Page 340 of 421 FirstFirst ... 240290330336337338339340341342343344350390 ... LastLast
Results 16,951 to 17,000 of 21009
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Cool - It really makes my day when you get some love from passers by. The other day I get asked by a 5-6 year old as I zipped past "er du med i Frankerike rundt?" (Basically - do you ride the Tour de France?)... I think he was taking the piss, though... I think the drop bars on my 26er had him a wee bit confused too.

As for my ride today - it was lovely. Sunny with a slight head wind. Legs felt good too!
    Problem was I forgot to close the zip on the small compartment of my bag. You know the one - where your put your keys, phone, wallet, tablet, reading glasses etc...

Luckily nothing seems to be lost

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good news bad news kind of riding.

I got my girlfriend a fatbike for when we do rail trails because she likes mine and she decided she wanted to try some single track. Took her out for her first ever MTB ride on Sunday and she loved it, 12.2 miles in total and she did really well.

Bad news is my streak of luck continues, got my first ever MTB flat on the ride with my girlfriend, ended up walking/jogging the last mile. No idea what caused it, I pulled the tube and I can't find a puncture. Put some air in it and it held overnight

Today on the ride in the bolt holding my rack to the stays came loose and fell out. Managed to find the bolt, couldn't find the spacer that keep it from hitting the disc brakes. Rigged something up when I got to work using some nuts and a piece of cardboard. I'm ready for this streak to end now...

guy
    Ride home Friday was brutal as I expected. Those glorious tailwinds from the morning were pounding me head on for the way home. I opted to add on some extra miles anyway to get ready for the race season. Even with the wind, it was a beautiful sunny day so I didn't mind too much.

This morning was excellent as well. 57 and not a cloud in the sky. Traffic was light and I made good time. Got to work and....forgot my keys at home, so I couldn't lock my bike to the rack and I'm going to have to hope my neighbor is home this evening so I can get my spare.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My first official commute to work. Instead of lurking and reading others, I made my commute. 15.2 miles all bike lane/sidewalk did it just over an hour. After doing "weeks" of reading, I purchased Big Apples and got them on my rims Friday. I ride a 2011 Gary Fisher (Trek) X-Cal. Luckily, this weekend was the Trek (Bontrager) sale. I was able to pick up the seat post rack and the Bontrager "Trunk" with fold out panniers. I was nervous about getting everything I needed in the bag, but shockingly everything I wanted to bring fit. I'm very fortunate to have a shower and a locker at work. Having read a lot of this forum, I had prestaged my work clothes last week. I'll only have to bring clean socks and under garments.

My initial goal is to commute Mon & Wed. Use Fridays to bring clean towel and clothes. Eventually I want to get up to 4 days a week.

guy
    ^Welcome!

mtbr member
    Glad to have you join our insanity!
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelako View Post
    My first official commute to work. Instead of lurking and reading others, I made my commute. 15.2 miles all bike lane/sidewalk did it just over an hour. After doing "weeks" of reading, I purchased Big Apples and got them on my rims Friday. I ride a 2011 Gary Fisher (Trek) X-Cal. Luckily, this weekend was the Trek (Bontrager) sale. I was able to pick up the seat post rack and the Bontrager "Trunk" with fold out panniers. I was nervous about getting everything I needed in the bag, but shockingly everything I wanted to bring fit. I'm very fortunate to have a shower and a locker at work. Having read a lot of this forum, I had prestaged my work clothes last week. I'll only have to bring clean socks and under garments.

My initial goal is to commute Mon & Wed. Use Fridays to bring clean towel and clothes. Eventually I want to get up to 4 days a week.
    Welcome!!! Sounds like you did your research, figured out what you needed, and got everything planned out. Jealous of your work set up with the shower and locker. Still working on getting that for myself if possible. A shower is available, but no locker at this time, so I would have to carry everything every day.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3262/6000

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelako View Post

Sounds like you have a similar and perfect bike commuting situation. I stage my clothes for a week at a time too. If you only had a wife that worked with you and needed a car at work you could get that up to 5 days a week.

Don't be shy about asking for advice here, it's a friendly group.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    On the way home this evening I caught and passed an older guy on an e bike. I felt great! Until another older guy caught and passed me on an ancient Trek hybrid with saddle bags and a back pack...

