I could get comfortable riding across a lake. It sounds awesome, but I would definitely be scared that I would break through the ice and lose my bike. Or die. I don't feel like I have the expertise to determine if the conditions were safe.
    Really not to hard to tell.....4 inches of clear had ice is fine.....

Basically if you can feel the ice moving it is too thin.

In the spring the lakes are still well frozen....but the snow starts to melt the water can't get below the ice layer, so it will sit on top of it....

Cause the snow insulates the water from the cold nights, the water level above the ice keeps building...

You can get a thin layer of ice above the main ice.

Pretty freaky when you ski across the lake, and break through ice layers....just gotta remember where the real ice layer is.

Also on reserviors the ice can for say 4 feet thick....then the level drops, the ice will crack around the edges of the reservoir, and float out on the water....

if you go down a crack you might end up floating in icy water covered by an ice floe.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    You start to know your lakes. After you see if freeze a few years in a row you know where the streams and springs are that make weak spots. Pressure ridges give me the willies so I try to avoid them. Luckily there are none on my route.I think they actually form because 2 layers of ice are overlapping but any liquid water in the middle of a frozen lake isn't good. That, and I've seen some pickup trucks at the bottom of them.

It's been 35 here today so not warm enough to do any significant melting but warm enough to make the snow soft on the trails. I'm going to take the roads to the lake. I think I should make it....

weirdo
    Jag`s story reminded me what I was going to post last night and forgot. Went out for one more smoke last night before I took off for work and decided I`d wheel my bike around to the door while I was there. It was completely windless and snowing lightly, so there was about a cm of fluffy white covering everything uniformly. I came bebopping along the driveway with a cup of coffee in one hand and pushing my bike with the other hand and stepped on a snow-hidden puddle- slid maybe one foot and didn`t go down, but I sloshed most of the coffee on myself. Glad I had another jacket to change into!

Schott, I hope you kick that chest cold before next week. I had it bad like that for the week leading up to Christmas. It sucks bad enough in the summer, worse when its cold out.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    -18 C (-.4F) 10 to 12 inches of snow.....started snowing at +1C then it went all the way down.
    It snowed the whole time? I don`t think I`ve ever seen it snow below zero F.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Still nice sunrises:
    You`re giving CB a run for his sunrise money.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    if you go down a crack you might end up floating in icy water covered by an ice floe.
    Now that`s a cheery thought.
    Recalculating....