I love biking to work

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    On the way home this evening I caught and passed an older guy on an e bike. I felt great! Until another older guy caught and passed me on an ancient Trek hybrid with saddle bags and a back pack...

I love biking to work
    For me (at 52) it's not about age that much (most riders are younger) it's about the second thing you mentioned (ancient Trek hybrid). I was passed early last year by a guy wearing flipflops and old basketball shorts on a walmart special bike. That was my low point for a while, then I got passed by a guy carrying a bag of aluminum cans. Granted both these guys were 20 years (or more younger) and riding skinny tires, but the second guy was basically a homeless guy riding one handed. I'm not particularly slow, but there are days when I wonder.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This is the time of year I love, on my clunky/abused city commuter a lot of the roadies under estimate me at stop lights. Little do they know, I've been riding almost non-stop, so my legs are a bit stronger than them. I love smoking them off the line or staying with them light after light.

Rough commute, I broke a spoke the other day, but kept riding because I had to. Well leaving work today, I noticed my wheel was especially screwed up. Took it to the bike shop and I actually broke 2 spokes. Rode it home with the promise I'd return tomorrow to get it fixed. Thankfully, I have a spare(s) bike to ride while that wheel is in the shop. Also I got a nice compliment from the bike mechanic, he looked at my clunky, abused commuter and said "Looks like you've really been using it how it was meant to be used."

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That's a great pleasure of mine too - hunting for road warriors. What with their toned shaved legs and skinny little tires and bikes that weight less than my left testicle... Not that I'm jealous, understand .

When I used to cycle through the winter I noticed the same thing - mashing through nasty head winds in a couple centimetres of gravely slushy snow on studded tires does wonders for the legs! The fair weather cyclists that start coming out at this time of year on their high end road bikes don't appreciate this

Forster - when I said the guy on the e-bike was older - I meant "old". He was not far from 70 in my estimation. In great shape, but not far from 70. Nice guy too - I got chatting to him at the traffic lights - well, he was chatting, I was struggling to get my breath back after passing him...

Moderator Moderator
    First T shirt and shorts ride for the way home yesterday! It would have been more fun without the wind, but I guess the big jump in temps had something to do with that. Stopped at the LBS and got the new Specialized Myth (women's) saddle at their 20% off sale. I've had good luck with Specialized saddles and this one has gotten some good reviews.

I had a too-close-for-comfort call in the morning. I had moved onto the left lane to continue forward (the right lane is right turn only) and was pedaling on toward the green light, when a pickup started veering toward me from my left. At first I assumed it was also going straight and was just bad at maintaining his line, but no, he kept veering and turned in front of me to make the right turn from the left side of the wrong lane. Unbelievable. He left to a bunch of arm waving and yelling in his rear view, but I doubt he even noticed.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ those can be tricky mtbxplorer. Glad that you are alright and there was not an incident. I deal with one of those daily on my commute, where the right turn lane takes over the bike lane which continues on after the intersection. People coming up from behind usually can see you, but they decide to speed up, veer over, and just pass and turn right in front of you, like you aren't even there.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    For me (at 52) it's not about age that much (most riders are younger) it's about the second thing you mentioned (ancient Trek hybrid). I was passed early last year by a guy wearing flipflops and old basketball shorts on a walmart special bike. That was my low point for a while, then I got passed by a guy carrying a bag of aluminum cans. Granted both these guys were 20 years (or more younger) and riding skinny tires, but the second guy was basically a homeless guy riding one handed. I'm not particularly slow, but there are days when I wonder.
    Um, if you get passed by somebody riding one handed hauling a bag of cans you may be particularly slow. Either that or he was on crack, that might get you moving.

All of a sudden it is spring here. We've melted about 2' of snow off the ground in about a week. It looks like shorts commutes for the whole week. It's really not a bad deal, we got great winter riding conditions and then jumped into the 60s.

mtbr member
    No commute yesterday due to the type of sinus headache that makes it impossible to see straight. So I worked from home. Had a nice ride back this morning, though. Chilly, but not bad. Grabbed the long route in town.

Had a great ride on Saturday with my son. We went and explored some creek bed. Awesome times. A mix of crust snow, rock, mud, and sand. Fun, fun. Though I suspect that I may have bent my brand new Jackalope wheel. I had a sudden loss of pressure transitioning from dirt to snow, but didn't hit anything during that transition. Looking at the wheel after I got home, it appears that there is a dent in the rim right at the bead shelf where, if I dropped pressure low enough, could get to burp just by pushing on it. Now I just need to figure out if I should take it to the shop to have it actually checked out or just leave it because, obviously, if it is bent that is my bad - though it seems pretty chintzy that one ride off piste would result in a bent rim.

A couple of pictures from the day are over at my blog. Too lazy to post them here. No, I kid. Don't have the images on my work machine.

weirdo
    I never get passed by another cyclist on my commute. Thank god I`m the only one- if there WERE any homeless recycle toting old guy flip-floppin e-bike geezers, I`d be feelin the shame too!

Very windy last night. Wind turned into rain some time in the early morning, but I never caught the rain in the act. It was really weird- every time I went outside the ground was wetter than it had been on the last round, but nothing ever falling from the sky. I was starting to wonder if the building dept had turned on the sprinklers and the water was blowing over until it got light out and I could see that heavy clouds had moved in. On and off snow flurries since then.
    Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    Hi all,
    I've been on Spring Break for the past week...back in action this morning. Did a fun big ride on the fatbike and got it into some snow, which was fun. The 3k feet of climbing on that ride wasn't as fun...ha. Super sore from some back-to-back firewood runs... I never cut wood this early, but you may recall some pics a while back of an epic windstorm we had... they opened up a section of the forest for cutting and it's the easiest firewood you can imagine. Pick a perfect down lodgepole, limb it, buck it, load it...home before lunch.

Rodar, we got snow last night over here, no real rain. That wind was pretty crazy last night, and we woke up to a dusting. Weird.

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-04-14-9.00.24-am.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

guy
    I got smoked on my ride home yesterday. Weather was beautiful and sunny all day, reaching a high of 80F around 3pm. I couldn't wait to get on my bike! Around 5 I looked outside as I was preparing to leave work, and it was dark and cloudy and had just started raining. What a bummer. I had a commitment that evening so I needed to leave anyway, so I changed and loaded my stuff into my backpack and braced myself for a soggy ride home. I was miserable for the first 10 minutes. After anticipating sun and 80F all day, the temperature had dropped to 60 with hard driving rain and strong wind gusts which of course were head on (because when aren't they?).

A funny thing happened after that first ten minutes though. I was completely soaked from head to toe, but for some reason I couldn't stop from smiling like an idiot. There was no lightning so I had nothing to fear from mother nature, and the temperature was still pretty pleasant all things considered. All of a sudden, I felt like a kid playing in the rain. It was fun! The rain was coming down in buckets at one point. Felt like riding through the kid's splash zone at the water park.

And to top it all off, my neighbors were home to give me my spare key, my backpack kept everything inside completely dry despite the downpour, and my shoes haven't been this clear of mud since I bought them! That goes down as one of my most memorable commutes so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Day 2

I wouldn't have it any other way but the commute home last night was nothing but down pour raining. The cool thing about my new "Trunk" is that it has a folded "rain poncho". It did it's job and kept the contents dry. I now understand and appreciate the function of fenders. I don't have them. I would have liked them. High on the list if/when the day comes I purchase a dedicated commuting bike designed for the purpose of commuting.

Ride in this morning was completely overcast and mist/fog. It's only the 2nd day but the Big Apples really do provide a nice ride. I made the commute in the same time frame.

Just starting out though, I think i'm going to give my legs and my butt a day off tomorrow. New saddle is high on my list, but I had to get the tires and the trunk first.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I actually saw someone on a bike this morning, and it was raining nonetheless. I am tired of all the rain we've been getting. My crankset was groaning like a mofo last week. Since my crank is goofy, I had to take off the drive side to check the crankbolts, if you can call them that (tiny little things). They were super loose. I have also started getting a squeak in the back when I pedal. It might be the freehub, or I guess it's possible one of the jockey wheels is rusted a little and needs some lube. The sound tends to go away after I ride for a few minutes. I'm not super concerned about it but should probably take a look.

mtbr member
    60km head winds! Bring it! Yesterdays 60km tail wind was too good to be true i guess, today is yesterdays hangover!
    2015 Trek Farley 6

2016 Specialized Diverge Sport

2017 Trek Top Fuel 9

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Had a great commute this morning. 75F Little tail wind and even got to see a western diamondback sunning on the trail. I made an exception to the whole stay on the trail in order to give him plenty of room. Then about a half mile later saw five more sunning in the trail. The funny thing is there was a jack rabbit and a few quail chilling with the rattlers. They must not have been very hungry. Anyway did 8 miles in 1:04 averaging 7.4mph and 147 heart beats per minutes.

On the way home sucked a bit. I was fighting a 15mph headwind. My computer said it was 91.5F but weather.com said it was only 87. Passed a jogger just before a nasty climb then he passed me on the climb. It was at the last 1.5 miles and I did not have the steam to stop it from happening. I blew past him when it flatted out for little consolation. Despite the headwind and feeling like I was crawling home I actually did the trip home in 59 minutes at 154 heart beats per minute.

Picture of the Diamondback. Sorry its a crappy cell phone picture from a nice safe distance.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ that is pretty sweet, but makes me nervous at the same time. I would have given him plenty of room as well.

Ride today? Awesome. Windy, but still awesome. 63F and sunny on the way in and 53F and clear on the ride home. Still have to wear arm warmers at night with a t shirt to stay warm. Perfect combo tonight to be honest. Wednesday will be the last commute of the week for me as I am off Thursday and will be heading to Chicago on Friday to see my cute little nephew who is now walking. Taking my bike because you always take your bike. Might be acquiring a little something something while I am there. Still in the works.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Chilly ride with spitting drizzle. Would have been better if I'd remembered a jacket and gloves with fingers. I'm pretty new to commuting (only starting my 32nd year) so I'm giving myself a pass. When I'm older (like 60) I'll have learned theses lessons for good.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. A bit windy again in the valley, but decent in town. Seeing more cyclists in the mornings. I kinda miss being the only one out there.

weirdo
    Forster, do you have 32 years commuting by bike or commuting in general? That`s a lot of pedal rotations, if it`s your bike total

Perfect weather, great ride. I took several pictures for Xplorer`s "Calling All Commuters" thread and couldn`t make up my mind between the one I put there and this one, so...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p4152043.jpg  

Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Nice weather here, and terrific trails for the rides home.

Big news yesterday when our city council approved 2 new protected/separated bike routes.

These will run north<>south, which is important because right now there really aren't any options. Getting east<>west isn't bad, but because of where rail lines used to be there we are really lacking good north<>south routes.

The roads they've picked are the ones I would use anyway. Except that right now they're a pain because you have to deal with 4-way stops, badly timed lights, dismounting at various spots, and etc. So I would have been happy if they'd just spent a few bucks to make being a cyclist easier, but if they want to go whole-hog that's okay too.

The final designs haven't been released yet so they might still screw things up. But they do actually seem to be taking it pretty seriously.

The winner of the crazy-online-commentor award goes to:
    How was your commute today?-cclfzlpwiaa0tzs.png

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Forster, do you have 32 years commuting by bike or commuting in general? That`s a lot of pedal rotations, if it`s your bike total

Perfect weather, great ride. I took several pictures for Xplorer`s "Calling All Commuters" thread and couldn`t make up my mind between the one I put there and this one, so...
    32 years of commuting by bike. I figure my lowest mileage years were a minimum 40 rides of 16 miles (round trip) and my high side is probably 100 rides of 20-38 miles (round trip - mileage varies based on road conditions forcing me to drive part way). I've had a few 6K+ years but as I age and get busy with my son the miles have tapered a bit. 2.5K of commuting last year, probably another 500 miles of club rides.

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm just gonna put this here

NDD
    Baby boy
    Sorry commuting lately. No time, just swamped with work and school and preparing for a conference this last weekend and now catching up on work...etc.

That said, yesterday was good. Perfect weather. Saw a guy in cycling kit a mile ahead on the trail. Picked up the pace because I just had to beat him. Gaining on him pretty good for a few minutes and he hit this hill that comes up. As he was rounding the peak he got passed by me - hipster douche in jeans, with a backpack, steel frame single speed - going full speed up the hill. He looked relatively defeated. Give it two weeks, he'll probably whoop me.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

Moderator Moderator
    My rides were fine, but sad...
    A husband and wife went out for a ride yesterday. At 5:30 pm a drunk driver with a "criminally suspended" license hit the husband head on on a back road and killed him. Police: Drunk driver charged in fatal bicycle accident - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Moderator Moderator
    The Weather Channel covers VT Mud Season http://www.weather.com/tv/shows/amhq...son-in-vermont

I'd rather be on my bike
    Another beautiful but windy day here. Getting sick of battling headwinds both ways. Seems like it never fails! Got right hooked by a car, threw my hands up, and then right hooked AGAIN by a trailing car, same right hand turn, right in front of me. Co worker saw the whole thing go down. She asked me about it at a light further down the road. Beat an incoming storm home by at least a half an hour if not more. Radar looked like it was moving pretty fast but I must be faster.

NDD - nice going, you hipster douche in jeans on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My trip in yesterday morning was great! Sunny and (relatively) warm at 3 degrees C. I know it's wrong but I wore ear buds on the way in - I really needed some musical motivation - and got so motivated that I blew away my personal best up this local climb! Yes I use Strava - yes, you can hate me if you like

The trip home? Sunny to start, so I eschewed the Goretex in favour of a regular under shirt + cycling shirt. Then it rained. Freezing cold rain +2degC rain... Which turned to hail (hale?) and thunder about two minutes after I got home

Today's commute in was just fine - except that I had a major brake lock up avoiding another cyclist - I was on the cycle path pedalling down a -2% gradient (doing about 30kph) when this cyclist climbing up the hill in the opposite direction decides to hop from the road to the bike path, crossing right in front of me...

The road goes like;

| bikes v | bikes^| cars v | cars^ |

He came straight from the road (in the correct lane) and across me!

And I thought it was the pedestrians and drivers we needed to look out for...

Oh, and mtbxplorer; I hope that DUI guy gets the full 17 years. Even then it isn't enough.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    The Weather Channel covers VT Mud Season http://www.weather.com/tv/shows/amhq...son-in-vermont
    They make it sounds like it is unique to Vermont. Most states with a deep frost are going to have a mud season.

Sad news about the fatality! You just never know which ride is going to be your last.

We had a chilly start to the morning but I still got in a good ride! Spring (mud season) is in the air - finally!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Another flat on the way home last night, I think that's 6 in the past month. My stack of spare tubes is basically depleted.

This morning however was perfect riding weather. 50F, sunny, a little bit of wind to make it interested. Turned my 6 mile commute into a 15 mile ride around town. Left early and cruised around, it was awesome. Rode the CX bike instead of the SS and I hit 25.7mph on a 25mph speed limit section of road, according to my GPS I hit 29mph at some point on the ride but I'm not sure where I did that.

mtbr member
    38F and light rain this AM. Not my favorite conditions, but it is what it is. Had a nice, longer ride home last night. On track for my first 500 mile month of the year. Will still have to step it up quite a bit to hit my 8K goal for the year. But the days are getting longer, so that'll help quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Had to do drop off with the kiddo this morning, so I had to drive. My wife gets out of work too late to get home in time for me to ride, or even drive to work on time, so I bring him to work with me mornings after she works and she picks him up. I was able to ride Mon/Tues/Wed though, so that was good. That will pretty much be the best I can ever do for the foreseeable future. I figure I'll be averaging 2 days a week this year, with the occasional 3 day week. I'm in the office 4 days, so at least that's more than 50%.

Had a run-in yesterday. I took the lane to turn left at a stop sign and a guy in a pickup got pissed and yelled "get out of the f***ing road s**thead!". I just ignored him. I'm actually a little curious about what many of you would have done in the situation I was in:

There was a T intersection, I was coming from the direction that I had to turn either left or right, I was going left. I had a stop sign, but the other 2 directions didn't. There was a line of maybe 15 cars at the stop sign in the direction I was going. That intersection moves SLOW, so I went around the line of cars (which is legal in MA), then when I got 3 cars from the front, I saw the 2 front cars had their right turn signal on and there was a bit of space between them and the next car (the truck that yelled at me). I merged into the lane so I could turn left. That's when the driver directly behind me got pissed. Would you have waited in the whole line? I'm not sure what I could have safely done otherwise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    38F and light rain this AM. Not my favorite conditions, but it is what it is. Had a nice, longer ride home last night. On track for my first 500 mile month of the year. Will still have to step it up quite a bit to hit my 8K goal for the year. But the days are getting longer, so that'll help quite a bit.
    You kind of make me feel like a wimp. I'll be happy if I get 3k this year.

guy
    I took the last two days off because I had a road race back home on Tuesday that I needed to drive to get to on time, and yesterday I had a job interview on the other side of town in the afternoon. Interview went well but...they don't have any shower facilities and it's kind of out in the boonies. I know I'm a little spoiled with showers at work, but I'm not sure how I would make it work without them. My commute would be 15 miles each way, so I get pretty sweaty, especially in the summer. I guess I can figure that out if I get to that point. Just to think that a year ago I wouldn't have considered commutability in a job decision haha.

Commute this morning was not bad. A bit chilly with a headwind which is unusual for my ride to work in the morning. Cars were all very well behaved. My issue was the other cyclists. I had the slow guy that went around me in the bike lane at every red light to run the red and then I had to pass him again immediately after. I always hope that guys like that will succomb to the peer pressure of being the one that breaks the law when the faster dude is willing to stop and wait, but it rarely works.

Also had to deal with someone riding the wrong way in the bike lane. He saw me coming and moved way out almost to the center line....but then moved right back into the wrong bike lane after I passed him. I shouted a gentle "wrong way man!" but I know it won't do any good.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    back on the bike

2 weeks in the windward islands

9 days sailing.

mtbr member
    My commute in was foggy and snowy. I usually ride the trails to avoid the cars, but, I can't ride the trails when the snow is as deep as it was today. I'm always worried about a car hitting me when I'm on the road, but fortunately no problems today...I don't know how you road bikers do it.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    OK, here is a little Thursday cheer for you all.

WARNING: This video contains the F word. If you are offended by the F word, DON'T CLICK. If you are at work PUT YOUR HEADPHONES ON OR TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN!

This is commuting related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgCqz3l33kU

Bedwards Of The West
    MTBX, that's horrible... no words.

I was getting a squishy tire yesterday on the commute home. Tubeless sealant caught it and saved me from having to do any stopping or anything (score another point for tubeless) but I had to run off and do other things right away when I got home, so I never got to it (was going to give it a shot of sealant and see if I could find the culprit). I forgot about it until this morning when I went to grab the bike... still holding air, but I was nervous... I have nice new tires on the MTB that I don't want to waste on pavement...those things are expensive... so I went for the fatbike (since I now have a fatbike. Have I mentioned that? ). Heavy, slow, glorious commute

I think it's beyond time to take the (unused this year) studs off of the 'cross bike wheels and get that almost-road-bike running again. Man that would feel fast.

mtbr member
    Re Straz85 encounter with the chucklehead at a T intersection--

You played it right. I'm pretty sure I would've done likewise. I try not to mix with traffic, but when I do, I move quickly (nobody would accuse me of dawdling) and I own the lane.

And kudos for ignoring that turkey. I might've invited him to pull over for further discussion on one of my lesser days.
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    They make it sounds like it is unique to Vermont. Most states with a deep frost are going to have a mud season.
    From a great VT author...
    March in Vermont? Here’s to mud in your eye!

One advantage Maine has over VT is plenty of gravel deposits - whereas our dirt is dirt! And we are 55% dirt!

mtbr member
    My commute is about to gain a mile! (a good thing, really) Bridge work is commencing on a key bridge on my shortest/usual route. When I turned the corner this morning to begin the short climb up the bridge, I was greeted with orange barrels and signs. I was able to slip through today in both commutes without offending anybody but I don't think that'll be possible maybe as soon as tomorrow. The hardest part will be giving myself the extra time so I'm not late.

So now I'll be crossing a grand total of two pedestrian bridges for each ride--one being a part of my regular commute--since the next closest crossing of a seriously busy thoroughfare is a ped bridge 1/4 mile past the vehicle bridge that'll be temporarily closing. So, not a real big detour. But more hike-a-bike up (and down) steps...

I'll take a pic soon to post here. I hustle up the steps, shouldering the bike, zip 75ft (?) across on my bike--just enough of a run to get a little speed up (I ride across because no peds are EVER on these :-) only to have to squelch it all with the brakes, dismount and carry the bike down the steps. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for this option. It's the quickest, safest, shortest route across a busy road... but now 2! I'm gonna feel like Rocky!
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    OK, here is a little Thursday cheer for you all.
    Pretty funny, but I like this one better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nMnr8ZirI
    Same sentiment, but no F-ing involved.
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Would you have waited in the whole line? I'm not sure what I could have safely done otherwise.
    Hmmmm.... I most likely would have, but just cause I`m a sheep. Doing it your way also makes sense to me, though. Tough situation- glad it didn`t get ugly.
    Recalculating....